twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Thread

Share/Bookmark

Food Thread

i decided to start up a Food Thread for those who adore food....

anyhow, i have a kinda urgent query...

i am looking for classic 80s Filipino food. can someone help me here? thanks...
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

Re: Food Thread

i think taco bell is way overrated. among tex-mex restos, i would rank taco bell 3rd after tia maria (#1) and nacho fast (#2).

Quote Originally Posted by yungha
    i think taco bell is way overrated. among tex-mex restos, i would rank taco bell 3rd after tia maria (#1)* and nacho fast (#2).
    In this part of world, Yungha, I'd rather go with Mexicali, great nearly-authentic taste, very close to the California-Mexican fusion you'd get in LA, plus the portions are generous.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

of the few times that i've eaten at Mexicali (the branch in our building just closed recently), I dont get the same satisfaction that I get from eating at Cantina. For one, I was disappointed with their quesadilla, that they used plain cheddar (i was thinking they just used the local supermarket cheese), rather than the chewier types that give it much more flavor and definitely more fun.

My favorite eating spots noong college (circa mid-80s):

AREA 2 — Kitchenette sa Peyups. One of those rare places where you can order half-of-this and half-of-that.
    PAMPAS — Short for "Pampanggueña's." Sa harap ng Ateneo, squeezed between two talyers. Genuine "Triple M" rating: Masarap, Mura at Marumi pa!
    KRUS NA LIGAS — Sa may "outskirts" ng UP. Sarah's and Gulod for hanging out; Kambingan for its very sumptuous but oh so spicy kaldereta.

No matter how long i overstayed sa Peyups, i never got into the "Rodic's" tradition. Nga pala, yung kainan sa swimming pool had on its menu an item called "It's Not What You Think." Sabi ng waiter, "Order at your own risk." Kung ano lang raw maisipan ng cook, yun na yun!
    "Catalonia is a country and FC Barcelona is their army."
                                                              --Bobby Robson

i think taco bell is way overrated. among tex-mex restos, i would rank taco bell 3rd after tia maria (#1)* and nacho fast (#2).
    To be quite honest, I still like Greenwich tacos... had them since I was a kid.

Would you believe here in Singapore, there's only one Taco Bell store (the place is shared with Pizza Hut and another fast food chain.) AND THEY DON'T HAVE ANY FRE@KIN' TACOS!!!!
    ---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

Nakakamiss yung Mang Siding at Aling Nene na resto sa Katipunan dati. Estela's goto in Marikina, the 90's Aysee at marami pang iba.

Baguio - Star Cafe, Slaughterhouse and Burnham Park karinderia.
    Pampanga - Aling Lucing's Sisig and lechon manok, Aling Mila's crunchy sisig and lechon kawali, Tom Sawyer's sa Dau, A chicken place in Balibago that serves fried chicken which could rival KFC
    Naga City - Bolofer's and SanFran carinderia

(to be continued...) Gutom ako bigla
    Practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect so why practice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joescoundrel
    In this part of world, Yungha, I'd rather go with Mexicali, great nearly-authentic taste, very close to the California-Mexican fusion you'd get in LA, plus the portions are generous.
    that's right, mexicali pa pala. i'd also rank mexicali ahead of taco bell. correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't nacho fast the only tex-mex that serves tortilla pizza? i don't know now but as recently as last year, a whole tortilla pizza cost P75 which is a real bargain because 1 serving is more than enough for a full meal for me.

Naabutan ko pa 'yung panahong bottomless ang kanin sa Mang Jimmy's. Two years ago kasi, may bayad na -- PhP 10 para sa isang pinggan. Ngayon, libre na ulit, pero after a certain number of plates, magbabayad na.

Masarap ang turon sa Loyola School of Theology. Dinadayo pa namin 'yun dati. From Gonzaga, maglalakad kami hanggang covered court. Tapos, may shortcut sa likod ng Sonolux. Magha-hiking kami para sa turon at sago't gulaman. Ganda pa ng view.

Last year, a colleague of mine reserved a court at the college covered courts for our weekly games. Pagkatapos namin magpareserve sa PE department, he suddenly had the bright idea of dropping by Manang's for lunch. Kinabukasan, naghatak siya ng iba pang Atenista at nag-take out ng inihaw at dinala rito sa pantry namin. OK naman, masarap pa rin; pero mas masarap talaga ang liempo kapag nandoon ka talaga at nanonood ng mga nag-e-aerobics... ;D
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

In the US there is a fixed rates of 15% for tips in restaurants.

I don't think we have that in our country though.

How much do you guys usually tip in a sit-down place?

Depending on where I am I usually leave a minimum of P20 to a maximum of P100, can't ever remember leaving more than a hundred bucks even at 5-star establishments like the restos in 5-star hotels.

Also, I always check the tax and service charges. Anytime those make up more than 20% of my total check I don't leave anything unless the wait staff did a really good job.

Places like the Binondo eateries, Mang Jimmy's, Aysee, the bulaluhan along Espana, I always leave P10-20. If I dined alone its just P10.

Places like TGI Friday's, Burgoo, Italianni's, Heaven and Eggs, Pancake House, Outback, Sentro, Dencio's, Gerry's I usually leave P20-50.

Place like Circles, Heat, the old Tempura Misono, Ginza, the old Bahia, Prince Albert I usually leave P100.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast