PDA

View Full Version : Knights in NCAA Season 90

bugleboy
06-05-2014, 10:48 AM
With the opening of NCAA season 90 a good three weeks away, the lineups of the various teams -- including the Letran Knights -- are still up in the air as of the moment.

However, that does not prevent us from making our own predictions regarding the final composition of these lineups. As for the Knights, these are my bets:

Cruz
Nambatac
Racal
Gabawan
Publico

Luib
Singontiko
Quinto
Ruaya
Saldua

Apreku
Castro
Dela Pena

The final two may come from the following: Calvo, Sumalakay, Po, Pantin, Requejo, and Manlangit. If Buenaflor and Tambeling are available, I'd personally prefer them to any of these other guys.

Is this lineup competitive enough for the Final Four? My biased answer, of course, is yes. But a lot will depend not just on skill but also on game-time poise. We know our veterans are up to it, so the onus will be on the rookies. Will they rise to the occasion or succumb to the pressure? Based on their showing in the Fil-Oil tourney, I have reason to be optimistic about the rookies. Tignan na lang natin kung uubra sila sa pukpukan sa NCAA.

PS - I read somewhere that Michael Pate (ex-CSB Blazer, ex-LSGH) is practicing with the Knights. Does this mean that we will be seeing him in the blue-and-red in later seasons? Abangan...

bugleboy
06-16-2014, 07:55 AM
From Kevin Racal's Twitter pic, I saw that almost all of those mentioned in the earlier post were included in the team-building workshop. The pic itself was not very clear as it may have been taken with a phone cam. But I saw that Calvo was included, and another guy who looked like Tambeling. There was one other person that I could not identify. There may be one final cut before we get to the 15-man roster.

bugleboy
06-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Our lineup, per http://burnsports.ph/ncaa-season-90-mens-basketball-roster/:

1. Apreku, Jr., Felix G.

2. Calvo, John Paul.

3. Castro, Fidel Albert F.

4. Cruz, Mark L.

5. De la Pena, Chrisantoni M.

6. Gabawan, Jamil Joseph M.

7. Luib, McJour B.

8. Nambatac, Rey Benedict C.

9. Publico Jr., Reynaldo J.

10. Quinto, Kier John R.

11 Racal, Kevin Kent R.

12. Ruaya, Reneford M.

13. Saldua, Reuben Chester AJ.

14. Singontiko, Daryl O.

15. Tambeling, John Von Jovi L.

Good enough for a Final Four slot, at the very least.

bugleboy
06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
How we stack up, at least according to this guy: http://servssports.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/90th-ncaa-preview/

bugleboy
06-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I guess we have assistant coaches Ronjay Enrile and Gerard Francisco to thank for discovering John Paul Calvo: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ilonggos-admiration-of-home-hero-has-spawned-line-of-james-yap-wannabes

bugleboy
06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Fearless forecast from the geniuses: http://sports.inquirer.net/156410/perpetual-jru-threats-to-san-beda-ncaa-reign

OK lang. Hail to the heroes of the preseason!

ESCALERA JR.
06-19-2014, 03:39 PM
From these rookies will soon rise a grand Knight. Just like in previous years, no name ballers becoming future stars of the league.
We'll see very soon.

bugleboy
06-21-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree, ESCALERA JR. But I would hardly call Bong Quinto a no-name baller. Like Nambatac before him, he was an NCAA Jrs. MVP. And he has managed the transition to his new position in college quite well, I may add. I'm looking forward to a productive season from this young man, as well as the rest of this rookie class.

ESCALERA JR.
06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Bong Q is a home grown talent. But among these new rookies feeling ko yung CALVO and Singongtiko will standout agad. When Almazan was then a rookie... kahit patpatin noon beneath the lean frame somehow I knew he will come out of his shell..yun nA, mvp on his final year.

bugle, was able to catch the radio program SPORTSTALK @DZMM of former Sen.Webb earlier. Guests were the LetranKnights. DALAWA dito 'import' sounding...slang na slang while being interviewd pero bigla ba namang humirit ng tagalog nung tinanaong ni Gretchen Fulido! haha...akala ko meron na rin tayo imports? Ramdam mo kay fastbreak Freddie ang dugong Arriba talaga hanggang ngayon...halatang bias ..in our favour lol. Goodluck on our quest for the 17th Crown!. Arriba!

knightrider
06-21-2014, 04:13 PM
More power to the team. This may be the year they win it all.

bugleboy
06-21-2014, 10:30 PM
ESCALERA JR., baka si Singontiko and Saldua yung mga "import"-sounding, as both were born in the US. It's good that both can speak Filipino, though. Of the two, Singontiko is the more Americanized as he spent the majority of his life in the US. We have another "import"-sounding player, Felix Apreku, although this guy is a Fil-Ghanaian who has spent the majority of his life here. Re Apreku, I erred earlier when I wrote that he may be one-and-done. Apparently, the guy is only 22, so he has at least up to next season to play for us.

Re Calvo, the boy is just 16 years old. But knowing the Caloy Garcia way of coaching, it's almost a given that he will be given ample playing time, if only to prepare him for the years ahead. I've seen the guy play, and I agree that he has a lot of potential. If he gets half of the self-confidence that Mark Cruz currently has, he will be a super-effective player. Let's hope that happens sooner rather than later.

@knightrider -- Nawa'y magdilang-anghel ka.

ESCALERA JR.
06-22-2014, 12:10 AM
bugle, on rookie CALVO, di kaya anak ni Fr.Vic yan...!?

bugleboy
06-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Hehe. Now, that's a thought. :)

knightrider
06-22-2014, 10:09 AM
bugle, on rookie CALVO, di kaya anak ni Fr.Vic yan...!?

The boy has a lot of hair. Hindi siya...

bugleboy
06-22-2014, 11:30 AM
^Di ko nakuha kaagad iyon a. :) I must be getting old.

bugleboy
06-23-2014, 12:14 PM
When asked about the most important selection criterion for players, the late coach John Wooden (head coach of the UCLA Bruins during the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton eras) said: Speed over size.

Let's hope that our coaches had this in mind when they selected the members of our 2014 Letran Knights men's basketball team:

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ncaa-preview-undersized-letran-knights-keen-to-show-theres-life-after-almazan

Arriba!

bugleboy
06-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Here's a clear-eyed assessment of our team's chances, per http://sportsmaryosep.wordpress.com/:

Why it would win?

A team with Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal and Rey Nambatac in it should create ripples, perhaps tectonic waves. If you don’t know these three, they’re just the BEST guard combo this season. Bar none. You will like the diminutive but big-hearted Cruz and his toughness. You will also like Racal and his toughness. You will like Nambatac and his toughness. You probably notice a lot of toughness there. Because that’s how the trio are. And they will provide a lot of it come D-Day.

Why it would not?

Raymond Almazan and Jonathan Belorio are tough acts to follow. Losing the two are massive blows to the Knights since they will have to have able bodies to contain the likes of Ola Adeogun of San Beda or Noube Happi of Emilio Aguinaldo. Yes, Gabawan, Ruaya and Publico have shown some flashes of brilliance in small stretches but could they sustain it in long hauls? It will take a lot of stepping up to do for these Letran bigs to fill the enormous void Almazan and Belorio’s absence created. And I’m not just talking a lot. I mean a LOT.

Madam Auring: Unlike in seasons past, the Knights will be the Davids of these league’s Goliaths. While I see Cruz, Racal and Nambatac doing most of the things, I think Letran’s fate will hinge on how its frontcourt will perform. So watch Gabawan, Ruaya and Publico. It’s a little comforting though to have players like Fidel Castro and Von Tambeling, the former could steal the democracy out of the opposition and the latter could acrobat his way to success. No pun intended.

------

Laban lang! We go, we to victory! To victory we fight!

bugleboy
06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
The San Sebastian Stags made the bigger shots in the closing seconds of an error-filled ballgame to hand the Letran Knights a loss, 85-83, in their first game for the season.

SSC-R's Ortuoste found himself open near the three-point line and swished home the game winner as the Knights' Quinto scrambled to close out -- too late. We still had a chance to get at least a tie at the 17-second mark, but Kevin Racal fumbled a Quinto pass at the sideline to hand Baste back the ball. Ruaya then got a steal from CJ Perez, then fished a foul from Jovit dela Cruz to set up the Knights' final offensive thrust. But the thrust went for naught as Baste was able to steal the ball back following an errant pass by Mark Cruz.

On the whole, I think we could have won this handily. We had a 10-point lead to end the third quarter at 70-60. But then, a Letran five composed of Calvo, Quinto, Publico, Nambatac and Tambeling found themselves at the firing end of a withering 9-0 Baste run to start the fourth quarter, and although we were able to maintain a slim lead into the final minute of the ballgame, it was clear that Baste had wrested the momentum.

To be sure, there were bright spots for the Knights -- things that we can build on -- like Cruz's and Quinto's threes, Gabawan's and Ruaya's off-the-boards tenacity and put-backs, Racal's incursions, even Calvo's bravado. But I think we were just coasting along here, thinking that we could knock off Baste with one fell swoop. We made too many careless passes, and missed too many free throws and point-blank shots. We played spotty defense that allowed gunners like Ortuoste and Calisaan too many open shots.

This early loss may be a good thing for us, to remind us that we are not the favorites here, and we ought to be ready to play the socks off the competition every single game. Hopefully, we will learn from this loss.

Arriba!

bugleboy
06-28-2014, 05:26 PM
The scores, care of NCAA FB:

San Sebastian (85) -- Perez 20, Ortuoste 16, Dela Cruz 15, Yong 9, Fabian 7, Guinto 7, Calisaan 6, Aquino 3, Balucanag 2, Camasura 0, Pretta 0, Costelo 0.

Letran (83) -- Racal 20, Ruaya 13, Cruz 13, Quinto 12, Nambatac 11, Gabawan 8, Calvo 3, Tambeling 3, Castro 0, Saldua 0, Apreku 0, Singontiko 0, Publico 0.

Quarters: 23-25, 38-41, 60-70, 85-83.

knightrider
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
It looks like the wait for Quinto is worth it. He has the moves and the heft with a good hand from the outside. He is like a rookie Roy Sumang or Terrence Romeo feeling his way into the collegiate league. Once his confidence is developed, watch out!

Calvo also impressed me. He is small but appears to be a heady player. He is a premier PG in the making and I think his minutes will increase as the season progresses.

We played not to lose after erecting a 10 point lead. The mindset should have been, we're 10 points behind (not ahead) and to go all out all the way till the sound of the buzzer. But then again, that's just me talking. They played their hearts out and that good enough for me. Arriba!

bugleboy
06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Yup, Quinto was great in the game, notwithstanding the rookie mistakes. I especially liked his alley-oop shot from a pass by Gabawan to end one of the quarters. Still, a lot of work has to be done in order to make our team competitive.

Here's a rather late podcast about the teams' prospects this season, courtesy of Rick Olivares:

http://www.philstar.com/sports/basketball/ncaaseason90/videos/2014/06/27/1340103/podcast-ncaa-season-90-preview

ESCALERA JR.
07-05-2014, 09:17 AM
0-2....0k lang yan Go fight thumbs up pa rin!, pero sa next game vs MIT pag olats pa ...eh di na ok. Lol.

The team is really struggling without a body in the middle. Lets give it more time hanggang masanay sila sa ganyan sitwasyon. A must win against the Cardinals in their next game would hopefully halt the skid. Arrrribaaariba andale!

bugleboy
07-05-2014, 09:53 AM
http://season90.ncaa.org.ph/pirates-barges-into-the-winning-column-as-letran-drops-to-0-2/

This is the third consecutive game we've lost against the Pirates, beginning in the second round of last year's NCAA. I hope the team picks itself up from its collective stupor and hopefully, we begin our win streak. As of now, the only certainties are that we will NOT have a perfect season, or a 17-1 record. Laban lang. Arriba!

bugleboy
07-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I watched the game only on Youtube, and I was wondering why Mark Cruz was benched majority of the final quarter. I found the answer here: http://www.spin.ph/sports/ncaa/news/letran-mark-cruz-benching-respect-knights-coach-caloy-garcia-ncaa-90

Here's hoping Micro Mark learns from that, so that our team will be all the better for it.

knightrider
07-06-2014, 07:48 PM
It's too early to play the blame game or point fingers. Obviously, the team has not yet jelled. We can't expect the veterans to be on turbo speed every game. That'll burn them out. The rookies, (great as they are) are still feeling it out. But potential is showing. The void left by Almazan is a black hole. Publico can't do it alone. In fact. he's a re-thread taken out of mothballs because the replacement of Almazan fizzled out. Remember the bean bole 6'7" some say saw in practice? I think he's out.

bugleboy
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Well, Mark Cruz played his heart out today in towing the Letran Knights to a 79-67 whipping of the Mapua Cardinals. Kevin Racal also had a sterling game, topscoring for the Knights with 23 points (per my count), including 12-of-14 free throws.

Actually, this should have been a blowout, but Coach Caloy pulled out the starters (except Racal) majority of the third quarter, and that was when the Cardinals fought back from 21 points down to narrow the gap to 10 points. Nambatac, Racal, and later, Ruaya and Cruz staved off the Cardinals' threat to preserve the win. Our rookies Dela Pena, Saldua, Singontiko, Quinto and Calvo received a lot of burn, and, for the most part, held their own. But they still have to get rid of their rookie jitters to be of more value to this team.

On the whole, I'm glad that we've got that monkey off our backs. Arriba! On with our win streak!

bugleboy
07-10-2014, 08:05 AM
24 points pala si Racal. Si Cruz ang 23.

Box scores from spin.ph:

CSJL 79 – Racal 24, Cruz 23, Nambatac 11, Ruaya 8, Publico 4, Castro 2, Saldua 2, Quinto 2, Gabawan 2, Dela Pena 1, Calvo 0, Tambeling 0, Luib 0, Apreku 0, Singontiko 0

MIT 67 – Saitanan 17, Cantos 12, Biteng 9, Eriobu 9, Canaynay 8, Estrella 4, Isit 2, Gabo 2, Tubiano 2, Serrano 2, Galoso 0

Quarterscores: 16-15, 42-32, 64-52, 79-67

Read more here: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/letran-knights-beat-mapua-cardinals-first-win-ncaa-90

knightrider
07-12-2014, 05:10 PM
It's so sad to learn from the UAAP broadcast panel that former Squire Jarelan Tampus was cut from the DLSU team by the coach, who decided to go with a 14 instead of a 16 man line-up.

While other former Squires like Intal, JR Reyes, Romeo, Sumang, even the late blooming Noble got ample playing time (some even transcended to the PBA), Tampus was one player whose potential was never saw full fruition. Nakapapanghinayan talaga! Even Squire Archie Ynigo who has only a miniscule of the talent of Tamopus is getting rotation minutes with the Tams. Again - nakakapanghinayan talaga!

What if- he played for the Seniors alongside Kevin Alas, during the time when there was paucity in the PG position and K Alas had to play the 1-2 position? What if- he was there during the 2012 Finals together with his HS teammate Kevin?

Is his playing days over?

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Tampus...Sumang...Noble...Ynigo...Khobuntin...mga kasabayan ni Kevin sa Squires. Only the Alas' went on to become Knights. Now only he has a sure bright future ahead.

Tampus should have gone back after a year or 2 in Taft. On his 2nd year he was still warming the bench. Sana nag balik Letran na lang siyaand played out his last 2yrs of eligibility sa Letran...baka sakaling nakilala pa siya playing alongside Kevin and Raymond. Ngayon wala siyang team, he has to find one sa D'
league to have his name recall for the next Pba draft. Well, that's how the cookie crumbles.

bugleboy
07-13-2014, 09:51 PM
I think Tampus made a calculated move that eventually backfired on him. When he came out of high school, Louie Alas was still the Knights' head coach and then-sophomore Kevin Alas was about to become the Letran go-to player. It didn't help that Tampus and Kevin played the same spot, so Tampus probably figured that he didn't stand a chance (in getting adequate playing time, that is).

His calculated move didn't produce good results, however, as he got caught in a series of coaching changes. I agree with knightrider that Tampus should have come back at the end of his third year at La Salle, as by that time, he had been buried in the bench and it didn't look like it would ever become any better for him. If he had returned to Letran then, he would have been doing residency last year, and he would be playing in the NCAA this season. Sayang talaga.

bugleboy
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Yikes.

Two turnovers, questionable shots, lack of rebounds, and consecutive technical fouls in the last two minutes did our boys in and we lost, 69-60, to the JRU Heavy Bombers.

In fairness to JRU, they played more as a team than the Knights did. Asuncion was instrumental for at least four assists -- mostly to Grospe -- that made the difference in negating the slim Letran lead at the end of the third quarter to snatch a five-point lead late in the fourth quarter. Paniamogan came alive after a lackadaisical first quarter and basically drove the nails into our collective coffins.

Our points came from great crossover moves by Mark Cruz, and timely hits from the perimeter by Kevin Racal. I also thought Daryl Singontiko played well, contributing some points and making Paniamogan bleed for his. Ruaya and Nambatac were off-and-on, while Gabawan was mostly off.

Pero laban pa rin! Arriba! Kaya pa iyan!

bugleboy
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Sorry. Double post.

ESCALERA JR.
07-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Was he offered 'more' incentives aside from the playing time he would have wanted kung lumipat siya. Sa tingin ko nasilaw lang sa offer sa kabilang liga... parang case din ni Khobuntin-another wasted. These two men would have complimented the Alas/Almazan era then. Tampus relieving Alas, Glen for Almazan or Jam Cortes.

Well, balita ko talo na naman kanina. We should brace ourselves this season. Its gonna be an uphill climb from hereon with 3 losses in just 4 outings. Di tulad noon nagtatatalo pero may inaasahang Almazan na babalik pa gaya ng dati. Now they have to fend for themselves and make do with untested 5 man. Enjoyin nlng naten ang mga games na maipapanalo naten... only God knows how many. .500 is goodenough for now.

knightrider
07-14-2014, 10:24 PM
The guys have not yet jelled as a team. Many instances na jerky ang plays at parang nangangapa pa. Sayang naman kasi. This team is strong once it gets all its all cylinders firing synchronously. I pray they do it in time for the FF. Let's hope the other teams vying for playoff stumble along the way, so catching up for us will be less of a stress and burden.

bugleboy
07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
ESCALERA JR. and knightrider -- It looks like we have two good teams instead of one great one. We have chemistry problems when we try to mix members of the first team and the second team together. It's only Racal who's acting as the fulcrum of the two groups. Hopefully, we will get this jelling problem out of the way so that we can focus on winning more games.

Things have gotten from bad to worse. According to the NCAA Twitter account, Coach Caloy and Mark Cruz have been suspended for one game (the one against Benilde). Warnings have been slapped on Racal, Gabawan, and Publico.

Here's the link to the reason why the ruckus unfolded: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ejected-letran-coach-garcia-slams-unfair-ncaa-referee-claims-official-threatened-to-beat-up-mark-cruz

bugleboy
07-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Re Tampus, marahil mas maganda nga ang offer ng kabila. Sayang lang.

knightrider
07-15-2014, 02:43 PM
It's ugly when referees decide games. This could have been avoided if we pummeled the opponent from the start.

bugleboy
07-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Correct. We allowed this game to get away from us, then tried to make up towards the end. Too late. Tapos nakialam pa yung ref.

bugleboy
07-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Some geniuses over at the other forum are making snide remarks ("Letran being Letran") about what happened during this ruckus with the erring ref. As if they haven't had players suspended for openly hitting other players or starting fights with women volleyball players in their own campus. Bedans being Bedans?!

Please lang. Tigilan na natin ang pagpapanggap. Let's just keep the commentaries to those that are directly related to basketball.

bugleboy
07-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Let's see what happens with this move. http://www.rappler.com/sports/university/ncaa/63405-letran-coach-garcia-calls-for-ref-borbe-s-ncaa-ban

bugleboy
07-21-2014, 05:42 AM
It seems that there was a tangential effect. The NCAA agreed to tone down Mark Cruz's one-game suspension to a stern warning. He will play in the game against Benilde later.

ESCALERA JR.
07-21-2014, 06:31 PM
O-ohh...we are digging a deep ****hole...time to press the panic button!

bugleboy
07-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Quite frankly, I'm not seeing any improvement as the games go by. In fairness to Benilde, they played like they wanted this game more. I wouldn't put it past CSB Coach Gabby Velasco for wanting to win this over acting Letran coach Mike Buendia, as Buendia was Velasco's main rival for the CSB coaching job more than a year ago. And, good for him, his boys responded.

Our boys, on the other hand, got too affected by the weird calls of the refs in the early goings and lost focus. We consistently got lost in defense. We continued firing from the outside despite the fact that we were drawing blanks, except for Mark Cruz. There were sporadic attempts at isolation plays, but almost nothing more sophisticated than that. On the whole, Benilde did everything right; we did the opposite.

I know that our boys have it in them to perform to the best of their ability, playing through injuries and bum calls. But they have to do this themselves. Coach Caloy can only show the way, and we who are alumni, students and supporters will support them all we can. Kaya pa iyan!

knightrider
07-22-2014, 10:15 PM
The Knights loss to the Blazers is not as bad as the fiasco "practice" amongst Gilas and the NBA players. Shame on you PLDT! Same on you MVP! You have no respect for Filipino lovers of basketball. Boycott TV5 and Aksyon TV!

The organizers should be tarred and feathered. 50K to watch a practice? What do you take Pinoys for, nincompoops? SHAME!

bugleboy
07-24-2014, 07:37 AM
^You're right. That Last Home Stand turned out to be a real fiasco. I hope you weren't part of the crowd that got victimized, knightrider.

BedanRoar
07-27-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.philstar.com/sports/2014/07/23/1349456/whats-happening-letran

bugleboy
07-28-2014, 08:13 AM
^This Pio Garcia kid may have a point.

bugleboy
07-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Looks like we have some major stepping up to do. Benilde beat San Beda and Mapua beat San Sebastian. We have to try extra hard just to stay out of the cellar. Tsk tsk. :(

bugleboy
07-31-2014, 05:26 AM
We barely survived EAC, 63-61. Good vibes na lang muna. Let's just focus on winning, one game at a time.

bugleboy
07-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Box scores from philstar.com

Letran 63 – Racal 19, Cruz 12, Gabawan 8, Tambeling 7, Nambatac 5, Publico 4, Dela Pena 3, Quinto 3, Singontiko 2, Castro 0, Ruaya 0, Luib 0, Apreku 0.

EAC 61 – Tayongtong 17, Happi 13, Aguilar 9, Onwubere 7, Jamon 5, Arquero 5, Serrano 2, Saludo 2, King 1, Santos 0.

Quarterscores: 20-10, 32-16, 45-40, 63-61

ESCALERA JR.
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
We barely survived EAC, 63-61. Good vibes na lang muna. Let's just focus on winning, one game at a time.

Ok na yan...tambak man o one pt basta Win we'll take it.

ESCALERA JR.
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Dbl post......

bugleboy
08-04-2014, 08:29 PM
We lost to Arellano today despite leading by 12 points at one time, controlling Holts and outrebounding them throughout the game. For the most part, our defense held, too, except when we failed to box out Keith Agovida as he attempted three pointblank shots off three offensive rebounds, finally making the last attempt. We had three men in the paint, yet we failed to snag the rebound that crucial time. That proved to be the marginal points that would hold up to the last second. Nakakagigil talaga. We had all of 12 seconds to score, we just failed to do so.

What's obvious is that we cannot win based only on points from Racal and Cruz, and hustle from Gabawan and Ruaya. The others have to step up as well. To be fair, Dela Pena played very well, despite the limited exposure. Singontiko had his moments, but should really be able to sink those gimme baskets. Parang ninenerbyos ang batang ito kapag malapit sa ring. Mas gusto niya yung mga malayong tira.

Calvo also gave a good account of himself, as did Castro. But we really need more contributions from the likes of Nambatac, Tambeling, and Quinto. Tambeling and Quinto, in particular, couldn't get into any sort of offensive rhythm as they were in and out of the ballgame. Nambatac did, however, sink a crucial trey that narrowed the Chiefs' fourth quarter lead.

Although it's been frustrating, there may still be a slim chance here. But we have to start winning somehow. Kapit lang, mga bata! Laban lang!

bugleboy
08-04-2014, 08:31 PM
The scores: (from spin.ph)

AU 63 – Agovida 14, Jalalon 13, Pinto 9, Holts 9, Enriquez 8, Nicholls 3, Gumaru 2, Palma 2, Caperal 2, Hernandez 1, Salcedo 0, Ciriacruz 0, Bangga 0, Ortega 0

CSJL 62 – Racal 14, Cruz 12, Nambatac 9, Ruaya 8, Publico 7, Dela Peña 4, Castro 3, Gabawan 3, Singontiko 2, Calvo 0, Tambeling 0, Apreku 0, Quinto 0 Quarterscores: 8-16, 31-34, 48-49, 63-62

Sam Miguel
08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Losing Raymund Almazan seems to be more serious than was first figured. Without the 6-foot-7 defensive and rebounding presence inside, the Knights are finding it harder to execute even with three of the best players in the NCAA on their roster. Kevin Racal, Mark Cruz and Ray Nambatac are still getting numbers, but without Almazan serving as insurance off both boards, and as a last line of defense, the three perimeter players are finding the goings tougher than expected. Coach Caloy Garcia might want to play possession by possession in the halfcourt if he cannot get rebounds and fuel his transition game. Let Cruz go to the dribble-penetration and maybe run some quick drive-draw or give-go sets with Nambatac and Racal.

bugleboy
08-07-2014, 04:36 PM
^Amen to that, Sam. So far, Coach Caloy has adjusted mainly by using Cruz as an off-the-bench sparkplug, which has worked to some extent. Re dribble-penetration and drive-draw, Cruz has done this sporadically, with his main targets being Racal and Quinto. Cruz's tactic of choice has been the set shot and the stop-and-pop from around 15 feet. You're right in your observation, though. Doing this will make our offense less predictable and will give Nambatac and Racal more chances at the basket.

So far, we're getting by almost solely on individual talent and pure grit (especially by our resident grunts, Gabawan and Ruaya). And, as we can see from the results, we aren't doing too well.

bugleboy
08-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Ouch. This loss really hurt. Ruaya had the insurance baskets in his hands and manages to flub both freethrows. Then we allow the ball to be stolen from Quinto (OK, it looked like a Thompson foul, but even so), and Baloria to score. Then we muff an open three-point shot and a contested two, allowing a rebound from the smallest guy from Perps. We foul Jolangcob and, unlike our guy Ruaya, sinks the insurance baskets. In the inbound play, Racal brushes the ball off the Perps guy's thigh, Mark Cruz scrambles to get it, in the process stepping into the Perps court. Backing violation.

If somebody had written a script for the most number of unfortunate events and snafus in an end-game, he wouldn't even have come up with that one. Simply unbelievable.

But then, it happened. We're now at 2-6 and looking at an end-of-round battle with San Beda. Not the very best of circumstances, but such is the lot of the Knights this season. Still, arriba pa rin! Laban pa rin!

knightrider
08-09-2014, 11:32 PM
I am puzzled. Just because we lost Almazan, it appears that house of cards has come tumbling down. Why am I puzzled? It's because the present line-up we have in terms of rookies and veterans is the one of the better teams we've had in the past few years. We've played stronger in the past with a weaker line-up than this one. Then the answer hits me from out of the blue. It's not because we no longer have the Almazan eraser in the shaded lane. It's because the grind it out gritty stifling defense that characterized the previous Alas' editions of the Knights is nowhere to be seen. We've shut down great offensive teams because of that type of defense. We could have won this and other games if that kind of defense is there. The physicality seen in the "never give in, never give up" teams must be re-instituted if we hope to salvage this campaign.

ESCALERA JR.
08-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Goodluck to our Knights and Squires.

Without a big body to contain Ola, I know this is going to be a struggle for our Knights. The gaping hole left by Almazan is just too wide tofill in by the untested Publico and undersize Ruaya vs the behemoth Nigerian and their more bigger wingmen. Pero ok lang basta wag lang aalagwa ng mahigit sampung puntos early in the game or else mahihirapan humabol. Hope the boys wont just roll over and die....laban lang ng laban at pukpok till the last second. There is pride in losing valiantly...pero malay mo maka SILAT.

ESCALERA JR.
08-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Without a big body to contain Ola, I know this is going to be a struggle for our Knights. The gaping hole left by Almazan is just too wide tofill in by the untested Publico and undersize Ruaya vs the behemoth Nigerian and their more bigger wingmen. Pero ok lang basta wag lang aalagwa ng mahigit sampung puntos early in the game or else mahihirapan humabol. Hope the boys wont just roll over and die....laban lang ng laban at pukpok till the last second. There is pride in losing valiantly...pero malay mo maka SILAT.

knightrider
08-13-2014, 06:34 PM
A Very Loud and Big ARRIBA! 'Nuff said.

bugleboy
08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Puso beats Pusa.

San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez chose to bench star center Ola Adeogun, ostensibly for disciplinary reasons, and Letran came away with a resounding 64-53 triumph over the off-form Red Lions.

Actually, the Knights didn't play particularly well; it's just that the Red Lions played so much worse. They were throwing the ball away on almost all their possessions in the early goings, and kept on throwing brick after brick.

Our resident stars, Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal, also had a terrible time from the field. I counted just two conversions from the numerous field attempts that they threw up. It's fortunate that San Beda kept on fouling Cruz, so he was able to make up for his atrocious field shooting from the free throw line. Good performers for the Knights were Rey Nambatac (with his steals, assists, and treys), Daryl Singontiko (for his able shackling of Baser Amer and his timely shots), Jamil Gabawan (for his overall hustle) and Ford Ruaya (for his defense on Art dela Cruz).

We had a 23-point lead late in the ball game but eventually this was whittled down by the Red Lions because we chose to play the clock instead of aggressively attacking the basket. We had two consecutive 24-second violations as a result. We also showed a dismaying tendency to panic against the press, the San Beda version of which wasn't even that particularly good.

Nonetheless, a win -- whether by 1 point or 100 -- is still a win.

Maybe San Beda should have just fielded in their much-vaunted Super Six. Baka nanalo pa sila.

bugleboy
08-13-2014, 06:43 PM
I forgot to give props to Von Tambeling and Isan Dela Pena. Huwag lang masyadong gigil, mga bata. Malayo ang mararating niyo!

ESCALERA JR.
08-13-2014, 08:05 PM

...pero malay mo maka SILAT.

Nagdilang angel ako!...While their main man wasnt around patrolling, na ambush naten sila-bigtime! I almost gave up on our boys hoursbefore the game started, thinking Ola would dominate and vent his ire on us to make a statement for being snubbed in the AllStar. Haveyou any idea why he wasnt fielded, bugle?

Whatever their reason, its their call. And the result was loud and clear...mano y mano, all things being equal, we will beat them, convincingly.

Onward to the 2nd round. The hunt is on to the Final 4....
Arriba!

bugleboy
08-13-2014, 09:29 PM
ESCALERA JR., ayon sa chismax sa kabila, hindi raw nag-attend ng tatlong practices. Consequently, he didn't know the plays daw. I don't know what plays Coach Boyet was talking about, as what I saw was a team in almost total disarray.

Another theory has it that Ola was feeling despondent about not being made part of the NCAA All-Star lineup. Nagtampo, kung baga. Ang babaw, kung totoo ito.

bugleboy
08-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Props also to Rey Publico. Great defense on Kyle Pascual earlier; that block on him was spot-on! Also, good movement without the ball, plus the needed rebounds and taps. Arriba to you, sir!

ESCALERA JR.
08-14-2014, 03:02 AM
Bawi na agad ung mga naunang talo naten with this win. Cant believe the margin at the end of the first half. They were only able to score 5pts in the 2qtr? Ang tinding depensa ginawa naten dun...halos nakipagpalitan na ng mukha sa sobrang dikit ng bantay. Malas pa si K.Racal nyan ha...he was at his worst offensive wise. There really is something to cheer about sa ating Knights. Kahit lugmok sa standings, always a surprise win is never far behind. Yeahhhh.

bugleboy
08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Our second round schedule:

Aug. 22 Vs. JRU
Aug . 27 Vs. UPHSD
Sept. 3 Vs. EAC
Sept. 8 Vs. SSCR
Sept. 13 Vs. SBC
Sept. 19 Vs. CSB
Sept. 24 Vs. AU
Sept. 29 Vs. MIT
Oct. 3 Vs. LPU

"Grant me courage, oh Lord,
For I am thy servant,
and gird me with strength onto battle,
that I may crush thine enemies,
as dust before the wind,
Amen. Rise a Knight".

~Knight's Prayer in Season of the Witch

ESCALERA JR.
08-22-2014, 08:11 PM
The smallest guy on the court but with the biggest heart...Arriba Mark Cruz! Nice OT win for our Knights and Squires.

bugleboy
08-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Woohoo! Keeping my fingers crossed...

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/mark-cruz-late-game-explosion-stee

bugleboy
08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
End game fail again.

We needed a three-point shot, but unfortunately, the guy who had made three treys during the game -- Mark Cruz -- was not able to get himself squared for the shot. The ball was tossed around like a hot potato from Rey Nambatac to Ford Ruaya then finally Nambatac was able to a fire a desperation shot at the buzzer... only to miss.

Why we still do not have a play for situations like this, despite the fact that we have been in innumerable situations and collapses like this during this season -- I do not know.

Still and all, we cannot blame the boys too much. They did try. It was just that the Altas -- especially Baloria, Thompson, and Arboleda -- were just a step quicker most of the time. Even Jolangcob seemed extra motivated today, and managed to score some pivotal points. On our side, Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal played their hearts out, but they were checked during the last quarter. Rey Nambatac, Von Tambeling, and Jamil Gabawan also chipped in some needed points, especially when our two main gunners were off the floor. Rey Publico had his moments, particularly in rebounding and shot blocks. Man, that block on Alano was sweet!

Re Gabawan, you really have to feel for this guy. He was easily the most hardworking Knight out there today outside of Cruz and Racal. And he clearly did not deserve that bum call on Arboleda, which led to his fouling out from the game. Still, ganoon lang siguro talaga ang breaks ng laro. Ang hirap kasi, pag dikdikan ang laban, laging dehado ang Knights sa tawagan. Kung mayroong superstar calls sa kabila, mayroon naman laging scapegoat calls sa side natin.

But bemoaning bum calls is never Letran's style. We will just have to fight through all these adversities.

I'm not one to give up just yet. Mathematically, we still have an outside chance at getting into the Final Four. But we really have to start winning again.

Go fight! Thumbs up! Arriba Letran!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/perpetual-help-letran-ncaa-season-90-juneric-baloria-earl-thompson

knightrider
08-27-2014, 10:42 PM
End game fail again.

Why we still do not have a play for situations like this, despite the fact that we have been in innumerable situations and collapses like this during this season -- I do not know.

WHY, indeed?

bugleboy
09-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Think positive na lang muna tayo.

Just found this video, made by Coach Ronjay in July this year, of Asi Taulava giving advice to the Knights. Hope they take it to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPMuEkpsPY

bugleboy
09-04-2014, 02:09 PM
One game at a time.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/letran-knights-kevin-racal-eac-generals-ncaa-season-90

ESCALERA JR.
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Buhay pa!

K-Racs has another year w the knights, one more season magpahinog, magpakitang Gilas...then off to join his tokayo at ROS.

Our next game should be easy picking vs baste but after that we would be threading dangerous waters...Beda, Benilde then Arellano.
This stretch would determine if we qualify or not. One loss would put too much
pressure, 2 losses we kiss our campaign goodbye.

Kaya pa yan..Arriba...PUSO!

knightrider
09-05-2014, 04:06 PM
My favorite Atenean player, a real true blued eagle, unlike some blue and white wannabes, said as lifted from the Inquirer "...he is against drafting imports, especially for college teams. He said it would take away opportunities for local players and may deprive “our big men” who play center or power forward from reaching their “full potential.”

“When schools seriously recruit foreigners and give them very attractive packages, you tend to question the underlying values of the game and the school as well. What’s more important? Academics or basketball? Is it always about winning? Or is it about developing student-athletes?” said the former college basketball star."

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/163387/philippines-hoops-progress-reflects-sports-surge#ixzz3CUOtoVD8
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

bugleboy
09-05-2014, 10:43 PM
knightrider -- Actually, Chris Tiu isn't alone in his observations. I've heard that from Doug Kramer and Coach Chot Reyes, too -- as well as coaches Pido Jarencio, Tommy Manotoc, and Yeng Guiao (see http://sports.inquirer.net/162298/coaches-collegiate-foreigners-sabotage-ph-big-man).

Anyway, this situation will solve itself in the NCAA within a few years. And it seems that the UAAP is poised to follow that same path.

For now, pabayaan na lang natin yung mga ibang koponan with their recruitment of imports. As of now, it's still within the rules. So I suggest we leave them be... for now. ;)

knightrider
09-06-2014, 10:00 AM
For now, pabayaan na lang natin yung mga ibang koponan with their recruitment of imports.

IMPORTS! You hit it on the noggin'! To modify a Shakespearean quote "An IMPORT by any other name is still an IMPORT!" Student-athletes daw sila-- go tell that to the marines!

abcdef
09-06-2014, 01:35 PM
With all due respect sir. . . Raymond Almazan went AWOL for 1 and a half semester and was still eligible to play the NCAA, did he even finish his schooling? .Is that what you call a student athlete? By definition Ola is a Student Athlete, an import is someone who SOLELY play basketball and do not study.

Oh and by the way, you forgot that your school IMPORTED a player as well. . . tu quo que.

tintin
09-06-2014, 06:35 PM
With all due respect din, mga sir...From what I know, Sudan Daniel stayed in San Beda after playing out his eligibility in the NCAA to finish his studies.

abcdef
09-06-2014, 09:37 PM
There is something that we call selective memory. . . . anyway, i dont expect any of you to answer what happened to Almazan's AWOL. You know STUDENT then Athlete? Right mga boss? Have a good day. . .

ESCALERA JR.
09-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Aba eh may mga bisita pala tayo dito, tuloy...tuloy po kayo mga sirs. Please make yourselves comfortable guys. Ah erm bugle...knightrider paki asikaso naman mga bisita naten...

bugleboy
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
To our Bedan friends -- Please note that the link provided by knightrider pertains to a quote from Chris Tiu. You want to argue about that, argue with Tiu. I-Twitter niyo na lang siya.

As I wrote in my post earlier, this issue in the NCAA will become a non-issue in a few years, so arguing about whether or not imports should be recruited will become moot and academic. Re the other issue about student athletes, the league and the schools have rules about that. AFAIK, all the schools follow the league rules. Otherwise, the schools concerned would have been suspended.

Re imports attending classes, that's good to hear. But that's only to be expected, since these are the league rules anyway. Student-athletes have to pass at least 60% of their classes to be rendered eligible.

Re Almazan, it is not true that he went AWOL for 1 and a half sems. He went AWOL FROM THE TEAM for around 1 1/2 months because of some issues with Coach Louie Alas, most probably about playing time. Having taught at Letran during the time when Alas was coach, I know that the school is quite strict about work done by students as well as attendance. You don't do the work, you don't pass. Period.

Coach Louie himself was quite famous for pushing his athletes to attend classes and pass courses, resulting in around a 70% graduation rate. Almazan, although he has not yet graduated, did say that he intends to come back to finish his degree. For his sake, I hope that he does, since we all know that pro ball is not a lifelong profession. My point is, let's not take all those things we read in the papers or the net as gospel truth. Some of these are, for want of a better term, press releases to gloss over team issues that we would rather not talk about in public.

Joescoundrel
09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Makidaan na din muna mga kaibigan.

Chris Tiu needs to grow the hell up on this imports business.

My main point favoring imports has remained the same since the beginning: any college wanting to be among the best in the world should have its fair share of international students, and these international students, if qualified, should be allowed to join varsity athletics just like any other bona fide student.

Kung kunwari ang US NCAA biglang sinabing ang pwede lang lumahok sa US NCAA ay mga natural born white Americans I'm sure anlaking gulo mangyayari.

Kung gusto talaga natin ma-develop ang mga players natin they need to play against bigger, stronger, better players. Gusto natin ma-develop mga big man natin, they need to play against bigger, stronger, better big men.

Kung kunwari si Norbert Torres ng Lasalle or si Ponso Gotladera ng Ateneo ay kaya makipagsabayan kina Charles Mammie ng UE, Alfred Aroga ng NU, at Karim Abdul ng UST, that will be better for Norbert and Ponso in the long term. Kung diyan pa lang hindi na nila kaya, what the hell are they going to do against PBA imports, or even veteran PBA big men?

A higher level of competition is what will make players better. Iidolohin ba natin kunwari si Manny Pacquiao kung hindi niya tinalo mga gaya nina Oscar Dela Hoya, Ricky Hatton, or even Juan Manuel Marquez? Hindi ka magiging world class kung ang kaya mo lang mga kapwa mo Pinoy.

Sa kaso naman ni Raymund Almazan, I'm not sure if I got the entire story as it happened, but yes, he did pull a disappearing act in his last season, and yes it had something to do with team issues. A very good and generous friend of mine had a lot to do with getting Raymund back on the team again. He seems to be a good kid, at least as far as our dealings with him, and I really do hope he finishes his college degree.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I did not name any team. There are many teams with IMPORTS out there. The guilty may be the ones who felt alluded to. Those with mercenary IMPORTS.

The issue is not Almazan. He is not an IMPORT.

Anyway, my opinion on collegiate IMPORTS stays. I'm not alone. Ask Tiu, Kramer, Guiao, Jarencio etc.

There are those who may feel these players are not IMPORTS. I respect that opinion. But don't sell me that crap. I won't respect those who do.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Re Almazan, it is not true that he went AWOL for 1 and a half sems. He went AWOL FROM THE TEAM for around 1 1/2 months because of some issues with Coach Louie Alas, most probably about playing time. Having taught at Letran during the time when Alas was coach, I know that the school is quite strict about work done by students as well as attendance. You don't do the work, you don't pass. Period.

Asinine nincompoops who don't know the real score have a penchant for purporting rumors as facts.

The above statement from an insider sets the facts.

abcdef
09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
And Letran NEVER had an import? tell that to the Marines , Navy, and Air FOrce. . .Sama mo na ang PNP at Security Guards. Better yet kay Manong Barbero. . .

AWOL from the team? So pag pumapasok siya hinde siya nakikita ng mga kaklase niyang Basketball players? Okies.

bugleboy
09-08-2014, 11:11 AM
@Joescoundrel -- My point has always been that I don't care about whether schools use imports or not, as long as there are no rules that are circumvented. However, to my mind, there are compelling reasons both for or against the usage of imports, particularly in college sports.

On the pro-import side: I agree that having imports will enable Filipino players to develop better, as they are forced to play against bigger and more athletically gifted opponents.

On the anti-import side: But we also have to see our schools not only as developers of athletes and providers of sports entertainment, but more importantly, as providers of opportunities for better lives. Whether we like it or not, the Philippines is still a third-world country where only about 20% reach college. The rest of the 80% have to make do with less than that, and consequently, suffer in terms of lack of economic opportunities available for those without much education. For the most part, this is still a country where higher education virtually guarantees a better life. In other words, since we are still a less prosperous country, we ought to be able to provide opportunities FIRST to our citizens BEFORE others.

Now, you make a good point about the US NCAA, where foreigners are allowed to play. But they do that in order to serve their interests, rather than serving some vague altruistic goal. People who have studied in the US attest to the enticements the US provides to foreign students to stay in the country and ply their trade there. That's good, of course, because it serves their interests and incidentally, also the interest of the foreign students. In other words, the US is exhibiting its largesse because of its relative prosperity. Sadly, our situation here in the Philippines is not yet at that level. Our problems are more basic than that.

Having said all that, I still will not take it against some schools if they want to persist with the recruitment of imports. I respect their stand. I hope, though, that they also respect ours.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 12:41 PM
And Letran NEVER had an import? tell that to the Marines , Navy, and Air FOrce. . .Sama mo na ang PNP at Security Guards. Better yet kay Manong Barbero. . .

Name the IMPORT! I challenge you, name the IMPORT!

I don't recall our team having an IMPORT. If ever there was one, again, if ever, that's in the past.

I am against IMPORTS, especially in our team.

Again , I hurl the challenge, name the IMPORT!

But you do acknowledge you have IMPORTS. You like IMPORTS, right, Mr Marine?

knightrider
09-08-2014, 01:06 PM
AWOL from the team? So pag pumapasok siya hinde siya nakikita ng mga kaklase niyang Basketball players? Okies.

Name names. Sinong mga kaklase? Show us Almazan's attendance record to substantiate your fantasy, er claim. Get sworn affidavits from the professors that the guy was absent.

I hurl the challenge name NAMES!!! Show proof!

knightrider
09-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Name names! Sinong mga kaklase?

I hurl the challenge, name NAMES!!! Show the the attendance record. Get a sworn affidavit from the professor regarding his absence.

Again, I hurl the challenge, name NAMES!!!

abcdef
09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
http://www.philstar.com/unblogged/articles/2012/07/09/826024/seething-hate

Ok. . . .

I wont feed your trollishness anyway. . . .

knightrider
09-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah? Go feed yourself!

abcdef
09-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Just read the link I posted for you. . . Maybe, JUST MAYBE, you would be enlightened. . . :)

knightrider
09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
The author made conclusions based on sweeping and whimsical generalizations NOT founded in fact.

The premise that not being in favor of IMPORTS equates to hating foreigners is pure unadulterated hogwash.

Blaming the O.P.s without checking the facts, shows the article is already flawed and runs smack of propaganda to muddle import issue to justify the importation.

UST is an O.P. institution they have Kareem Abdul.

But that is the author's opinion, and I let I go at that.

But to suggest I buy it as gospel truth, I sorry I'm not as gullible as you are.

Hearsays are not facts, no matter how much you repeat them nor believe them to be.

abcdef
09-08-2014, 06:37 PM
You where asking about a Letran import. . . The Author named a name. . . Did you not read that?

This is what you said:

"The author made conclusions based on sweeping and whimsical generalizations NOT founded in fact."

"IMPORTS! You hit it on the noggin'! To modify a Shakespearean quote "An IMPORT by any other name is stillan IMPORT!" Student-athletes daw sila-- go tell that to the marines!"

So who is making the conclusion based on sweeping and whimsical generalization? FACT: they are Student Athletes. Raymond Alamazan did not finish his College Degree. You only want to here what you want to hear.

As per a bedan poster: Winners Train, Losers Complain. . . . . So see you on Saturday?I will be at the back of the Red Lions Bench. During Halftime do you want to have a chat? maybe while having a smoke? Lets just talk about your deep seated fear or hate against Foreign Players. I am a licensed counsellor , I will offer my services for free.

Just a heads up, have you watch Gilas Pilipinas? Did you like the way Andray Blatche play? Were you soooo proud of him because he was an import of the Philippine team? Did you watch Croatia with there foreign player? how about spain? I do hope you condemned Gilas Pilipinas for taking a way the spot that is supposed to be for Beau Belga, Dillinger, washington, fonacier, abueva and all the centers in the PBA and the Philippines.

Lets just have a chat. PM me if you are interested.

bugleboy
09-08-2014, 06:57 PM
^@abcdef: Come on. That was one foreign player in the last 30 years (or maybe even more than that). Hardly the same as stocking up on imports year after year, and making these imports the centerpiece of a school's athletic strategy. Surely even you can see the difference.

Also, as we have continually said here, those links and news clippings about the pros and cons of imports in the collegiate leagues are merely opinions. Does a blogger's or columnist's opinion count more than that of those of PBA players and coaches? In the end, even that will not matter as they are not the ones who will determine the direction of the NCAA. The Mancom and the Policy Board will.

bugleboy
09-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Down-the-wire game again by the Knights, the only positive thing being that we came up on top this time against the SSCR Stags, 75-73.

Kevin Racal topscored with 20 points, but the Knights very nearly succumbed to pressure in the last few seconds as Mark Cruz and Rey Nambatac missed three crucial freethrows that could have put the game beyond reach. We were just lucky that Balucanag still had the ball in his hands as time expired, and so we escaped with a win.

To be fair, Gabawan also had a good game, especially since he was the one who issued that pinpoint pass to Rey Publico that gave Letran the marginal points. But major props go to CJ Perez and Bradwyn Guinto, who played splendidly out there.

We really have to play much better than this if we are to have a chance at snagging a Final Four slot.

bugleboy
09-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Forgot to mention that Von Tambeling and yes, Mark Cruz (despite the missed free throw) also had good games. I'm glad that Tambeling is no longer just settling for outside shots and is starting to slash when the opportunity presents itself. He is also beginning to apply himself on the defensive side.

Mark Cruz started out hot but his offense petered out in the fourth quarter because of his extended time on the bench. His understudy, John Paul Calvo, ably quarterbacked the team during his absence and managed to keep our heads above the water. I like this little guy's spunk -- never losing his concentration even after getting blocked at least two times. Way to go, kid.

The only drawback to this extended time for Calvo is that it wreaks havoc on Cruz's rhythm. When it came time for him to get back into the game, Cruz's hot hand had cooled. He did sink one last trey in the fourth quarter, though.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Just a heads up, have you watch Gilas Pilipinas? Did you like the way Andray Blatche play? Were you soooo proud of him because he was an import of the Philippine team?

Hey, get your facts straight. Andray Blatche is NOT an IMPORT. He is a FILIPINO citizen. How can he play for the Philippine team if he is an IMPORT? Don't you know the difference? PILIPINO siya. Are you saying he is not FILIPINO because you consider him an import? Get real.

If ever I need the services of a counsellor, thanks for your offer of free services, but I'll need a good one, so I'll have to pay for his services.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Just a heads up, have you watch Gilas Pilipinas? Did you like the way Andray Blatche play? Were you soooo proud of him because he was an import of the Philippine team?

Hey, get your facts straight. Andray Blatche is NOT an IMPORT. He is a FILIPINO citizen. How can he play for the Philippine team if he is an IMPORT? Don't you know the difference? PILIPINO siya. Are you saying he is not FILIPINO because you consider him an import? Get real.

If ever I need the services of a counsellor, thanks for your offer of free services, but I'll need a good one, so I'll have to pay for his services.

knightrider
09-08-2014, 10:23 PM
... John Paul Calvo, ably quarterbacked the team during his absence and managed to keep our heads above the water. I like this little guy's spunk -- never losing his concentration even after getting blocked at least two times. Way to go, kid.

Calvo should be given more playing time and included in the rotation. He has the potential to be a good to great PG. I prefer him to Luib as Mark Cruz's reliever. Already on his third year, Luib still hasn't gotten into the groove. Parang kinakabahan pa rin.

xent
09-09-2014, 12:13 AM

He may be a "Filipino citizen" but he's naturalized. Thus, he can't play for any PBA Team (only whose mother or father who is a natural born Filipino citizen can play). Technically, he is an import because we "Naturalized" him to play for the Philippine Team.

By the logic you've given being Naturalized=Not an Import, I guess it's OK for collegiate teams to get a foreign player, naturalize them, have them play for their school and shut critics up because technically, the player is not an import because s/he is naturalized?

knightrider
09-09-2014, 12:21 AM
The rules of the PBA does not apply to citizenship. Pinoy si Blatche. Technically an import? Review your course on citizenship. Don't brand him what he is not.

As for collegiate teams getting foreign players and having them naturalized, I have no problem with that. Their allegiance will be to the Philippines. Heck, they can even play for the RP team. Pilipino sila. How about the imports? Do they swear allegiance to the Philippines?

xent
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
The rules of the PBA does not apply to citizenship. Pinoy si Blatche. Technically an import? Review your course on citizenship. Don't brand him what he is not.

As for collegiate teams getting a foreign players and getting them naturalized, I have no problem with that. Their allegiance will be to the Philippines and they can even play for the RP team. Pilipino sila. How about the imports? Do they swear allegiance to the Philippines?

So after all the articles that were written and posted on this thread saying that "imports" hinder the development of pinoy bigs, that it's more disadvantageous in the long run for the future of Philippine Basketball becomes moot and academic once a team "Naturalizes" their "import"?

knightrider
09-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Kung si Blatche na Filipino, gusto ninyong tawaging IMPORT, pero yung mga hindi Pilipino na IMPORTS ayaw niyong tawaging IMPORT, hey what gives?

xent
09-09-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm just basically following your logic... You said Blatche is not an import because he's naturalized thus making him Filipino. And you said you're OK with collegiate teams using naturalized "imports" due to their "Allegiance to our country". But then "imports" hinder the development of local big men and you don't want that.

abcdef
09-09-2014, 07:37 AM
We did not have a foreign student athlete when we won against San Sebastian? We dominated with 18-0 record. . . Did you acknowledge that fact?

The thing is I hate to see us discriminate student athletes na foreigners because they form part of the betterment of the NCAA. I experienced being a foreign student athlete, I played for the Volleyball team of University of South Australia as a Libero. They did not discriminate me because I am a student and I am deserving of the spot, I may have hindered the spot of an Australian up and coming Libero JUST BECAUSE I AM A FOREIGNER. In the same manner as the Millions of Filipinos abroad who are IMPORTED by other countries to work for them , provide services, et al. . . Come on guys, we are looking at the bigger picture here. How many Letran Alumni works abroad and IMPORTED to do their services.

Knightrider you called me out to name names for Letran IMPORTS, I gave you a name, I guess you dont know your history. Lost your credibility there. One import is STILL an import. Sam Ekwe was VERY RAW. Boyet Bautista was playing around him before. Su Daniels was hardly a power forward, Ola is not the best import either if you could read in our Den how we are very particular about Ola.

@xent I guess no other reasoning would be as clear as what you have given, it is up to this knightrider to accept facts without bias.

I still have a standing invitation for you knightrider, even if you declined I believe you need help because racism is a psychological disorder. . . Have you been overseas yet?

Lastly, please stop your All Filipino Title. You are becoming the butt of all jokes, there is only one title, the NCAA Champions.

Asa sa import is just plain wrong because Letran for all I know ay UMAASA din sa Foreign Tie ups to IMPROVE.

That being said babawi kami sa sabado. Let us be good examples to the younger generation of Letranites and Bedans. Lets respect one another and cheer for our teams. That " Tang Ina Mo" chant was just very looooow. . . . If anybody here care to meet uo with me, message me, I would be at the games and we can have a friendly chat about improving the quality of fan support to the NCAA.

UIOGD>

knightrider
09-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Your rantings doesn't make sense. It seems you're piqued. Since you're licensed counselor, why don't you do psychotherapy on yourself.

Be very careful before you make baseless accusations that I'm a racist.

knightrider
09-09-2014, 11:03 AM
You where asking about a Letran import. . . The Author named a name. . . Did you not read that?

I asked YOU to name Letran’s import. You did not.

You directed me to an article by a person who gave a name William Johnson. I asked YOU.

Since you could not name an import, you copped out by letting him do the naming.

Since you have a proclivity of using links, allow me to do the same.

Anyway to simplify matters for you, let’s just consider these athletes as they are described.

On William Johnson - “…Jerry Ruiz fouled San Sebastian's Arnold Adlawan with .9 seconds left in regulation; Adlawan scored on a free-throw to tie the game 82–all. In the overtime period, Letran never trailed as American foreign-student William Johnson and Roberto Ruiz prevented San Sebastian's Eugene Quilban and foreign-student Napoleon Hatton from scoring.”

Again, let’s consider these athletes as they are described. Import ba ang tawag sa kanya?

Check this link out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Season_63_basketball_tournaments

Let’s consider these other players as they are described:

“Sam Ekwe paved the way for College teams both in NCAA and UAAP to import African players. Sam Ekwe was the original “dominant” import in college hoops. Sudan Daniel, Karim Abdul would not be around if not for Sam Ekwe who was so dominant in his NCAA years that landed him 2 MVP awards and 3 Championship rings.”

Oy…original import pa ang description. Kung original import siya, does it not follow that those previous to him are not imports?
Another one:

“Sudan validated the “theory” set by Sam Ekwe in bringing “imports” to universities by showing his dominance in the NCAA.” Oh… another import validating another.

One is the original import the other is a validating import.

Who said they are imports? Find out and check this link out: http://kingoface.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/the-7-most-dominant-players-in-ncaa-basketball-history-1980-2012-will-the-beast-calvin-abueva-make-the-cut/

People are astute to know the difference between a foreign student player and an import. Why can't you?

‘Nuff said.

abcdef
09-09-2014, 11:04 AM
^ So tell me why you are NOT racist?

Wala ka namang sinasagot sa mga FACTS na binibigay ko sa iyo. Iniimbitihan kita sa isang usapang harapan. Di ka naman pumapayag, binibigyan ka ng pagkakataon na sagutin ang mga tanong ko di ka naman sumasagot. Yan na ba ang kaya mo isagot sa akin?

Tigilan na natin ang labanang kesyo may IMPORT kayo. Bakit di kaya kayo magbigay ng oipportunity sa mga FILIPINO BIG MAN na sinasabi ong nawawalan ng tsansa makapag laro dahil sa Isang import namin? Kung totoong maraming big man na nawawalan ng posisyon, bakit di niyo kunin? Di ba wala nga kayong big man?

Makipag harapan ka nalang kasi kesa puro dito tayo nag uusap , kahit anu pa i type ko eh di mo naman papansinin. Kung harapan tayo edi mas maganda? Nag ka kilala pa tayo. diba?

Tama na yang parinig parinig para lang yan sa mga walang bayag. Eto ako niyaya kita na makipag kita sa akin at makipag usap tungkol sa usaping IMPORT. Antagal na kasi niyan eh. . . .Tara tuldukan na natin. Kilala ka naman siguro dito sa grupo niyo. Tara mag kita kita tayong lahat sa game sa sabado. Kesa parinigan lang ng parinigan.

12 palang andoon na ako para sa Juniors. PM niyo ako dito para makapag usap na at matapos na yang issue niyo sa import at sa issue niyong dapat all filipino lang.

abcdef
09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I asked YOU to name Letran’s import. You did not.

You directed me to an article by a person who gave a name William Johnson. I asked YOU.

Since you could not name an import, you copped out by letting him do the naming.

Since you have a proclivity of using links, allow me to do the same.

Anyway to simplify matters for you, let’s just consider these athletes as they are described.

On William Johnson - “…Jerry Ruiz fouled San Sebastian's Arnold Adlawan with .9 seconds left in regulation; Adlawan scored on a free-throw to tie the game 82–all. In the overtime period, Letran never trailed as American foreign-student William Johnson and Roberto Ruiz prevented San Sebastian's Eugene Quilban and foreign-student Napoleon Hatton from scoring.”

Again, let’s consider these athletes as they are described. Import ba ang tawag sa kanya?

Check this link out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Season_63_basketball_tournaments

Let’s consider these other players as they are described:

“Sam Ekwe paved the way for College teams both in NCAA and UAAP to import African players. Sam Ekwe was the original “dominant” import in college hoops. Sudan Daniel, Karim Abdul would not be around if not for Sam Ekwe who was so dominant in his NCAA years that landed him 2 MVP awards and 3 Championship rings.”

Oy…original import pa ang description. Kung original import siya, does it not follow that those previous to him are not imports?
Another one:

“Sudan validated the “theory” set by Sam Ekwe in bringing “imports” to universities by showing his dominance in the NCAA.” Oh… another import validating another.

One is the original import the other is a validating import.

Who said they are imports? Find out and check this link out: http://kingoface.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/the-7-most-dominant-players-in-ncaa-basketball-history-1980-2012-will-the-beast-calvin-abueva-make-the-cut/

People are astute to know the difference between a foreign student player and an import. Why can't you?

‘Nuff said.

Pinagtatawanan niyo kaya si Sam Ekwe noon? Diba pinag lalaruan lang ni Bautista si Ekwe? Dominant ba tawag doon? Ni hindi nga marunong mag basketball si Ekwe nung dumating sa Pilipinas.

knightrider
09-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Sam Ekwe was VERY RAW. Boyet Bautista was playing around him before. Su Daniels was hardly a power forward, Ola is not the best import either if you could read in our Den how we are very particular about Ola.

Well, you acknowledge it. Imports nga sila! Your words not mine.

knightrider
09-09-2014, 11:16 AM
^ So tell me why you are NOT racist?

Hey, you're the one who made the accusations, so you prove it. Why pass the buck to me? Ha ha ha...

knightrider
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
...you could read in our Den...

That's your place of comfort not mine. It's a place perhaps of angry people, extreme disadvantage, antagonism and hostility. Do it in your domain not ours.

O... baka sabihin mo na naman walang basehan yung sinabi ako above.

Check this out: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lion's%20den

O, yan very apt ang description.

abcdef
09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Reductio ad absurdum. . . any way. Good Luck and I hope to see you on Saturday.

ESCALERA JR.
09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Ok...abc you have said your piece...let's leave it at that. Everyone's welcome to air their opinions here in our thread pero pakiusap lang brother...please...pls lang tone down your message and refrain from issuing challenges to meet up. Letran's stand on this issue remains the same as before. If you dont like what you read or see here, continue your discussion in your own turf. Goodluck on Saturdays game.

bugleboy
09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
ESCALERA JR., can we also reiterate that this is the exact wrong forum to pontificate about the validity of imports?

I mean, if people are so incensed about this, then perhaps they should organize a protest against the NCAA, which has already decided to stop the recruitment of these imports by 2020. After all, the NCAA is a collegial body. It presumably can still be swayed by powerful and convincing arguments. Perhaps NCAA school reps ought to do their jobs, state their case properly, and convince enough voting officials to overturn the decision. Any which way the board turns, I couldn't care less. After all, our school has its own convictions, and I don't see those changing any time soon.

On topic this time: Our Knights will have a whale of a fight on their hands on Saturday. We are fighting for our Final Four chances here. A loss to the Red Lions will make it extremely hard for us to catch up with the F4 tail-enders UPHR, Benilde and JRU. On the other hand, the Red Lions will be fighting for redemption as they strive to take away the sting of that rather shocking first round loss.

David and Goliath match, if I've ever seen one. Here's hoping this match ends like the Biblical story.

ESCALERA JR.
09-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Exactly bugle...masyadong mainit ulo ng isang bisita naten...wrong forum dapat dun sa pex mas masaya...dito boring .

On topic, we got another lease on life courtesy of our kapit bahay mit. Dadaan tayo sa butas ng karayom, and we have to get pass 3other teams to make it.

Anu kaya diskarte ng coach nila...mag all-filipino kaya uli?..ooops sowiii

Kaya pa...laban lang ng laban.

bugleboy
09-14-2014, 07:43 AM
I wasn't able to watch this game, and only got results through Twitter. I was disheartened at the enormity of the point spread and am wondering whether we have a crisis of leadership. While it may be true that some crucial calls made by officials were wrong, as admitted by Comm. Bai Cristobal (http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/letran-caloy-garcia-ncaa-season-90-knights-red-lions and http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/ncaa-commissioner-bai-cristobal-referees-mistake-ncaa-90-letran-san-beda), they should be able to rise above those calls.

Pero Arriba pa rin! Laban pa rin!

knightrider
09-14-2014, 08:19 AM
That bum call on Racal's 3 pointer would have made an impact if the game was close. But the ball bounced in favor of the other team. No excuses. Arriba all the way!

ESCALERA JR.
09-14-2014, 10:46 AM
There goes our campaign, the slim chance has become even slimmer. Benilde, JRU or Perps need to win only 2 more to take 3rd and 4th slots. This time around, our fate is not w/in our hands, pero malay naten...may Himala!

admiral thrawn
09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Double post

admiral thrawn
09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
I hope you guys wont mind me posting here...may napansin ako sa laro ni mark cruz..yes he did play well this season pero parang walang apoy sa laro nya. Kahapon,he did make those jumpers pero parang the kid is just going thru the motions walang sense of urgency. Could it be na hindi hiyang si Cruz sa coach nyo?

Thanks for the space! See you next year Knights!

ESCALERA JR.
09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Everyone is welcome here to post Admiral. Just a fair warning if you may find some posts here not to your liking, remember it would always be biased and Letran-centered for obvious reasons...but the bottomline, this is just all about basketball.

Re: on Mark Cruz, he is now the leader of the team together w Racal. Baka off night lang...if there is something more to it, i really dont know. In the 1st round i read somewhere he was called off for not playing well by coach. Then on the next 2 consecutive games he scored 24 and 27 pts back to back. Blow hot and cold, mahirap naman laging top scorer. Well I just rely on news feeds and updates from bugle and knightrider here and in some social media, maybe they have a better inside info.on this. Sa palagay ko wala naman...sana.

Whatever slim chance we have, we'll be happy to take it...maghihintay na lang kami...ng Himala!

ESCALERA JR.
09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Dbl post....

BedanRoar
09-17-2014, 07:50 AM
I hope you guys wont mind me posting here...may napansin ako sa laro ni mark cruz..yes he did play well this season pero parang walang apoy sa laro nya. Kahapon,he did make those jumpers pero parang the kid is just going thru the motions walang sense of urgency. Could it be na hindi hiyang si Cruz sa coach nyo?

Thanks for the space! See you next year Knights!

Well, he was hounded by a 6'5 Player, A. Semerad gave him a hard time. That shows the respect we have on Mark's capabilities.

bugleboy
09-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Of our 8 losses, six went down the wire (yes, including that controversial loss to JRU that resulted in sanctions to one of the refs). What bothered me in some of those losses was that Mark had the ball in the last seconds but chose to pass off despite being open, resulting in botched tries by his team mates.

Among our players, I think Mark Cruz has the best shooting touch and the best ball-handling abilities. I would feel more confident about our chances if he had the ball in his hands to make the last play -- either shooting it for the tie or the win or passing off to another team mate if he would be able to draw the defense.

I just hope he would feel more confident taking on the mantle of leadership for this team. Manalo o matalo, wala namang sisihan e. But I think that at least he should give it more of a try.

Anyway, all is not yet lost. If we close out with four more wins, and if two among Benilde, Perps, and JRU don't exceed ten wins, then we will have a playoff for the last F4 slot. Arriba, Mark! Laban, Letran!

admiral thrawn
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Yup..bilog ang bola..kaya nyo pa yan..kung papalarin kayo..mas masarap panoorin ang final 4 between your Knight and our Red Lions!

bugleboy
09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Let's see. Benilde and JRU are at 9-5, and Perps at 8-6. Games left: Benilde - Mapua, Letran, JRU, Perps. JRU - SSCR, Benilde, SBC, Mapua. Perps - SSCR, SBC, EAC, Benilde.

We will assume that Letran will win all the remaining games (especially the one against Benilde), and that SBC and Mapua will win their respective games against these aforementioned teams, while SSCR will win against Perps but lose to JRU. We will need Benilde to win against JRU and Perps so that Letran can forge a tie with JRU for the last slot. This assumes that Perps will lose all its remaining games, while JRU will win at least one (perhaps against SSCR). Perps can choose to flip this script and win against EAC and SSCR, giving them a 10-8 record that will result in a triple tie.

How probable is that scenario? Not very. But then, with the way things have gone this season, our chances to advance are no longer fully in our hands. This is probably one of the best scenarios we can hope for.

While I agree with you, admiral thrawn, na masarap panoorin ang F4 game na may Knights at Red Lions, malaki-laki ang bubunoin namin para makaabot. Still -- laban lang! Arriba Letran!

ESCALERA JR.
09-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Ang sakit sa ulo ng scenarios bugle, simplehan na lang naten - lets WIN all our remaining games. Tapos matinding panalangin na hanggang 10 wins lang perps/benilde/jru..either csb and/or jru drop 3 of their last 4 games, then perps win only 2/4.

Its a very tight squeze for us...as benilde and jru need only to win 2 games to dash all our hopes even if wewin all our remaining games.

Flickering hopes indeed, One loss, tapos.

bugleboy
09-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Tama ka, ESCALERA JR. The keystone of my scenario -- that SBC would sweep its remaining assignments -- just went kaput today. And, of all the teams that they would lose to, it had to be Perps. Nuknukan naman talaga ng malas, oo!

Now Perps is on the verge of barging into the F4. Kailangan pa natin ng matindi-tinding dasal.

bugleboy
09-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Also, with the free-for-all that happened earlier between Mapua and EAC, there may even be forfeits awarded. Since Mapua still has to play almost all of the teams included in the race for the last two F4 slots (including Letran), then the scheduling of games will become very important. Sinong susuwertihin, sinong mamalasin? Abangan!

knightrider
09-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Multiple scenarios indeed. But the one that really counts is the game vs AU. Arellano is a potential NCAA champion and a win against this team is a test of our mettle to be a Final 4 contender this season.

bugleboy
09-23-2014, 05:23 PM
^Yup, the Arellano game is most crucial. We lose that, it's goodbye F4. If we win that game, then we may have a free win against Mapua as it looks like we are Mapua's next opponent after that unfortunate incident yesterday.

bugleboy
09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
The bad news is that Perps may also have a free win against EAC, as they are the scheduled next opponents. Hay naku, malas talaga!

ESCALERA JR.
09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm lowering my expectations for us to get thru the f4 this year, the best we could do for now is just win our remaining games.
Lalo pang lumabo with the events that unfolded yesterday.

Guys have you not notice anything about how the league is run this season? Case in point-Commish Bai Cristobal??? Parang walang ka-buhaybuhay itong mamang itoh. Ewan, wala na bang pwedeng makuhang maayus-ayos ang liga naten? I dont think he is up to the task.He seems to be just sitting there and just going thru the motions para lang masabi meron commisioner ang NCAA. Wala ka man lang narinig na sanctions as mga nanyayari kapalpakan lalo na ng mga refs. He admittedly said the refs made a grave mistake in our losing game vs Sbc....and thats about it. And now this! And what is he going to do about this recent fiasco? Pag walang action ginawa yan, something must be wrong somewhere.

Win tomorrow, we live another day...arriba lang ng arriba.

knightrider
09-23-2014, 10:39 PM
The NCAA should appoint a commissioner known for his integrity, fairness, and basketball smarts. The appointment should be for a three year period, instead of yearly. This is to enable the person to institute and implement his programs. Needless to say, he should be adequately compensated like a corporate honcho and not paid mere pittance.

Andy Jao in the UAAP is a good example.

bugleboy
09-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Mabagal ang reaction. Kulang ng transparency. Wala ring confidence in his ability to govern. In other words, weak leadership.

knightrider
09-23-2014, 11:59 PM
I heard that K-Racs sustained an injury (exact nature, I don't know) and may not be able to play vs AU. I don't know if this is true.

ESCALERA JR.
09-24-2014, 04:28 PM
ACL daw...Paktay tayo diyan. Pag minamalas ka nga naman. This might be it....for season 90

knightrider
09-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Spoilers na lang tayo ng FF contenders.

This season's team is strong compared to some of the FF teams Coach Louie Alas handled. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Coach Louie was still around. But such musings could not change the fact that the Alas era is over. Or is it? AFAIK, Coach Garcia's 2 year contract expires this season, unless it was extended after last year's Final's appearance.

bugleboy
09-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Hayz, when it rains, it truly pours eh? Well, ganoon lang talaga.

@knightrider -- Oo nga ano. Coach Caloy's term will expire at the end of this season. Which way will the wind blow? Term extension, or new coach for next season? All up in the air as of the moment.

knightrider
09-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Term extension, or new coach for next season? All up in the air as of the moment.

Whatever, we should not get Choke R or a coach of his ilk! All the sacrifices lost, all the expectations ending in disappointment. Not because of the Gilas players with big hearts, but some stupid benching decision in a critical game where the hope of a basketball mad country ended in tatters. The glory of FIBA Spain is now the debacle of humongous proportions in Inchon, glaringly, without doubt, due to the coach.

It's shameful and an utter lack of respect for the game when in a desperate move, the coach had Douthit making a basket at Kazakhstan’s own hoop in an attempt to extend the game into overtime, to try to get the 11 point quotient, in violation of Fiba’s “spirit of fair play” rule.

Kasi ang umiral na naman ang "win at all cost" mentality. Now the country is the laughing stock of the basketball world. Noon kasi, it's not winning that counts but how you play the game.

bugleboy
10-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks, boys. We still appreciate the effort. Arriba!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/undermanned-letran-knights-still-prove-too-good-against-lyceum-pira

knightrider
10-04-2014, 06:31 PM
The Knights' last game on Wednesday is crucial for CSB. A defeat would bump them off the FF. It would be an interesting game as former CSB coach Caloy now calls the shot for CSJL. Whatever the outcome, it will indeed be interesting.

bugleboy
10-08-2014, 11:21 AM
This game will be the Knights' last in this NCAA MB season. While I'm hoping that we will come away with a victory, I know that the Blazers will give one heck of a fight. For them, it's a win-or-go-home kind of thing. On the other hand, for us, it's just a game that will allow us to finish the season on a winning note -- a game to build on for the future. We will be fighting without K-Racs, and we will be outmatched in almost all positions, except PG. I'm hoping that Cruz, Nambatac, Gawaban and Ruaya give this their all (especially the latter two since this is their last game here in the NCAA). I'm also hoping for breakout games from Tambeling, Quinto, Singontiko and Publico.

Arriba, boys! One last time into the breach!

knightrider
10-08-2014, 04:22 PM
We won. But I feel for the Benildeans. They truly had a blazing (no pun intended) season. It's just that fate had it that we were the ones to put it to an end. Upside is that we'll all see Taha play sooner in the PBA than later. I hope Ford Ruaya now gets signed by the team that drafted him.

bugleboy
10-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Too bad for Benilde. In my book, they deserved an F4 slot more than JRU. But then, that's the way it is. They certainly had their chances. It's just that they were not able to make the treys when they needed them.

That does not take away from our boys' effort, though. We played without K-Racs against a full-strength Benilde team that had highly motivated players. Our boys played loose, had fun, and came away with a resounding win. While I may not have been happy that we lost a 17-point lead (that even got whittled down to 2 in the fourth quarter), I'm not going to be too difficult about that. Ruaya played the game of his life. So did Gabawan, before that shoving match with Saavedra that led to his fouling out. Both Cruz and Nambatac played well enough to ensure the win, but I wish they would be able to control their nerves in the end game to give oldies less reason for hypertension. Calvo was a revelation, and so was Publico. Saldua had his moments, though he should really work on his free throws. Geez, 0 for 6! Ano ba iyon?!

A win's a win. At least, we ended our season on a good note. Here's hoping that newbies Singontiko, Quinto and Apreku work out their kinks so that next year, they will be more consistent contributors.

You've earned your spurs, boys. Thanks for the effort this season!

ESCALERA JR.
10-09-2014, 08:49 PM
This brings to a close this years Ncaa Basketball Season 90.

We were 3 games short to qualify. Going back, i think there were at least 3 games that were very close, games where we lost by very slim margins. Losing to teams below us in the earlier rounds affected our climb. Bihira tayong makaranas na malaglag sa f4, but it was a learning experience for the team and to the die-hard dugong arriba fans. At least we ended on a high note and should carry over this next year.

May the best team Win. Lets enjoy watching from the sidelines for a change.
Arriba Letran!

bugleboy
10-14-2014, 04:37 PM
So who's your bet, ESCALERA JR.? :)