twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: UAAP vs NCAA

Share/Bookmark

UAAP vs NCAA

I am watching the NCAA game between San Beda and Letran today(July 28, 2006). I can't help but be dismayed how these guys play. They play with a lot of indiviualistic effort. Parang sobrang walang play. I look at the coaches' reactions and they just let it be. Parang wala talaga compaerd with the UAAP teams where you see that they played a more organized game.

UAAP basketball employs plays and system. They go about their business systematically. They start their defense and offense with plays. They set-up.

Ano tingin niyo kasi as I see it maybe sa game lang na ito, college na larong kanto pa din ang NCAA.
    Practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect so why practice!!!

Re: UAAP vs NCAA

am watching the game as well, but have a different take. both coaches (coy banal and louie alas) apply an uptempo type of pace, which means they force the action. the personnel of both teams have athletic talent to play at an extremely fast and aggressive pace. louie alas has a terrific point guard in boyet bautista who controls pace extremely well, while coy has a lot of weapons on the red lions team this year.

the ncaa is geared more towards offensive action, while the UAAP is more defense oriented. coach coy's bias for defense is making an impact in San Beda this year.

congrats to san beda for winning the game
    do something good for someone else everyday !

Pero kasi kahit nakaset up na yung opensa, sobrang one on one pa din e. Parang there was no sense na i break up yung depensa.
    Practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect so why practice!!!

i think the NCAA can match up with the UAAP anytime, anywhere. baka sa game lng ngayon kasi feeling ko ang letran umaasa talaga kay boyet and Aaron. kaya nag mukhang one on one. pero look at mapua anyone can score in their team. depende talaga sa depensa. well, i also feel that the Uaap is more hyped than the NCAA. maybe in the past years lamang talaga ang UAAP sa talent against the NCAA pero ngayon i dont really know. who can match up against Espinas or a boyet bautista in the UAAP? i think it really depends on the coach din.
    Don't have a mindset of being a point guard or being a center. Have that mindset that you want to be a basketball player.

Both the UAAP and NCAA, being collegiate leagues are employing a more aggressive, fast- pace kind of game which is much better appreciated if witnessed live rather than on TV.

However, magkaiba lang siguro sa audience/market as i see the Uaap more wholesome, family oriented where you can bring along family members to enjoy the weekend games.

You cannot say the same with NC as its market is purely for the fanatical hardcore and a bit more riotous audience. There are some who prefer this kind of games, count me as one of them kaya mas enjoy akong manuod ng NCAA.

Kanya-kanyang taste lang siguro.

hmmm... sino kaya pwede i match up kay Sam Ekwe from the UAAP?

si Big Boned Bono..? IMO hindi uubra si Ken kay Sam.. Agile big man si Ekwe at mas lean kaysa ke Bono..
    hmm.. mukhang walang i mamatch pag dating ng friendship games..

Gentlemen,

I thought this forum was to have NCAA teams vs, UAAP teams. Comparative type of playing pala. Pero, how would NCAA teams fare against UAAP teams??? the answer will hopefully unfold in the FILOIL FLYING V HOMEGROWN CUP this coming October 28, 2006.

We have 9 teams (yes team A mga ito - we have a signed letter of intent from the Athletic Directors)) as per todate. From the NCAA, San Beda, Letran and SSC-R are joining. St. Benilde and JRU are knocking at the door. From the UAAP, we have UE, UP, UST, FEU, Ateneo and yes gentlemen - La Salle is in.

We will have an Ateneo - La Salle play game after all in a full blown tournament. I am including the press release we had 2 and half weeks ago.

FILOIL – FLYING V Homegrown Cup College Edition – A Fund Raising Project

The TOTAL - FILOIL Flying V Homegrown Cup, introduced last March, was such a success that high school, alumni players and their coaches had asked for more.

“We shall prepare better next time.” “When is the next tournament?” Such were the parting words of several participants as the tournament concluded.

FILOIL-Flying V Sports (FFVS) heard these requests and this coming October, right
    after the UAAP and NCAA wars, will come the FILOIL college edition of the Homegrown Cup.

Nine schools have confirmed their participation – six from the UAAP, led by arch-rivals De La Salle and Ateneo, and three from the NCAA – Letran, San Beda and San Sebastian.

With Far Eastern, University of the East and University of the Philippines providing worthy challenge, the best schools from the two premier leagues are destined to clash for supremacy in one tournament.

Like the maiden Homegrown Tournament, FILOIL – Flying V Sports will donate cash prizes to the winners, with the objective of supporting the schools athletic scholarship program.

Further, the organizers will donate 10 percent of ticket sales generated throughout the tournament to the Pondo ng Pinoy Community Foundation, Inc. headed by His Eminence Gaudencio B. Cardinal Rosales, the Archbishop of Manila.

Homegrown? What does one mean when mentioning the word? This is where the uniqueness of the tournament comes in. Each school will be required to have a minimum of three homegrown talents in their line-ups.

The players must have completed secondary education from the same university or college that they are currently lined up in. In short, they must have “stayed home.”

FFVS believes that the recruitment and development of players should start at the secondary or even better, the primary level so their talent could be utilized later by the college or university that trained them.

The long-term goal is have full-blown “homegrown” teams competing against each other. Homegrown players unable to make it to the school’s A Team, will have a tournament to look forward to, allowing them to further hone their skills.

Slowly but surely, this plateau will be reached. For the first year, FFVS has required at least three 3 homegrown talents. The following year in will increase to six then nine and 12 until a “real homegrown” team can be created.

Commissioner Virgil Villavicencio, league chairman David Dualan, project head Anthony Suntay, coordinator Dan Noguera and the rest of the organizers promise a slam bang-affair.

I think the UAAP plays more half court ball and mas mautak mga player. Although sadly, they are also less physical. Mas bara-bara mga NCAA players pero hindi takot sa physicality. Pag sa larong labas, mga commercial league, mga UAAP players puro reklamo sa ref. Hindi sanay parang konting bunggo lang kala niya sinasaktan na siya. Eh ganun naman talaga ang basketball. Pero in fairness, sa NCAA parang sa tingin ko, masasabi ko lang Letran, San Beda at PCU lang ang may kayang lumaban sa UAAP teams. Yung iba, pwede na ibaba sa mga ibang liga, mga ncraa, ETC. Talagang mahina pa.

Pana-panahon lang.

At intermittent periods, the best players in this country would come from the UAAP, then NCAA, vice versa.

During this immediate past, because of its high profile, the UAAP has collectively attracted better players. But I believe that in less than 5 years, NCAA players will be hugging the limelight.

This opinion is based on a comparison of the current eligibility rules of both leagues. Masyadong restrictive ang UAAP. That 2-year residency alone for transferees at the UAAP will discourage a lot of players. To cite examples, 2 names come to mind - Dela Pena of MIT and San Beda aspirant Chris Camus. Both grew in North America, they just couldn't wait for 2 years before suiting up. So, they limited their choice of school at the NCAA.

Also, the UAAP prohibits the fielding of two "foreign students" at the same time. The NCAA has no restrictions on that. There's no denying that there is that new generation of Filipinos who were born or who grew up overseas who would want to play this game. The UAAP rules are just not hospitable.

Without citing more details, UAAP's restrictive eligibility rules will have a cummulative negative effect on the quality of the league's players.

Now duon sa punto ng style of play, nasa panlasa na yan ng nanonood.

But it is patently wrong to say one league is better over the other in terms of how we see their respective teams compete among themselves.

Para sa akin, pagtapatin mo ang mga iyan, saka ka magsalita pagkatapos.

Pero sa isang katulad ko, I think NCAA basketball is better overall. Because same importance is given to the Juniors competition. That is undisputable.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by chocoks77
    I am watching the NCAA game between San Beda and Letran today(July 28, 2006). I can't help but be dismayed how these guys play. They play with a lot of indiviualistic effort. Parang sobrang walang play. I look at the coaches' reactions and they just let it be. Parang wala talaga compaerd with the UAAP teams where you see that they played a more organized game.

UAAP basketball employs plays and system. They go about their business systematically. They start their defense and offense with plays. They set-up.

Ano tingin niyo kasi as I see it maybe sa game lang na ito, college na larong kanto pa din ang NCAA.
    Well kanya kanyang opinion yan.

The way you said it, para kong nakikinita sina Koy Banal, Louie Alas, Angel Vanguardia and the other coaches telling their players - "go guys, we encourage you not to observe team play. mag swapang kayo ok lang sa amin."

Seriously, the San Beda-Letran game was admittedly ugly. The players had to resort to individualistic play because both teams played good team defense. The offensive patterns were disrupted. Naipipilitan ang mga players na mag create ng situations. Kung napanood mo lang yung game sa tv, hindi mo makikita kung gaano ka physical yung laro.

Pag pinapanood ko din ang laro ng UAAP teams, ganoon din naman ang nakikita ko. Lots of individualistic plays, hindi pa physical ang laro ng mga yan. Subukan ninyong kalabanin ang Letran, tingnan natin kung hindi maging bara bara ang laro ninyo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast