twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Dukes Up: The Boxing Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: Dukes Up: The Boxing Thread

Ngk, ano daw nangyari? i was beating him last night sa fight night 3 sa PS2... ako si Pacquiao...

Quote Originally Posted by christian
    Ngk, ano daw nangyari? i was beating him last night sa fight night 3 sa PS2... ako si Pacquiao...
    Motorcycle accident daw. May his soul rest in peace.
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

Diego (Chico) Corrales, who won titles in two weight classes and was involved in one of the most memorable fights in recent times, died Monday in a motorcycle accident, his promoter said. He was 29.

Gary Shaw said Corrales was driving his motorcycle at a high rate of speed when he ran into the back of a car about 15 kilometres west of the Las Vegas Strip on Monday night.

"He's laying there as we speak with a helmet on his head under a sheet," Shaw said. "It appears he was thrown a great distance."

Shaw said Corrales, whose career had faltered in recent fights, had recently bought a racing motorcycle, which he was apparently riding at the time he was killed.

"He fought recklessly and he lived recklessly," Shaw said. "That was his style."

Las Vegas police spokesman Jose Montoya said the victim in the accident was wearing a helmet, and it was not known if drugs or alcohol was involved.

"No tests have been done. We're still investigating," Montoya said.
    2 years ago today, it was his fight against Jose Luis Castillo... one of the best fights of that year...

Gone too soon...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...6c63ff&k=34542
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

Natawa ako sa trunks ni Mayweather. Colors ng Mexican flag. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by john_paul_manahan
    Diego (Chico) Corrales, who won titles in two weight classes and was involved in one of the most memorable fights in recent times, died Monday in a motorcycle accident, his promoter said. He was 29.

Gary Shaw said Corrales was driving his motorcycle at a high rate of speed when he ran into the back of a car about 15 kilometres west of the Las Vegas Strip on Monday night.

"He's laying there as we speak with a helmet on his head under a sheet," Shaw said. "It appears he was thrown a great distance."

Shaw said Corrales, whose career had faltered in recent fights, had recently bought a racing motorcycle, which he was apparently riding at the time he was killed.

"He fought recklessly and he lived recklessly," Shaw said. "That was his style."

Las Vegas police spokesman Jose Montoya said the victim in the accident was wearing a helmet, and it was not known if drugs or alcohol was involved.

"No tests have been done. We're still investigating," Montoya said.
    2 years ago today, it was his fight against Jose Luis Castillo... one of the best fights of that year...

Gone too soon...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...6c63ff&k=34542
    I am also reminded of the late, great WBC Featherweight Champion Salvador Sanchez. Power and skill all in one, and was one of the more respected fighters of the 70s. Brutally disposed of one of the feared brawlers of that time, Wilfredo "Bazooka" Gomez. But what I remember about him was that he had a huge chest, and he had larger than average lungs. He was able to fully recover well before the one minute breaks in between rounds were over, and he would continue the fight fresh and well rested. much to the misfortune of his opponents.

He died in a car accident some time after the Gomez fight, smashing his Porsche 928 on his way home.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Ah, Salvador Sanchez. I grew up as a young kid (when Monl was already in college) idolizing this great boxer. He was invincible and unstoppable. Until now, I consider him as one of the greatest ever pound for pound. I can vividly recall him standing on top of the ring with his trademark Indian headgear. I really felt bad when he died because he had the boxing world in his hands. Sayang, he died young. He could have accomplished more.

I agree with Monl's description of Sanchez. If I were to describe the prototypical boxer, I'd just mention the name Salvador Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by yungha
    boom boom has phenomenal handspeed and is as far ahead in terms of skill as any 20-year old there is.
    I think Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is the craftiest 20 year old of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by LION

Ah, Salvador Sanchez. I grew up as a young kid (when Monl was already in college) idolizing this great boxer. He was invincible and unstoppable. Until now, I consider him as one of the greatest ever pound for pound. I can vividly recall him standing on top of the ring with his trademark Indian headgear. I really felt bad when he died because he had the boxing world in his hands. Sayang, he died young. He could have accomplished more.

I agree with Monl's description of Sanchez. If I were to describe the prototypical boxer, I'd just mention the name Salvador Sanchez.
    for me, salvador sanchez was the greatest featherweight ever. i was riding a love bus with my classmates taking us back to ateneo high school when i bought a tabloid that headlined his death in a car accident. whoa, ganun lang pala ka-ikli ang buhay, isang iglap lang, babay ka na sa mundo.

he was the greatest featherweight for me because he fought all the great ones during the time and beat them all: rocky lockridge, bazooka gomez, azumah nelson, and danny "little red" lopez. LION, actually pareho sila ni little red na pumapaosk ng ring na may headgear, if i recall correctly. the sanchez-lopez encounters were as memorable as the pacquaio-morales trilogy for today's fans for their drama and unrelenting action.

for me, what made him all the more remarkable was that he seemed impervious to physical pain, particularly his granite chin. i'd seen him take direct blows to the head that could have felled a tree, but he took them like they were just glancing blows. never mind his body, lalong wa-epek. pinakahirap sya kina azumah nelson at bazooka gomez, but he conquered them all and reigned supreme at the 126-lb division until Fate had other plans for him.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

He's at least No. 2 in the all time fetherweight list. Only the legendary Willie Pep can lay claim to the all time great featherweight ahead of Sanchez. Again, Sanchez was only 23 when he died and could have ended his career as probably the best ever boxer in more than one division.

Salvador Sanchez stole some of the limelight during the Sugar Ray-Era.

What made him so incredible was how he almost effortlessly beat the crap out of his opponents, including future hall of famers Danny "Little Red" Lopez, Wilfredo Gomez and 3-time champion Azumah Nelson. He looked practically unbruised in his fights with Lopez and Gomez.

At a time when the Heavyweight Division was at its most boring (until today, that is) with Larry Holmes as the champion, Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and of course, Leonard and Hearns, gave the lighter divisions the popularity it deserved.
    "Catalonia is a country and FC Barcelona is their army."
                                                              --Bobby Robson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast