twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: Dukes Up: The Boxing Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: Dukes Up: The Boxing Thread

Brazil police rule Gatti’s death suicide
    By BRADLEY BROOKS, Associated Press Writer 3 hours, 16 minutes ago

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP)—Boxer Arturo Gatti’s death was ruled a suicide by police Thursday and his wife, once suspected of killing the former champion, was released from jail.

Investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press authorities decided Gatti killed himself on July 11 while at a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

Asked if police had determined the case was a suicide, Alberes said, “Yes.” He offered no other details, though a judge—in ordering the release of Gatti’s wife—cited the police investigation and wrote that “the victim took his own life, committing suicide by hanging.”

The boxer’s widow, 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues, said in a phone interview as she walked out of jail she thinks Gatti may have killed himself because he was afraid she was going to leave him after a violent disagreement in public the night before his death.

“We had an argument in the street. Then he pushed me and I hurt myself. I believe that when we got home and he saw that he hurt me, he thought I would leave him, that I would tell him to just let me go, that I would separate from him,” Rodrigues said. “He did that in a moment of weakness. He was drunk, maybe he didn’t know what he was doing, maybe he thought I would leave him the next day.”

A day after the 37-year-old Gatti was found dead, police said that Rodrigues had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner’s report said Gatti may have killed himself since he was found “suspended and hanged.” The autopsy report didn’t exclude the possibility he was slain, but said he also could have died in an unexplained accident, or could have committed suicide.

“The police investigation concluded that Arturo killed himself,” said Celio Avelino, Rodrigues’ attorney. “I’ve said before it would have been impossible for her to suspend and hang a man of that size.”

Judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the immediate release of Rodrigues after receiving the police report. The judge wrote that police informed the court “the detention of the suspect was no longer needed” since the investigation “excludes the possibility of murder.”

Rodrigues said her priority was to see the 10-month-old son she had with Gatti, grieve for her husband and clear her name—though some of Gatti’s friends said they still suspect her.

“All of my plans and dreams involved Arturo. I haven’t been able to think of anything beyond that,” she said. “My plan now is to stay with my son, my father, mom and sister, nothing more than this.”

Gatti’s body was discovered in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas. They arrived there a few days before for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues’ family in Brazil.

From the accounts of Gatti’s family and friends, the two-year marriage with Rodrigues was tumultuous.

“She was yelling all the time, they were always fighting and she’d say, ‘I’m going to kill you!’ when they fought,” Gatti’s mother, Ida, said in a telephone interview from Montreal shortly after her son’s death.

According to records at the Court of Quebec’s criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him. Records didn’t indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti’s mother confirmed that it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him. She offered no other details.

Rodrigues stressed her innocence and defended her relationship with Gatti.

“There is no one who can doubt my love for Arturo or his for me. Arturo got married at 34 years of age, he was never married before, and this demonstrates the love that he had for me,” Rodrigues said. “I was the only wife of Arturo and I want my good name back. Not only just for me, but out of respect for my husband and my son.”

Gatti, who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Gatti’s family and friends expressed disbelief that the boxer could have killed himself. “It doesn’t make any sense,” said Howard Grant, a friend and fellow boxer in Gatti’s adopted hometown of Montreal.

That sentiment was evident at a memorial Mass in northern New Jersey, where Gatti honed his craft, his brother said the family may try to have Arturo’s body exhumed and have an autopsy conducted in Canada.

Matchmaker Carl Moretti remembered Gatti as the kind of person that made boxing industry insiders forget the old axiom about never falling in love with a fighter.

“It’s safe to say that every one of us forgot that rule when it came to Arturo Gatti,” Moretti said.

Associated Press Writers Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo and Amy Luft in Montreal contributed to this report.

Were any of you able to watch Mark Melligen's match last weekend, his entrance music was the very-familiar saxophone solo of "Careless Whisper". ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mangtsito
    Were any of you able to watch Mark Melligen's match last weekend, his entrance music was the very-familiar saxophone solo of "Careless Whisper". ;D
    I followed this guy move up in the amateurs and even had him fight under one of the major AFP service units during the National Open. Arguably the hardest hitter with TEAM PHILIPPINES since Reynaldo Galido. Too bad he couldn't stand the politics. Could have been ripe for a medal at Beijing in '08.

good luck to the hawaiian punch as he fights in hawaii later today.

it will be shown 3pm in manila ("live")
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

The Rebirth of Freddie Roach

The rebirth of Freddie Roach

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
    14 hours, 41 minutes ago

Renowned boxing trainer Freddie Roach celebrates his 50th birthday on Friday.

Don’t believe it. The calendar lies.

In boxing terms, Roach is really only about 5.

For it was about five years ago, after a disappointing March night in Las Vegas, that Freddie Roach became the world’s greatest trainer.

Roach has become the John Wooden of boxing in the past five years. He’s developed Manny Pacquiao into the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world. He’s sought out by every manager who has a pug with a dream. He turns ordinary fighters into good ones, and good ones become great after working with him.

It wasn’t always that way, even though it was apparent from his first days in the gym as a trainer 23 years ago that he had a fertile boxing mind. Roach didn’t have the magical ability then that he does now, coaxing his fighters to reach their peak, but his potential was enough to attract the notice of Futch, the greatest man to ever work a corner.

Futch believed deeply in Roach and spent years teaching him the nuances of the game. Despite Futch’s assistance, the young Roach could be stubborn as a trainer. Roach had his own way of doing things when he first started and he wasn’t going to change his routine to suit a fighter. He was, after all, the boss. If his way of doing things wasn’t good enough, well, he saw it as the student not being willing to learn.

More than that, Roach’s style of boxing was, to use his own words, brutal.

“I’m better now because I’ve learned the sport,” Roach said. “I have a lot more knowledge now than I did then. I see more. I know how to relay the information better.

“And, honestly, my philosophy of boxing has changed. Now, I teach guys to step to the side, to use angles, to be smart. Back then, man, it was crazy. You know the kind of fighter I was, and that’s what I was teaching my guys to do. I had the philosophy then that the best defense was a good offense – and my fighters were taking a lot of abuse because of that.”

Roach was a brawler whose courage far outlapped his talent. He was always content to take three to land one, which makes a lot of fans but isn’t conducive to a long career. There are a lot of tough guys in boxing, but few as brave as Roach once was. Not many guys are eager to stand in front of an opponent and get drilled for 12 rounds.

“I taught a more aggressive style then,” Roach said. “I had guys stand in the pocket and fight. But when you fight that way, you’re going to get hit. It’s really a numbers game. The more opportunities you give someone to hit you, the more you’ll get hit. And there are only so many punches you can take.”

There is nuance to Roach’s style now, and it will never be more evident than when Pacquiao climbs back into the ring on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Five years after the night that can be considered Roach’s birth as a world-class trainer, he’ll lead Pacquiao against Joshua Clottey – a big, strong man who seems impossible to hurt – in a pay-per-view bout before more than 40,000 adoring fans. The show is shaping up as a celebration of Pacquiao’s wondrous talents, and no one is more responsible for that than Roach.

Roach’s work with Pacquiao has led the Filipino to sanctioning body belts at 122, 130, 135 and 147 pounds and linear titles at 126 and 140. More importantly, he’s widely regarded as the finest fighting machine on Earth.

It was a very different Pacquiao and a much different Roach, however, who arrived in Las Vegas on March 19, 2005, to face Erik Morales. It was about a year-and-a-half since Pacquiao’s dynamic victory over Marco Antonio Barrera, but Pacquiao was not dynamic against Morales.

Pacquiao was hampered in the fight by a cut – he didn’t respond well to seeing his own blood – but the reason for Morales’ victory was that he found a way to neutralize Pacquiao’s powerful left.

Pacquiao had little else to offer offensively and, try as he might, with his left effectively taken away he was lost.

That night, after the news conference had ended, a reporter sidled up to Roach. He commented to Roach on Pacquiao’s inability to throw a meaningful right and said: “If he didn’t have that great power in his left, he’d be just another fighter.”

Roach wanted to be angry. But when he mulled it over privately, he realized he’d just been given a challenge that would change his life forever.

“After that conversation, I really woke up,” Roach said. “I knew Manny had the ability to be special. I’d been with him for a while at that point. That comment really made me think about what was going on with him. [The reporter] was right. Manny was pretty much a one-handed fighter. I knew there was a lot more there and I couldn’t be satisfied with him not taking advantage of that.

“I watched the tape of his [first] fight with [Juan Manuel] Marquez [in 2004] and he dropped Marquez three times in the first round. But he never threw a right hand the whole time. At the time, I was satisfied with what Manny had become, but I realized it was a mistake. He was capable of so much more – and I had to bring it out of him.”

Roach and Pacquiao spent hours in the gym over the next few months, working on the most minute details. And Roach found that Pacquiao had a very high aptitude for boxing and began demanding more and more.

Roach worked drills designed to make Pacquiao’s right hand a threat. He improved his footwork. He made subtle changes in how Pacquiao delivered his punches.

Pacquiao was vastly different when he stopped Morales in the 10th round on Jan. 21, 2006. But the finished product didn’t really appear until the rubber match, on Nov. 18, 2006, at the Thomas & Mack Center on the University of Nevada-Las Vegas campus.

Pacquiao raked Morales with a hard right hook. He fired uppercuts, with his left and his right. He moved Morales effortlessly into his blows and slipped easily out of the way of Morales’ punches.

The transformation had taken place. Pacquiao went on to win Fighter of the Year in 2006. He won it again in 2008 and 2009. He’s now won it four times, or twice as many as any other man.

Roach will be 50 on Friday and is afflicted by Parkinson’s disease. It’s unlikely that he’ll be able to continue in the job he loves until he’s in his 80s, like Futch, his mentor.

He’s going to try, however. If his body will allow it, Lord knows, he’ll try. As long as he’s physically capable of withstanding the rigors, he’ll be in the ring teaching fighters the right way.

The reason is simple: There is nothing else in Freddie Roach’s life but boxing. He doesn’t read books. He’s not interested in computers. He isn’t a music buff. His idea of a good night in front of the television is watching the same fight tape five or six times.

He’s been a trainer for nearly half his life and he’ll do it for the rest of his life. And though some would call him a one-trick pony, he’s thrilled with where life has taken him.

“I still love it so much and I have so much fun in boxing and with the people in the boxing world,” Roach said. “Everyone I know is in boxing. Pretty much everything I do has to do with boxing. I don’t do nothing else.

“The day I can’t do the mitts, when I can’t be physical, I’ll quit. I have to be in there and working with them to be effective. I can’t sit on the sidelines and do it. But I’ll tell you: I’m going to do it until the last day I can. Because you know what? I’m scared to think what life would be like if there weren’t boxing anymore.”

We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

happy b-day. have a good one mr. roach
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

after pac and company came down from their baguio camp prior to the cotto fight last year, they stayed a few days at the mandarin hotel. he would cross makati avenue and have coffee every morning at the starbucks at the ground floor of the BDO-EPCIB tower. a very amiable fellow, he would chat with fellow customers and accommodate requests for pics and autographs. my wife and her friends would have coffee there and nakakasama at nakakausap nila si freddie. and she didn't tell me! kung sinabi niya sa akin yun, pumunta sana ako dun at nagpa-kodak ako.

happy birthday freddie.

I was looking at old title fights such as Navarrette-Limon, Navarrette/Choi chung Il, Salvador Sanchez-Bazooka Gomez, etc on YouTube when I came by THIS fight clip of none other than Freddie Roach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nff2p...eature=related

Speech was kinda slurred already at that time, probably due to the onset of Parkinson's...

Also saw his fight against Greg Haugen, where he lost badly. He would fight five more fights and winning just once before hanging it up for good at age 26.

I remember whirlwind southpaw fighter Andy Ganigan, the original “Hawaiian Punch.” American sportscasters pronounced his name as "GA-nigan," but being Filipino it should have been "GaNI-gan." He was a knockout aritst, rated 97th all time. His most memorable fights were against Sean "Bubblegum Bomber" O'Grady, whom he KO'd to win the little-regarded World Athletic Association Lightweight crown, and the great Alexis Arguello for the WBC Lightweight crown, where he knocked down Arguello in the first but lost the fight via 5th round KO. In his last fight against Jimmy Paul for the NABF title, he did a Rocky imitation and waved and called out Paul to come in and take the fight to him in a corner of the ring. Whle an exciting whrilwind type of fighter, his lack of defense was his undoing, specially against polished boxers like Arguello and Paul, as he took a lot of punishment to try to land haymakers of his own.

Rest in peace, Andy.

Hawaiian boxer Ganigan dies at home in Las Vegas
    The Associated Press – 6 hours ago
    LAS VEGAS (AP) A former champion lightweight boxer and member of the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame has died in Las Vegas.
    The Clark County coroner's office said Thursday that Andrew ''Andy'' Ganigan died at home early Wednesday of end-stage liver cancer. He was 59.

More of the story here:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hawaiia...yIJeirPd2UxLYF
    Last edited by MonL; 05-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33