PDA

View Full Version : SOARING FALCONS 2013-2014

fujitsu
06-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Final four target. achievable if you work hard.

Sam Miguel
07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Falcons blast Maroons; Bulldogs signal fall of Eagles

By Olmin Leyba

(The Philippine Star) | Updated July 1, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Pouncing on the shift of power in UAAP Season 76 men’s basketball tournament, National U flashed fine form early and came away with an emphatic 64-54 rout of defending five-peat champion Ateneo at the MOA Arena yesterday.

Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (22 points, nine rebounds, four assists) and Emmanuel Mbe (14 markers, 15 boards), leaders of a Bulldogs pack coming back intact from a Final Four stint last year, played true to their roles as NU stamped its class on a shorthanded Ateneo side, snapping the 10-game losing streak to the once mighty Blue Eagles.

The triumph placed NU on a share of the lead with Adamson, which routed University of the Philippines, 79-67, in the first game, and opening-day winners University of Santo Tomas and Far Eastern University.

“This is a significant win for us, matagal-tagal na rin namin di natatalo ang Ateneo (It’s been quite a while since we last beat Ateneo), although coming into this game, we weren’t thinking of that. We just wanted to start on a high note and it just happened we played Ateneo first,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano.

Capitalizing on the lack of a seven-footer in the Eagles’ lineup this year, Mbe and his fellow frontliners dominated the boards, 52-39.

“I think that (rebounding) is the key to this game,” said Altamirano, who managed to get this done while Cameroonian center Alfred Aroga, his other import, sat out over eligibility issues. He said NU management decided not to use Aroga until they have completed the birth certificate and other documents required by the league.

With five of Ateneo’s five-peat winning team not around anymore and remaining star Kiefer Ravena playing sparingly (eight minutes, two points) due to ankle injury, the Bulldogs had little problem asserting themselves and taking control.

By the 5:31 mark of the fourth they were ahead by a mile, 59-35. Since then, however, Ateneo unleashed one last charge against a relaxing NU and got to within 10 points.

“Obviously we didn’t end on a high note. We were controlling the first three quarters then somehow, our defense relaxed and we allowed them (Ateneo) to get their bearing with their outside shots,” said Altamirano.

Juami Tiongson paced Ateneo with 13 points, spiked by three triples.

Falcons’ hulking Cameroonian newbie Ingrid Sewa immediately made his presence felt and debuted with 15 points and nine rebounds to backstop top scorer Jericho Cruz’s 19 points and six boards in Adamson’s easy win.

“During the summer leagues, I really made the effort to study UP’s system so they won’t shame us here in the opening. Especially since we’re the host and everybody’s expecting us to do well,” said AdU coach Leo Austria, whose wards also picked up their first win in the opening weekend since 2010.

Joseph Marata, a transferee from La Salle, led the way for rookie-laden Maroons with 20 points.

Joescoundrel
07-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Falcons back-up guards step up to lift spirits of grief-stricken teammate

By Reuben Terrado

July 01, 2013, 06:57 pm

WITH their regular point guard in mourning after the death of a loved one, the Adamson Falcons found a compelling reason to win their season debut in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

The Falcons went all out in beating the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons, 79-67, in part to offer the win to starting point guard Ryan Monteclaro’s late mother.

Star Jericho Cruz said everyone in the team pushed to lift the spirits of their grief-stricken teammate.

“Dine-dedicate kasi namin ‘yung game sa mother ni Ryan,” said Cruz after the game.

With their starting playmaker obviously devastated, back-ups Ar-raouf Julkipli and Axel Inigo made sure they got the job done when they took over the playmaking chores from Monteclaro.

It was Julkipli who started at the point and finished with eight points, seven rebounds, two assists, and a steal in 20 minutes of play, while Inigo, recruited from San Beda, came off the bench and came away with six assists and two steals to go with three points.

And no one was happier for the two than coach Leo Austria.

“I’m happy to see na nag-deliver sila,” Austria said of his back-up point guards. “I don’t need them to score. I told them na you have the skills of a point guard. But I want my point guard to set up plays.”

Just like brother Nikki who plays for Emilio Aguinaldo College in the NCAA, Monteclaro showed up for the Falcons’ game against the Maroons even when the family was still mourning the death of mom Sylvia last week. (See Grieving Monteclaro determined to honor memory of late mom - http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/archives/2)

But Austria understandably, played him for just a minute as he hasn’t practiced with the team the past few days to be with his family.

“Our sympathy to Monteclaro because deep inside his heart, he wanted to play to help the team. But I’m sure na he’s out of focus at may mga iniisip pa siya. To lose a mother, it’s really hard for him to play,” said Austria.

The soft-spoken mentor, however, respected Monteclaro’s decision to suit up upon the instruction of his father, who told his two playing sons to play since their late mother always reminded them not to miss games.

“To lose a mother, it’s really hard for him even if he says he is ready. I have to give respect to him. Ryan is close to the team. Siya ang glue ng team,” said Austria.

Joescoundrel
07-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Tigers share lead; UE wins

By Cedelf P. Tupas

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:49 am | Sunday, July 7th, 2013

PLAYING with more fire in the second half, University of Santo Tomas brought down another contender in Adamson, 67-62, yesterday to gain a piece of the lead with Far Eastern U in the UAAP Season 76 at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

The Tigers came out strong after a lethargic first two periods, erasing a double-digit lead in the third quarter with Jeric Teng and Kevin Ferrer leading the charge.

Teng poured 13 of his 15 points in the second half, including a 15-foot fade away with 16 seconds remaining to give UST breathing room at 66-62.

Later, Roi Sumang completed a four-point play with 3.7 seconds remaining to lift University of the East to a pulsating 71-67 victory over National U.

The Warriors finally played like the powerhouse team it was billed to be at the start of the season with Sumang, who finished with a team-high 19 points, capping his game-long brilliance with a triple from 26 feet out while drawing a foul from NU star Ray Parks.

The Warriors tied their victims at 1-1, the same record as Adamson.

“We were humbled after the loss to FEU,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar. “We had some excess baggage, some bad habits after the preseason that showed against FEU. But Roi Sumang brought the most important baggage of all in this game, which is his big heart.”

With former UE star Paul Lee watching from courtside and the score tied at 67, Sumang took Parks one-on-one and put the exclamation point in a game-defining play.

Atoning for his poor effort against FEU, the Warriors’ 6-foot-8 center Charles Mammie dished out a monster performance with 15 points and 20 rebounds, 13 offensively.

Parks, the reigning Most Valuable Player, struggled with 11 points on 3-of-16 shooting for the Bulldogs, who scratched Cameroonian Alfred Aroga from their roster because he failed to comply with the league’s residency requirements of two years just before the game.

The loss turned out to be a double-whammy for the Falcons, who lost valuables, including mobile phones and cash, to burglars who sneaked into their locker room.

The scores:

First Game

UST 67—Ferrer 17, Teng 15, Bautista 9, Mariano 8, Daquiaog 7, Abdul 6, Lo 5, So 0, Sherrif 0, Pe 0, Hainga 0.

ADAMSON 62—Cruz 15, Sewa 13, Cabrera 11, Brondial 9, Trollano 6, Julkipli 4, Petlos 3, Inigo 1, Rios 0, Monteclaro 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 18-22, 26-34, 45-41, 67-62

Second Game

UE 71—Sumang 19, Mammie 15, Jumao-as 11, Olivares 9, Santos 6, Javier 4, Noble 3, Sumido 2, Casajeros 2, Guion 0, Galanza 0, Flores 0.

NU 67—Mbe 18, Parks 11, Khobuntin 8, Javillonar 8, Alejandro 8, Alolino 7, Rosario 4, Villamor 3, Rono 0, Neypes 0, De Guzman 0.

Quarters: 12-18, 32-31, 55-52, 71-67

Sam Miguel
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Bulldogs down Tigers; Falcons up

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:44 pm | Wednesday, July 10th, 2013

NATIONAL University spoiled University of Santo Tomas’ bid to stay perfect as Ray Parks pumped in 20 points to lift the Bulldogs to a 71-67 triumph over the Tigers yesterday in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Parks fueled a third-quarter breakaway that lifted NU to a 54-42 lead before the Bulldogs withstood the Tigers’ late rally even without chief gunner Jeric Teng, who sat out the entire second half due to an injured right shoulder.

“We knew coming into this game that we’re going to have a hard time against UST because they never give up until the end,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “I kept telling my boys that we need to keep our composure.”

NU and UST wound up tied at 2-1 along with Adamson, which also fought off University of the East’s furious fourth-quarter comeback to forge a 78-71 triumph in the first game.

Roider Cabrera knocked in all of his 19 markers in the first half, 15 from beyond the arc, to fuel the Falcons’ sizzling start where they led by 25 points, 50-25, at the break.

Ingrid Sewa added 15 points, 11 rebounds and a couple of blocks for the Falcons, who pulled ahead by as many as 30 points, 55-25, before the Warriors whittled it down to a single digit behind Roi Sumang.

Parks sat out for nearly half of the fourth period due to foul trouble but Emmanuel Mbe and Gelo Alolino kept the Bulldogs on top with key baskets in the last three minutes.

Teng sat out the rest of the game after saying he couldn’t move his shoulder after he fell when Jeoff Javillonar slammed into him just 75 seconds left in the first half.

Parks, who dropped nine points in a 15-5 spurt that gave the Bulldogs their biggest lead, also had six boards, six assists, two steals and two blocks.

Mbe posted a double-double of 17 markers and 11 boards, while Jeth Rosario and Alolino scored a combined 20 for the Bulldogs.

“It was big for us when they lost Teng,” said Altamirano.

Sumang erupted for a game-high 26 points, 18 in the second half where the Warriors also gave the Falcons a tough time with their defensive press.

The Falcons held on despite going scoreless from the 4:48 mark and Sewa also fouling out in the last two minutes.

The scores:

First Game

ADAMSON 78–Cabrera 19, Sewa 15, Cruz 10, Julkipli 6, Brondial 6, Iņigo 5, Rios 4, Petilos 4, Agustin 4, Abrigo 4, Monteclaro 1, Trollano 0.

UE 71–Sumang 26, Casajeros 14, Mammie 9, Sumido 6, Santos 4, Javier 2, Olivares 2, Noble 2, Jumao-as 2, Alberto 2, Pujante 0, Hernandez 0, Galanza 0, Flores 0.

Quarters: 27-14, 50-25, 68-45, 78-71

Second Game

NU 71–Parks 20, Mbe 17, Rosario 12, Alolino 8, Villamor 5, Javillonar 3, Roņo 2, Porter 2, Khobuntin 2, De Guzman 0, Alejandro 0.

UST 67–Ferrer 20, Daquioag 13, Bautista 9, Teng 7, Mariano 7, Abdul 6, Lo 3, Pe 2, So 0, Hainga 0.

Quarters: 22-15, 37-31, 54-44, 71-67

Sam Miguel
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Ateneo ends winless spell

Eagles pick Falcons as first prey; Bulldogs up

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:57 pm | Sunday, July 14th, 2013

Ateneo finally saw an end to its nightmarish start.

JP Erram came out big in the second half as the Blue Eagles snapped out of their three-game winless spell with a commanding 71-59 victory over the Adamson Falcons in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

“More than anything else, this is a relief because if you keep on losing, it’s going to challenge your confidence,” Ateneo coach Bo Perasol said after the Blue Eagles, champions of the last five seasons, picked up their first win after an unexpected 0-3 start.

There’s no third-quarter collapse for the Eagles this time. Instead, they turned it into a decisive period where they erected their first double-digit lead, 57-47.

Jumai Tiongson topscored for the Eagles with 15 and Erram dropped 10 of his 12 points in the third quarter aside from grabbing 12 rebounds.

Ryan Buenafe also finished an assist-shy of a triple-double. He also had 12 boards and 11 points.

Earlier, National University regained its bearing in the final period and rolled to a 74-60 triumph over University of the Philippines for a share of second with idle University of Santo Tomas at 3-1.

Ray Parks fired 18 points on top of nine rebounds and six assists while Emmanuel Mbe, Gelo Alolino and Troy Rosario also came through in the closing minutes as NU built a 19-point advantage, 71-52, after the Maroons had threatened within three, 49-46.

Adamson fell to fourth at 2-2, while UP skidded to its fourth straight loss.

The Blue Eagles shaved their heads as a sign of unity days after taking consecutive losses from NU, Far Eastern University and La Salle pushed them to their worst start in 16 years.

“The criticisms that I received the past weeks were more than what I received in my entire career as a PBA coach,” said Perasol. “So imagine how relieved I am today. But we’ll keep on going. As long as I can rely on the 100 percent effort of my players, I can take that any time.”

Crack Ateneo guard Kiefer Ravena suited up again after sitting out the last two games due to a sprained ankle but was far from his explosive form. He finished with just four points on a 1-of-5 shooting clip in 11 minutes of action.

But it hardly mattered as the Eagles kept the Falcons from coming no closer than eight points in the final quarter, 59-51. They even outrebounded the much taller Adamson squad, 49-37.

“The problem in the last three games was we were waiting for a savior every time we’re behind,” said Perasol. “But Kiefer wasn’t there, so thankfully, we were able to overcome that in our fourth game.”

“I thought we did a good job in our defense in the fourth, and at the same time, our offense clicked,” said NU coach Eric Altmirano.

Mbe had a double-double of 15 points and 12 rebounds, while third-year point guard Alolino added 12 points and seven assists for the Bulldogs.

Rosario, who finished with 10 points, also drilled six straight in an 8-0 run at the start of the fourth quarter that sparked the Bulldogs’ breakaway.

The scores:

First Game

NU 74—Parks 18, Mbe 15, Alolino 12, Rosario 10, Javillonar 9, Roņo 3, Alejandro 3, Villamor 2. Khobuntin 2, Porter 0, De Guzamn 0.

UP 60—Marata 14, Lao 11, Soyud 10, Ball 8, Gallarza 5, Pascual 3, Gingerich 3, Asilum 3, Wong 2, Ligad 1, Suarez 0, Paras 0, Desiderio
0, Amar 0.

Quarters: 21-13, 39-29, 53-47, 74-60

Second Game

ATENEO 71—Tiongson 15, Erram 12, Buenafe 11, Newsome 10, Golla 6, Ravena 4, Pessumal 3, Tolentino 2, Lim 2, Elorde 2, Enriquez 0.

ADAMSON 59—Cruz 21, Cabrera 14, Brondial 8, Sewa 4, Iņigo 3, Agustin 3, Rios 2, Monteclaro 2, Abrigo 2, Trollano 0, Petilos 0, Julkipli 0.

Quarters: 13-16, 32-28, 57-47, 71-59

Sam Miguel
07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Sewa shoulder injury not serious enough to force him to sit out games

By Reuben Terrado

July 15, 2013, 05:05 pm

BIG man Ingrid Sewa is not expected to miss games despite re-injuring his right shoulder during Adamson’s UAAP men’s basketball game against Ateneo on Sunday.

Adamson coach Leo Austria said Sewa strained his shoulder in the Falcons’ 59-71 loss to the Blue Eagles, but he doesn't expect the injury to force his starting center to miss games.

“Mayroon na siyang problema sa shoulder pero strain lang naman,” said Austria.

Sewa confirmed he initially injured the shoulder as early as the Filoil Flying V Premier Cup preseason tournament.

“I feel like I’m weak,” Sewa said after the game. “My arm is super heavy but the doctors said that it’s okay. I think I can now recover. He just told me to work out.”

Sewa was expected to dominate the paint against Ateneo's thin frontline on Sunday but failed to impose his will. He was also outplayed by Ateneo center JP Erram who came away with 12 points and 12 rebounds.

The injury affected Sewa not much physically as mentally, Austria said.

“Every time tatalon siya, hinahatak ‘yung kamay niya pababa kaya medyo natatakot siya,” said Austria.

Although he grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked two shots, Sewa was a non-factor for the Falcons on offense, missing all seven of his free throws.

More than the injury, Sewa expressed disappointment over the bungled free throws.

“I really feel bad right now because in practice, I shoot a minimum of 300 free throws but I can’t understand why I can’t make one,” said Sewa.

However, the hulking Cameroonian center expressed confidence he will improve on his free throw shooting in time for the Falcons’ next game against National University on Saturday.

“I will keep on practicing. Next game I will be okay,” said Sewa.

Joescoundrel
07-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Warriors, Falcons hack out close wins

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:39 am | Sunday, July 21st, 2013

RALF Olivares emerged as the end-game hero for University of the East and Jericho Cruz also came out big for Adamson as the Warriors and the Falcons pulled off separate pulsating triumphs in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Cruz dropped all but two of his 18 points in the second half as the Falcons stunned the National University Bulldogs, 68-66, to climb to solo third at 3-2.

The Warriors slipped past the La Salle Green Archers, 85-83, with Olivares knocking in six of UE’s last eight points inside the last 46 seconds.

“We were very fortunate against NU, we were lucky,” said coach Leo Austria, whose Falcons escaped as NU’s Robin Roņo missed a wide-open triple attempt at the buzzer.

Cruz buried the last four points in an 8-0 run that pushed the Falcons ahead, 68-63, going into the final minute after trailing at 60-63.

“He showed us he also has a big heart like (Roi) Sumang and (Charles) Mammie,” coach Boycie Zamar said of Olivares as the Warriors tied the Bulldogs at the fourth spot at 3-3.

Olivares buried a huge triple that gave the Warriors an 82-81 lead, then later nailed a buffer free throw with 12.6 seconds left after the Green Archers had threatened within a point, 84-83.

Coming off the bench like Olivares, guard Dan Alberto also delivered in the clutch by firing a floater that pushed the Warriors within a point, 77-78, and canning two cushion free throws, 84-81, with 28.5 seconds left.

The scores:

First Game

UE 85—Sumang 21, Mammie 19, Javier 16, Alberto 9, Olivares 8, Noble 8, Santos 4, Jumao-as 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0, Casajeros 0.

LA SALLE 83—Vosotros 26, Teng 13, N. Torres 9, T. Torres 9, Van Opstal 8, Dela Paz 8, Salem 6, Perkins 4, Tampus 0, Revilla 0, Montalbo 0.

Quarters: 18-18, 39-43, 58-64, 85-83

Second Game

ADAMSON 68—Cruz 18, Cabrera 12, Trollano 7, Sewa 6, Petilos 5, Rios 4, Monteclaro 4, Brondial 4, Agustin 4, Julkipli 2, Iņigo 2, Ochea 0, Abrigo 0.

NU 66—Mbe 17, Parks 15, Javillonar 10, Roņo 6, Perez 5, Villamor 4, Alolino 4, Javelona 3, Porter 2, Rosario 0, Khobuntin 0, Alejandro 0.

Quarters: 17-15, 32-28, 48-48, 68-66

Joescoundrel
07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
With luck on its side, Adamson slips past National U

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

8:16 pm | Saturday, July 20th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — Even its head coach admitted, Adamson had luck on its side in its 68-66 victory over National University Saturday in the UAAP season 76 men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

With the Falcons holding on to a precarious two-point edge with 14.4 seconds left, shooter Roider Cabrera muffed two pressure-packed freethrows that kept the door ajar for the Bulldogs.

NU found a wide-open Robin Roņo in the right corner for the final shot, ready to unleash a game-winning triple — but ultimately missed which paved way for Adamson’s their third victory.

“We’re fortunate that we were able to pull off a win. We had luck. Thank God Roņo missed that shot, or else our efforts would be for nothing,” said a relieved Leo Austria.

But they didn’t depend on luck to get the lead back in the last 3:36 of the game, as the Falcons went on an 8-0 run to give them a 68-63 lead.

Guard Jericho Cruz had back-to-back buckets in that stretch to cap his second half explosion. He finished with a game-best 18 points.

Rodney Brondial also soared high on defense, swatting away attempts, with impeccable timing, from Ray Parks, Jelo Alolino and Jeff Javillonar in the last two minutes.

The Bulldogs, though, still managed to pull within a basket away of victory after Ray Parks’ and-one play with 15.5 seconds left – before missing on the the most important shot.

NU dropped to under .500 in the standings, tying with University of the East with a 3-3 record. Adamson, meanwhile, improved to 3-2.

Cameroonian center Ingrid Sewa continued to struggle for Adamson, bother by his shoulder, and just had six points but with 13 boards.

Brondial, despite struggling offensively on 2-of-8 shooting, still had tremendous impact on the other side with six blocks.

“I’m happy. We were organized today unlike. I don’t know what happened to us against Ateneo but today everybody was focused to win,” also said Austria.

Cruz came out firing after the half as he poured most of his points in the third quarter, where the Falcons managed to halt NU’s press before it causes them more trouble.

But the Bulldogs still led 61-57 in the fourth on basket from Emmanuel Mbe, but went without a field goal for the next six minutes before Parks’ basket.

Jeep
07-24-2013, 10:40 PM
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ruffled-feathers-falcons-slam-refs-after-late-unsportsmanlike-foul-aids-archers-escape/2#comments_content

coach leo, pagpalagay nga nating baka judgment error yun and ire-review ng staff mo ang laro kung meron ngang basehan ang protesta. sa tingin ko iprotesta na ninyo yan. puntahan nyo na bukas na bukas si commish loyzaga at dala nyo na ang sulat na pine-place nyo ang game na'to under protest. kelangan na talagang itigil ang ganitong kabalbalan ng mga taga-sipol.

Jeep
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ruffled-feathers-falcons-slam-refs-after-late-unsportsmanlike-foul-aids-archers-escape/2#comments_content

coach leo, pagpalagay nga nating baka judgment error yun and ire-review ng staff mo ang laro kung meron ngang basehan ang protesta. sa tingin ko iprotesta na ninyo yan. puntahan nyo na bukas na bukas si commish loyzaga at dala nyo na ang sulat na pine-place nyo ang game na'to under protest. kelangan na talagang itigil ang ganitong kabalbalan ng mga taga-sipol.

Sam Miguel
07-25-2013, 08:41 AM
This time, free throws lift La Salle

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:04 pm | Wednesday, July 24th, 2013

THE FREE throws that doomed La Salle in recent meltdowns saved the Green Archers this time.

Jeron Teng and Norbert Torres canned five of six free throws inside the last 41 seconds as the Green Archers survived Adamson’s furious rally, 70-67, in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I’m still not satisfied with how we finished the game,” said La Salle coach Juno Sauler after the Archers blew a 15-point advantage, 65-50, in the last five minutes.

“We have to learn how to play for four quarters. We played good for three quarters, but in the end, we turned the ball over, gave second-chance opportunities to our opponents.”

The Green Archers spoiled the Falcons’ bid to stay in the top two with Santo Tomas grabbing solo second with a 4-2 record.

The Tigers, with Aljon Mariano and Clark Bautista taking over in the final quarter, held off the University of the Philippines Maroons, 79-69, in the first game.

The Archers and the Falcons wound up with similar 3-3 records like idle University of the East and National University.

Teng, who has been shooting miserably from the foul line, nailed two clutch free throws that gave the Archers the lead, 67-65, with 41.9 seconds left after the Falcons staged a 15-0 outburst that tied the game at 65.

“I’ve been really focused on improving my free throws,” said Teng.

Torres shot a couple more free throws with 15.9 ticks left off an unsportsmanlike foul slapped on Adamson’s Lloyd Abrigo.

“It wasn’t a foul, both players were jockeying for position,” a livid Adamson coach Leo Austria said of the controversial call that awarded the Archers two free throws plus possession in the dying seconds.

Torres finished with 13 points and Jason Perkins had 13 points and 13 boards for the Archers, who recovered from heartbreakers versus Far Eastern U and University of the East.

The scores:

First Game

UST 79–Mariano 18, Ferrer 16, Abdul 14, Bautista 12, Lo 9, So 4, Daquioag 4, Pe 2, Tan 0, Macasaet 0, Lao 0, Hainga 0, Faundo 0.

UP 69–Marata 16, Lao 9, Wong 7, Pascual 7, Ball 7, Ligad 6, Ginerich 5, Suarez 4, Harris 4, Asilum 4, Gallarza 0.

Quarters: 21-15, 35-31, 56-48, 79-69

Second Game

LA SALLE 70—N. Torres 13, Perkins 13, Teng 12, Vosotros 11, Van Opstal 10. Revilla 6, T. Torres 3, Dela Paz 2, Tampus 0, Salem 0, Bolick 0.

ADAMSON 67—Trollano 14, Cruz 13 Abrigo 10, Cabrera 9, Iņigo 7, Brondial 6, Sewa 5, Agustin 2, Julkipli 1, Rios 0, Petilos 0, Monteclaro 0.

Quarters: 18-7, 35-22, 55-42, 70-67

Sam Miguel
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Jeep, a protest will require a P100,000 deposit on the part of the protesting team. If their protest is upheld the game will be re-played. If it is turned down the league keeps the deposit.

Jeep
07-25-2013, 02:37 PM
not chump change by any means, sam, even for the ateneo. coach leo & co. will really have to work those tapes back and forth to make sure they have an airtight case. kahit si coach leo in his post-game interview wasn't too sure a protest would prosper. i guess i've just been blowing off steam since last night, seeing as it was that someone else and not the protagonists of this contest decided on its outcome. at the end of the day, we all just have to move on.

at least you can be sure from hereon, hindi na tatantanan ni hector ang lasal. ;)

Joescoundrel
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
^ Parekoy, ang tingin kong dapat pairalin dito ng Adamson ay ang kanilang pagiging host school. If a protest will not prosper then perhaps they should simply fire the errant referee, at least for the rest of the season. Bilang host school it is within their power to do this.

Jeep
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
parekoy, the commish has spoken, and has publicly apologized to the adamson community for the obvious error of ref. olivar. (the guy is no small-time barangay liga ref, per comm. loyzaga's letter -- international ref pa, which all the more places an even greater onus on his shoulders).

i believe a re-play is in order here. para na rin sa DLRT 'to, to show one and all that they can truly beat AdU fair and square (and not just because they have 3 extra sets of hands on the court). this happened some years ago, IIRC.

Joescoundrel
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Tams ward off Falcons, sweep elims

By Joey Villar

(The Philippine Star) | Updated July 29, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Terrence Romeo came through with another explosive performance as Far Eastern U survived a hard-fighting Adamson side, 74-71, to complete a sweep of the first round of the 76th UAAP men’s basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

Romeo sizzled for a game-best 26 points, including the last eight points that stymied the Falcons’ repeated comebacks and anchored the Morayta-based school’s best start since stringing seven straight triumphs to start the 2010 season.

“Yes, a first round sweep is an accomplishment,” said FEU coach Nash Racela. “But it’s the bigger picture we’re after because the season isn’t over.”

Meanwhile, the league takes a two-week break to give way to the FIBA-Asia Championship slated Aug 1-11 at the MOA Arena and Ninoy Aquino Stadium. Games will resume on Aug. 14 with La Salle and Adamson clashing at 2 p.m. and FEU battling NU at 4 p.m.

The solid start gave FEU a big three-win cushion over National U, UST and University of the East, which all ended up with 4-3 cards after the first phase of the elims, in the battle for one of the coveted twice-to-beat incentives in the Final Four.

NU gained a share of second by turning back La Salle in a scrambling finish, 63-56, in the other match.

Reigning back-to-back MVP Bobby Ray Parks Jr. came through with 20 points, 14 rebounds and six assists as the Bulldogs rebounded from back-to-back losses to stay in the hunt.

Still, the day belonged to Romeo.

After trailing majority of the way and by three, 58-61, midway in the final canto, FEU clamped down on defense to slow down the Falcons while Romeo stepped up to do what he does best – shoot the lights out of the Big Dome.

The streak shooting Romeo actually had a sluggish start, missing seven of his 11 attempts in the first half until he found his rhythm and range when the Tams needed them most.

“I was a little tight but I’m happy I got my rhythm back in the second half,” said Romeo, the league’s current MVP race leader.

The Falcons actually had one last chance to force overtime after FEU’s Mike Tolomia turned the ball over on a five-second violation with 15.9 seconds remaining in the contest.

But Ar-raouf Julkipli misfired on a desperation three-pointer, sending Adamson to 3-4 in a tie with La Salle and idle Ateneo with UP going winless in seven games.

Joescoundrel
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
NU ends FEU run; La Salle escapes in OT

By Jasmine W. Payo

1:29 am | Thursday, August 15th, 2013

National University ended Far Eastern University’s dream run with Bulldogs star Ray Parks, struggling from the field all game, clinching the win with three clutch free throws.

Parks finished with a career-low seven points but still emerged the hero as the Bulldogs prevailed, 59-58, and spoiled the Tamaraws’ bid to stay perfect in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I’m proud of my teammates for stepping up,” said Parks, a two-time MVP. “I wasn’t playing well but they picked me up.”

Parks nailed three free throws inside the last 32 seconds before FEU guard Mike Tolomia missed a potential game-winner in the dwindling seconds.

The Tamaraws still kept top spot at 7-1, while the Bulldogs grabbed solo second with a 5-2 record.

Almond Vosotros also starred in a first-game thriller by burying a “lucky shot” with 1.8 seconds left that lifted La Salle past Adamson, 70-69, in overtime.

Vosotros’ game-winner bounced off the rim four times before trickling in to give the Archers their fourth victory in eight games.

“This is our first close win,” said La Salle coach Juno Sauler. “It’s also good for the team.”

Vosotros shot a team-high 19 points, including five of the Archers’ eight in the extra period.

“It was really a lucky shot,” said Vosotros, the senior guard who also collected nine rebounds, five assists and two steals.

Gelo Alolino topscored for the Bulldogs with 13 and Emmanuel Mbe had 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Parks sat out for most of the first half after picking up two fouls in his first three minutes of play.

RR Garcia led the Tamaraws with 20 markers, but top MVP contender Terrence Romeo had a season-low of eight points on a woeful 3-of-16 shooting clip.

The scores:

First Game

LA SALLE 70–Vosotros 19, Van Opstal 13, Teng 9, Torres 8, Perkins 6, Revilla 5, Tampus 4, Salem 3, Monalbo 3, Reyes 0.

ADAMSON 69–Brondial 19, Cruz 15, Cabrera 11, Trollano 9, Petilos 6, Monteclaro 5, Sewa 2, Julkipli 1, Agustin 1, Rios 0, Ochea 0, Cabigas 0, Bernabe 0, Abrigo 0.

Quarters: 14-16, 34-30, 52-47, 62-62 (reg.), 70-69 (OT)

Second Game

NU 59–Alolino 13, Mbe 10, Khobuntin 10, Parks 7, Villamor 4, Roņo 4, Porter 4, Perez 4, Javillonar 2, Alejandro 1, Javelona 0, De Guzman 0.

FEU 58–Garcia 20, Tolomia 8, Romeo 8, Cruz, 6, Belo 5, Mendoza 4, Hargrove 3, Iņigo 2, Pogoy 2, Sentcheu 0, Jose 0, Dennison 0, Aguilon 0.

Quarters: 17-17, 31-25, 50-43, 59-58

Joescoundrel
08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Archers pin 2nd loss on tense Tams

Bulldogs feast on Falcons

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:01 pm | Sunday, August 18th, 2013

IT’S La Salle’s turn to show that first-round giant Far Eastern University no longer looks invincible.

Jason Perkins fueled a strong start and Jeron Teng came through the clutch as the Green Archers blasted the skidding Tamaraws, 75-66, yesterday in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

“I’ve been telling my players to be mentally tough and prepared,” said coach Juno Sauler after the Archers pinned a second straight loss on the Tamaraws, who have yet to win after a seven-game sweep of the first round.

Perkins fired 13 of his 18 points in the first half where the Archers pulled ahead by as many as 22 points, 43-21. The Filipino-American rookie also grabbed 13 rebounds.

Earlier, National University cruised past Adamson, 80-48, and moved within striking distance of the top spot with a 6-3 record, just a game away from the Tamaraws.

Emmanuel Mbe and Ray Parks powered the Bulldogs’ dominant start where they zoomed to a 21-7 lead and never looked back.

The Archers crashed the top four with a 5-4 card, while the Falcons fell to 3-6.

Teng added 16 points, including six in the last six minutes that helped protect the Archers’ lead, 71-62, after the Tamaraws had rallied within a bucket, 62-60, behind Mark Belo.

“We’ve talked about the mistakes we committed in the first round and we made sure to learn from them,” said Teng after the Archers avenged their first-round heartbreak to the Tamaraws in overtime, 79-83, after blowing a 13-point lead in the last three minutes of regulation.

Top MVP contender Terrence Romeo, who shot a season-low eight points in the Tamaraws’ 58-59 loss to the Bulldogs last Wednesday, struggled anew with 12 on a 4-of-18 shooting clip.

Mbe collected 21 points, 10 rebounds and four steals, while Parks also had a solid outing of 16 points, six boards and five assists.

“It all boiled down to our stops,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “Fortunately for this team, we were able to run. We were able to get shots off our transition. That really helped us.”

The Bulldogs overwhelmed the Falcons in every department, including rebounds (41-30), fastbreak points (23-3) and points off turnover (20-8 ).

“I’m very proud of the boys,” said Altamirano. “They executed the game plan very well.”

The scores:

First Game

NU 80—Mbe 21, Parks 16, Roņo 8, Porter 6, Javillonar 6, Alolino 6, Rosario 5, Khobuntin 4, Neypes 3, Javelona 3, Villamor 2, Perez 0, Labing-isa 0.

ADAMSON 48—Cabrera 12, Cruz 11, Sewa 8, Petilos 5, Brondial 5, Garcia 2, Agustin 2, Abrigo 2, Monteclaro 1, Trollano 0, Rios 0, Ochea 0, Julkipli 0, Iņigo 0.

Quarters: 21-7, 37-25, 55-40, 80-48

Second Game

LA SALLE 75—Perkins 18, Teng 16, Vosotros 13, Van Opstal 9, Salem 6, Montalbo 5, Torres 4, Tampus 4, Revilla 0, Bolick 0.

FEU 66—Pogoy 16, Belo 16, Romeo 12, Tolomia 7, Hargrove 6, Garcia 5, Cruz 4, Iņigo 0, Sentcheu 0, Mendoza 0, Jose 0, Dennison 0.

Quarters: 23-14, 44-33, 60-50, 75-66

JBSO
08-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Ask lng ha..hindi ba nairita c coach sa mga cksc-asungots ikot ikot n nakikialam pag timeouts, yun isa dun panay complained n clarified sa ref , isa naman mas madalas pa tayo keysa legitimate assistants jing Ruiz n captain marvel duremdes. para mapansin lng sila sa camera,ipaalam kasama sila dun,hihihi hi...panuorin nyo pag may game adamson uli.

Sam Miguel
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Eagles clip Falcons, climb to fifth spot

Posted on Sunday Aug 25th at 5:27pm

By Aldo Avinante

MANILA, Philippines --After a gloomy start, the Ateneo Blue Eagles are back in the hunt for a six-peat.

The Eagles took their fifth win in the last six games staving off a furious fourth quarter rally from the Adamson Falcons to hack out a 79-66 victory in the 76th season of the UAAP men's basketball tourney at the Smart Araneta Coliseum Sunday.

Kiefer Ravena and Ryan Buenafe starred for the Blue Eagles chipping 18 points apiece to improve their record 5-4 win-loss card and moved closer to the top four teams.

"When Adamson made a huge run in the fourth quarter, I was holding on to my timeout because I wanted them to experience those kind of situations and see how they would react," said Ateneo coach Bo Perasol.

"I have to commend the boys because they stepped up and we won but we're still behind in the standings so this win was important to us," he added.

Ateneo started the second half strong with a whopping 14-1 run capped by a Buenafe runner at the 5:09 markto take a 47-28 lead.

The Blue Eagles kept on pounding on the hapless Falcons and took a huge 57-32 lead entering the payoff period, outscoring their counterparts 24-6 in the third quarter.

Adamson responded in a big way midway of the fourth canto with a blistering 19-0 blast to cut the deficit down 59-51 after Ingrid Sewa completed a 3-point play.

Ravena though had other things in mind and scored eight of the next 12 points for the Blue Eagles to give them their composure back and extend their lead 71-59 with 2:55 remaining.

Buenafe virtually knocked the wind out of the Falcons flickering hopes with a back-breaking three-pointer to beat the shot clock buzzer giving Ateneo a comfortable 74-61 advantage with 1:56 remaining.

"Adamson is a very capable team they showed it especially in the fourth quarter if not for the 20 point lead it would've been a different story," said Ravena.

"I have to commend my teammates because they did the little things pero mali yung nag relax kami sa huli we have to take away that habit," he added.

Adamson fell short of their furious rally and committed crucial turnovers down the stretch to bow out but not with a gallant effort dropping to 3-7 ahead of cellar dweller UP.

Ingrid Sewa led the Falcons with 17 points while Jansen Rios, Rodney Brondial and Jericho Cruz scored 14 points each.

Ateneo used a balance scoring effort in the first half with nine player contributing to take a 33-26 at the break.

Sam Miguel
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Ask lng ha..hindi ba nairita c coach sa mga cksc-asungots ikot ikot n nakikialam pag timeouts, yun isa dun panay complained n clarified sa ref , isa naman mas madalas pa tayo keysa legitimate assistants jing Ruiz n captain marvel duremdes. para mapansin lng sila sa camera,ipaalam kasama sila dun,hihihi hi...panuorin nyo pag may game adamson uli.

Aren't those Chiang Kai Shek guys part of the Adamson team management?

JBSO
08-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Well..dunno lang.,pero ang alam ko same big sponsor ang cksc n adamson c boss edward. Kaya nakapasok yun 3 croaches este coaches. Pansinin mu yun kilos nun 3 pag may game. Hihihi hi

Sam Miguel
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Awesome Eagles destroy Tams

By Jasmine W. Payo

1:00 am | Thursday, August 29th, 2013

Ateneo has turned from a struggling defending champion to a dangerous contender yet again.

A sizzling Ateneo squad broke loose early and the Blue Eagles went on to overwhelm the Far Eastern Tamaraws, 92-73, for their fifth straight victory in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Juami Tiongson and Kiefer Ravena fueled a dominant start where the Eagles shot nearly 60 percent from the field in the first half and built a 23-point spread, 51-28, at the break.

The surprise blowout win pushed Ateneo to a share of third with arch rival La Salle at 6-4, a huge turnaround from a 0-3 start in its bid for a sixth straight crown.

“The kind of winning mentality that Ateneo had in previous years is coming into play now,” said Ateneo coach Bo Perasol. “I believe that’s what’s happening, and of course, there’s our emphasis on making stops.”

In the second game, University of Santo Tomas arrested a three-game slide with an 80-67 blasting of Adamson.

Karim Abdul collected 19 points, 12 rebounds and four blocks while Ed Daquioag and Aljon Mariano sparked the Tigers’ pivotal fourth-quarter breakaway.

“This season has been disappointing because we have so many injuries,” said coach Pido Jarencio as his Tigers remained in sixth place with a 5-5 record.

UST top gunner Jeric Teng, who sat out anew due to a latest injury on his hamstring, had been listed as “day-to-day.”

Tiongson drilled 20 points built on a 7-of-10 shooting clip and Ravena added 18 points, nine boards and five assists to lead the Eagles, who spoiled the Tamaraws’ bid to secure at least a playoff for a Final Four slot.

“The significance of this win is that now we’re in the top four,” said Perasol, who still called the shots despite a recent kidney stone surgery.

The scores:

First Game

ATENEO 92—Tiongson 20, Ravena 18, Newsome 11, Tolentino 9, Golla 9, Buenafe 9, Pessumal 5, Elorde 5, Capacio 4, Erram 2, Murphy 0, Enriquez 0, Asuncion 0, Asistio 0.

FEU 73—Romeo 19, Garcia 11, Tolomia 9, Pogoy 9, Hargrove 6, Belo 6, Jose 5, Iņigo 3, Cruz 3, Lee Yu 2, Sentcheu 0, Mendoza 0, Luz 0, Dennison 0, Delfinado 0, Aguilon 0.

Quarters: 26-11, 51-28, 73-45, 92-73

Second Game

UST 80—Abdul 19, Daquioag 17, Mariano 16, Lo 8, Ferrer 8, Bautista 6, Sheriff 4, Hainga 2, Pe 0.

ADAMSON 67—Brondial 15, Cruz 13, Trollano 12, Rios 12, Sewa 6, Cabrera 5, Monteclaro 2, Iņigo 2, Petilos 0, Julkipli 0, Agustin 0, Abrigo 0.

Quarters: 15-18, 31-30, 51-47, 80-67

Hoopstar
08-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Sa totoo lang, ys. I also noticed those coaches. Medyo off-line nga kung kumilos. They just do not leave the instructions with Coach Leo. They go talking to the players during timeouts. I just hope hindi malito yung mga players. Medyo eyesore kasi. I wonder who those short assistant coaches are???

Joescoundrel
09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Tams clinch Final 4 slot; Tigers strike

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:15 am | Sunday, September 8th, 2013

REGAINING his fiery form, Terrence Romeo erupted for a season-best 32 points as Far Eastern University drubbed Adamson, 92-80, yesterday to barge into the Final Four of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

Romeo got off to a sizzling start, dropping 19 points in the first two quarters before Mac Belo and RR Garcia starred in a strong finish that sent the Tamaraws to their ninth victory in 13 games

“We’re not relieved because we know our job isn’t over,” said coach Nash Racela after his Tamaraws joined National University (9-3) in the semifinals.

“Our initial goal was just to make it to the Final Four. It’s within our reach and all we had to do was get it. Today, we made a major step toward our eventual goal.”

Belo poured in 18 points, including seven straight to spark a 19-5 outburst that gave the Tamaraws an 18-point spread in the third period, 63-45, after a narrow 44-40 halftime lead.

Earlier, Aljon Mariano fueled a second-half breakaway as University of Santo Tomas roared to a 63-39 rout of a poor-shooting University of the Philippines.

Mariano finished with a double-double of 18 points, 12 coming in the second half, and 10 rebounds in the win that gave the Tigers solo fourth at 7-5.

“We still have a long way to go so we can’t relax,” coach Pido Jarencio said of his Tigers, who are tightly battling for the remaining two semifinal slots with La Salle, Ateneo and University of the East.

Romeo, one of only four players in the last 10 years to score multiple 30-point games in a season, also grabbed eight rebounds and dished out four assists.

“I’ve been shooting badly in the last two games, so I really did some extra shooting in practice,” said Romeo, one of the leading MVP candidates this season.

The scores:

First Game

UST 63—Mariano 18, Ferrer 12, Teng 9, Daquioag 9, Abdul 7, Bautista 3, Pe 2, Faundo 2, Lao 1, Tan 0, Sheriff 0, Lo 0, Hainga 0.

UP 39—Marata 12, Lao 6, Soyud 5, Ball 5, Wong 2, Suarez 2, Gallarza 2, Desiderio 2, Asilum 2, Harris 1, Pascual 0. Paras 0, Gingerich 0, Amar 0.

Quarters: 14-13, 23-20, 40-33, 63-39

Second Game

FEU 92—Romeo 32, Belo 18, Garcia 14, Cruz 8, Mendoza 7, Tolomia 5, Sentcheu 2, Pogoy 2, Lee Yu 2, Jose 2, Iņigo 0, Luz 0, Dennison 0, Delfinado 0, Aguilon 0.

ADAMSON 80—Trollano 25, Cruz 13, Rios 11, Brondial 9, Iņigo 7, Sewa 6, Petilos 3, Cabrera 3, Cabigas 2, Monteclaro 1, Ochea 0, Julkipli 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 21-23, 44-40, 67-55, 92-80

Joescoundrel
09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Archers repulse Tigers

La Salle forges playoff for No. 2 spot vs FEU

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:53 pm | Saturday, September 14th, 2013

LA SALLE pulled off a surprise second-round sweep to earn a shot at the last semifinal bonus in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Drawing another clutch outing from Jeron Teng, the Green Archers downed the University of Santo Tomas Tigers, 69-64, to wrap up their elimination run at 10-4 and forge a winner-take-all match for the twice-to-beat advantage against Far Eastern University.

“We never thought of it,” coach Juno Sauler said of the Archers’ perfect 7-0 run in the second half of the eliminations. “There wasn’t really any adjustment. It’s what we did right from the start. It just took time working on what we need to work on.”

The Archers wound up in a three-way tie on top with National University and FEU, but the Bulldogs clinched the No. 1 spot and the first semifinal bonus due to a superior quotient.

Teng unloaded 19 points, the last four inside the final 54.2 seconds that helped the Archers quell the Tigers’ late surge.

UST fell into a share of fourth place with idle Ateneo at 7-6 and the two squads, both finalists last season, will dispute the last Final Four berth on the last day of eliminations on Wednesday. The winner will advance against the Bulldogs in the semifinals.

The Archers and the Tamaraws will clash in the other semifinal duel, making their playoff for the Final Four bonus next weekend a start of a virtual best-of-three duel.

Teng finished with a double-double by also grabbing 11 boards, while Norbert Torres came out big with 14 points and 13 rebounds.

Earlier, University of the East snapped a four-game losing skid with a 77-60 drubbing of Adamson in a battle of eliminated teams.

Juniors action

In juniors action, the NU Bullpups clinched an outright championship slot after completing a 14-0 elimination sweep as Ateneo’s Thirdy Ravena bagged the Most Valuable Player award.

John Cauilan (23 points, 13 rebounds), Hubert Cani (21 points, 6 assists) and Mark Dyke (18 points, 20 rebounds) led the Bullpups past the Blue Eaglets, 82-81, in overtime.

The Eaglets finished with a second-best 11-3 card and will hold a twice-to-beat edge in the stepladder semifinals.

Ravena bagged the top individual plum after amassing 79.57 statistical points (SPs) with averages of 18.7 points, 11.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists.

Cheerdance up
Meanwhile, the league takes a break from basketball action as the cheerdance competition gets going today at Mall of Asia Arena.

University of the Philippines will vie for a fourth straight crown in the blockbuster event where FEU, NU and UST have also been tagged as favorites.

NU hopes to finally nail the top plum after an overhaul of its program this season.

“That’s our mission, to join the best of this 19-year-old cheerdance league,” said NU assistant coach Gabby Bajacan.

The scores:

First Game

UE 77–Mammie 24, Galanza 17, Olivares 11, Casajeros 8, Alberto 7, Jumao-as 6, Santos 2, Noble 2, Pujante 0, Javier 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0.

ADAMSON 60–Trollano 15, Monteclaro 10, Iņigo 6, Cabrera 6, Brondial 6, Agustin 6, Cruz 5, Sewa 3, Petilos 2, Abrigo 1, Garcia 0, Cabigas 0.

Quarters: 11-13, 43-38, 62-55, 77-60

Second Game

LA SALLE 69–Teng 19, N. Torres 14, Vosotros 11, Perkins 7, Van Opstal 6, Revilla 6, T. Torres 3, Salem 3, Reyes 0, Montalbo 0, Dela Paz 0.

UST 64–Abdul 18, Mariano 16, Teng 10, Bautista 6, Sheriff 5, Ferrer 5, Lo 2, Daquioag 2, Pe 0, Faundo 0.
Quarters: 15-13, 39-30, 53-45, 69-64

red_engr1987
09-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Mammie's sterling game carries UE over Adamson

Olmin Leyba | Updated Saturday September 14, 2013 - 6:03pm

0 0 Google +0 0

MANILA, Philippines – Charles Mammie dished out a monster performance while seldom-used Bong Galanza filled in for injured Roi Sumang as University of the East tripped Adamson, 77-60, Saturday in the UAAP Season 76 men's basketball tourney at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Mammie banged in 24 points and hauled down 24 rebounds while Galanza stepped up with 17 markers, spiked by three triples, as the duo led the Warriors' break-away in the fourth canto of the game featuring two ousted squads just battling for pride.

The Warriors snapped a four-game slide and picked up their sixth win in 13 games while the Falcons absorbed their second straight loss for 4-10 overall in what's likely to be the coach Leo Austria's farewell game with AdU.

"It's been a month of struggle for us. This win is important because it not only put us back on track but also enabled us to get back at Adamson, which beat us in the first round," said UE coach Boycie Zamar in Filipino.

The Warriors suffered a spate of misfortunes in the last 30 days, missing Mammie, Ralf Olivares, and Lord Casajeros on suspensions in crucial matches that stymied their bid for a Final Four.

UE finally kissed its semis aspirations goodbye when it lost to Ateneo last Sunday, 72-77, a game that later led to some boardroom debates due to the presence of suspended Ateneo coach Bo Perasol and banned UE player Olivares in the venue.

Warriors ace Sumang suffered a strained right calf muscle in that game. He came in uniform Sunday but Zamar decided to give him a rest.

"He can play but we don't want to risk aggravation. Somebody has to fill his shoes and fortunately Galanza was there, as well as Ralf (Olivares), (Lord) Casajeros, it was really a collective effort," said Zamar.

Olivares, back after a two-game suspension, added 11 markers while Casajeros chipped in eight.

Celedonio Trollano shot 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for AdU, which sent off graduating players Michael Agustin, Eric Cabigas, Rodney Brondial, Harry Petilos, Roider Cabrera, and Gian Abrigo.

Austria is possibly in this list as he had already expressed his intention to leave after this season. Austria had piled a record of 40-61 in seven seasons as AdU coach and steered the Falcons to three Final Four appearances.

"Right now I'm really sure (about not returning) and I think I deserve to take a break," said Austria, whose contract with ADU expires next month. "And there's no indication that they want me back; nobody's talking to me regarding my stint with Adamson. Maybe it's an indication that they want change."

The Scores:

UE 77 - Mammie 24, Galanza 17, Olivares 11, Casajeros 8, Alberto 7, Jumao-as 6, Santos 2, Noble 2, Pujante 0, Javier 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0.

AdU 60 - Trollano 15, Monteclaro 10, Inigo 6, Cabrera 6, Brondial 6, Agustin 6, Cruz 5, Sewa 3, Petilos 2, Abrigo 1, Garcia 0, Cabigas 0.

QuarterscoresL 11-13, 43-38, 62-55, 77-60.

red_engr1987
09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
SUMANG-LESS UE GETS VICTORY OVER ADAMSON
By Kali Quiņones Published: Sep/14/2013 4:28 PM PHT

MANILA -- The UE Red Warriors bucked the absence of team leader Roi Sumang to register a 77-60 win over the Adamson Falcons on Saturday's UAAP basketball action at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Led by the 24 points and 24 rebounds of Charles Mammie, the Red Warriors dominated this year's hosts as seldom used Bong Galanza poured in 17 points for the Boycie Zamar-coached squad.

"Yung character ng team andun this time," said Zamar, whose team led in almost all statistical categories.

The Warriors shot 39.5% from the field, outrebounded the Falcons 50-46, and had more assists 16-12. UE improved their record to 6-7 with the victory.

Zamar admitted that Sumang could have played the game but he opted not to use the cager, who is still recovering from a right knee strain that he sustained in their last game.

"He can play. But somebody had to play his shoes. Andyan naman si Galanza, (Ralf) Oliveros at (Lord) Casajeros. It was a collective effort," relayed the Red Warriors mentor.

UE used a solid fourth quarter to draw distance from the Falcons, who ended their Season 76 campaign with a 4-10 mark. They did little improvement as they can only better their Season 75 record of 3-11.

Celedonio Trollano paced Adamson with his own double-double of 15 points and 12 boards. While Ryan Monteclaro was the only other Adamson player, who came up in double-digit scoring with his 10 markers.

The match was believed to be Falcons head coach Leo Austria's last game for the San Marcelino-based squad.

The Red Warriors will wind up their season on Wednesday against the UP Fighting Maroons at the SMART-Araneta Coliseum.

http://www.solarsportsdesk.ph/bk/bkn...y-over-adamson

Sam Miguel
09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Adamson great Duremdes gets head-coaching job as Austria 'takes a break'

September 20, 2013, 11:31 am

KENNETH Duremdes will take over as head coach of Adamson replacing Leo Austria, who decided not to renew his contract with the Falcons.

Team manager Gilbert Cruz confirmed the choice of the former PBA Most Valuable Player as the Falcons' new head coach to take over from Austria, who formally expressed his intention not to return to the Falcons bench earlier this week.

[For full story, see Falcons coach ready to fly the coop as Adamson yet to make contract offer]

“He (Austria) wants to take a rest and give Adamson a free hand in selecting a new coach,” said Cruz of Austria, who is also coach of San Miguel Beer in the ABL and an assistant coach at PBA ballclub Petron.

Cruz said that selecting Duremdes as the team’s new coach was an easy decision considering he is one of the greats in Philippine basketball and played for the Falcons in the early 1990s.

“He is one of the most decorated players at Adamson,” said Cruz.

Duremdes, who was one of Austria’s deputies at Adamson this season, was part of the last Falcons team that reached the Finals in 1992 along with giants Marlou Aquino, Edward Joseph Feihl, Giovanni Pineda, and Gerry Hipolito. They were swept in two games by the FEU Tamaraws bannered by the great Johnny Abarrientos

The Marbel, South Cotabato native went on to play in the pro league, where he won the MVP award with Alaska in 1998 and was named one of the PBA's 25 Greatest Players.

Duremdes held the Coke coaching job briefly in the pro league before being named team manager and later assistant coach of the now-defunct Powerade under head coach Bo Perasol.

His appointment is set to be made official in the coming days.

Cruz said that Adamson is still open to Austria returning in any capacity.

“We told him that the door is always open for coach Leo returning to Adamson,” Cruz said.

Sam Miguel
09-20-2013, 03:36 PM
A coach who is actually still playing competitive ball, not bad Adamson...

Duremdes’ freethrows help Mighty Sports in Espiritu Cup

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

9:56 am | Friday, September 20th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines – Mighty Sports withstood Sealions’ late rally for a 107-100 win Wednesday in the 2013 Danny Espiritu Cup basketball tournament at Reyes Gym in Mandaluyong.

Mighty Sports allowed Sealions to score 26 points in a span of six minutes in the payoff period, which trimmed its 17-point lead down to four with 42 ticks left.

But PBA legend Kenneth Duremdes, who had 12 points and nine rebounds for Mighty Sports, came through down the stretch with clutch free throws to keep Sealions at bay.

A skirmish even broke out with seven minutes to play which led to the ejection of another PBA veteran Marlou Aquino and Jam Alfad.

Niņo Marquez led Mighty Sports, which improved to 2-2, with 22 points including five triples. Edrick Ferrer, who also had crucial FTs, added 20 points.

Meanwhile, undermanned Naughty Needlez finally got its first win in the tournament named after the famous sports agent as it nipped Expert Global Solutions, 69-60.

Vaughn Canta chipped 14 points while James Martinez, Raymond Aguilar and Elvis Tolentino each added 12.

Sealions reeled to its second straight setback for a 3-2 slate while EGS dropped its fourth assignment.

The scores:

First Game

Mighty 107 – Marquez 22, Ferrer 20, Celiz 15, Duremdes 12, Sabelina 11, Francisco 7, Colina 7, Acibar 5, Gamboa 3, Dimaunahan 3, Aquino 2, Evangelista 0, Lozada 0.

Sealions 100 — Zagala 20, Billones 19, Asoro 16, Malabanan 16, Raymundo 10, Junio 5, Garrido 4, Martinez 4, Mabigat 3, Solis 2, Alao 1, Alfad 0, Ricafuente 0.Quarters: 24-17, 48-37, 78-63, 107-100.

Second Game

Naughty Needlez 69 – Canta 14, Tolentino 12, Aguilar 12, Martinez 12, Taupa 9, Garcia 5, Zapata 3, Espinosa 2.

EGS 60 – Catamora 16, Arias 13, Ranises 9, Caspe 8, Roda 6, Valena 2, Siqua 2, Kalawa 2, Feliciano 2, Melano 0, McCoy 0.

Quarters: 17-10, 32-25, 54-42, 69-60.

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
King Falcon Cruz living a dream as he savors inclusion in SEAG-bound team

November 8, 2013, 05:40 pm

IT was one memorable day for Jericho Cruz.

Moments after his Blackwater Sports team notched its second straight win in the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup, the 23-year-old Cruz found another reason to celebrate upon learning he was tapped to play for the national cage team bound for the 2013 Southeast Asian Games in Myanmar.

“Sobrang excited. Panalo kami tapos narinig ko pa sa iyo ‘yun (na nasa SEA Games ako),” Cruz said when informed by Spin.ph of the good news that he made it to the SEA Games roster.

They Said It!

“Parang dream ko lang ‘yun dati. Pagdating ko lang dito, gusto ko maglaro rin sa Team Pilipinas whether amateur or kung ano man, basta may nakalagay lang dito na Pilipinas (points to shirt)." - Adamson's Jericho Cruz

Playing for the national team is actually nothing new for Cruz, the Philippine-born player having played for Northern Marianas in past Oceania tournaments.

But for the Adamson swingman, wearing the country’s color is a dream come true.

“Siyempre parang dream ko lang ‘yun dati. Pagdating ko lang dito, gusto ko maglaro rin sa Team Pilipinas whether amateur or kung ano man, basta may nakalagay lang dito na Pilipinas,” said Cruz, while pointing to the front of his shirt.

“Masaya ako na magiging part ako dun,” said Cruz.

The King Falcon will join naturalized player Marcus Douthit, Kevin Alas, Ronald Pascual, Jake Pascual, Garvo Lanete, Matt Ganuelas, Bobby Ray Parks, Kiefer Ravena, Kevin Ferrer, Prince Caperal, and Rey Mark Belo in the December 8 to 16 competitions at the Naypidaw, Myanmar.

The country is seeking to extends its dominance in the event, having won the gold medal in all but one staging of the biennial meet (1989) since it began competing in the SEA Games in 1977.

Aware the team is loaded with collegiate stars, Cruz said he will do his best to perform the task to be given him by coach Jong Uichico and his staff.

“Siyempre, kapag nandoon na ako, ibibigay ko ‘yung best ko. Kahit hindi ako magamit, gagawin ko lahat,” he said.

Cruz said the SEA Games experience will be also very big for his collegiate career when he returns to the Falcons in next year’s UAAP season.

“Siyempre, malaki para sa basketball career ko ‘yung SEA Games. Pagbalik ko sa UAAP, madadala ko ‘yung kumpiyansa na ‘yun being part of the national team,” said Cruz.

bchoter
11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
^ One of the nicest players in the UAAP. Happy for him

Joescoundrel
01-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Adamson Falcons drop center Sewa, cite 'repeated violations' of team rules

January 23, 2014, 05:47 pm

The loss of the 6-foot-9 Ingrid Sewa leaves a huge hole in the center position for the rebuilding Adamson Falcons.

CAMEROONIAN center Ingrid Sewa has been scratched from the Adamson Falcons men’s basketball lineup over what officials said were repeated violations of team rules.

Falcons team manager Gilbert Cruz said Sewa was no longer part of the team’s pool of players since earlier this month as he detailed a list of infractions the Falcons slotman had committed.

These included seeing action in a ‘ligang labas’ in Marikina and playing in a basketball game during the birthday of Filipino boxing superstar and Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao, he added.

Cruz said the team had consulted the UAAP board regarding Sewa’s situation, although the Falcons felt they have had enough of Sewa’s rules infractions.

Another source, however, said Sewa had left the team and returned to his country even before the team made the decision to drop him from the roster.

“It reached a point that we decided to sit him out,” said Cruz. “Medyo reluctant siya sa sistema ngayon. Hindi na namin nagustuhan kasi may mga team rules na kailangang sundin.”

Adamson made changes to the coaching staff after the Falcons wound up with a 4-10 win-loss card in Season 76. The university tapped former King Falcon and PBA Most Valuable Player Kenneth Duremdes as coach.

Former coach Leo Austria, whose contract was not renewed after several quarters in the school community expressed dissatisfaction with his performance in Season 76, was the one who recruited Sewa.

The Cameroonian big man averaged 9.4 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks in his first and only season with the Falcons last year.

Joescoundrel
01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Sewa left Falcons out of loyalty to former coach Austria, says Adamson official

January 27, 2014, 05:50 pm

INGRID Sewa left the Adamson Falcons out of loyalty to former head coach Leo Austria, and not due to team rules he allegedly violated.

An Adamson official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue, denied that repeated violation of team rules was the reason for Sewa's departure.

Earlier, Adamson team manager Gilbert Cruz told Spin.ph that the Cameroonian center was dropped from the lineup due to a number of violations including playing in other basketball leagues or so called 'ligang labas.'

But an Adamson official came to the defense of Sewa, saying that he had already indicated that he won’t be playing for the school if Austria leaves the team.

“He had said even before that if coach Leo moves, he won’t be staying,” said the official, who had talked with Sewa after Spin.ph posted a story on the dropping of the Cameroonian big man.

“No one never dropped me in Adamson,” the official quoted Sewa as saying.

Austria was instrumental in the recruitment of Sewa, who had to undergo the two-year residency for foreigners before playing for the Falcons in Season 76.

Sewa averaged 9.4 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks in Season 76 for the Falcons, who only ended up at 4-10 win-loss that year.

That turned out to be the final year of Austria coaching the Falcons, having mentioned that there were several quarters in the Adamson community that wanted him out after missing the Final Four for the second consecutive year.

The official also denied rumors circulating that Sewa had a rift with current Adamson head coach Kenneth Duremdes, saying he is not the kind of person that will do such act.

“He told me that he never quarreled with any coach. He is a good person,” said the official.

Sewa’s absence leaves a big hole for the Falcons in the coming UAAP season with another big man Rodney Brondial having finished his college eligibility.