twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball on the Silver Screen

Share/Bookmark

Basketball on the Silver Screen

(Inspired by Glory Road, which allblue and I watched yesterday ;D)

While waiting for the next game or the start of the next tournament, a hardcore hoops junkie will probably take their basketball in any way he/she can get it, and that includes movies.

So, this thread is for the discussion of your favorite (or least favorite) basketball movies, past and present. Why do you like/hate that movie? What did you think of the actors, the plot, the basketball scenes? Any quotable quotes? Share them here!

EDITED TO ADD: Just to start things off, I want to ask about the movie Hoosiers. It's almost always mentioned when people talk about basketball movies, but I have to admit that I haven't seen it yet. What's so good about it?
    Not only for political reasons, but from conscience and honor, I will not consent to part with much in Silesia. No sooner is one enemy satisfied than another starts up; another, and then another must be appeased, and all at my expense. - Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress

No need to seize the last word, Lord Baelish. I'll assume it was something clever. - Sansa Stark, Game of Thrones > Season 7 > Episode 1

Re: Basketball on the Silver Screen

Quote Originally Posted by 5FootCarrot

While waiting for the next game or the start of the next tournament, a hardcore hoops junkie will probably take their basketball in any way he/she can get it, and that includes movies.

So, this thread is for the discussion of your favorite (or least favorite) basketball movies, past and present. Why do you like/hate that movie? What did you think of the actors, the plot, the basketball scenes? Any quotable quotes? Share them here!

EDITED TO ADD: Just to start things off, I want to ask about the movie Hoosiers. It's almost always mentioned when people talk about basketball movies, but I have to admit that I haven't seen it yet. What's so good about it?
    The earliest basketball movie I watched was One-On-One starring Robby Benson, a 5-10 actor with probably enough skills to play spot duty in the NBA at that time...it's a story about a high school basketball phenom named Henry Steele who was recruited for the Western University Huskies varsity, given perks like a car, a "job" in the school to earn an allowance(watering the school grounds, though the sprinkler system is automatic, if you catch my drift). His showboating earned the ire of his coach, who even recruited a hood to beat Henry up in a "scrimmage" to force him to give up his scholarship. He was banished to the bench for much of the season, playing garbage time minutes. With the help of his student-tutor/girlfriend later on(mush!), he became a student athlete who studied well enough, bided his time and found redemption in the final game when he made the crucial plays for his team to win and sweep the season. A feel good movie about fighting back for what you believe in, with a little mush on the side. What I found a little unbelieveble at that time was the scene where exams were in conflict with Henry's basketball practice, and thus somebody else took his exam in his place. Di na nag-aral yung bata, puro laro lang ang nasa isip. Ghosts of the past haunting us today? Fact stranger than fiction?
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by 5FootCarrot

The movie was loosely based on the true to life story of a basketball team from Milan, Indiana. *It also depicts David against Goliath.

Milan is a small farming town in Indiana. *The towns basketball team did the unthinkable sometime in the late 50's when their team made it all the way to the Indiana high school state finals. *During that time, all Indiana schools played a knockout step ladder series to qualify for the State championship starting with the district tournament regardless of school size. *This format favors the big city schools hence the comparison to David and Goliath. *It was also the first time that an undersized all white team reached the finals and actually beat the bigger school. *

The show emphasized how the game was played during that period. *Below the rim and premium on the fundamentals. *They featured how to win games using the pick and roll, down screen for the shooters and the forerunner of todays motion offense in the weave.

My favorite basketball movie featured Gabe Kaplan as a NYC gym rat who accepts a coaching position from a small, family run institution whose main goal was to beat State U. *Kaplan imported 3-4 players from the playgrounds and "Y" of NY including a girl. *Bernard King of the Knicks played a guy who had no high school credentials except his skills in basketball but was accepted to college despite spurious credentials and needed a lot of remedial help to survive his course work. *The star point guard was a played by Mike Warren of UCLA fame and Hill Street Blues as a born again preacher after being a chick boy. *Trust me, I am not referring to a certain school who may be facing suspension for accepting players who bought their credentials in Recto. *Bwahahahaha! * :P

about hoosiers, this is what i recall:

the movie starred gene hackman as basketball coach norman dale in a small rural indiana high school in what could be his last shot at the state title. he got fired from his last coaching job allegedly for hitting one of his own players. (corrections are highly welcome, though.)

he faced tremendous odds at the beginning, having replaced a popular coach who just passed away and burdened with the task of convincing the team's best player, jimmy chitwood, to return to action. kung di ako nagkakamali, this player quit because he doesn't want to play for the new coach. typical hollywood twist to create conflict and spice up the story line :D

what made him even more unpopular was the heavy-handed way he ran his practices. hmmm, another storyline conflict. however, he was able to solicit the support of a local hoop legend and present town drunk to be his assistant coach. i forgot his name, but his character was played by dennis hopper, and he was great in that role. eventually the town drunk cleaned up his act and became more involved in the affairs of the team.

in time the team, under the new coach, *began racking up the wins in dramatic fashion. in their semis victory, the winning baskets were scored by the towel boy via two free throws thrown "arinola"-style. in the climatic state finals, the last second play, which they called the "picket fence" play, was diagrammed by gene hackman for jimmy chitwood, who confidently replied "i'll make it." so hayun, na-shoot, panalo ang team, and gene hackman was nominated for two oscars for his riveting performance.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

I'm sure Pido could use the same lines with the Tigers: "I've seen you guys can shoot but there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

Basketball Diaries.Semi-Indie film. about a decade ago or so, during or after Leo's Gilbert Grape film days. it stars DiCaprio. H.S. basketball superstars, all of them friends and play for the same school. Ultra gifted as cagers. But they seem not to care about the opportunity, they rather spend their time together partying, booze binge, music and experiment with drugs. Tragic.

Blue Chips is a story about a coach of a fictional university played by Nick Nolte who, pressured to come up with a winning season, recruits three core players led by and portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Their recruitment comes at a steep price, with Nolte’s character, Coach Bell, finally turning a blind eye to violations committed by alumni (purchasing a house, a tractor for the players’ relatives and giving large sums of money) in order to get the three players on board. After winning their first game of the season, Bell’s conscience breaks, and spills all before the media.

“Blue Chips” is a dark look at amateur sports, the opposite of Hoosiers, which is a feel-good movie about digging deep within yourself and overcoming adversity.* Basketball is a secondary topic here… The story focuses more on the conflicts surrounding winning at any cost. At what cost will you win? Are you prepared to pay the price? Will you be able to live with yourself? I would understand a coach’s plight of trying to pull together a winning season due to immense pressure from the academic institution and alumni. A lot is at stake. Among them monetary considerations and institutional prestige.

"You took the purest thing in your life and corrupted it, for what? For what?"

For some, there’s no substitute for victory/glory. What price glory?

Quote Originally Posted by MonL
    Blue Chips is a story about a coach of a fictional university played by Nick Nolte who, pressured to come up with a winning season, recruits three core players portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Their recruitment comes at a steep price, with Nolte’s character, Coach Bell, finally turning a blind eye to violations committed by alumni (purchasing a house, a tractor for the players’ relatives and giving large sums of money) in order to get the three players on board. After winning their first game of the season, Bell’s conscience breaks, and spills all before the media.

“Blue Chips” is a dark look at amateur sports, the opposite of Hoosiers, which is a feel-good movie about digging deep within yourself and overcoming adversity.* Basketball is a secondary topic here… The story focuses more on the conflicts surrounding winning at any cost. At what cost will you win? Are you prepared to pay the price? Will you be able to live with yourself? I would understand a coach’s plight of trying to pull together a winning season due to immense pressure from the academic institution and alumni. A lot is at stake. Among them monetary considerations and institutional prestige.

"You took the purest thing in your life and corrupted it, for what? For what?"

For some, there’s no substitute for victory/glory. What price glory?
    In Lombardi's words "winning is not everything, it's the only thing"

Hoosiers.

"This story is loosely based on a real event in 1954, when a team from a tiny high school in the farmlands of Indiana rose against all odds to win the state basketball championship.

"In 1954, tiny Milan, with a sharpshooter named Bobby Plump, dominated much larger schools on their way to a 28-2 record and the Indiana state finals. Among their victims was Oscar Robertson's high school team (Crispus Attucks High School in Indianapolis). In the finals, they shocked everyone when they squeaked past powerhouse Muncie Central for the Indiana state crown on Plump's last-second shot. It was considered one of the greatest basketball games ever played, and has attained a legendary status. In September 1999, Sports Illustrated named this team one of the top 20 teams of the century. The sports writers of Indiana named the "Milan Miracle" the #1 sports story in Indiana history."
    "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONSHIP!"

I am tempted to post Regal Films' movies starring our local stars, but I wouldn't want anyone to choke on their lunch..... you are my friends. Mamaya na lang....;D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast