PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 77: Unity in Excellence

gensankid
07-10-2014, 05:50 PM
It’s that time of the year again. College basketball aficionados will once again find their afternoon TV viewing experience more fun and more action packed as the UAAP Season 77 Men’s Basketball Games commence on July 12, 2014 (Saturday) at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

This year's host the University of The East chose "Unity in Excellence" as UAAP Season 77's theme. Indeed, the 8 participating teams unite in one common goal, to become excellent competitors on and off the court.

Speaking of the teams, when you take a look at their respective line-ups/rosters, you will see the level of excellence that they put in building their squads leading to the UAAP Season.

Adamson University (AdU) Falcons lineup

Matthew Aquino
Alexis Barrera
John Baytan
Harold Butron
Francis Donahue
Christian Garcia
John Gumtang
Alejandrino Inigo
Ryan Monteclaro
Joseph Nalos
Dawn Ochea
Jessiery Pedrosa
William Polican
Jansen Rios
Don Trollano
Ivan Villanueva

Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU) Blue Eagles lineup

John Apacible
Anton Asistio
Gideon Babilonia
Gwynne Capacio
Clint Doliguez
Nico Elorde
Ponso Gotladera
Jay Javelosa
Isaac Lim
Chris Newsome
Von Pessumal
Kris Porter
Kiefer Ravena
Thirdy Ravena
Paul Siarot
Arvin Tolentino
Vince Tolentino

De La Salle University (DLSU) Green Archers lineup

Yutien Andrada
Rob Bolick
Kib Montalbo
Terrence Mustre
Jason Perkins
Prince Rivero
Matt Salem
Julian Sargent
Jeron Teng
Norbert Torres
Thomas Torres
Abu Tratter
Arnold Van Opstal
Almond Vosotros

Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraws lineup

Mark Belo
Carl Cruz
Jason David
Jesson Delfinado
Vince Denila
Ron Dennison
Russel Escoto
Richard Escoto
Anthony Hargrove
Alejandro Inigo
Joel Lee Yu
Roger Pogoy
Francis Tamsi
Mike Tolomia
Reeve Ugsang

National University (NU) Bulldogs lineup

JJ Alejandro
Gelo Alolino
Alfred Aroga
Raphael Atangan
Henri Betayene
JP Cauilan
Reden Celda
Rev Diputado
Paolo Javelona
Glenn Khobuntin
Kyle Neypes
Tristan Perez
Troy Rosario
Mohamad Salim
Ralph Tansingco
Dave Yu

University of the East (UE) Red Warriors lineup

Dan Alberto
Edgar Charcos
Zyron Cudal
RR De Leon
Clark Derige
Pedrito Galanza
Daryll Guiang
Ivan Hernandez
Chris Javier
Gino Jumaoas
Charles Mammie
Moustapha Arafat
Mark Olayon
Emil Palma
Roi Sumang
Paul Varilla

University of the Philippines (UP) Maroons lineup

Amani Amar
Henri Asilum
Vince Bederi
Diego Dario
Carlo Escalambre
JR Gallarza
Moriah Gingerich
Nomer Gonzales
Paul Harris
Mark Juruena
Kyles Lao
Jarrell Lim
Dave Moralde
Martin Pascual
Mikee Reyes
Chris Vito

University of the Sto. Tomas (UST) Growling Tigers lineup

Karim Abdul
Regie Basibas
Ed Daquioag
Levi Dela Cruz
Jeepy Faundo
Kevin Ferrer
Alfren Gayosa
Kent Lao
Kim Lo
Jan Macasaet
Aljon Mariano
Paulo Pe
Raymart Sablan
Sheak Sheriff
Renz Subido
Louie Vigil

Sam Miguel
08-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Big cage week for National U

By Jasmine W. Payo |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 3:12 am |

Tuesday, August 5th, 2014

National University surprisingly dominated both the UAAP men and women’s basketball just a week before the first round of the eliminations wraps up.

The unbeaten Lady Bulldogs rolled to their fifth straight victory after whipping Far Eastern University, 56-40, in women’s action over the weekend at Blue Eagle Gym in Quezon City.

Kristine Abriam fired 16 points and Afril Bernardino posted a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds to power NU.
Defending champion La Salle joined the Lady Bulldogs on top at 5-0 by downing rival Ateneo, 48-39, behind Cass Santos and Trisha Piatos.

The Bulldogs also claimed the solo top spot with a 5-1 record in the men’s tournament.

Cameroonian center Alfred Aroga, named as the UAAP Press Corps-Accel Quantum Plus/316 Player of the Week, came up with big plays both in the Bulldogs’ 37-point blasting of Adamson, 62-25, and in their heart-stopping escape over University of the East, 57-55.

“I can’t talk like an individual player because everything that matters is the team,” said Aroga, who averaged 11.5 points, 10 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in six games.

Even in juniors volleyball, the Bullpups shared the early lead with the 10-time champion Junior Warriors at 3-0.

The Junior Warriors drubbed La Salle Zobel, 25-12, 25-18, 25-17, and overwhelmed tournament newcomer FEU-Diliman, 25-17, 25-7, 25-13, in the boys’ division.

The Bullpups stretched their perfect run by tripping University of Santo Tomas, 24-26, 25-16, 25-22, 26-24, and University of the Philippines, 25-12, 25-16, 25-19.

In girls’ action, defending champion UST clipped Adamson, 25-20, 25-21, 25-22, for its second straight triumph.

Sam Miguel
08-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Ateneo tests UST; UAAP suspends UP Maroons coach

By Jasmine W. Payo |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 3:05 am |

Wednesday, August 6th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — The misery continues for the University of the Philippines as the winless squad tries to do without suspended coach Rey Madrid for the rest of the first round in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao yesterday slapped Madrid a two-game suspension starting Wednesday for accusing the league referees of point shaving, a type of match fixing linked to gambling.

“He did not offer any proof of his allegations and I have to make him accountable for his actions and words,” said Jao.

The blow came just as the Maroons clash with defending champion La Salle at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Ateneo, which eyes a share of the lead, tangles with University of Santo Tomas in the second game at 4 p.m.

The Maroons, who haven’t won in 26 games since 2012, will also miss Madrid in their final first-round assignment against Adamson on Saturday.

Madrid plans to appeal the suspension, noting that he already apologized for his post-game comments where he alleged the referees were involved in match fixing during the Maroons’ loss to University of Santo Tomas, 57-73, last Saturday

“I think it’s too harsh,” said Madrid. “I already apologized for what I have done and even talked to him (Jao) personally. I just aired my view on what can be improved on the officiating.”

While the Maroons try to adjust without their coach, the Archers may also have to do without their two star centers again.

The Archers shoot for a fourth straight victory with injured big men Arnold Van Opstal (achilles injury) and Norbert Torres (sprained ankle) likely sitting out for the second straight game.

La Salle coach Juno Sauler said Van Opstal and Torres’ status remains “day-to-day” as both have been advised to rest for week.

Although the Archers are heavily favored, Sauler said he’s more focused on improving their game after sub-par performances from Jeron Teng and Jason Perkins in their 67-48 thumping of Adamson.

“It’s not really who we play but what we want to accomplish,” said Sauler.

Sam Miguel
08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Ateneo Starts Badminton Title Defense in Style

ATENEO opened its back-to-back men's title bid in style with a 4-1 victory over University of Santo Tomas (UST) yesterday in UAAP Season 77 badminton tournament at the Rizal Memorial Badminton Hall.

Carlo Remo fashioned out a 21-17, 22-20 win over John Paul Yabut in a battle of rookies in the first singles to give the Blue Eagles the head start.

Reigning MVP Patrick Natividad breezed through Lee Sabanal, 21-10, 21-17 in the second singles before Ateneo clinched the tie when the doubles tandem of Justin Natividad and Theo Co outlasted JM Sotea and PJ Pantig, 21-14, 12-21, 21-12.

Patrick Gecosala and Patrick Natividad bowed to Keith Reyes and Patrique Magnaye, 20-22, 14-21, in the second doubles before Justin Natividad wrapped things up the final singles with a 21-9, 20-22, 21-16 decision over Pantig.

In the other ties, Season 75 titlist National University clipped University of the Philippines, 4-1, De La Salle beat Adamson, 4-1, and University of the East stunned Far Eastern University, 3-2. (Theodore P. Jurado)

Sam Miguel
08-12-2014, 11:27 AM
UAAP commissioner rues 64 fouls called in Ateneo-UE game, but says it was 'excessive for both sides'

August 11, 2014, 04:06 pm

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao says he immediately called the referees' attention to the fouls called on Ateneo and UE on Sunday, which he felt were 'excessive.'

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao said he was not happy with the number of fouls called during the game between Ateneo and University of the East on Sunday, but said he felt the fouls "were excessive for both sides."

Jao said he immediately called the referees' attention to the 64 fouls called in the game, which led to a combined 75 free throw attempts for the Blue Eagles and the Red Warriors, in an overtime game that dragged on for almost three hours.

“I saw that and actually I thought both of them had too many free throws. They (Red Warriors) had 30, the other (Blue Eagles) had 45. That is why the game was so long,” Jao told Spin.ph on Monday.

The Blue Eagles were able to mount a comeback from 21 points down to come away with a 93-91 overtime win over the Red Warriors in a thrilling but dragging game that pushed back the end of the other double-header between La Salle and University of Santo Tomas past 7 p.m.

On Sunday, UE coach Derrick Pumaren lamented after the game the 45 free throws awarded to Ateneo — including 25 given to Blue Eagles star Kiefer Ravena which were just five less than the free throws of the entire Red Warriors combined. [See Pumaren left to rue 45 free throws awarded to Ateneo - and 25 for Ravena]

But for Jao, the total free throws were too much, not just for Ateneo but for UE as well. “For me, it’s excessive for both sides,” said Jao. Jao, however, said the number of fouls wasn’t due to the way the game was called by the officials alone, but also due to the way UE and Ateneo played.

“UE has a tendency to commit fouls because they press almost all the way. They have a tendency to get into penalty quickly." On the other hand, Jao said "Ateneo had to defend (Charles) Mammie.”

Jao said he understands Pumaren's frustration after the game. “I have a lot of respect for coach Derrick," said the longtime television analyst and basketball official. "He isn’t the kind of person that will make an excuse about officiating.”

Sam Miguel
08-12-2014, 11:31 AM
^^^ Good thing Andy Jao is a student of the game and understands inherently how this many fouls got whistled. He should just watch the video and see if the fouls were legit fouls, and if they consistently called on both ends. If those were mostly legit fouls, and they were mostly consistent, then that is that. It made for ugly basketball but what else is there to be done? If it is a legit foul then the only thing to be done is to whistle the damn foul. If it turned out to be 64 fouls then that's just how it is.

Dark Knight
08-21-2014, 03:54 PM
But still Ateneo almost always has the advantage in foul calls.

Makes people wonder. Most are hello kitty fouls even.

mrjumbo03
08-21-2014, 10:49 PM
^It's because Ateneo barely commits ticky tacky fouls. It's more of just being disciplined and exercising restraint in defense. Using your feet rather than your hands.

Take yesterday's game for example. Sumang whacks Newsome as he drives even if he didn't have to as Mammie was already there. De Leon goes for an awkward gamble and ends up hitting Newsome in the arm. Newsome leaves Guiang behind, Guiang then elbows/pushes his back. Mammie extends his shoulder and levels Newsome, while giving a screen. A lot of those fouls are just stupid. Kung naglalaro ka na laro-laro lang na may pustang ice tubig at walang referee, oo pwede yung mga yun. Pero in an official game, with 3 referees, there is no sense doing those things. Ilang fouls na yung nalista ko? At ilang freethrows na nagresult from there? That's just off the top of my head. Ang dami pa nilang bonehead plays. Then they have the audacity to complain about the freethrows he shot.

Joescoundrel
08-22-2014, 09:56 AM
It has a lot to do with the Pumaren system that is founded on that antiquated 2-2-1 full court press.

Hanggang ngayon andami nilang holding and grabbing and bumping sa denial pa lang ng inbound, at pagka-inbound 'yung trapping man nila kapit ng kapit sa binabantayan niya, 'yung taga-quick help ganun din, minsan babanggain pa, mahuli ka ng referee ano pa ba gagawin nung tao kundi ipito ka for a foul?

Ang inangal ni Roi sa akin bakit daw siya iilan lang ang freethrow nung nabigyan ng 25 FTs si Kiefer, samantalang mas nagda-drive naman daw siya kesa kay Kiefer. Problema sa drive ni Roi bumabali and/or bumobomba pa siya, madali't sabi pinapakita niya sa refs na umiiwas talaga siya sa contact. Si Kiefer hangga't mapapasabit pinapasabit niya, kesehodang tumawag or hindi.

Iba pa din 'yung kay Jeron versus Ateneo, at 'yung kay Newsome versus UE Round 2. In both cases reward the aggressive drive ang mga nakita ko sa referees. Kapag nagda-drive kasi itong dalawa talagang sagasa na kung sagasa, go hard talaga, palibhasa parehong malalakas ang pangangatawan, that is why although they do draw fouls, sometimes they also get called for charging. Si New in both Ateneo-Lasalle games foul trouble because of those charging fouls.

Bottom line ang may kasalanan ng freethrow disparity ang mga Pumaren pa din. They are making their boys play a system that, after nine games already, has proven to be hazardous to their team foul situation, yet they continue to do it. Ayaw pa nilang turuan si Roi na mag-go hard imbes bumali at bumomba sa drives niya. Best perimeter ang Ateneo with Kiefer, Von, New, may Elorde pa na marunong magdala ng bola, pati na din si Arvin, marunong din bumaba sa gitna si Ponso sa press break. Only a fool would insist on pressing this kind of an opponent.

Joescoundrel
09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
NU starflyer hospitalized after bad fall

(The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 8, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - After suffering from a bad fall while attempting a complex routine during practice last month, NU Bulldogs Pep Squad starflyer Claire Cristobal is back in her usual grind.

The 18-year-old Atlag, Malolos, Bulacan pride, who wowed the crowd in the UAAP cheerdance championships last year for her complex and amazing flexibility, is out to defend the group stunts crown in the Bulldogs’ bid to sweep anew the two titles at stake.

“We were practicing at the back of the Araneta Coliseum and we were doing the dual stunts when I fell to the pavement,” recalled Cristobal, one of the most popular performers of the SM group of companies-backed NU team.

I had a little cut but the CT scan showed no damage, although the back of my head was profusely bleeding from the injury,” said Cristobal, who was immediately given treatment at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center.

Cristobal admitted that the experience was so traumatic it oftentimes affected her performance in practice.

“I’m a bit wary now because of the fear I might suffer the same injury,” she said.

“There are times when I’m afraid to do the routines because I might commit the same mistake. But I just tell myself ‘The Lord will take care of me,” said the third year BS Accounting student.

“I will try to defend the crown for NU. I promise more flexibility,” she said while vowing to come up with a more impressive routine that could rival her famous “exorcism” routine.

Cristobal will once again lead NU’s five-man group stunts, a side event of the coming UAAP season 77 cheerdance championships, set Sept. 14 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I am expecting a tough challenge from our rivals. But that’s okay. At least I am proud to give my best on the things I want to show,” she said.

“It’s a good chance for me to push myself beyond the limits and persevere, fight off the psychological trauma from my experience,” added Cristobal, who will be joined in the group stunts by Nerisa Pangan, Reinato Ruiz, Jeffrey Reyes and Oliver Porlaez.

NU team manager Patricia Chunsim is optimistic that NU can successfully defend the titles they won convincingly last year.

“It’s a challenge for us not just to defend the team title, but also the group stunts. And I am sure our team is ready to respond to that,” said Chunsim.

Joescoundrel
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
NU cops UAAP badminton title

(The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 8, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - National University capped a dominating men’s badminton campaign with a 3-0 decision against La Salle yesterday in the UAAP Season 77 Finals at the Rizal Memorial Badminton Hall.

The Bulldogs won their second championship in three seasons, winning all nine ties this year.

Joper Escueta, who bagged his second MVP title, set the tone for the rout with a 21-11, 21-11 romp over EJ Boac in the opening singles, while Peter Magnaye fashioned out a 21-18, 21-17 victory over John Kenneth Monterubio in the second singles.

Escueta and Magnaye then teamed up to beat Carlos Cayanan and Gerald Sibayan, 21-8, 21-10, in the first doubles, giving NU the series win.

Bulldogs newcomer Alvin Morada took home the Rookie of the Year honors, while mentor Jojo Mance clinched the Coach of the Year plum.

La Salle dethroned Ateneo in the stepladder semifinals to forge a title duel with NU. The Archers also lost 0-3 to the Bulldogs in last Wednesday’s opener.

Sam Miguel
09-16-2014, 07:50 AM
FEU places loss to Ateneo under protest

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com

Posted at 09/15/2014 5:21 PM |

Updated as of 09/15/2014 6:15 PM

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATED) Far Eastern University (FEU) has put under protest its costly loss to the Ateneo Blue Eagles in their second-round game of the UAAP Season 77 men's basketball tournament last September 13.

The Tamaraws lost to the Blue Eagles, 64-68, in overtime, allowing Ateneo to seal the top spot and earn a twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four, while sending FEU into a virtual best-of-three series against defending champion De La Salle University.

In a letter to UAAP Commissioner Andy Jao on Monday, FEU head coach Nash Racela protested Ateneo's "challenge" on a shot by Blue Eagle guard Von Pessumal with 27 seconds left in the game.

Pessumal had made a shot with 3:20 left in the fourth quarter, which was originally ruled a two. That brought the score to 57-49, still in favor of the Tamaraws. With 27 seconds to go, FEU guard Mike Tolomia was sent to the line with the Tams leading 58-56.

Before Tolomia could take his free throws, however, the coliseum barker announced that Ateneo had challenged the call on Pessumal's shot, and it was now a three-pointer instead of a two-pointer. The score was adjusted to 58-57.

Dead ball opportunities

In his letter, Racela cited Rule 4 of the UAAP's video replay ground rules for basketball, which states that "Determining whether a shot is a 2 or 3 points will be allowed by reviewing the tapes at the first dead ball opportunity, timeout, and before the end of the period concerned, as the case may be."

Racela pointed out that there were four deadball opportunities after Pessumal made the basket and prior to Tolomia's free throws.

"Reviewing a play that happened THREE MINUTES BEFORE IS NOT ALLOWED as per UAAP rules," Racela firmly stated. "Reviewing a two or three pointer SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE on the FIRST DEAD BALL OPPORTUNITY."

"Why was the decision to review done AFTER four dead ball opportunities?" Racela questioned. "The only time the officials were allowed to review was in the first dead ball opportunity."

The first dead ball opportunity following the Pessumal field goal occurred at the 2:07 mark of the fourth period, when Ateneo's G-Boy Babilonia fouled FEU center Anthony Hargrove, with the Tams leading 57-51.

"The game should have been stopped at this point for the video replay review," Racela said in his letter.

"As a long time basketball analyst, I am sure you will agree that there is a big difference from adding one point for ADMU at FEU 57 – ADMU 51 with 2:07 left in the game, rather than at FEU 58 – ADMU 56 with 27 seconds left in the game," the coach added.

Replays unclear

Racela also requested that they be "furnished with the video used by the technical team in determining the reversal of the shot from a 2 to a 3 pointer."

The video replays shown during game time did not clearly show if Pessumal's field goal had been a three-pointer or a long two-pointer.

"RULE 5 of the UAAP's video replay ground rules for basketball say that 'in the event that the video monitor does not show clearly whether the shot is 2 or 3, the referee's decision when the shot was made will stay,'" Racela cited.

Noting that "a protest is valid when it is based on a technicality which affected the outcome of the game," Racela stressed that they were protesting a "misapplication" of the UAAP rules, which he states is "clearly a technicality."

"The FEU Community has expressed its disappointment regarding the inappropriate violation of specific UAAP ground rules," Racela said, adding they are hoping for a speedy and fair resolution to their protest.

Commissioner Jao has already received a copy of FEU's letter and is studying the protest. A decision will be made shortly.

Costly defeat

After Ateneo's challenge, Tolomia would make his first free throw but miss the second, giving his team a 59-57 lead. Ateneo guard Kiefer Ravena then tied the game at the free throw line after being fouled by FEU's Roger Pogoy with 20.3 seconds left.

FEU, however, still had a chance to win the game with 2.8 seconds to go, when Ravena fouled Tolomia while Ateneo was in penalty situation.

Shockingly, Tolomia missed both charities, and the game went into overtime. The Blue Eagles, who scored 33 points in the fourth period, carried over their momentum in the extra period and went on to win the game.

Racela, in an interview after the game, admitted that they "shot themselves in the foot" by missing 11 of their 14 free throw attempts in the final period.

Sam Miguel
09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Citing technicality, FEU protests overtime loss to Ateneo

By Carlo Pamintuan |

Yahoo PH Sports – 13 hours ago

Manila, Philippines - The Far Eastern University Tamaraws are not ready to give up the top spot in the UAAP rankings just yet. After losing 68-64 to the Ateneo Blue Eagles last Saturday, FEU has officially put the game under protest.

The office of UAAP Commissioner Andy Jao has released a statement saying that his office has already received FEU’s protest.

“The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 77 Men's Basketball Commissioner Andy Jao has acknowledged receiving a letter from Far Eastern University putting the game between FEU Tamaraws and the Ateneo Blue Eagles held last September 13, 2014 under protest. The game was won in overtime by the Ateneo Blue Eagles putting them at the number one position of the Final Four.

“Commissioner Jao said that he will study the protest and will release a decision shortly.”

FEU held a huge 19-point lead with 6:12 left in the fourth quarter but they slowly lost control of the game. The protest stemmed from a decision late in the game to upgrade Von Pessumal’s two-point shot to a three-point shot.

With 3:19 left, Ateneo stole the ball from FEU, leading to a corner shot from Pessumal. It was deemed a two at that point to cut FEU’s lead down to eight at 57-49.

According to rules cited in the complaint letter written by FEU head coach Nash Racela, the call should have been reviewed during the first dead ball.

“Rule 4 of the UAAP’s video replay ground rules for basketball says that ‘Determining whether a shot is 2 or 3 points will be allowed by reviewing the tapes at the FIRST DEAD BALL OPPORTUNITY, timeout and before the end of the period concerned, as may be the case,”’ Racela said in his letter.

Instead, the shot was upgraded to a triple with 27.4 seconds left in the game. At that point, FEU was leading 58-56. After the review, the count was changed to 58-57. Tolomia managed a split from the line but Kiefer Ravena tied the game in the next possession with two free throws.

Racela also requested to see the video that the referees used to determine that Pessumal did indeed have his feet beyond the three-point line.

“In addition, may we be furnished with a video used by the technical team in determining the reversal of the ruling of the shot from a 2 to a 3 pointer," Racela wrote. "ABS-CBN's video does not show clearly if the shot was a 2 or a 3. Rule 5 of the UAAP's video replay ground rules for basketball say that 'In the event that the video monitor does not show clearly whether the shot is 2 or 3, the referee's decision when the shot was made will stay.'"

Tolomia had a golden chance to win the contest in the fourth quarter as he was fouled by Ravena with only two seconds left. However, he missed two free throws.

“As a long time basketball analyst, I am sure you will agree that there is a big difference from adding one point for ADMU at FEU 57 – ADMU 51 with 2:07 left in the game rather than at FEU 58 – ADMU 56 with 27 seconds left in the game,” Racela’s letter stated.

The Blue Eagles took control of the game in overtime as they claimed the top spot in the UAAP standings.

The loss relegated the Tamaraws to a tie for second place with the De La Salle University Green Archers. FEU and DLSU will have a virtual best-of-three series for a spot in the UAAP finals while Ateneo only needs to beat either NU or UE once to advance, if the protest is denied by Jao.

Sam Miguel
09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
^^^ The two highlighted portions in bold above are what stood out for me. It was a clear admission that ultimately Nash's guy Mike pulled a Mikee.

Right now I am not even willing to concede his technical points, since the entire technical staff, including Commissioner Jao, were all present during this very crucial game. That means that by allowing the challenge at the time they did, the entire technical staff and the Commissioner himself were all remiss in their duties.

Even if all of that were to be conceded, Nash's statement regarding the difference as to when the challenge came is the biggest indictment against his own guys: Tolomia choked. And he wasn't the only one. Pogoy missed at least two freethrows in this stretch, as did Cruz if memory serves.

Sam Miguel
09-16-2014, 08:26 AM
ateneo actually has more grounds to protest since they were the aggrieved party. a called three was marked a two on the score sheet. if it was marked a three earlier, the team could have been even more energized and, with more momentum seeing the score closer, finished off the Tams in regulation

Perhaps the game official / official score keeper for this game should be sanctioned then, since clearly all of this would not have happened had he done his very simple job right in the first place.

The referee - in video evidence - clearly signaled a three-pointer.

If the scorer failed to mark it as such then the blame should be on the scorer, not anybody else.

If anything it should just have been a technical or officials' timeout, no video review necessary because the shot itself was not in question, just tell the idiot scorer that Von's last shot as indeed a three, period. "Hoy brod, tres 'yon, tres and sinenyas ko, ano 'yang score mo!?"

That happens in many games at many levels in many tournaments.

What is there to protest in those circumstances?

One other guy who should share the blame is Rolly-friggin'-Manlapaz. Seriously, he said he saw the referee signal a three, but he does not announce it as such, then he announces that shot would be subject to a challenge.

Was it in fact challenged? From what I gathered it was a correction, not a challenge.

There was nothing to challenge because the ref ruled it a three, therefore we were asking for a correction in the score, not arguing with the determination of the referee.

What is there to protest?

Joescoundrel
09-17-2014, 08:13 AM
UST jins nip Archers, near UAAP crown

(The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 17, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - University of Santo Tomas nipped La Salle, 4-3, to zero in on retaining the men’s title in UAAP Season 77 taekwondo at The Arena in San Juan yesterday.

Light heavyweight Aries Capispisan delivered the clincher for UST after he edged Gerry del Rosario, 7-6, as the Growling Tigers stayed perfect in five fights.

UST also sparkled in the women’s division by dealing University of the Philippines its first defeat of the season.

Behind heavyweight Jane Narra’s 7-6 win over Cyrmyn Perlas in the thrilling seventh and deciding bout, the Tigresses nipped the Lady Maroons, 7-6.

Reigning champion De La Salle forced a three-way tie for first place with UST and UP at 4-1 with a 6-1 victory over University of the East.

Also providing victories for the Tigers were veterans Joaquin Mendoza, Paul Romero and Rhey Catris.

Last season’s MVP Nicole Cham, Colleen Heria and Korina Paladin also won their fights for the Tigresses against the Lady Maroons.

In other men’s matches, National University beat UP, 4-3, to gain solo third with its third win in five fights, while Far Eastern University finally entered the win column after four straight defeats with a 6-1 decision over Ateneo.

The Lady Bulldogs improved to 2-3 in the distaff side with a 5-2 victory over the Lady Eagles.

Joescoundrel
09-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Commish dumps FEU protest

By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 17, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - UAAP commissioner Andy Jao yesterday junked the protest of Far Eastern U on its 64-68 overtime loss to Ateneo, claiming the contested review and belated correction of the three-point shot of Eagle Von Pessumal in the fourth quarter were “within the rule book.”

“That game, and the victory of Ateneo is going to be upheld. We can’t penalize the team on something that is correct,” said Jao.

FEU had protested the video review and adjustment of Pessumal’s two-pointer into a trey only after three minutes, insisting it violated UAAP rules on video review which only allows one in the first dead ball, a timeout or before end of period concerned.

Jao maintained that the referees had signaled a three-point but the scorer, who couldn’t see it clearly from his vantage point on the other side of the court, counted it as a two.

He said they tried to call the attention of the officials on the gaffe, but circumstances prevented the “correction” at the soonest possible time. However, he said they made the correction right before the end of the period, as the rule subscribed.

“We’re going to correct it. It just so happened that at that period, that was the only time the referees came to us to acknowledge the fact we should correct it,” said Jao.

“Both teams had one timeout each, and they did not use it between the 3:20 mark and the 27 second mark when it was corrected. From the very start when the scorer missed it, we were calling the attention of the referees. Unfortunately, on that day, we were moved from our center table to a corner spot in the courtside,” Jao also said.

With this, Ateneo (11-3) remained on top going to the semis, enjoying twice to beat advantage against the No. 4 while the Tams and the Archers, both with 10-4, will dispute No. 2 before playing the actual F4 encounter.

Joescoundrel
11-24-2014, 09:09 AM
UAAP begins gradual ban on foreign players, puts cap of one per team starting next season

November 18, 2014, 05:47 pm

THE UAAP has started the process of banning foreign players from its college basketball league, limiting teams to one import each beginning next season and planning to stop the recruitment altogether by 2015-2016.

University of the East's Rod Roque, representing the league in his capacity as UAAP secretary treasurer, said the league has cut down the number of foreign players allowed in team rosters from two to one starting next season.

Eventually, Roque said the league will also order a stop to the recruitment of foreigners in the UAAP in Season 78 (2015-2016 academic year) until the time comes when there will no longer be foreign players in the collegiate league.

Under the plan, foreign players recruited in the 2015-2016 academic year will only be allowed to play out their eligibility before a total ban of imports is enforced, Roque added. “As a matter of fact, starting Season 78, only one foreign player will be allowed in the line-up,” said Roque during Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum at the Shakey’s Malate.

“We are also thinking of the possibility that by 2015-2016, there will be no more recruitment of foreign players. Soon, there will be no foreign players na nandito. Patatapusin na lang,” said Roque.

In previous statements, the UAAP said they are limiting the number of foreign players to give Filipino players more opportunities for scholarhips and varsity careers for its eight member universities.

Interestingly, UE's coach Derrick Pumaren said earlier this year a one-import per team policy will be unfair to players who have served residency.

Currently, all basketball teams have at least one foreign player in their roster, nearly all of African descent who are either eligible or taking up residency.

Different sports have also adopted the practice of recruiting foreign athletes. Roque, however, noted they are not imposing any restrictions on Fil-foreign players.

“Fil-foreigners, puwede dahil may dugong Pinoy naman ’yan,” said Roque, whose school is also affected by the limit on foreign athletes since the Warriors have two in Moustaph Arafat and Charles Mammie.

“We have three foreign players (in basketball). Baka ’yung iba, palaruin na lang sa ibang sports,” said Roque.

Joescoundrel
11-24-2014, 09:12 AM
And just to see what other stakeholders have to say about this ...

'One import per team' policy will be unfair to UAAP players who have served residency, says UE coach Pumaren

April 27, 2014, 06:13 pm

UNIVERSITY of the East coach Derrick Pumaren hopes the UAAP will rethink the league’s new rule limiting foreign players to just one per team.

Pumaren said the imposition of the rule this coming Season 77 will greatly affect imports including those in the Red Warriors’ roster who are already eligible to play this season.

Quoting informed sources, Spin.ph has reported that the league is set to allow only one import (from two) per team starting in the new season that will open this July.

As it is, Cameroonian swingman Moustapha Arafat will be eligible to play for the Warriors this year. But with UE still having Sierra Leonean veteran center Charles Mammie in its roster, the team will have to choose who between Arafat and Mammie to include in the lineup.

Pumaren finds the new rule unfair especially for Arafat, who already underwent two-year residency set for foreign athletes. “Like for Arafat, he already served his two-year residency tapos hindi siya puwedeng maglaro. Medyo mahirap para sa bata,” said Pumaren, who was a consultant of the Hong Kong national basketball team prior to joining the Recto-based squad.

“Let’s not talk about the investment of UE. Just talk about him as person, and as a human being. He served his two years, he is ready to play, then all of a sudden, hindi makakalaro. That’s my opinion,” said Pumaren.

Arafat gave UE fans a reason to be excited for the coming season, as he scored 12 points in his Filoil Premier Cup preseason debut, which he capped with an alley-oop dunk against UAAP champion La Salle.

Pumaren, however, made it clear he will respect whatever decision the UAAP will make on the matter. “But hopefully, it’s going to be a change of heart. For the sake of Arafat and whoever player na nag-serve na ng two years na supposedly makakalaro na. I feel for the guy. Okay lang ‘yung bagong dating, pero ‘yung ready to play, parang masakit putting myself into their position,” said Pumaren.

Once the new rule becomes official, Pumaren said he will have a tough decision choosing between the imposing Mammie and the athletic Arafat. “I’ll wait for the last day of submission of the provisional lineup to decide, if ever may rule change,” said Pumaren.

Joescoundrel
01-13-2015, 08:03 AM
TIGER CUBS HAND BULLPUPS THIRD STRAIGHT LOSS; EAGLETS STILL UNBEATEN

By Norman Riego on Jan. 10, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

In what should be considered as the biggest upset of the season, the University of Santo Tomas Tiger Cubs dealt the defending champion National University Bullpups their third consecutive defeat, 51-49, on Saturday at the Blue Eagle Gym in the continuation of the UAAP 77 Juniors Basketball tournament.

Coming from a 22-game winning streak dating back to 2012, the Bullpups have now dropped three straight for the first time since Season 72. In an ugly game wherein both teams suffered miserable days from the field, the Tiger Cubs’ slightly better 31% shooting provided the difference as NU only converted 27% of their shots.

UST utilized balanced play from its starters to garner their third straight win after dropping five of their first six games. The Tiger Cubs first five delivered 38 markers to spearhead the upset.

On the other hand, Mark Dyke was the only NU player who produced quality minutes for his team. The King Bullpup’s 18 points and 21 rebounds were both more than the other four starters’ combined 12 markers and 13 boards.

NU was also undone by 28 turnovers, 15 from the starters, which UST converted into 19 points.

Asked what coach Jeff Napa told them in the locker room, Bullpup team captain Philip Manalang told ABS-CBN Sports, “Basketball is a game of smarts. We have to go back to playing tough.”

Meanwhile, the team that started NU’s three-game slump, the Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets escaped an upset bid by the Adamson University Baby Falcons, 66-61, to remain unblemished.

With the blue birds tied at 61, league-leading Ateneo kept the Baby Falcons scoreless for the remaining 50 seconds of the game. The Blue Eaglets were then able to hold on to their unblemished record thanks to Jayson Andrade’s short stab and Jolo Mendoza’s clutch free throws.

Frederick Tungcab and his 20 markers led Adamson’s attempt to wound the Blue Eaglets for the first time this season. Tungcab, however, was denied the ball in the final minute as Ateneo forced other Baby Falcons to beat them. With the loss, now 4-5 Adamson falls into a fifth place tie with UST.

Nieto twins Mike and Matt, fresh off an announcement that they would be promoted to the Blue Eagles after the season, both had 13 points to lead Ateneo to its ninth straight win.

The day’s other match-ups featured blowouts by the other two teams in the top four. Starting the game day, the Far Eastern University-Diliman Baby Tamaraws gored the winless University of the East Junior Warriors, 81-55. Baby Tam tower Brandrey Bienes had his way inside and delivered a season-high 21 points.

Later, the De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers rebounded from a crushing defeat to archrival Ateneo by demolishing University of the Philippines Integrated School Junior Fighting Maroons, 79-48. Spitfire Aljun Melecio and sniper Quinito Banzon teamed up for 37 markers to outscore the entire UPIS first five who only managed 20 points.

The Baby Tams and Junior Archers’ wins send them to identical 6-3 cards for the season and into a triple tie with NU for the second spot.

On the other hand, UPIS suffered its eighth defeat in nine tries.

BOX SCORES

FIRST GAME

FEU 81 – Bienes 21; Lee 10; Comboy 10; Fajarito 9; Longalong 6; Cuaasay 6; Harrow 6; Peromingan 4; Pineda 3; Aquino 2; Ibanez 2; Belgica 2; Lloren 0; Sumpio 0; Khatri 0

UE 55 – Dagunan 12; Contorno 10; Calizo 9; Correche 6; Garcia 5; Salta 5; Altamirano 4; Bautista 2; Viajar 2; Publico 0; Palanas 0; Edora 0; Balagot 0; Morelos 0

QUARTER SCORES: 23-14; 39-26; 68-38; 81-55

SECOND GAME

UST 51 – Mayor 13; Luna, N. 10; Marcelo 9; Jison 8; Ferrer 4; Santos 3; Navarro 2; Luna, F. 2; Salinas 0; Montes 0; Lapena 0; Pascual 0; Narvasa 0

NU 49 – Dyke 18; Clemente 7; Camaso 6; Manalang 4; De Guzman 2; Claveria 2; Mina 3; Callejo 2;Saquian 2; Penano 2; Ferreras 1; Sta. Ana 1; Calma 0; Baltazar 0; Atienza 0

QUARTER SCORES: 13-12; 27-29; 42-39; 51-49

THIRD GAME

DLSZ 79 – Melecio, Alj. 19; Banzon 18; Webb 14; Melecio, Ale. 6; Sario 4; Isaac 4; Francisco 4; Cabarrus 4; Vizmonte 2; Mariano 2; Fortuna 1; Tongco 1; Romero 0; Paraiso 0; Liwag 0

UPIS 48 – Gomez de Liano, Ja. 9; Tupaz 8; Lina 7; Labao 6; Gomez de Liano, Ju. 4; Barraquias 4; Gomez de Liano, Jo. 4; Santiago 4; Vergiere 2; Barles 0; Gregorio 0; Lagahit 0; Estrera 0

QUARTER SCORES: 13-7; 41-14; 59-29; 79-48

FOURTH GAME

Ateneo 66 – Mendoza 15; Nieto, Mi. 13; Nieto, Ma. 13; Andrade 9; Joson 4; Hassan 4; Salandanan 4; Mamuyac 2; Eustaquio 2; Ramos 0; Rosales 0

Adamson 61 – Tungcab 20; Cabanilla 13; Pasturan 9; Fernandez 5; Sasuman 5; Zaldivar 3; Chua 2; Egan 2; Calacalsada 2; Antiporda 0

QUARTER SCORES: 16-15; 31-26; 46-43; 66-61

---

Sam Miguel
02-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Ateneo tankers sweep UAAP

Philippine Daily Inquirer 1:13 AM |

Wednesday, February 11th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines—The Ateneo Swim Team ended UAAP Season 77 in historical triumph as they swept all awards last October.

Apart from being overall champions for the men’s, women’s, and boys’ team divisions, Ateneo took home all individual awards for all categories.

Homegrown Olympian Jessie Khing Lacuna and Philippine team member Hannah Dato bagged the MVP titles for the men’s and women’s divisions.

Miguel Arellano emerged MVP for the boys’ division while Aldo Batungbacal (men’s), Ariana Herranz (women’s) and Emilio Viovicente (boys’) clinched the Rookie of the Year awards.

“Teammates make training fun and magnify the joy of individual success,” said program director Archie Lim on his approach during training.

With the competitions over, the team keeps busy with preparations for the Ateneo Aquathlon, an annual student-organized swim-run event open to the public. It will be held on March 8.

“We were blessed with a triumph beyond our wildest imagination. Now we try to give back by sharing our advocacy for physical well-being with the public,” said Micco Pesueña, team captain and this year’s race director.

No effort is being spared in preparing for the event, occasionally graced by actresses Kris Aquino and Iza Calzado.

Everybody is encouraged to join regardless of age or competency level. Events on tap are the 5K run and 600m swim competitions. [I]Patricia Q. Espino, Contributor

Joescoundrel
02-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Ateneo batters gain finals; hot FEU booters in Last 4

Jasmine W. Payo

@inquirerdotnet

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:07 AM | Monday, February 16th, 2015

Defending champion Ateneo booked the first Finals slot in baseball while reigning titlist Far Eastern University reached football’s last four in a busy UAAP schedule yesterday.

Adamson also swept softball’s first round while Ateneo and La Salle kept a strong hold of the top two spots after dismantling separate opponents in women’s volleyball.

The Blue Eagles secured a fourth straight Finals appearance after downing National U, 9-4, for a 7-0 record in the baseball tournament at Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium.

Adamson also remained unbeaten in softball as the four-time champions completed a 6-0 sweep of the first round.

The Lady Falcons hacked out an abbreviated 11-1 win over La Salle to extend their amazing victory streak to 54 since 2011.

In men’s football, Eric Giganto fired four goals as the Tamaraws shut out University of Santo Tomas, 6-0, to advance to the Final Four with 27 points at Moro Lorenzo field.

University of the Philippines (27 points) and La Salle (26) tripped separate opponents to likewise clinch semifinal slots.

The Maroons edged University of the East, 2-0, while the Green Booters turned back Adamson with the same score.

In women’s volleyball, the Lady Eagles rallied from a 3-15 in the third set before dispatching University of the East, 25-22, 25-17, 26-24, at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Alyssa Valdez fired 14 points to power Ateneo to a 13th straight victory, one shy of an elimination sweep and an outright title slot.

Ara Galang shone with 20 points as La Salle blasted Adamson, 25-13, 25-15, 25-17, for a 12-1 card.

Joescoundrel
02-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Eaglets rebound, close in on jr crown

By Olmin Leyba (The Freeman) |

Updated February 18, 2015 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Foiled on its sweep bid the last time out, Ateneo got back at defending champion National U, 78-76, to move a victory away from the UAAP Season 77 juniors’ basketball crown yesterday at the Filoil Flying V Arena.

Determined to bounce back from their 72-76 loss in the finals opener, the Blue Eaglets stormed to a 15-point margin in the third quarter and held off the Bullpups down the stretch to secure the triumph and close in on the diadem.

“It was a good bounce back win,” said AdMU coach Joe Silva, whose wards got stunned by NU last Friday after steamrolling the opposition in the 14-game elims for an outright championship berth.

“In Game One, we were really right; we were so excited. We wanted to win but we forgot how we did it. I told the boys to just enjoy the game, to do things right, and do what we do best inside the court – sharing the ball and playing defense,” he added.

The Eaglets will shoot for the title on Friday, also at the San Juan venue.

Jolo Mendoza rifled in 20 points and issued three assists to pace mythical team member Matthew Nieto, who chipped in 18 and the same number of assists and Season MVP Mike Nieto, who dished out 16 markers, 12 rebounds and three feeds. Gian Mamuyac added 10.

Philip Manalang fired 19 to lead the way for NU, which got the usual numbers from Mythical 5 center Mark Dyke (12 points, 16 boards).

From a slim 52-50 count, the Eaglets detonated a 13-0 bomb sparked by Mendoza and Mamuyac to seize control at 65-60, ending the penultimate period with a 67-54 spread.

The Nieto twins cashed in on their respective charities down the stretch as Ateneo grabbed a 78-73 cushion and quashed NU’s uprising.

The scores:

AdMU 78 – Mendoza 20, Ma. Nieto 18, Mi. Nieto 16, Mamuyac 10, Ildefonso 6, Andrade 4, Joson 2, Ramos 2, Hassan 0, Salandanan 0, Eustaquio 0, Rosales 0, Bernardo 0.

NU 76 – Manalang 19, Dyke 12, Clemente 12, Baltazar 10, Ferreras 8, Mina 7, Sta. Ana 6, de Guzman 2, Calma 0, Claveria 0, Atienza 0, Camaso 0, Callejo 0, Saquian 0.

Quarterscores: 19-18, 40-36, 67-54, 78-76.

Joescoundrel
02-23-2015, 08:47 AM
NU ends UP’s UAAP women’s volleyball hopes

Jasmine W. Payo

@inquirerdotnet

1:16 AM | Monday, February 23rd, 2015

MANILA, Philippines—National University dashed University of the Philippines’ semifinal hopes as the Lady Bulldogs hacked out a 25-21, 25-16, 25-15 victory on the last day of eliminations in the UAAP women’s volleyball tournament Sunday at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Jaja Santiago fired 17 points to power the Lady Bulldogs, who will head into the stepladder semifinals as the third seed with an 8-6 record.

The Lady Maroons had hoped to forge a three-way tie at the fourth spot with University of Santo Tomas and Far Eastern U at 6-8.

But Santiago, along with Myla Pablo, just proved too much as the Lady Maroons bowed out near-bottom tied with Adamson at 5-9.

The Tigresses and the Lady Tamaraws will dispute the last semifinal berth on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Mall of Asia Arena.

The winner will take on the Lady Bulldogs in another knockout match at the start of the stepladder semifinals this weekend.

Defending champion Ateneo completed a 14-0 sweep of the eliminations to jump straight to the Finals with a thrice-to-beat advantage.

La Salle, last season’s runner-up, finished second with a 12-2 card to claim the twice-to-beat bonus in the semifinals.

Joescoundrel
02-23-2015, 08:48 AM
UP head coach ‘ok’ with Lady Maroons’ run in UAAP volleyball

Bong Lozada

@BLozadaINQ

INQUIRER.net

9:12 PM | Sunday, February 22nd, 2015

MANILA, Philippines—All’s well that end’s well.

Despite crashing out of final four contention, University of the Philippines head coach Gerry Yee said the UAAP Season 77 women’s volleyball tournament was an “ok” run.

Yee said that he was satisfied with what his Lady Fighting Maroons did trough the course of their 21-month program.

“You can see that we improved throughout the course of the season,” Yee said after UP lost to National University 25-21, 25-16, 25-15 Sunday at the Arena in San Juan.

UP had a chance to play for the fourth seed had it won against NU and force a playoff with Far Eastern University and, if they win against the Lady Tamaraws, University of Santo Tomas.

“I’m ok with what they did this season,” Yee said.

The Lady Maroons finished with five wins against nine losses.

Joescoundrel
02-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Blue Eaglets swoop down on Bullpups, take UAAP Juniors hoops title

Bong Lozada

@BLozadaINQ

INQUIRER.net

6:18 PM | Friday, February 20th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines—It’s a wrap.

Dropping only a single game the whole season, the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eaglets took the UAAP Juniors Basketball title away from defending champions National University Bullpups, 90-73, Friday afternoon at Arena in San Juan.

Ateneo’s only hiccup in the season was their Game One loss to the Bullpups but they steadied the turbulence to cap their near-perfect season.

After leading by as much as 18 at the end of the first half, the Blue Eaglets were suddenly on the receiving end of a Bullpup sucker punch as their lead dwindled to as low as five, 74-69, with 5:16 remaining in the fourth.

Daniel Atienza knocked down a long three-pointer from the top of the key to cut the Ateneo lead to single-digits, 74-65, then John Clemente followed it up with two transition layups to make it 74-69.

It would be Clemente’s doing, however, that sparked the Blue Eaglets’ title-winning run.

Clemente hit Ateneo swingman Matt Nieto on a fastbreak and was sanctioned with an unsportsmanlike foul.

Nieto hit four free throws to make it 80-69 then Finals MVP Jolo Mendoza hit a three from the right wing which Big Mike Nieto followed up with a layup on the break to give Ateneo a 16-point lead, 85-69, with 3:01 remaining.

Blue Eaglets head coach Joe Silva said his win was “for the glory of God” and he dedicated the title to his mother who passed away in 2014 just before their championship series with NU.

“I want to thank the Lord and my mom for the guidance. I’m offering this championship to her,” Silva said.

Mendoza would quell any probable run from the Bullpups when he swished home a jumper from the top of the key making it 87-73 with 1:24 remaining.

Silva said that Mendoza’s superb play was the proof that he would one day become “the future of Philippine basketball.”

Mendoza finished with 30 points, 21 coming from the first half, while Matt Nieto had 25 points and six rebounds.

Season MVP Mike Nieto had 12 points and eight rebounds for Ateneo.

John Clemente led NU with 24 points and seven rebounds.

Mark Dyke and Justine Baltazar ruled the boards for NU grabbing 14 and 10 respectively.

Joescoundrel
03-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Really Coach...? Really?

"Kung na-stop... ng mga sampung beses." - REALLY...!?

'DI NAMIN NAPIGILAN YUNG ESPEJO' --- NU COACH ALINSUNURIN

By Norman Riego on March 4, 2015, 5:27 p.m.

National University Bulldogs coach Dante Alinsunurin said his team lost Game 1 of the UAAP 77 Men's Volleyball Finals all because of one reason: reigning MVP Marck Espejo.

"'Di namin na-stop yung Espejo e. Yun ang nangyari," Alinsunurin said.

Espejo and the Ateneo Blue Eagles defeated the Bulldogs three sets to one on Wednesday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Ateneo spiker finished with 31 points, with all but three coming from attacks. The NU mentor said they already expected most of Ateneo's plays to go to Espejo, but praised the reigning MVP for still besting their defense.

"Lahat ng ginawa niya, tama. Parang ni isang beses, 'di siya nagkamali," Alinsunurin said.

Still, the Bulldogs' coach believed that if they would have stiffened their blocking a little more, they would have had a better chance to win. NU finished Game 1 with only eight block points.

"Kung na-stop lang namin (si Espejo) ng mga sampung beses, mag-iiba yung laro," Alinsunurin said.

Joescoundrel
03-05-2015, 08:15 AM
NU SHOCKS LA SALLE, FORCES DO-OR-DIE FOR FINALS SEAT

By Mark Escarlote on March 4, 2015, 6:56 p.m.

See you on Saturday.

National University wiped out the De La Salle Lady Spikers’ twice-to-beat advantage as the Lady Bulldogs shocked the spectators inside the Araneta Coliseum on Wednesday with a straight set 25-20, 25-20, 25-19, victory to force a do-or-die match in the 77th UAAP women’s volleyball stepladder semifinals.

The Lady Bulldogs dominated the rusty Lady Spikers, who came from a two-week layoff, with the scoring load spread among four hitters.

Myla Pablo and 6-foot-4 Jaja Santiago each scored 13 markers while Jorelle Singh scored all her points off kills for NU, who will play in its third do-or-die game on Saturday for the right to face the thrice-to-beat armed defending champion Ateneo De Manila Lady Eagles in the championship round starting March 11.

NU advanced in the last phase of the semis after knocking out fourth seed Far Eastern University last Saturday.

Another veteran Rizza Jane Mandapat delivered 10 points and skipper Siemens Dadang had eight markers, five of which came off NU’s total of 11 blocks.

“Masaya ako kasi nanalo kami, o e salamat,” said NU mentor Roger Gorayeb after the team’s first win against La Salle since 2008. “Pero La Salle has the liberty kasi to lose this game. Siyempre twice-to-beat sila and ako naman masaya naman na naipanalo naming itong first game. Pero hindi naman pwedeng mag-relax kasi marami pang dapat gagawin.”

Gorayeb said that their easy win was unexpected but lauded his team’s confidence despite having a twice-to-win disadvantage.

“Hindi,” Gorayeb said of the sweep. “Ang gusto ko lang naman talagang makita yung mga bata na lumaro na para bang confident sila sa sarili nila.”

It was also a sweet revenge of sort for Gorayeb as he won against the Taft-based squad for the first time after losing to Ramil De Jesus and La Salle in Season 74 and 75 finals with Ateneo. Gorayeb, who took the coaching job for NU in the middle of the season, also lost his match against the Lady Spikers in the second round of eliminations.

After NU secured the first two sets, the Lady Spikers tried to show some fight, erasing a 3-8 deficit with a 10-3 rally to take the lead, 13-11. But the Lady Bulldogs answered with three straight points to retake the advantage.

The two team traded points with NU taking a slim 19-18 lead. Mandapat scored two straight points from a kill and a service ace.

La Salle scored on the next play before the Lady Bulldogs go on their finishing kick with Pablo hitting a down the line strike followed by her block against Cyd Demecillo. La Salle went on total meltdown with Kim Fajardo overshooting a set to Mika Reyes and Santiago pounded the final nail in the coffin at the middle.

The Lady Spikers woke up at the wrong side of the bed with only Ara Galan gang Demecillo scoring in double figures with 14 and 10 points, respectively. Reyes was limited to only eight points.

---

Joescoundrel
03-05-2015, 08:17 AM
'WALANG NAG-EXPECT NA THREE SETS' --- GALANG ON LADY SPIKERS' SURPRISING LOSS

By Norman Riego on March 4, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

The De La Salle Lady Spikers were beaten soundely by the National University Lady Bulldogs on Wednesday at the Araneta Coliseum and lost their twice-to-beat advantage in the process.

The Lady Spikers were unable to get over the 20-point hump in their straight sets defeat as only Ara Galang and Cyd Demecillo finished in double-digits with 14 and 10 points, respectively.

Coach Ramil De Jesus constantly shuffled his line-up to find a working combination and played all but two of his 14 players in just three sets.

Expected to handle NU and immediately move on to the Finals, the second-ranked Lady Spikers instead looked listless throughout.

Lamenting their performance, team captain Galang said after the game, "Walang nag-expect na three sets. Off lang talaga."

Galang, however, brushed aside questions if their nearly two week-long break turned them rusty. "'Di ko nakikitang factor yun," she said.

The DLSU captain said the team would have to work both on their mechanics and self-confidence. Re-assuring the squad's supporters, Galang concluded, "'Di pa naman tapos."

Joescoundrel
03-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Ateneo draws first blood against NU in UAAP men’s volleyball finals

Bong Lozada

@BLozadaINQ

INQUIRER.net

5:21 PM | Wednesday, March 4th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines—One down, one more to go.

Ateneo snatched game one of the UAAP Season 77 Men’s Volleyball best-of-three finals from defending champions National University 25-19, 30-28, 20-25, 25-22, Wednesday afternoon at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Reigning MVP Marck Espejo was on point for Ateneo as he handed game one to the Eagles by avenging his match point blunder in quick succession.

Espejo had a free outlet and hit one off Bulldog Noel Baysac that sealed the victory.

It was a service error from NU team captain Rueben Inaudito that gave Ateneo the match point, 24-21, in the fourth set but Espejo followed it up with a service error of his own.

In a rematch of last season’s finalist, Ateneo head coach Oliver Almadro wants to seal that first championship for the men in blue this time around.

“We have to be prepared mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually,” Almadro said. “We have to really pray hard.”

“I guess the team wanted it more.”

Almadro added that winning game one is not the goal. It’s championship or bust for his top-seeded Eagles.

“We can’t relax just yet, I’m sure NU will come back stronger because they are the defending champions,” Almadro said.

Ateneo had a two-headed monster in Espejo and Ysrael Marasigan as they finished with 31 and 22 points, respectively.

Jan Paglinawan led NU with 15 points while last year’s Finals MVP Peter Torres finished with 14.

Joescoundrel
03-09-2015, 09:34 AM
How will La Salle adjust to life without Ara Galang?

by Rivals PH on March 7, 2015

MANILA — One man down.

De La Salle University marched into its seventh straight Finals appearance when it sent National University home in the UAAP Season 77 women’s volleyball tournament Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

With the 26-24, 21-25, 25-18, 25-21 victory, the Lady Spikers set up another title showdown with rival and defending champion Ateneo de Manila University.

The celebration of the Taft squad was put to a halt, though, when its skipper Ara Galang injured her left knee two points away from winning the match.

“Sa ngayon hindi ko pa alam ‘yung condition ni Ara. Hopefully, sana hindi naman ganoon ka-grabe,” said La Salle mentor Ramil de Jesus. “Tinanong ko siya kanina after noong incident. Sabi ko, ‘Kaya ba?’ Umiiling siya so siguro may nararamdamang pain na sobra.”

Galang, who has been the go-to girl of the Lady Spikers, has been firing from all angles the entire game, coming up with 25 big points built on 21 kills and four blocks.

“So far, maganda naman ‘yung nilaro ni Ara. Isa ‘yun sa mga A-game niya.” said the coach.

Related: Ara Galang out for season with torn ACL & MCL, bone bruise

On how they plan to proceed to the Finals without their most prolific scorer, he shares, “Sa isang team, mahirap maglaro ng walang team captain. Pero kailangan tuloy lang. Kasi hindi naman pwedeng doon na tayo matatapos.”

“Kung may kulang, kailangan gawan ng paraan. Siguro starting tomorrow, magpe-prepare kami practice without Ara.” added the multi-titled coach.

Hounded by injuries left and right, the coach said he hopes his second unit steps up in the absence of some of his starters.

“Siguro kailangan mangyari ‘yun para mas mabuo pa ‘yung tiwala ng team sa isa’t isa,” said de Jesus. “Mas natuto silang maghanda. Mas natuto silang magtiwala sa sarili nila as a player. Mahirap kasi ‘yung isa lang ang pinagkakatiwalaan.”

La Salle, who has struggled to find an able replacement to former captain Aby Maraño, is now looking at playing Ateneo with a thrice-to-beat disadvantage.

Galang’s injury, though, shall not stop them, according to de Jesus.

“Maraming natutuwa kasi marami naman nag-aabang ng ganito na Ateneo-La Salle (Finals). ‘Yung game na mangyayari sa Wednesday, lahat siguro ng pwedeng gawin ng La Salle gagawin.” he closed. – Rivals 2015

Joescoundrel
03-09-2015, 11:08 AM
KING EAGLES: ATENEO WINS UAAP MEN'S VOLLEYBALL TITLE

By Mark Escarlote on March 7, 2015, 4:49 p.m.

All hail the kings: Ateneo De Manila Blue Eagles crowned themselves as 77th UAAP men's volleyball champion after sweeping the dethroned National University in the best-of-three finals.

Ateneo de Manila University made history by winning its first ever title, dethroning the two-time defending champion National University, 23-25, 25-23, 25-23, 25-15, Saturday in Game 2 of the best-of-three 77th UAAP men’s volleyball finals series at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.

Rex Intal delivered the championship blow, pounding a running spike over Fauzi Ismail’s single coverage in the right corner as the Blue Eagles stormed the court to celebrate the feat.

“Honestly this is long overdue as a coach,” Ateneo mentor Oliver Almadro said.

It is the first men’s title of the Blue Eagles since taking two in the NCAA including their last in 1976 under the late coach Pitong Custodio.

Back-to-back Most Valuable Player Marck Espejo duplicated his career-high 33 points with 28 coming off kills including three serive aces for the Blue Eagles. He averaged 32 points in the series.

Ysrael Marasigan had 14 markers while Intal scored nine for the Katipunan-based squad, who escaped with the win even after giving away 38 points from miscues.

Best setter winner Esmilzo Polvorosa added 36 excellent sets for Ateneo. He was named Finals MVP in his instrumental role for the Blue Eagles’ attack as he averaged 46.5 perfect setups in the series.

“Naramdaman naming na sa amin na ito sa fourth set nu’ng pumapasok na yung mga services namin,” Almadro added. “Dun sa fourth sabi ko yung mga services natin lagyan na natin ng karga kasi sa mga unang sets medyo nagpa-safe kami sa service.”

Ateneo broke open their slim hold of the lead, 8-7, in the fourth frame with a 9-2 run for a commanding 17-9 advantage. Peter Torres tried to keep the Bulldogs in the game pushing NU closer, 14-19.

Espejo’s combination kill sparked the finishing 6-1 blast. John Rivera brought Ateneo to match point with a lucky ace that kissed the top of the net before dropping in. Intal did the rest.

The Blue Eagles won the series opener last Wednesday with an impressive 25-19, 30-28, 20-25, 25-22, decision over the same team that swept Ateneo in two games in the finale last year.

“Hindi yung revenge e. Ang masarap kasi we worked hard for this,” Almadro said.

Torres was the only NU player in double figures with 12. Edwin Tolentino had eight, Jan Paglinawan scored seven, Ruben Baysac and skipper Reuben Inaudito finished with six each for the Bulldogs, who were outspiked 37-57 and committed 26 errors.

NU overhauled a 16-20 deficit in the second frame for a 21-21 count capped by Mangulabnan’s service ace. Marasigan fired back with a through the block hit but Torres evened the game with a quick hit.

Espejo answered with a smash to the back row before Tolentino’s middle hot for the final tie at 23. Marasigan and Espejo sealed the frame with a combo and an off the block hit, respectively.

The Blue Eagles trailed by five midway to the set but clawed their way back and took the lead 19-18 after Inaudito’s wide attack.

Torres put the Bulldogs back in front with a runner, 23-22, but Espejo answered with a cross court hit followed by a setting error by Mangulabnan.

Espejo closed down the set with a thunderous cross from the left side off a broken play by Rivera and Villanueva that broke NU’s two-man wall for Ateneo’s 2-1 match lead.

---

Joescoundrel
03-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Now a champ, Rex Intal started to play volleyball to avoid CAT

by Lester Niere on March 9, 2015

MANILA — From a basketball aficionado to a champion volleyball player, Rex Intal does not regret playing the sport he now loves.

Once uninterested in the sport that will eventually bring a UAAP gold medal to him, Intal admitted that he just forced himself to join their high school volleyball team at first.

“Third year high school ako nu’n. Puro basketball lang ako nung high school tapos yung kuya ko kasi volleyball player nung college,” the middle spiker started.

Persuaded by his brother JR to try out for the Ateneo High School volleyball team, the younger Intal admitted that he was not thrilled with the idea of playing in a volleyball court.

“Sinabi ni (Kuya JR) na yung high school team daw ay kulang sa height. Pinilit niya ko mag tryout,” he said. “Nung una ayoko kasi sabi ko pang-babae yung volleyball ganyan.”

But as if fate worked its way, the six-foot-three Atenean decided to give volleyball a shot to escape a dreaded activity in high school, “Pag-dating ng third year high school dumating yung CAT!”

“Eh pag athlete ka exempted ka mag-CAT. So yun yung naging reason lang kaya ako naging athlete,” Intal added.

The Blue Spiker, however, admitted that it didn’t take long for him to love the sport saying, “Eventually after first week of training, I fell in love with the sport. Tinuloy-tuloy ko na hanggang fourth year.”

“Fourth year naging captain ako. Tapos first year college naging first six tapos ngayon champion na! (laughs)” Intal exclaimed.

Being part was of a champion team was not an easy trek for the Katipunan squad and Intal has one man to thank for for this historical achievement.

“First year underdog kami. Sobrang nagsimula kami sa baba,” Intal narrated. “Pagdating ng second year pumasok yung mga prized rookies namin. May bagong management, bagong coaches so totally new environment for us.”

“Thankful ako kay coach kasi siya yung mastermind nito, siya yung nag-design ng lahat ng ‘to. Sobrang deserve niya na ‘to na makakuha ng championship,” Intal shared.

The third-year middle hitter closed with an inspiring message, “Thankful ako na naging instrument ako para matupad yung hinahangad ni coach Oliver (Almadro).” — Rivals 2015

Joescoundrel
03-09-2015, 11:14 AM
DUGO’T PAWIS ANG PINUHUNAN NG BUONG MEN’S VOLLEYBALL TEAM --- ATENEO MEN’S COACH OLIVER ALMADRO

By Mark Escarlote on March 8, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

It was his dream since taking the post as Ateneo de Manila University's coach.

Seven years he waited.

As Rex Intal smashed the ball over a single coverage offered by Fauzi Ismail of National University from the right corner and to the Bulldogs wide open back row, Blue Eagles coach Oliver Almadro’s knees gave in as if all of his energy suddenly left his body.

A surreal moment where everything for him was moving in slow motion.

This Season 77 there is no more waiting. He and Ateneo are now UAAP men’s volleyball champions.

“Lumuhod talaga ako, unang sinabi ko nagpasalamat talaga ako (sa Diyos),” Almadro said after Ateneo completed the best-of-three finals sweep against the dethroned two-time defending champion Bulldogs.

“Hindi naman ako talagang relihiyoso but I really believe that prayers really do wonders,” he added.

All the hard work and patience paid off as Ateneo claimed their first title since the Katipunan-based squad joined the league in 1978.

It is the Blue Eagles' third men’s volleyball diadem after winning the NCAA crown in 1975 and 1976 under the late coach Pitong Custodio.

“I really believe that God is never early His never late. A little patience, hard work and faith it’s worth the wait, really worth the wait,” he said.

“Talagang pinaghirapan namin ito, dugo’t pawis ang pinuhunan ko rito, ang pinuhunan ng buong men’s volleyball team,” he followed.

It is Almadro’s second straight attempt to win a title for the Blue Eagles.

Ateneo was swept in the championship round by NU last season in its first championship appearance in the Final Four era.

Almadro’s journey with the team started in 2008 with then Most Valuable Player AJ Pareja. Ateneo entered the Final Four but was eliminated by the eventual champion University of Sto. Tomas, who was then on its way to it’s second of four titles in a row.

The year after, Almadro steered the Blue Eagles back in the semifinals only to fail once again against the Far Eastern University.

He left the team in Season 73 as Ateneo plunged to sixth, seventh and sixth over the next three years.

“I was with Ateneo nu’ng Season 71, so it is our dream talaga. All dreams come true,” Almadro said. “Ateneo ako that time nag-fourth, nag-third and lumipat ako ng NU then bumalik ako rito so talagang matagal ko nang hinintay to sa career ko. Ngayon masasabi ko talagang it’s worth the wait.”

Season 76 marked the return of Almadro to the Eagles nest and with him is a talented and power-hitting freshman Marck Espejo, a recruit he himself discovered.

Espejo eventually won the Rookie of the Year and MVP plum with fellow first year Atenean Esmilzo Polvorosa taking the Best Setter recognition.

Almadro rallied the young Blue Eagles into the championship round versus his former team but the inexperience of Ateneo showed as they were overmatched and bullied by a strong Bulldogs lineup backstopped by Peter Torres, Vince Mangulabnan and Rueben Inaudito.

It was a short trip as Ateneo succumbed in two games.

They spent the remainder of the season as cheerleaders for their counterpart, the Lady Eagles who made history by giving Ateneo its first women’s crown.

The pain didn’t stop Almadro and his team to dream once more.

Instead it gave them the added motivation.

Just a week after losing the series, the team got back into training focused on Season 77.

But the start of the new season was not as ideal as what Almadro hoped for.

After winning their opening game in straight sets over FEU, Ateneo was slapped with back-to-back losses against Adamson and UST.

But the Blue Eagles recovered and piled an amazing 10-game winning run before UST halted the streak in the last game of the elims.

“We really prepared for this. Talagang at times mayroon talagang mga bumps pero hindi nag-giveup ang mga players ko. Everybody delivered and talagang yung trust and faith ko sa kanila talagang nandoon,” the mentor said.

Ateneo finished the elims on top with an 11-3 slate and entered the Final Four with a twice-to-beat advantage, making short work of no. 4 seed Adamson to get back in the finals for a rematch with the Bulldogs, who clawed their way from a twice-to-win disadvantage over UST.

This time Ateneo made sure that the road to redemption won’t hit a dead end.

Fueled by desire to win it all, Espejo was lights out in both games scoring 31 in the opener before matching his career-high of 33 in the clinching match.

Polvorosa for his part played a big role as a court general, giving 57 excellent sets in the first before setting up 36 in the second.

Almadro played down the angle of revenge in the series saying that the satisfaction is more on the fruit of their hard work.

“Hindi yung revenge. Ang masarap is that we really worked hard for this, hindi yung magantihan mo sila e,” he said. “Ang importante we believed that God is never early or late talagang it’s worth the wait. Basta may hard work and kasama ang prayers nothing will go wrong.”

For Almadro their triumph is because of his team’s heart.

“They did deserve to be champion,” Almadro said. “Kasi yung heart nila talagang nandoon talaga.”

Joescoundrel
03-11-2015, 08:33 AM
ATENEO EYES FIRST STEP IN ROAD TO BACK-TO-BACK; DLSU ATTEMPTS UPSET

By Mark Escarlote on March 10, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

The De La Salle Lady Spikers will try to scale a mountain of a challenge against the defending champion Ateneo de Manila Lady Eagles on Wednesday as the 77th UAAP women’s volleyball championship gets underway at the expected sold-out crowd inside the Araneta Coliseum.

The Lady Spikers will play in the match set at 3:30 p.m. sans top player Ara Galang, who suffered tears in the ACL, MCL, and medical meniscus along with a bone bruise in her left knee four days ago, adding to the difficulty of La Salle’s thrice-to-beat disadvantage in the fourth straight finals head-to-head with Ateneo.

La Salle is coming from two hard-fought games in the stepladder semifinals, losing in three sets against the National University Lady Bulldogs in the first game that wiped out the Lady Spikers’ twice-to-beat advantage that forced a decider last Saturday.

But the win that propelled La Salle to its seventh straight finals appearance came with a steep price of losing Galang, who averaged almost 20 points per game this season.

“Lahat ng puwedeng magawa ng La Salle gagawin namin,” Lady Spikers coach Ramil De Jesus said.

The bulk of Galang’s scoring void will be shouldered by other veterans left in De Jesus’ banged up brigade led by Mika Reyes, Cyd Demecillo, Desiree Cheng and setter Kim Fajardo. It is also time for rookie hitters Mary Joy Baron and Christine Joy Soyud, who is set to fill in for Galang together with Camille Cruz and Princess Tiu, to step up.

In last year’s fnale, La Salle held the thrice-to-beat advantage but was upset by Ateneo in four games.

“Now we are on the other foot. Last year ganoon kami so now we’re on the other side and feeling the pressure of looking at the finals and trying to beating the no. 1 team three times,” La Salle athletic director Nongnong Calanog said.

Ateneo has a four-game winning head-to-head winning streak against their green-clad rivals dating back from last season's championship Games 3 and 4.

The Katipunan-based squad battled the Lady Archers in the first round match that went the distance, 25-22, 25-27, 16-25, 25-14, 15-9, last January 11 before completing their historical elims sweep with a 25-20, 21-25, 25-23, 27-25 victory over La Salle in their rematch last February 18 that gave the Lady Eagles an outright finals berth armed with an advantage.

Reigning Most Valuable Player Alyssa Valdez, Amy Ahomiro, libero Denden Lazaro and top rookie Bea De Leon will again be the main guns of Ateneo, who will need to win only twice to take back-to-back titles.

“We start training (for the finals) early. I believe we can do it (back-to-back),” said Ateneo coach Tai Bundit.

The Lady Eagles are coming off a long layoff in the league but were busy for the past three weeks playing tune up games with top club women’s team like Army, PLDT and Petron.

“I think it will be an exciting Finals,” said Ateneo team manager Tony Boy Liao, who was the manager then of La Salle’s three-peat last in Season 66 to 68. “Pang-apat na straight year ng Ateneo-La Salle. Magandang series ‘to as you all know La Salle is a very tough team. They’ve won three-peat thrice already. Fortunately for us we won last year, sana suwertehin ulit kami.”

Game 2 is on Saturday and if necessary Games 3 and 4 is on March 18 and 21, respectively.

The game will air live on ABS-CBN Sports+Action channel 23, BALLS SkyCable HD 167, TFC Bro, tfc.tv, sports.abs-cbn.com/livestream and uaaplivestream.uaapsports.tv with a same day replay at 9 p.m. on BALLS SkyCable channel 34/ Destiny Cable channel 36.

Joescoundrel
03-11-2015, 08:35 AM
DID UE LIBERO ARADO BEAT LAURE, DE LEON FOR TOP FRESHMAN PRIZE?

By ABS-CBN Sports on March 9, 2015, 4:42 p.m.

University of the East head coach Francis Vicente made quite a noise Monday after he posted on his Facebook account the name of Lady Warriors’ libero Kathleen Faith Arado as the winner of the 77th UAAP women’s volleyball tournament Rookie of the Year award.

In a surprise turn for the individual recognition, the Lady Warriors’ libero came into picture for the citation most fans thought was a tossup between power-hitters Bea De Leon of the Ateneo De Manila Lady Eagles and EJ Laure of the University of Sto. Tomas Tigresses.

Vicente broke posted: “Congratulations! Kathleen Arado (libero) for being the Rookie of the Year this 77th season of the UAAP. Very,very, very proud of you! UE women's volleyball Warriors.”

Individual awarding ceremony is on Saturday before the Ateneo-De La Salle finals Game 2.

The Lady Warriors lost all of their 14 games in the eliminations with Arado almost single-handedly doing the dirty work of absorbing most of their opponent’s attacks and crashing the floor for digs.

Arado finished second in digs with 2.95 average per set and seventh in receives with 19.20 % efficiency rate.

De Leon and Laure were the rookies that most volleyball pundits thought would bag the award in terms of their offensive prowess, piling up stats in the scoring department overshadowing Arado’s contribution for her team.

The two posted impressive stats with Laure landing at ninth spot in the scoring statistics with 147 spikes, 13 blocks and 5 service aces while De Leon had a total of 67 kills 19 blocks and seven aces in the eliminations that the Lady Eagles swept for an outright championship seat.

If Arado bags the award, the Lady Warrior will be the first libero to pocket the RoY award since former De La Salle player Melissa Gohing won it in Season 71.

Joescoundrel
03-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Athletes and scholars

Michael L. Tan

@inquirerdotnet

12:10 AM | Wednesday, March 11th, 2015

Last Sunday I watched the championship round of the UAAP football competition at Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila. It was the first time in 10 years that the women’s football team of the University of the Philippines had made it to the championship, so I knew I just had to attend.

I used to think football was a slow game, but last Sunday I found myself gripping my seat as the game unfolded.

UP lost to Far Eastern University, 2-1—a close fight that still left UP in second place for women’s football.

Soccer moms

Later that night the UP Alumni Association sponsored a celebration dinner for the team members and their parents, and that was where I learned more about what goes into the making of our UP women athletes. I had visited the football teams (both men and women) at practice and knew they were fighting great odds—having to play in a field that often resembled a large mud hole, shared with track and field athletes at practice, which meant that sometimes a hammer throw would end up in their field, adding to the moon craters.

Both teams have the highest regard for their coach, Anto Gonzales, who is tough but nurturing. The parents of the women’s team members told me about how their home diets had changed, with the coach insisting on healthy eating, which means no soft drinks, no fried food, and lots of fruits and vegetables.

“Imagine, we never bought kamote (sweet potato) in the past, but now it’s part of our meals,” one soccer mom told me.

I was curious how our players ended up in football, which is one of the most “masculine” sports around.

The stories ranged from one player growing up with brothers who played football to another attending schools that encourage women’s sports in general. But there was one common denominator: The support of parents.

Both moms and dads actively support their daughters in the team, but there were more soccer moms than dads, and they are a feisty lot. Several of them talked to me with hoarse voices because they were cheering (and jeering) the whole afternoon.

The team players practice early in the morning, as in 6 a.m., and put in more hours as competitions approach. Despite that, they are serious about their studies. The players are doing all kinds of majors, from sports science to political science and family life and community development. Some have ambitions to make it to medical school afterward, and I have no doubt that they’ll make it.

One proud father said his daughter has “negative hours” left when you account for study, practice and games. He laughed, talking about how we tend to emphasize “don’ts” with our teenage children. With football players, there are so many things to do that there’s no time for the “don’ts.”

Overcoming macho football

The history of women in sports is an interesting one. In the ancient Greek Olympics, there was a separate Heraean (named after the goddess Hera) Games for women, but these were more of a side event. In our modern Olympics, women were allowed to take part from the beginning but it took years for women’s participation to grow. It was always presumed that women’s anatomy and physiology (including menstruation) put them at a disadvantage when it came to competitive sports.

Yet women found ways to get into the sports, and football was a particularly important arena for their struggles.

Ancient China had a form of football called cuju (literally, kick ball), originally formulated some 2,500 years ago to train soldiers. In time it became recreational, played by all classes and by both men and women. And there is a story that in the Tang dynasty, a 17-year-old girl was able to beat a team of army soldiers at cuju.

In the west, women were playing a form of football in France as early as the 12th century, but historical records are sporadic in showing female participation as football developed.

In the early 20th century, there was a very active British Ladies’ Football Club that drew large crowds to its games. The founder, with the appropriate name of Nettie Honeyball, saw football as part of women’s emancipation, a way of proving that women are not just “ornamental and useless” and that if women could play football, there would be a time when they could sit in Parliament as well. Remember, this was during a time when women could not even vote.

The men did not take things lightly. The British Ladies’ Football Club was banned in 1921 from using the football fields—and this policy remained in place until 1971.

The women responded by forming an English Ladies Football Association, practicing in rugby fields instead.

Today, football remains largely a male domain. In the Philippines, some Catholic schools even ban their girls from playing football and other competitive sports.

Internationally, the struggle for equality in sports continues, sometimes with almost funny consequences. Iran was banned from participating in Olympic women’s football when it insisted that its players use the hijab (hair covering).

Since 1991 there has been a FIFA Women’s World Cup held every four years, with one scheduled this year.

Sen. Pia Cayetano, herself a triathlete, is one of UP’s soccer moms and it was she who reminded me last Sunday that it was International Women’s Day, so appropriate for the championship game. I checked on the standings of UP teams in the UAAP competitions and found that for the current season, UP women’s teams are champions in badminton, table tennis and taekwondo, and rank second for swimming and of course football. In no small way, UP women’s varsity teams have contributed to getting UP into third place in overall UAAP ranking.

Gender equality is high up in the UP sports agenda, demonstrated dramatically when the UP Pep Squad performed with the theme “pantay pantay,” which included the women lifting the men into the air.

I am certain that in the years ahead, each Women’s Day will be an occasion to celebrate even more women’s participation in sports, and to demonstrate that varsity players, both women and men, can excel in both sports and academics, doing us all proud as “Iskolars ng Bayan.”

bchoter
03-11-2015, 10:56 PM
It can't get closer than this...
The UAAP S77 General Championship race (from tigercub's FB post):
UAAP S77 Softball Results Mar 11
AdU def NU
UST def UE
UP def DLSU
Standings: AdU 12-0, UST 7-5, UP 7-5, NU 6-6, DLSU 6-6
Playoff for #2: UST vs UP
Playoff for #4: NU vs DLSU
If NU wins, UST will be the over all champs in the srs division

BLUE HORSE
03-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Yup, the 3 peat celebration of DLSU blew up last week. DLSU pinned their hopes on winning the baseball, womens volleyball, mens soccer and finishing ahead of UST in softball. Ang sabi sa kabila when things didn't break their way, shit happens. Their only chance now is to buck all odds and win all their remaining games and win the softball championship. When the dust settles, winning margin is between 1 and 5 points with the general championship returning to Espana if DLSU fails to upset Adamson in the softball step ladder championship.

bchoter
03-12-2015, 12:16 AM
Parang may chance that we'll end up tied for the GC if DLSU bucks the odds and win the baseball crown AND UST falls to UP in softball. Not sure how to break the tie. Or mag co-champs?

bchoter
03-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Na "...careful what you wish for" ako with the GC, volleyball and Cheerdance kasi, during the uninterrupted GC reign of UST, nasabi ko na sana all the schools take the GC seriously at hindi lang UST and UP. I also said the same when UST was always in the top 2 of the Men's, Womens', and Girls' volleyball, and were repeat champs of the Cheerdance competition. Ayan, we lost the GC back-to-back, couldn't crack the F4 in Women's Vball for consecutive years din and relinquished the Men's Vball to NU tapos naging cause for celebration na ang podium finish sa Cheerdance when a 2nd place finish use to be considered a huge let down.

But it's good for sports in general :)

BLUE HORSE
03-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Parang may chance that we'll end up tied for the GC if DLSU bucks the odds and win the baseball crown AND UST falls to UP in softball. Not sure how to break the tie. Or mag co-champs?

Boss, 3peat ang Blu batters, 3-2. One more nail on the coffin. NU should end everything by eliminating DLSU from the step ladder.

Joescoundrel
03-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Happiness plus

Philippine Daily Inquirer 12:14 AM |

Friday, March 20th, 2015

The latest triumph of the Lady Eagles in the UAAP women’s volleyball tournament presented Ateneo de Manila University another feather to stick in its athletic cap and the rest of the varsity field—actually the country’s entire sports infrastructure—a blueprint for a winning program.

The Lady Eagles, who won their second straight volleyball crown, were not overnight queens. They were a champion team that emerged from irrelevance, a painful and arduous climb to the top, and stinging Finals losses. Throughout that journey, Ateneo built its formidable flock piece by piece, slowly but steadily.

There are, in fact, still remnants from the teams that suffered losses to archrival La Salle in championship showdowns. Phenomenal talent Alyssa Valdez began her rise as ultimate volleyball superstar on the heels of Finals losses to the likes of Michele Gumabao and the Lady Spikers. Ateneo, then built around its fabled Super Six led by Gretchen Ho and Fille Cainglet, had just made itself a relevant player in women’s volleyball when La Salle showed the Lady Eagles that they had so much to learn before they could make it to the top.

And learn they did.

Patiently, and even as it lost its key stars to graduation, Ateneo slowly honed what remained in the ashes of defeat—girls like Valdez, Amy Amohiro, Denden Lazaro and Ella de Jesus—into battle-tested fighters and leaders. The Lady Eagles then added crucial pieces here and there using an enviable recruitment program that netted some of volleyball’s most promising young stars, including the likes of Michelle Morente, Jia Morado and Bea de Leon.

On top of that, Ateneo hired Thai coach Tai Bundit, the sidelines-jigging mentor who preached both a winning attitude and, well, happiness to a team that embraced his philosophy wholeheartedly.

“He told us to keep being happy,” said Valdez. “If we are happy, we can win.”

Perhaps no other Ateneo star latched on to this quaint sporting idea more tightly than Valdez. Rather like a hyperactive teen on a pogo stick, Valdez would leap for her trademark killer spikes and explode in a radiant smile once the point is scored. Winner. Happy.

For some reason, Bundit has managed to connect on a higher level with his Lady Eagles. Communication between coach and players runs on fiber-optic clarity despite the fact that Bundit can barely speak English or Filipino. And yet there is hardly any misunderstanding, and no garbled instruction to lead to miscues that opponents can pounce on.

A gesture, a look, a word. That’s all Bundit sometimes needs to get his message across. It is a message, after all, that has been drilled into the team over and over again in so many practice sessions that there is no need for detailed elaboration. Work harder than the opponent.

Focus. Find the openings. Be happy.

As has been made evident, the Lady Eagles live and breathe their coach’s philosophy, and communication comes naturally between them.

Critics will say that Ateneo cut certain corners when it poached talents from solid high school programs. But this poaching was a product of painstaking scouting, of finding the right people to recruit. It has been proven, after all, that forming a squad of superstar talents does not necessarily result in winning championships. And Ateneo’s recruitment staff quickly figured that one out, choosing to go after talents deemed a good fit for the team’s system and its coach’s philosophy.

The result validated the Ateneo way to volleyball greatness.

Since those tearful defeats to La Salle, the Lady Eagles have won back-to-back titles. Tai Bundit hasn’t lost a UAAP crown since arriving in the country in 2013. Certainly, it would help other sporting programs to look hard at the process that Ateneo undertook to rule one of the marquee events of the UAAP wars.

It wouldn’t hurt to study how Ateneo pulled itself out of volleyball’s black hole to become one of the most successful and visible collegiate squads today. It should be important to note that this is the same process that the Ateneo men’s team undertook to make history by winning its first UAAP volleyball title. Ateneo did it through patient recruitment, through intensive training, and through learning nonmeasurable skills needed for championship runs: mental toughness, fortitude, focus.

This was how the Lady Eagles—and their male counterparts—soared. No reason others can’t take the same arc to success.

Sam Miguel
03-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Adamson destroys UP, claims fifth straight UAAP softball tiara

Bong Lozada

@BLozadaINQ

INQUIRER.net

12:47 PM | Thursday, March 26th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines–Perfection just got a personification.

It was another perfect season for Adamson University as they tore University of the Philippines into pieces, 10-0, to claim their fifth straight UAAP Softball title Thursday morning at the Rizal Baseball Stadium.

Not only did Adamson notch their fifth straight crown, they also chalked up their 62nd straight victory across five seasons.

Lady Falcons head coach Ana Santiago said her young team had to mature to go into their fifth title run.

“What was important was their will for this year,” Santiago said who also had her ninth title after 11 seasons with the coaching staff of Adamson. “All the players have that will, but what’s important is their will to prepare.”

“The moment they stand up and walk to the field, they should tell themselves that they are winners.”

And win they did.

Queeny Sabobo went for a screamer toward the center field for a closing home run bringing along Krisna Paguican to the home plate in the top of the seventh inning.

Santiago also admired UP’s resilience as her players had to put down a “fighter.”

bchoter
03-27-2015, 12:10 PM
62-and-0 yet there's very little hype on this team. The women's volleyball champs went 16-0 and they get hash-tagged #history

Joescoundrel
08-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Hindi pa naman Season 78 officially so dito na lang muna ito.

Cayetano slams 'immature, arrogant' UAAP board after Hubert Cani declared ineligible

August 18, 2015, 03:18 pm

SENATOR Pia Cayetano has slammed the UAAP board's decision to declare Ateneo recruit Hubert Cani ineligible this season, saying its another display of the college league's 'arrogance' and 'immaturity.'

The UAAP ruled on Monday that Cani cannot play for the Blue Eagles in the coming season, invoking the league's two-year controversial residency rule for high school transferees which is set to be outlawed by the Student-Athletes Protection Bill which Cayetano sponsored and pushed in the Senate.

However, the league board ruled that the case of Cani, a former high school star at National University who moved to Ateneo last school year, is not covered by the bill which has been passed by both houses of Congress and is only awaiting President Aquino's signature to become a law.

"The UAAP board has once more displayed its arrogance and immaturity by invoking its unjust two-year residency rule against a high school student-athlete who has transferred to a different school in college," said Cayetano in a statement.

Cayetano said it is immaterial that the Student-Athletes Protection Bill, which will bar college leagues from imposing residency rules on transferees once it becomes a law, has not been signed by the President.

The senator said residency rules are unjust, period.

"This is the very same UAAP rule that an RTC court struck down two years ago in favor of (UP) swimmer Mikee Bartolome," she said. "In the case of basketball player Hubert Cani, he has even served one-year residence already and was hoping to play this season.

"It is irrelevant that the Student-Athletes Protection Bill has not been signed by the President yet. The UAAP must respect a student-athlete's right to study and play for the school of his choice. The UAAP is not a commercial but an amateur league.

"The UAAP board should stop treating student-athletes like commodities."

Joescoundrel
08-19-2015, 08:41 AM
62-and-0 yet there's very little hype on this team. The women's volleyball champs went 16-0 and they get hash-tagged #history

Baka walang pretty sa kanila brod, hehehe!

Joescoundrel
08-19-2015, 08:42 AM

Baka walang pretty sa kanila brod, hehehe!