twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

ADDENDUM: Two Filipinos will be fighting in another Martial Combat event tomorrow, August 19, 2010 in Singapore. It will be Ole 'Iron Fist' Laursen versus Nicolas Leconte of the USA in the 70kg Division, and then Sabah 'Persian Warrior' Fadai against Doo Jae Jung 'Dragonball' of South Korea.

Good luck to both fighters. Here is the link for more info: http://www.rwmartialcombat.com/popup...card.php?day=8

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

Here is Eduard Folayang's fight against Bao She Ri Gu Leng, the first of five parts. The rest of the fight can be accessed on the right side of the page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bx_hi0bw6Q

"The Landslide" was behind the first two rounds, before starting to dominate on the third, on his way to winning the fight convincingly.

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

* Here is the news result of Folayang's victory over Ri Gu Leng, with pics: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/15...d-current-urcc

* Congratulations to Angelito Manguray for his impressive victory over Shane Wiggand of the USA in yesterday's (Wednesday, August 17, 2010) Martial Combat 7 event. Here are excerpts of the news report:

"And in the quickest fight of the night, Shane Wiggand lost to Angelito Manguray in the first round.

As a 42-year-old doctor, Manguray is one of the sport's most colourful characters fighting with a traditional karate background.

The contest was over after Wiggand attempted to clinch and was pulled to the ground. Manguray found himself in the dominant position and started pelting the American with a barrage of unanswered punches.

The referee had to examine Wiggand and eventually called a halt to the contest to prevent further punishment from the Filipino. It was a very impressive performance from Manguray, the latest in a long line of fighters from the Philippines to enjoy success at Resorts World® Sentosa Martial CombatTM."

Read the full article here: http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports...reigns-Reiner/

Re: UFC 119 Results

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcearly092510

Mir knocks out ‘Cro Cop’ in UFC 119 main event

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Frank Mir knocked out Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic on Saturday in the main event of UFC 119 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, a knee to the chin in the final minute putting an end to what up until that point had been one of the worst main events in modern Ultimate Fighting Championship history.

Mir and Filipovic did next to-nothing for 14 minutes, drawing the ire of the large crowd, which booed lustily from the middle of the bout on. As the men grappled with their backs to the cage, Mir pulled Filipovic’s head down and kneed him on the chin. Filipovic went down hard and Mir finished him with a couple of hard shots from the top before referee Herb Dean stopped it with 58 seconds left.
    More From Kevin Iole

That was about the only action in an otherwise awful main event. Mir said his plan was to get the fight to the ground to use his jiu-jitsu, but they stayed standing almost the entire way to the finish.

“It looked kind of ugly, but I’d rather pull off an ugly win rather than get an ugly loss,” said Mir, a former UFC heavyweight champion who improved to 14-5.

Filipovic didn’t know what had happened at the finish and came over and asked Mir what went on at the end.

Filipovic dropped to 27-8-2.

Ryan Bader, the winner of Season 8 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” moved toward a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. All three judges had it 30-27 for Bader, who is 12-0. Yahoo! Sports scored it 29-28 for Nogueira.

The win likely will lead to a match between two of the UFC’s top prospects, pitting Bader against highly touted Jon “Bones” Jones.

Bader’s wrestling was the difference in the fight, as he took down Nogueira several times and kept the Brazilian off-balance with the threat of the shot. In the first, Bader took down Nogueira and landed two huge rights from the top that had Nogueira in trouble.

“The good thing about being a wrestler is having him guess and being able to dictate where the fight goes,” Bader said.

Chris Lytle and Matt Serra each have black belts in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but they stood and traded punches for the entire fight in an entertaining three-round welterweight battle. That style of fight, though, benefited Lytle, a former professional boxer, who pulled out a unanimous decision over the ex-champion.

All three judges scored the fight 30-27 for Lytle. Yahoo! Sports had Lytle, 30-26.

“What kind of idiot wants to box with the Indiana state boxing champion?” Sherk asked following the fight, joking.

Lytle’s right hand consistently found a home. But in the second, he began mixing in hooks and uppercuts and tore apart Serra in a rematch of the finale from “The Ultimate Fighter 4,” which Serra won.

“I give Matt Serra all the credit in the world, because he could have come in here and tried to make it boring, but he was moving forward the whole time,” said Lytle, an Indianapolis fireman who was fighting in front of his hometown crowd.

Sean Sherk and Evan Dunham put on a mixed martial arts clinic in their lightweight fight, as Sherk survived several deep chokes to pull out a split decision victory. All three judges scored the bout 29-28, with Glenn Trowbridge and Cecil Peoples scoring it for Sherk and Kevin Caldwell seeing it for Dunham. Yahoo! Sports had it 29-28 for Dunham, giving Dunham the final two rounds.

UFC president Dana White clearly thought Dunham won. On his Twitter account, he wrote, “Robbed! Judging (expletive) sucks.” The crowd concurred, booing Sherk during his post-fight interview.

Dunham caught Sherk, a former UFC lightweight champion, with two very deep chokes in the first round, but Sherk managed to slip his neck out on each occasion. Sherk wound up in Dunham’s guard after escaping one and drilled Dunham with a big elbow that opened a nasty gash over Dunham’s right eye.

“I was breathing, but all the chokes were tight,” said Sherk, who fought for the first time since losing to Frankie Edgar 16 months ago. “You can ask any of my training partners; I’m hard to choke.”

The crowd booed lustily when the decision was announced, but Dunham accepted the first defeat of his career graciously.

“You can never tell what the judges are thinking,” said Dunham, now 11-1. “I was excited and having fun being in there and having the crowd join me in my fun.”

In the first bout of the pay-per-view portion of the card, Melvin Guillard outlasted bitter rival Jeremy Stephens, winning a split decision. Judges saw it 29-28 and 30-27 for Guillard and 29-28 for Stephens. Yahoo! Sports had Guillard 29-28.

The fight wasn’t nearly as heated as had been expected. Guillard circled most of the night and the men rarely traded, as they had promised to do.

Muñoz: I tried for finish Barnatt

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/17/2015 5:58 PM

Mark Muñoz got the lion's share of applause from the Mall of Asia Arena crowd on Saturday. Photo by Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Muñoz did his best to finish Luke Barnatt in their UFC Fight Night Manila showdown but had to settle for a wide unanimous decision victory as "The Big Slow" proved to be a tough nut to crack.

Muñoz battered Barnatt right from the opening bell, repeatedly taking him down and using ground and pound, while shaking off the knee strikes attempted by the Englishman.

Barnatt not only survived Muñoz's onslaught in the first round, he also got a few good hits of his own in the second, before fading down the stretch in the third.

"I was trying to knock him out," Muñoz stated in the post-fight press conference. "I really did."

"I tried to knock him out, but he can take some shots. He's got a chin on him," he added.

Muñoz said he was happy that Barnatt came to fight. "I didn't want him to lay down," he said.

"He's tough. I didn't want anybody to lay down for me. I wanted to earn it," he added.

Barnatt for his part was gracious in defeat. In an Instagram post, he called Muñoz "a true gentleman" and wished him well on his retirement.

"Good luck helping your son become an All-American," Barnatt also wrote. "He has one hell of a coach!"

Barnatt, however, also acknowledged that the loss to Muñoz is likely to have implications on his UFC career, as it was his third defeat in a row.

"I know that's three in a row," he wrote on Twitter. "But two split decisions, and giving it my all tonight. I'm ready to go again right now. Talk soon, (UFC president) Dana White."
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Muñoz: I tried for finish Barnatt

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/17/2015 5:58 PM

Mark Muñoz got the lion's share of applause from the Mall of Asia Arena crowd on Saturday. Photo by Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Muñoz did his best to finish Luke Barnatt in their UFC Fight Night Manila showdown but had to settle for a wide unanimous decision victory as "The Big Slow" proved to be a tough nut to crack.

Muñoz battered Barnatt right from the opening bell, repeatedly taking him down and using ground and pound, while shaking off the knee strikes attempted by the Englishman.

Barnatt not only survived Muñoz's onslaught in the first round, he also got a few good hits of his own in the second, before fading down the stretch in the third.

"I was trying to knock him out," Muñoz stated in the post-fight press conference. "I really did."

"I tried to knock him out, but he can take some shots. He's got a chin on him," he added.

Muñoz said he was happy that Barnatt came to fight. "I didn't want him to lay down," he said.

"He's tough. I didn't want anybody to lay down for me. I wanted to earn it," he added.

Barnatt for his part was gracious in defeat. In an Instagram post, he called Muñoz "a true gentleman" and wished him well on his retirement.

"Good luck helping your son become an All-American," Barnatt also wrote. "He has one hell of a coach!"

Barnatt, however, also acknowledged that the loss to Muñoz is likely to have implications on his UFC career, as it was his third defeat in a row.

"I know that's three in a row," he wrote on Twitter. "But two split decisions, and giving it my all tonight. I'm ready to go again right now. Talk soon, (UFC president) Dana White."
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5