PDA

View Full Version : UE RED WARRIORS SEASON 78

gensankid
08-17-2015, 05:26 PM
UE Red Warriors

Kaya Natin 'To!

http://s24.postimg.org/eb9vu4a79/UE_Warriors.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

ghost09
08-18-2015, 03:38 PM
http://sports.abs-cbn.com/uaap/news/2015/08/17/dlsu-s-mbala-ateneo-s-cani-ruled-uaap-78-4157

alberto ineligible. big loss imo.

Edit:

Jason Varilla takes dan's slot

http://www.rappler.com/sports/university/uaap/ue/102982-dan-alberto-ineligible-ue-uaap-78

gensankid
08-19-2015, 09:08 AM
WARRIORS FIELDING SMALL ROSTER BUT COACH UPBEAT
By Jerome Lagunzad on August 19, 2015

ALREADY without top guard Roi Sumang and a pair of solid reinforcements, University of the East suffered yet another blow when steady playmaker Dan Alberto was deemed ineligible by the UAAP Board for the league’s 78th season, leaving the Red Warriors with no option but to practically start from scratch.

But coach Derrick Pumaren doesn’t mind, convinced his All-Filipino lineup that features nine rookies, including prized Gen. Santos City recruit Edson Batiller, can pull off big upsets starting on Sept. 5 when they take on host University of the Philippines at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

“This will be the foundation of future Red Warriors teams. We are in some sort of a transition period,” Pumaren said in a phone interview yesterday. “I’m excited to build this team up.”

The 5-foot-10 Alberto, supposedly tasked to fill in the playmaking chores left by Sumang who decided to forego his final year and join this month’s pro league rookie draft, was ruled out by the UAAP Board last Monday, saying he has completed his playing eligibility in the collegiate ranks.

Alberto played for two years with Our Lady of Fatima U in the National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities before transferring to UE.

Pumaren said they considered tapping an African import in Bertrand Awana, who can fill up the void left by hulking Sierra Leone native Charles Mammie who has graduated and lanky Cameroonian Moustapha Arafat who was axed for playing in a pocket tourney without permission from the school.

But the 6-foot-8 Awana, according to Pumaren, had attitude problems.

“Hindi pa nga kilala, nagpapakilala na agad,” he said.

Those developments left the Red Warriors with a relatively young and small crew, bannered by the 5-foot-10 Batiller, a former Holy Trinity College standout, and a pair of high school recruits in Philip Manalang of National U and Chiang Kai Shek’s Fran Yu.

“We will have a small team this season. But I am encouraging my players to turn our weakness into the team’s strength. We just have to fight it out,” said Pumaren, who will enter his second season at the helm since taking over the coaching mantle from Boycie Zamar.

Pumaren said he’s counting on veterans Chris Javier, RR de Leon, Paul Varilla and Emil Palma to lead the way. “We just have to fight it out. As long as the veterans live up to my expectations and the rookies play consistently, I think we can get the job done of making it at least to the Final Four,” he said.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/business-news/sports/warriors-fielding-small-roster-coach-upbeat

ghost09
08-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Full Schedule First Round via spin

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/uaap-season-78-opening-and-games-schedule

ghost09
08-29-2015, 07:04 PM
UAAP Season 78 Primer: UE Red Warriors via Rappler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L87WIFRP93s

gensankid
09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
UAAP: Size not a disadvantage for UE, says coach
By Jan Ballesteros, CNN Philippines

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Despite parading an all-Filipino lineup, University of the East (UE) head coach Derrick Pumaren is confident his team is capable of pulling off surprises in the upcoming University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) season.

During the league's press conference on Tuesday (September 1), Pumaren said they feel that they are "a better team contrary to what people think."

He also promised that they will be "playing as a team this time."

And if this is not exciting enough, Pumaren said they still have a lot in store for the basketball fans.

"We'll try to surprise everybody," he said.

How? By reaching the Final Four, the coach added.

"(Goal is) still the Final Four. I'll be lying if I'm not aiming for that," said the veteran mentor, whose team lost top-caliber cagers like Roi Sumang and African reinforcement Charles Mammie.

"We still feel that we're capable of making it to the Final Four despite having an all-Filipino lineup."

For Pumaren, having a small, not to mention rookie-laden roster, is actually an edge in the league dominated by foreign reinforcements.

"I must say we're a smaller team, but it is more of a strength for us. It is not a weakness. That's how we're gonna play this year: use our strength to the fullest," said Pumaren, whose patented full-court pressure has been the hallmark of his coaching career.

And which team can halt his team's surge?

"It will still be the Final Four teams (Ateneo, La Salle, National University, and Far Eastern University)," he said. "Basically because of their experience and intact lineups."

gensankid
09-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Watch CNN Interview UE Red Warriors

http://cnnphilippines.com/videos/2015/09/01/UE-coach-We-can-surprise-in-the-UAAP.html

ghost09
09-05-2015, 05:22 PM
UP over UE 62-55

That was a struggle to watch in the first quarter, still the boys fought back -- never backed down till the end. Those Vito 3s killed our momentum, still this is a young team that's going to learn and be better in time.

Negatives:
FREETHROWS - can't count how many we missed.

Scoring - Paul Varilla and De leon played a bad game especially when they are counted upon to be consistent this season.

Turnovers - expected from a young team but still we need to lessen them.

Positives:

Batiller and Manalang - i am comfortable going forward with these 2 guards. they will only get better with games.

Javier - still makes the occasional lapses but he looks like he wants to end his uaap career on a high note. let's hope he plays better and more consistent.

red_engr1987
09-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Javier game is not a force in the shaded area, he is not athletic and slow. Most of the time he settle in taking jumpshot and missed most of the time last saturday. UE RW missed Mammie offense and defense and Roi Sumang leadership. The team are totally clueless in playing smart basketball just like a jump shooting team, we need to attack the basket and convert our free throw.

red_engr1987
09-12-2015, 09:31 PM
i

Rookie Bon Batiller shows way as UE Warriors keep titleholder NU Bulldogs winless

September 12, 2015, 06:50 pm

Rookie Bon Batiller shows way as UE Warriors keep titleholder NU Bulldogs winless
Bon Batiller comes up with a huge game to help the Warriors even their record after an opening-day loss. Dante Peralta

BON Batiller scored 23 points, leading University of the East in a huge third quarter run en route to a 76-71 victory over reigning champion National University on Saturday in the UAAP Season 78 seniors basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The heroics by the rookie out of Holy Trinity College of General Santos City sparked the Red Warriors to their first victory while sending the Bulldogs to their second defeat in as many games.

UE coach Derrick Pumaren celebrated his first-ever win at Mall of Asia Arena since taking over the team last year.

“Ganito pala ang itsura ng press room sa MOA. This is my first win sa MOA,” said Pumaren.

Batiller scored 14 points in the third period after UE trailed, 32-37, at halftime. He wound up with four triples in the contest.

“I challenged the guys at halftime. I tried to push them. It was a great third quarter for us. We were hitting our three point shots. We tightened up our defense. We forced turnovers and we took advantage of it.

“The second half is the real Warriors that I’m looking for,” said Pumaren.

Edgar Charcos had 12 points while Paul Varilla tallied 11 for the Red Warriors, who scored 12 unanswered points to post their biggest lead at 57-43. UE outscored NU, 28-9, in the third.

Gelo Alolino scored 23 points for the Bulldogs, who lost for the second game in a row following their defeat against La Salle on opening weekend.

The scores:

UE (76)—Batiller 23, Charcos 12, Varilla 11, Abanto 9, De Leon 8, Palma 6, Sta. Ana 4, Manalang 3, Derige 0, Gagate 0, Gonzales 0, Yu 0, Penuela 0.

NU (71)—Alolino 23, Javelona 16, Aroga 8, Salim 6, Diputado 5, Javillonar 5, Neypes 4, Abatayo 2, Celda 2, Alejandro 0, Rangel 0, Morido 0.

Quarterscores: 20-16; 32-37; 60-46; 76-71.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @reubensports

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/ue-warriors-beat-titleholder-nu-bulldogs-winless-uaap-basketball#3HrbWs0ozCc48q6J.99

ghost09
09-13-2015, 01:48 AM
UE over NU 76-71

Gutsy win -- the boys displayed heart and never backed down. Batiller - what can i say more the kid just has it.Our guard play was very good -- fearless drives , fluid ball movement and rotations. we just gotta limit the turnovers. great bounce back game from the vets too.

Positives

1. EDSON BATILLER. the kid can play.

2. Varilla and De leon atoned for their poor play against UP. we need them to be consistent. ditto Charcos.

3. Abanto and his hustle and energy.

4. Pumaren Press. our defense fuels our offense. let's hope our strength and conditioning can last till the end -- we run a very fast pace.

Negatives.

Turnovers and Freethrows.

red_engr1987
09-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Charcos - missed 4 FT in the closing minutes last saturday :( di yata prepared sa mahabang playing time but he played well as a PG with some lapses hope will continue to improve.

Next Game : AdU vs UE @ MOA Arena 2:00 PM
September 16, 2015 (Wed)

red_engr1987
09-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Charcos - missed 4 FT in the closing minutes last saturday :( di yata prepared sa mahabang playing time but he played well as a PG with some lapses hope will continue to improve.

September 16, 2015 (Wed)

Joescoundrel
09-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Bon Batiller needs to keep adding a new wrinkle to his game, otherwise mahuhuli na siya ng mga depensa. His main strength is his ability to pull up and make the jumpshot. His teammates have to learn to set screens for him where he likes that ball, maybe there at the quartercourt areas up to 18 feet, or run the drive-kickout for his three-pointers. Mas mabilis na team ang UE kung wala si Chris Javier, maybe RR De Leon should become the fulltime starter at center for the season.

Joescoundrel
09-15-2015, 03:27 PM

September 16, 2015 (Wed)

Boss hindi ba Big Dome ito?

As for Ed Charcos, ang panlaban niya talaga is speed. He got the offensive rebound off his own missed freethrow by chasing it down. I think kaya ni Charcos maging fulltime starter na din.

ghost09
09-17-2015, 04:44 AM
UE over ADU 89-78

A game of counter runs. Great game from edson batiller , one of these days he will come back down to earth , for now let us enjoy this run of his 23pts 8asts 6stls 1to - what a stat line. Every game there seems to be a new warrior stepping up, last game it was abanto - yesterday it was Clark derige 12pts 10rebs and Fran Yu 8pts they combined for that 3rd qtr run. Another steady outing for our vets with Varilla leading the way with 14.

Positives.

1. 28 Assists. Unselfish play from the boys. hoping this trend continues

2. 11 Steals. Defense is our mantra.

3. Edson Batiller. Again where would we be if not for this kid?

4. Paul Varilla. The guy is getting into a rhythm, that bodes well for us.

Negatives.

Mental lapses. we gave up to many runs to them -- straying away from the system when we had a big lead
Freethrows. Yu missed atleast 4 by my count.

red_engr1987
09-17-2015, 09:49 AM

As for Ed Charcos, ang panlaban niya talaga is speed. He got the offensive rebound off his own missed freethrow by chasing it down. I think kaya ni Charcos maging fulltime starter na din.

Sorry Sir Joe my bad :(
Anyway congrats to UE RW, the team will be tested by ADMU this coming saturday
Goodluck to the team and enjoy the game

red_engr1987
09-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Sorry Sir Joe my bad :(
Anyway congrats to UE RW, the team will be tested by ADMU this coming saturday
Goodluck to the team and enjoy the game

Joescoundrel
09-18-2015, 09:36 AM
UE coach Pumaren recalls how he stumbled on a gem of a find in Bon Batiller

September 17, 2015, 09:05 pm

UNIVERSITY of the East coach Derrick Pumaren vividly remembered one day last year when he woke up so early just to scout Bon Batiller in a preseason tournament.

“I saw him (play) sa Filoil (Cup) sa Holy Trinity College,” recalled Pumaren. “Nagbabad ako kahit eight ‘o clock in the morning doon sa Hoops (Center in Mandaluyong City). I was just watching him.”

As it turned out, the veteran coach’s basketball instincts and keen eye did not fail him, as the unknown playing for a school based in General Santos City proved to be a gem of a find.

In his first season with the Red Warriors, the 21-year-old Batiller, Pumaren's first recruit since he took over the UE job last year, has been leading his team in scoring with an average of 21 points through three games.

His average is so impressive Batiller trails only Ed Daquioag of University of Santo Tomas (24.3) and reigning MVP Kiefer Ravena of Ateneo (23.3) in the college league's scoring ladder.

The General Santos City native is also the second leading three-point shooter in the league with eight, behind only Roger Pogoy of Far Eastern University with nine.

But while Batiller has already proven himself to be a scorer, Pumaren said he is more impressed with the versatility of a player who despite being a shooting guard for UE, can also play the role of playmaker.

“I like him because he can create and he can run the team. He can run the point. Right now, I use him as a second guard,” said Pumaren.

With Batiller leading the way, UE has notched a 2-1 win-loss record including an upset win over National University, ahead of another tough test against Ateneo on Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Pumaren hopes that UE has gained enough confidence to pull off another win.

“Hopefully, that two wins gave us confidence. I do believe we can compete against Ateneo. We just have to play our game,” said Pumaren.

Joescoundrel
09-18-2015, 10:05 AM
UE needs to find another consistent scoring option bukod kay Bon Batiller. Hindi naman pwedeng siya at siya lang ang aasahan gumawa, iipitin siya ng depensa, and he is not that big, so he cannot really shoot over anybody's head, or overpower defenders.

Tingin ko pwede sa role na ito si Paul Varilla, or even RR De Leon, if Ed Charcos and Philip Manalang can find them in good spots. Mahirap sa halfcourt motion ni Manong Derek andaming gustong pasa, screen, pasa, screen, kelangan ng patience finding the open man. Ang kalaban dito clock management, so the UE pointguards have to move that ball around quickly.

ghost09
09-20-2015, 04:40 PM
ADMU over UE 77-72.

Everytime Pessumal plays against us, he always plays well -- this game was no different.We were outrebounded -- too many 2nd chance points. Doesn't help that our main scorer was in foul trouble most of the way and our offense was lost without him. It was just too deep of a hole to comeback to when the only one consistent in the game was surprisingly javier (17pts) -- batiller had 19 but he was not that impactful up until that rally in the 4th.

Still the boys didn't give up, fought back and made it a game -- they will learn from this. On to FEU

Positives.

1. Javier. hope he keeps it up scoring wise.

2. Mental Toughness - the boys rallied and showed heart to make it a game atleast

Negatives.

1. Vets. - Varilla had only 5 pts and his turnovers, De Leon 4 and Charcos 5. We wont win against the good teams if they play like they did.

2. Turnovers and Freethrows - can't state this enough. Let's hope this will not be a recurring theme throughout the season.

red_engr1987
09-23-2015, 10:03 AM
UE vs. FEU today at 2:00PM MOA

Go Fight Red and White

red_engr1987
09-23-2015, 10:07 AM
UE vs. FEU today at 2:00PM MOA

Go Fight Red and White

red_engr1987
09-24-2015, 10:25 AM
FEU Tamaraws avoid upset ax, turn back gutsy UE Warriors to regain UAAP lead

September 23, 2015, 04:20 pm

FAR Eastern University stormed back in the fourth quarter to beat University of the East, 92-81, on Wednesday in the UAAP Season 78 men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The Tamaraws went on a run of 18 points while holding the Red Warriors scoreless in a five-minute span to avoid a reversal and climb back to the top of the standings with a 4-1 win-loss record.

Mac Belo presided over FEU’s fiery finish, scoring 12 of his 24 points in the fourth period. That included a burst of five straight points to give the Tamaraws the lead for good, 77-75, with 4:57 left in the game.

“Hirap na hirap kami. We just got the lead late in the fourth quarter. It’s a tough UE team. ‘Yun talaga ‘yung inexpect namin,” said FEU coach Nash Racela.

UE led by as many as 15 points and had a 75-70 lead with 6:47 left in the ballgame but failed to score again until the final two-minute mark when the result of the game was all but settled.

Mike Tolomia had 15 points while rookie veteran Monbert Arong added 14 points for FEU. Raymar Jose had another double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Tamaraws.

UE dropped to 2-3.

The scores:

FEU (92) — Belo 24, Tolomia 15, Arong 14, Jose 13, Pogoy 10, Inigo 8, Tamsi 3, Ru. Escoto 2, Orizu 2, Ri. Escoto 1, Comboy 0, Dennison 0, Ebona 0, Trinidad 0.

UE (81) — Batiller 18, Javier 13, Derige 10, Varilla 9, Abanto 8, Charcos 7, De Leon 7, Palma 6, Manalang 3, Penuela 0, Yu 0.
Quarterscores: 21-29; 39-50; 59-71; 92-81.

red_engr1987
09-24-2015, 10:26 AM

September 23, 2015, 04:20 pm

Mac Belo and the Tamaraws score their fourth victory in five games. Jerome Ascano

FAR Eastern University stormed back in the fourth quarter to beat University of the East, 92-81, on Wednesday in the UAAP Season 78 men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The Tamaraws went on a run of 18 points while holding the Red Warriors scoreless in a five-minute span to avoid a reversal and climb back to the top of the standings with a 4-1 win-loss record.

Mac Belo presided over FEU’s fiery finish, scoring 12 of his 24 points in the fourth period. That included a burst of five straight points to give the Tamaraws the lead for good, 77-75, with 4:57 left in the game.

“Hirap na hirap kami. We just got the lead late in the fourth quarter. It’s a tough UE team. ‘Yun talaga ‘yung inexpect namin,” said FEU coach Nash Racela.

UE led by as many as 15 points and had a 75-70 lead with 6:47 left in the ballgame but failed to score again until the final two-minute mark when the result of the game was all but settled.

Mike Tolomia had 15 points while rookie veteran Monbert Arong added 14 points for FEU. Raymar Jose had another double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Tamaraws.

UE dropped to 2-3.

The scores:

FEU (92) — Belo 24, Tolomia 15, Arong 14, Jose 13, Pogoy 10, Inigo 8, Tamsi 3, Ru. Escoto 2, Orizu 2, Ri. Escoto 1, Comboy 0, Dennison 0, Ebona 0, Trinidad 0.

UE (81) — Batiller 18, Javier 13, Derige 10, Varilla 9, Abanto 8, Charcos 7, De Leon 7, Palma 6, Manalang 3, Penuela 0, Yu 0.
Quarterscores: 21-29; 39-50; 59-71; 92-81.

ghost09
09-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Battle of the East

FEU over UE 92-81

Tough loss for the boys. We played them well in the first 3 quarters -- kept them at bay but this FEU team showed why they are the team to beat -- they are just too deep and experienced not to make a game out of it even when they are down with a big lead like that. They chipped away at the lead methodically, made their runs --- we tried to hold on but they just caught fire at the right time.

another learning experience for the boys. on to DLSU let's finish the first round strong.

red_engr1987
09-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Hot-shooting Andrei Caracut helps La Salle Green Archers put away UE Warriors

September 27, 2015, 04:42 pm

Hot-shooting Andrei Caracut helps La Salle Green Archers put away UE Warriors
Jeron Teng scored 11 of his 16 points in the first quarter. Jaime Campos

ANDREI Caracut made 16 points as De La Salle claimed its second straight victory - a 71-64 win over University of the East on Sunday in the UAAP Season 78 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Caracut scored 11 points in the final period and presided over the Green Archers' breakaway with a personal seven-point swing which he started with a rare four-point play.

The rookie out of San Beda's scoring run gave the Green Archers a 17-point lead at 58-41, which proved more than enough to cushion a comeback by the Red Warriors.

Jeron Teng had 11 of his game-high 16 points in the first quarter for the Green Archers, who improved to 3-2.

“It’s a hard win,” said La Salle coach Juno Sauler. “UE kept battling at the very last minutes even though we had a double digit lead. But it’s a great effort for the boys, not giving up and playing until the final seconds."

Larry Muyang was also a revelation for La Salle, finishing with 11 points and 11 rebounds for La Salle, which will play co-leader University of Santo Tomas on Wednesday.

Nick Abanto had 14 points while RR De Leon added 12 points for the Red Warriors, who only had two points from the team’s leading scorer Bon Batiller.

UE fell to 2-4.

The scores:

La Salle (71) — Caracut 16, Teng 16, Muyang 11, Torres 8, Torralba 7, Perkins 6, Sargent 5, Nacarro 2, Rivero 0, Tratter 0.

UE (64) — Abanto 14, De Leon 12, Charcos 8, Varilla 7, Palma 5, Penuela 5, Javier 4, Derige 3, Batiller 2, Gagate 2, Yu 2, Manalang 0, Sta. Ana 0.

Quarterscores: 17-16, 32-26, 51-41, 71-64.

red_engr1987
10-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Ed Daquioag's season-high 34 points carry in-form UST Tigers past UE Red Warriors

October 7, 2015, 04:25 pm

i
Ed Daquioag's season-high 34 points carry in-form UST Tigers past UE Red Warriors
UST veteran guard Ed Daquioag was simply unstoppable in this game. Jerome Ascano

ED Daquioag scored a season-high 34 points to lead University of Santo Tomas to an 83-76 victory over University of the East on Wednesday in the UAAP Season 78 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Daquioag had 21 in the second half alone when the Growling Tigers turned back one Warriors run after another to end the first round of the eliminations with a league-best 6-1 win-loss record.

The Red Warriors fell to 2-5.

“Hindi na ako nagtataka sa performance ni Ed,” said UST coach Bong Dela Cruz. “Summer pa lang, Natural na sa kanya ‘yung performance nyang ‘un para sa amin.”

Daquioag shot 14-of-23 from the field, while also adding four rebounds and six assists in the win, the Tigers’ third in a row.

UST led by as many as 16 points.

Daquioag’s consecutive baskets put the Tigers ahead, 56-46, before completing a three-point play to surpass the 30-point barrier with 3:46 left in the game.

He later hit two more free throws with 51.3 seconds to settle the outcome of the match.

The Tigers matched their best start in 2013 where the squad reached the finals before losing to De La Salle in three games

Paul Varilla had 25 points in a losing effort for the Red Warriors, who also got 12 from Chris Javier

The scores

UST (83) - Daquioag 34, Ferrer 14, Vigil 14, Abdul 9, Sheriff 5, Lee 5, Lao 2, Bonleon 0, Subido 0, Faundo 0, Abdurasad 0, Caunan 0, Garrido 0.

UE (76) - Varilla 25, Javier 12, Palma 8, De Leon 8, Charcos 5, Batiller 5, Sta. Ana 4, Abanto 3, Manalang 2, Derige 2, Gagate 2, Gonzales 0, Penuela 0, Yu 0.

Quarterscores: 26-12; 44-33; 60-56; 83-76.

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/louie-vigil-ust-tigers-ue-warriors-bon-batiller-uaap-basketball#kpSDHi6ZPp0YXsuV.99

red_engr1987
10-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Defense is name of game as UE Red Warriors bring down title-holders NU Bulldogs

October 10, 2015, 07:23 pm

UNIVERSITY of the East ended a four-game losing skid by beating reigning champion National University, 52-47, on Saturday in the UAAP Season 78 seniors basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Chris Javier scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds while Paul Varilla added 10 points and nine rebounds for UE in a game where both teams shot poorly from the field.

The Red Warriors began the second round on a big way, improving to 3-5 win-loss to gain a share of fifth place with University of the Philippines and the NU Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs lost their second successive game.

UE won despite shooting 23-of-72 (32 percent) from the field as the Red Warriors relied on their defense, forcing NU to just 16-of-57 shooting from the field.

“We stuck to our game plan defensively. We weren’t playing well but our defense carried us in this game. We still have to correct our mistakes,” said UE coach Derrick Pumaren.

Alfred Aroga had 11 points and nine rebounds for the Bulldogs.

The scores:

UE (52) — Javier 16, P. Varilla 10, Abanto 7, Charcos 4, De Leon 4, Palma 4, Batiller 3, Gagate 2, J. Varilla 2, Derige 0, Manalang 0, Penuela 0, Sta. Ana 0, Yu 0.

NU (47) — Aroga 11, Neypes 9, Diputado 8, Alolino 6, Celda 4, Salim 4, Alejandro 3, Tansingco 2, Abatayo 0, Javelona 0, Javillonar 0, Yu 0.

Quarterscores: 8-12, 21-28, 37-36, 52-47

Follow the writer on Twitter: @spinph

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/ue-red-warriors-beat-defending-champion-nu-bulldogs-in-uaap-stunne#XeJbFwZhHUw71Sjz.99

red_engr1987
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
UE Red Warriors score an upset against UST Tigers. After a back to back losses against DLSU & FEU at the start of their second round campaign in the elimination, finally they score huge victory against UST today at the Big Dome. See below story from SPIN.

UNIVERSITY of the East stunned University of Santo Tomas, 91-77, on Thursday to keep alive its semifinal hopes in the UAAP Season 78 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Clark Derige scored 26 points as Red Warriors improved their win-loss record to 4-7, to stay within striking distance of idle La Salle (5-6) and National University (5-7) in the race to the No. 4 spot in the semifinals.

UST was looking to secure a twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four as the Growling Tigers slipped to 9-3. They go into their marquee game against league-leader Far Eastern University on a two-game skid.

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/clark-derige-ue-warriors-ust-tigers-karim-abdul-uaap-76#iZ0WsDXo3LotQGAl.99

Joescoundrel
11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
UST clearly did not prepare for the Pumaren fullcourt press. They also did not defend the baseline very well, which is where Clark Derige and Nic Abanto got a lot of their points. Paul Varilla also did an excellent defensive job on Kevin Ferrer.

Joescoundrel
11-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Tatalunin ang UST, matatalo sa Adamson, hindi ko tuloy malaman kung ano ba talaga ang Warriors...

red_engr1987
11-10-2015, 11:53 AM
sana naman yung game against UP eh maipanalo ng UE Red Warriors, lets get even with UP !!!!

Go Fight Red and White !!!!

red_engr1987
11-10-2015, 11:53 AM
sana naman yung game against UP eh maipanalo ng UE Red Warriors, lets get even with UP !!!!

Go Fight Red and White !!!!

Sam Miguel
11-12-2015, 08:44 AM
UE has a SLIM chance of sneaking into the Final 4, BUT you have to beat BOTH Ateneo and UP, and hope FEU beats both NU and Lasalle. That will tie UE, NU, and Lasalle all at 6-8. I just do not know how the quotients will break.

red_engr1987
11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
i thought it was a good weekend for UE community when the Red Warriors beat ADMU Blue Eagles on the Sat 1st UAAP MBT Games. FB comments among the UE Faithful with #BuhaypaUE and start thinking of the tie breaker quotient. It was expected by many (including me) that FEU will win the second game and we are hoping for DLSU to lose their final game (end of the elimination round) against FEU. We are hoping against hope on the slim chance to sneak in to the F4 the short live celebration died down when Tolomia missed his running shot to tie the game against NU no OT, NU had it for the win and Aroga and the rest of the bulldogs jump for joy at the mid court. Its all over for UE's F4 dream that simply eludes the team for the last 6 years. The FEU vs DLSU game this coming wednesday is no longer relevant nor important for UE RW. The team will play their final game against UP with only school pride at stake. If not with the UE loss to UP on their first round assignment and a sorry loss to ADU on the second round we could have landed our slot to the elusive F4. As the saying goes "its not our time and it is not meant to be for the UE Red Warriors in Season 78".

ghost09
11-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Thank you Chris Javier for donning the red and white. We are proud of you, good luck in your future endeavors.

ghost09
11-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Looking into the future.

Paul Varilla and RR De leon should be the leaders of this team next season, they should atleast average 10pts or more each next yr. Clark Derige was a revelation in the 2nd round hoping his game will take another level next year. Emil Palma needs to develop an outside shot -- might be his breakout season next yr if he gets that shot. Edgar Charcos was steady at the point, might need him to score more. Steven Cudal,should be demoted to team B , unless he transforms into a inside presence for us.

Rookies/1st yr players

Bonbon Batiller - started out on fire, cooled down. medyo gigil ang laro, hope his game matures , he will be big for us next year.

Jason Varilla - very intriguing prospect, excited to see how he develops his game.

Philip Manalang and Fran Yu - steady play, experience will only bode well for these 2. our guards will be a problem for everyone in the coming years.

Nick Abanto - hustle, that's his MO - hope he offsets javier's loss in terms of rebounding.

Joshua Gonzales - hustle player din. His slot is not assured tho. (Is Olayon and Guiang still with us?)

Jordan Sta. Ana - Medyo erratic pa maglaro. might need a stint in team B - might be good in the long run.

Ralph Penuela - Send to team B , medyo hilaw pa.

Shannon Gagate - Might stay in A , depends on who we bring in.

The pressing matter would be finding a inside presence to replace Javier, I dunno who we got on the pipeline. Hoping we get some good recruits.

EDIT: "We will have some new guys, big guys coming in,” Pumaren said. via spin : http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/news/ue-red-warriors-already-looking-forward-to-next-uaap-campaign-after-abrupt-end-to-season#wl6QWQVq5qmVE0R4.01

Ok that's an encouraging sign

If all falls into place -- we will get into the final 4 next year.