twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Falcons' Woes

Share/Bookmark

The Falcons' Woes

Poor Falcons...

...whatever they do, they are still bashed unforgivingly in PEx and other UAAP forums...

...their own university barely supports them (financially and otherwise) yet expects so much from them (Final Four or else!)...

...they aren't even given complementary tickets to their own games! The players have to pay to get decent seats for their girlfriends and families.

...they practice more than 3 hours each day (I expect them to get burned out pretty soon) yet still seem lost come game time...

...their requests and opinions are totally IGNORED by school officials (e.g. recommendations for team building venues, uniform designs, team policies, practice schedules, requests for muse/courtside reporter/team manager, etc. etc.)...

...the alumni have forgotten about them completely...

"It takes two to tango and ten to play basketball."

--- Horace Dump

Re: The Falcons' Woes

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee07
    Poor Falcons...
    Everybody loves a winner. Unfortunately, the Falcons have not been doing enough winning these past few years to beget a substantial amount of affection. The Trillo years were simply known for the sustained losing streak. The Alas experiment went awry (it also did not help that his first name started with an "M"). It has become a classic chicken-and-egg situation where the benefactors are waiting for results before pouring in more assistance and the team needs more support before it can make anything positive happen. Now, with a champion coach at the helm, expectations are actually higher, complicating the situation. I agree that it looks like a losing proposition, but it all boils down to what the team as a unit is willing to do in order to overcome the circumstances. Beyond talent they must show character.

Paging AdU school officials...the Falcons trounced the NU Bulldogs yesterday in a convincing fashion! Hopefully you guys can provide the players with decent tickets in the upcoming games so they don't have to buy from the ticket booths anymore. Come on! That's the least you can do! Stop pocketing the tickets 'cause you don't even come to the games to support your team!

--- Horace Dump

Paging AdU school officials...the Falcons trounced the NU Bulldogs yesterday in a convincing fashion! Hopefully you guys can provide the players with decent tickets in the upcoming games so they don't have to buy from the ticket booths anymore. Come on! That's the least you can do! Stop pocketing the tickets 'cause you don't even come to the games to support your team!
    I'm very familiar with heckling players, coaches, managers, referees, table officials, pep squads and the opponents' galleries, but this heckling of school officials is quite new to me. Coming from a school forum moderator at that. Well, maybe it'll catch on.

I will stand outside. If anybody asks, I'm OUTSTANDING.

Quote Originally Posted by arhtmahn

I'm very familiar with heckling players, coaches, managers, referees, table officials, pep squads and the opponents' galleries, but this heckling of school officials is quite new to me.* Coming from a school forum moderator at that.* Well, maybe it'll catch on.

The team needs support, arhtmahn. We've tried the gentle approach to no avail. The players did win as the school requested but nothing has changed..

According to our source from UE, they provide 40 complimentary LOWER BOX tickets to Adamson for each of their games for the players and team officials. None of these tickets ever reach the Falcons' hands. Instead, the school gives the team members one GALLERY ticket each. But there are lower box tickets available to them FOR SALE in case they want to buy some on-campus. :-\

--- Horace Dump

baka diretso sa friendly neighborhood scalper yan.
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

Let's take a look at what's happened to the Falcons the past decade or so.

I believe the last truly great Adamson team was the one that featured Kenneth Duremdes and Marlou Aquino. On that same team I recall they also had EJ Feihl, Jobet Pineda, Erwin Luna and Bong Dela Cruz. It was a very talented team that challenged yet another dominating team of that era, the Lasalle teams of Jun Limpot. After that it was one disappointing season after another. The Falcons simply could not come together as a team. Heck, Adamson's women's program has been far more successful than the Men's team in recent years.

As another member pointed out, the Luigi Trillo years were supposed to be a renaissance of sorts for the Falcons. Ken Bono was supposed to be the next great center of the UAAP. Ramil Tagupa was an underrated big pointguard. Mark Abadia was a certified college star player. Will Johnston was a do-it-all forward. Mark Agustin was a burgeoning and very talented power forward. Leo Canuday and Patrick Cabahug are dynamic guards. Rommel Hugnatan is a capable backup at the 4 and 5 spots. Trillo could hardly be called a coaching neophyte with four or five years at the helm.

So where did it all go wrong?

Tagupa and Abadia are gone. Trillo is gone now too. Johnston is now in the NCAA. Agustin is not the same given his injury last season. Bono is getting good numbers but his team is simply not winning consistently. They still have a lot of good players now providing a more diversified game with Mike Yong and Jun Pacheco providing athleticism and long-range shooting from the swing position. That Basilio kid is getting good minutes as a backup 5 and 4. marvin Poloyapoy has a bad do and a hard-to-say name but is admittedly an adequate guard. So Adamson still has a talented lineup.

Is Coach Leo Austria the man who will turn this collection of individual talents into a team ready to make a serious run at the Final 4?

I don't think this is a matter of the Admin and the Alumni pouring on the support. I know for a fact every that the Lady Falcons get nowhere near as much support as the Men's team. And if the Men aren't even getting that much support I don't even want to think about how little the Women are getting. And yet the Lady Falcons have won two of the last three UAAP championships. They've done it by playing as a solid unit, as a real team.

Perhaps Coach Vega should take a crack at coaching the Men's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel

I believe the last truly great Adamson team was the one that featured Kenneth Duremdes and Marlou Aquino.
    Man, I remember seeing Duremdes shoot the lights out at the Blue Eagle gym. At one UAAP game I think he scored close to 50pts.

The team needs support, arhtmahn. We've tried the gentle approach to no avail. The players did win as the school requested but nothing has changed..

According to our source from UE, they provide 40 complimentary LOWER BOX tickets to Adamson for each of their games for the players and team officials. None of these tickets ever reach the Falcons' hands. Instead, the school gives the team members one GALLERY ticket each. But there are lower box tickets available to them FOR SALE in case they want to buy some on-campus. :-\
    kaybee07, I take your word that your team needs more local support, but airing out dirty laundry is not the answer, agitation rarely is. I suggest that you use your position as moderator to build up more interest and sympathy for the team, especially from your student body. An onlooker like me may empathize with you, but I will still be in no position to effect any significant change, unlike those of you who can work from within the system.

I will stand outside. If anybody asks, I'm OUTSTANDING.

Quote Originally Posted by arhtmahn

kaybee07, I take your word that your team needs more local support, but airing out dirty laundry is not the answer, agitation rarely is.* I suggest that you use your position as moderator to build up more interest and sympathy for the team, especially from your student body.* An onlooker like me may empathize with you, but I will still be in no position to effect any significant change, unlike those of you who can work from within the system.

I appreciate your opinion, arhtmahn. However, and I did consult with the team members before making their concerns public, the players have repeatedly spoken to the Adamson school officials about their concerns. They feel that the fact that no concrete action was taken by the university means that their pleas were ignored and the school remains indifferent to their needs. :'(

I have spoken to students who are also willing to support the Falcons but are also discouraged by the fact that they have to pay P150 to get decent seats for the games. Everybody wants to know where Adamson's complementary lower box tickets go every game? If the team doesn't get them and the students don't get them either than who does? ???

--- Horace Dump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast