twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the 2006 world basketball championships thread

Share/Bookmark

the 2006 world basketball championships thread

the 2006 world basketball championships will be held in japan starting this saturday, august 19th. here are the groupings:

group A:

argentina
    france
    lebanon
    nigeria
    serbia & montenegro
    venezuela

group B:

angola
    spain
    germany
    japan
    new zealand
    panama

group C:

australia
    brazil
    greece
    lithuania
    qatar
    turkey

group D:

china
    italy
    puerto rico
    senegal
    slovenia
    united states of america

for all discussions on the game, please post it here.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Re: the 2006 world basketball championships thread

I watched some of the exhibition games the past few days on Solar Sports and Star Sports.

USA is a good and deep team, but they seem to be lacking outside shooters, like a Redd or Kobe. But any team with Lebron, Wade, and Melo is still one dangerous team. I can see them playing in the Finals.

Team Brazil is very competitive, especially with their 2 NBA players in Varejao and Barbosa, plus forever draft prospect Tiago Splitter. They came very close in defeating the US a few days ago.

My favourite team to watch is the Spanish team, who just went undeafeated in the Singapore Cup exhibition, and just demolished Argentina in the final game. The Gasol brothers, Navarro, Calderon, Garbajosa, Sergio Rodriguez, and "Da Boy" Rudy Fernandez are one solid team, and should also be considered favourites in the tournament.

Although Argentina* had a terrible game against Spain, it is not an indication of their talent level. I am certain that they will get their act together by this week in Japan, especially with Ginobili as their leader, and talent in Nocioni, Scola, and Oberto.

Somehow I feel Bruce Bowen was injected in the team just to guard Manu.

Yet, the last 2 cuts should be him and Shane.

i think group C is the "group of death" because they're all so evenly matched as compared to the other groups. spain is just so smoothly orchestrated by point guard juan carlos navarro. however, the underlying storyline of team USA, which is their quest for lost glory, is quite compelling and makes for great drama in the worlds.

For group C.. count the Aussies and Qatar out

i'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the united states is the favored team to win it all this year. coach mike K (not allan K) has shown that he has the respect of his star players by buying into his defensive philosophy of all-out pressure from the get-go. observers, on the other hand, have agreed there are five teams that can keep the US from bagging the 2006 worlds. these are argentina, france, germany, serbia and montenegro, and spain.

Llamado talaga US.
    But I think Coack K wants to keep it low to avoid the pressure that many
    unsuccessfull so-called "dream teams" had in the past.
    I still like their chances...this commitment to defense and team-first philosophy
    will go a long way in next week's tournament.

by the way,
    Who are you going to cut, Kid Cubao?

if it were me, i'm not inclined to cut any member of the US team after they sacrificed their offseasons for this. instead, i'd name them as alternates who should be ready to see action when any of the regulars becomes unable to play. under FIBA rules, you can name a lineup that exceeds the 12-man roster just as long as you only play a maximum of 12 players each game.

If I am not mistaken, the final lineups that will be submitted to FIBA should be only 12 players so there will be players who'll get cut.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

hmmm, talagang inoobliga na pala nila na mag-submit ng 12-man roster ang bawat team? dati hindi ganyan, may mga nagsa-submit ng 18-man lineup basta ang usapan ay 12 lang ang pwedeng naka-uniporme tuwing laro.

as far as who's gonna get cut, i don't know. hard decision even for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast