twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongest La Salle Seniors Team Ever!

Share/Bookmark

Strongest La Salle Seniors Team Ever!

The first two DLSU champion teams in the UAAP (1989 and 1990) and the 1991 Green Archer squad (who won the championship on the hardcourt) featured arguably the strongest teams La Salle has ever produced.

Here are the lineups as shared by rektikano in one of the threads in ap.com.

1989 DLSU champion team :

4- Richard Del Rosario 6'4" c/pf
    5- Eddie Viaplana 6'2" sf
    6- Johnedel Cardel 6'0" og/sf
    7- Rafa Dinglasan 6'0" og/sf
    8- Teddy Monasterio 6'1" pg
    9- Jun Limpot 6'6" c
    10- Jonas Mariano 6'0" og
    11- Lincoln Lim 5'11" og/pg
    15- Joey Santamaria 6'3" pf
    16- Gee Abanilla 5'9" pg
    17- Arnel Guste 6'2" pf
    18- Dong Vergiere 5'11" pg
    19- Jun Toral 6'2" sf
    20 - Oliver Bunyi 6'5" c

1990 DLSU champion team:

4- Pons Castelo 6'3" sf
    5- Eddie Viaplana
    6- John Cardel
    7- Rafa Dinglasan
    8- Teddy Monasterio
    9- Jun Limpot
    10- Jonas Mariano
    11- Noli Locsin 6'3" pf
    12- Richard Bachmann 6'5" c
    15- Dwight Lago 6'3" pf/sf
    16- Gee Abanilla
    17- Arnel Guste
    18- Dong Vergiere
    19- Adi Papa 5'9" pg

The 1991 DLSU champion team :

4- Alvin Magpantay 6'2" sf
    5- Oliver Bunyi
    6- Johnedel Cardel
    7- Elmer Lago 6'2" sg
    8- Jason Webb 6'1" sg
    9- Jun Limpot
    10- Jonas Mariano
    11- Noli Locsin
    12- Dickie Bachmann
    15- Dwight Lago
    16- Tonyboy Espinosa 5'7" pg
    17- Arnel Guste
    18- Aljun Garcia 5'11" pg
    19- Adi Papa

Re: Strongest La Salle Seniors Team Ever!

my initial vote goes to all the champion pumaren teams from the dynasty years of 1998-2001 and the 2004 edition. however, as i read through the conmposition of the 1989 to 1991 teams, all i can say is, "not bad, not bad at all." jun limpot was the standout constant in all three. sayang, he wasn't able to parlay his success in college to win championships in the pros.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Matindi yung 1989 team because Manong Derrick had to convert Teddy Monasterio to a point guard from a shooting guard the previous year (198. Walang nakuhang pamalit, I mean able na pamalit to the graduating Dindo Pumaren.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

Quote Originally Posted by shyboy
    The first two DLSU champion teams in the UAAP (1989 and 1990) and the 1991 Green Archer squad (who won the championship on the hardcourt) featured arguably the strongest teams La Salle has ever produced.

Here are the lineups as shared by rektikano in one of the threads in ap.com.

1989 DLSU champion team :

4- Richard Del Rosario 6'4" c/pf
    5- Eddie Viaplana 6'2" sf
    6- Johnedel Cardel 6'0" og/sf
    7- Rafa Dinglasan 6'0" og/sf
    8- Teddy Monasterio 6'1" pg
    9- Jun Limpot 6'6" c
    10- Jonas Mariano 6'0" og
    11- Lincoln Lim 5'11" og/pg
    15- Joey Santamaria 6'3" pf
    16- Gee Abanilla 5'9" pg
    17- Arnel Guste 6'2" pf
    18- Dong Vergiere 5'11" pg
    19- Jun Toral 6'2" sf
    20 - Oliver Bunyi 6'5" c

1990 DLSU champion team:

4- Pons Castelo 6'3" sf
    5- Eddie Viaplana
    6- John Cardel
    7- Rafa Dinglasan
    8- Teddy Monasterio
    9- Jun Limpot
    10- Jonas Mariano
    11- Noli Locsin 6'3" pf
    12- Richard Bachmann 6'5" c
    15- Dwight Lago 6'3" pf/sf
    16- Gee Abanilla
    17- Arnel Guste
    18- Dong Vergiere
    19- Adi Papa 5'9" pg

The 1991 DLSU champion team :

4- Alvin Magpantay 6'2" sf
    5- Oliver Bunyi
    6- Johnedel Cardel
    7- Elmer Lago 6'2" sg
    8- Jason Webb 6'1" sg
    9- Jun Limpot
    10- Jonas Mariano
    11- Noli Locsin
    12- Dickie Bachmann
    15- Dwight Lago
    16- Tonyboy Espinosa 5'7" pg
    17- Arnel Guste
    18- Aljun Garcia 5'11" pg
    19- Adi Papa

Jun Limpot?!? Db nde pa nakatikim ng Champion yan?!? Am i ryt?!?

^ Nakatikim na sya sa lahat ng levels except sa PBA

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter
    ^ Nakatikim na sya sa lahat ng levels except sa PBA
    OIC!!! Tnx 4 the info!!!

the 1994 la salle team, was as good and as complete a team anyone could ever assemble. during the preseason, they were expected to replicate what ust did the year before - sweep the elims. they were not able to sweep, and had the misfortune of losing to the defending champions in the finals - which would sadly become a familiar ending for all the telan-led teams in the 90s.
    "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONSHIP!"

^^^

The 1994 LaSalle team was strong but lacked ceiling. The starting center was 6'6" Mark Telan and starting power forward was 6'2" Allen Glenn Patrimonio with 6'3" rookie Maui Roca and 6'2" Juno Sauler coming off the bench to relieve the 2. Furthermore, both Telan and Patrimonio were just sophomores then and as mentioned, Roca, still a rookie although Sauler was a senior already. We also had 1 additional big man in 6'3" Javellosa but he was seldom used.

UST had veterans Dennis Espino and Edmund Reyes that year plus upcoming rookie Richard Yee. Nevertheless, the Archers gave them a good fight and could've won the title if, maybe, Tonyboy Espinosa was around to quarterback. Instead, Jason Webb had to be converted to a point guard in the finals. But it was an opportunity to LaSalle as it allowed coach Virgil to put in LaSalle's best wingmen all at the same time in 6'1" Jason Webb, 6'2" Tyrone Bautista and 6'2" Elmer Lago. But you are correct. This team was one of LaSalle's best.

The Archers suffered 2 losses in the elims that year.The first was against UST in which a ref nullified Patrimonio's free throw that could've won the game saying Allen stepped on the line while taking it. HAHA! Instead the game went into overtime and UST carved out the win. The second loss was inflicted by arch rival Ateneo. Junie Rentosa and Red Camua were so hot in that game as the Archers couldn't get anything right. Good thing the Junior Archers beat the Eaglets in the previous game to ease the loss somehow. hehe...

The Archers ended the elims as the number 1 seed and faced FEU in the final 4. This was the game wherein Tonyboy Espinosa went down with an ACL after Michael Oliver chased him down during a fastbreak play. The game went down the wire. With the score tied and only seconds left, Bryant Punzalan, who was atop the key on the 3 point line made an ill advised center pass to a cutting big man that was intercepted. Tyrone Bautista quickly dashed down court as he received the fastbreak pitched for the twinner and game winner..

UST, on the other hand was just ranked number 3 behind number 2 UE which boasted rookie of the year Bobby Diloy plus big men Mar Morelos and another I forgot, hehe.. UST beat UE twice to advance to the finals. I guess everybody here know what happened in the finals as Elmer Lago missed that game winner for LaSalle.

I'll try to recall the 1994 team:

Alvin Magpantay, Dominique Uy (rookie from LSGH), Chris Javellosa, Elmer Lago, Jason Webb, Maui Roca, DonDon Valerio (rookie from Mapua High), Moss Grau (rookie from LSGH), Aljun Garcia, Juno Sauler, Mark Telan, Allen Glenn Patrimonio, Tonyboy Espinosa, Tyrone Bautista.

Luigi Trillo was injured in 1994. The blue chip recruit was supposed to be NCAA juniors mvp DonDon Valerio. But he got injured that year and never really recovered throughout his playing career. I think he was able to play in the defunct MBA though. One interesting thing to note was a story told to me by DonDon Valerio in those days. He was being recruited by then coach Virgil Villavicencio and in one of the scrimmages of LaSalle, Henry Ong, also a former Red Robin and his batchmate came with him and also wanted to try out for LaSalle. Henry, as DonDon relayed, was ready to don the LaSalle jersey if accepted. But, sad to say, coach Virgil just couldn't accept him as LaSalle was overloaded in the wingmen spot with Webb, Magpantay, Bautista, Lago plus then incoming rookies Grau and Valerio. The rest as they say is history.

Another thing to note was the lack of spots for the Sison brothers, Brandon and Brian, out of LaSalle Zobel that year. The 2 played the shaded area for the junior Archers but were suited more in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreeze_bibby
    Matindi yung 1989 team because Manong Derrick had to convert Teddy Monasterio to a point guard from a shooting guard the previous year (198. Walang nakuhang pamalit, I mean able na pamalit to the graduating Dindo Pumaren.

Teddy Monasterio was a shooting forward in 1988. The starting guards were Dindo Pumaren and rookie Lincoln Lim out of CKSC.

I think the 1988 La Salle Team was just as strong as the 1989 Team. It nearly beat a strong Ateneo team composed of Jun Reyes, Danny Francisco, Alex Araneta, Olsen racela, Eric Reyes, Kenneth Nieto, Canlas, among others. The 1989 line-up were mostly holdovers from the 1988 team. Mr. Rektikano, can you please list the complete line-up of the 1988 team? Thanks!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast