twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stacks: A Book Thread

Share/Bookmark

The Stacks: A Book Thread

Since we've got stuff on food, travel, and celebrities, it's high time we had a book thread. Write about any book you like, and any book you'd recommend. You can write about anything, as long as it's book-related, actually.

To start things off, I was pleased when I finished cramming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows into a morning-to-afternoon's worth of reading. Aside from the fact that that last duel was so Pinoy action movie in that it had an excessive amount of dialogue, this book had some parts that were better than Azkaban, which was the best book in the series until this came along. Now it's a good toss-up between the two.

Currently reading:

- A pile of textbooks, and several zillion lose sheets of paper
    - The Selected Poetry of Yehuda Amichai, translated by Chana Bloch & Stephen Mitchell
    - Beautiful Evidence by Edward Tufte

Reading with: a pot of earl gray tea, some soda crackers
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

Re: The Stacks: A Book Thread

ano yung soda crackers mo, may spread/ palaman o plain?
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    ano yung soda crackers mo, may spread/ palaman o plain?
    Plain lang. They're salty enough. Hehe.

----

"We will kill them all."

i used to be into fiction, but these days i'm more into history and biographies. the latest book that i read was taylor branch's parting the waters, which is about the united states during the early part of martin luther king's civil rights years from 1954 to 1963. interesting things i learned about this book:

1. the author claims that contrary to popular belief, martin luther king was influenced less by mahatma gandhi and more by the writings of reinhold niebuhr, a theologian who also wrote on pacifism.

2. MLK learned to organize mass meetings on civil disobedience by studying how evangelist billy graham launched his crusades and tent revivals.

3. in his early days as pastor, reverend king was known simply as "mike."

4. the kennedy brothers were not as sincere and benevolent in their support of civl rights at the onset. JFK repeatedly capitulated in his views on racial integration, while his brother, attorney general robert, authorized wiretaps on king's home and offices. the term more suited for them would be "manipulative."

marami pang interesting revelations.
    Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

Blooded, care to reveal the plot and climax of The Deathly Hollows? ;D

Did Harry die?

I have this novel by Michael McDowell called Darkwater (i think, its lost already). Its a horror story about an amphibious creature that disguises as a human. She married one of the member of the wealthiest familay at Perdido Alabama and kills her husbands family one by one.

It has 6 books. It starts with The Flood, then The House, The Levee, The War and concludes with Rain. I forgot the 2nd book. He writes like Stephen King. Very good read but this is old already.
    Everything's Eventual

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Blooded, care to reveal the plot and climax of The Deathly Hollows??* ;D

Did Harry die?
    I'd hate to reveal the plot and climax of Deathly Hallows. Maybe next week, when everybody should have read it already. ;D

But I'll share a bit, using a spoiler that my friends and I have been circulating via SMS:

"Harry f****d Ginny! Ron f****d Hermione!"

;D

----

"We will kill them all."

No kidding???!!!!! What happened to Cho Chang??? Who f****** her? ;D Cant be Cedric. ;D
    Everything's Eventual

teka muna. please avoid discussing any details about eagerly-awaited recent releases, especially ...deathly hallows, for the benefit of those who have yet to read them but are planning to in the coming days and weeks. dark knight, if you wish to discuss the latest harry potter book with atenean blooded, you may use the PM function
    Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

Ok. Sorry sir.
    Everything's Eventual

^I used to read Dan Brown Books, so far, I read Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and Digital Fortress.

Aside from the controversial Da Vinci Code, I also liked Deception Point. Is there any Dan Brown books available aside from the four that I mentioned. I would like to read another Dan Brown Book.

I also finished reading the Bourne Series, now that Bourne Ultimatum is ready on the big screen. Any news of another sequel of this novel?

I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, so no spoiler please. :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast