Thread: The Music Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Music Thread

"Hark, listen to the sound
    Follow you all around
    Rest your ears
    Close to the ground"
    --The Way Life Ought To Be

Anyone here remembers Lokal Brown, the 80s "superband" made up of Chikoy Pura, Ed Formoso, members of Asin, a pre-Tropical Depression Dominic "Papadom" Gamboa, and others.

"Sobra gid ang trabaho ko
    Jutay ang sweldo"
    --Ay Pedro

Can't remember if Binky Lampano and Jun Lupito were part of Lokal Brown.

"This is not Amerika
    This is not the USA
    This is one of the places
    They try to make it feel that way"
    --This Is Not Amerika

"This Is Not Amerika" included a mala-Janis Joplin na banat ni Lolita Carbon, singing a few lines from Asin's "Masdan Mo Ang Kapaligiran."

"Makulit nagpupumilit
    Bumili ka na ng tiket
    Sa Amerika mag-piknik
    Huwag ka nang babalik"
    --Reklamo Ng Reklamo

Lokal Brown was a studio-only group. And some of their songs (like "Reklamo Ng Reklamo" were covers. Sino meron/saan ako makakakuha ng album nilang "This Is Lokal Brown"? A burned CD would be better even. Had a tape in college pero may pumitik.

Other songs on my hard-to-find MP3 (Music Piracy Fthree) wish list:

"Lokal Boy" by Ethnic Faces
    Love Jack Sicat's monotonous yet enchanting drone. Ka-batch sya ng kuya ko sa San Beda High School.

The Papadom song by Tropical Depression
    Don't know the title and it isn't in any of their albums. Basta, pag kinakanta nila sa Peyups, nagco-Conga Line lahat, kahit mga punks.

"Kwentong Looban" by Binky Lampano
    A visceral anthem to life in the squatter areas.

"Catalonia is a country and FC Barcelona is their army."
                                                              --Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bangag

for me, the most satisfying rock CD i purchased in the last year is still the allman brothers' "live at fillmore east" double album. there are no words to describe the track "in memory of elizabeth reed" except transcendent. no wonder duane allman was named the second greatest rock guitarist ever, behind jimi hendrix, in a poll conducted by rolling stone and mojo magazine.
    "at fillmore east" for me is one the greatest live albums ever! ang layo ng elizabeth redd version from the sudio album talagang tataas ang balahibo mo ha ha! come to think of it, lahat ng live releases ng fillmore are classics...i even have "rockin the fillmore" by humble pie with a teenaged peter frampton playing alongside steve marriot on guitars..kakaliabot! oh well, those were the days..

pareng bennie, catch wally gonzalez live every friday at chaquicos, makati ave. and listen to their own kick-ass rendition of "in memory" cha para kang asa time machine he he!
    A million old soldiers may fade away, but a dream lives on forever!!!!

wohoo, another classic rock head in brian! indeed, there's something magical in the fillmore east theater that squeezes out the best in headlining bands performing in that former vaudeville venue.

good news din yang binalita mo about the comeback of pinoy guitar legend wally gonzales in the live circuit. salamat sa info!
    Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

Ang masasabi ko lang sa Fillmore East ay meron akong CD ng Cypress Hill: Live At The Fillmore ;D I'm not really into Cypress Hill, but some of their songs are good to listen to when you feel like kicking @$$
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

No need to seize the last word, Lord Baelish. I'll assume it was something clever. - Sansa Stark, Game of Thrones > Season 7 > Episode 1

Bilhin nyo ang bagong CD ng Maroon 5. Good buy sya panigurado. Tinorrent ko lang kagabi pero nagandahan ako. Kaya bibili na ako sa official release. Napapasayaw ako sa bago nilang single. Funky, baby! ;D
    Shoot 6-24? No problem. Got my 5th ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FootCarrot
    Ang masasabi ko lang sa Fillmore East ay meron akong CD ng Cypress Hill: Live At The Fillmore ;D I'm not really into Cypress Hill, but some of their songs are good to listen to when you feel like kicking @$$
    Gusto ko mapakinggan 'yung Ozomatli Live At The Fillmore. Ang hirap nga lang mahanap online. Bawal pa man din ang Torrent sa opis.

In other news: Mahal. Ko. Na. Si. Bonnie. Bailey. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr.
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

here's an indonesian/filipino version of the famous arab song HABIBI YA NURU 'AINI :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMFvNT7KG0

;D

and the Arab version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaHbEW0wisg

mga Filipino de machos ;D ,

eto aqui ang advertisement song ng Cerveza San Miguel alli doon sa Espana, enjoy ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usb5tE-oBo0

this song is based on a popular Spanish fiesta song, Paquito :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVPK...elated&search=

Arriba ! Enjoy !

Espana Cani , a stirring Paso Doble Spanish dance interpreted in a Shakira mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXpzs...elated&search=

Here's a random question...what are your favorite remakes or cover versions? They say that nothing beats the original, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate an artist's homage to his/her own favorites.

For my part, I really love the Beatles' cover versions from the early '60s like "Some Other Guy"* (from the Live at the BBC double album - I can't remember who the original artist was), the Isley Brothers' "Twist and Shout", Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Rock and Roll Music" and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "You Really Got A Hold On Me." I also love 311's fun remake of Sublime's "What I Got" and their pretty faithful cover of The Clash's "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" (performed live on the 311 Day DVD).

How about you?
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

No need to seize the last word, Lord Baelish. I'll assume it was something clever. - Sansa Stark, Game of Thrones > Season 7 > Episode 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast