twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Have The Enforcers Gone?

Share/Bookmark

Where Have The Enforcers Gone?

* * *GONE are the days when the so-called ENFORCERS terrorized the pro leagues.* They were a headache for the players they guarded but more so for the referees and Commissioner's Office.

* * *Their mere presence alone struck fear in the hearts of the opposition.* Their look was as if it was lifted out of a mold for villains in a Pinoy action movie.

* * *Sadly, today's PBA is loaded with too much pretty boys and sissies who are afraid to get hurt.* Bring back the enforcers!

Re: Where Have The Enforcers Gone?

I guess you'll just have to pray that Ira Buyco makes it to the PBA. :D

If you're looking for enforcers, check out half of Red Bull's line-up.
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

Enforcer be ka'mo Sir Anthony?

Wala na ngang mga tunay na enforcer ngayon. 'Yung mga feeling siga gaya nung Enrico Villanueva at Jimwell Torion, ewan ko lang kung may tinagal 'yon sa mga gaya nina Dave Regullano at Tembong Melencio.

Ang huling naalala kong mga enforcer sa PBA sina Jay Mendoza (suki ng mga import) at Wilmer Ong (na isa sa mga huling naging "special forces" ni Jawo).

Pero teka, ano bang enforcer talaga? Ito ba 'yung wala ng ibang papel kundi mangumbag at mambarog ng kalaban? Kasi ang mga dating enforcer magagaling talagang maglaro, mga gaya nina Ricky Relosa, Vic "Rambo" Sanchez, Onchie dela Cruz at Rudy "Destroyer" Distrito. So hindi lang sila mga balyador, mga matitinding player talaga sila.
    "Kung ayaw mong masaktan mag-chess ka na lang!"

Wang-bu has a point. Some of our most notorious enforcers are actually skilled basketball players to begin with, so you must first have the talent to back up your moxie. It's just that some of them got too carried away with their antics that the front office and the public grew tired of them.

In my view, the final straw was the premeditated flying tackle by RFM's Rudy Distrito on then Alaska rookie Jeffry Cariaso in the 1995 All-Filipino Championship. I recall it was already the dying seconds of Game 4, the outcome no longer in doubt with an Alaska win, when Cariaso received a pass off a teammate's steal on Distrito. He was coasting for the open layup on the other end when Distrito, no doubt incensed that Alaska continued to play defense in garbage time, sprinted downcourt, took off with a full head of steam, and gave the rookie everything he got except the kitchen sink. Cariaso received a massive blow to the face in mid-air, and then crashed and crumpled when he hit the hardwood. The referees read Distrito the riot act and was thrown out with less than three seconds remaining IN THE GAME. The front office slapped Distrito with an indefinite suspension, which took its toll for he was never the same player again after his return a year later.

So my answer to "where have the enforcers gone?" is simple: they cleaned up their act for fear of punitive measures by the Commish. They're still around, but they've met someone or something that can hurt them more than all the hurt they can ever dish out: THE PURSE.*
    You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper is white, the best golfer is black, and the tallest NBA player is Chinese.

Teams are bent on signing Paul Artadis and Paolo Mendozas instead of the Froilan Baguions
    and the Robin Mendozas.

Style over substance....form over function.

May enforcers pa rin on the league...but only a handful and they get less playing time...
    One of them is Kiko Adriano.

Image at marketing na kasi ang importante ngayon. Players are supposed to sell products. Kaya maraming nagtataka kung bakit sa katatapos lang na drafting sa PBA e maraming players na magagaling na hindi nakuha dahil hindi masyadong maganda ang image nila.

Ito ngang si Big Mac Andaya na nakuha na sa draft e nanganganib pa na hindi mabigyan ng kontrata dahil sa kanyang hitsura.

Di pa puwedeng ma interview yang si Big Mac at parang may nakabara sa ilong pag nagsasalita.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoops McCann
    Wang-bu has a point. Some of our most notorious enforcers are actually skilled basketball players to begin with, so you must first have the talent to back up your moxie. It's just that some of them got too carried away with their antics that the front office and the public grew tired of them.

In my view, the final straw was the premeditated flying tackle by RFM's Rudy Distrito on then Alaska rookie Jeffry Cariaso in the 1995 All-Filipino Championship. I recall it was already the dying seconds of Game 4, the outcome no longer in doubt with an Alaska win, when Cariaso received a pass off a teammate's steal on Distrito. He was coasting for the open layup on the other end when Distrito, no doubt incensed that Alaska continued to play defense in garbage time, sprinted downcourt, took off with a full head of steam, and gave the rookie everything he got except the kitchen sink. Cariaso received a massive blow to the face in mid-air, and then crashed and crumpled when he hit the hardwood. The referees read Distrito the riot act and was thrown out with less than three seconds remaining IN THE GAME. The front office slapped Distrito with an indefinite suspension, which took its toll for he was never the same player again after his return a year later.

So my answer to "where have the enforcers gone?" is simple: they cleaned up their act for fear of punitive measures by the Commish. They're still around, but they've met someone or something that can hurt them more than all the hurt they can ever dish out: THE PURSE.*
    Any updates on the Destroyer? Last I heard he we still languishing in a jail in the US for killing a Central American. The once mighty enforcer is in jail.
    Practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect so why practice!!!

chocoks, nanganganib si rudy distrito because las vegas county prosecutors want nothing more than a death sentence if he gets convicted. a number of former PBA stars now residing in the states have managed to put up a number of charity events to raise enough funds for him to contract the services of a top defense lawyer. it's that bad for him. what i heard is he can't invoke self defense after the coroner report said that his victim succumbed to multiple stab wounds--emphasis on the multiple.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    chocoks, nanganganib si rudy distrito because las vegas county prosecutors want nothing more than a death sentence if he gets convicted. a number of former PBA stars now residing in the states have managed to put up a number of charity events to raise enough funds for him to contract the services of a top defense lawyer. it's that bad for him. what i heard is he can't invoke self defense after the coroner report said that his victim succumbed to multiple stab wounds--emphasis on the multiple.
    From what we have read in the papers, the victim was in the company of Distrito's "ex". Hindi ba pwedeng depensa yung "crime of passion" ? Of course, hindi naman exactly "flagrante delicto" yung victim at yung "ex". Pero kung talagang may "recent relationship" si Distrito at yung babae na kasama ng victim... I suppose pwedeng hanapan ng paraan maging depensa yun.

Also, I read before that Distrito is not the owner "owner" of the knife ?

Kung hindi nga, ibig sabihin hindi premeditated. Then, bakit naman death penalty ang hihingin ng prosecution?

Kung naagaw niya lang yung weapon, kahit ilang beses niya pang sinaksak yun, I don't think death penalty ang pwedeng ipataw na parusa.* Professional witnesses can be called and explain to the jury ano ang kayang gawin ng taong "nagdilim ang paningin".
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast