twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Falcons in Season 69 of the UAAP

Share/Bookmark

The Falcons in Season 69 of the UAAP

Adamson has been an enigma these past few years in the UAAP. It has consistently been ranked as middle of the pack and there were even times when experts tagged it as the dark horse or even a championship spoiler. The Falcons, however, have repeatedly underachieved, leaving observers dumbfounded. The last minute disqualification of players, Alonzo last season and now Capati, as well as the parade of head coaches have obviously not helped. The pre-season questions about their main man, Ken Bono, and Coach Leo Austria will be answered as the games are played and the storyline promises to be as interesting as a Korean telenovela.

Re: The Falcons in Season 69 of the UAAP

I arrived late in the first half of the UE game, just in time to see the Falcons trim a 10-point first quarter deficit to 5 points, 31-26, going into the break.* Adamson seemed to be playing well as a team up to that point with a number of players contributing well.* That all changed in the third quarter when the Warriors dropped a 26-point bomb to take full control of tha game behind their guard-centered plays.* Watching the defense of Falcons Yong and Pacheco reminded me of the term used by an NBA commentator, "parachuters' club."* They'd bite at almost every fake, making it too easy for Warriors Custodio and Arellano to get closer to the basket for higher percentage shots.* UE raced to a double-digit lead after halftime and was never threatened.* Had Ken Bono not carried the fight for the Falcons in the second half, it would have been much worse than the final score of 62-50.

The frontline of the Falcons held their own, with Bono and Hugnatan frequently getting their way inside the paint.* It was the guards and the wingmen that let them down: Poloyapoy did not assert himself offensively; Canuday did make the lone trey of the team out of their 14 attempts, but failed to take charge when he was on the court; Agustin was frustrated and turnover prone; and, Cabahug shot a sorry 1 of 9 from the field.

I was pleasantly surprised with Bono.* There were pre-season talk about how out of shape he was and how there was a chance that he wouldn't even be included in the line-up.* He played almost all, save for the dying seconds, of the second half, for a total of 30 minutes.* He had game-highs of 18 points and 4 offensive rebounds and team-highs of 3 assists and 2 blocks.* I do not know if it was the lighting at the Big Dome or the cut, color and pattern of their uniform, but he actually looked thinner than last season.* Notice has been served: It's Bono's team, period.

I was a bit disappointed with the coaching staff.* I am not familiar with Coach Austria's system yet but there appeared to be minimal intervention when it was evidently needed.* The adjustments at both ends seemed too little and too late.* I think this is only the second tournament of Adamson with Austria at the helm, the first one being the FMC Summer League, so there is definitely room for improvement.

I was amused by my seatmate's remark during as the Warriors were making their 3rd quarter run, "Derrick has been coaching UE for quite a while now so he's already refined the system."* I tried to correct him by saying that Dindo Pumaren was UE's coach, to which he answered, pointing to the UE bench, "Do you really believe that Dindo is the head coach?"* I looked over and beside Dindo was an assistant who, for the rest of the game, sat uncomfortably sideways to better relay Derrick's instructions to Dindo from the patron seats.

UE 62:* Borboran 14, Arellano 12, Custodio 11, Espiritu 7, Martinez 6, Thiele 4, Gregorio 4, Bandaying 2, Canizares 2, Llagas 0, Labagala 0.
    ADU 50:* Bono 18, Hugnatan 12, Canuday 6, Pacheco 5, Agustin 5, Cabahug 4, Santos 0, Yong 0, Poloyapoy 0, Basilio 0.

Quarter scores:* 22-12, 31-26, 57-43, 62-50

tingin ko kulang pa sa urgency yung adamson falcons. yes, i agree that they look lost at times, but whether it's due to their inability to execute the new system or their old habit of "bahala na, may mga games pang pwede tayong bumawi" is open for my own self-debate.

UE unleashed a balanced attack with mark borboran, marcy, and bonbon showing the way. along the way, the big three's scoring output was supported by a total of 25 points scattered by espiritu and co., and one wonders how the game outcome would have gone if the falcons limited the warriors' supporting cast.

marami pang pwedeng gawin ang adamson to get back into the thick of things, but if they can get more people involved in the scoring drive the way UE did, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

I think Adamson will get better as the season progresses. They could probably start with the benching of Poloyapoy until the next FMC. Pacheco should be given more playing time. Cabahug must learn to play with 5 players instead of 2 where the other one is his "tiga labas". Marc Agustin will be many times better if he only cared.

These Falcons need a wakeup call. How can a team this deep and this talented underacheive in this manner the past three or four years? Ken Bono, in spite of the fan jokes, is perhaps the best true center in the UAAP. Jomar Canuday and Pat Cabahug have the handles to run a team. Mark Agustin is a talented athlete. Rommel Hugnatan is a serviceable 4/5. Jun Yong and Mike Pacheco are great slashers and shooters. They have a consummate professional for a coach. So what the heck is going on with this team?

Quote Originally Posted by fraternizer
    I was amused by my seatmate's remark during as the Warriors were making their 3rd quarter run, "Derrick has been coaching UE for quite a while now so he's already refined the system."* I tried to correct him by saying that Dindo Pumaren was UE's coach, to which he answered, pointing to the UE bench, "Do you really believe that Dindo is the head coach?"* I looked over and beside Dindo was an assistant who, for the rest of the game, sat uncomfortably sideways to better relay Derrick's instructions to Dindo from the patron seats.
    OT - I think the fact that in the NAS the lower box seats are farther from the bench contributed to the loss of UE.

Back to the topic.* Those who saw Adamson play during the FMC Summer League are not really surprised by the Falcons' recent wins.* They were bracketed with the likes of FEU (Team A), Arellano, San Sebastian and Ateneo (Team B) and were very competitive despite an incomplete roster.* I agree with some observers that Adamson will probably slug it out with FEU for the last slot in the Final Four.

There is no denying that Bono is, to quote other posters, big-boned or body fat enhanced that is why he is such an easy target for ridicule.* His game, however, is all the comeback he needs.* Aside from putting up beefy numbers (sorry, couldn't resist), he has shown leadership and is proving to be a legit big time player, making pivotal plays when needed.* The system of Austria is finally showing positive results and I think this is just the start.

I will stand outside. If anybody asks, I'm OUTSTANDING.

Quote Originally Posted by arhtmahn

There is no denying that Bono is, to quote other posters, big-boned or body fat enhanced that is why he is such an easy target for ridicule.* His game, however, is all the comeback he needs.* Aside from putting up beefy numbers (sorry, couldn't resist), he has shown leadership and is proving to be a legit big time player, making pivotal plays when needed.* The system of Austria is finally showing positive results and I think this is just the start.

Art,

It's a given. he's got game. It's his conditioning that causes ridicule. He could be sooooo much better than what he is now.

Several months ago, we contemplated here in this forum what Bono's numbers would be like if he would reduce weight. We surmised that his improvement would be inversely proportional to the weight he would lose. That may be too much, but assuming he would lose 30 excess pounds, Adamson would have a monster playing for them in the UAAP.

But will we ever know?
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

he's already impressive as it is. pero tama si monL, if he were able to lose at least 20 lbs of excess weight and be as strong in the 4th quarter as in the first, i bet adamson would be the league's unbeaten team at this stage in the tournament, not ateneo.
    Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.

Looks like the Falcons continue to have problems with Ateneo. JC Intal lifted Ateneo to a one-point nailbiter of a win over the Falcons in today's game.

What are the scenarios for Adamson to make the Final 4 now?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast