twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL thread

Share/Bookmark

The NFL thread

With discussions of Michael Vick's legal problems and the NFL pre-season games being shown on TV, now would be a good time to create a new thread that is all about the news, players, and games about the NFL.

I've been trying to access the Solar Sports website to see their schedule for the pre-season games, but their website is off-line for some reason. Anyway, they showed the Giants-Ravens game last Monday on television.

As a general rule, I root for 1 team in the West, and 1 team from the East. Since the Colts have finally won the Super Bowl under Peyton Manning, my favourites now are the Bengals (Carson Palmer fan, even if half the team have criminal records) and the San Diego Chargers (LT is just fun to watch) to try for the Super Bowl.

Should be a great 2007-2008 season to come. Let's hope they don't have any referee scandals!

Re: The NFL thread

in the AFC, i always rooted for the oakland raiders and the denver broncos since the time of marcus allen and john elway, respectively. in the NFC, it was the san francisco 49ers and the washington redskins. with the exception of the 49ers, these teams are known for throwing the long strike behind the bazooka arms of their quarterbacks. the last NFL team that i saw throw the long ball with any consistency was the st louis rams with kurt warner at quarterback. i dunno, i just love seeing the quarterback make a seven-step drop and launch it deep into the end zone. that's why i miss fireballers like dan marino, elway, jim kelly, warren moon, randall cunningham, and doug williams.

these days, though, the new defenses devised by coaching geniuses such as tony dungy like the cover-2, where the linebackers run all over the sidelines and back on deep coverage, have all but eliminated the lethal effectiveness of deep passes. nowadays, offenses are trying to set up the run with the pass, the opposite of which was the norm in football until just 10 years ago. and the team that launched this paradigm shift was the 49ers of head coach bill walsh with his "west coast" offense. he died of leukemia early this month, and perhaps the ultimate tribute that can be paid to him is the fact that every NFL team today runs a variation of his "west coast" sets. he was that influential.
    Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

go packers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

i always figure that with tom brady as quarterback, the new england patriots will always contend for the super bowl. it's his mobility, arm, and big-game presence of mind that stand out whenever he picks apart even the toughest secondaries in the league. that's why it's to the utmost interest to the pats' success that he remains injury-free. if not, then it'll be his backup vinny testaverde who'll take over--at age 43. he was originally drafted as a heisman winner by the tampa bay buccaneers in 1986 ;D

been a patriots fan since tom brady's emergence... ;D he's the quintessential underdog, didn't have an impressive collegiate career, and if i'm not mistaken, was even a backup when new england drafted him in the 6th round, #199 overall. other quarterbacks have better arms and better athleticism, but none have better intangibles, IMHO.

that's why i no longer get excited with 1st-round QB prospects...for every peyton manning, there's a ryan leaf who bombs out in a big way. but it's in the latter rounds where the real untapped talent emerges...like tom brady.
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensauceph

San Diego... SuperChargers! woo hoo...

want to set-up a fantasy league here as well?
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

Quote Originally Posted by irateluvmachine
    been a patriots fan since tom brady's emergence... ;D he's the quintessential underdog, didn't have an impressive collegiate career, and if i'm not mistaken, was even a backup when new england drafted him in the 6th round, #199 overall. other quarterbacks have better arms and better athleticism, but none have better intangibles, IMHO.
    If Drew Bledsoe (now retired) didn't get injured in the 2nd game of 2001 when New England won the Super Bowl, Tom Brady might still be a back-up, or trying to get the starting job on other NFL teams.

Bledsoe was full of hype, being the #1 overall pick in 1993, but Tom Brady has clearly passed him in terms of achievements and accolades. Brady's story is an inspiration for quarterbacks everywhere that they can succeed in the league without all the flash and hype that surrounds a lot of NFL players these days.

Raiders loyalist here.* Somehow they've taken their "Commitment to Excellence" to the hilt:* when they're good they blow opponents way out into San Francisco Bay and when they suck they suck bigtime.* No place for mediocrity for these clowns.* I wish Tatang Al Davis would get out of the driver seat and just ride into the sunset.* Despite Al being a football genius, the game has passed him by.* Hand the reins to a football person who knows the game inside and out and get the hell out of the way.* By the way, I found this thing on the Raiders' website:* "Raiders in Tagalog"

http://www.raiders.com/Tagalog/Default.aspx?id=23698

For those old enough to remember, check out the by-line.* Is it really him?

On an "usapang barbero" note, I'd love to see someday a primetime NFL player with pure Noyps blood running through his veins.* Second generation works well for me though a home grown, "never-played-a-down-in-Inang-Pinas-and-learned-the-game-while-on-academic-scholarship-at-USC,-Notre Dame,-etc." player would even be better.* Sure there were a couple of players with a fraction of Pinoy roots like Roman Gabriel, but nothing beats a balot-eating, cuts meat with a spoon q-back, linebacker or wide rec.

jaco D, i see it but i don't believe it. sya nga yun.

about al davis, i agree that the game has passed him by, although i doubt if he'd want to ride into the sunset. after all he, still owns the team.

the mom of pats linebacker teddy bruschi is related to someone i know ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bangag
    the mom of pats linebacker teddy bruschi is related to someone i know ;D
    Ben, I had Teddy in mind though I wasn't sure if his pinoy links were "by blood" through his mother or "by law" through his wife.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast