PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Asian Games Men's Basketball Tournament in Korea

genom222
09-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Subok lang. What can you sa so far of the team's performance in this year's Asian Games? We defeated the Indians (though it should have been a bigger rout) in the first game. Then lost our 2nd game against Iran who has had our number in these tourneys the past couple of years. We could have won the game if it not for better end game execution and coaching. At 1-1 we will now be grouped in Group H with Kazakhstan, Qatar and host Korea. The other group, Group G, has Iran, China, Japan and surprise team Mongolia (Chinese Taipei was booted out early maybe due to having an incomplete team). Top two from each group advances to play the semifinal round.

We should be able to defeat Qatar and Kazakhstan, both of which also fell victims to Gilas last year in Manila. Korea will be very hard to defeat only because of the home court advantage. I do predict we will top this group and likely face China in the semis (I see Iran toping the other group). Hopefully we overcome the Chinese and setup a final meet with Iran for the GOLD.

For me we have the players needed to get the gold. We just need better end game execution and coaching, same problems we had in the Worlds last month.

Here is the remaining schedule for the quarterfinals:

Sep 26 PHI vs Qatar @ 5:30pm (Manila time)
Sep 27 PHI vs Korea @ 1:00pm (Manila time)
Sep 28 PHI vs Kazakhstan @ 2:30pm (Manila time)

Laban Pilipinas! PUSO!

sump
09-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, chances are now much more difficult, especially after the coach's public outburst against his own naturalized player.

genom222
09-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Yup i don't really understand what Chot is trying to do. Throwing his own player under the bus? Letting his pride takeover the need to play his biggest player?

But we still have a chance, we need to take care of business and win by more than 10 tom vs Kazahkstan and hope Korea wins over Qatar. Kaya pa pero mejo kapit na sa patalim.

sump
09-28-2014, 09:38 AM
One of the worst that could happen in a tournament is putting your team in a situation where their fate is determined by other teams' wins or losses.

Regarding Marcus, has his coach forgotten the basic management dictum of praise in public, chastise in private??

Norman Black for Gilas head coach!

sump
09-28-2014, 04:35 PM
An 18-point lead versus KAZ disappears just like that.

So what else is new?

genom222
09-28-2014, 04:59 PM
5 straight 4th quarter mealtdowns in this Asian games. Sakit na yan since World Cup.

sump
09-28-2014, 08:26 PM
So mukhang hindi na sa players ang problema.

If it's any indication, no one from the coaching staff, not even the head coach, knew na hindi pwedeng tumira sa goal ng kalaban. True, Jimmy Alapag asked the refs, and one I think said na pwede, pero na-overturn ng other ref, na tama pala per FIBA rules.

Shouldn't at least one of the Gilas coaching staff know the FIBA rules by heart, forward and backward?

genom222
09-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Sayang talaga. If won against korea kahapon and won today top sana tayo. And then we would have met Japan which is a better chance for us to advance in tye gold medal game. Kaso we will now end up meeting a dethroned china and hope for a 5th place finish at the most.

sump
09-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Kung player skills and talent lang naman, kayang-kaya ng Gilas ang Japan. Sobrang sayang talaga!

During the game vs. KAZ, we could have maintained our necessary 11-point lead (or even surpass it) kung mas timely lang ang pagtawag ng timeout and also the use of our fouls to give para mahinto ang fast break ng KAZ. But it came to a point that we had to shoot in their goal in the hope of going OT. Very sad and painful.

sump
09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
That's it pancit!

Goodbye Gilas, loses to China 71-78.

Congrats and thanks to our national players for their sacrifice and hard work.

Better luck next time!

genom222
09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm sure fatigue, stressed na rin ang team kaya natalo. Start looking forward to the FIBA asia tourney next year. We will have Blatche and for sure some changes in this current team. Will Chot stay on? Is he willing after all that has happened?

sump
09-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Meron pa palang game against Mongolia tomorrow. I wonder how that will pan out?

Dahil sa ginawa ni Chot kay Kuya Marcus, sobrang daming fans ang nagalit sa ating dakilang coach. Baka lumiit nang husto ang fan base ng Gilas if Chot stays on.

I think the most honorable thing to do is for him to tender his resignation.

nel
09-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Chot Reyes talks about a development program. What program? Which players are we really developing?

All our players are from the PBA, and save for Paul Lee, are probably already in their late 20s. Alapag is in his mid-30s and in his last tournament. The shelf life of most of the players is probably a couple of years more at most. And there's no pool of understudies waiting in the wings. That's a development program?

We just lost to a young Chinese team with an average age of 21. China didn't send their A-Team, instead they sacrificed this year to give their young players that valuable international exposure. We had our best team out there, yet we lost. Watch out for this Chinese team in 2 years. Our Gilas team in 2 years? Probably like overripe fruit, past their prime.

And just what is Gilas but a group of part-timers who take time off from their teams for the occasional international tournaments. A group of players loosely called a national team (oops, not the PH national team but a commercial - Smart Gilas) who train together for a few weeks a year. BTW why is our national team named after a brand? Is it a club team? Why can't we call it just simply the PH national team? Why does it have to be commercialized?

What results did we have in the FIBA world cup? One win over a team ranked below us. The other games? All losses. The fact that we led other teams at some point in the games is a matter of pride for us? Moral victories don't count in the W-L tally.

In the Asian Games? We were expecting to compete for the gold. One lousy win, again over India, a lower ranked team. Needing to win by 11 or more, we had a disappointing 2pt victory over Khazakstan after we led by double digits, which caused us more embarrassment because we didn't know that it's not allowed to intentionally shoot into the opponent's goal. On Wednesday we're playing Mongolia to salvage what, 7th place? That's success? We led other teams by double digits, and our best pros coughed up the leads to agonizingly lose in the end. We lost to teams we were expected to beat. Can we honestly say that we're proud of that "achievement"? And Chot Reyes has the nerve to say that this performance, while disappointing, was nothing to be ashamed of? How can we not be embarrassed by that performance? BTW the blame for the poor results is now being shifted to the officiating (one particular ref was even singled out) and injuries. What happened to "no excuses"?

Toroman, in retrospect, had a program. He had a full time team which trained and stayed together for 2 years before his program was discontinued. Wonder how that same team would be performing today if they were kept intact? Toroman was very experienced in the international game, and his team played like it. Put Blatche in that lineup and chances are they would have more than 1 win in the World Cup and the Asian Games.

Time to overhaul the "development program" again. For the nth time. Start with the coach. And change the strategy altogether. If we don't change our PBA styled game and just continue with the so-called "development program", expect similar results in the next international tournament we participate in. Our style hasn't worked in the past, doesn't work in the present as seen from the Asian Games and World Cup results, and won't work in the future.

Let's get a coach who knows how international basketball is really played. And young players who are willing to commit to the national team as their priority and not as a sideline on loan from their mother teams. Keep them together for a few years, compensate them well, and have a feeder system to identify and recruit understudies. Then perhaps we'll have a real honest-to-goodness development program.

In the meantime let's not delude ourselves about our achievements. There aren't any to talk about. And let's not talk about a "development program" as if we really had one, because we aren't developing anyone among the grizzled veterans who populate our so-called Gilas 'national team'.

sump
09-30-2014, 03:10 PM
^^ Amen, amen.

genom222
10-03-2014, 10:03 PM
So Korea wins the Gold in this edition of the Asiad winning over Iran 79-77. I still feel like we are the better team than SoKor (ok maybe better talent) and this pains me even more. I agree with Coach Yeng, lets focus on Asia first and the Worlds and Olympics will just be icing on the cake. I want us to be dominant in Asia again and we are closer now than compared to 5 years ago.