twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: MICAA expert or historian

Share/Bookmark
  1. #21

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Quote Originally Posted by gameface_one
    ^^^^hmmmm. We might be interested to partner with that kind of project.*
    Good idea. A collaboraton with hardcore gamefacers (with their network) will surely produce an authoritative book. A non-partisan book that celebrates the beauty of collegiate sports!

    Mukhang sa intellectual resources ng mga "KUYA" dito, maganda ang kalalabasan ng libro.

    Diba mga kuya? Magsalita naman kayo. :D
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

  2. #22

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Quote Originally Posted by danny
    Quote Originally Posted by gameface_one
    ^^^^hmmmm. We might be interested to partner with that kind of project.
    Good idea. A collaboraton with hardcore gamefacers (with their network) will surely produce an authoritative book. A non-partisan book that celebrates the beauty of collegiate sports!

    Mukhang sa intellectual resources ng mga "KUYA" dito, maganda ang kalalabasan ng libro.

    Diba mga kuya? Magsalita naman kayo. :D
    ^hmmm, not a bad idea. pero di naman ako gaanong ka-kuya...hehe. nasa kalendaryo pa naman ako, at least for the next 2 years. what i'm thinking is something like an encyclopedia on cd that could be sold...say, at PBA, UAAP or NCAA games.

    i'll post more interesting research material in this thread every now and then...but right now, it's pretty much a hobby, owing to my busy sched...

    thanks for the support! ;D
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensauceph

  3. #23

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    pachador - i found some of my old research from the early '50s MICAA, though i still have to re-read up on it and gather a bit more info when i visit the national library again this week. looks like your dad played for a championship PAL team in the 1951 MICAA season. one of the least-exposed players, but he did play alongside such legends as murder inc. (CSJL) standout louie tabuena and the late moro lorenzo...and probably the first-ever fil-ams in philippine commercial basketball, the veloso twins alfredo and mario, who apparently hailed from san francisco.

    more signs of the times...the lineup that i got from the philippines herald back then lists your dad as a 5'10 guard...back then, forwards were usually around 5'8 and under, taking most of the shooting/scoring duties...centers were usually the best rebounders, about 5'10-plus, while guards were the team's best defenders, regardless of size...but were usually wide-bodied and around 5'9-5'11.
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensauceph

  4. #24

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    I'll be the first one to buy your CD. thanks a lot for the info. keep it coming in. according to my mom(who was not into basketball), my dad did not play long in the MICAA because he had to get a 'real job' to feed the family. however, he still played during his spare time on the weekends daw. for example, he played with american jesuit priests at ateneo de cagayan(xavier university) during the 1960s when his company assigned him to cagayan de oro. my mom also said he also played a lot of basketball against american soldiers who were in the tens of thousands when they liberated manila as he was a USAFFE guerilla detailed with the american 37th division that helped liberate Sto Tomas concentration camp.* i believe, a lot of the collegiate players in the late 1940s might have possibly also gotten a lot of experience playing against american soldiers after the liberation of the philippines . i can imagine some of this kanos might have played in the US NCAA. the elevated experience the 1940s era local cagers got from playing against the kano might have possibly helped our national team when they got 3rd place in the FIBA worlds in 1954. imagine playing against rough war experienced american soldiers. there must have been a lot of physical plays. this are just my conjectures. a similar situation exists today wherein the local homegrowns are elevating their game playing against fil-ams.
    by the way, there is a signature drive among older alumni of xavier university(cagayan) to revert back to its old name of ateneo de cagayan. i dont know it it will be successful.



    Quote Originally Posted by irateluvmachine
    pachador - i found some of my old research from the early '50s MICAA, though i still have to re-read up on it and gather a bit more info when i visit the national library again this week.* looks like your dad played for a championship PAL team in the 1951 MICAA season.* one of the least-exposed players, but he did play alongside such legends as murder inc. (CSJL) standout louie tabuena and the late moro lorenzo...and probably the first-ever fil-ams in philippine commercial basketball, the veloso twins alfredo and mario, who apparently hailed from san francisco.*

    more signs of the times...the lineup that i got from the philippines herald back then lists your dad as a 5'10 guard...back then, forwards were usually around 5'8 and under, taking most of the shooting/scoring duties...centers were usually the best rebounders, about 5'10-plus, while guards were the team's best defenders, regardless of size...but were usually wide-bodied and around 5'9-5'11.*

  5. #25

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Quote Originally Posted by gameface_one
    ^^^^hmmmm. We might be interested to partner with that kind of project.
    If Gameface is going to be serious about this (and I hope they are ) then I suggest they also contact some of the guys at the MYPBA forum like Jay P.Mercado and Percival Flores. These guys have extensive knowledge about the history of MICAA and the PBA.

    Of course irateluvmachine should definitely be there!

    This could be a book or a CD but I prefer the former for this one.

  6. #26

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    ^ That sounds very interesting, I hope it takes off the ground and be produced.

    Here is one incident that happened the 80s, I was lounging in the old San Beda Alumni Association Office and I decided to look at the old pictures and articles. I came across an old picture (circa 1950s) showing the Yco team led by Caloy Loyzaga going up against the Spanish national team in Spain! If I remember it correctly, the old black and white picture showed the Spanish team in white and Yco was in dark. In addition, King Caloy was in the picture wearing his legendary number 14.

  7. #27

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Quote Originally Posted by RedKfir
    ^ That sounds very interesting, I hope it takes off the ground and be produced.

    Here is one incident that happened the 80s, I was lounging in the old San Beda Alumni Association Office and I decided to look at the old pictures and articles. I came across an old picture (circa 1950s) showing the Yco team led by Caloy Loyzaga going up against the Spanish national team in Spain! If I remember it correctly, the old black and white picture showed the Spanish team in white and Yco was in dark. In addition, King Caloy was in the picture wearing his legendary number 14.
    ..and if you read the caption or accompanying writeup, Yco won over the NT of Spain.

    Caloy and a good number of contemporaries are very much alive. Kahit wala na sila sa Pilipinas, with the advances in communications, they can easily be contacted as resource persons. Provide a few questions as guidelines, but give them the liberty to make a narrative of what they recall. Maniwala kayo, mahaba ang mga sagot niyan at magsasanga-sanga.

    Maniwala rin kayo it will not be limited to their own era.

    For sure they have something to say about those who came before them, those who they looked up to as aspiring players; and also about those upcoming players as they themselves were at the tail end of their careers.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

  8. #28

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    I'd also love to have a copy of that. Kuya Jay P Mercado should be a good resource person.

  9. #29

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Alright, I finally found the time to scan papa's photos(Antonio 'Joker' Faustino):

    Its now posted at:
    http://www.gameface.ph/gallery.htm under 'personal collections'

  10. #30

    Re: MICAA expert or historian

    Quote Originally Posted by oca
    Quote Originally Posted by RedKfir
    ^ That sounds very interesting, I hope it takes off the ground and be produced.

    Here is one incident that happened the 80s, I was lounging in the old San Beda Alumni Association Office and I decided to look at the old pictures and articles. I came across an old picture (circa 1950s) showing the Yco team led by Caloy Loyzaga going up against the Spanish national team in Spain! If I remember it correctly, the old black and white picture showed the Spanish team in white and Yco was in dark. In addition, King Caloy was in the picture wearing his legendary number 14.


    ..and if you read the caption or accompanying writeup, Yco won over the NT of Spain.

    Caloy and a good number of contemporaries are very much alive. Kahit wala na sila sa Pilipinas, with the advances in communications, they can easily be contacted as resource persons. Provide a few questions as guidelines, but give them the liberty to make a narrative of what they recall. Maniwala kayo, mahaba ang mga sagot niyan at magsasanga-sanga.

    Maniwala rin kayo it will not be limited to their own era.

    For sure they have something to say about those who came before them, those who they looked up to as aspiring players; and also about those upcoming players as they themselves were at the tail end of their careers.
    Yes, the old-timers are very much around. Recently , Caloy Loyzaga e-mailed the Bedan alumni from different generations just to say hello. He is enjoying life in Australia.

    The resource and network from gamefacers alone are enough to produce an objective and authoritative book in print or CD version.

    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

 
Visitor count:
Copyright © 2005 - 2013. Gameface.ph