twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UE's Guards - The Weak Link?

Share/Bookmark

UE's Guards - The Weak Link?

Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    actually, the weak link in UE is their guards. believe it or not.

yup. i'm so glad you think so too. akala ko ako lang ang nakapansin...
    Background: This started on the Blue Eagle's "Macky Escalona" Thread. Somebody posted that Custodio, et. al. were superior to Escalona, blah blah blah. So these were the comments that followed that statement. Parang mas bagay na dito pag-usapan.

Perhaps Kid Cubao can elaborate?

Re: UE's Guards - The Weak Link?

hereby reposted:

simple lang yan, mateen: marcy and bonbon are only good when they score. if they're off, they hurt their team more. lagabala is poor in picking apart defenses. the best guard they have is jorel canizares, but unfortunately he doesn't get enough playing time to be the effective 2-way guard that he really is.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

plus arellano is inconsistent at walang depensa. pati na rin si custodio. sure, he may be leading the team in points in their first 2 games, pero that's about it. he also leads the team in TO's. bonbon also has the tendency to be peychologically beaten as what LA did last year when he shut out custodio. depensahan lang nang maayos at maaga tong dalawang to, hirap na yan.

it will be espiritu and borboran carrying this team all season.
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

especially espiritu. he's a workhorse. great rebounder and shotblocker.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    pati na rin si custodio. sure, he may be leading the team in points in their first 2 games, pero that's about it. he also leads the team in TO's. bonbon also has the tendency to be peychologically beaten as what LA did last year when he shut out custodio. depensahan lang nang maayos at maaga tong dalawang to, hirap na yan.

it will be espiritu and borboran carrying this team all season.
    guys, we tend to forget something. Last year year, we had japeth and LA. bon-bon's offensive prowess is anchored on his slashes on pop plays. sa presence ni japeth last year, sira na diskarte dito ni bonbon. sa mga pop plays and jumpers niya, LA was quick enough to follow him. plus, alam ni bonbon magaling talaga si LA! ;D

nakakalaro kasi ng neighbor ko itong si bonbon and sabi niya, medyo kabado talaga to pag alam niyang may pangalan na kalaban niya!

anyway, sana nga bon-bon continues to play bad pag ateneo kalaban.... ;D

If we're talking about UE guards, then James Martinez needs to be mentioned as well. Methinks he is just as underrated as Canizares.

Cubao, regarding your take on how Macky would measure up to Custodio, Arellano, et al, I do think you're selling Custodio a bit short here. To my mind, he's perhaps the most athletic offguard in the UAAP. The one thing I've noticed about Custodio this year is that he's taking the ball more to the hole and getting fouls.

UE does have awekaness at the guard position - the POINT guard position to be precise, since Labagala will never be confused with Paul Artadi.
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

^Perhaps. But Labagala isn't too shabby either.

Parang kinompare mo lang si Macky kay LA.

yes, there's no doubt about bonbon's skills and athleticism. but like i said, when he's off, he's a big liability because of his one-dimensional game.

james martinez, ah yes, he's one UE warrior we've overlooked in the discussion. let's see, he had a great game against UST, di ba? great pedigree, galing beda. sige, let's include him in the underrated category.

But more than the individual assessments of the players, what I found intriguing was the fact that you referred to UE's guards collectively. As in "the weak link in UE is their guardS".

That's Labagala, Custodio, Arellano, Martinez, Canizares. Which team's guard corps would you take over those 5?

i can see where kid cubao is getting at. the way i see it, the UE guard corps (as a collection of individual talent) is perhaps the best in the league right now. no one can argue that a guard lineup composed of those fine players is a coach's dream come true. however, there are instances--and there are many--in which those supposedly dynamite guards perform below expectations against certain teams and against certain opponents. and i wholeheartedly agree with kid cubao's underlying message that based on last season's head to head matchups between ATENEO AND UE, this group of guards failed to lift the warriors against the blue eagles. now i don't know the case between UE and mateen's team the UP maroons, but i wouldn't be surprised if last year UP failed to win a single game against them. in short, there are certain teams that UE owns, but based on the won-loss record dating back to the time of former UE coach boysie zamar, we in ateneo own UE.
    what do you call cheese that isn't yours? NACHO CHEESE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast