twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Who Could Have Been

Share/Bookmark

Those Who Could Have Been

I would like to start a thread to remember these well-known basketball players who for some reason or another by force of circumstance or by choice have not lived up or realized their potential, and faded to obscurity. For those who made a choice, it goes to show that there may be life after basketball, but for those who by force of circumstance has not lived up to their hype or expectation, may their lives be a lesson for our aspiring players.

Jet Nieto, 6-1 - Now Doctor Nieto

Michael Facundo,6-4 - There's life after basketball, after all...took his MBA and became a suit.

Danny Francisco, 6-6 - you guys at the Ateneo can spin a better story about him.I leave it to you.

Stevenson Solomon, 6-4 - Muscular center for the San Sebastian Stags, wasnt able to play a game for the Stags in the NCAA, but part of the team that beat the Danny Francisco-led Eagles for the national title. Became no more than a marginal player or trade bait in the PBA bacause of career ending eye injuries which made him partially blind.

Edgardo Carvajal, 6-6 Key player of Jose Rizal's last NCAA Champion team in 1972 along with Philip Cezar... A head injury necessitated a brain operation which rendered him incapacitated and he became a vegetable for the rest of his life.

Bonifacio de Jesus, 6-8 - Member of that great 1978 RP Youth team which featured JVYango, Joel Banal, Chito Loyzaga, Gary Vargas, etc. Never made the pros, and died mysteriously in the 1980s.

John Copada, 6-5 Reed-thin San Beda Red Cub, was on the 1982 edition of the RP Youth Team coached by Ron Jacobs. The starting center slot was his but left the team before the tournament began, and Lasalle's Tonichi Yturri took his place. Never been heard from ever since.

Raul Dillo, 7-2 - Tallest ever native Filipino player, was slow afoot and never really developed and became more of a circus act. Went to try out at different colleges, among them San Beda and UE in the 1990s, but has faded into oblivion and* last seen in a TV Patrol segment as having married a very tall woman and living a quiet life...

We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Re: Those Who Could Have Been

Quote Originally Posted by MonL

Jet Nieto, 6-1 - Now Doctor Nieto

Michael Facundo,6-4 - There's life after basketball, after all...took his MBA and became a suit.
    Good thread.

I think Jet Nieto even had a year of eligibility left but decided to enter med school instead.

Mike Facundo was in the Honors class from GS to HS and got his MBA at Harvard. Basketball to him was a hobby.

Cardel and Quilban.
    Jun Reyes
    Eddie Laure

Speaking of Gary Vargas. I thought the goggled flyer with the "pang-poster" jumpshot left the game a little too early. Some say he had a drug habit that forced him to leave the league prematurely.

To add to the list, the career-ending injuries Mike Bilbao suffered from a vehicular accident robbed him of 5-6 more productive years in the pros. Makes you also wonder how far fellow Green Archer great Lim Eng Beng would have gone in his career if not for injuries.

And how about William Pearson? A few years after Crispa's break up nothing have been heard from him since.

Quote Originally Posted by admuhs_upengg
    Good thread.*

I think Jet Nieto even had a year of eligibility left but decided to enter med school instead.

Mike Facundo was in the Honors class from GS to HS and got his MBA at Harvard.* Basketball to him was a hobby.

Cardel and Quilban.*
    Jun Reyes
    Eddie Laure
    Eddie Laure is back in the PBA, he's currently with Alaska.

Mike Hrabak?

Wesley Gonzales - soon to be "those who could have been"; seldomly used by SMB.

Nestor Echano - Anthony, whatever happened to Nestor? Diba he was with the Metrostars in 1998? And was he a UAAP MVP in 1992?

Rainier Sison - if he ended up in a team that can really utilize his skills. he came out in FedEx under Joe Lipa but was waived when coach Joe resigned.

Vince Hizon - if he didn't move to the MBA, he could have probably reached greater heights in the PBA

Richie Ticzon?

Oh yeah, Johndel Cardel blossomed with the Negros Slashers. I remember this guy cried his heart out when the Negros Slashers lost DJ de Jarlo.

Quilban - this guy held the PBA record for most assists in a game (28, i believe)

Biboy Simon - never blossomed in the PBA, despite the MBA record holder for most points in a game (52, against the Metrostars)

Gherome Ejercito and Omanzie Rodriguez - I think they're rotting at the Red Bull bench

Oh, I remember Dondon Hontiveros back with Tanduay in 2000. Alfancis Chua would only make him play during the garbage minutes of the ballgame. Good thing he was traded to San Miguel

lots of MBA guys? hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by freak

Eddie Laure is back in the PBA, he's currently with Alaska.
    My point exactly, he's fallen so far off the radar, I didn't even know he was back in the PBA and I even watched the Alaska vs Coca Cola game at the Araneta.

During the basketball show last night featuring the Red Bull lucky with Blue Eagles segment. In the practices they had while Coach Yeng was being interviewed, the prectice players seems to have Hrabak in the background. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by cricohermoso
    Oh yeah, Johndel Cardel blossomed with the Negros Slashers. I remember this guy cried his heart out when the Negros Slashers lost DJ de Jarlo.

Quilban - this guy held the PBA record for most assists in a game (28, i believe)

Biboy Simon - never blossomed in the PBA, despite the MBA record holder for most points in a game (52, against the Metrostars)

Gherome Ejercito and Omanzie Rodriguez - I think they're rotting at the Red Bull bench

Oh, I remember Dondon Hontiveros back with Tanduay in 2000. Alfancis Chua would only make him play during the garbage minutes of the ballgame. Good thing he was traded to San Miguel

lots of MBA guys? hmm.
    a lot of players who initially played in the MBA became one season wonders in the PBA..

a good example is Biboy Simon, he was the MBA's top scorer, he would almost always be the highest pointer in every game he played but when he tried to barge into the PBA, he was a marked man and he never got over the defense thrown at him.

though there are still ex MBA players still playing well in the PBA (Hontiveros, Ferriols, etc) the majority of the guys were either released/waived by teams after their first few seasons in the league.

biboy simon was already way past his athletic prime when he finally entered the PBA. he must have been at least 32 years old when he debuted for fedex.

eugene quilban never corrected his wayward ways and was cut from sta lucia, his last PBA team, many years back. he was a gambler and womanizer, and i won't be surprised if he spent all his career earnings on booze. his last known address was in the cubao area.

mike hrabak continues to nurse an injury and was deactivated from the purefoods roster. there's no telling when he'll be back.

nestor echano is now the US. ditto gary vargas. willie pearson is considered a fugitive under philippine laws after he was served an arrest warrant for tax evasion. he is also in the states, reportedly in hawaii.

boni de jesus died in his sleep way back in the 80s. i remember a classmate clipping the news of his death and tacking it on the corkboard in our classroom.

bong solomon is now working as a concierge at a large hotel in dubai or someplace in the middle east. by the way, yves dignadice now works as a porter at the san francisco int'l airport.

never heard of what happened to john copada, though. he left the 1982 RP youth roster reportedly because of persistent migraine attacks.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

about danny francisco, he prematurely retired from the game after he was diagnosed with marfan syndrome, a congenital disorder that could turn fatal if he continued to pursue his very promising athletic career. read about the condition here: http://www.americanheart.org/present...entifier=4672]
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast