Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Face Off! The Hockey Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: Face Off! The Hockey Thread

Penguins resort to whining.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/re...ing/3229655013

Frustrated Penguins resort to whining

By Ross McKeon, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 48 minutes ago

And here’s about when you figure I trash the Pittsburgh Penguins.

They don’t have a goal since the Eastern Conference finals. Monday night they didn’t have a shot until they trailed the Detroit Red Wings 2-0. All the line juggling from the 4-0 loss in Game 1 to the 3-0 loss in Game 2 amounted to zilch in the Stanley Cup finals. And their coach, Michel Therrien, stooped to whining about the officiating afterward, as if anyone is going to buy that commentary for the reason his team is halfway done for the season.

But no, this is not a time to rag on the vastly talented team that is happy to be heading home after two games in Detroit. This is what would be happening if the opponent was the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers or Montreal Canadiens.

This was exactly what happened when the opponent was the Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche and Nashville Predators.

It’s simple: The Red Wings are head and shoulders above everyone in an otherwise parity-filled league, and time is running out to be proven otherwise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Canucks’ Luc Bourdon killed in motorcycle crash

AP - May 29, 2:55 pm EDT NHL Gallery SHIPPAGAN, New Brunswick (AP)—Luc Bourdon, a promising rookie defenseman with the Vancouver Canucks, was killed Thursday when his motorcycle struck a tractor-trailer in a crash near his hometown. He was 21.

His death was confirmed by sister Eve Bourdon and stepmother Maryse Godin. Both declined further comment when reached at the family’s home in Shippagan.

Police wouldn’t confirm the identity of the victim but said a motorcyclist was killed in the early afternoon on a road between Shippagan and Lameque.

“Luc was an extremely talented player with a bright future,” Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said in a statement. “He brought great passion to the game and was a valued team member on and off the ice.”

Bourdon’s agent, Kent Hughes, called his client a winner and a competitor.

“There was no quit in him,” said Hughes, who knew Bourdon since the player was 15. “He persevered through a lot. He was a great guy and a great teammate.”

Bourdon was the first-round draft pick of the Canucks in 2005, selected 10th overall. He split time this season with the Canucks and the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League. In 27 games with the Canucks, he scored twice and had no assists.

“Through hard work and perseverance, Luc was able to realize his dream of becoming an NHL player,” Paul Kelly, executive director of the players’ union. “Luc had a promising life and career ahead of him and he will certainly be missed.”

Bourdon played on the Canadian team that won the gold medal at the 2006 world junior hockey championship in Vancouver and made the tournament’s all-star team. He helped Canada win another gold at the 2007 tournament in Sweden.

Bourdon played for Val d’Or, Moncton and Cape Breton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before turning pro.

3-1 series to the red wings.
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

Red Wings win the Cup. Ho-hum.
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

With the NHL season over, time to focus on the upcoming NHL draft. Tampa Bay will surely select Sarnia's Steven Stamkos with the #1 pick, but the rest of the lottery slots are wide open. Good draft for defensemen, but a shallow pool of top forwards available.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Hasek announces retirement
    Posted: Monday June 9, 2008 11:34AM; Updated: Tuesday June 10, 2008 1:42AM

DETROIT (AP) -- The passion that made Dominik Hasek great is gone.

So, the goaltender known as the Dominator said goodbye to the Detroit Red Wings and NHL.

"Physically, I'm felling great -- as well as ever," Hasek said Monday as he announced his retirement. "I just don't feel that I'm ready to compete on the highest level.

"I need motivation. Right now, I don't feel it's there and I don't want to disappoint anyone."

Hasek rarely did disappoint during his 16 seasons, becoming the first goalie to be a two-time MVP. He won six Vezina Trophies, trailing only Jacques Plante's total by one.

Hasek's announcement came five days after the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup over Pittsburgh.

Detroit general manager Ken Holland said Hasek's place in history is secured, calling him not only one of the greatest goalies of his era -- along with Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur -- but also one of the best in NHL history.

"He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer," Holland said.

Former Red Wings great Steve Yzerman agreed.

"You're splitting hairs if you pick one between Dom, Roy and Brodeur because they all had different styles," said Yzerman, a team executive and former teammate of Hasek's. "It's like comparing Mercedes, Ferrari to Porsche."

Hasek lost his job during Detroit's run to the Cup, getting benched for good during the opening-round series in favor of Chris Osgood. The 43-year-old from the Czech Republic insisted he would've retired even if he stayed in net throughout the playoffs.

"I am leaving this game feeling very, very happy," he said.

Holland didn't try to persuade Hasek to return for another season.

"There was nothing to discuss," Holland said. "Dom was completely at peace with the decision that he had made."

Holland said minor league goalie Jimmy Howard might get a shot to be Osgood's backup next season, but didn't rule out adding a veteran via trade or free agency.

Hasek won 389 games with the Red Wings, Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks, who drafted him in the 10th round in 1983 and had to wait until the 1990-91 season to get him on the ice. Chicago kept him just two seasons, then watched him become one of the game's greats in Buffalo.

Hasek ranks 10th in NHL history in wins and goals-against average and is tied for sixth in shutouts, according to STATS.

He won 65 playoff games, including 16 in 2002 when he won his first Stanley Cup with Detroit.

"It was our goaltender who made the difference that year," Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said.

Hasek led the Czech Republic to gold at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, was injured while playing for his country in 2006 and laughed when asked if he would come out of retirement to play in 2010 in Vancouver.

He plans to return to the Czech Republic soon with his wife and daughter, leaving his son behind to attend Michigan State University.

During this past regular season, Hasek won 27 games and had a 2.14 goals-against average while alternating with Osgood in net.

Detroit coach Mike Babcock chose to start Hasek in the playoffs -- saying "Dom's not going to struggle" -- then pulled him in favor of Osgood during Game 4 of the first round against the Nashville Predators.

Osgood won his first nine games as a starter in the postseason and finished with a 14-4 record and a league-low 1.55 goals-against average, keeping Hasek on the bench.

After an injury-shortened season with the Senators, Hasek returned to the Red Wings two years ago.

He signed a one-year contract worth $750,000 in 2006 and made $900,000 in bonuses. He chose to stick around last summer with a one-year contract worth more than $2 million in base salary with a chance to earn an additional $2 million in bonuses.

Detroit acquired Hasek the first time in 2001 in a trade with Buffalo, where he had been since 1992. He backstopped the Red Wings to the championship during his first season in Detroit, then retired.

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom, who helped gather about 20 teammates to Joe Louis Arena for Hasek's news conference, said the Dominator's competitive streak made him special.

"He hated to get scored on -- even in practice," Lidstrom said. "If you got one past him, he would yell at you, 'Shoot again!' Of course, that didn't happen very much because he was so good."

Congratulations Red Wings!

not

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Larionov, Anderson elected to Hockey Hall of Fame

Posted: Tuesday June 17, 2008 6:14PM; Updated: Tuesday June 17, 2008 9:07PM

TORONTO (AP) -- It was only a few weeks ago that Igor Larionov and Glenn Anderson were playing exhibition games together in Europe and had a discussion about how nice it would be to enter the Hockey Hall of Fame at the same time.

Turns out it was more than just wishful thinking.

The Russian center and former Edmonton Oilers winger were elected to the Hall on Tuesday along with former linesman Ray Scapinello and junior hockey builder Ed Chynoweth.

Larionov and Anderson were recently in Russia to play during a celebration for Slava Fetisov's 50th birthday and traveled to Belarus to help open an arena on the invitation of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.

"Igor and I were kind of talking about this," said Anderson. "We were thinking if we do get in, it's going to be -- I don't know if we can compare it to what the party was like over in Moscow and in Belarus.

"We'll try our hardest to make it a good one."

It's hard to blame them. They each had to wait.

Many were surprised that Larionov was passed over after first becoming eligible last year. He was graceful in complimenting the 2007 inductees and indicated that it was no less special to receive a call 12 months later.

"I was really overwhelmed by the news," said Larionov. "It's a big, big honor."

The call was even longer coming for Anderson. He's been eligible since 1999 and had to watch as 23 players were enshrined before him during that time.

A 17-man panel is currently responsible for making the Hall selections and at least 75 per cent of those men must endorse a candidate for him to gain election. This was probably Anderson's last really good shot because the NHL lockout kept any new players from playing their last game three years ago and becoming eligible.

Anderson was nervous in recent days and ended up getting a little choked up after finding out he'd be joining several former Edmonton teammates in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"It's very emotional," he said. "This is right up there with one of the great things I've done in life."

The induction ceremony will be held on Nov. 10.

Larionov had already won two Olympic gold medals and was considered one of the top players in the world when he joined the Vancouver Canucks in 1989. He was 29 at the time and among the first wave of Soviet players to come to North America.

Success was slow to come and Larionov found himself battling with San Jose Sharks management after they claimed him on waivers from Vancouver.

The turning point in his NHL career came early one morning in October 1995 when he received a call from Scotty Bowman and found out he'd been acquired by the Detroit Red Wings. Larionov soon found himself playing on a five-man Russian unit with Sergei Fedorov, Slava Kozlov, Vladimir Konstantinov and Fetisov.

He ended up winning three Stanley Cups in Hockeytown.

"Finally I had a chance ... to play the style I was taught to play in Russia," Larionov said. "Puck control, possession, skating and creativity.

"Those eight seasons in Detroit I played for the Red Wings ... that was success, that was fun, that was unbelievable support from the fans and the coaches and all the staff who was putting the team together. It was incredible."

Anderson won six Stanley Cups during his career and ranks fifth in HL history with 93 career playoff goals.

He was known as a big game player and became a key part of the Oilers dynasty. Anderson will now be enshrined with former teammates Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Grant Fuhr and Jari Kurri.

"It's definitely well deserved and long overdue," Gretzky said. "I don't think there was a better playoff pressure player other than maybe Rocket Richard. His championships and statistics speak for themselves and, more importantly, he was an unselfish teammate."

Scapinello began his career as an NHL linesman in 1971 and didn't retire until 33 years later. In the meantime, he worked almost 3,000 career games -- 2,508 in the regular season, 426 in playoffs -- and never missed an assignment.

Chynoweth was a longtime president of the Western Hockey League and helped found the Canadian Hockey League in 1973. He ended up being in charge of both leagues for two decades before stepping down in 1995 to purchase the expansion Kootenay Ice, who went on to win the Memorial Cup in 2002.

Chynoweth died in April at the age of 66 of cancer.

The Hall will also honor former Canadian Press hockey writer Neil Stevens with the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award and broadcaster Mike (Doc) Emrick with the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award.

The things I remember most about Glenn Anderson are his Ned Flanders mustache and Wayne Gretzky's stories about him being an eccentric genius.

Oh, and the story about him trying to take on an entire opposing hockey team all by himself ;D
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

Darn, overall nice-guy Dougie Gilmour didn't get the nod to the Hall.*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast