twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite DLSU basketball game moments/events

Share/Bookmark

Favorite DLSU basketball game moments/events

I think I have to start by sharing that my favorite basketball moment for DLSU was when Aldeguer made that trey in the closing seconds of their game 3 championship game back in 1999. UST gallery was already making a countdown expecting that they would win the championship (I had to say that UST played good defensively in that sequence since Aldeguer's shot was also challenged) until Dino made that trey which created a pandemonium inside Cuneta Astrodome.

It would have been better if Dino was able to connect the bonus free throw since it was a four point play but unfortunately he missed the attempt. Dino fouled out in the OT, but Renren and Don Allado were just simply unstoppable in the extra session lifting up DLSU's 2nd of 4th string of championships during the late 90's and exorcising the ghost of the bridesmaid finishes against UST in the mid-90's.

One more thing, I accidentally punched a guy while celebrating inside Cuneta since we were situated in the bleachers section hehe. When I lifted up my fist, I accidentally hit the eyeglass of the guy beside me creating a wound in between his eyes. Buti na lang and DLSU fan din siya because I don't know what would happen if I hit a UST fan during that moment.

I've shared mine, hope the others will follow and share their favorite game winning and unforgettable DLSU basketball moment.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Re: Favorite DLSU basketball game moments/events

^ One of my worst moments, actually. If only Gilbert LaO hit both his free throws then that trey would have been moot.

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter
    ^ One of my worst moments, actually. If only Gilbert LaO hit both his free throws then that trey would have been moot.
    That was the reason why we love Gilbert LaO hehe. I can't recall how many free throws he missed in that crucial 4th quarter stretch. UST went even by 10 midway 4th quarter via Derrick Hubalde's trey.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

That Aldeguer shot was great, my die-hard La Salliian wife who had just had a C-section almost jumped out of her bed at Cardinal Santos. This is matched by JV Casios trey against FEU.

I may be an Atenean but I appreciate great clutch plays.

^ Ako din I appreciate clutch plays. But not against my team :D.

So bilang ganti... my favorite La Salle moment is the Henry Ong shot and the ____ (can't recall the player) miss. :D

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter
    ^ Ako din I appreciate clutch plays. But not against my team :D.

So bilang ganti... my favorite La Salle moment is the Henry Ong shot and the ____ (can't recall the player) miss. :D
    I believe you're talking about the Lago miss. ;D
    ANIMO LA SALLE !!!

^ Mark Telan's easy follow up attempt off that Lago miss went kaput as well. Aray!

gaya ni bigfreeze, my favorite la salle basketball moment was the time dino aldeguer scored that three pointer that put the game vs UST in overtime. i was out in dencio's watching the game with my friend, a zobelian like aldeguer, and when the ball swished through the hoop, the whole place erupted. didn't know i was surrounded by a bunch of la salle diehards they're a great crowd, though.
    what do you call cheese that isn't yours? NACHO CHEESE

Well since the 1999 thing has been mentioned, The 1997 ousting of UST in the final 4 was also a great moment for LaSalle basketball in the UAAP.

LaSalle lost their last game in the elims to, ironically, UST by 12 points which negated them to the 3rd spot and a twice to win disadvantage. Had LaSalle lost by "only" 7 points or less, LaSalle would have gotten the 2nd spot and a twice to beat advantage. FEU was the #1 seed that year.

LaSalle played with fire in the first game with Mark Telan unloading 30 points to lead the Archers to a 10 point win. The second game was a classic. Telan was held to only 7 points but he played decoy the whole game. LaSalle was trailing by 7 points with 2 minutes and 33 seconds to go in regulation when Don Allado completed a 3 point play. Some more plays ensued and with about a few seconds to go, and LaSalle down by 2 points, Dino Aldeguer drove the length of the court and dished to Mark Telan for the bank shot as the buzzer sounded. Overtime!

LaSalle held on in overtime with Dino Aldeguer anchoring the LaSalle offense. The impossible was done. The 4 time champions had been dethroned.

Since then, UST has never won a playoff series against LaSalle.

Back to 1997 din, I remember there was one game wherein we faced NU and we were having a hard time beating them during that game (kung hindi ako nagkakamali it was in Ninoy Aquino Stadium). Renren made that spectacular in your face layup against 2 time PBA MVP Danny Ildefonso. I never thought that Renren could make that attempt since I knew that the towering Danny I. was there to block the shot and La Salle won the game in regulation via that buzzer beater shot of Renren.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast