McJour Luib
Rey Nambatac
Rey Publico
Kier John Quinto
Kevin Kent Racal
Jomari Sollano

bugleboy
06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Lots of ex-Squires on this team: Cruz, Luib, Gedaria, Nambatac, Balanza and Quinto. Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
06-20-2015, 06:17 PM
I can see again an all pinoy lineup. We have to endure five more seasons of playing against these behemoths. As usual, si Ola parin plus another one to be unleash on opening day. Perps likewise will be parading not one but 2 africans. Pati Mapua and csb meron na rin...Eac, jru,lyceum, arellano.

I would be very happy to see if we will at least be in the middle of the pack, a f4 slot is a bonus! Arriba-Laban-pacman! hehe

bugleboy
06-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Well, we brewed the beer; we have to drink it ourselves! I agree with your assessment that an F4 slot at this point will be a bonus. Last year, we had the streak-shooting Tambeling who would spell Racal at 3; now, we have the spirited though undersized Quinto and Balanza. We had a rather tall SG in Singontiko; now, we have the comebacking, though smaller, Buenaflor. Our current slotmen, Sollano and Balagasay, are still inexperienced, although I see a lot of promise, especially in Sollano. Methinks we will still see Publico play a lot as center. I hope, for all our sakes, that he has improved. However, during the off-season, I saw more improvement in Apreku and Dela Pena. Sana lang may itinatago pa si Publico na hindi pa pinapakita sa atin.

What gives me hope, though, is the renewed emphasis on defense. From the games that I saw in the off-season, it seemed that this edition of the Knights is a lot more mindful of where the ball is than last year's batch. They have pretty good execution of the defense traps, which I think will rattle quite a few of the opposing guards. Now, if we can translate those into steals and quick transition offense, then we may have a chance. I also saw a lot of improvements in the games of Mark Cruz, Rey Nambatac, and heck, even McJour Luib!

Laban lang! Arriba! On to season 91!

ESCALERA JR.
06-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Inquirer.net late breaking news...Pacquiao set to support Letran Basketball team in NCAA Season 91.

Totoo na nga! I hope our boys would be more inspired if ever Pacman joins in the huddle...o di kaya siya ang ma-inspire watching the heads-up play of the tiny Mark Cruz na kasing laki din niya.

Ang problema lang ay kung mag recommend sya na mag pasok na rin ng import. Pumayag kaya mga kaparian naten? Masaya toh!!!
Arriba Letran-Arriba Pacman!

bugleboy
06-26-2015, 07:42 AM
ESCALERA JR., mukhang malabo na yung import. This incoming batch of imports is supposed to be the last batch (as they will be rendered ineligible by 2020, the last year that imports will be allowed). So, kung may ipapasok dapat ang Letran, ngayon na dapat iyon. This means we will have to compete import-less for the next five years.

Para sa akin, OK lang. As Mark Cruz said during an interview about the matter, sanay na tayo diyan.

bugleboy
06-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Double post. Sorry for that.

bugleboy
06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Tinimbang tayo, at kulang daw... :) Parang mali lang yung depth chart. I think Bernabe should be part of the PG lineup, while Balanza should be in the SF spot.

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/colegio-de-san-juan-de-letran-knights-starter-pack/28265

bugleboy
06-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Ayo's assessment and preseason adjustments:

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/ncaa-season-91-letran-knights-aldin-ayo-louie-alas-kevin-racal

ESCALERA JR.
06-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Bugle, kahanga-hanga din ang paninindigan pinamamalas ng ating Old Letran. We could have joined the bandwagon years ago when it was obviously the current trend. Just looking at the roster of most collegiate teams, may isa or 2 banyagang manlalaro. Well, to each his own ika nga...we have an option to get ours but the admi. opted not to. Ok na rin, the community has learned to live with it.
As long as lumalaban ng pukpukan, good enough for us.

Its been a decade since "ONE in'81", will just have to wait a bit more longer. Maybe 2020 is a not so distant target.

Goodluck to our Squires/KNIGHTS, ARRIBA.

knightrider
06-27-2015, 05:45 AM
With the line-up we had in the past few years, we could have won two or more crowns if we had an import. We got into the finals several times with an all Pinoy crew. Nevertheless, at least all our crowns are not asterisked.

bugleboy
06-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Ganoon talaga e. I guess it's useless at this point to think about the could-have-beens or should-have-beens. Our school made a stand, and to its credit, had the courage to abide by the consequences of its stand. That's a good teaching point right there, which I hope all our alumni and students will understand and accept.

Back to basketball -- this will be a very hard season for us. Aside from SBC and Perps, JRU looks like a legitimate contender. Mapua, if Atoy Co will be able to push the right buttons, will be a force to contend with as well.

Good luck to our boys! Arriba!

bugleboy
06-30-2015, 09:28 PM
The Letran Knights employed a stifling press from buzzer to buzzer and came away with a methodical drubbing of the St. Benilde Blazers, 82 - 53, to win the battle between the league's foremost donut teams. Three straight triples (two by Quinto and one by Cruz) in the first quarter set the stage for the rout, as Benilde was never able to recover after that.

Rookies Jomari Sollano and Christian Balagasay were impressive in their NCAA debut, displaying nifty post moves that netted points most of the time. Sollano just needs to work on limiting his fouls, as we would definitely need him in the endgame, particularly in close matches. Apreku also played heads-up ball; I think he tallied double figures in terms of rebounds. He also contributed on the offensive end, which is a definite improvement over previous years' performance.

Quinto and Balanza had particularly good showings as well, with Balanza even playing point for extended periods. Ditto for Nambatac and Calvo, who seem to have gained a lot of confidence.

The only player who seemed to grope for form, understandably so, was Kevin Racal. I hope he will be given more playing time in later games so he will be able to get his groove back. We will need him, especially in the run-up to the Final Four.

Re the win -- while we should be happy and thankful, we have to remember that this Blazers team is a team that lost almost its entire first five from last year (no more Taha, Romero, Singco and Bartolo). They are making do with Jonathan Grey and ex-Squire JR Ongteco providing the offensive firepower, which, as this game showed, has proven to be insufficient.

The next games -- particularly the ones against JRU, MIT, and Perpetual -- should be a better gauge of the level of this year's Knights team. Good luck to all of us!

How the scribes saw the game:

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/stingy-defense-leads-letran-blowing-st-benilde/28670

knightrider
07-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Tenacious defense from the get-go... Ayo picked up from his mentor Coach Louie (and thereafter, Coach Binky). Such defensive tenacity gave that team back to back crowns in the late 90's. Of course, they also did it with BIG man Kerby Raymundo (a giant then at 6'5" or 6'6").

bugleboy
07-02-2015, 09:20 AM
^I hope that in the coming years, we will be able to attract quality big men (local, Fil-foreign) to come to Letran, what with Pacman now bankrolling the Knights. To be fair, our present centers are no slouches. I was pleasantly surprised that Sollano and Balagasay could compete well at this level.

BTW, Publico seems to be out of the lineup. I do know that he has graduated already, because he was in the 2015 college graduating class along with ex-cagers Andrei Pantin, Jebson Po and Edward Ayodele Olotu. I thought that he was going to sign up for MBA to remain eligible, but apparently, that wasn't the case.

Back to the good news. Welcome to Letran, Pacman!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/manny-pacquiao-letran-knights-team-manager-aldin-ayvic-calvo

bugleboy
07-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Good article about MicroMark Cruz!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/letrans-cruz-sees-golden-opportunities-ncaa-swan-song/28685

knightrider
07-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Great win for the team. Sollano and Balagasay will get good opportunities to really develop their skills in the paint. Going up against the IMPORTS (yes, Virginia, that's what they truly are) will surely see to that.

bugleboy
07-04-2015, 10:40 AM
"Organized chaos" is how Coach Aldin calls his system of disruptive defense and quick transition offense. So far, it has worked wonders because it uses the strengths of our backcourt and minimizes the relative weaknesses of our frontcourt. It was a joy seeing Mark Cruz, rey Nambatac and Kevin Racal enjoying themselves. That infectious enthusiasm has rubbed off on the other players, especially Felix Apreku and Jomari Sollano.

Apreku has been the great surprise so far. His rebounding skills have complemented the run-and-gun offense that our boys have been showing, even if he is very much undersized as a power forward. I guess this proves the truism that in rebounding, it's heart and not height that really matters.

In the JRU game, we dodged the bullet because Poutoucchi was in foul trouble and thus, was unable to contribute much. How we will fare against teams with strong game-changer imports (like Perps, MIT, and yes, SBC) and with experienced guards (SBC, Arellano) is something we still have to find out.

Laban lang! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
07-05-2015, 05:06 AM
LOL sa sinabi ni coach Ayo gusto niya yung larong magulo!. Kung di kayang sabayan yung mga higanteng afrikano, eh daanin na nga lang sa takbuhan. Perfect! Para tuloy mga trumpong kangkarot, mga dagang tarantutin. Leading the charge is the smallest guy in the league - 5'6" Mark Cruz and Nambatac plus a slew of other small guards like Luib and Calvo, an even smaller one. Even our big men are too undersize compared to the 6'9"-6'10's of perps, beda and arellano. Yung Sollano at Balagasay ang ninipis ng katawan, pero malay naten matusok sina Ola at Akhuete.

Seems we hit the jackpot here with our newly minted team manager Sir Manny Pacquiao who must be beaming with pride with what he saw. Letran basketball is somewhat very apt to his own fighting style...sugod ng sugod, bira ng bira, laban lang ng laban. At first glance, akala ko meron tayong import after seeing pics of JRU's nigerian Poutoucchi side by side w our local boy Felix Apreku.

Two wins doesn't prove anything yet. We'll see how we fare against much bigger and stronger teams with one or 2 african players in their roster. I dont mind losing to these teams so long as dikit lang at pukpok ang laban, gaya ng mga laban ni boss Pacman, ayos na rin.

Cheers to our new TM...Arriba Pacman, Arriba Letran!

ESCALERA JR.
07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
dbl post."......."........

bugleboy
07-06-2015, 04:32 PM
There is another part of the Ayo formula that we have to mention: the quick passing and constant lookout for the open perimeter shot that has led to our surprisingly high 3-point output. Cruz, Nambatac, Racal, Quinto and even Calvo have been puncturing the hoop with impunity as a result of this. We certainly didn't see this accuracy in earlier years.

Ang siste kasi, the opposing team would gamble with a double team or attempt a steal, which would then lead to an open man. Swak!
Here's hoping that this good run will continue. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

ESCALERA JR.
07-08-2015, 04:18 PM
what are our chances against MiT? Atoy Co's starters has improved with the inclusion of the returning nimez plus...another foreign recruit?. Mababatak ata tayo ng husto kung lahat ng teams meron niyan! Tingin ko inspirado pa mga bata sa pag ayuda ni manny-dyir...malaki-laking bad-yit!,

bugleboy
07-09-2015, 11:38 PM
I think we can beat MIT (although we will find out about this later because the game has been postponed). Their main man, Nimes, is good but inconsistent, and is prone to errors come crunch time. Their import, Oraeme, is quite good particularly in shot blocks and rebounds. He isn't a good free throw shooter, though, and this proved to be the Cardinals' undoing in their last game versus Perpetual.

I'd be more worried about the Cardinal guards like Stevens and Isit. These two are quite feisty defenders, have good handles and better than average shooting touches.

Re the renewed motivation of the Knights, I think the Pacquiao factor is a major one. For once, hindi nangangamba ang mga bata natin sa financial support. That's a load off their minds. Another factor may be that this is the last year for Cruz, Racal and if I'm not mistaken, Apreku. Kailangang magpakitang-gilas para magkaroon ng magandang career sa PBA. Of course, hindi rin naman matatawaran ang coaching process ni Aldin Ayo at ang consultant na si Glenn Capacio.

bugleboy
07-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Next game will be against San Beda, July 16, 4 PM. Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch this because of a prior commitment. I will just have to content myself with the replay on Balls.

Re the game, our boys will surely have a hard time with these Lions. They are strong in all positions. They are much taller. And they're the defending champions. I hope that Coach Ayo will have something up his sleeves as definitely, SBC will be out to prove something here.

Laban!

ESCALERA JR.
07-13-2015, 07:12 PM
bugle, dont give up on our boys just yet. Remember their last match-up sa Filoil when they tried to experiment and let their 3rd stringersfinish the game, muntik-muntikanan diba. From 24pts down nakahabol pa, kung meron pa kahit ilang segundo...silat sana. But i really doubt they would ever try that again.

tignan naten yung dalang istilo ng bago nating coach...yung 'magulong' laro na sinasabi niya at kung aabot tayo sa f4. atsaka habang mainit-init pa sa bendisyon ni boss mannydyir. Goodluck Knights/Squires.

ESCALERA JR.
07-13-2015, 07:12 PM
since balik abs cbn na tayo, i hope we can catch some livestreaming. Any links?

bugleboy
07-13-2015, 08:32 PM
ESCALERA JR., I didn't say that I'm giving up. I just stated known facts. Totoo namang malakas sila sa lahat ng posisyon; we can easily see that in the depth charts. It's also true that they are taller, and that they are the defending champions. Of course, that does not mean that we should just keel over and die. We can always dig in and fight the good fight. And, as has always been proven, games are not won on paper. They're won on the court.

Matira matibay! Laban lang! Arriba!

bugleboy
07-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Re livestreaming, I think this is only available locally. If you're living abroad, you may want to talk to your cable provider about TFC.

bugleboy
07-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Dry-eyed assessment from rivals.ph:

http://rivals.ph/basketball/ncaa-basketball/2015/07/12/37866/ncaa-season-91-team-power-rankings-1-0/11/

knightrider
07-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Playing "small ball" is the "in" thing today. So our lack of height may even be an advantage. But then, the Knights have often won crowns with a big man in the paint (Kerby, Mac Andaya, Gilbert Castillo, etc.).

ESCALERA JR.
07-14-2015, 05:49 PM
This year, the Knights could well be the smallest team on average, with point guard MarkCruz standing only at 5'6"...the smallest guard in the league but with the biggest heart. Not since the johnny abbarientos era did i see a player with this frame lead a team in points and assists. Not really sure though if Cruz can bring his act all the way in the pros. Lets see how he plays his final year with the Knights...maybe with KIA...

bugleboy
07-15-2015, 09:55 PM
In terms of raw talent and heart, Mark Cruz could very well make it to the pros. The only problem is if he will be given the chance by PBA teams. Baka nga puwede sa Kia... o Alaska... o sa ROS...

Maybe Mark should put together a video of himself scoring over imports in the NCAA, or issuing assists, or initiating steals to remind scouts of what he has done. Just an idea.

bugleboy
07-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Defense trumps offense.

Heart trumps height.

A resounding "Arriba!" to our gallant Knights for this convincing victory over the Red Lions!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/rey-nambatac-letran-beat-san-beda-mark-cruz-kevin-racal-ncaa-basketball

AnthonyServinio
07-17-2015, 03:03 AM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_11101451n.jpg?w=150&h=113 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/letran-shocks-san-beda-93-80/)

SAN JUAN City The Letran College Knights continued their surprising performance by scoring their third straight win by downing no less than defending champion and bitter rival San Beda College, 93-80, at the 91st National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) games at the San Juan Arena Thursday (July 16). The Knights under rookie coach Aldin Ayo thus earned a share of the league leadership with idle University of Perpetual Help System-Dalta at 3-0. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/letran-shocks-san-beda-93-80/)

admiral thrawn
07-17-2015, 12:39 PM
It was a great game for Letran. A well deserved W for your boys..and a great learning experience for ours! See you next round brothers. Hoping that the injury of Mark Cruz is not serious.same goes for our Baser!

Arriba Letran
Go San Beda Fight!

Spikermike
07-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Congrats on the win, Knights!

I am becoming more impressed by the so-called "organized chaos" system of Coach Ayo. Truly, it’s a lethal combo of a disruptive pressing type of defense a quick offense. It’s not just a quick transition offense, which is a result of the relentless pressure, but also the swift and nifty passing always looking out for the open man.

The triumvirate of Cruz, Nambatac and Racal flourishes in this type of offense, while bigs Sollano and Apreku seem to thrive as well, getting those open looks from those crisp passing. Coach Ayo’s system maxes out the strengths of your backcourt, while negating the supposed frontcourt weakness (primarily size/ceiling).

See you in the 2nd round.

Arriba Letran!
iAnimo San Beda!

ESCALERA JR.
07-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Its only our 3rd game under a new system and head coach, players are still adjusting. Opening game victim CSBlazers was expected, but winning by a wide margin though was surprising. 2nd win against last year's f4 contender Jru...swerte lang siguro mga bata, malaslang kalaban. But the win against powerhouse RL made me stand up and take note. THE kNIGHTS ARE FOR REAL. Watching the highlights nakita ko yung sinasabi ni coach na larong magulo. Organized chaos indeed, disrupting the inbound passer, trapping defense start tofinish, quick transition, good ball movement, hitting the open man...then connecting with those threes!...and the gunner could be anyone among these guys Cruz, Nambatac, KRACS....and who is this Calvo(di kaya anak ni Fr Vic yan). Mcjouir Luib was a revelation, only 6pts but he was all over lalo na when Nambatac and Cruz were sidelined due to fouls and cramps. Apreku stood his ground kahit disadvantaged which proved enough and so is rookie Sollano. Publico will have his day, hopefully sooner to lend his height and heft in the middle. If we go toe to toe with Perps like this one, then happy days are here....Arrriba!

bugleboy
07-19-2015, 12:00 PM
^^Thanks for the kind words, admiral thrawn and Spidermike. We have to admit, though, that the Knights' task was made easier because of the fact that Amer had to be taken out of the game during the second quarter. If one reviews the stats and the game tape, one would see that the Knights were not able to stop Amer when he was in the game. In fact, despite the limited time that he had, he was still able to score 10 points and issue several assists. Definitely, this is one aspect that the Knights still have to improve on going forward.

The Knights were clearly underestimated, especially by the pundits -- probably because we don't have imports or because the Knights are relatively small, or because our coach is a relative unknown. But credit does belong to the boys and Coach Aldin. Within a short period of time, these guys were able to adapt to a new system and even thrive in it. And people like Apreku, Luib, and Calvo (who languished on the bench in earlier years) were finally given the chance to prove themselves.

So, are the Knights for real? Of course! But before we run too far ahead of ourselves, we have to be mindful that the other teams are formidable competitors as well. I don't think we can take any opponent lightly -- even our opponents on Tuesday, the SSCR Stags.

One game at a time. Play the game your way. Respect your opponents. Hopefully, we may end up in the Final Four or even beyond that.

bugleboy
07-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Why the Knights wear LGR...

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/07/15/1477070/new-brand-block

bugleboy
07-19-2015, 12:18 PM
Here's one sportswriter eating crow... grudgingly. Pero may pambawi pa rin sa huli. :)

https://sportsmaryosep.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/ayo-nized/

bugleboy
08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Ang tagal nawala nitong Gameface. Akala ko phased out na. Anyway, the Knights are now at 8-1 and are on top of the field at the end of the first round. More good news ahead! Mas gugulo pa ang labanan!

ESCALERA JR.
08-17-2015, 07:16 PM
akala ko naman na-banned ako kasi di ako maka log in...

ang daming kwento nakalampas bugle, sana magtuloy sa next rd.

ESCALERA JR.
08-17-2015, 07:16 PM
akala ko naman na-banned ako kasi di ako maka log in...

ang daming kwento nakalampas bugle, sana magtuloy sa next rd.

bugleboy
08-17-2015, 08:06 PM
^Coach Aldin is saying that he has a lot more surprises in store. Dapat lang, since I think the other teams are starting to devise strategies to counter our House of Chaos. We have to keep several steps ahead to keep them guessing. :)

ESCALERA JR.
08-17-2015, 08:34 PM

ESCALERA JR.
08-17-2015, 08:34 PM
who would ever thought we would be on top after the first rd...ang hula ko before the start of the season ay middle of the pack lang, but lo and behold...numero uno! That loss to eac was something i anticipated...madidisgrasya tayo sa isang team na mahina...at nanyari nga. At least it made the games even more interesting and exciting.

derecho letran!

knightrider
08-18-2015, 10:34 AM
What happened? Did the hackers from mainland China attack this site?

AnthonyServinio
08-23-2015, 06:07 PM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/dsc_6537.jpg?w=300&h=200 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/west-is-best-at-ncaa-all-star-game/)

SAN JUAN City Letran College guard Mark Cruz completed a day to remember by canning two free throws with less than a second left to lift the West All-Stars over the East All-Stars, 89-88, at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) All-Star Game Friday (August 21) at the San Juan Arena. Earlier in the day, Cruz displayed his shooting accuracy by ruling the Three-Point Shootout. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/west-is-best-at-ncaa-all-star-game/)

https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/img_20150821_165335.jpg?w=225&h=300 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/west-is-best-at-ncaa-all-star-game/)

bugleboy
08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Olats kahapon. I wasn't able to watch the game, so I can't comment. I was just following the proceedings on Twitter and was surprised to see that we lost an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter.

Oh, well. Bawi na lang sa Biyernes. Arriba pa rin!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/ryan-costelo-shines-san-sebastian-stuns-leader-letran-ncaa-basketball

bugleboy
09-04-2015, 06:23 PM
OK. We got our 10th win today, courtesy of a herculean 26-point effort by Mark Cruz. Sana tuloy-tuloy na ito! Arriba!

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2015/09/04/letran-back-first-cruz-sets-fireworks-show-4589

ESCALERA JR.
09-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Admittedly totoong bias ako lalo na pag Letran ang naglalaro, pero sa tingin ko this yrs edition has become more exciting. Hindi na naka centro ang games sa isa o dalawang teams, each and every school has a chance to beat those that are on the top bracket. Our Knights were not even seeded at the start of the season pero asan tayo at this point... at the top. The 2 losses we have are courtesy of the 2 lowly teams of eac and baste. The middle pack is slowly gaining momentum. Mapua is inching its way up breathing down Jru' neck. Bomber Teytey Teodoro is one exciting player. AU and Perp has 2 of the most versatile players...triple double threats in Thompson and Jalalon. Beda has DLCruz as 'point forward'...a no.4 player that issues several assists. And the smallest guy, our very own 'Antman' who at 5'5" is shooting the lights out with Triples like there 's no tomorrow.

Biased din ako pagdating sa Ncaa. Maybe it helped alot that the Uaap is yet to start their own season. But for now, NCAA is the better league for me.

bugleboy
09-06-2015, 09:22 PM
^Of the teams in the bottom half of the standings, I am most anxious about Mapua. When we beat them in the first round, Nimes was not even around; yet, it took some breaks in the end-game for us to eke out a win.

Their import, Oraeme, is really scary and although free-throws are still a challenge for him to make, he is more than capable in all the other aspects of the game. I'm not sure whether Isit will still be able to come back, but if he will be able to, this will be another thorn on our side.

The other F4-caliber teams -- SBC, Perps, JRU, and Arellano -- will be difficult matches for us, too, precisely because they are strong where we are weak.

Having said all that, I think our team this year has enough maturity and cohesion to weather these challenges. If they continue to believe in themselves and play as a team, if Antman and K-Racs continue to play as if they were trying to impress scouts, if StingRey Nambatac continues his Harden-like play, and if they refuse to entertain the idea of losing... well, there's a good chance that we will be hoisting the 17th banner this year.

ESCALERA JR.
09-07-2015, 09:30 PM
bugle, kabado ako sa remaining 5 games naten. Its a ladder we have to scale down w every game getting tougher by the week.

You are right, MIT has began to crack its shell and becoming a legit contender. Ive watch this Oraema play, boy he is tough as nails!... parang di napapagod itong mamang ito! Paano pa kung sabay pumutok sina nimes at isit.

We need 2 more WINS to get a lock at the semis (f4) buti na lang naka pondo na tayo ng mga panalo.

I have serious doubts if we can repeat over these 3 teams...AU, Perps and Beda. It is hard to sustain the winning streak we had in the first round. We have to get past mit and jru ...but we should get over w the blazers first. The way the best guards of the league are playing right now, its a tall order. Peaking na si Jalalon at thompson. Grabe din nilalaro ni dlaCruz ng beda.

Wag sana masunog si Mark Cruz and KRacs, baka maubos sa bandang huli, i hope not. Time for our homegrowns Nambatac, Mcjour Luib and Quinto to step up their game.

As ive said earlier, 2 more wins we're back sa f4...then another win among any of those 3, Finals is looking good.

ESCALERA JR.
09-07-2015, 09:30 PM
bugle, kabado ako sa remaining 5 games naten. Its a ladder we have to scale down w every game getting tougher by the week.

You are right, MIT has began to crack its shell and becoming a legit contender. Ive watch this Oraema play, boy he is tough as nails!... parang di napapagod itong mamang ito! Paano pa kung sabay pumutok sina nimes at isit.

We need 2 more WINS to get a lock at the semis (f4) buti na lang naka pondo na tayo ng mga panalo.

I have serious doubts if we can repeat over these 3 teams...AU, Perps and Beda. It is hard to sustain the winning streak we had in the first round. We have to get past mit and jru ...but we should get over w the blazers first. The way the best guards of the league are playing right now, its a tall order. Peaking na si Jalalon at thompson. Grabe din nilalaro ni dlaCruz ng beda.

Wag sana masunog si Mark Cruz and KRacs, baka maubos sa bandang huli, i hope not. Time for our homegrowns Nambatac, Mcjour Luib and Quinto to step up their game.

As ive said earlier, 2 more wins we're back sa f4...then another win among any of those 3, Finals is looking good.

bugleboy
09-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Great come-from-behind win yesterday over the CSB Blazers! Although Rey Nambatac looked out of sorts and was missing all kinds of shots, he did make the trey that mattered -- a bank shot from top of the key, that signaled the start of the Letran pull-away. Kevin Racal had a great all-around game and put in the needed points when Mark Cruz and Nambatac were having their hiatus. McJour Luib also played his best game yesterday, scoring 16 points aside from contributing steals and rebounds.

We're now at 11 wins. We just need 4 more wins out of the 5 remaining games to sew up a twice-to-beat advantage. Yun lang, these games will be against the toughest teams in the league. The silver lining is, we beat all these teams in the first round, so the onus is on them to prove that they can beat us. One game at a time! Eyes on the prize! We can do this!

bugleboy
09-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm glad that McJour Luib is finally getting his minutes and is contributing, mainly because he is trusted by our new coach. We will definitely need him and his contributions especially come the Final Four.

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2015/09/11/ayo-says-little-known-luib-letran-s-closer-ant-man-4771

bugleboy
09-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Re that Mapua game that I would much rather forget -- we lost it as much as Mapua won it. We had our chances at open shots and gimmes, we just couldn't sink them.

To be fair to Mapua, Oraeme would usually get the defensive rebounds after our numerous misses, which would inevitably lead to a fastbreak at the other end. Even if one of our guys would be fast enough to catch up with the main Mapua runner, there wouldn't be anybody else to cover the trailer. So, either breakaway layup by Nieles or Menina or drop pass to Serrano. Take your pick.

My sense was that the Cardinals really wanted this more than our boys did. They were fighting for their F4 lives, while we were just fighting to stay as solo leader. I'm afraid, though, that our boys may not have realized the dire predicament that we are now in. Our last four games are against teams that are either as desperate as Mapua (like JRU) or are gunning for clear F4 berths (like AU) or even twice-to-beat advantages (like Perpetual and SBC). Kung pepetiks-petiks pa rin tayo against these guys, baka sa kangkungan tayo pulutin.

I really hope this defeat will put a sense of urgency into the boys. Di pa tapos ang laban. We have not yet accomplished anything. Eyes on the prize, boys! Arriba!

bugleboy
09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Oops. This was what I was afraid of. If we don't watch out, this just might end up as a disastrous second round for us. I'm hoping that Coach Aldin and the boys will be able to adjust in time. Sayang naman kung mapupunta lang sa wala ang magandang panimula.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/paolo-pontejos-sparks-late-jose-rizal-charge-to-bring-down-le-

ESCALERA JR.
09-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Tortuous grind to the finals. 1 more WIN I pray!...to gain foothold sa f4. 2 WINS...we have a chance for a twice to beat. Sweep our last 3 games is a tall order so id settle for one, just ONE win pls...then we'll take it from there.

Worst case scenario...LAGLAG tayo at 11 Wins. Surely we will be overtaken by 3 rampaging teams MIT, AU, PERPS as they have lighter assignments. Ang mga Bombero ni Rizal might even join the fray.

To ease the pressure, a must win against the Chiefs on friday or else... the agony continues.

bugleboy
09-22-2015, 09:05 AM
You're right, ESCALERA JR. It seems that our defense is not that intense this second round, and we don't whip around the ball as much or as fast as we used to.

Mark Cruz, on the other hand, has his own observations:

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/house-chaos-disarray/36625

ESCALERA JR.
09-23-2015, 07:49 PM
That win by baste over the RL has turned things unpredictable going into the homestretch. All 6 teams now have even chances to make headway with a win on friday, while a loss can be disastrous. Looking at the remaining games, mukhang Mapua pa ang may chance mag #1 as their last 2 games are against low seeded teams. Meanwhile, Jru needs to win all remaining games to make it.

Our Kabalyeros have 3 chances. Tayo ang pinaka dehado dito. All the teams have extra big men at their disposal plus they have
all but adjusted to our gameplan. We've been scouted, Nambatac has been checked judging from his dipping performance while Cruz or Kracs is in danger of burnout. Ano ang solusyon?

Mcjour Luib and Bong Quinto should have breakaway games. These 2 ex-Squires former JRr. mvp's must compliment the trio of cruz,nambatac and racal. Gang rebounding by apreku/sollano. Ibalik sa rotaion yung batang Calvo, mukhang may tira naman. And lastly, lalong guluhin ang laro tulad ng mga unang games. Kelangan din ata bumisita si boss Manny sa Arena to perk things up.

Good Luck to our Knights in their remaing games. Arriba to f4.

bugleboy
09-24-2015, 01:50 PM
We go, we go, to victory! To victory we fight!

I'm going to see the game tomorrow, as I expect many alumni (and hopefully, students) will, too. We have to win this one to stay alive!

bugleboy
09-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Whew! What a game. Truth be told, our boys didn't play very well. Lots of unlikely errors by Rey Nambatac, missed open shots and gimmes by Mark Cruz, and sloppy ball handling by McJour Luib. However, the boys, including those mentioned above, picked themselves up by the bootstraps and slowly ate into the rather substantial Arellano lead, and eventually got this win through a combination of tight defense and great freethrow shooting.

There was a bit of luck, too, as Nicholls fouled out toward the end and Holts was also rendered ineffective on defense because of foul trouble. There were lots of missed shots of Arellano in the end game that paved the way for Letran fastbreaks because of offensive rebounds by Sollano and Racal.

But hats off to Felix Apreku! That defensive rebound and putback plus and-one towards the end created the separation we needed to finally put this victory away! Kudos to Coach Aldin for his astute substitution patterns, putting in Apreku for defensive purposes and allowing Racal to rest, and pacing Sollano by putting in Balagasay and Publico in his stead in some stretches. This enabled these two stalwarts to have more gas in the tank in the end game.

Now, on to Perpetual. Obviously, the Perps will be desperate for a win, seeing that they fell to the JRU Bombers yesterday. For me, basta lumaban lang tayo, may mabuting mangyayari sa atin. Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
09-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Yesterdays triple-bill was one of the most exciting elimination games by far. Nerve wracking finishes! Drastic swing of fortunes for winners and loser...the victors getting lifelines while the losers in danger of missing the bus.

However, letran and beda are not out of the woods just yet as ties may ensue ...a 4-way tie may even be possible. The interesting part is the bottom teams can sttill barge the f4 via the backdoor. Au still is within striking distance; jru and mit @10-6 are sure to win their last 2 games w light assignments. Perps has one easy assignment before facing us. If we lose that perps game, its back to the pressure cooker making our final game against the RL a blockbuster.

To simplify things, Ipanalo na naten yang laban next friday.

ESCALERA JR.
09-27-2015, 05:14 AM
I like what the commentators said on coach AYO subbing Kracs for Apreku sa last 2 mins.'Magic Bunot'... and Felix did excactly that by clearing the board, making the pick for a Cruz 3 pointer... then shortly followed up a missed shot ...AND ONE. Lumamang na. Mahgic indeed!

eightyfiver
09-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Accidental bunot. Mandatory substitution kasi si Kevin because of injury timeout. Pero iyon talaga ang turning point. Ganda ng talbog ng bola kay Apreku, ang sipag!

bugleboy
09-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Hmm. I did not notice that Racal was injured, which was why Apreku replaced him. If that was the case, then suwerte talaga! Suwerte rin that Arellano missed so many pointblank shots and open threes toward the end. Kudos, though, to Sollano, Racal and Nambatac for the rebounds during that crucial stretch.

bugleboy
09-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Aba, may sinulat pala si Rick Olivares tungkol sa atin. :)

http://www.bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-old-men-of-letran.html

knightrider
09-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Beautiful article. It captured in essence the "principled victory" mentality that all Knights from the proud institution have in every fiber of their being.

bugleboy
09-29-2015, 02:28 PM
^Yup. Wouldn't it be grand if the Knights make it all the way this season, to translate that "principled victory" into a championship? It would be a great send-off party for Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal and Rey Publico.

Meanwhile, the Ant Man isn't fading off into the sunset just yet. Kudos to him for still giving it his all!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/mark-cruz-earns-second-ncaa-player-week-honor/37492

ESCALERA JR.
10-04-2015, 09:22 PM
The game against the RL on tues. is crucial. The winner takes#1 position. Sanbeda cannot afford to lose this one so expect a hungrier Lions come gametime.

The rescheduled game with Perps is likewise impt moreso for the LasPinas squad. Another loss then they're out. If by any chance alatin tayosa mga ito, there is still a chance to make the cut.

Pero bakit pa naten pahihirapan mga sarili naten, IPANALO NA NATEN yan laban so we can have more time to prepare. We now have the chance to send the Lions back to the woods and the Perps to kingdom come. Arrrriba!

bugleboy
10-05-2015, 12:14 PM
If we win tomorrow, we will have been assured of a twice-to-beat advantage regardless of what happens to the Perps game on Friday. Therefore, we have to win tomorrow so that there will no longer be any complications. If the Red Lions win tomorrow, they will be the ones assured of the twice-to-beat advantage while we still have to win the Perps game to snare the second slot.

I don't even want to think of the possibility of losing both games, as this may mean falling into a situation where we will have to be in a playoff just to stay in the Final Four. St. Dominic de Guzman, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Martin de Porres, San Vicente Liem de la Paz, and all other Dominican saints, pray for us!

ESCALERA JR.
10-06-2015, 07:47 PM
sakit sa mata.... 7 missed free throws at the start. Had we converted these, panalo sana.
Racal not playing his usual game. And so is Nambatac, buti nakabawi nun bandang huli.

Another chance to get that 13th win on friday. Kapag natalo, again another chance as we are all tied at 12 wins with the other 4 teams. We have all the chances. Better seized the opportunity now baka magtampo ang tadhana.

knightrider
10-08-2015, 07:19 AM
We need a win tomorrow to get that twice to beat advantage. We also get back to the top of the heap as we have a better quotient (+9) than the other team. But since ties in the F4 are not decided by quotient but by a resort to a classification game (to determine placings) then expect another game for that (to determine #1, to meet a "weaker" #4). If we lose, provided we don't lose that much, we'll probably end up number 2 or 3 as our quotient appears to be better than the other five contenders. Then we'll go into another classification game to determine # 2 position. It'll virtually be a best of 2 series to enter the Finals. Unless my memory fails me, in the past there was a 3 way tie for 4th place. The team that landed in 6th was stricken off, and the 4th and 5th place team fought a classification game to determine who joined the FF. It's a good thing we won by big margins in the first round and lost by small margins to the contending teams in second. We have a +10 advantage over JRU, a +14 advantage over AU, but -2 over MIT. Going to tomorrow's game, we are + 8 over Perps. I'm no math expert but hopefully the above calculations are correct, sana!

Anyway, go for the win tomorrow!

knightrider
10-08-2015, 07:47 AM
For another scenario, refer to below.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/ncaa-final-four-scenarios

But what is important is that we win tomorrow, or if ever, lose by a small margin. That way, we enter into a classification game for #1 (if we win) or #2 (provided we lose small, that is by 18 points or less) for a twice to beat advantage.

knightrider
10-08-2015, 07:48 AM
St Bede, St Benedict intercede for us for that crucial win!!

bugleboy
10-08-2015, 12:57 PM
^Isama mo na rin si Mary, mother of Perpetual Help. Pray for us!

eightyfiver
10-08-2015, 09:27 PM
The Knights lost focus on their ballgame against the RL. Napunta sa extra-curricular. Nasira tuloy ang laro nila.

Keep your eyes on the prize. Kaunting tiyaga na lang. Arriba Letran!

bugleboy
10-09-2015, 10:44 PM
I think the shots just weren't falling that time. But the shots certainly fell this time around! We eliminated Perps and now, we've got a twice-to-beat advantage! Arriba!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/letran-punches-twice-beat-seat-eliminate-perpetual/38553

bugleboy
10-09-2015, 10:54 PM
For the second game in a row, Jerrick Balanza has had a terrific game, ably filling in for his seniors. Rey Publico finally had a good game, scoring 10 points. Props, too, to Gedaria and even Bernabe. Now, if we can only figure out how to fit Buenaflor back into the coach's good graces ... :)

I just have to say, though, that that closed-fist blow of Ylagan on Quinto was the silliest foul I have ever seen. A close second was that bone-headed rush of Crispin Elopre to the Letran side of the coliseum, nearly instigating a bench-clearing melee. Ano naman kaya ang point ng mga actuation na ito?

I also have to give props to Rey Nambatac -- feverish, with a busted lip and with a near-concussion -- as he still chose to play on despite his aches and pains. Iyan ang palaban!

On to the Final Four! Let's take care of business on Tuesday so we can proceed to the real post-season. Go, fight, Letran! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Bugle, sa tingin ko the coaching staff can use tuesday's game to give the third stringers 'the feel' in preparation for the big games ahead.There's no need to push our Big3 further at this time as we have already secured top seeding. Instead, have them watch from the sidelines, subbing only when the situation calls for stability. Mcjour Luib can handle the point for an extended time...while alternating withCalvo and that guy Genaria, who moves very well w the ball. May compianza yung bata, panay saksak sa loob kahapon kahit may higanteng nakaharang. At yung Bernabe...unang tres, burless! Buenaflor can have his confidence going if only he can be utilize more eh betterano na yan lalo pa si Publico...kasabayan pa pala ng Kevin AlasSayang yung laki, pwede ng pagsabayin with either w sollano o Apreku.
What an exciting elimination rd. To think hindi pa final yung placings, ending up 1st or 2nd doesnt mean anything so long as twice to beat na tayo. Anyways, kahit sino sa Au,mit o jru, parehas na malalakas mga yan. Konti na lang, ayus na!

knightrider
10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Balanza, Calvo, Balagasay and Publico should get more playing time in Tuesday's game to level up their skills and confidence. Medyo meron pang konting jitters. Luib lost his jitters when Coach Ayo used him more this season. Balanza and Calvo have the potential to deliver during clutch situations. The extra exposure may turn that potential into actual asset. It's also another opportunity to try tweaking the rotation and combination, but keeping the cards close to the chest.

Need it be said, we play to WIN!

ESCALERA JR.
10-10-2015, 10:05 PM
knight, that's right - yang apat na yan medyo dagdagan ng playing time sa game on tues. special mention to Jerrick Balanza who has been doing good the past 2 outings. Likewise with Publico.

Meron na naman ginawang kakaiba si coach...having Cruz start the game instead of him coming off the bench. It worked wonders.

...feel sorry for Scotty Thompson, nasayang yung mga triple dbls niya. Too bad he has to face the Knights on his final game, yan tuloy nanyari. He was a marked man right from the start, di na talaga pinaporma. I believe that this was his lowest output the whole season in terms of pts./assists/rebounds. Good luck to this young man, i know he will make Waves in the pros.

bugleboy
10-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I agree with you guys. There really is no point in exposing the Big 3 to possible injuries. Besides, we already have the twice-to-beat advantage and any one of the three teams that we may meet -- Arellano, JRU and Mapua -- is a formidable opponent. I don't think it is possible for us to "choose" who our F4 opponent will be anyway, considering that the fight for placing of third and fourth will take place after our game with SBC.

Yun lang, si coach Ayo has been all over the media saying that paying fans deserve a well-played game at hindi niya type magpatalo sa San Beda, which means he won't hold back any punches. Whether he really means that or he's just playing mind games is something that we will only determine on Tuesday.

ESCALERA JR.
10-13-2015, 09:44 PM
We lost the #1 seed but still looking good @#2 ...who would have thought we would get this far?...And we .almost got away with a come from behind win kung pumasok yung tres ni antman, dramatic ending sana. All is well. Now the post season begins.

Who would we rather play sa f4? Sa tingin ko pipilitin na ng mapua yung laro sa Frid. They would rather play against us than beda to have a greater chance for an upset. Winding up the elim at 1or 2 is immaterial. We dont get to choose,...its the 3 or 4 seed who has that option. Next game. is the most impt game toWIN. Lose this, then bigger pressure would be upon us.

ESCALERA JR.
10-13-2015, 09:44 PM
We lost the #1 seed but still looking good @#2 ...who would have thought we would get this far?...And we .almost got away with a come from behind win kung pumasok yung tres ni antman, dramatic ending sana. All is well. Now the post season begins.

Who would we rather play sa f4? Sa tingin ko pipilitin na ng mapua yung laro sa Frid. They would rather play against us than beda to have a greater chance for an upset. Winding up the elim at 1or 2 is immaterial. We dont get to choose,...its the 3 or 4 seed who has that option. Next game. is the most impt game toWIN. Lose this, then bigger pressure would be upon us.

bugleboy
10-14-2015, 08:02 AM
^No regrets about the loss yesterday. Coach Ayo admitted that he ordered that trey of Mark Cruz. It was an open shot and had a good line. He just missed. That's all. On the other hand, that supposed foul by Quinto on Cabanag was really laughable. I don't know what the NCAA technical committee will do about this but at the very least, our officials should point out this grievous error.

Re our prospective opponent, I think Mapua will really go for the jugular against JRU, and they have the manpower to pull out this win. They are really a match-up problem for us and appear to be peaking at the right time.

But I'm still optimistic! We will win! Arriba!

knightrider
10-14-2015, 01:34 PM
I would prefer to have the Battle of Intramuros take place in the Finals!

ESCALERA JR.
10-14-2015, 03:40 PM
We live...and die with our best player. Mark Cruz waxing hot in the last few minutes almost singlehandedly won the game for us. Would not have it any other way other than the ball in antmans hand. Pero sana hinintay pa niya ng ilang segundo pa at sinipat ng husto...parang minadali... If that shot went in....KAGULO talaga!

Onwards to the Finals....

bugleboy
10-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Today, the Mapua Cardinals disposed of the JRU Heavy Bombers to set a date in the semis with our Knights.

Quite definitely, we will have a match-up problem on our hands as Oraeme is a certified rebounding demon and rim protector. I hope Coach Aldin has a plan on how we will be able to contain this guy and stop their guards like Menina and Isit. They are on a roll right now and if we allow ourselves to be bamboozled on Tuesday, these Cards may just shuffle their way into a Finals stint.

I'm optimistic, however, that our guys will rise to the occasion -- as they have in the Arellano and Perpetual games. Eyes on the prize, boys! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Actually we have 2 problems against Mapua.

#1 biggest problem would be Oraeme. Stopping him from clearing the boards is next to impossible. He does it regularly in every games. How do we contain this? Nah, we cant. He is hauling down 30 rebounds in a game...and consecutively at that, a super human feat.
Solution: just be ready and anticipate a quick transition D.

#2 headache ay ang mga 'minions'...these bulilits can match up very well with our mayhem defense eg. Menina, biteng, isit, nieles, stevens, que etc...they will run, gun, shoot threes. Paano na?

The best way is bait Oraeme early into foul trouble. Hand the ball inside to Publico, sollano,apreku...kahit na balibag pa mga tira ng mga ito just to have Oraeme raise his hand in defense...paturo tayo kay Lim Eng beng sa art of drawing a foul lol...get him to foul out or in foul trouble, then half the problem is solved. tabla-tabla na ang laban. Dapat din mataas a field goal percentage...pag bitaw pasok para di na kelangan ng off rebounds. Practice free thow shooting. Di tulad ng laban nun sa beda, 7 missed free throw sa 1QTR pa lang.

Looking forward to this game. We have the luxury of two chances. If we dont succeed initially, we can try again, at least meron pang bala. ITodo na toh. The Battle of Intramuros begins!

bugleboy
10-18-2015, 09:19 AM
^Spot-on analysis, ESCALERA JR. Looks like Coach Ayo has his work cut out for him.

knightrider
10-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Go Fight! Thumbs Up! (2X) Arriba LETRAN!!!

bugleboy
10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
For the third time in four years, we go up against the San Beda Red Lions for the NCAA crown.

As far as I'm concerned, we have absolutely nothing to lose here. Nobody expected us to go this far anyway; in fact, we were penciled in as either fifth or sixth going into the season. So much for pundits' expert opinions, eh?

Our best player is a 5'6" point guard, while our centers stand no taller than 6'5" in their sneakers. Our coach is a relative unknown and started with the team only this school year.

Ranged against us are the 5-time champs, led by two PBA first-round draftees. They have not one, but two, imports who are both solid contributors and not just rebounding monsters.

I wouldn't blame anybody for conceding this series to the Red Lions even before the buzzer sounds for the first game.

And yet...

I cannot discount the fighting spirit of the Knights. They have come so far together that stopping now and congratulating themselves for just coming this far would be considered so out of character. Rather, the thinking is, we've come this far, we might as well finish the job with the 17th title!

And so... despite the fact that we are lacking in height, we will never want in heart. Even though we may lack championship experience, we will never want in terms of grit, and spunk, and overwhelming desire. And if we are able to put all these together, God willing, we will prevail!

Once more into the breach, boys! Eyes on the prize! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-22-2015, 08:07 PM
History unfolding!

The RL are gunning for a 6peat. Our Knights out to do a spoilers role anew by trying to foil what no other team has achieved in the leagues 91 yrs of existense. Rewind 18 yrs years back, the mighty golden Stags were on the brink of that historic feat only to be ambushed bythe gallant LetranKnights.

Parang ginuhit sa tadhana magtapat itong dalawang koponang ito. Sa dinami dami ba namang mas higit na malakas na kalaban, ang di inaasahang mga taga muralla pa ang nangibabaw. Only 1 team is destined for greatness...a record breaking 6peat, or a pure homegrown
fighting squad?

whatever the outcome, whoever emerges the victor will be one for the books.

knightrider
10-23-2015, 01:17 PM
C--S--J--L! C-S-J-L!! Arriba LETRAN!!!

AnthonyServinio
10-24-2015, 01:33 AM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_11101451n.jpg?w=150&h=113 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/10/24/finals-letran-takes-opener-94-90/)

PASAY CITY In his final days as a collegiate player, Kevin Racal made sure he would exit with aplomb as he carried the Letran Knights to a 94-90 win over the defending champion San Beda Red Lions in Game One of the best-of-three championship series of the 91st National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) at the SM Mall of Asia Arena Friday (October 23). The Knights also found heroes in Mark Cruz and Rey Nambatac as they pushed the school to their first championship since last taking home the trophy in 2005. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/10/24/finals-letran-takes-opener-94-90/)

eightyfiver
10-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Classic ball game. Arriba Letran!

bugleboy
10-24-2015, 12:50 PM
^Classic game, indeed! The crowd was adequately entertained by the virtual shoot-out in the fourth quarter, and I was heartened to see that the boys did not let up. They kept plugging away, especially on the offensive boards and loose ball recoveries, and so came away with the win.

I think the key point in this victory, aside from the torrid shooting of the Knights and the rather weak defense offered by the Red Lions, is the overall lack of quality ballhandlers on the SBC side. It seems that people like Sara, Tongko and Koga are better at looking for their own shots rather than advancing and distributing the ball. Good for us, of course, because we were able to force around 30 turnovers on them. It also helped that their coach Jamike Jarin kept shuffling people around, effectively preventing anybody (except Ola) from establishing any sort of rhythm. Let's hope that this pattern holds on Tuesday so that we will finally get our 17th banner.

Kudos to Kevin Racal for having the game of his life yesterday. Kudos, too, to McJour Luib, who came through for us when we were floundering about for points. And of course, how can one forget the Antman -- Mark Cruz -- or StingRey Nambatac or Jom Sollano or Bong Quinto or the indefatigable Felix "The Cat" Apreku? These guys all played their hearts out yesterday, and deserve all the accolades. One cannot under-estimate also the tactical prowess and the motivational abilities of our coaching staff, beginning with head coach Aldin Ayo, as well as the inspirational effect of our team manager, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

Now we are in an enviable twice-to-beat situation. But I would rather that the boys finish this on Tuesday so that we can call this the end of our magical season. Mahirap na, baka ma-motivate pa ang mga Bedista.

Let's go for the jugular on Tuesday. Huwag na nating buhayin pa.

ESCALERA JR.
10-25-2015, 04:10 AM
McJour LUIB's breakout game. Breaking the ice for the Knights w/ a twisting layup sidestepping hulking Ola. Naka 7 puntos na siya in that stretch alone sa 1QTR. Mataas na ang confidence level niya so Nakipag sabayan na din sa shootout. What a joy to watch yung palitan ng tres. Meron sagot sa bawat tira ng magkabila. No doubt he will inherit the throne, he and Nambatac as the heir apparent when Cruz and Racal leaves camp.

What can i say about Kracs...statement game! He has been struggling against the RL in the 2 previous duel pero humataw ng husto sa larong ito. That follow up on his own miss was the dagger piercing the lions heart. Gumagalaw pa when Cruz split his charities but Stingrays spin move put the last nails on the coffin.

Kudos also to the hardworking Sollano, Apreku and Quinto...these are unheralded guys who are silently towing behind the stellar performances of the big 3, but their contributions on the defensive end are enormous.

Oonga pala muntikan ko na malimutan...laking bagay talaga pagbisita ng Manny Pacquiao! may kasamang swerte tong si the PACMAN. What a time to finally come and see for himself his latest 'alaga' doing superbly well - the Letran Knights coming to its own against all odds.
Before the game, even before the start of the season totoong dehadong dehado tayo sa labanang ito. But we are now just one game away from that 17th banner. If we finally nail this on tues. this might yet be the sweetest victory of them all!

La Palabra de la Victoria...uno-dos-tres...ARRIBA LETRAN!!!

bugleboy
10-26-2015, 03:36 PM
While things are imploding over at the red sub-forum, let's just take a cue from Coach Aldin and take a chill pill:

http://www.bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2015/10/those-hustling-tough-letran-knights.html

knightrider
10-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Letran Forever...Onward to Victory! Arriba LETRAN!!!

ESCALERA JR.
10-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Our 17th NCAA banner. Let get this one...ToKNIGHT is the KNIGHT!

A R R I B A LETRAN!!!

knightrider
10-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Our 17th NCAA banner. Let get this one...ToKNIGHT is the KNIGHT!

A R R I B A LETRAN!!!

Sa Thursday Knight pa po! Arriba LETRAN!!!

ESCALERA JR.
10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Nasira ang momentum knight...nag swing back in their favor.
And what an atrocious free throw shooting, missing both charities in the crucial stretch. And this one-ZERO production from Nambatac!!!
Well, looking forward to another chance this thurs.
Arriba lang ng arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Arriba lang ng arriba

knightrider
10-28-2015, 06:53 AM
From the get -go, medyo gigil ang Knights. Yung movements somewhat tentative early on. Perhaps the pressure to get the crown in the second game took its toll. Even Racal was running on second gear. Nambatac naman medyo minalas. But I give it too the Stingray, he played with all heart. Anyway, iba sigurado ang istorya sa third game. Mas gutom sila. Ang gutom makikipagpatayan. This team has shown that when its back is against the wall, like grand knights of old, the swords are drawn from the scabbard, and once swung, nothing can stand in their wake! Todo arriba, mga Letranista!

ESCALERA JR.
10-29-2015, 04:46 AM
This is it...the final game for NCAA season'91. What a ride it was, not the roller coaster kind, but a hi-speed yet steady, cruising smooth one as we maintained our position all througout. Whatever the outcome, am proud of what rookie coach Aldin Ayo has achieved.

Unknown to many before the start of the season, he has gained respect in the collegiate basketball circle by turning the ragtag Letran team to a contender. If he wins it all tonite, his popularity will surge several notches higher it might even eclipse his former mentor's popularity - the explosive coach Louie ALAS in the letran community....hindi na siya yung provincial coach na napadpad lang sa Maynila. Ang galing galing mo talaga kots!

Goodluck to our LetranKnights...ARRIBA!
Best of luck coach Aldin Ayo...AYUS!!!

bugleboy
10-29-2015, 06:16 AM
I prefer to look at things this way -- the Red Lions came at us hammer-and-tongs, and just came out with a 7-point victory. This, despite the obvious off-night of Nambatac. Basically, it was Ant Man doing most of the damage for Letran, with Sollano and Luib providing points support. Si Racal, medyo off din. Despite all that, humabol pa rin.

Kaya iyan! Kumpiyansa lang!

As for Coach Aldin, kudos to you! You have molded this team into one cohesive fighting unit! This is the day when we make history!

Arriba!

Spikermike
10-29-2015, 07:15 PM
What a game! What a series! What a season! But only one champion can be crowned.

Congratulations, to the AntMan and the rest of the Letran Knights! Hats off to your brave and gallant players.

We will see you next year!!

To the Letranistas here in the Round Table, you have my respect and congratulations as well.

genom222
10-29-2015, 07:26 PM
That was one hell of a ballgame and you guys have one hell of a team, congrats!

Rematch tayo next year ha!

ridgemark
10-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Congratulations Knights! You deserve the crown! You have the heart of a Champion.. the heart of a true Knight!
See you next season.

AnthonyServinio
10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/jgf_7043.jpg?w=300 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/letran-is-back-on-top/)

PASAY CITY After ten years, Colegio de San Juan de Letran is back as National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) champions! The Knights dethroned five-time champion San Beda College, 85-82, in overtime in Game Three of the best-of-three series Thursday (October 29) at the SM Mall of Asia Arena. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/letran-is-back-on-top/)

MrM
10-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Congratulations Letran!!

Kaming lahat sa Katipunan ay naiinggit sa galing ng head coach ninyo, haha! Cheers! :)

ridgemark
10-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Congratulations Knights! You deserve the crown! You have the heart of a Champion.. the heart of a true Knight!
See you next season.

bugleboy
10-29-2015, 09:55 PM
This morning, someone in Taga Letran Ka Kung... wrote, "St. Vincent Liem dela Paz, pray for us!" Then another person (writing under the name of Vicente Liem dela Paz) replied, "I will."

I laughed while reading it, but still silently whispered a prayer for the Knights. And since I'm out of the country at this time, and without access to TFC, I could only rely on Twitter feeds and FB updates. I was pleasantly surprised at the answered prayer. How sweet it is! Finally, our 17th title!

Thanks to our graduating Knights -- Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal and Rey Publico. May your futures be as bright as the legacy that you will leave behind. Thanks to Coach Aldin, who never stopped believing that the boys could do this.

And to our worthy adversaries, the San Beda Red Lions -- our thanks, too, for a well-fought title series. Allow us first to savor this, and then we can start thinking of a possible rematch next year.

knightrider
10-30-2015, 03:16 AM
Coach Louie must be proud of his former back to back champion player. Coach Ayo has surpassed the master by bringing three notches higher Alas' vaunted man to man to Ayo's full mayhem defense. Yun pala ang sagot sa mga domineering imports like Akhuette, Oraeme, and Adeogun. The "never give in-never give up" mentality is back with vengeance. Congrats to the All Filipino Champion Knights!!! Kudos to Coach Ayo!!! Ayos ka talaga!!! You were a back to back champion as a player! Do it also as a coach! Arriba LETRAN!!!

bluebruiser90
10-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Congrats to the Letran Knights!!

I'm a very big fan of your coach. Lahat naman kami sa Katipunan big fan ng magagaling na coaches.

BedanRoar
10-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Congrats Letran Knights!

Arriba Letran....Animo San Beda!!!

bluebruiser90
10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Congrats to the Letran Knights!!

I'm a very big fan of your coach. Lahat naman kami sa Katipunan big fan ng magagaling na coaches.

The_Big_Cat
10-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Congratulations to the Letran Knights for winning the Season 91 championship. Well deserved and long overdue. Pinahirapan niyo pa ang mga sarili nyo at dinaan pa sa overtime. To me the MVP should have been Kevin Racal. He's the biggest factor in your wins against the Red Lions. Its just ashamed that Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal will not be with your team come PCCL this November and display your firepower against the UAAP squads.

Congrats again.

ESCALERA JR.
10-30-2015, 02:20 PM
What A fairytale ending...our Letran Knights finally securing our 17th NCAA Crown.

First off, congrats mga ka-dugong arriba- bugleboy and knightrider w yours truly, ang big3 ng Rd Table kasi wala namng iba dito...tayong tatlo lang talaga regulars dito maliban kay eightyfiver na pasundot sundot mag post sa thread naten. This season91 is such a magical ride tanggal lahat ng hinagpis at sakit ng three failed tries in 2007, 2012-13. Sana wag na maulit ang ganitong klaseng bakbakan...ang sakit sa dibdib, delikado ma istroke!

Hats off to the Sanbeda RL for putting up a vicious thrilling comeback with less than 2mins left and almost pulling the rug from under. Kung nagkataon, ER bagsak ko. It made our victory even much sweeter winning at O.T. If its any consolation for you guys, you have 2 future stars in the making in Baser Amer and DlCruz sa pros.

Maraming salamat kina AnTMan, KRacs at ang batang batang si Publico for donning the letran colors. Goodluck. And of course, coach Aldin AYO... hulog ka ng langit samin. You restored the faith and belief in this team. Ikaw lang ang naniniwala dati, ngayon ang buong Letran community ay dinala mo sa iyong balikat...at Biceps.

Special mention to SOLLANO, the unheralded hero of this series quietly proving that even at 6'4" can match up with the bigger and taller Africans. You and the rest of the holdovers, nambatac, luib, quinto, calvo will hold the forth in the coming battles. These support group is the bulk of the now famous MAYHEM, founded season91.

For now our 17th Banner proudly waves in the rafters. ARRIBA LETRAN.

Ps. Boss Pacman, paano naman kami...