twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: Food Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel
    Places like the Binondo eateries, Mang Jimmy's, Aysee, the bulaluhan along Espana, I always leave P10-20. If I dined alone its just P10.
    I usually just leave the coins in my change. Kung walang coins, no tip.

Places like TGI Friday's, Burgoo, Italianni's, Heaven and Eggs, Pancake House, Outback, Sentro, Dencio's, Gerry's I usually leave P20-50.
    Me too, unless there are at least ten in our party. We usually leave a total of 100 if we split the tip.

Place like Circles, Heat, the old Tempura Misono, Ginza, the old Bahia, Prince Albert I usually leave P100.
    I leave 100-200, depending on how satisfied I was with the meal.

i managed to watch 100% Pinoy one night which featured the classical Pinoy foods like lugaw, pares, and the ___silogs.

have you tried the ones they suggested?

i tried rodic's, though....
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

ONe of the best Tapsilog's i've tasted was a Filipino restaurant in Bahrain. Forgot the name of the place. I have also tasted crispy patang baka in Qatar because Pork is forbidden there.
    Practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect so why practice!!!

hmmm.. as an avid viewer of such channels as discovery T&L and lifestyle, i've always loved watching those travel food shows. one thing that always crosses my mind is what those hosts would say about filipino food.

watching other cultures, i am amazed at the diversity of food, like singapore in particular, which is a huge mix of cultures, resulting in unique and charming cuisine. malay and thai cuisine use a lot of different spices, giving distinct and varied character to their food. Anthony Bourdain is a favorite, since he loves going to the most common spots to eat, places where all the locals would flock to.

what about pinoy cuisine? madami naman tayong ipagmamalaki, im sure. but then I go to the local food court, and see each stall sell basically the same fare. pares stores have practically the same menu. are we so afraid of variety?

but different regions have different styles of cooking the same delicacy...
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

Best sisig for me is the one from Congo Grill and Trelli's in Quezon City.

Best longganiza is the one from Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija and Calumpit, Bulacan. Garlic and pepper lang ang timpla. Mas masarap pag tustado ng koonti. Kanin at kamatis with matching itlog na pula ang sawsawan ayos na! Wag ka lang didighay!

Nakakagutom!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel
    In the US there is a fixed rates of 15% for tips in restaurants.

I don't think we have that in our country though.

How much do you guys usually tip in a sit-down place?

Depending on where I am I usually leave a minimum of P20 to a maximum of P100, can't ever remember leaving more than a hundred bucks even at 5-star establishments like the restos in 5-star hotels.

Also, I always check the tax and service charges. Anytime those make up more than 20% of my total check I don't leave anything unless the wait staff did a really good job.

Places like the Binondo eateries, Mang Jimmy's, Aysee, the bulaluhan along Espana, I always leave P10-20. If I dined alone its just P10.

Places like TGI Friday's, Burgoo, Italianni's, Heaven and Eggs, Pancake House, Outback, Sentro, Dencio's, Gerry's I usually leave P20-50.

Place like Circles, Heat, the old Tempura Misono, Ginza, the old Bahia, Prince Albert I usually leave P100.

ang rule ko talaga sa tipping ay:

pag basura ang serbisyo, walang tip. sisimutin ko kahit barya.

pero ang default tip ko talaga ay twenty pesos. i learned this from an old guy i had a business lunch with sa manila polo club. the guy's a freakin' billionaire pero nung bayaran na, bente lang talaga ang iniwan nya... to think ay madalas daw sya dun. i also learned that no matter where he eats, kahit mga 5 star hotel, bente lang talaga. so sabi ko sa sarili ko... "kung yung bilyonaryo nga bente lang e... ako pa?"

but when the service is better than average, or the waiter is more helpful than usual, or the waitress is very pleasant (read: maganda na mabait), i leave fifty bucks. for example, sa Abe (in serendra), there's this waitress na type na type ko... si loida. pag sya ang nag-serve, fifty pesos na yan...

pero may mga restaurant din ako na may mga suki akong waiter. tulad ni jess sa trellis at si JC sa outback. at least 100 pesos ang tip nila at diretso sa kamay nila mo ibinibigay (para di na paghatian). may added benefits kasi yan... napapadagdagan ang ulam, mabilis ang pagkain, laging puno ang iced tea, binabalik ko yung food kung di ko type ang pagkakaluto (at walang charge).
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    but when the service is better than average, or the waiter is more helpful than usual, or the waitress is very pleasant (read: maganda na mabait), i leave fifty bucks. for example, sa Abe (in serendra), there's this waitress na type na type ko... si loida. pag sya ang nag-serve, fifty pesos na yan...
    no kidding, man? may nakilala akong waitress na loida dati, nasa abe na pala.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    no kidding, man? may nakilala akong waitress na loida dati, nasa abe na pala.
    i don't know if it's the same loida. but the loida i'm talking about is really pretty. sophisticated ang dating at hindi pa-cute sa customers, pero she smiles when she talks. at ang swabe nyang kumilos. refined na refined. mas maganda at nakakasindak pa sya kesa sa mga executive/lawyers/doctors na kilala ko. yung tipong maiinggit sa yo mga kabarkada mo kapag ipakilala mong nobya mo sya... i swear. papasa syang graduate ng exclusive universities.

ahhh... loida. makapag-Abe nga.

teka. magawa ngang 100 ang tip pag si loida ang assigned sa akin.
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast