twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Share/Bookmark

The Music Thread

Since we have an all-new board for non-hoops topics (thank you, site admins! :-*), I figure it's OK to start a thread just for discussions about music.

Here are the CDs I've been thinking about buying:
    • Chris Daughtry's CD
    • The Smithereens' Beatles tribute album
    • The Dreamgirls soundtrack
    • The Sweet Escape (or whatever it's called?) by Gwen Stefani

I'm really not sure about the Gwen Stefani album because, even though I like her, I don't really like the carrier single. Better try to listen to it some more before buying.

However, I am definitely going to buy the new Beastie Boys album when it comes out (reportedly next month). I hear they're going back to their older sound from the late '80s/early '90s, which sounds pretty darn good to me!
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

Re: The Music Thread

Wala na kong binibiling CD's ngayon puro mp3's na lang (puro downloads in short). Sulit ang pag search sa multiply since dun ko nakuha yung mga medyo mid-90's alternative rock music na hinanap ko. Examples are Teeth, The Youth, The Breed, Backdraft, Razorback, Datu's Tribe and many others.

Wala lang akong makita sa multiply na may mp3's ni Randy Santiago. Puro babaero lang yung mp3's niya dun. Baka naman matulungan nyo kong makakuha ng links. Thanks in advance.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Ako naman, puro Jeff Buckley ang dinadownload ngayon, lalo na 'yung "Grace" album. You gotta love the guy. Ganda ng mga cover niya.

Speaking of hard-to-find MP3s, nakahanap ako ng "Bolero Medley" ni Celeste Legaspi on a hip-hop website. If you're wondering how it got there, may ginamit na sample from that song sa "Kick, Push" ni Lupe Fiasco (kasama rin sa Live 07 soundtrack ito -- one of my favorite game OST's, pero ibang topic na 'yun. Hehe). Lupe Fiasco's producer, Soundtrakk, is half-Pinoy.
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

Ako basta OPM I always buy orig. Yung last ko nabili yung latest album ng Brownman Revival.

Kapag foreign, wala akong paki sa download. Ilagay lang lahat sa torrent queue.

bigfreeze, marami kasing babaero sa mundo kaya nakakarelate sila sa kantang yan ;D pero kung inaalat ka sa paghanap ng mga mp3 nya, bumili ka na lang ng mga vicor reissues ni randy. available yan sa mga record stores ngayon.

for me, the most satisfying rock CD i purchased in the last year is still the allman brothers' "live at fillmore east" double album. there are no words to describe the track "in memory of elizabeth reed" except transcendent. no wonder duane allman was named the second greatest rock guitarist ever, behind jimi hendrix, in a poll conducted by rolling stone and mojo magazine.

for jazz, my all-time favorite is miles davis's "kind of blue." i bought my frst copy over 10 years ago; unfortunately nawala sa hiraman. i thought the only way i can get another copy was through the internet; buti na lang nakabili ako uli in 2004. now it's in my ipod, kaya kahit iwala ng mga pamangkin ko yung kopya ko ngayon, ok lang hehehe!

medyo hati pa rin ako when it comes to jeff buckley. i find "grace" a little inconsistent, but i can't place my finger on that missing quality that would have made the album fuller and complete. yes he had one of the more amazing pipes in rock history, but as a vocal trailblazer, sorry, nauna na sa kanya si robert plant at freddie mercury. great songs there, but my all-time favorite jeff buckley original isn't found in "grace." what gives the album its poignancy, though, is that it was buckley's first and last full-fledged studio album. the song "everybody here wants you," for me the defining jeff buckley song, is in his album of demo recordings and outtakes.

my guilty pleasure is christopher cross's debut album. to this day, i love listening to the album over and over. i'm autistic in that respect ;D
    Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

Jonar, ok din yung "Sketches" ni Buckley. The songs are a tad bit darker, a bit less melodious than Grace, but richer, much more poetic.

Have you heard of the theory that he's still alive somewhere? They never really found his body after he drowned. He was once upon a time quoted as saying that he missed "the anonimity of playing in cafes and bars". So from here, some have thought that he staged his death to escape fame.

Bennie, I dont think Grace was formed to be a landmark album, or that Buckley wanted to be considered as a "vocal trailblazer". I think when Grace was put out, he just put together a bunch of his good stuff, and shared it to the public. For me the thing that makes him stand out is how well he blends the software with the hardware, how his voice, his musical prowess blends together so well with his songs, lyrics, melodies. with that potent blend, he strikes a cord that for me, very few singer-songwriters could strike. Jeff Buckley seeps into your soul, and lingers there. Admitedly, it's an acquired taste, but one that's hard to shake off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    Jonar, ok din yung "Sketches" ni Buckley. The songs are a tad bit darker, a bit less melodious than Grace, but richer, much more poetic.

Have you heard of the theory that he's still alive somewhere? They never really found his body after he drowned. He was once upon a time quoted as saying that he missed "the anonimity of playing in cafes and bars". So from here, some have thought that he staged his death to escape fame.
    Ah, oo. Actually, 'yung "Everybody Here Wants You" ang una kong narinig na kanta niya. Pinapatugtog pa sa NU 107 noong college ako. Perfect make-out song 'yun. Must be the lyrics, or the steady, suggestive bass, or the caterwauling guitar. Ranks up there with "Careless Whisper" and "The One You Love".* ;D

Medyo nagsa-subscribe din ako sa theory na staged lang ang pagkakalunod niya. Sino ba kasi sa tamang pag-iisip (well, oo, manic-depressive si Jeff) ang magsusuot ng boots habang lumalangoy, di ba?

Re: "Grace", trailblazing iyon in the sense na kakaiba ang covers doon ("Lilac Wine" and "Corpus Christi Carol" immediately come to mind). Medyo shaky ang songwriting niya doon, pero kumabaga sa laro, tremendous upside ang ipinakita niya.
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

Actually, i never really grew to like "everybody here wants you". For me his best song is still "last goodbye", his trademark performance is found in "lilac wine" (actually, the song pretty much describes his style), and his one of his last best works, a magnificent combination of songwriting-singing is in "morning theft".

True, I also think that "grace" was trailblazing, but i dont think Buckley had that in mind when he came out with that. sayang lang talaga that he died too early. it would have been interesting to see how far his songwriting would go.

i agree that "grace" was supposed to be a portent of good things to come. nakapanghihinayang isipin kung ano yung creative output nya kung buhay pa sya ngayon. then again, he was fated to die young because of his inner demons. still, what if he lived long enough to come out with at least another two albums, despite the "jeff is alive" speculations?

Always remember that you are unique--just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreeze_bibby
    Wala na kong binibiling CD's ngayon puro mp3's na lang (puro downloads in short). Sulit ang pag search sa multiply since dun ko nakuha yung mga medyo mid-90's alternative rock music na hinanap ko. Examples are Teeth, The Youth, The Breed, Backdraft, Razorback, Datu's Tribe and many others.
    Dangit, wala akong nakukuha from Multiply. The one and only time I tried, I wound up with a file that wasn't in MP3 format. Maka-try again nga :P

Bennie, my parents listened to Christopher Cross when I was little and they said I insisted on listening to the tape (whichever album that was) every day on my way to and from kindergarten. I knew the lyrics and the order of the song by heart...but now I can't remember a single song ;D
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast