twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stacks: A Book Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Stacks: A Book Thread

Binabasa ko ngayon ang THE NAME OF THE ROSE ni Umberto Eco, katatapos ko pa lang nung FOCAULT'S PENDULUM na akda din niya. Ano kaya hinihithit nitong si Eco sa Roma? Puro kapraningan ang kanyang mga akda, sarap sigurong maging ganun ka-high.

Ay si Cho Chang... hirap talaga ng maagang maging DOM...
    "Kung ayaw mong masaktan mag-chess ka na lang!"

Recommended Reading:

"Angela's Ashes"
    by Frank McCourt
    Pinaghalong kurot-sa-puso at kiliti-sa-tagiliran.

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini
    Heart-tugging tale of ass-f***ing Afghans. With kite-fighting and Taliban executions thrown in.

"Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi
    Half-academic dissertation, half-memoir. Sorry, no nymphets here.

"Rogue Warrior" by Richard Marcinko
    True-to-life kick-ass autobiography of the founder of Seal Team Six (now officially designated as NAVSPECWARDEVGRU). In the book, Marcinko admits he would have willingly killed a busload of school kids during the disastrous 1980 Iran hostage rescue operation.

Wish List:
    "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab (pseudonym)
    Major snafu as scud-hunting mission goes bloody bollocks! Eight-man British SAS squad try to escape 120 miles to the Syrian border to elude Iraqi forces, killing 250 along the way. While later criticized as an embellished account of what actually happened, probably still makes for a good action-packed, HK MP5-toting yarn. SAS Rules! SEALs Suck!

"Catalonia is a country and FC Barcelona is their army."
                                                              --Bobby Robson

COMICS:

"JLA vs. Avengers" written by Gerry Conway and illustrated by George Pérez
    One of the many Marvel-DC crossovers. Four-part series where Supes KOs Thor; Cap and Batman fight to a draw; and Iron Man discovers a more pleasurable use for Wonder Woman's magic lasso (he-he-he, not really).

--Bobby Robson

OTHER COMICS:

"Marvel's Civil War" written by Mark Millar and illustrated by Steve McNiven
    Marvel's take on the US Patriot Act. The series included Spiderman's voluntary unmasking, and the subsequent assassination of Captain America.

"The Runaways" created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona
    One of Marvel's hottest titles. No spandex costumes. No superhero aliases. No battle cries (Unless you count "Try not to die" as a slogan in the mold of "Avengers Assemble!" and "It's Clobberin' Time!") Nico Minoru is hot. Karolina Dean is even hotter (when she isn't a man, that is). And Molly Hayes is cute in a statutory kind of way. Joss Whedon of Buffy The Vampire Slayer fame currently writes the series with Michael Ryan illustrating.

--Bobby Robson

Mabalik sa libro.

My recommendations for a religious reading combination:

"The Tomb of God: The Body of Jesus and the Solution to a 2,000-Year-Old Mystery " by Richard Andrews and Paul Schellenberger
    Uses geometry to unlock hidden messages in paintings. The little-known Sauniere mystery serves as a jump-off point and the authors conclude that Christ's tomb is deep inside a mountain in France. It must be said that one of their assertions give lie to their claim. Still a good read though (except for the geometric explanations, which can be rather tiring after nth iteration).

"Holy Blood. Holy Grail." by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln
    Been looking for this since i was in grade 6. Only read it last year. Didn't live up to my (20+ years) expectations. Failed to push me from a borderline agnostic into a full-blown atheist.

"The Da Vinci Code" by you-know-who
    You know what.

Wish List:
    "The Historical Jesus" by ?????????
    Sa dami na palang libro with this tile, i forgot which is the original and which is the most "scholarly."

"The Holy Bible" by ?????????
    He-he-he. Alam ko yung "thunder" pero ano ang "brimstone" (para maiwasan at mailagan ko).

--Bobby Robson

Wampumtribe:

Brimstone's an old name for sulphur.
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

Thanks atenean_blooded.

Ooops, it's "fire" and brimstone pala, hindi "thunder." Oo nga naman. As an instrument of divine wrath, hindi makakasakit ang thunder. Nakakagulat lang.

--Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by WampumTribe
    Thanks atenean_blooded.

Ooops, it's "fire" and brimstone pala, hindi "thunder." Oo nga naman. As an instrument of divine wrath, hindi makakasakit ang thunder. Nakakagulat lang.

Ewan ko lang. Zeus throws lightning bolts, and I think that's what the image is supposed to allude to.

And I don't think "nakakagulat" is the best way to describe getting hit by a lightning bolt thrown at you out of divine wrath. ;D
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

I am revisiting Dostoevsky, re-reading a collection of short stories that includes THE DOUBLE, NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND and others. I usually have long smokes and Stolichnaya vodka straight up to go with it. If I could get any sort of decent Ossetra caviar in this town I'd have some of that with short bread as well.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Maganda ba yung Harry Potter ngayon?
    Shoot 6-24? No problem. Got my 5th ring.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast