twitterfacebookgoogle+register
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Burtscher transfer

Share/Bookmark

Mike Burtscher transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Out_Of_The_Blue
    Hey Bibby, maybe you can provide us with the game skeds of DLSU - which leagues the team is planning to join and their final line-ups. Maybe you could start a new thread about this. Heard that they are joining the next conference of the FMC. Heard also that you have new recruits from NCAA schools. This sure is the perfect time to beef up the team and prepare for next year's UAAP.
    Can we expect a press release anytime soon?

Mike Burtscher transfer

^There should be. DLSU should be proud of their latest acquisition.

Mike Burtscher transfer

Stealing: A Unique Solution to a Common Problem
    by Dianne Yee

I met a woman who had a foster FAS daughter (age 16). The daughter stole all the time, from everyone in the household. She took CDs from her sibs, costume jewelry from her mom, cash from everyone. The family would discuss "Who Could Have Stolen XYZ" at dinnertime regularly. Everyone knew the 16-year-old was the culprit, but no one wanted to accuse her. Instead, they hoped she'd learn from these family discussions that stealing was wrong and that it hurt the victim.

But she didn't learn and the stealing went on...driving everyone crazy.

Finally, the mom had enough. She took the girl aside and, despite the girl's adament denials of stealing, she told her she *knew* she'd been the one doing the stealing. She told her that if anything further was missing from anyone, she (the 16-year-old) was going to find something of hers missing.

Sure enough, the mom soon discovered her favorite earrings missing. She said nothing, but when the daughter went to school, the mom took her favorite dress, wrapped it in a brown garbage bag, and hid it in the outdoor garbage can.

Within a day, the daughter noticed her dress was missing and she set up a big commotion about it, "Who would take my dress! That was my favorite dress. I worked to earn the money for it. Where could it be? Who would go into my room like that?" Yada, yada, yada.

The mother simply said to her, "It must have gone to where all those other things we're all missing have gone to."

The daughter stopped stealing.

--Dianne Yee

Mike Burtscher transfer

HELP FILE
    Stealing

Stealing is unacceptable in a school or classroom and the behaviour requires zero tolerance as it infringes the right of pupils and staff to feel safe.

Children steal for a reason and you need to uncover this to be able to take corrective action. The commonest causes are listed below.

To fulfil a need for attention, - usually only inconsequential things are taken. However I remember one girl who was praised greatly at home for finding her father’s lost pocket-knife. This child was expected to do most of the housework and never received any praise or thanks. She unconsciously associated “missing” items with praise and subsequently developed compulsive stealing at school.

Envy and jealousy: In my experience these are fairly common causes of stealing at school. The behaviour is often caused by seeing someone flaunting some highly desired item. A key feature and indicator of this reason for stealing is that the stolen item is often found quite quickly, and sometimes found damaged or even completely broken.

There may be a need to make others angry or a need for revenge. Feelings of powerlessness drive this passive-aggressive stealing behaviour.

The need for peer acceptance – i.e., to impress peers.

Occasionally they will just steal just because they want it, or they don’t have one and it makes them feel better to hold /have it. (And the opportunity was there).

The reasons behind the stealing of money are legion. I remember one little girl who stole money at school to be able to buy sweets to give-out, so that she would be popular, which would make her parents proud of her.

It must be remembered that the action of stealing can be daring, exciting and it can give them a buzz – it can meet a need for excitement. This must be re-directed.

Sometimes a child will steal because they believe that, “It’s okay to steal if I don’t get caught”. Something they have learned from those around them.

The reasons are many and varied and these must be revealed and understood in order to stop on-going stealing. However, the message that must be clearly given and heard, that there is zero tolerance for stealing.

SCHOOL ETHOS
    Establish a POSITIVE ethos in the school. Statement by children, teachers, all school members … “We are a safe school, we respect people and their belongings and nobody takes what is not theirs in our school.” Implying pride in themselves and their school.

This is put into action by establishing a process for things left around, so taking them is not a consideration – rather finding un-owned property requires that a person either give it to a teacher or take it to the lost property box/room.

PREVENTION
    RULES: Set ground rules in the school and the classroom about taking, borrowing, damaging others property – individuals and the school community.

FOLLOW THROUGH: Consequent Action must be established along with the rules requiring that children/students return/replace goods, materials etc. plus they are required to do something additional to make amends to that person or the community.

CLASSROOM DISCUSSION: Can be a valuable process for students to consider the implications of stealing, taking, or damaging others’ property – individual or community, and best given through case studies. e.g. Peter found some money on the school ground and popped it into his pocket. Lizzie wanted a pretty scarf she saw everyone admiring on the new girl. She stole one from the shop. They discuss such issues and then state what they have learned from their discussions.

FOLLOW THROUGH WITH CULPRIT
    REPARATION – putting right what they have done wrong, plus being required to do something additional for the person to show / make up for their misdeed.

COUNSELLING: In order to prevent the stealing continuing, the perpetrator needs to face the possible reasons for their misbehaviour.

A teacher is able to counsel a student if they enable a child to see what is behind their stealing – but that is only the first part. They need to enable to the child to find another way through acceptable behaviour to achieve that “feeling”, “acceptance” or to teach them the skills to communicate , assert themselves, so they feel better about themselves.

Try...

"Could it be that you want ……?"

"Everyone admires you/ looks up to you/are wary of you / respect you, when you……"

"Is it that people take notice of you only when you ……?"

"Maybe you are angry because ……"

THIS must be followed up with leading the child/student to find for themselves other ways of achieving what they want – e.g. What could you do that would make your teacher, parents etc., notice you and for you to feel proud of your actions, words? Or there may need a family discussion or conference.

AGREEMENT: Either verbal or written to undertake behaviour change. With follow up so the child has ongoing support to achieve the change and to be encouraged and acknowledged for the positive actions they take.

For stealing to stop there must a clear message of zero tolerance for the behaviour. There must be clear rules and consequent actions that are fully understood by all and always held to, so that each child learns to take responsibility for their actions and put right the wrong. There must also be correct counselling to enable the child to meet their needs through positive actions that respect the rights of others.

WHEN THE CULPRIT IS NOT CAUGHT
    There are times when people do not own up and it is difficult to discover who the culprit is. In such cases: confront the group / your class with,

The problem - e.g. we have a problem in our class. Money and small articles – state what items are going missing. State that this is not acceptable, “We have always believed in everyone’s right to feel safe in this class and that includes people’s belongings.”

I am angry and upset (whatever you feel), that someone is breaking our trust in each other and some children are upset and hurt and a couple of children had no bus money to get home. This is an unkind act.

I would like your ideas on what we should do about this and how we can stop this happening? (Take everyone’s ideas and write them up for all to see).

Which of these ideas do you think will work? Let’s just cross off those that wouldn’t really work. (You allow them to decide – you also have a say).

Right we agree, we will do …………………

Okay everyone we will meet again in ……days, at the end of the week and see how well we have gone.

Jenny Mackay

Mike Burtscher transfer

The reported recruit is free to choose and decide on his own. No "stealing" there. And I never thought San Beda could actually own a person.

Lion, I suggest you go nuts over this somewhere else. And don't forget to give our regards to Mike Galinato.

Mike Burtscher transfer

Sure. I will tell him that the green nuts are missing him.

Mike Burtscher transfer

Freedom of choice or persuasion by concession, which is more likely?

Be that as it may, i would always hold on to the principle that there are things that money cant buy.

Mike Galinato was cut by DLSU for academic reasons while Mike B. is in our line up when DLSU made an offer that is just to tempting to pass. Mike is doing well in academics and in practices, he embraced the Benedictine lifestyle which is ora et labora, and we can see him get a Bedan diploma. For now he is currently in Cebu, i will tell him that you said Hi!
    P.S.
    If Mike B. finally decides to stay at DLSU, i hope that your school could instill in him the value of education so that he can get his diploma and halt a grand slam tradition of DLSU athletes not finishing school.

Mike Burtscher transfer

Eto na nga ba sinasabi ko eh. I just posted this at Archerpride.com (the case of never-ending parinigan and accusations of "agawan-recruit" etc) and MonL posted that may blessing ito ni coach Koy. The news is that Mike Burtscher is planning to transfer to La Salle. I can't confirm it kung totoo nga ito or hindi since nakita ko lang ang balita sa archerpride.com this morning.

If this thread goes out of control at mauwi lang sa bashing ng San Beda't La Salle, I'll close this thread so itigil nyo na ito dito pa lang.

One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Mike Burtscher transfer

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreeze_bibby
    Eto na nga ba sinasabi ko eh. I just posted this at Archerpride.com (the case of never-ending parinigan and accusations of "agawan-recruit" etc)* and MonL posted that may blessing ito ni coach Koy. The news is that Mike Burtscher is planning to transfer to La Salle. I can't confirm it kung totoo nga ito or hindi since nakita ko lang ang balita sa archerpride.com this morning.

If this thread goes out of control at mauwi lang sa bashing ng San Beda't La Salle, I'll close this thread so itigil nyo na ito dito pa lang.

Bib,

Just to set it straight, my words there was that Koy gave him absolute freedom to decide. That's a whole lot of difference between telling him to choose where to go and telling him to go there with your blessing.

As of now the kid's still undecided as far as I know, and he's been given time to think about his options. That's as far as I will go in this forum for now.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Mike Burtscher transfer

Let's just wish him the best kung saan man siya mapunta. Ayoko lang makita na magiging bashing thread ito. You know guys what I am trying to say na mauwi na naman ito sa ungkatan ng mga previous recruits who played for respective schools. Thanks for clarifying your idea. I just stated what I understood from your post.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast