twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MICAA expert or historian

Share/Bookmark

MICAA expert or historian

Hi,

maybe someone can help please please. My father, Antonio "joker" Faustino played for the National University Bulldogs college team in the late 1940s . I have a bulldogs pic with him circa 1948 to 1949.
    He also played in a manila-based commercial league in the 1950s ,and I dont know if it was MICAA or another league. I had a pic of him when he was in the commercial league but i lost it =(* i think the team was either Philippine Air lines, STANVAC or MOBIL. my memory is hazy on this.
    I was dumbfounded the other day when I saw on the internet that apparently he also coached a team with Caloy Loyzaga as one of the players. ( i do know that caloy went to high school at National university too). in fact, my papa grew up in santa mesa where Caloy also grew up.
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any info or stats about my Papa either or both while he was playing for NU and later when he played in the commercial league(MICAA)
    He died when he was only 43 ,and i was only a little kid , thats why there is this missing info in his life I would like to know. does anyone also know caloy loyzaga's email address?* Thanks !*

Re: MICAA expert or historian

hi pachador, i would suggest you get in touch with the more venerable posters here in gameface such as monL and escalera jr. maybe they can help you piece together the missing pieces of your father's basketball career. medyo mahihirapan lang tayong maghanap ng mga stats tungkol sa dad mo. if you're up to it, maybe you can try visiting public libraries in your area and inquire if they have back issues of the free press and sunday times magazine from the late 40s to the 50s. i recall those publications had the most extensive sports coverage in that era. am sorry to hear that he died at a very young age.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Thank you kid cubao. actually nasa los angeles na ako pero hopefully, monl or escalera can help me kahit man lang to find out what commercial or micaa tean he played for. sana someone will write a book about the history of micaa

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    hi pachador, i would suggest you get in touch with the more venerable posters here in gameface such as monL and escalera jr. maybe they can help you piece together the missing pieces of your father's basketball career. medyo mahihirapan lang tayong maghanap ng mga stats tungkol sa dad mo. if you're up to it, maybe you can try visiting public libraries in your area and inquire if they have back issues of the free press and sunday times magazine from the late 40s to the 50s. i recall those publications had the most extensive sports coverage in that era. am sorry to hear that he died at a very young age.

Quote Originally Posted by pachador
    Thank you kid cubao. actually nasa los angeles na ako pero hopefully, monl or escalera can help me kahit man lang to find out what commercial or micaa tean he played for. sana someone will write a book about the history of micaa

(/quote)
    Hello there pachador,

Being a nut-crazy basketball fanatic, i will try during my free time to do some "research" on your dad's history during the 50's...mind you, thats decades way way ahead of my time. Hindi ako ganon katanda pero lets see what we can find.

In today's highly advance info technology, everything seems to be within the grasp of our fingertips...might even just be a Google away.

I'm in Sydney, and from bits n pieces of news i've read, the elder Loyzagas have migrated & are now residing here in Australia.
    This alone could be a tip for you in case you want to do your own research.

Caloy L. "The Big Difference" is such a great basketball icon, why not click on this topic and maybe it could lead you to some valuable information regarding your Dad who lived a very short life but lucky enough to be able to witness one of the most exciting era in Philippine Basketball...the era when our very own RP Team placed 3rd in the World Basketball Championship held in Brazil.* *

Thanks Escalera,

In my research i found out that one of my dad's teammates at National university Bulldogs in college was Florentino Bautista who was also one of Caloy Loyzaga's teammates on the famous 1954 Philippine national team that won the bronze medal at the World championships.* . I also have another pic of my dad when he was still in high school. handwritten on the pic were the words "Sardonyx junior basketball" team, and in the background was him and his teammates who were all white spanish or american mestizo. at the back of the players is a faint plaque of some sort of coat of arms which made me think that maybe my dad played in one of the catholic schools near sta. mesa(?) since my Dad grew up in Sta Mesa area . The names(handwriting is fading) of his teammates in what appears to be his high school or intramural team are:
    mike soques
    buly earnshaw
    chuchi ventosa
    _ely paredes
    __bby alberto
    Poch martinez
    bebe ventosa
    mari alvarez
    m____ ventosa
    tony faustino
    danding gomez
    pepito serrano
    pepet raquisa
    terry chico
    johnny ventosa

the only other pic i have is of his days with NU bulldogs. the pic says "1949 NU blue and gold bulldogs", and the teammates handwritten on the back ofthe pic were:
    Sunga, Escober, Romero, Yabot, Magsino, Nerit, Faustino, Calinog, Messina, DE Villa, Bautista, Sambrano, Geron, Villamor, Barrios.

Loyzaga only played high school varsity at NU then did his college varsity at San Beda.

Sorry for bearing with me. i was just hoping that other posters will know something to fill this gap in my life.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ESCALERA JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachador

(/quote)
    Hello there pachador,

Being a nut-crazy basketball fanatic, i will try during my free time to do some "research" on your dad's history during the 50's...mind you, thats decades way way ahead of my time. Hindi ako ganon katanda pero lets see what we can find.

In today's highly advance info technology, everything seems to be within the grasp of our fingertips...might even just be a Google away.

I'm in Sydney, and from bits n pieces of news i've read, the elder Loyzagas have migrated & are now residing here in Australia.
    This alone could be a tip for you in case you want to do your own research.

Caloy L. "The Big Difference" is such a great basketball icon, why not click on this topic and maybe it could lead you to some valuable information regarding your Dad who lived a very short life but lucky enough to be able to witness one of the most exciting era in Philippine Basketball...the era when our very own RP Team placed 3rd in the World Basketball Championship held in Brazil.* *

pacahdor,
    looking at the hints from the line up -

1. the ventosa clan is a solid RED clan. SBC games are being attended still by memebrs of the clan. Archie ventosa I think is the son of MON VENTOSA ( founder of SBCA and the Little Red indians). The miising letters below could be "ON". Mon has been very active during the late 40s up to the 50s- thsi tells you that you have a big chance. You wll be able to see them in the NCAA games this season 83 and we can arrange a meeting with you to check. Teka, nandito ka ba sa Pinas?
    2. You may want to scan the pic and post it here so that we can check the coat of arms. Juts adjust the granularity and contrast so that we can check properly.
    3. Another one is Messina- he may be related to Jenkins messina- who used to be a Red Cub and a Maroon and then a Red LIon again. He is I think active in the SBC Alumni league in CA, US.
    4. Another tip is that clans usually stay in our Mighty Red School and you can still see their descendants in GS,HS and College. This is a long shot but still a possibility.
    Our fellowship will never cease!
    ANIMO SAN BEDA!

thanks lekiboy,

hmmm baka san beda pala si papa sa high school anyway, i'll try to get hold of a scanner then i'll post the pics here.

Quote Originally Posted by lekiboy
    pacahdor,
    looking at the hints from the line up -

1. the ventosa clan is a solid RED clan. SBC games are being attended still by memebrs of the clan. Archie ventosa I think is the son of MON VENTOSA ( founder of SBCA and the Little Red indians). The miising letters below could be "ON". Mon has been very active during the late 40s up to the 50s- thsi tells you that you have a big chance. You wll be able to see them in the NCAA games this season 83 and we can arrange a meeting with you to check. Teka, nandito ka ba sa Pinas?
    2. You may want to scan the pic and post it here so that we can check the coat of arms. Juts adjust the granularity and contrast so that we can check properly.
    3. Another one is Messina- he may be related to Jenkins messina- who used to be a Red Cub and a Maroon and then a Red LIon again. He is I think active in the SBC Alumni league in CA, US.
    4. Another tip is that clans usually stay in our Mighty Red School and you can still see their descendants in GS,HS and College. This is a long shot but still a possibility.

damn, if only i can find my old research material...

i'm hardly "venerable" at 28, but i did read up a lot on the old MICAA days during my bum squad days...mga 4-5 years ago. hoping to resume...or redo my research in the near future, provided the national library still has those jurassic-era newspapers, and provided i can find spare time from my work... :D but if i do scrounge up something, it'll be posted here. :D

pachador - malamang sa PAL naglaro yung father mo, i don't remember a STANVAC or Mobil team in the MICAA. though i might be wrong... ???
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensauceph

hi irateluvmachine,

thanks for any info you can find.....

http://mypba.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4464

suddenly bumped into this thread a few minutes ago. nagpost pala ako dyan, using the nick "sayotemilkshake"...damn, it's been that long since i last logged into mypba! ;D

ok dun yung mga posts ni jay mercado at percival flores...they have some interesting stories about the immediate pre-PBA days...
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensauceph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast