PDA

View Full Version : Letranites in the Pros

bugleboy
01-26-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm starting a new thread to chronicle Letranites' (ex-Knights, ex-Squires) performances in the professional leagues.

Re the game Ginebra vs. Alaska game last night, RJ Jazul did quite well with 14 points for Alaska. Unfortunately, the Aces lost to Ginebra. Bryan Faundo saw some minutes for Ginebra in that blow-out game. Faundo was lucky to even get minutes here, as he usually plays behind Slaughter, Aguilar, and ex-Squire Jay-R Reyes. Nonetheless, "arriba" to you, Faundo!

Kings overpower Aces, nail third semis slot
Birthday boy Japeth fires 29 points to lead Ginebra

By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
12:33 am | Sunday, January 26th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Rediscovering its dominating form in a do-or-die game, Barangay Ginebra claimed a seat in the PLDT MyDSL Philippine Cup’s Final Four Saturday night with the same ease that the Gin Kings flashed in topping the elimination round.

The Gin Kings nailed all sorts of shots and pounced on Alaska’s cold-shooting to rout the Aces, 108-95, in their KO match to chalk up their most impressive win of the season at a packed Cuneta Astrodome.

And that meant a best-of-seven semifinal clash with either Talk ‘N Text or San Mig Coffee, squads with rich championship histories that will collide in their own version of the decider Sunday at 5 p.m. also at the Pasay venue.

Intense

“We played with such a high level of intensity,” an ecstatic Ginebra coach Ato Agustin told reporters. “The energy was also there.

Ginebra is used to playing in situations like this (knockout) even when I was still playing.
“And of course, with the help of the fans, it was like our home court out there.”

Japeth Aguilar celebrated his 27th birthday with a career-high 29 points and 13 rebounds and LA Tenorio finished with 22 points, seven assists and the same number of rebounds as the Kings dominated every aspect of the match.

Strong start

Ginebra blasted out of the gates hard and never looked back, zooming to commanding leads early and moving ahead by as many as 31 points in the third quarter that proved too much for the game Aces.

To its credit, Alaska—even with things falling terribly out of its way—also played with the heart of a champion, never giving up until the final buzzer despite being booed by a capacity crowd on every possession.

Alaska trailed, 76-45, early in the third period, but that didn’t stop the Aces from cutting that down to 13 late in regulation.

Fire in their eyes

“Yesterday during practice, I saw the fire in the eyes of my players,” Agustin said. “And I told them that if we come out the same way for this game, we were going to win. And the players came out with more (fire).”

JV Casio and Gabby Espinas worked themselves ragged to shoot 16 points each and pace the Aces, who joined Air21, Barako Bull, Meralco and Globalport in an early vacation.
Season high

There were four more who scored at least 11 points for Ginebra, whose 69 first half points were the most by any team in a half this season.

Ginebra was so in-form that it scored a combined 62 points off second chance points, turnovers and fastbreaks—and Alaska didn’t even reach 62 points until the end of the third period.

“That’s a lot,” said Agustin. “We can play this way again in our future games. And we don’t care who we play (in the semifinals). We will be ready for either Talk ‘N Text or San Mig.”
The scores:

BRGY. GINEBRA 108—Aguilar 29, Tenorio 22, Ellis 16, Baracael 12, Caguioa 12, Slaughter 11, Helterbrand 5, Mamaril 1, Reyes 0, Monfort 0, Urbiztondo 0, Faundo 0.

ALASKA 95—Casio 16, Espinas 16, Jazul 14, Abueva 13, Thoss 13, Baguio 13, Hontiveros 6, Avenido 4, Dela Cruz 0, Eman 0.
Quarters: 39-21, 69-43, 86-62, 108-95

ESCALERA JR.
01-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Currently, I think we have 7-8 active pros...I included Kerby Raymundo in the list as I don't consider him retired yet. He'll be back again Im sure.

Bryan Faundo and Belencion are the former Knights surprisingly playing some minutes. Hindi kasi sila main men noon time nila unlike Rjazul, ReyGuevarra and Aban who were the stars of their respective eras. Is Big Mac still playing?

In the next 2-3 years, others may join the group of Pro-Knights specifically Kevin Alas. Kevin Racal is a likely candidate. Mark Cruz?...kung si Johnny Abbarientos na maliit din kayang mag mvp, may pagasa itong si Micro Mark.

Pag pumasok ang Ginebra sa finals, maririnig sana naten yung barker shouting...at forward Bryan FauuUNDOOOOO!

bugleboy
01-27-2014, 07:03 AM
^Jaypee Belencion has had a good run this conference, coming from being a rarely-used reliever to one of the vital cogs now in Globalport, as can be seen in this article: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/guess-whos-safe-whos-not-as-romero-plots-another-makeover-for-globalport-v02

Aaron Aban's TNT was bundled out yesterday by San Mig, with Aban coming up with a rather paltry performance. Nonetheless, at least Aban has usually provided spark from the bench. That's why he's still there at TNT.

Mark Andaya has had an up-and-down career. Right now, I don't think he is in any PBA team. Last I heard, he has just been playing pickup games in several "ligang labas". Oh, and he appeared as a villain in the movie, On The Job (with Joel Torre and Gerald Anderson).

Re the next pro-bound Knights -- Kevin Alas comes quickly to mind. He has been doing great for NLEX in the D-League, ditto for Racal. I agree with you regarding Mark Cruz. I think Micro Mark has sufficiently shown that he can play with the big boys, and that being vertically challenged is no impediment. I also hope that Gabawan, Tambeling, Nambatac and Ruaya develop sufficiently in the next years so that they may also get their shot at a pro career.

ESCALERA JR.
01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
re: K.Alas, since he opted not to join the Pba draft this year, then technically he is still eligibile to play next season!?? medyo maintriga etong naiisip ko pero kung pwede siya makabalik...Why not!

Si Jam Cortes mukhang hindi matunog after his stint w the Knights...I don't see his name listed in any of the teams at DLeague or any other ligang labas. si Junjun?..nasa bahay na lang lol.

knightrider
01-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I heard that Kevin "joked" that since his eligibility has not yet run out, he may join the Knights again.

Who knows if that'll materialize...but with shooters like Ruaya, Racal, Tambeling, etc. getting more experience, is Kevin still needed? My answer is definitely YES! My wish for him is to leave the team as an NCAA CHAMPION!

bugleboy
01-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Kevin is still eligible since he's still enrolled in his IT course and he is just 22 (I think). Should he decide to come back, I'm sure Coach Caloy will be able to find a spot for him on the team.

Re Jam Cortes, he used to play in the D-League. But I don't seem to recall if he is playing this year.

Re other Letranites in the pros -- Raymond Almazan scored 7 points in last night's ROS game versus Petron. Sana magtuloy-tuloy na!

bugleboy
01-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Arriba Almazan! :)

Rain or Shine rallies past Petron for 2-0 semis lead
By Mark Giongco
INQUIRER.net
10:20 pm | Wednesday, January 29th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines— Rain or Shine rallied from 16 points down to stun Petron Blaze, 103-94, and go up 2-0 in their 2014 PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven semifinals series Wednesday night at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Sharpshooting guard Jeff Chan tallied 20 points while rookie Raymond Almazan made his presence felt in the fourth quarter, where the Elasto Painters outscored the Boosters, 36-16.

“We just carved out a hard win today,” said ROS head coach Yeng Guiao. “For a while, I thought it was a lost game but the guys did not give up. It’s a testament to the guys’ desire to win, determination to win and a testament to their mental toughness.”

Chan and Almazan alone outscored Petron Blaze, 19-16, in the final frame with the lanky center, known more for his defense had 10 points in just the last quarter.

“Raymond played like a veteran. Raymond made the big shots, made the big rebounds and the big stops, he looked like he was 250 pounds and he did it when it counted in the semifinals. That’s the championship experience from his Letran days,” Guiao said.

The Boosters, who couldn’t hold on to a 16-point lead they built early in the second quarter and an 85-72 advantage early in the fourth quarter, missed their last seven attempts from the field after the Painters moved ahead, 92-91, with 4:33 left on a Beau Belga drive.

A three-point play by the six-foot-seven Almazan sealed the game, 100-94, with 28.7 ticks left while his breakaway one-handed dunk in the waning seconds punctuated Rain or Shine’s impressive come-back win.
Game 3 is on Saturday still at MOA Arena with ROS looking for a commanding 3-0 advantage.

“2-0 is a good place to be at this point but we cannot celebrate. We still need to win two more. They did a good job stopping the breaks, did a good job slowing down the game- a lot slower than the first game we played against them. So we just prepare on Saturday.”
June Mar Fajardo led the Boosters with 20 points while guard Alex Cabagnot bounced back from a sub-par Game 1 outing with 17 points and three steals. Swingman Chris Lutz struggled anew with measly seven points.

bugleboy
01-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Faundo scored 4 points in Ginebra's rout of San Mig to even up the best-of-seven semis series at 1 win each. Despite playing less than three minutes, Faundo had two strong offensive rebounds and put-backs to help the Gin Kings take all the fight and caffeine out from the Coffee Makers. Jay-R Reyes also played well as reliever of Greg Slaughter, scoring 8 points plus a ton of rebounds. Arriba! GI-NE-BRA!

bugleboy
02-01-2014, 09:47 PM
It seems that Raymond Almazan is becoming more consistent in his performance with ROS. Today he scored 10 points to backstop the Extra Rice duo of Belga and Quinahan. Too bad ROS lost to Petron, though.

ESCALERA JR.
02-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Nice to see our guys doing well in the pros. 'Sr citizens' Miller and Raymundo still have a lot of gas in their tanks and can mix it up with the young turks. If Kerby comes out oh his injury nicely, he can teach cuz Raymond a lesson or 2 but with the way Almazan plays early in his career, pwede malampasan pa siya.

Belencion was picked among 5 young guns to form the core of another ballclub. The training coach ALas has instilled in his players, dala dala ng mga batang ito. Kahit si Ronjay whose pba career failed to lift off is showing signs of a good coach and motivator to the new breed of Knights. Malamang sundan niya ang mga yapak ng kanyang coach/mentor. Aban is not scoring much but a workhorse on the defensive side. RJ is a very dependaple pg and can explode given a chance. Si ReyG, pwede siguro mag side line sa showbiz w contrabida MacAndya. Former Squires Intal and JR Reyes give significant contributions to their teams as well. Really nice to read the names of these former Knights every now and then.

bugleboy
02-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Kerby can teach Raymond a lot of tricks -- things he needs at this point in time. In last night's game, for instance, our young gun got all too excited and did not focus too much on the game. Result: 2 points, 1 block, a ton of errors, and 2 botched free throws. Hopefully, he will learn to curb his eagerness and channel excess energy into going for rebounds and blocks. It was good that Coach Caloy was able to win this game for ROS after Coach Yeng was sent off to the showers early.

Re the other Knights, I wish Rey Guevarra would end up with a team that would have a better use for his talents. Between him and Belencion, Guevarra is far more talented, but has so far ended up with teams that have treated him like scrap metal. On the other hand, he may want to learn from Belencion that attitude is also key. Basta laban lang ng laban, susuwertehin din.

bugleboy
02-08-2014, 07:50 AM
In lieu of the suspended Coach Yeng Guiao, Coach Caloy Garcia led ROS last night to the first finals seat in the PBA Philippine Cup! Looks like we will be seeing more of our boy Raymond. :)

ESCALERA JR.
02-08-2014, 05:28 PM
There no substitute for Hard Work...Rookie of the year sa NC tapos Defensive Player...then MVP on his last season...and now playing in the pros nasa finals agad!...Winner talaga tong batang to. Arriba ALmazan!

bugleboy
02-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Good back-up job by Jay-R Reyes in last night's Ginebra win over San Mig. He has certainly won his place back in the rotation after being forgotten by Coach Ato in one of the earlier Ginebra losses in the semis. As for Faundo, well, looks like he has to do a lot more in practice in order to earn some minutes, especially if Ginebra reaches the finals.

bugleboy
02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Almazan with 4 points, including a breakaway dunk in last night's ROS victory over San Mig! Konting extra rice pa and it should be much harder to push him out of the paint. Nonetheless, he had that great block on Devance when the latter thought that he already had a clear lane.

Scores from spin.ph:

Rain or Shine (83) -- Belga 15, Cruz 15, Chan 8, Norwood 8, Rodriguez 7, Arana 6, Lee 6, Tang 5, Teng 5, Almazan 4, Quinahan 2, Nuyles 2, Tiu 0, Ibanes 0.

San Mig (80) -- Devance 17, Pingris 13, Simon 13, Yap 12, Barroca 9, Melton 6, Mallari 4, Reavis 4, Sangalang 2, De Ocampo 0.

Quarterscores: 20-15; 37-37; 60-59; 83-80

bugleboy
02-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Grrr... Sayang.

Scores from spin.ph:

San Mig 77 - Simon 14, Devance 13, Yap 13, Sangalang 12, Barroca 8, Pingris 7, Mallari 5, Reavis 4, Melton 1, De Ocampo 0.

Rain or Shine 76 - Lee 23, Chan 11, Cruz 10, Almazan 7, Belga 6, Rodriguez 6, Quinahan 5, Norwood 4, Tiu 2, Ibanes 2, Tang 0, Teng 0.

Quarterscores: 19-20, 38-39, 63-64, 77-76

bugleboy
02-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Way to go, Raymond and ROS!

Scores from spin.ph:

The scores:

Rain or Shine 81 - Chan 24, Belga 10, Tiu 9, Lee 8, Norwood 7, Quinahan 6, Rodriguez 5, Arana 4, Almazan 4, Cruz 2, Ibanes 2.

San Mig 74 - Pingris 18, Yap 18, Mallari 11, Barroca 10, Devance 7, Simon 4, Sangalang 3, De Ocampo 2, Reavis 1, Melton 0.

Quarterscores: 14-20, 35-43, 59-54, 81-74

bugleboy
02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Well, too bad for Raymond, Coach Yeng, Coach Caloy, Coach Mike and the rest of ROS. It was good to see the team fighting to the bitter end, though. "Never say die!" is no longer just a Ginebra mantra. :)

ESCALERA JR.
02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Our rookie boy Raymond Almazan got upended by another rookie - Ian Sanggalang. These 2 young men will be in a lot of face-offs in many many years to come.

Charge it to experience. At least naka isang finals experience na si Raymond sa pro.

bugleboy
02-28-2014, 07:30 AM
^In the ROS scheme of things, big men have to be enforcers as well. And that is where our boy Raymond is still lacking. Because of his lack of beef, he is the one who gets pushed out of the action, instead of him pushing opponents out. He compensates, though, with better-than-average shot-blocking skills. More extra rice, please! Dagdagan na rin ng Angus beef!

bugleboy
03-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Letranites Willie Miller, JC Intal, and Denok Miranda are doing well over at Barako Bull. Miller scored 19 points, Miranda scored 13, and Intal had 7 as Barako Bull waylaid ROS, 110 - 106. Of course, it helped that they were given adequate playing time -- something that was not give to them in that disappointing loss to Ginebra in their first game. In that game, Coach Bong Ramos chose instead to give the bulk of the playing time to rookies Fortuna and Lastimosa -- bringing in Miranda only in the last minute or so. I don't know what Ramos was thinking, especially since Lastimosa got outplayed time and time again by Mark Caguioa. Miller definitely could have done a better job not only in defending against Caguioa, but scoring as well. But then, maybe Barako has other plans, and winning may just be a sideline. :)

BTW, JayR Reyes scored 8 points in that Ginebra win.

On the ROS side, our boy Almazan scored 9 points against Barako, albeit in a losing cause.

RJ Jazul also did very well in backstopping Alaska import Rob Dozier with 18 points during their blowout game vs. Globalport. Great show by RJ!

Jaypee Belencion did not see action for the Batang Pier, however. Also lost in the shuffle so far are TNT's Aaron Aban and Meralco's Rey Guevarra, both of whom have been fielded sparingly by their respective teams. Re Ginebra's Faundo, I don't think he has been fielded at all in this conference.

bugleboy
03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
RJ Jazul continued to make a good account of himself over at the Alaska side, as the Aces finally got a win in the PBA Reinforced Conference, upending Air 21, 88-78.

The scores: (from inquirer.net)

ALASKA 88—Dozier 23, Thoss 14, Abueva 13, Casio 10, Jazul 10, Hontiveros 6, Baguio 6, Dela Cruz 2, Espinas 2, Manuel 2, Reyes 0.
AIR21 78—Yeo 19, Lamizana 16, Taulava 11, Cardona 10, Borboran 9, Villanueva 5, Ramos 4, Burtscher 2, Atkins 2, Jaime 0, Poligrates 0.
Quarters: 19-16, 38-41, 61-62, 88-78

On the other hand, Barako Bull continued its slide even as Willie Miller, Denok Miranda and JC Intal did their level best against Talk 'n Text. Barako Bull's game plan seems to be to just let the players' natural talents carry the fight for them. Thus, they just had a lot of passing around at the perimeter before they would launch a three. Enough of these treys made their way to the hole, such that they managed to claw back to within 5 points of TNT's score at the buzzer. Sayang ang game na ito, considering that Barako was leading for three quarters and TNT's Alapag was having a sub-par game. Our boy Aaron Aban was fielded sparingly by TNT and so was not able to contribute that well.

bugleboy
03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Barako Bull finally got their second win of the conference, beating San Mig in come-from-behind fashion, 92-90. Willie Miller tallied 19 points to ably support their import, Josh Dollard, and JC Intal contributed 10.

The scores: (from inquirer.net)

BARAKO BULL 92—Dollard 32, Miller 19, Intal 10, Marcelo 7, Deutchman 6, Pennisi 6, Fortuna 5, Buenafe 5, Wilson 2, Lastimosa 0, Peña 0, Miranda 0.

SAN MIG COFFEE 90—Mays 20, Devance 17, Simon 16, Yap 12, Barroca 10, Pingris 8, Melton 3, Sangalang 2, Reavis 2, Mallari 0.

Quarters: 18-26, 49-47, 62-78, 92-90

ESCALERA JR.
03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Vintage Willie Miller still has it. Not sure how old he is, probably mid 30's. One last push for his pro career. Let's give him 2 more competitive years, after which pababa na laro niya.

Ano lagay ni Kerby R.? Sana magkasama sila ni Miller sa isang team before they hang up their jerseys and experience one more championship. Younger guys are about to take over. Kevin ALas era is about to begin in the PBA.

bugleboy
03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I think you're right about Miller having around two more years of competitive ball. Good for him, he has talents aside from basketball. The guy's quite a ham and has guested in sports coverages, particularly in the NCAA. After basketball, he just might become a color caster for the PBA.

Re Kerby, he was traded by Ginebra to Meralco but he chose not to sign on because of his knee (or leg?) injury. He felt that he would be doing the organization an injustice if he signed on but he would not be able to play anyway. Very noble of the guy, I must say. However, I don't know if he has undergone surgery to repair the injury, or if he has finally decided on retirement.

bugleboy
04-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Buhay na naman si Almazan!

RAIN OR SHINE 99—Lee 21, Chism 17, Almazan 13, Tiu 10, Belga 9, Norwood 9, Arana 6, Cruz 4, Uyloan 2, Chan 2, Nuyles 2, Ibanes 2, Rodriguez 2, Tang 0, Teng 0.

GLOBALPORT 75—Brock 25, Washington 14, Matias 10, Cabagnot 7, Garcia 6, Chua 4, Salva 4, Sharma 4, Romeo 1, Yee 0, Ponferrada 0, Salvador 0, Macapagal 0.

Quarters: 29-26, 51-38, 75-62, 99-75

bugleboy
04-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Great showing by Rey Guevarra at the All-Star Weekend -- co-winner of the Slam Dunk contest and MVP of the Greats vs. Stalwarts game! Arriba!

http://sports.inquirer.net/149401/guevarra-melton-share-all-star-slam-dunk-title

ESCALERA JR.
04-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Si fafa Rey! Still at it slamming it down...at nag mvp pa! He just needs to be consistent w his numbers to be taken more seriously by his coaches at MeralcoBolts. Hopefully he will be given longer playing times, surely he will deliver.

BedanRoar
04-12-2014, 06:08 AM
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/special-reports/as-pba-expansion-looms-mark-andaya-willing-to-turn-back-on-showbiz-to-give-pro-basketball-career-another-shot-v02

BASKETBALL
PBA

As PBA expansion looms, Mark Andaya willing to turn back on showbiz to give pro basketball career another shot.

bugleboy
04-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Good for him. Despite the fact that he has other options (like showbiz and his own business), Big Mac is still willing to give his first love another shot.

ESCALERA JR.
04-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Three ballclubs joining the pba late this year w/12 players on each team, si BigMac lang ang naiisip kong has a bigger chance to revive a bball career sa '05 knights batch. The '06-'09 batch is well represented by Aban, Jazul and Guevarra. From the 2010 till last season, maliban kay Almazan, wala akong makitaan ng pba calibre...except of course Kevin. I wonder where E_rod and boyet bautista are playing now?:-:

bchoter
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I once struck up a conversation with Big Mac while he was waiting for his game in a DEL League game day not your typical knuckle head nga and lagi ng nanganga,usta every time he sees me in the crowd.

The unconventional basketball life of Big Mac Andaya

Maybe you remember Big Mac from his days in Letran. Maybe you remember him from the PBL. Maybe you remember him from his days in the PBA. Maybe you remember him from the ABL. Or maybe you don’t remember him at all. 6’9” dude. Sometimes his hair was brown. Sometimes it wasn’t. But he always sported some trendy hairstyle. He smiled, a lot. He was a crowd-favorite for varying reasons. He always had (and we’ll get to this later) a showbiz side. He would occasionally attempt the “kilikili shot” during games. Thus, during a PBA broadcast I once said he had a little Marlou Aquino in him.

If you looked hard enough, you found charisma.

If you searched intently enough, you discovered potential.

But for majority of fans, he was simply the big guy with the big smile who didn’t score enough points, didn’t play enough minutes, and didn’t last in the PBA as long as he would have wanted. Maybe that’s the guy you remember.

Read more here: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/356848/sports/opinion/the-final-score-the-unconventional-basketball-life-of-big-mac-andaya

bugleboy
04-14-2014, 09:39 PM
^Wonderful article! Thanks for this, bchoter.

bugleboy
04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Good effort by Almazan last night. Unfortunately, the ROS Elasto Painters still lost to the Meralco Bolts. No Guevarra showing for Meralco, though. Bummer.

Scores from www.inquirer.net:

MERALCO 94—Jackson 30, David 27, Dillinger 15, Hodge 9, Wilson 5, Timberlake 4, Hugnatan 4, Ildefonso 0, Sena 0.

RAIN OR SHINE 91—Chism 27, Lee 15, Arana 10, Tiu 10, Almazan 9, Chan 8, Norwood 8, Nuyles 2, Rodriguez 2, Belga 0, Cruz 0, Tang 0, Teng 0.

Quarters: 21-19, 40-44, 69-71, 94-91

bugleboy
04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
RJ Jazul continued his good showing for the Aces, helping out in last night's victory over the San Mig Coffee Mixers:

Scores from www.inquirer.net:

ALASKA 86—Dozier 24, Baguio 14, Abueva 12, Thoss 12, Espinas 9, Casio 8, Jazul 6, Hontiveros 1, Reyes 0, Dela Cruz 0, Manuel 0.

SAN MIG SUPER COFFEE 77—Mays 18, Barroza 17, Yap 12, Simon 10, Devance 9, Melton 7, Pingris 4, Mallari 0, Sangalang 0, Reavis 0.

Quarters: 19-18, 37-39, 62-61, 86-77

bugleboy
06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Letranites on both sides: Jazul for Alaska, Miller and Miranda for Barako Bull. Jay-R Reyes for Ginebra. Unfortunately, Aban DNP for TNT. Neither did Faundo for Ginebra, or Intal for Barako.

First Game

ALASKA 90—Casio 20, Walker 17, Thoss 13, Abueva 10, Espinas 9, Manuel 7, Jazul 5, Baguio 4, Hontiveros 3, Belasco 2.

BARAKO 87—Durham 17, Miller 15, Pennisi 14, Fortuna 13, Jensen 8, Miranda 8, Najorda 4, Marcelo 4, Custodio 4, Thiele 0, Lastimosa 0, Wilson 0, Isip 0.
Quarters: 18-22, 38-49, 64-64, 90-87

Second Game

TALK ‘N TEXT 96—Harris 31, De Ocampo 18, Castro 18, Fonacier 12, Canaleta 8, Alapag 5, Williams 2, Baclao 2, Reyes Ryan 0, Reyes Rob 0, Carey 0.

GINEBRA 92—Aguilar 18, Mason 15, Slaughter 15, Baracael 14, Tenorio 14, Ababou 7, Helterbrand 3, Knuttel 2, Reyes 2, Monfort 2, Ellis 0, Caguioa 0. Quarters: 19-20, 40-46, 55-67, 96-92

bugleboy
06-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Almazan played well in the ROS Elasto Painters' win over San Mig last night:

(from inquirer.net)

RAIN OR SHINE 95— Reid 39, Norwood 12, Almazan 10, Belga 8, Lee 7, Cruz 6, Chan 6, Teng 4, Arana 3, Uyloan 0, Tiu 0, Nuyles 0, Ibanes 0, Rodriguez 0.

SAN MIG SUPER COFFEE 94—Pingris 15, Sangalang 14, Simon 13, Blakely 10, Yap 8, Taha 7, Melton 7, Barroca 6, Mallari 6, Devance 4, Maliksi 2, Matias 2, Holstein 0.
Quarters: 34-28, 60-46, 77-73, 95-94

bugleboy
08-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Junjun may end up in Alaska after all.

http://rivals.ph/basketball/2014/08/will-alaska-draft-junjun-alas-alex-compton-gives-his-take

knightrider
08-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Junjun may end up in Alaska after all.

He's a better fit with ROS. He won't need too much of extra rice servings. Can't say that for Raymond who still needs to beef up.

But he'll get more playing time with the Aces with coach Louie around. RJ was a journey man until coach Louie was able to get him more playing time despite the presence of JV Casio. RJ is now a vital cog in the Aces' rotation. It would be great to have another Knight play with RJ as they represent two succeeding generations of Knights.

As for the grand Knight Kevin, he's PBA ready like Sanggalang when the latter joined SM Coffee.

knightrider
08-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Is Big Mac joining any of the two expansion teams?

bugleboy
08-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Kevin Alas will shine no matter what team he eventually ends up in. Re Big Mac, I think he's trying. I don't know if there are any takers, though. Sayang nga, because he is such a talented player and an all-around good guy. If there's any player who deserves a break, it would be Big Mac.

knightrider
08-21-2014, 06:37 PM
But Big Mac has a career in the movies. I saw him in the award winning internationally acclaimed indie movie ON THE JOB. He's a natural.

ESCALERA JR.
08-24-2014, 04:30 AM
Goodluck to our LetranKnights hoping to make it to the pros. Amongst the current and former players who donned the letran jersey, only KevinAlas should make it high in the 1st round. The others, well...hmm good luck.

knightrider
08-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Ruaya was drafted in the 3rd round. Has he used up his NCAA eligibility? This is only his 2nd year for the Knights.

knightrider
08-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Goodluck to our LetranKnights hoping to make it to the pros. Amongst the current and former players who donned the letran jersey, only KevinAlas should make it high in the 1st round. The others, well...hmm good luck.

His being drafted 2nd by ROS adds fuel to the rumors that Paul Lee may be leaving the team. If true, this is an opportunity for Kevin to shine early on.

ESCALERA JR.
08-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Congrats to our Aces, former Knights KevinAlas and his kuya Junjun. Likewise to Reneford Ruaya...hari nawa wag ka sanang 'umalalay' sa mga natitirang laro mo as a player of the LC Knights in the NC. Congrats and Arriba mga kabalyeros.

bugleboy
08-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Ruaya was drafted in the 3rd round. Has he used up his NCAA eligibility? This is only his 2nd year for the Knights.

I think Ruaya's already 24. Hence, this is his final year of eligibility. Anyway, congratulations to K-Ace, Junjun and Ford Ruaya! Hope to see you play soon!

knightrider
08-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Congrats to our Aces, former Knights KevinAlas and his kuya Junjun. Likewise to Reneford Ruaya...hari nawa wag ka sanang 'umalalay' sa mga natitirang laro mo as a player of the LC Knights in the NC. Congrats and Arriba mga kabalyeros.

As a third round draftee, he can't afford to 'umalalay' sa remaining NCAA games. The more kailangan mag-pakita ng gilas at bangis para maka-sign sa contract.

I still remember James Sena who appeared to play listlessly, perhaps to avoid injury after being drafted in the PBA. I don't think he got signed, or if he did, not immediately.

Almazan still showed his fangs after being drafted. He did not play safe during the NCAA Finals. Nakita ni Coach Yeng yung tapang kaya naging part of the big men rotation ng RoS thereafter.

ESCALERA JR.
08-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Among the 3, Kevin's star should shine brightest if reports are true he was taken in to replace Paul Lee.

Kevin is explosive and can score in the 40's if given the go signal. He has done it twice, first as a bungling Squire then again in the Srs.May pagka-bwakaw nung una, but has surprisingly mellowed on his last 2 yrs.as a Knight. On his final year namamasa narin, thus becoming a more complete player by adding more assists in his game.

Ruaya is lucky to be picked by the newest team-BlackWater. He has a big chance to make an impact on his rookie year. At si Junjun, bahala na si daddy Louie kung ano mabuti sa kanya. On Belorio,Jam Cortes and BigMac...tryout tryout nalang baka swertihin sa susunod.

bugleboy
10-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Kevin Alas going to TNT may be better for him than if he were to stay with ROS. At TNT, he would be heir-apparent to Jimmy Alapag, who is on his last leg as premier PG of the Tropang Texters. Good luck, Kevin!

bugleboy
10-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Looks like Ford Ruaya did not make it to the final lineup of Blackwater. Bummer. On the positive side, Bryan Faundo is in!

mrjumbo03
10-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Kevin Alas going to TNT may be better for him than if he were to stay with ROS. At TNT, he would be heir-apparent to Jimmy Alapag, who is on his last leg as premier PG of the Tropang Texters. Good luck, Kevin!

Double edged sword though, while RoS has the deeper lineup, Alas was talented enough to eventually displace whoever the starting PG is. In TnT, he'll surely be playing behind Castro when he gets healthy.

knightrider
10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Castro is still the premier PG in the PBA and in Gilas! KA cannot rest on his reputation. He's now in the big league and has to prove he's among the top tier players. With all the banging in the pros, he has to beef up.

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Letran standout Kevin Alas on the rise..di pa naguumpisa ang career,tatlo na agad ang naging team.

On the other end, former Knight Willie Miller on his way, out with no takers as of this writing.

ganyan lang ang buhay...weder weder lang!

knightrider
10-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Letran standout Kevin Alas on the rise..di pa naguumpisa ang career,tatlo na agad ang naging team.

On the other end, former Knight Willie Miller on his way, out with no takers as of this writing.

ganyan lang ang buhay...weder weder lang!

Willie Miller still has some gas in his tank. Not unlike Kirby Raymundo, who I think is retired. Willie's no longer a go to guy anymore, but can still contribute. Anyway he's been playing such a long time that the inevitable decline is near.

BTW, congrats to Glenn Khobuntin for winning the UAAP crown. He was part of the Squire team that also had Tampus (who fizzled out playing collegiate ball) and Archie Inigo, a surprise as a PG and at 2 position. Archie was a one dimensional spot up but deadly perimeter shooter in high school. But that was the way Coach Latonio used him.

bugleboy
10-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Yup, congratulations to Glenn Khobuntin and the NU Bulldogs! One has to wonder, though, what would have happened if he had stayed in Letran... Achie Inigo has also done well for himself with the FEU Tamaraws, unlike his buddy, Oda Tampus, who has disappeared into DLSU's Team B. Other good players in that storied bunch were JR Ongteco, who played in his last year for Benilde, and Christian Cabahug (wonder what ever happened to this guy?).

bugleboy
10-20-2014, 05:52 AM
Congratulations to Kevin Alas on his successful debut at TnT -- 10 points in less than 20 minutes on the floor! Too bad that TnT got blown out by Barangay Ginebra, though.

bugleboy
10-25-2014, 07:18 AM
In a battle of ex-Letran centers, Raymond Almazan manhandled Bryan Faundo as ROS fought back from 15 points to beat Blackwater, 82-75, in last night's PBA main attraction:

The Scores: (from inquirer.net)

Rain or Shine 82 – Almazan 17, Chan 9, Belga 9, Ibañes 8, Jc. Cruz 8, Norwood 7, Jv. Cruz 6, Quiñahan 6, Uyloan 4, Tang 4, Teng 2, Araña 2.

Blackwater 75 – Laure 16, Nuyles 13, Gamalinda 13, Tiongson 12, Faundo 6, Menor 5, Artadi 4, Erram 2, Rodriguez 2, Ballesteros 2, Timberlake 0, Cawaling 0, Austria 0.

Quarters: 11-16, 31-40, 51-60, 82-75.

Almazan was BPG. Congratulations!

bugleboy
10-29-2014, 07:24 AM
RJ Jazul is still doing well enough in Alaska to merit a second look. Not so sure, though, about Aaron Aban over at TNT.

Our young gun, Kevin Alas, however, is doing great!

The box scores (from spin.ph):

ALASKA 100 - Abueva 26, Hontiveros 14, Banchero 12, Casio 12, Baguio 10, Manuel 10, Thoss 9, Jazul 6, Exciminiano 1, Eman 0, Dela Rosa 0, Bugia 0, Vanlandingham 0, Dela Cruz 0.

TALK N' TEXT 98 - Reyes R. 24, Alas 15, Williams 13, De Ocampo 12, Castro 10, Ganuelas-Rosser 8, Washington 5, Espiritu 5, Fonacier 4, Reyes R. J. 2, Carey 0, Labagala 0, Seigle 0, Aban 0.

Quarterscores: 21-28, 47-48, 68-80, 100-98

Read more at: http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/alaska-calvin-abueva-talk-n-text-basketball-40th-season-philippine-cup-buzzer-beater-basketball

bugleboy
10-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Meanwhile, over at Meralco, Rey Guevarra is finally getting some court time under coach Norman Black. Under ex-coach Ryan Gregorio, Guevarra only warmed the bench despite stellar performances at the All-Star weekend and the slam dunk competition. Bryan Faundo seems to be relishing his second wind at Blackwater. Too bad they lost, though.

The box scores (from spin.ph):

MERALCO 83 - Hodge 26, Guevarra 10, Wilson 9, Anthony 9, David 7, Ildefonso 6, Ferriols 6, Atkins 4, Cortez 2, Dillinger 2, Hugnatan 2, Morrison 0, Buenafe 0, Sena 0, Macapagal 0.

BLACKWATER 75 - Nuyles 14, Menor 14, Faundo 10, Gamalinda 10, Artadi 6, Laure 6, Timberlake 5, Erram 4, Tiongson 2, Rodriguez 2, Ballesteros 2, Cawaling 0, Austria 0.

Quarterscores: 26-20, 44-32, 61-47, 70-70, 83-75

Read more at: http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/meralco-blackwater-pba-40th-season-philippine-cup-basketball-overtime
Follow Us: @spinph on Twitter | spin.philippines on Facebook

knightrider
10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
It was also nice to see Kevin Alas going up against RJ jazul, (and against his father Coach Louie).

Joescoundrel
10-29-2014, 02:52 PM
By your leave, good Knights.

Please drop by the PBA @ 40 Thread sa PBA Forum natin, give your views on who (Knight or not) should be included in the PBA's 40 Greatest Players.

bugleboy
10-30-2014, 03:08 PM
@Joescoundrel -- OK. Will do.

Re the game last night: Arriba, Almazan! ;)

RAIN OR SHINE 117—Lee 22, Belga 16, Tang 15, Cruz Jericho 12, Teng 12, Cruz Jervy 12, Uyloan 10, Quinahan 6, Almazan 6, Ibanes 4, Chan 2, Norwood 0.

KIA 88—Cervantes 18, Padilla 17, Revilla 10, Lingganay 10, Thiele 7, Dehesa 4, Alvarez 4, Pascual 4, Raymundo 4, Buensuceso 3, Alonzo 2, Saldua 2, Burtscher 2, Ighalo 1, Bagatsing 0.

Quarters: 36-25, 59-46, 81-65, 117-88

knightrider
10-30-2014, 08:41 PM
By your leave, good Knights.

Please drop by the PBA @ 40 Thread sa PBA Forum natin, give your views on who (Knight or not) should be included in the PBA's 40 Greatest Players.

I'm sure shoo in na sa 40 si Samboy Lim, Kirby Raymundo, Willie Miller, Freddie Webb and ...

ESCALERA JR.
10-31-2014, 07:38 PM
knight, 'skywalker' Samboy Lim is already part of the pba's 25 greatest players. I'm not really sure if fastbreak Freddie made it to the elite list?...parang hindi ata!

Willie Miller should be a shoo-in being a 2 time MVP. It would be nice if KerbyRaymundo gets the nod to be included in the list. Kung hindi sana siya umalis sa RedBull noon, he started like a house on fire...a very young rookie then under Coach Yeng, however nawala ang momentum nun na trade.

Another would be strong candidate is Kevin Alas, that is if he can sustain his playing style like the way he played college ball with the Letran Knights, malamang mapasama rin siya, but that would only be decided 10 years from now sa 50th anniv. of the PBA.

knightrider
11-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Escalera, you're right. Fastbreak Freddie was not included. I think he retired a couple of years after the PBA was born. But he is one of the greats along with his contemporaries like Adriano Papa, Jake Rojas, Ciso Bernardo, Jimmy Mariano, Yoyong Martirez and Tembong Melencio.

ESCALERA JR.
11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
FreddieWebb was already at his peak during the tailend of the MICAA days. He was good enough to be included in the '72 Munich Olympics, the last time the RP team qualified in such event. Kaya by the time the pba was born, pababa na ang laro niya, otherwise... Uy, halata na ba?...im giving away my young age lol.

Good to see our Bryan FAUNDOOOOO!! playing in the bigs. Too bad for BigMac, he wasnt signed up in any of the 3 new teams. I hope in next years draft, Mark Cruz gets to play para naman di ma out of place si Pacquiao...at least may ka height siya. Pero kakain ng alikabolk si pambansang kamao pag nagkataon magtapat sila.

bugleboy
11-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Current events naman tayo. :)

Di daw nagsisisi ang ROS in trading away Kevin Alas to TnT. Breakout game lang naman si Kevin yung pagkapanalo nila kahapon.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/talk-n-text-beats-rain-or-shine-pba-philippine-cup-kevin-alas-basketball-2014

ESCALERA JR.
11-04-2014, 02:30 AM
Opportunity lost there by RoS, Alas can explode any given time just like Paul Lee. Both play thesame position w the same intensity, better to have 2 options, pwede naman ka relive ni Kevin si Paul, best kung sabay pumotok...kamut ulo na lang si Coach Yeng.

bugleboy
11-04-2014, 10:24 AM
More on Kevin. Stats don't lie, indeed. :)

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/stats-dont-lie-heir-talk-n-text-throne/7633

admiral thrawn
11-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Sino ngayon ang magsasabi na the uaap hold the distinction of producing great talent for the PBA..eh lahat ng magagaling galing sa NCAA and more specifically sa Letran!..hahabol din ang San Beda! Hehehe

Kudos and Arriba Letran brethren!

ESCALERA JR.
11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=admiral thrawn;556490]Sino ngayon ang magsasabi na the uaap hold the distinction of producing great talent for the PBA..eh lahat ng magagaling galing sa NCAA and more specifically sa Letran!..hahabol din ang San Beda! Hehehe

Kudos and Arriba Letran

(hahabol din ang San Beda! Hehehe)

Admiral, Nahabol nyo na...naungusan pa!

Just wait till your Baser Amer gets to the pros, so much promise and potential. Ang nakakatakot pa, parang di pa todo ang nilalaro ng batang yan, pigil na pigil pa. Baka pag nasa pba na lumabas !

bugleboy
11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
^With the new influx of talents from San Beda, I'm sure that we'll have a PBA superstar from them soon. Their boy Semerad appears to be getting the hang of playing in the PBA this early, even getting in a punch or two in a scuffle with Kia's Chad Alonzo, aside from scoring the marginal baskets in the Globalport win. Mukhang nakatulong talaga ang training sa NCAA. :) Aside from Amer, I'm looking forward to Garvo Lanete's eventual ascension into the pros. A lot of teams would need a gunner like him.

Back to Letranites in the PBA:

Bryan Faundo scored 10 points last night against his former team, Ginebra. Blackwater, however, suffered their fourth consecutive loss. JayR Reyes continued his good performance in Ginebra, this time scoring 6 points.

bugleboy
11-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Back to scrub minutes for Rey Guevarra at Meralco. But perhaps that was because Jared Dillinger was having one heck of a ballgame last night. Or maybe Guevarra's not feeling too well...

Middling performance also from RJ Jazul in Alaska's win over the Beermen last night. Still good enough to keep his head above the water, though.

ESCALERA JR.
11-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Uma-Arriba si Bryan Faundo, topscoring for BlackWater on a losing cause. Where did he get this renewed energy? Hindi ako sanay...he was a role player during his time w the Knights playing 2nd fiddle to homegrown heroes Jazul, Bautista, Rey G. and Aban. Pinasikat lang eto ng barker during introductions, ngayon tunay na sikat na. Keep it up...Arriba Faundooooo,

knightrider
11-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Patuloy pa rin ang pag-Arriba ni Fauuunnnndooo. Si Kevin Alas naman, seems to have petered out after a hot start. Sabi nga ni Coach Jong, ang kailangan ay consistency, after his break out game. Of course with Jason Castro and the great Alapag out there, KA's rotation time will definitely be diminished.

bugleboy
11-20-2014, 03:24 PM
You're right about Kevin Alas, but I'm sure his time will eventually come.

Re other Letranites: Jazul performed well enough last night for Alaska, scoring 8 points in a losing cause. Ironically, topscorer for Barako Bull was ex-Squire Denok Miranda at 21 points, while JC Intal also chipped in 8 points.

bugleboy
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
I guess it may take a while before we see Miller Time again in the PBA...

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/willie-miller-barako-bull-siargao-legends-basketball-pba-philippine-cup-financial-security

bugleboy
11-27-2014, 02:05 PM
What about that Bryan Faundo? Waived by Ginebra, he has become quite the stud over at Blackwater. This time around, he topscored with 23 points! Too bad, Blackwater still lost to Barako Bull, though. JC Intal and Denok Miranda, however, performed well in that Barako Bull win.

bugleboy
11-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Bad news about Skywalker. Let's pray that this is not as serious as it sounds.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/samboy-lim-collapsed-in-pba-legends-exhibition-game-ynares-center-unconscious

ESCALERA JR.
11-29-2014, 03:52 AM
omg heart attack!?...looking at his photos from our recent homecoming, Samboy i consider one of the fittest, rigid and very disciplined ever seen in an athlete. Even at age 53 he has maintained his physic of his playing years even 30 years after.

Hang on there SkyWalker. Prayers for you.

knightrider
11-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Samboy is a great athlete and a great gentleman. Let's all pray for his fast recovery.

bugleboy
12-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Willie Miller and Kerby Raymundo join Samboy Lim in list of the PBA's 40 greatest players. Arriba!

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/pba/76791-15-additions-greatest-players-list

bugleboy
12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Guevarra is still collecting eggs and chump change at Meralco. I worry for this guy; despite his talent, his coaches always seem to pass him by. I thought that with Norman Black coming into Meralco, he will find some use for a 6'4" high leaping slasher with a somewhat passable outside shot, but apparently not. Sayang. Maybe he'll be better off at Blackwater or Kia?!

Meanwhile, his college buddy RJ Jazul is at least holding steady as alternate PG at Alaska.

knightrider
12-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Maybe, he needs to join the Aces. Coach Louie knows his potential and can use him as a back-up forward. 3rd pick siya sa First Round. Jazul was beginning to be a journeyman but got exposure when Coach Alas convinced Luigi Trillo and Alex Compton to trust Jazul. Iba na rin yung meron dating coach sa NCAA to back you up. Ditto for Almazan with Coach Pogi and his staff for support that translated to decent playing time to be a crucial clog in the rotation.

bugleboy
12-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Good point, knightrider. Players will rise to the occasion when given the playing time by an understanding coach. This is exactly the case with Kevin Alas, who has been given the necessary leeway to do his stuff at TnT, resulting in marvelous performances, including the one last night.

On the other hand, we also have Aaron Aban in TnT who, despite his dwindling numbers and minutes, has managed to stay on with the Texters because of his hard-nosed defense and the fact that he can drill in those jumpers when he's open.

Congratulations to these two Knights on the win last night versus the hard-luck Ginebra squad!

bugleboy
12-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Letranista vs. Letranista in the Alaska vs. ROS game last night. Both Jazul and Almazan had sterling contributions. Too bad one team had to lose, though.

Box scores:

ALASKA 87- Casio 16, Thoss 16, Abueva 14, Jazul 12, Menk 8, Baguio 7, Exciminiano 6, Manuel 4, dela Cruz 3, Banchero 1, Hontiveros 0.

RAIN OR SHINE 80- Chan 17, Belga 11, Almazan 10, Araña 8, Lee 7, Tang 7, Uyloan, 6, Cruz 6, Norwood 6, Ibañes 2, Tiu 0, Quiñahan 0.

bugleboy
12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
In other news: Willie Miller may not be in pros at the present time, but this clip shows that he should be. He is way better than some of those pros getting contracts and playing time in the PBA:

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/willie-miller-three-pointer-siargao-marikina-delague-basketball-pba

knightrider
12-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Knights galore in the PBA semis: Yeng Guiao, Caloy Garcia, Alamazan for ROS; Louie Alas and RJ Jazul for Alaska; and Aaron Aban and Kevin Alas for Tnt! Arriba!!!

bugleboy
12-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Yup. Coach Caloy and Almazan exacted revenge vs. the Alaska Aces last night, with Coach Caloy calling for ROS all throughout the game, as Coach Yeng came in late. This is turning out to be a slam-bang series, all right.

Re TnT, it looks like they have to do some major adjustments in order to avoid being swept by the San Miguel Beermen.

bugleboy
12-21-2014, 11:32 AM
BTW, another Letranite in the Alaska coaching staff is assistant coach Monch Gavieres, ex-head coach of the Letran Squires.

bugleboy
01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Almazan puts in his two-cents' worth about Calvin Abueva:

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/raymond-almazan-calvin-abueva-rain-or-shine-alaska-pba-playoffs-philippine-cup-semi

bugleboy
01-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Almazan played a great game last night in ROS's loss to RJ Jazul's Alaska Aces. On to the Finals for RJ, and coaches Louie and Monch! Better luck next time for Raymund, and coaches Yeng, Caloy and Mike!

The scores: (from spin.ph)

ALASKA 79 – Hontiveros 17, Abueva 15, Thoss 11, Baguio 6, Manuel 6, Menk 6, Jazul 5, Exciminiano 4, Dela Cruz 4, Casio 3, Banchero 2, Eman 0, Dela Rosa 0, Espinas 0

ROS 76 – Chan 14, Almazan 11, Uyloan 9, Arana 9, Belga 9, Lee 7, Ibanes 6, Norwood 4, Tang 4, Quinahan 3, Teng 0, Tiu 0, Cruz 0

Quarterscores: 20-16, 36-28, 56-60, 79-76

bugleboy
01-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Louie Alas on the Alaska Aces' plight: http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/alaska-san-miguel-pba-philippine-cup-finals-louie-alas

bugleboy
01-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Good question from rivals.ph: http://rivals.ph/basketball/pba/2015/01/17/20931/why-didnt-alex-compton-send-rj-jazul-back-game-5/

RJ, however, didn't shoot as well last night, even though he was given a lot of playing time. He ought to be able to drain those open shots more consistently. The box scores:

Alaska 87 - Hontiveros 18, Thoss 13, Manuel 12, Baguio 10, Casio 9, Exciminiano 8, Dela Cruz 6, Abueva 5, Jazul 4, Banchero 2, Eman 0, dela Rosa 0, Menk 0, Espinas 0.

San Miguel Beer 76 - Santos 24, Lassiter 19, Fajardo 9, Cabagnot 8, Kramer 5, Lutz 4, Tubid 3, Omolon 2, Semerad 2, Ross 0, Pascual 0, Fortuna 0, Chua 0, Maierhofer 0.

Quarterscores: 17-23, 42-36, 63-56, 87-76

bugleboy
01-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Good news about Samboy Lim: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/22/15/samboy-cries-after-daughter-passes-college-entrance-exams

Laban, Samboy!

ESCALERA JR.
01-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Nothing short of a miracle! Samboy does not only perform miracle shots during his heydays, he comes back from the dead! Alleluia.

I just hope once he gets back on his feet again, he gives more focus on the training and coaching aspect of the game. Leave playing basketball to the young ones, di na kakayanin ng 50+ yr old body ang ganon stress workouts.

Thank you, the Lord has heard our collective prayers. Arriba Samboy! Arriba na din to his ex wife Atty. and daughter Jamie!

ESCALERA JR.
01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Take a look at this...a deadly mix of 3 elite pointguards(the present, the future and a comebacking Pg) two of them former LetranKnights http://TBTi.me/gh

knightrider
01-29-2015, 10:35 AM
It was a weird feeling to see three generations of Letran Knights playing at the same time (Willie Miller, Aaron Aban and Kevin Alas). Nice win for TnT.

bugleboy
01-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Return of Thriller Miller! I'm just glad that he found his way back to the PBA.

knightrider
01-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Where is Rey Guevarra? He's not in the Bolts' line-up.

ESCALERA JR.
02-01-2015, 08:31 PM
ayaw ata ng meralco Bolts sa mga letranista. Nilaglag si Miller last conference, ngayon naman si Guevara.

Pansinin naman naten si Faundoooh - double digit 2 consecutive games pero talunan...

ESCALERA JR.
02-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Bryan Faundo's numbers has been consistent so far but unfortunately always ending up on the losing side...contributing 19 points in two previous outings then again chipping 15 pts last night. Would be nice to see him score this much when his team notches its first win nman makatikim ng best player of the game.

bugleboy
02-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Bryan Faundo continues his good performance and...(drumroll, please)... Blackwater finally wins!

The scores:

Blackwater 80 -- Douthit 20, Heruela 11, Faundo 10, Nuyles 8, Gamalinda 7, Bulawan 6, Salvacion 6, Canada 3, Celiz 3, Ballesteros 2, Laure 2, Acuna 2, Erram 0.

San Miguel Beer 77 -- Robrts 18, Lutz 16, Santos 11, Tubid 9, Cabagnot 5, Lassiter 5, Fajardo 5, Ros 4, Omolon 2, Fortuna 2, Kramer 0.

Quarters: 11-21; 38-44; 60-52; 80-77.

ESCALERA JR.
02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Idol Bryan Faundoooh still at it-again scoring a team high 17pts...but then, again on the losing side.

knightrider
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Where is Rey Guevarra? He's not in the Bolts' line-up.

It looks like he's still with the Bolts. According to him, he just returned from injury...probably why he's not playing early part of this conference.

Congrats for winning the slam dunk contest. Back to back pa!

bugleboy
03-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Pag sinabon, gumagaling! :)

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/raymond-almazan-yeng-guiao-rain-or-shine-kia-pba-commissioners-cup

bugleboy
03-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Arriba, Jazul!

Scores from spin.ph:

Alaska 104 - James 29, Baguio 17, Abueva 16, Jazul 10, Hontiveros 9, Casio 5, Banchero 4, Thoss 4, Exciminiano 4, Manuel 2, Menk 2, Baclao 2, Eman 0, Dela Cruz 0.

Ginebra 98 - Dunigan 32, Baracael 18, Aguilar 17, Tenorio 10, Urbiztondo 8, Slaughter 7, Caguioa 4, Monfort 2, Pena 0, Helterbrand 0, Ababou 0, Ellis 0.

Quarterscores: 29-23, 52-39, 78-69, 104-98

bugleboy
03-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Late post, but congrats nonetheless to RJ Jazul for a great effort. Too bad Alaska lost, though. Better luck next conference!

http://www.alaskaaces.com.ph/v3/alaska-aces-bow-out-of-commissioners-cup-with-loss-to-purefoods

bugleboy
04-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Great game by Kevin Alas in the TnT win over Purefoods last night. Clutch threes and a breakaway layup to help the Tropa to pull away in the fourth quarter!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/rookie-kevin-alas-credits-dad-for-preparing-him-defens

knightrider
04-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Almazan is also making a splash over at RoS. Likewise, it's great to see Aaron Aban getting more TnT playing time because of his defensive prowess. It would be nice to see all these Knights battle it out against one another in the Finals. Congrats to Willie Miller for making the PBA Top 40 great players.

ESCALERA JR.
04-11-2015, 07:19 AM
TnT has a mix of 3 players who once donned the LetranKnights jersey in 3 different eras - ( the vintage Willie Miller, hulking AaronAban and rookie K.Alas) up against former NC MVP GrandKnight Almazan teaming up w ex Letran coach Garcia and Yeng Guiao og RoS...Arriba mga letranista..RocknRoll na!

bugleboy
04-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Good article about Aaron Aban after his stirring performance.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/aaron-aban-offense-defense-birthday-talk-n-text-jong-uichico-purefoods-pba-commissioners-cup-semifinals

bugleboy
04-11-2015, 09:07 AM
And another one. :)

http://pba.inquirer.net/boxscore

bugleboy
04-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Almazan in the news!

http://cnnphilippines.com/sports/2015/04/26/pba-finals-rain-or-shine-talk-n-text-game-6-almazan.html

bugleboy
05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
The resurrection of Rey Guevarra!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/rey-guevarra-gives-meralco-impact-whether-stat-sheet/24022

ESCALERA JR.
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Spin.ph

ESCALERA JR.
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Better late than never na balita...Kerby Raymundo finally retires.

Thats one less letranite in the pros. Salamat Kerby...Arriba!

bugleboy
05-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Oo nga pala. Mabuti't napaalala mo, sir ESCALERA JR. Salamat, Kerby! Hope to see you as big man coach of the Knights one of these days.

knightrider
05-28-2015, 03:38 PM
His last stint was Meralco, after being traded. He didn't get to play because of a recurring aggravated knee injury that aggravated. I gather he adopted a wait and see attitude, that the knee would get better with time and then, resume his playing career. I gathered from other sources that a knee operation to be done in the USA would have set him back by more than 4 million pesos. He probably felt that the money could be better used elsewhere.

I still remember that first Finals game vs. JRC (now JRU) in the late 90's. It was a close game but he made a critical shot in the waning moments that clinched the game for us. Of course, we won the second game and crowned Champions for that year. The coach was (it wasn't Louie Alas) former UST player BINKY FAVIS!

Thanks Kerby and more power!

knightrider
05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
His last stint was Meralco, after being traded. He didn't get to play because of a recurring knee injury that aggravated. I gather he adopted a wait and see attitude, that the knee would get better with time and then, resume his playing career. Other sources reported that a knee operation to be done in the USA would have set him back by more than 4 million pesos. He probably felt that the money could be better used elsewhere.

I still remember that first Finals game vs. JRC (now JRU) in the late 90's. It was a very close game but he made a critical shot in the waning moments that clinched the game for us. Of course, we won the second game and were crowned Champions for that year. The coach then wasn't Louie Alas but former UST player BINKY FAVIS!

Thanks Kerby and more power!

bugleboy
07-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Rock 'n roll! :)

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/raymond-almazan-rain-or-shine-gilas-pilipinas-tryouts-tab-baldwin-yeng-guiao-haddadi-belga-asi-taulava

ESCALERA JR.
08-19-2015, 12:41 PM
What are the chances of Mark Cruz and KRACS in the upcoming PBA draft?

KIA for Cruz while Alaska is the best team for Racal...si coach L.Alas ata ang naka discover kay kevin while playing in a league somewhere in Muntinlupa.

Best of luck to our graduating Knights.

ESCALERA JR.
08-19-2015, 12:41 PM
What are the chances of Mark Cruz and KRACS in the upcoming PBA draft?

KIA for Cruz while Alaska is the best team for Racal...si coach L.Alas ata ang naka discover kay kevin while playing in a league somewhere in Muntinlupa.

Best of luck to our graduating Knights.

bugleboy
08-19-2015, 10:01 PM
^Mock drafts have shown both Cruz and KRacs as being third-round possibilities -- not really fair assessments of their ability, considering that UE's Trollano and JRU's Mabulac are projected to be drafted ahead of them. I guess this is where we will see if former coaches Caloy and Louie or current coach Aldin (along with Boss Manny) will be able to pull strings to help their wards. KRacs has been quoted as wanting to be drafted by ROS, though I doubt if this will come to pass.

http://www.pbadraft.net/#!pba-mock-draft-2015/c18ar

knightrider
08-20-2015, 07:25 PM
KRacs was included in the PBA Draft combine mythical team together with former Squire Glenn Khobuntin. Kracs may yet edge out ex-Squire Roi Sumang as a first round choice for RoS. RoS needs heft and height which KRacs has more of than Sumang. KRacs is not an unknown quantity as his former coach, Caloy Garcia, knows what he can contribute to RoS. Who knows?!!

bugleboy
08-21-2015, 01:05 PM
^Kung sabagay. Sana nga! Mark Cruz, though, may be a harder sell.

ESCALERA JR.
08-22-2015, 09:41 AM
The 'Ant Man' Mark Cruz has boosted his stock even more after winning the NCAA 3PT contest. At di pa nakuntento, he made the winning free throws to seal the game for Letran-powered West team. What a way to showcase his wares before the upcoming pba draft.

Likewise, rookie coach Aldin AYO slowly but surely making waves in his very young coaching career. A virtual unkown before the start of Season91, he has so far racked up 9 consecutive wins( including last nights game). Hindi ko na binilang yung isang talo kasi suspendidi nanan sya at wala sa bench.

Racal has so far won best player of the week twice and may win some more in the coming games.

Way to go Knights! Arriba pa more!!!

ESCALERA JR.
08-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Lagi na lang nagddbl post...............

bugleboy
08-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Kevin Racal was picked 11th overall in the first round by Alaska (thanks, Coach Louie!), while Mark Cruz was the 30th pick (Star Hotshots) in the third round.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/534047/sports/basketball/full-results-2015-pba-rookie-draft

knightrider
08-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Plenty of Fil-Fors applied for the draft. Some played here and we're familiar with their style, like Josan Nimes, Chris Newsome, Norbert Torres and others who played Pinoy college ball. We know what they can deliver. But the others who just played the requisite number of games in the D-league just hoped to cash in. Really now, do they think the basketball pundits in this hoop crazy country are that dumb? Some probably played in some inconsequential backyard league from where they came from and think they can squeeze their way into the line-up of a PBA team. Marami nga sa kanila, hindi mukhang Pinoy, hindi marunong magsalita ng Pilipino, pagkatapos mag-aaply sa PHILIPPINE (emphasis on the country) Basketball Association. Malamang without a tinge of Pinoy culture pa at all. Nakakainis talaga. Mabuti na lang, ang karamihan sa kangkunagan lumagpak!

knightrider
08-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Kevin Racal was picked 11th overall in the first round by Alaska (thanks, Coach Louie!), while Mark Cruz was the 30th pick (Star Hotshots) in the third round.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/534047/sports/basketball/full-results-2015-pba-rookie-draft

Cracking into the Star Hotshots line-up may be hard but not out of the question for Mark Cruz. He just has to keep on playing his usual game in this NCAA season to serve as his audition and a possible curtain call for the 41st PBA season. He and Racal should just play their go-go game. Not playing it safe like a former JRU player who got drafted high, and became a no show in the F4 and the Finals. The team who drafted him saw that as lack of ''puso" and did not sign him up. But the convincing power of his agent was that good that he got signed up by a low echelon team, and is now bouncing like a ball from one team to another.

bugleboy
08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Looking at the Star lineup, one can see that there are four guys who consistently play as PG, the prospective role Cruz would be assigned if here were to crack the lineup. Who would he replace, if ever? Definitely not Barroca, Melton, or Mallari, as these three have more than shown their mettle in the various championship runs of Star. If there is any guard who is dispensable at the moment, it would have to be Lester Alvarez -- who, ironically enough, played for the ill-fated Squires team that had to forfeit all their wins because Alvarez played in the Destiny league while the NCAA tourney was going on. I wonder if this will come to pass, though.

knightrider
10-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Double post, so edited... the only thing I can say is...

Arriba LETRAN!!!

knightrider
10-31-2015, 12:23 PM
K-Racs is joining a streaking team while the Antman, a floundering one.

Good luck in your new careers as pro-ballers.

We all thank you for your great service to our Alma Mater.

Arriba LETRAN!!!
:congratulatory:

danny
11-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Escalera, Im posting this here because the thread was already locked:

Congratulations Letran Knights! An impressive show of determination! Wonderful!

You guys showed the Philippine college basketball how it is done! Well done!

Until we meet again.

Animo San Beda!
Arriba Letran!

ESCALERA JR.
11-01-2015, 04:10 AM
salamat danny...at sa lahat. Wonderful season indeed...one for the books.

So now that 2 of Letran's big3 have finally settled down after the euphoria, very soon they will be at each others throat as pro ballers...KRAcs with Alaska and the AnTMan @STAR. A reunion of sorts for racal with coach Louie Alas and Jazul. Ironically, he would now be teamates with former nemesis the Beast Calvin abueva and ex Lion Rome DLrosa...mga dating kabantayan niya not too long ago. This will be avery potent combination, pagsabayin nila mga ito would make Alaska team one of the favourites.

Mark Cruz on the other hand is in a team loaded with p.guards. i dont know how he would fit in pero sana mabigyan sya ng chance to show his wares soon enough habang mainit init pa ang kamay niya straight from the championship. This is now the big lleague he is playing in with bigger men and bigger defenders. Si mark kasi itsurang parang napadaan lang at nautusan ng nanay bumili ng toyo at hindi na bumalik...lol. Show them what youve got Mark! He is not the AntMan for nothin...goodluck to the new kids on the block.

bugleboy
11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure if Mark Cruz's signing with Star for one conference is such a hot idea. For one thing, it puts too much pressure on Mark to show his stuff, while being given scrap minutes. I don't know what he will be able to show with the minutes he will be given.

On the other hand, you have to hand it to the kid. He is still positive, and still thinks that this is the best thing that could have happened to him. If only for that unquenchable spirit, I'm rooting for him and Star for this conference!

Meanwhile, I hope Mark will remain true to his promise to Coach Aldin to go back to Letran to finish his degree soon.

ESCALERA JR.
11-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Kamusta na sina Kracs at MCruz? Silang dalawa na lang ata ang di pa nakapaglalaro amongst this years rookies...not so sure if i missed their first games. Racal having signed a longer contract would get his chance very soon, however for mark medyo not so a good sign.
Sana mabigyan ng kahit konting time.

bugleboy
11-24-2015, 08:14 AM
^Wala pa yata, paps. Unless I missed out on something... :(

bugleboy
01-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Salamat, Kevin Racal! Congratulations on the award!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/letrans-racal-feus-pogoy-feted-collegiate-finals-heroics/45673

bugleboy
01-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Congratulations, Mark Cruz!

http://sports.inquirer.net/203051/super-seniors-amer-cruz-tolomia-get-nod-for-stellar-careers

ESCALERA JR.
10-08-2016, 12:21 AM
Unheralded Bryan FA-UNDOHHH!!!

Our knight in the ongoing PBA finals. Harinawa makatikim ka ng kampeonato na di mo naranasan sa college basketball.

knightrider
10-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Faundo was part of the 2005-2006 Knights Champion Team. He probably rode the bench most of time together with RJ Jazul because of the power laden line-up at that time. Big Mac and E-Rod manned the center position.

The 2005-2006 line-up (per Wikipedia):
4 Mark Andaya
5 Bryan Faundo
6 J. P. Alcaraz
7 Mark Balineg
8 Boyet Bautista (Finals MVP)
9 John Carl Melegrito
10 Eric Rodriguez
11 Jonathan Pinera
12 Jonathan Aldave
14 Michael Realista
15 Billy Anabo
16 Andro Quinday
17 Aaron Aban
19 Hafer Mondragon
20 RJ Jazul
Coach Louie Alas

bugleboy
10-08-2016, 09:55 AM
^You're right. I don't remember Faundo ever being fielded in during that season. On topic: last night, however, was another story. He performed very well at the PF spot, surprising even his assigned Ginebra guard. :) Kudos to Faundo!

ESCALERA JR.
10-08-2016, 10:13 AM
My bad!...third stringer-seldom used player pala siya noon kaya di ko napansin. Gamit ba gamit naman ni coach louie after big mac-jong pinyera left the team. At ang nakakaaliw pag player intro na ng barker...bryan fa UNdo!!!

bugleboy
10-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Career changes: Good luck to Coach Yeng Guiao, newly appointed head coach of the NLEX Road Warriors. Congratulations to Coach Caloy Garcia on his promotion as head coach of the Rain or Shine Elastopainters. Arriba!

bugleboy
10-21-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm a BGSM fan, and I'm happy that they finally ended their 8-year drought. But I also have to give props to how Meralco played this conference -- especially Bryan Faundo! Well-played, idol! Better luck next conference!

knightrider
10-22-2016, 06:43 AM
I'm a BGSM fan, and I'm happy that they finally ended their 8-year drought. But I also have to give props to how Meralco played this conference -- especially Bryan Faundo! Well-played, idol! Better luck next conference!

Faundo previously wore the BGSM jersey too. The other Knights that played for this fabled NSD-Never Say Die team are Kerby Raymundo, Willie Miller, Ed Ducut, Terry Saldana, etc.

With the government's current war against drugs, NSD should mean Never Say Drugs!

"NEVER SAY DRUGS!!! Huwag gumamit ng droga. Unimon na lang ng ginebra! Siguradong hindi ka mamamatay, sira lang nga ang atay!" ...ha ha ha...joke lang.

To all Knights who are fans of BGSM - congrats!

ESCALERA JR.
10-30-2016, 11:15 PM
Mcjour Luib left out in the Pba draft. Good riddance, now he can focus more as Ayo's understudy.

bugleboy
11-10-2016, 01:34 PM
^Well, at least he could say that he gave it a shot. Maybe it's really his calling to be a coach anyway. I'm hoping to see him back in Letran -- this time as assistant coach or coach -- sometime in the future.

ESCALERA JR.
03-30-2017, 01:25 AM
Mark Cruz balik PBA. The Antman plucked from the free agency goes back to the pros playing for the Blackwater Elite.

Goodluck idol. Arriba1

bugleboy
04-01-2017, 10:47 PM
You can't put a good man down. Welcome back to the PBA, Mark Cruz!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/mark-cruz-matching-up-with-jayson-castro-blackwater-elite-pba-commissioners-cup

ESCALERA JR.
10-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to the newly minted PRo ballers Knights, all members of the 2015 Champion Letran Team!

Rey Nambatac, Jom Sollano and Felix Apreku!!!

We are mighty proud. Goodluck on your pro carreers. Arriba!

bugleboy
12-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Good luck, Fafa Rey! http://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/rey-guevarra-fighting-for-spot-phoenix-fuel-masters-pba-philippine-cup

knightrider
12-09-2017, 08:35 AM
I hope he makes the cut. With enough exposure, I think he will thrive under CLA. With the Keifer at NLEX, Kevin's playing time may go down. A future trade to his father's team perhaps???

bugleboy
03-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Arriba, Kevin Alas!

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/nlex-guard-kevin-alas-rolls-out-old-college-acrobatic-shot-to-put-an-end-to-alaska-threat