+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Denies PCU Probe

Share/Bookmark

Re: NCAA Denies PCU Probe

PCU coach claims no knowledge of player’s scheme

By Waylon Galvez
    mb.com.ph

PHILIPPINE CHRISTIAN University junior team coach Bong Sales yesterday said he had no knowledge that one of the players who tried out for his team was using another person’s identity and practically admitted that, like the school’s other sports officials, he too was fooled by Vincent King Importante.

Importante was found to have used his cousin’s name and birth certificate when he tried out for the PCU high school basketball team last year.

During an investigation conducted by the NCAA management committee headed by Henry Atayde, Importante confessed to switching identities with his cousin, Jaypee Importante.

His confession led to the suspension of PCU from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) for one year in all league sports beginning this school year. It also nullified the Baby Dolphins’ runner-up finish last season.

Sales said that Importante was a walk-in aspirant who presented what the player claimed were his school records.

As a result of the scandal, the school dismissed the entire junior coaching staff, an action that caught Sales by surprise.

"What I know is that they suspended me, not dismissed," Sales said.

The dismissal of the coaching staff was announced by PCU athletic director Fred Olano last Monday.

The embattled coach said he’s hurt by insinuations that he had a hand in Importante’s entry to the team.

"Masakit nga na sinasabi nila (NCAA) na may alam ako sa recruitment. I already told them (investigating committee) wala akong alam," the 54-year-old Sales told the Bulletin. "Siyempre masakit na masuspend ang PCU dahil sa nangyari, na hindi naman natin kagustuhan."

Three other PCU players — Victor Miguel Oliveros and brothers James and Cesar Degano — are also being investigated for the same offense.

Meanwhile, life goes on for the PCU seniors’ squad.

Dolphins coach Joel Dualan said they will start rebuilding the squad following the expected departure of veteran players Jason Castro and Beau Belga.

"Siyempre mabigat sa loob namin ‘yung nangyari, damay lahat. Hindi lang kami ang apektado pati ibang teams ng PCU from other events," said Dualan. "Now we have to start rebuilding the team."

Dualan said that Castro and Belga already informed him their intention to join the PBA Rookie Draft this August.

"Nasa kamay na ng mga official ng PCU kung ano ang next step para sa amin. For me I’ll stick with PCU, tuloy ang training. If there’s a chance for us to join other tournaments mas maganda," he said.

The suspension prevents PCU from defending its seniors’ title.

www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Quote Originally Posted by gameface_one
    AMID SUSPENSION
    Dolphins continuing training, rebuilding

By Marc Anthony Reyes
    Inquirer
    Last updated 03:35am (Mla time) 04/25/2007

The PCU varsity basketball team, according to coach Joel Dualan, will continue to train and even spend the rest of the season “rebuilding” in preparation for the next season.
    * * *One of PCU's NCAA 82 rookies, Sam Jordan Hermosa, has already returned home to Cebu and is trying out for some CeSAFI schools.* Hermosa was a pure freshman last season out of the University of Southern Philippines Foundation High School.

hi!

Anthony Servinio, sir, sayang naman ang batang yan. he could be expecting so much to play basketball with a champion team like PCU only to find out that his expectations will be dashed by the suspension of the Dolphins from the NCAA.

also, sayang si Jason Castro. with PCU now in absentia from competitive sports, panahon na siguro para tumalon siya papuntang PBA sa halip na mapanis ang talento niya.

sayang madami pa naman din magaling sa PCU

so when they invited the NCAA to look at their players which they claim was clean they were actually face up lying?

ang lungkot naman...

because we all know that it is also the coach and the coaching staff's responsibility to verify and cross verify eligibility of all its players.. i hope not all blame is placed on the young man...

This issue wasn't really followed up by the press after the decision.
    Is there anyone there who can provide info on what has and will happen to PCU?
    ---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by GHRanger
    This issue wasn't really followed up by the press after the decision.
    Is there anyone there who can provide info on what has and will happen to PCU?
    I suppose the point of interest is more on "What will happen...".

From a conversation I had with one of the liason/assitant of a school rep (This was about 3 weeks ago. I initiated the conversation to ask kung totoo ba ang balita nang expulsion.), the NCAA is awaiting- yes, still awaiting - PCU's submission of it's own findings. ( Sinuspend na sila wala pa ring report sa Board.)

Ang problema raw with PCU is it seems not too willing to name names on its report.

But they cannot possibly protect individuals as the NCAA had asked the NBI to investigate. Infact, the student-athletes in question have all been interviewed. The kids named names and for PCU to be silent about them is not acceptable to the Board.

Duon nagsimula ang usapin ng expulsion.

If PCU will not come clean in its own report, di magdadalawang isip ang Board to expell them.

Banggit lang ng kausap ko. After the suspension, PCU said it has terminated the services of the Juniors coaching staff and team manager. Then, nang magsimula ang FMC at NSL, the same coaches/manager were still handling the team!

Nang lumabas ang usapan ng expulsion, saka lang nawala ang mga nasabing tao sa Juniors team.

Kailangan pa yatang takutin para kumilos.

PCU is now tasked to submit a report of what it has done to cleanse it ranks. The NCAA will then make an appraisal and determine what action to take- reinstatement by Seaon84 or expulsion.

Ang mabigat dito, a NCAA Board rep wants PCU to take criminal and/or civil action against those liable. Pag hindi, this Board rep may push for expulsion.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

Nang lumabas ang usapan ng expulsion, saka lang nawala ang mga nasabing tao sa Juniors team.

who are they pointing out here? Is this a player or one of the coaching staffs? I saw them play in NSL a new set of coaching staff was on board...

Quote Originally Posted by anniegurl

who are they pointing out here? Is this a player or one of the coaching staffs? I saw them play in NSL a new set of coaching staff was on board...
    At the start of the NSL, the "previous coaches and managers" were still handling the team. Later na lang pinalitan, though weeks earlier school officials were quoted in the papers as saying wala na ang mga nasabing tao.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

I find this so unfair sana mga coaches na lang ang isuspend. Its not the players fault. All the kids wants to do is play. Most of the players from PCU are from a less than average family. They were offered free scholarship to play for the school. I dont know the degano brothers pero ive seen them play ang laki ng potential nung magkapatid lalo na si James. Sayang talaga. I hope PCU clears this out para naman maayos na.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast