twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

long time no post here huh.

Brandon Vera lost earlier to his Brazilian opponent in what I think was a premature call. yes Vera was receiving huge hammer punches but he's still defending and covering his face. boooooo.

in the other match, I find the fight between Thales Leitus and Nate Marquardt very entertaining, with Leitus emerging as the winner even though he had his nose broken.
    ANIMO!

Quote Originally Posted by cub
    long time no post here huh.

Brandon Vera lost earlier to his Brazilian opponent in what I think was a premature call. yes Vera was receiving huge hammer punches but he's still defending and covering his face. boooooo.

in the other match, I find the fight between Thales Leitus and Nate Marquardt very entertaining, with Leitus emerging as the winner even though he had his nose broken.
    Dan Miragliotta has his second questionable officiating in two weeks. He officiated EliteXC's Kimbo Slice vs. Thompson which is obviously, fixed. He should be banned for life.

Brandon Vera was clearly robbed but blocking punches without doing any counters, hug, roll, etc. against a Brazilian MMA black belt in full mount in ground and pound is not a good move.

Vera should have not done that since he's doing well in standup and he winded Wernum once in an exchange.

Does Vera still fight under the heavyweight division? If yes, then he might re-think again and fight in a lower weight class, say light heavyweight or the same class as George St. Pierre (is that middleweight or welterweight?). Hindi pang heavyweight and body structure ni Vera.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreeze_bibby
    Does Vera still fight under the heavyweight division? If yes, then he might re-think again and fight in a lower weight class, say light heavyweight or the same class as George St. Pierre (is that middleweight or welterweight?). Hindi pang heavyweight and body structure ni Vera.
    Rush is on the welterweight division. if vera will cut weight, the best he could do is light heavy, where rampage, chuckie, and wandy will be waiting for him.
    I want a spider vs machida match. i dont think its gonna be boring. if machida slows silva, thats something. if silva hits consecutive knees, thats equally something.

Vera can dominate UFC's heavyweight division because he can handle the "big and fat" fighters like Tim Sylvia and submit Brock Lesnar. He's one of the fastest and dangerous strikers in that division. Going down is not the best thing to do since the light heavyweight division is way too talented.

His chin will be checked on heavyweight. I can't believe Werdum's "pamatay langaw" blows were effective in Dan Miragliotta's eyes.

Watch out for another upcoming 6'0" Filipino MMA fighter Mark Muñoz in WEC. He trains with Vera at Alliance Training Center and is now currently 4-0. He TKO'd 6'6" Chuck Grisby last WEC 34. Grisby is now under indefinite suspension due to serious head injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Semenelin
    Rush is on the welterweight division. if vera will cut weight, the best he could do is light heavy, where rampage, chuckie, and wandy will be waiting for him.
    I want a spider vs machida match. i dont think its gonna be boring. if machida slows silva, thats something. if silva hits consecutive knees, thats equally something.
    Machida is boring on standup. Machida-Ortiz was full of hype but was not PPV worthy. Anderson Silva is superb striker with strong BJJ ground game and I expect Machida to use the whole area of the Octagon again when Spider wants standup.

One thing great about Brandon, is the guy speaks Tagalog fluently. When interviewed by Dyan Castillejo over at ABS-CBN, Brandon said something like, "..... kaya ko naman yung mga suntok, e. Bigla lang hininto agad ...."
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Schortsanitis
    One thing great about Brandon, is the guy speaks Tagalog fluently. When interviewed by Dyan Castillejo over at ABS-CBN, Brandon said something like, "..... kaya ko naman yung mga suntok, e. Bigla lang hininto agad ...."
    His father raised them as a Filipino. They speak Tagalog in their household.

For those who didn't get to watch "The Last Emperor" against Sylvia, here it is -> LINK

Lesnar faces must-win against Herring

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

On Saturday night, Brock Lesnar goes into the cage with Heath Herring to answer a question: Is previous fame heading into a mixed martial arts career a blessing or a curse?

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment star, is one of the greatest athletic prospects to ever come into the sport. He has size, strength and, most of all, incredible quickness and reflexes for a man who had to cut weight to make the 265-pound heavyweight limit.

But as he heads into Saturday’s UFC 87 showdown against rugged veteran Heath Herring, he runs the risk that his headlining fame will be over just as quickly as it started.

“There’s always pressure to win in every circumstance,” said Lesnar. “Me, being very new, nobody wants to follow a loser. I don’t want to say my back is against the wall, but I put pressure on myself. There’s no added pressure in my mind, but I want to win the fight.”

Lesnar can’t afford a second straight loss on a major pay-per-view event and still be considered a long-term main eventer.

And with a hefty contract, Lesnar (1-1 overall; 0-1 UFC) is unlikely to be kept around unless he can be a major pay-per-view seller. It’s not a lock that if he loses he’ll be gone, but if he looks bad or is knocked out, it’s a distinct possibility. UFC last year cut Mirko Cro Cop, a similarly highly paid heavyweight, after two losses.

“I plan on being around for a while,” said Lesnar.

Read complete article here- http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast