twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Off The Court; Hoopsters Away From Hoops

Share/Bookmark

Off The Court; Hoopsters Away From Hoops

There is life away from basketball even for the most hardcore of players.

Jett Nieto - former star of the Ateneo varsity is now a successful medical doctor.

Dominic Uy and Mon Jose - stalwarts of the Lasalle dynasty are now coaches for the Lady Archers

Vince Hizon - former hotshot of Ateneo has become a media celebrity

Jonas Mariano - former RP Youth and Lasalle player became a movie actor for a while

Anyone else who might know what other hoopsters are doing outside of the basketball court?

Re: Off The Court; Hoopsters Away From Hoops

I believe that former Blue Eagle Seph (sp?) Canlas is now a sous chef or something like that.

Maraming player na naging successful din sa ibang larangan.

Ang idol ng bayan si Sonny Jaworski nagin Senador.

Ang kanyang dating kakampi na naging katunggali at muling naging kaibigang si Ramon Fernandez ay isa na ngayong distributor ng San Miguel.

Si Abet Guidaben ay nasa US na yata ngayon pero may naitayong construction supply business dati.

Si Benjie Paras ay isang sikat na komedyante. (Idol daw ito ni Enrico Villanueva)

Si Francis Arnaiz ay isang special consultant for the Governor of California, na si Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Si Jec "The Shot" Chia ay isang executive sa San Miguel Corporation.
    "Kung ayaw mong masaktan mag-chess ka na lang!"

I'm sure na maraming player ang nag-succeed after their basketball retirement. Sports is a good vehicle to promote the inner drive to make it in this world.

Might as well add my batchmates...Peter Martin and Eric Reyes. Both visible in the PBA sportscasters desk.
    For Mary the Queen and Country

Agent 008, I know somebody from your batch who was also a hardcore basketball legend but didn't make the UAAP. His name is Randy Sevilla. Any news about this guy?

hey gil_andrews...

randy is alive and well and is a regular contributor to our batch egroup. he is an upstanding officer of the country's BIR. i'm not sure if he'll join the coming abl league but i hear he is an avid badminton practioner (last i heard this guy was class or even national pool material). haven't seen him since last dec 2004 though...

Agent 008, good to hear that. I remember Randy - all 5'7 of him blazing thru the defnders and making those outside shots over outstretched arms of 3 to 4 inch taller defenders. I also saw him elevate and dunk with two hands.

Matinding basketbolista si Randy Sevilla. Just don't know why he didn't make it to the UAAP.

Hi Gil_Andrews. Yes, magaling talaga si Randy. Lightning fast and buo ang loob. Last time I played against him was at an ABL game about 3 years ago. He's still deadly from mid-range but he doesn't do too many of the slashing as he did in high school where they won 3 straight UAAP titles (or was it 4). If I'm not mistaken, there was a point that Randy was forced to quit for health reasons. Parang he had a similar (but less severe) form of heart problem as Danny Francisco. I think he went to tryout for UP and was a cinch to play if not for the doctor's advice. This is third-hand info from his cousin, but I'd say it's pretty reliable.

Agent 008, you also mentioned Peter Martin. I understand that he also came from Ateneo Grade School. Did he play in the UAAP jrs team? Didn't he play also with the Stags in College?

Bigla na lang yan tumangkad pagdating ng High School and College.

Hi Gil_Andrews...

Peter Martin went to UST for college (pre-med) but moved to another school in the upper years (I guess its SSC). UST is where he started to flourish and grow further in height. He was part of the College of Science basketball team competing in the the inter-college (within UST only) tourneys. I think he was scouted (by SSC) from there.

To answer your other question...No, Peter didn't play in the UAAP juniors. In fact, he was never part of any Ateneo juniors team. But that certainly didn't stop him from reaching for his goals. He is a happily-married family man now too. Another feather in his cap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast