twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Now A Force To Reckon With

Share/Bookmark

Now A Force To Reckon With

THE STI COLLEGE OLYMPIANS: Now A Force to Reckon With
    By Mhel Garrido for Gameface.ph

In Greek mythology, there is a group of elder gods that ruled the earth known as The Titans. The ruler of the Titans was Cronus who was dethroned by his son Zeus. Most of the Titans fought with Cronus against Zeus and were punished by being banished to Tartarus. Zeus was the leader of the group that overthrew the Titans to rule the earth, they are called the Olympians.

Just as it was written in the books, the Olympians overthrew the Titans once again to the tune of a 68 - 64 come from behind win at the start of the 5th NAASCU Men's Basketball Tournament at the Cuneta Astrodome last July 2005. Leading the charges for the team of Zeus was veteran guard Marlon Martin whose consistency at the free throw line earned the Olympians their first win over their arch-rivals, the AMA Computer University Titans. That emphatic win showed the character and demeanor that the Olympians exhibited from the start of the tournament until the end of the elimination round. Coming from an 8th place finish in their maiden year, no one expected the once erratic Olympians would suddenly spring back to life and more so defeat a talented AMA team. Credit the turn around to veteran coach Vic Ycasiano and his hardworking deputies namely Asst. Coach Hubert delos Santos, together with team therapist JM Balboa and statistician Paulo Ycasiano. Their dedication in making sure that the team is well conditioned and at the same time mentally prepared for each battle reaped its dividends when the elimination round ended. The Olympians were led by three players who made it to the NAASCU Mythical 10: shifty point guard Jojo Belano, sharp shooting off guard Dexter Micutuan and the no-nonsense forward Ramon Mabayo. They ended the double round elimination with a card of 11 wins and five losses for third place and the right to meet 2nd Placer ST. Clare College—the only team to beat the eventual five-time NAASCU champion University of Manila. The band of Zeus was not to be denied their place in history as they came back from a six point (51-57) deficit with 2:45 left in the fourth quarter as they hit the Saints with a bolt of lightning with a crippling 13-0 run to barge into the NAASCU finals with a 64-57 hard earned win over a stunned St. Clare College.

That win suddenly put STI College in the basketball map of the Philippines! Fifteen months ago, no one has ever heard of STI as contender much more a team that will give any experienced university or college a run for their money. Unfortunately for them, the system placed by Coach Vic Ycasiano and team management has now come into fruition. The Olympians are looking at the Fr. Martin Cup as a means to hone their basketball skills through games against the country’s finest teams, preparing themselves for the coming 6th NAASCU season. According to top UAAP and NCAA teams like FEU, UST, Ateneo, San Beda, & Letran, its just a matter of time and STI will hit it big in the Philippine basketball scene. The Olympians are hopeful that it can repeat or even do better in the coming NAASCU with the exposure that they are having lately. As a result, the STI brand of basketball has gotten a big boost and management is currently designing a nationwide STI basketball development program through its more than 100 branches nationwide in search of future Olympians.

Here is a team with virtually no big named star that is continuing to make waves in the Philippine basketball scene. Expect more good things and surprises to come because in STI we make things happen.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Re: Now A Force To Reckon With

If STI is serious in building a basketball program they will have a distinct advantage in scouting over big-name schools with their numerous 'campuses' all over the country.

STI is indeed making use of its network of colleges to produce basketball players who we hope will someday represent the Philippines in international competitions. We are just in our second year of our basketball operations and we do hope that by putting up a nationwide basketball program we can hopefully discover future nationals. We know it will take some time, will have some problems etc but that is where the excitement comes.

Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

NOW this is what you call starting from nothing!

When the STI Olympians joined the Fourth NAASCU as an expansion team, Coach Victor O. Ycasiano had a team that was basically a ragtag selection from the school intramurals. Therefore, the end result was not surprising.

After that, he went on a recruiting binge, getting the players he really needed and wanted. This coupled with entering the Olympians in a wide range of inter-school and commercial leagues and the rest as they say is history.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio

We all know that Mhel Garrido was instrumental in getting the STI basketball program rolling and we are all well aware that he is a bit on the dark side (I'm not talking about Star Wars), but I deem it unfair to call him nothing.* Peace, Mhel.* I've seen your team in action.* I believe that you're going in the right direction and that you're all doing a heck of a job given the constraints that you have.* Good luck.

I will stand outside. If anybody asks, I'm OUTSTANDING.

Quote Originally Posted by arhtmahn

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio

We all know that Mhel Garrido was instrumental in getting the STI basketball program rolling and we are all well aware that he is a bit on the dark side (I'm not talking about Star Wars), but I deem it unfair to call him nothing.* Peace, Mhel.* I've seen your team in action.* I beleive that you're going in the right diection and that you're all doing a heck of a job given the constraints that you have.* Good luck.

Abay loko!!! Nayari tuloy ako! hehehe. ;D
    Actually i so excited with the STI team lalo na sa forthcoming Fr. Martin Cup. Hope we do good.

Anthony,
    Sana Coach Vic Ycasiano can now say without batting an eyelash na we can beat UM. Hehehe :D
    Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

hmmmm with all the preparations and entrance of new players, the forthcoming Fr. martin cup and 6th season of the NAASCU is going to be another exciting basketball year for STI College Olympians.
    Arnel

Mhel, is there an AMA - STI rivalry in amateur basketball? Haven't heard hyped before?

Quote Originally Posted by Out_Of_The_Blue
    Mhel, is there an AMA - STI rivalry in amateur basketball? Haven't heard hyped before?
    Yes! Its a rivalry in the works. More of the SSC-Letran rivalry in the NC in the late 80s and early 90s and dating.
    Unfortunately AMA has our number 4-1 in the 5 games that we played over two years. We just hope that our fortunes will change.

The rivalry is slowly gaining ground. Last season we came from 15 points down in the opener to eke out a nail biting win in the season opener. In the second round, we came back from 20 pts at the start of the fourth quarter to forge overtime. Sayang nga coz the last second lay up of our ace point guard Jojo Belano rimmed out. We lost in the second overtime.

For me the young rivalry is slowly gaining ground and if ever STI and AMA meet in the finals, that will definitely hype up the CYBER WARS as we call it.

Abangan...
    Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

mhel, pwede ring War of the (Microsoft) Words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast