PDA

View Full Version : Knights in NCAA Season 93

bugleboy
07-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Lots of news these days about the Knights -- their being under the radar blah-blah-blah.

From my point of view, we are definite underdogs this year. We'll be hard-pressed to even make it to the Final Four. I'm hoping, though, that StingRey Nambatac's pledge to make his final year a year to remember will come to pass.

Will we shock the world? Sana nga.

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2017/07/02/napa-s-knights-shock-world-28099

bugleboy
07-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Here's Rey's take:

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2017/07/02/captain-nambatac-eyeing-winning-farewell-tour-letran-28098

bugleboy
07-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Bong Quinto shows his loyalty:

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2017/07/02/from-squire-knight-quinto-fighting-blue-red-28096

bugleboy
07-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Who are projected to be on the 2017 Letran Knights team?

From various sources, the following are most likely to be in:

Calvo
Gedaria
Bernabe
Nambatac
Caralipio
Quinto
Balanza
Taladua
Pascual
Vacaro
Ambohot
Balagasay
Pamulaklakin

Two more names are missing to complete the lineup. If I were to choose, I'd put in Pambid (for additional shooting) and De Villa (for additional ceiling).

But then, that's just me. Who knows, maybe Ivan Villanueva has made a good case for himself in the offseason.

bugleboy
07-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Balik-tanaw sa pangako ni Coach Jeff Napa:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/09/22/16/coach-vows-season-93-will-be-different-story-for-letran

ESCALERA JR.
07-04-2017, 10:09 PM
No Muyang, no Barnes, no ralph atangan!...looks like another long season for us. Hope im wrong. Same feeling as 2 seasons ago when we eventually won them all.

Good luck Knights, class of 2017.

bugleboy
07-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Looks like most of my guesses for our 2017 lineup turned out to be right. Nagkamali lang ako kay Pambid, who was relegated to the reserve list. Elevated to Team A was Mandreza.

I share your concern and your guarded optimism, Boss Escalera Jr. St. Vincent Liem de la Paz, pray for us!

Our complete team, along with the rest of the NCAA:

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2017/07/04/ncaa-season-93-men-s-basketball-rosters-28180

Joescoundrel
07-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Mga boss, mawalang galang na, ano nangyari kay Jom Sollano? Naglalaro siya sa PBA D League pero wala na siya sa inyo?

bugleboy
07-06-2017, 10:21 AM
^Graduate na si Jom Sollano from Letran, and he has already served out his eligibility. I think he played three years for University of Southern Philippines, and then stayed three years in Letran (1 year residency + 2 playing years).

bugleboy
07-06-2017, 10:28 AM
More pressing problem now is the Bong Quinto brouhaha. According to a report from spin.ph, he wants out -- allegedly due to differences with the coaching staff. Si Calvo din daw, although this angle is less clear.

For now, there have been no confirmations and I'm hoping against hope that this is just a bum steer from spin.ph. If true, though, I hope that Letran management will exhaust all options in order to persuade Quinto (and Calvo) to stay. Especially for Quinto, who days ago professed both loyalty and gratitude to the school. Now's not the time to quit, Bong, especially since Rey passed off on his chance to turn pro just to have one last ride with you guys.

On the other hand, if he really wants to go, then I suppose the school has no choice.

Right now, we have two guys on the reserve list: Pambid (6'2" swingman) and Jeric Villanueva (6'5"-ish PF/C). Who should we elevate in Quinto's place? Or is it too late to consider Ivan Villanueva?

ESCALERA JR.
07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
what is da meaning of dis!!..besh bugle lol!

bugleboy
07-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Everything's up in the air at the present time. If Quinto (and/or Calvo) don't join the pep rally tomorrow, then alam na this! Malaking problema pag nagkataon.

bugleboy
07-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Since there's no final word yet, let's just entertain ourselves with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hv474o2o6g

bugleboy
07-10-2017, 11:52 AM
It's official. Quinto and Calvo are staying put. Thanks to the people who made this possible: Quinto's parents, Fr. Vic Calvo, and coach Glenn Capacio.

All's well that ends well? For now, yes. However, there are issues that this whole thing brought out that should be addressed:

1. Coach Napa's relationship with the players
2. The continuing influence of Coach Aldin over some members of the team

I guess we cannot take it against Coach Ayo for trying to pirate Quinto and Calvo; it may well be that both of these guys went to him for advice, and it would have been very easy for him to say, "E di dito ka na lang sa akin." Quinto hinted in a video that the offer was considerable; it was only when his parents reminded him that they are not asking him for anything and that loyalty and gratitude are more important that he relented.

So I think the onus lies with Coach Jeff to become closer to his wards, and with Letran management to see if what we are offering to our players is significant enough for them to stay.

I'm a traditionalist, of course, and for me, gratitude and loyalty should come first. But perhaps, that is no longer enough for young people.

bugleboy
07-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Meanwhile, enough with the drama. Let's get it on! Our first game against a depleted Mapua squad should not be taken for granted. Mapua showed in its first game with AU that it is still a significant competitor. New guy Pelayo looks legit, and Victoria seems to be, too. Big men Bunag and Raflores have improved as well, along with Andoy Estrella, who seems less error-prone now.

We didn't win anything last year against our next-door neighbors (Mapua and Lyceum), so now's a good time as any to start.

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Weh...Leading almost the entire game then boom!...a dagger three!

Im not an armchair critic pero sa tingin ko palpak yung defense na ginawa ni coach. Why put Ammbohot, a slow defender on top against a wily Estrella. Kinain lang siya, pinasayaw, tinawanan!

Either Quinto or Balanza sana ang humarap para di na nakaporma. Ayun picture perfect shot by Andoy Estrella. But this guy Estrella has got the moves.

Move on...quick😟

bugleboy
07-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Ganoon lang talaga siguro. Estrella was missing badly from distance earlier, so nobody would have thought that he would launch from that far out. Kung sabagay, tabla-panalo lang iyon e. So no pressure on Estrella's part. Suwerte lang talaga na pumasok.

That comment was not a dig on Mapua, though. They deserved this win as they fought very hard for it. Our boys had the lead for most of the game but just could not hold on to it because of the weak, sporadic defensive stance and our poor rebounding.

Next game is vs. EAC. Again, this is not a team to be trifled with. Laban lang! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
07-14-2017, 07:46 AM
Cant help feeling nega about the loss considering their main man Alwell Oraema is gone atsaka yung makulit na guard si Menina. They were playing all filipino too! Lets see what happens next game vs EAc. 1st gamepa lang naman.

Baste another all filipino squad looks better this year. Good coaching staff w former champion stag Macarayat the helm.

bugleboy
07-20-2017, 10:26 AM
A win is a win, I guess. While I wasn't thrilled that we were down 17 points against EAC in the first quarter, I was glad that the boys managed to fight back and eventually win this one, 83 - 80.

Some other good points:

- The collapsing defense on Laminou was excellent, thus limiting him to just 7 points
- Nambatac is involving more of his team mates now rather than just putting all of the scoring burden on himself; good effort on rebounding and assists, too
- Ambohot is beginning to assert himself also on offense; kudos to Quinto for the feeds near the basket
- Taladua was a steadying presence both on defense and offense; that fightback wouldn't have happened without him
- Balanza has improved his handles, and has rediscovered his slashing abilities.

However, we still need to improve on our propensity to collapse in the endgame. Our boys tend to make silly decisions (long telegraphed outlet passes, three-point slots too early in the shot clock, etc.) that result to turnovers and points on the other end. No wonder even a 9-point lead with minutes to go is still not safe. Perhaps a little more mindfulness is needed? Some meditation exercises to calm them down? Or perhaps just a swift talking-to from the coaching staff?

Still, as I mentioned earlier, a win is a win. Our next opponents, the Jose Rizal U Heavy Bombers (now 1-2), will not be patsies. They are coming from a heartbreaking OT loss and I will not put it past them to try and get a statement win from us. This team is a proud one and has good players in all positions -- not a one-man team by any means.

Laban lang! Arriba!

The_Big_Cat
07-21-2017, 04:40 PM
ex FEU Baby Tam and ex Blazer Fajarito is now a Knight.

bugleboy
07-21-2017, 05:56 PM
^So I heard. Suddenly, the Knights have become the go-to destination of Pinoy big men. In the team at present, we have a bevy of guys 6'4 and up: Ambohot, Balagasay, Vacaro, Pamulaklakin, Pascual and De Villa. In the reserves is Jerick Villanueva, and undergoing residency is Muyang. Fajarito will be going up against these guys for a spot in the team next year. I wonder how he will do.

Meanwhile, the Knights lost to the JRU Heavy Bombers, 65-62. I think we lost this more than JRU won it, as we shot ourselves in the foot with about a ton of turnovers. Parang masyadong gigil o di kaya'y hindi pa sanay sa isa't isa ang mga players natin. Surprising, considering that most of these guys have been playing with each other for at least two years.

Still, there were some good points: we did show some fight in the endgame by forcing turnovers on the Bombers and converting on these. Nambatac was able to drive inside and fish for fouls. But for the most part, our offense was locked in second gear -- terrible percentage from distance -- and we played tentatively almost the entire game. It's a wonder we weren't down by more points at the end. Somebody please remind the boys that we are no longer in the preseason. They ought to be playing with more urgency now, especially in a field as wide open as this one.

I think we out-rebounded JRU in this one, which was a good thing, but we weren't able to convert on most of the opportunities.

Anyway, hopefully, we will learn from this loss and become better. Next game, though, is a real acid test. Let's see if the boys will recover soon enough.

Laban lang! Arriba!

bchoter
07-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Kung hindi dumami ang Ws malamang magka coup d'etat sa Muralla

bugleboy
07-21-2017, 07:47 PM
^AFAIK, may three-year contract yata, so may isang taon pa. Unless, of course, there's a golden parachute clause (which I doubt). :)

bugleboy
07-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Good start by the Knights in the game yesterday vs. San Beda, but our go-to guys ran out of gas in the final quarter. Props to SBC, though. Those successive three-point shots in the third quarter really ate into Letran's 7-point halftime lead and led to the RLs' breakaway. It was only through sheer willpower by Nambatac, Quinto, Calvo and Balanza that the Knights were able to battle back, only to fade out in the end.

Obviously, the rest of the team has to step up. Ambohot had a sub-par outing yesterday, saddled as he was by fouls. Taladua tried, but just could not buy a fieldgoal. The rest, though, looked as nervous as teen virgins in their first soiree.

I'm still hoping that these are still first round jitters, and that eventually, this team will be able to perform.

Laban pa rin! Arriba!

izon
07-26-2017, 09:10 PM
^So I heard. Suddenly, the Knights have become the go-to destination of Pinoy big men. In the team at present, we have a bevy of guys 6'4 and up: Ambohot, Balagasay, Vacaro, Pamulaklakin, Pascual and De Villa. In the reserves is Jerick Villanueva, and undergoing residency is Muyang. Fajarito will be going up against these guys for a spot in the team next year. I wonder how he will do.

Meanwhile, the Knights lost to the JRU Heavy Bombers, 65-62. I think we lost this more than JRU won it, as we shot ourselves in the foot with about a ton of turnovers. Parang masyadong gigil o di kaya'y hindi pa sanay sa isa't isa ang mga players natin. Surprising, considering that most of these guys have been playing with each other for at least two years.

Still, there were some good points: we did show some fight in the endgame by forcing turnovers on the Bombers and converting on these. Nambatac was able to drive inside and fish for fouls. But for the most part, our offense was locked in second gear -- terrible percentage from distance -- and we played tentatively almost the entire game. It's a wonder we weren't down by more points at the end. Somebody please remind the boys that we are no longer in the preseason. They ought to be playing with more urgency now, especially in a field as wide open as this one.

I think we out-rebounded JRU in this one, which was a good thing, but we weren't able to convert on most of the opportunities.

Anyway, hopefully, we will learn from this loss and become better. Next game, though, is a real acid test. Let's see if the boys will recover soon enough.

Laban lang! Arriba!

Not to mention Mark Dyke.

bugleboy
07-27-2017, 11:47 PM
^Sorry, am just a concerned alumnus, not really a team insider. Is this confirmed already?

bugleboy
08-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Knights won over Arellano by outrebounding the top rebounding team in the NCAA. Props to Rey Nambatac, Jeo Ambohot, and Jeremiah Taladua for the monster caroms! Game today is vs. Benilde. Are we looking at our first winning streak of the season? ;)

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/letran-knights-csb-blazers-ncaa-season-93

bugleboy
08-03-2017, 11:50 AM
BTW, there was a Daryl Pascual sighting during the last game vs. Arellano. The guy acquitted himself quite well in his 8 minutes of fame, with 4 points and 5 rebounds. Still a rather soft defender, though. Hope he improves in the coming games.

izon
08-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Sorry, latest news is that Mark Dyke is with the FEU Tamarraws.

ESCALERA JR.
08-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Two consecutive wins last week!...we needed that very badly. Kung natalo pa ng isa yan a lot of alum wiill be asking for napa's head.

We are now in a position to win 3, even 4 which takes the pressure off the coaching staff. Suddenly the letranknights is back in business at 3rd spot.

Lyceum is in a roll. Lets derail the pirates win streak. Gradually other guys are coming out to help Nambatac. Aside from veterans quinto,calvo and balanza, big kid Ambohot is showing some promise. Daryl Pascual compliments Jeo inside and under. Taladua is another revelation.

Others should step up para lumalim pa huhugutin as we enter the 2nd rd.

bugleboy
08-06-2017, 09:15 PM
One game at a time. Next game is vs. the Perpetual Altas, and we'd better win that so we can build on our modest streak. Our main problem here will be containing Eze, who's always been successful scoring against our big men. If we can do that, then we have a more than even chance of scoring that needed win. Dagangon, of late, has not been very effective offensively. But then again, he could use this game as his coming-out party. Ditto for Flash Sadiwa and Pido.

Re the Knights, Daryl Pascual has been performing very well -- at least, offensively. Last game vs. Benilde, the guy scored 12 points and snared 5 rebounds in less than 13 minutes! Question: if he had that within him at that time, why the heck did it take the coaching staff so long to use him in a game? Up to two games ago, we had been using Pamulaklakin and Vacaro as subs for Ambohot and Balagasay, and they had not been half as effective as Pascual has been. Isn't the coach familiar with the abilities of his players yet? Or is it, as Coach Jeff seems to imply, just a matter of motivation and confidence? Sorry, medyo puzzling lang.

Re Lyceum, I wouldn't go so far as to rate the Knights' play of late as even being in the same neighborhood as that of the Pirates'. Those guys are something else. I'm hoping that more of our guys will find their mojo sometime between now and by the time we meet the Pirates, which is at the end of the first round.

Until then, I think it's best to just take things one game at a time.

knightrider
08-07-2017, 09:29 AM
It's nice to see the new players step up now. The game where only the four veterans of Nambatac, Quinto, Balanza and Calvo showed up was one we had a good chance of winning with good bench support. I wonder what happed to Ivan Villanueva. He played in the pre-season game vs ADMU. He seemed overweight, slow, and off his rhythm. He played in the D-league and showed up in some games scoring wise. The team surely could have used him if he was in shape and in the line-up. Anyway, he is still young and if he returns next year, could still play for the Knights for a couple or so more years.

It's nice to see Ambohot becoming a potent force in and around the paint. Coach Kerby Raymundo must be giving him pointers on how to be an effective big man. Sadly, Balagasay who was Jom Sollano's back-up when we won the crown seems to be fading. He needs to be re-energized as his height is an asset.

Kudos to Grand Knight Rey Nambatac for his "encore" performance before the community in the soon to be renovated Letran gym. Watching the game brought back memories. I was shocked to see the retractable backboard still functional after all these decades. I was in kindergarten and that retractable goal and ring was already there. I got a kick every time it went up (like a drawbridge) as the gym then was used as an auditorium for non-sports events. Now they have various air conditioned halls in the new buildings following the construction boom that saw the playground, the old wooden elementary school building replaced by new edifices. How time flies... but the dugong arriba never got diluted.

bugleboy
08-13-2017, 07:58 AM
knightrider, I think Ivan Villanueva is still in Letran, trying to lose weight so he can make the team next year.

Re our bigs, I agree that Ambohot seems to have improved a lot. If only he will be consistent offensively, then he can turn out to be a better, taller version of Jom Sollano. Yun nga lang, he seems to lose confidence when his first few shots don't sink. Re Balagasay, the potential is there; question is, what about the desire? I think this is what the coaches have to get out of him (and which I think Sollano was trying to do last year with him). Quite frankly, I think Pascual has very good upside. He has good hands and appears to be quite a sure shot from short to mid-range. Medyo kulang nga lang sa Letran-style angas defensive stance.

Good win vs. Perps, although we got hypnotized by playing the game at their pace rather than ours. Still, a win is a win. Kudos to Quinto, Nambatac, Balanza, and Calvo for slogging through the miscues and misses, and eventually coming away with the win.

Next stop is SSCR -- a very dangerous opponent that may be starting to peak. They have a very good technical cum motivational coach in Edgar Macaraya, whose roots in San Sebastian run deep. They have lean, sprightly forwards in Bulanadi and Calisaan. And do-it-all guards in Navarro, Costelo, and Ilagan. This team is definitely not a pushover team.

Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
08-13-2017, 08:33 AM
I forgot to mention that in our last win, King Caralipio also played well. His offensive rebounds and pesky defense played a key role in getting this win. If he can just trim down on the gigil, then perhaps he would be able to contribute offensively as well.

ESCALERA JR.
08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
New names have been sprouting on every winning game. Starting w Taladua who exploded for 14pts in a qtr. Then Ambohot's dbl-dbl performance followed next by Daryl Pascual nice showing on consecutive games. Caralipio showed promise on the defensive end despite his single digit score.

Still waiting to come out is de Villa to introduce himself to the letran faithful. Ang laking mama neto to just languish on the bench. He willhave his time hopefully sooner than later.

Our last game w the still undefeated Pirates comes w a bonus....no head coach on their bench. We might just have a chance. Arriba !

bugleboy
08-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Another new name cropped up in last Tuesday's victory over the SSC Stags: Mandreza. Both he and Caralipio took turns in shackling Michael Calisaan, scoring timely baskets and collaring rebounds. Their efforts took some of the pressure off Bong Quinto, which paved the way for that brilliant trey in the fourth quarter.

We got away with playing small ball in the SSC game primarily because the Stags have no dominating center. With the LPU Pirates, however, I don't think we will be able to do that.

Aside from having a fast, mobile center in Mike Nzeusseu (did I spell that right?), the Pirates have speedy, heady players in CJ Perez, the Marcelino twins, Caduyac, Baltazar, and Ayaay. All of these guys, plus the ex-SSC gunner Pretta, constitute quite a formidable core.

Somebody from among our big guys has to fill Jeo Ambohot's shoes quickly, and I don't just mean his 8-point, 8-rebound/game average. Ambohot's main contributions are actually on defense (around 2 blocks per game, not including the ability to alter shots because of his presence). Who would this able replacement be? Pamulaklakin? Pascual? Balagasay? Vacaro? Or will Napa pull out a magic bunot again and work miracles with De Villa? My guess is Pamulaklakin, supported by Pascual and Balagasay. But then, what the heck do I know?!

Can we count on Taladua to have a good game against his former team? He's certainly due for a good performance after that so-so showing against SSC.

All told, tomorrow's game certainly won't be easy, notwithstanding the brave front put up by Coach Jeff. Our key would be limiting the contribution of CJ Perez -- tall order, this. Still, we can take heart in the fact that we have done this before (albeit when he was on a different team).

Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
08-17-2017, 10:43 PM
What's becoming clearer is that we have some pretty good players on this team. Coach Jeff's main strength appears to be in attracting (and spotting) talent. Whether he will be able to harness the talent and mold these guys into a well-performing team is something that still has to be proven. The Quinto-Calvo near-fiasco showed some flaws in his ascendancy over the players, though both players' subsequent change of heart and inspired performance may mean that there have been some improvements in this area.

As for me, I'm happy with the current state of affairs. I think the players are in good spirits, notwithstanding the loss of Jeo Ambohot. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into something like Ateneo's 2004 "Let's-win-it-for-Larry" season. Sana naman hindi maging banderang kapos.

ESCALERA JR.
08-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Stinging loss. Would have been a perfect first rd ending to bring down an undefeated team. Ambohots absence was felt at the last canto.
Our two other big men fouled out in succesion leaving an erratic Balagasay easy prey for bullstrong Nzeusue. Pagkakataon na nung de Villa and Vacarro to shine pero kulang sa angas.

Overall, at third spot going into the next rd is good enough. Coach Napa should find ways to fill the gap left by Ambohot. Daryl Pascual has proven himself to be capable of doing that. Its all up to third yr Balagasay to up his game some more. Kaya naten makipagsabayan asshown with that 17 pt lead...protecting the lead and closing out ang problema.

No bragging rights for now in the Walls of Intramuros having lost to both our neighbors. Natuka ng mga Angry birds ni atoy co...na mutiny ng mga Pirata tayo.

In the meantime, let the boys relax...rejuvenate for the Knights 2nd rd jousts. Laban Letran👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

bugleboy
08-19-2017, 09:09 AM
My biased point of view is that we got the short end of the stick with regard to whistles from the refs. Those disqualifying fouls on Pascual and Mandreza, that technical foul on Nambatac for "flopping" -- these were questionable at the very least. On the other side, however, ni walang tawag doon sa mga Pirata.

Anyway, ganoon lang talaga. We lost in the rebounding battle today, mostly to CJ Perez and JC Marcelino. Nzeusseu wasn't really a factor until the last quarter when we chose to play small ball after Pascual's disqualification.

As much as I am biased, however, I am also an optimist. Para sa akin, ang klaro lang ay hindi tayo magkakaroon ng record na 15-3. Pero puwede pa ang 14-4.

Relax, regroup, practice, learn from the mistakes. Then come back stronger than ever before! Laban lang!

knightrider
08-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Last season, we lost a lot of close games due to end game collapse. This year some degree to maturity and stability prevailed during our four game streak. As for the game against LPU, I would not consider the last five minutes as an end game collapse. As aptly pointed out by bugle, the referees' call and the absence of Ambohot were big factors against us. But the biggest reason for the loss is LPU is one big heck of a strong team with their teamwork and not getting rattled in the end game. Let's do better in the second round to make the finals a battle of Intramuros teams.

bchoter
08-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Bad officiating, IMHO din. Dapat nga 3-pt play yung twisting layup ni Balagasay (?). And that flopping foul call was absurd. Tinawagan na ng offensive foul tapos may pahabol na faking a foul. Ano ba talaga?

bugleboy
08-21-2017, 06:59 AM
^That was Balanza who did the twisting layup, Manong Bchoter. You're right. May contact nga doon sa play, which was why Balanza had to do a twisting circus shot of a layup in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for confirming na medyo malabo ang officiating.

On to the second round!

ESCALERA JR.
09-09-2017, 08:00 AM
How many wins do we need to qualify? Last season we were 9-9 good for 5th place and also in 2014 under coach caloy.

In short we need to have the same number of wins as the first rd. and must not loose to any teams under us...nevermind the top 3 kasi yun naman ang tumalo saten previously. 10 wins is barely making it and might lead to double, triple ties to break. Dikit dikit ang team standings from 3rd to 7th another loss would be very crucial. And with Ambohot in the sidelines for 8 weeks, naloko na!

bugleboy
09-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Yes, I think we need to win at least 10 games in order to make it to the Final Four. This makes every game from this point on crucial, as there are a lot of teams still with a fighting chance to make it. At this point, only MIT (and Benilde?) seems out of it. Ironically, their only win came at our expense.

I feel really bad about that Perps debacle because I thought we had a clear chance to win, especially with that dramatic trey made by Quinto to force OT. But Quinto fouled out, and our other players simply did not have the strength anymore to pull this one out of the fire. Sayang yung career game ni Calvo. For a while there, I thought I was seeing Mark Cruz on the court again!

Kudos to Perps for playing their hearts out, especially Gab Dagangon. He really brought it to us that day, and Nambatac simply wasn't fast enough to guard him. Coach Napa clearly had trouble containing Eze as well, as he rotated all our five centers to guard him with limited success. Of the five, only Vacaro and De Villa were able to do something defensively against Eze. Only Vacaro, however, contributed on the offensive side. This game clearly showed how much we truly need Jeo Ambohot.

We played good defense in spurts and were quite successful particularly in the second quarter. However, we were not able to sustain this throughout the game. That's when we got burned by treys from Ylagan, Hao, and Pido.

Anyway, umpisa pa lang naman ng second round. Hopefully, our frontcourt guys will realize that they really have to step up in Jeo's absence. Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
09-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Must-win game today vs. JRU. Arriba Letran!

bugleboy
09-19-2017, 08:56 AM
The loss against JRU notwithstanding, we still have a clear chance to make it to the Final Four. That is, if the Knights start winning again.

The loss against JRU showed just how important Ambohot is to us. He was our single defensive threat inside the paint, and the single reliable recipient of drop passes. Unfortunately, he is no longer there, so our other frontline men have to take up the cudgels. They have tried, but have not yet been successful.

Coach Jeff has been frantically shuffling his front court, to the point of employing a revolving door substitution pattern. Except for Vacaro, who Napa has allowed to stay for long stretches, the rest of the big guys have been shuffled back and forth like a deck of cards. Hopefully, he should be able to settle on a winning pattern soon. And hopefully, this winning pattern should start today.

Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
09-19-2017, 09:05 AM
However, it would be wrong to pin all the blame on the big men for that JRU loss. There appeared to be no defensive plan to contain JRU gunners like Teodoro, Mendoza, Lasquety and Grospe. It was disheartening to see these guys pick our defenses apart very easily.

Our guys played lackadaisically for the most part. Calvo's turnovers actually fueled the JRU run in the second quarter, and although he almost single-handedly tried to will the Knights back into contention in the fourth quarter, the JRU lead was too big to overcome. Our guys also complained to the referees too much, and expected fouls to be called each time they were blocked -- thereby leading to them being distracted for most of the game.

Can Coach Jeff work on the boys' mental state in order to prepare them for the Arellano game? Abangan...

bugleboy
09-19-2017, 04:02 PM
OT ito, but I just have to give props to EAC. No Laminou, no Juju Bautista, no problem in beating the heavily favored JRU Heavy Bombers. Now the Generals are also in contention for the Final Four.

ESCALERA JR.
09-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Finally a win in the 2nd rd. We need to start another winning streak...at least 4more W to stay at fourth place. We cannot afford to lose sa teams below us or else tiebreakers will complicate things.

Napansin ko lang our big men has not been utilized to the hilt. Palitan lang sina Balagasay and Vacarro. Havent seen Daryl Pascual in themix lately. Sa mga bigs naten alam ko siya ang may tira and meron depensa. Baka LQ sila ni coach珞.

Nice win. Hopefully another one on Fri.Arriba!

bugleboy
09-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Good win over Mapua last Friday, although it would have been better if more people contributed. As it happened, the four horsemen (Nambatac, Quinto, Balanza, and Calvo) were the ones who carried us through with very little help from the others.

You're right, ESCALERA JR. Coach Napa has been using Balagasay and Vacaro more often these days, with Pamulaklakin and Pascual getting only sparse minutes in the Mapua game. Kung sabagay, in the limited time that Pascual was in the game, he committed two quick fouls and one turnover. Sayang nga yung turnover -- Pascual was streaking to the basket, pinasahan, hindi lang nasalo. Would have been a great layup.

We're now tied for third with JRU. SSCR and EAC are still in the mix, so it's imperative that we win over these two. In the first round, our games with both the Generals and the Stags were closely fought affairs, so we cannot afford to be complacent with either one of them.

Next game is vs. SSCR. Hold on tight, as this looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride. Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
09-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Ouch. Devastating loss -- and from a Final Four contender yet! There's still an off-chance, though, but we just have to string up those wins in succession.

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/san-sebastian-heats-up-from-downtown-just-in-the-nick-of-time/96927

knightrider
09-28-2017, 09:40 AM
The fantastic four made up of veterans Nambatac, Calvo, Quinto and Balanza cannot and will not win games by themselves without the others stepping up. Remnants of the recent champion team like Bernabe and Gideria could not be considered "veterans" as they were hardly part of the rotation for the past two years. They are only getting their minutes because some of the bally-hooed newbies have not really shown up or worst, hardly used. I think Pamulakalkin is in the mold of a Jam Cortes or a Jonathan Belorio who could be a decent inside player. He is unfortunately riding the bench. Balagasay is a big disappointment. Heir apparent to Jom Sollano, he has fizzled out. I get the feeling that something is amiss with this team. Except for the gruesome foursome (plus perhaps Mandreza and Taladua), the others play without the "angas" that is the mark of previous CSJL teams, malakas man o mahina pa sila. The "in your face" game of the Alas' teams is nowhere in sight.

ESCALERA JR.
09-30-2017, 09:24 AM
We're down to the last 3 games. Only our final game with Benilde is a sure win but with the way the team is playing now nothing is so sure.

Blow hot blow cold tayo...what after getting clobbered by a mile against an all pinoy Baste team wag na umasa madyado. We'll be facing next the still undefeated LPU Pirates then the 2nd running Red Lions. Steep climb just to gate crash the f4.

Talunin na lang naten ang mga Pirata this season ok na ako...malamang sila din makaharap naten and beating them 3 in a row is asking for the moon and stars.

bugleboy
09-30-2017, 04:31 PM
I'll be satisfied just seeing the Knights fighting to the last second. Manalo o matalo, Letran tayo!

knightrider
10-04-2017, 08:12 AM
This is it! The game tomorrow against LPU is crucial. A win helps greatly in our FF quest. A loss means our FF fate are in the hands of other teams. LPU has shown great resiliency and maturity in the endgame. This is quite a bit surprising as they never had any prior FF experience. They don't melt under the heat. So we have to have a comfortable margin at the end game. Going toe to toe with them at the finish will put us at a disadvantage. Go Knights! Arriba all the way!!!

ESCALERA JR.
10-08-2017, 08:38 AM
LPU Pirates will be the NCAA champions. Pwedeng B2b din next season and possibly a 3peat if the core group stays.

Their defense is an improved version of coach Ayo' mayhem and their offense is so fluid ang sarap panoorin...quick transistion with crisp passing, parang hindi na ra-rattle. Double edge yung kambal, ang sipag sa depensa may tira pa sa labas. And their bench scoring is awesome. Caduyac is a cerebral pg who is always on the lookout for the open man and only shoots when necessary, pero ilista mo na as a basket or an assist.

Their shooters Jesper Ayaay and another guy sureball palagi, pag bumitaw sa tres...yes! If we are lucky enough to get at #4, we need tobeat them 2 times, a very tall order. Ang sakin lang we have another shot at them granting they loose vs RL on their last game.

Pag makaisa lang tayo, aba ibang usapan na yan. With Ambo back, ilabas na lahat ni nambatac and co ang dapat ilabas.

Goodluck on Fri. Arriba pa rin!

bugleboy
10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
We have a very good chance to make it to the Final Four, especially with SSC's loss to Arellano yesterday. Of course, if the Knights lose their last two games and the Stags and Chiefs win theirs, then we will get the boot! :(

Best case scenario is if we win both of our last two games -- one of which will be against the defending champs, SBC. If we do, we will close out at 10-8 and the best that both the Stags and Chiefs will be able to do will be 9-9. Pasok tayo!

Tall order, but doable IF Coach Jeff is able to muster the fighting spirit of the Knights. Tama ka, ESCALERA JR. Ilabas na ang dapat ilabas. Wala nang atrasan! Laban na kung laban!

bugleboy
10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Double post. Sorry.

bugleboy
10-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Looks like this race for the last Final Four berth is going to go down the wire. Kapit, mga katoto!

ESCALERA JR.
10-14-2017, 07:09 AM
CSB is our last chance to salvage whatever there is to stay alive. We must not underestimate the Blazers, they are playing without any pressure at all and on a win streak after beating Perps...and the Knights are playing with everything to lose.

Matinding gapangan ito...triple tie sa 4th, go over AU/baste again, ambushin ang Jru bomber then face the RL ulet if ever Lpu stays undefeated in a stepladder format. Pero kelangan muna natin manalo kontra Csb. Kapagod!

Bracing up for a rough ride. Laban lang kabalyeros

bugleboy
10-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Hi, Boss ESCALERA JR. If a triple tie occurs among Baste, Arellano and us, Baste will wait for whoever will win the AU-SJLC battle since they have the biggest quotient among the three. Assuming we win vs the Chiefs, we will have to win again over Baste to take over the fourth spot.

LPU, SBC, and JRU, on the other hand, are already firmly ensconced within the top three. Ang paglalabanan na lang ay ang nos. 1 and 2 since LPU and SBC still have to meet in the second round. Anyway, problema na nila iyon.

Mas malaki ang problema natin. But you're right. First things first. We have to win against Benilde. Otherwise, we may end up outside the Final Four once again.

ESCALERA JR.
10-17-2017, 01:04 PM
NAPAka....?!#$%&*@#... pag tayo na-Olats mamaya!

ESCALERA JR.
10-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Not a nice win...but ill take it anyhow. Almost got booted by the lowly Blazers. Had Pili made his shot, laglag tayo lahat sa ating kinauupuan.
Rey Namatac has extended wearing the Letran jersey for another game, now is the best time to showcase, showboat and all sa mga prospective pba teams watching for the upcoming draft.

It is also coach Napa's chance to regain the confidence of some disgruntled alums by winning one more, and another one and another...Many would be asking for his head kung natalo kanina. Parang hirap na hirap sa laban...paano pa sa next game.

We hope to see some spunk and aggressive as we claw back to get that 4th seed. Ibalik ang sigla at angas nun nakaraan kampeonato. Maybe... baka may milagro! Just say the magic word, Arriba!

knightrider
10-18-2017, 09:08 AM
After going toe to toe with a tough and strong team in the previous game, it seemed that they took the Blazers for granted. Parang yakang yaka yung atiitude. They just exerted enough effort in the end game to win. But it is these types of close games that the team can trip on itself. The Knights have to take the game versus Arellano seriously. Baka na naman yakang yaka attitutde kasi wala si Kent Salado. Sana hindi naman, kasi shallow yung bench after the starting five. The others have to show "fire and fury like the world has never seen before". Ha ha ha...

knightrider
10-19-2017, 08:12 PM
The Knightquest is on! We need 4 straight wins to make it to the Finals. It starts and hopefully, does not end tomorrow. Itodo na (4X). No retreat, no surrender. Never give in, never give up.

bugleboy
10-20-2017, 09:14 AM
This is it, pancit! Win or go home time! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Salamat Rey Chan Nambatac.

Goodluck on the next chapter of your basketball journey.

Arriba "StingRey" !!!

knightrider
10-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Thank you "Sting" Rey Namabtac for your service to the Colegio.

Be proud since you exit the hallowed portals of Letran with a championship tucked in your armor.

Not many have that signal accomplishment, despite their greatness.

That you opted to use up your collegiate basketball eligibility playing for Letran is truly appreciated by all Dugong Arriba Knights.

No doubt, your PBA career will be spectacular like the Letran legends of old...Samboy Lim, Willie Miller, Kerby Raymundo, ... and much older legends like Freddie Webb, Dave Regullano, Basilio Go, Rudy Hines, etc etc..

All the best to you.

As for Bong Quinto, Toto Calvo, Jerrick Balanza, Geo Ambohot, Taladua, etc., ... a championship next year is a must!!!

bugleboy
10-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Thank you, StingRey Nambatac! Good luck in your career with the Rain or Shine ElastoPainters!