PDA

View Full Version : UE RED WARRIORS SEASON 76

red_engr1987
01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
2006 Season 69 : 3rd Place lost twice to UST in the F4 (Coach Dindo Pumaren)
2007 Season 70 : 2nd Place 14-0 elimination round and lost 0-2 against DLSU (Coach Dindo Pumaren)
2008 Season 71 : 4th Place lost to ADMU in the F4 (Coach Dindo Pumaren)
2009 Season 72 : 2nd Place beat FEU twice in the F4 and lost to ADMU in Game 3 Finals (Coach Lawrence)
2010 Season 73 : 6th Place missed the F4 (Coach Lawrence)
2011 Season 74 : 7th Place missed the F4 (Coach Jerry)
2012 Season 75 : 7th Place missed the F4 (Coach Jerry-1st round, Coach Boycie-2nd round)

2013 Season 76 : My FEARLESS FORECAST ......the return of UE RED WARRIORS in the Final 4

gensankid
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Sino mga bago natin ngayon? Sino mawala?

Sam Miguel
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
^^^ GensanKid, I don't think UE lost anybody of note aside from Gene Belleza.

Returning next season will be 6-foot-3 forward John Noble, 6-foot-1 swingman Lord Casajeros and 6-foot-5 forward-center RR De Leon. All of these guys were sent to the doghouse by Jerry Codinera, who of course lost his job as head coach for this and other brilliant roster moves.

Totally new guys will be 6-foot-7 center Charles Mamie out of wartorn Sierra Leone, formerly with Arellano, 6-foot-2 swingman Ralph Olivares, who suffered an ACL injury that prevented him being lined up this season already, 6-foot-1 swingman Gino Jumao-as, the former San Sebastian Staglet by way of FEU's Team B, and two or three other guys who will take up space at the end of Boysie Zamar's bench.

For scouting reports on all of these guys, I suggest you catch up on the UE Team B thread herein.

My personal view is that the UE Red Warriors will be a much stronger team next year, certainly Final 4 calibre. But they have to play as a team and not rely on one or two guys to play well and carry the team. Having Roi Sumang and Mamie on the same side will be a huge advantage, since I think Sumang is the UAAP's best pointguard while Mamie should be at least the second-best center in the UAAP by Season 76.

Mamie might have difficulty only against Karim Abdul of UST, but Karim is easily an inch and a half shorter and maybe 20 pounds lighter than Mamie, and certainly Mamie has quicker feet and better springs than Adbul. Abdul however is clearly the more skilled player, and this is where Mamie needs to improve. Anything other than a layup or dunk is difficult for Mamie, so when defenses overplay him he is prone to throwing the ball away or holding onto it too long, or simply trying to make too many moves. If he just lets Sumang get the ball to him on drive-draws, pick-rolls and the occasional alley-hoops he will be a statistical beast.

Sumang will now have an elite-level big man (at least in terms of size, strength and athletic ability, if not necessarily skill) to patrol the paint, tend the boards and receive dump passes. He will also have Casajeros and Juamo-as helping break down defenses with their shooting and driving, and advance the ball and defend the perimeter.

Ivan Hernandez, Adi Santos, Chris Javier, JR Sumido, Dan Alberto and RP Youth mainstay Jay Olayon make up at least an above-average bench.

Joescoundrel
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
^ Sana lang ganado ng 100% maglaro si Mamie. Arellano let him go because he developed a bad habit: asking for more money if Arellano wanted him to give 100% effort.

When Arellano let him go he wound up playing as an import in those small town tournaments in Cebu. In one of those tournaments dun siya nakalaro ni Jerry Codinera. At that time Codinera was still UE head coach. Long story short, inareglo ng UE ang papeles ni Mamie with Arellano para makuha na ang Aprikano.

In the Fr Martin games I've seen him he is indeed a physical specimen, but still not that skilled, especially at the freethrow line. No doubt however that he will be a huge difference-maker for UE in Season 76. Manalangin na lang ang UE na hindi toyoin si Mamie at manghingi ng dagdag-pera pagdating ng UAAP. I would assume however that Mamie has learned his lesson from what happened with him in Arellano. Arellano for its part was still Ok enough to at least give him his release instead of holding him back just to teach him a lesson.

bchoter
01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
One thing I notices woth Mammie is he slacks off on defense. And when he puts up an effort, hos defense is Kamikaze at best. The older but wilier JRU (not sure) import schooled him in the finer points of playing in the low block, making Mammie look silly with alight head fakes,, stutter steps and pull ups. Mammie somehow made up for this with athleticism and strength but was clearly frustrated

gensankid
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
^^^ GensanKid, I don't think UE lost anybody of note aside from Gene Belleza.

Returning next season will be 6-foot-3 forward John Noble, 6-foot-1 swingman Lord Casajeros and 6-foot-5 forward-center RR De Leon. All of these guys were sent to the doghouse by Jerry Codinera, who of course lost his job as head coach for this and other brilliant roster moves.

Totally new guys will be 6-foot-7 center Charles Mamie out of wartorn Sierra Leone, formerly with Arellano, 6-foot-2 swingman Ralph Olivares, who suffered an ACL injury that prevented him being lined up this season already, 6-foot-1 swingman Gino Jumao-as, the former San Sebastian Staglet by way of FEU's Team B, and two or three other guys who will take up space at the end of Boysie Zamar's bench.

For scouting reports on all of these guys, I suggest you catch up on the UE Team B thread herein.

My personal view is that the UE Red Warriors will be a much stronger team next year, certainly Final 4 calibre. But they have to play as a team and not rely on one or two guys to play well and carry the team. Having Roi Sumang and Mamie on the same side will be a huge advantage, since I think Sumang is the UAAP's best pointguard while Mamie should be at least the second-best center in the UAAP by Season 76.

Mamie might have difficulty only against Karim Abdul of UST, but Karim is easily an inch and a half shorter and maybe 20 pounds lighter than Mamie, and certainly Mamie has quicker feet and better springs than Adbul. Abdul however is clearly the more skilled player, and this is where Mamie needs to improve. Anything other than a layup or dunk is difficult for Mamie, so when defenses overplay him he is prone to throwing the ball away or holding onto it too long, or simply trying to make too many moves. If he just lets Sumang get the ball to him on drive-draws, pick-rolls and the occasional alley-hoops he will be a statistical beast.

Sumang will now have an elite-level big man (at least in terms of size, strength and athletic ability, if not necessarily skill) to patrol the paint, tend the boards and receive dump passes. He will also have Casajeros and Juamo-as helping break down defenses with their shooting and driving, and advance the ball and defend the perimeter.

Ivan Hernandez, Adi Santos, Chris Javier, JR Sumido, Dan Alberto and RP Youth mainstay Jay Olayon make up at least an above-average bench.

Thanks for the info sir, any news about Marion Bonleon Jr. and Rey Nambatac?

Sam Miguel
01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Mar Bonleon is happily with you guys now, as is his loveable dad, Nonoy.

Rey Nambatac is still hoping against hope to get a good offer from a school that loves to throw money away. If it were just up to me I'd tell Nambatac to go f--- himself. Honestly I don't think he'll be a college star, and this is certainly not worth star money.

He's just another player, hard to even say if he has a college position, because at his size of more or less 5-foot-10 he should be a guard. Unfortunately he has a high dribble, is a streaky shooter, and is not a willing passer. In other words he does not possess the inherent guard skills you look for in the next level.

He possesses all of the perimeter skills but just has not convinced me enough that the level of those skills will make a star of him in college. He is a very good athlete, quick, fast, strong, good jump, changes directions easily, but the skills are closer to a 3 than even a 2, and at lean 5-foot-10 there is no way he will ever succeed as a 3 in college.

If I were UE kung nagpapa-presyo si Nambatac then to hell with him, kuha na lang ako ng iba.

LION
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Rey Nambatac is still hoping against hope to get a good offer from a school that loves to throw money away. If it were just up to me I'd tell Nambatac to go f--- himself. Honestly I don't think he'll be a college star, and this is certainly not worth star money.

He's just another player, hard to even say if he has a college position, because at his size of more or less 5-foot-10 he should be a guard. Unfortunately he has a high dribble, is a streaky shooter, and is not a willing passer. In other words he does not possess the inherent guard skills you look for in the next level.

He possesses all of the perimeter skills but just has not convinced me enough that the level of those skills will make a star of him in college. He is a very good athlete, quick, fast, strong, good jump, changes directions easily, but the skills are closer to a 3 than even a 2, and at lean 5-foot-10 there is no way he will ever succeed as a 3 in college.

If I were UE kung nagpapa-presyo si Nambatac then to hell with him, kuha na lang ako ng iba.

He’s a Gino Jumao-as play-a-alike.

Rey Nambatac is another player who needs to shoot in volumes to be able to contribute. For small players, it doesn’t work that way in college. Go ask Jumao-as.

Sam Miguel
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
^^^ Padre, at least Jumao-as is a legit 6-flat, might even be 6-foot-1, with the same game, and he has improved his pullup and jump shooting. Nambatac on the other hand, I don't know, just doesn't seem to have enough game to thrive as a fulltime college guard.

gensankid
02-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks again for the info sir, sana makapasok naman kami ulit sa final four =)

Sam Miguel
02-04-2013, 08:36 AM
^^^ I would bet good money that UE is a shoe-in at least for the Final 4 if Charles Mamie averages at least 10 rebounds for you guys, even if he does not get double-digits in scoring, even if he blocks only a shot every other game, as long as he gets at least 10 rebounds per game you guys will be in the Final 4.

red_engr1987
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
^^^ I would bet good money that UE is a shoe-in at least for the Final 4 if Charles Mamie averages at least 10 rebounds for you guys, even if he does not get double-digits in scoring, even if he blocks only a shot every other game, as long as he gets at least 10 rebounds per game you guys will be in the Final 4.

if the team missed the FINAL 4 in Season 76, then the rebuilding process is a complete failure for UE.
FYI Coach B. Zamar never had his moment in winning F4 GAMES, He lost all his F4 GAMES during his 1st coaching stint with UERW. In his 1st year as Head Coach he missed the F4 losing to NU in OT. This time Coach Zamar with his experience and maturity maybe he can gate crash at the F4 Party. Hoping and praying that he will bring us back in the Finals in Season 77

gensankid
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Si Allan Caidic lumipat na sa kabilang bakod =(

UE_red king
02-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Ok lang yan. Palagay ko magaling siguro yung shooting coach ng UE kaya di na nila kailangan si Allan Caidic.
Sana magchampion na UE this season!

Joescoundrel
02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Nung late-1980's to all of the 1990's naglipatan din sa same bakod na 'yan ang magagaling na BA at CAS profs ng UE.

As for Allan Caidic, that isn't surprising at all, considering Danding made him what he is today. Oh ok, Danding and Ron Jacobs.

red_engr1987
02-22-2013, 10:26 AM

will he sing with us for our UE Hymn after the UE VS DLSU game in UAAP Season 76 ? lets wait and see

Big Ticket
02-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Trabaho lang raw.... Did UE offer him a position in the first place?

red_engr1987
02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Trabaho lang raw.... Did UE offer him a position in the first place?

yes correct, wala naman offer UE kay Allan Caidic we all know he is connected with SMC Group so di sya pwede :(

Sam Miguel
03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
UE was up 11 or 12 points in their MBL game a couple days back when Coach Pido Jarencio instigated a walkout late in the fourth quarter.

I didn't get the stats but I'm pretty sure Charles Mamie and Roi Sumang had good numbers. Mamie is so strong Karim Abdul was havign a dickens of a time gainst him. That was the first time I ever saw Abdul not have an advantage against an opposing center. Even against Greg Slaughter, Abdul had some advantage in foot speed and quickness, not against Mamie.

Kevin Ferrer had a good game and will arrive as a bona fide UAAP star in Season 76. However he also found the goings tough against Mamie. Mamie had at least four blocks in the first half by my count, and must have finished with five or six blocks.

Those games are ongoing at the Lumera gym right across Arellano in Legarda once or twice a week in the evenings, starting around 4:00 PM. We don't have a schedule though, and we basically just lucked out seeing a notice in the newspapers.

gensankid
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
UE was up 11 or 12 points in their MBL game a couple days back when Coach Pido Jarencio instigated a walkout late in the fourth quarter.

I didn't get the stats but I'm pretty sure Charles Mamie and Roi Sumang had good numbers. Mamie is so strong Karim Abdul was havign a dickens of a time gainst him. That was the first time I ever saw Abdul not have an advantage against an opposing center. Even against Greg Slaughter, Abdul had some advantage in foot speed and quickness, not against Mamie.

Kevin Ferrer had a good game and will arrive as a bona fide UAAP star in Season 76. However he also found the goings tough against Mamie. Mamie had at least four blocks in the first half by my count, and must have finished with five or six blocks.

Those games are ongoing at the Lumera gym right across Arellano in Legarda once or twice a week in the evenings, starting around 4:00 PM. We don't have a schedule though, and we basically just lucked out seeing a notice in the newspapers.

May laban sila sa saturday 6:30 p.m. -- UE-Erase vs. Lyceum-Uratex (Lyceum Gym)

Sir Sam, bakit daw nag-walkout si Coach Pido? Maganda ba laro ng UE ngayon?

Sam Miguel
03-04-2013, 11:04 AM
^^^ Pido felt a call late in the game didn't go UST's way. At that point UE was up about 12 points.

That was the last game of UE that I watched, and for now it looks like UE is living up to its UAAP Dark Horse tag. We will all see more of the Warriors in the summer league.

GensanKid, please post the other MBL game schedules of UE here.

red_engr1987
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=gensankid;518611]May laban sila sa saturday 6:30 p.m. -- UE-Erase vs. Lyceum-Uratex (Lyceum Gym)

from UE RED TRIBE, UE RED WARRIORS won last saturday against Lyceum I believe they are now 3 - 0

gensankid
03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
^^^ Pido felt a call late in the game didn't go UST's way. At that point UE was up about 12 points.

That was the last game of UE that I watched, and for now it looks like UE is living up to its UAAP Dark Horse tag. We will all see more of the Warriors in the summer league.

GensanKid, please post the other MBL game schedules of UE here.

As usual, ganun naman talaga si Allan K, este Pido pala =)

Ok Sir Sam, try ko makakuha ulit ng schedule, last remaining games nila against Wang's Ball Club and AMA Computer University.

Sam Miguel
03-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Gensan, how did the Warriors do versus Wang's and AMA?

gensankid
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Gensan, how did the Warriors do versus Wang's and AMA?

Wala pa ako news Sir Sam, ang alam ko di pa sila naglaban. Last na laro nung March 12 Wang's vs MOB.

Sam Miguel
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
UE's bright future and proud past convince Bonleon to join Red Warriors

By Reuben Terrado

March 22, 2013, 03:02 pm

Mario Bonleon, right, was the leading scorer of the Energen-Pilipinas squad mentored by Olsen Racela that finished sixth in the 2012 Fiba-Asia Under-18 championships in Mongolia.

UNIVERSITY of the East's bright future in the UAAP as well as the school's proud past were the reasons that convinced Philippine youth standout Mario Bonleon to play for the Red Warriors starting this season.

Bonleon confirmed to Spin.ph that he has already made a commitment to play for the Red Warriors, a team that finished near the bottom of the standings last season with a 3-11 win-loss record.

Despite finishing seventh last season, Bonleon strongly believes the Red Warriors, under head coach Boycie Zamar, will be a title contender as early as the coming season following the arrival of several recruits.

“Napakalakas ng team this year, championship contender talaga,” said Bonleon. “Hindi lang alam ng mga tao pero alam ng mga ibang teams ‘yun.”

The Red Warriors have beefed up their roster with imports Charles Mammie and Mustaph Arafat. They also have a couple of promising players who are set to move up from the reserve ranks.

Calling his team as the "new breed of Warriors," Bonleon said: “Malakas ang team ng UE from my rookie year hanggang sa last year ko. Daming recruits. Nagbago na ang UE."

Bonleon was one of the top standouts of the Energen-Pilipinas squad mentored by now-Petron head coach Olsen Racela that finished sixth in the 2012 Fiba-Asia Under-18 championships.

During the Mongolia tournament, Bonleon posted a team-high 14.3 point average per game while also contributing 3.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists a game for the Nationals.

The La Salle Greenhills standout admitted that the hiring of his father Nonoy as assistant coach of the team also played a role in his decision to suit up for the Red Warriors.

“Assistant coach namin ang dad ko, mas gusto ko doon para may guidance ako. Simula nung naglaro ako, siya kasi ang nag-train sa akin,” Bonleon said.

The winning tradition of UE and the legendary players who once suited up for the Red Warriors also factored into the young Bonleon's decision.

“Napansin ko sa PBA, UE ang nagpo-produce ng mga legends. Simula pa nung era nila Jawo (Robert Jaworski), Allan Caidic to James Yap, and ngayon Paul Lee … Gusto kong sundan ang mga yapak nila,” Bonleon said.

During the time of Jaworski, UE captured seven straight UAAP titles from 1965 to 1971 - a feat no team has come close to matching until the Ateneo Blue Eagles won a fifth straight title last season.

But the Red Warriors have fallen on hard times, going without a title since 1985. The school has not made it to the Final Four since 2010.

Sam Miguel
03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
^^^ Can anyone enlighten me as to the coaching credentials of Nonoy Bonleon? To my knowledge he is nothing more than just another micro-managing stage father who may actually be a disruptive influence on the UE coaching staff if Boysie Zamar and Company do not use his boy Mario "properly". That is one reason I never want to have a father-son package deal on any team. It is too much of a conflict of interest.

Sinong tatay ba naman ang hindi bilib sa sarili niyang anak, at hindi kakampihan at susuportahan ang anak niya? Ang siste, papano na kapag ang gustong mangyari ng tatay, o ng mag-ama, ay ikapapahamak na ng buong koponan? Ang tancha ko dito sa Nonoy aangal at magrereklamo at gagawa ng mga hakbang upang patalsikin si Coach Boysie kapag hindi bente hanggang trenta minutos na babad kada laro ang anak niya.

And if Mario takes every shot he fancies, as he has done since his time with Lasalle Greenhills, I can guarantee that Charles Mamie, Roi Sumang, John Noble, Lord Casajeros, Ralph Olivares and even Chris Javier will take a fist to his face. Kapag nagpang-abot na sila-silang mga magkakakampi, papano na ang UE?

JVboy
03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Sam, as far as I know Nonoy was taken in long before Mario committed to UE. He was not taken in because of Mario. There was never talk of a package.

I think the plan was to put him in the Women's team, but not the Men's team. I'm not sure what Nonoy credentials as a coach. I only heard that he had small time coaching jobs, here and there. Boysie and Nonoy are long time friends as they were former teammates duing PBL days .

I just can't help but notice your violent overtures of fist fight, etc, like the one you commented what Buenafe might do to mario, what sumang et all might do to Mario during practice, and now what Mamie et al might do to Nonoy. Why those suppressed thoughts and feelings? Why the hate to these father and son? You probably need an outlet to bring out that violece burning inside you. Maybe try MMA or Muay Thai. Or come with me to the firing range. hehehe.

I just cannot help but wonder, it is so unusual for an Atenean.

bchoter
03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Nonoy has been angling for a coaching back since 3-4 years back, before Mario moved to Manila. I think he landed an assistant coach's job in one of the NAASCU teams. This year, right in his son's senior year, he gets hired by UE. If it was for Mario, we'll never know unless he or somebody inside UE says so. But the timing is a litte bit "uncanny" ;). I hope he does well.

BLUE HORSE
03-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Helllooooo Danny Manning! Ok's lang if UE wins the basketball championship during the tenure of the Bonleon's in Recto.

Joescoundrel
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Considering UE has at least two good recruits who are transferees from the province, I am wondering why no one showed up at the Senate hearing yesterday. Tarages talaga, panahon ko pa lang sa UE nabubuhay na sa hugot ang UE, surely even decades before nandun ako. Apektado mga hugot sa "Mbala Rule" na sinabay ipasa with the "Pingoy Rule", tapos ni isang taga-UE wala sa Senado kahapon. Talaga naman...

gfy
04-02-2013, 12:05 PM
^ I think all Filipino college transferees, whether from the UAAP or not, are covered by the 2-year rule. Including foreigners. Only fil-fors have to do just one year residency. Sabi nga ni Baculi para daw parepareho na lahat na 2 years bwahahaha. Which is really stupid...

ghost09
04-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Considering UE has at least two good recruits who are transferees from the province, I am wondering why no one showed up at the Senate hearing yesterday. Tarages talaga, panahon ko pa lang sa UE nabubuhay na sa hugot ang UE, surely even decades before nandun ako. Apektado mga hugot sa "Mbala Rule" na sinabay ipasa with the "Pingoy Rule", tapos ni isang taga-UE wala sa Senado kahapon. Talaga naman...

Really a stupid rule to begin with , disappointed in UE voting for it

Sir joe are these ue recruits from the province - foreigners? sa pagkaka-alam ko these stupid rules won't affect Filipino transferees from other other leagues whether fresh hs grad / college tranferee

Joescoundrel
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
^ Even local transfers have to sit two years, ganun ang lagay ni Ponso Gotladera sa Ateneo ngayon, wala na 'yang release-release na 'yan. Para naman hindi man lang inisip ni Sir Roque ang implications ng boto ng UE sa Board.

red_engr1987
06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
all UE RW games in the 1st round of UAAP MBT Season 76 are scheduled at 2:00PM. wala tayong schedule na Main Game just like the schedule of UP Fighting Maroons its 2:00 PM all the way during the 1st round :(

ghost09
06-15-2013, 05:34 PM
it's two weeks away from the uaap season , my line up prediction :)

1st 5
Mammie
Javier
Noble
Casajeros
Sumang

Santos
Flores
Olivarez
Sumido
Jumao-as

Hernandez
De Leon
Olayon
Galanza
Alberto

last slot - want to give it to pujante but it looks like bonleon is a shoo in for the team , imo guion and bonleon should be relegated to team B to hone their skills

zoom2k7
06-16-2013, 03:24 AM
if i were the coach =)

Mammie
Javier
Santos
Casajeros
sumang

Hernandez
noble
olivarez
sumido
jumao-as

De leon
Flores
olayon
galanza
Alberto

last slot - il go for pujante too bata pa naman si guion at bonleon it wont hurt if they spend time on team b atleast may playing time sila dun for sure, nasan na nga pala si ian valdez?

Joescoundrel
06-16-2013, 10:57 AM
if i were the coach =)

last slot - il go for pujante too bata pa naman si guion at bonleon it wont hurt if they spend time on team b atleast may playing time sila dun for sure, nasan na nga pala si ian valdez?

Ian Valdez, Nike Montalvo, Bon Chavez, that Villarias boy have all been mercifully let go by UE.

I agree that Bonleon and Guion should probably stay on Team B for a year.

Dan Alberto needs focused coaching, hindi ganyan ang totoong laro ni Dan. He could be a very good second pointguard behind Roi Sumang, siya ang dapat gawin project ni Billy Reyes.

ghost09
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Ian Valdez, Nike Montalvo, Bon Chavez, that Villarias boy have all been mercifully let go by UE.

I agree that Bonleon and Guion should probably stay on Team B for a year.

Dan Alberto needs focused coaching, hindi ganyan ang totoong laro ni Dan. He could be a very good second pointguard behind Roi Sumang, siya ang dapat gawin project ni Billy Reyes.

Ian Valdez - I hoped they would stash him on team B he had good height for a pg needed more seasoning

What happened to nike montalvo? , i think he was doing good in team b , he could have played in team A right now - remembered he was the centerpiece of that CEC recruitment in 2010 (Montalvo , Olayon , Zosa , Villarias) , when i see Guion today he reminds me of villarias haha

Dunno what coach jerry saw in Chavez , coach jerry's recruitment was not so good (except for javier haha)

Hoping Dan Alberto steps up this season , backup pg is a problem for ue

ghost09
06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
UAAP ROSTERS SEASON 76

VIA http://www.rappler.com/sports/university/uaap/32060-uaap-season-76-basketball-lineups

University of the East Red Warriors

Dan Irvin Alberto
Lord Howier Casajeros
Jairold Fores
Pedrito Galanza, Jr.
Leo Guion
Ivan Jeric Hernandez
Christopher Joyce Javier
Gino Jumao-as
Charles Mammie
John Michael Noble
Ralf Olivares
Luis Adrian Vinci Pujante
Adrian Santos
Shej Roi Sumang
Jhon Rey Sumido

My predication came through bonleon relegated to team b haha or gone elsewhere?

Adamson University Soaring Falcons

Gian Lloyd Abrigo
Michael Angelo Agustin
Matthew Bernabe
John Rodney Brondial
Eric Matthew Cabigas
Roider Ross Cabrera
Jericho Xavier Cruz
Jerome Garcia
Alejandro Antonio Inigo
Ar-raouf Julkipli
Ryan Christopher Monteclaro
Dawn Hnyric Ochea
Harry Petilos
Jansen Rios
Ingrid Sewa
Celedonio Trollano, Jr.

Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles

Antonio Rafael Asistio
Francesco Wilfredo Asuncion
Gideon Ira Babilonia
Ryan Clarence Buenafe
Gwyne Matthew Capacio
Juan Nicolas Elorde
Ivan Angelo Enriquez
John Paul Erram
Frank Golla, Jr.
Isaac Jules Lim
Peter Amiel Murphy
Chirstopher Elijah Newsome
Von Rolfe Pessumal
Kiefer Isaac Ravena
Juan Miguel Tiongson
Manuel Vicente Tolentino

De La Salle University Green Archers

Robert Lee Bolick, Jr.
Luis Alfonso dela Paz
Kirell Brahndon Montalbo
Jason Andre Perkins
Luis Alfonso Revilla
Gabriel Reyes
Matthew David Salem
Jarelan Tampus
Jeron Alvin Teng
Thomas Christopher Torres
Norberto Brian Torres
Arnold Raymund van Opstal
Almond Vosotros

Far Eastern University Tamaraws

Joshua Dave Aguilon
Rey Mark Belo
Carl Bryan Cruz
Jeson Delfinado
Augus Vince Denila
Ron Marvis Dennison
Ryan Roose Garcia
Anthony Hargrove, Jr.
Alejandra Antonio Inigo, Jr.
Raymar Jose
Joel Christian Lee Yu
Jovanie Luz, Jr.
Gryann Mendoza
Roger Ray Pogoy
Terrence Bill Romeo
Christian Sentcheu
Cris Michael Tolomia

National University Bulldogs

Rodolfo Alejandro
Joshua Angelo Alolino
Mark Joel de Guzman
Alfred Dong Aroga
Nico Paolo Javelona
Joeffrey Javillonar
Glenn Khobuntin
Cederick Labing-isa
Emmanuel Mbe
Kyle Drexler Neypes
Bobby Ray Parks
Tristan Perez
William Maurice Porter
Robin Rono
Jeth Troy Rosario
Lee Dennice Villamor

University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons

Agustin Amar, Jr.
Renzar Asilum
Matthew Ball
Andres Paul Desiderio
Joseph Ray Gallarza
Moriah Joel Gingerich
Andrew Michael Harris
Kyles Lao
Jason Ligad
Samuel Joseph Marata
Andre Alonzo Paras
Martin Javier Pascual
Miguel Antonio Reyes
Raul Soyud
Janus Kyle Suarez
Julius Paul Wong

University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers

Karim Abdul
Clark Daniel Bautista
Eduardo Daquioag, Jr.
Jeepy Faundo
Kevin Ferrer
Roberto Hainga
Kent Jefferson Lao
Kim Kaizen Lo
Jan Cornelius Macasaet
Edcor Marata, Jr.
Aljon Mariano
Paulo Lorenzo Pe
Sheak Sheriff, Jr.
Brian James So
Robin Allan Tan
Jeric Allen Teng

Sam Miguel
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
^^^ Where is Mario Bonleon? Has he been relegated to the UE B Team in the meantime? I think that will serve him well, especially since that gives him the chance to be a Team B star first and toughen up in the Fr Martin Cup and the Metro Basketball League. He will have good company in Boy Olayon and that 6-foot-8 Arafat kid.

On the other hand, if he has left UE for good as some reports have it, he should think that decision over 10 times 10 times. Next year Ralf Olivarez, JR Sumido and even Lord Casajeros will all be gone, and there are no swingman types in UE's recruitment future as of now. Which means he will get all the minutes he wants starting next year.

ghost09
06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
^^^ Where is Mario Bonleon? Has he been relegated to the UE B Team in the meantime? I think that will serve him well, especially since that gives him the chance to be a Team B star first and toughen up in the Fr Martin Cup and the Metro Basketball League. He will have good company in Boy Olayon and that 6-foot-8 Arafat kid.

On the other hand, if he has left UE for good as some reports have it, he should think that decision over 10 times 10 times. Next year Ralf Olivarez, JR Sumido and even Lord Casajeros will all be gone, and there are no swingman types in UE's recruitment future as of now. Which means he will get all the minutes he wants starting next year.

Hope he still catches on team b , like what you said sir sam he would be good there with those players , i think RR deleon has been relegated there too . perfect scenario sana for bonleon next year sayang

JVboy
06-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Just heard the news. I was taken by surprise as well just like anyone else.

I also hope that the decision to pull Mario out of UE was well thought of. Whatever it is that prompted the family to come up with the decision must be important or valid, at least for them. We are left with nothing but to respect their decision.

The pull out might be ill-timed, at a week before the season commences. Pero imo, it would be worse if it is done midseason. And another thing, this incident is nothing new. Elorde also left his team, and so did Art Dela Cruz, Ponso Gotladera, Sam Marata, etc.

I can only hope that they have better plan for Mario in the years to come.

zoom2k7
06-27-2013, 04:28 AM
We dont need primadonnas on our team!Good luck on school hunting Mario Bonleon!

Sam Miguel
06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Apparently the Twitter-verse was abuzz that Mario Bonleon has returned to his native Davao. What the devil is he going to do there, farm? He needs to get his act together. Anyone contemplating a PBA career who is not in the UAAP or NCAA will have the odds stacked against him immensely, unless he is as good as say PJ Simon or Gary David or Ato Agustin. Kailangan gumawa muna ng pangalan sa varsity, and there is no varsity competition better than the UAAP or NCAA.

If he's really left UE at this point he will have to sit out one year of residency regardless of where he transfers. And this time he needs to make sure he goes to a school that is not crowded at his position AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WHERE HE WILL ACTUALLY GET A DECENT EDUCATION.

Since the earliest he will play is the 2014 season, might I suggest UST (subject of course to a favorable endorsement from my Tokayo...). By 2014 UST will have a good pass-first point guard in Joel Tolentino, and it will be Karim Abdul's last year. To my knowledge both Kevin Ferrer and Aljon Mariano should still be there, so Bonleon will come in at just the right time where he will still be on a good, talented team.

The only thing he will need to accept is that he cannot come in firing indiscriminately as he did over this summer with UE. He has to bide his time, play decoy, use that jab-step, ball swing, shot fake and ball fake he loves to put on. His shot opportunities will come, but he has to show he is a team player first and foremot. Sadly he failed in that department with UE, which is why he rode the bench after his first three or four outings in the Fil Oil.

And hopefully, he will listen to better advice with regard to his basketball career. He has enough skill and talent to eventually become a good college player, maybe not an elite-level superstar, but certainly a good player, and with hard work, patience and discipline might become a fulltime starter by his third full year of varsity. That might be his valuable first step towards a PBA career.

But if he cannot bide his time, if he does not have the patience, worse of all, if he keeps listening to bad advice, he will never get the chance to prove that.

JVboy
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Well said, Sam.

I hope these things you "said" will sink in to him. I do believe that the kid badly need good advisers and proper guidance.

red_engr1987
06-28-2013, 11:32 AM
maraming slot sa UE RW next year BONLEON should wait for his turn to shine in the team, last year na ni CASAJEROS, SUMIDO, FLORES, NOBLE, OLIVAREZ. he can have the playing minutes he want sayang he can develop his skills one season in Team B. I think he is not getting good advice from his handler :(

Anyway goodluck to the father and son there is a lot of crossroad ahead its a long journey to glory have a nice trip.

ghost09
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
We took too many outside shots imo even in that good 1stQ i think casajeros attemped 3 or 4 at the least --- mammie had a poor showing he will need to adjust to the uaap game iba na ang laro pag UAAP na , good learning experience for the boys.

Looks like coach nash transformed romeo-garcia combination into a very lethal duo , look out uaap

Sam Miguel
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Tams humble UE Warriors; Tigers score

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:58 am | Sunday, June 30th, 2013

FAR EASTERN U brought University of the East down to earth right in the opener.

The Tamaraws fought back from a double-digit deficit to stun the preseason favorite Warriors, 89-78, at the start of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

“I’ve been telling them (Tamaraws) that the real test is the real tournament,” said new FEU coach Nash Racela. “I’m happy we weren’t talked about much [in the preseason]. It lessened the pressure.”

Terrence Romeo and former MVP RR Garcia combined for 41 points as the Tams rallied from 15-26 to pull away by 15 in the fourth period against the Warriors, who came into the tournament fresh from topping a preseason event that featured most of the country’s top collegiate squads.

University of Santo Tomas survived La Salle in overtime, 63-58, in front of an electric crowd of 17 ,985 in the second game.

Often criticized for his selfish play, Romeo flirted with a triple-double with a game-high 23 points, nine rebounds and half of the Tamaraws’ 24 assists.

“I’ve been saying in the interviews that they’ll see a different Terrence Romeo,” said the senior guard sharing the team top billing with Garcia, who knocked in 11 of his 18 points in the final quarter.

Jeric Teng unloaded 23 points and Karim Abdul collected 17 markers, 10 boards and three blocks as the duo also combined for nine of the Tigers’ 12 points in overtime.

Playing with a sprained ankle, Aljon Mariano nailed three free throws inside the last 22 seconds for the final tally.

“Partly it’s opening jitters, but what’s important is we got the win,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio.

The Tamaraws trailed by as many as 11, 15-26, in the first half before Romeo, who had 18 points in the second half, keyed their turnaround.

Charles Mammie, a 6-foot-8 recruit from Sierra Leone, only got the green light to play hours before the game following an emergency meeting where the UAAP Board reviewed his eligibility documents along with Cameroonians Ingrid Sewa (Adamson) and Alfred Aroga (National U).

The scores:

First Game

FEU 89–Romeo 23, Garcia 18, Hargrove 11, Belo 10, Tolomia 8, Cruz 8, Pogoy 7, Sentcheu 2, Mendoza 2, Jose 0.

UE 78–Sumang 22, Olivares 17, Casajeros 8, Noble 7, Mammie 7, Javier 4, Hernandez 4, Sumido 3, Santos 3, Jumao-as 3, Flores 0.

Quarters: 11-21, 32-37, 61-56, 89-78

Second Game

UST 63–Teng 23, Abdul 17, Bautista 6, Mariano 5, Ferrer 5, Pe 3, Hainga 2, Daquioag 2, Lo 0.

LA SALLE 58–Vosotros 13, Perkins 13, Teng 10, T. Torres 7, N. Torres 6, Reyes 4, Revilla 4, Van Opstal 1, Tampus 0, Bolick 0.

Quarters: 10-12, 28-20, 40-34, 51-51 (reg), 63-58 (OT)

bchoter
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Blame it all on Casajeros! Why the hell was he trying to show up Garcia (and Romeo near the end game) when he was already doing a great job keeping step with him? All he did was awaken RR's the competitive spirit led to his 2nd half outburst.

red_engr1987
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Blame it all on Casajeros! Why the hell was he trying to show up Garcia (and Romeo near the end game) when he was already doing a great job keeping step with him? All he did was awaken RR's the competitive spirit led to his 2nd half outburst.

blame it to the whole team its just too many turnovers and a number of miscue in the offensive set. the transition defense is also anemic such a lazy defense for UE RW. A good lost for the team in the early game " BACK TO EARTH FOR UE RED WARRIORS ". Game 2 coming soon on Saturday against the NU Bulldogs

Joescoundrel
07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
blame it to the whole team its just too many turnovers and a number of miscue in the offensive set. the transition defense is also anemic such a lazy defense for UE RW. A good lost for the team in the early game " BACK TO EARTH FOR UE RED WARRIORS ". Game 2 coming soon on Saturday against the NU Bulldogs

Blame it on Charles Mamie playing only 17 minutes due to foul trouble. Without him no one else could rebound for UE, and consequently that fueled the FEU transition attack, which was powered by (holy shit!) the snappy outlet passing of Terrence Romeo!

Pero huwag ka: 12 rebounds pa din ang Mamie kahit 17 minutes lang.

Dark Knight
07-06-2013, 06:49 PM
If Sumang is not the MVP this season...i dunno who is. (wink!)

Joescoundrel
07-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Zobel Holds Off FEU FERN

Games today:

(Filoil Flying V Arena)

9 am- AdU vs UP (women)
10:30 a.m. - UST vs DLSU (women)
12 noon - NU vs FEU (women)
1:30 p.m. - ADMU vs UE (women)

ALJUN MELECIO exploded for nine of his 19 points in the final two minutes as La Salle-Zobel held off defending champion Far Eastern University-Diliman, 61-59, and seize the early lead in the UAAP juniors basketball tournament yesterday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

The Baby Tamaraws held a comfortable eight-point lead at the 1:49 mark of the fourth quarter before Melecio drilled three consecutive triples for the Junior Archers to grab a 59-58 lead.

David Completo then split his charities to force the game's last deadlock at 59-59 before La Salle-Zobel’s Karl Maldinger calmly buried two free throws in the last 7.3 seconds. The Baby Tamaraws tried to turn things around but failed to launch an attempt in the dying seconds.

Renzo Subido finished with 20 points while Melecio added 19 points, nine rebounds and five assists for the Junior Archers, who are unbeaten in two games.

Ateneo slipped past the University of the East (UE), 71-64, in the other game.

Michael Nieto had a double-double of 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Thirdy Ravena chipped in 16 points, seven rebounds and four assists for the Eaglets.

Magic Marata paced the Junior Warriors with 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Reymar Caduyac had 12 points.

FEU-Diliman and UE dropped to 0-2.

The scores:

First Game (Jrs)

ADMU (71) - Ravena 16, Mi. Nieto 13, Ma. Nieto 11, Escaler 11, Mendoza 8, Black 6, Magpoc 3, Calilung 3.

UE (64) - Marata 20, Caduyac 12, Guttierez 5, Briones 4, Mohamad 3, Antonio 6, Altamirano 6, Del Rosario 5, Celarde 3.

Quarterscores: 20-13, 37-30, 54-49, 71-64

Second Game (Jrs)

DLSZ (61) - Subido 20, Melecio 19, Sajulga 9, Banzon 7, Maldinger 2, Romero 2, Castro 2, Isaac 0.

FEU (59) - Domingo JJ 13, Comboy 13, Lee 12, Escoto 7, Domingo JS 7, Completo 7, Aquino 0.

Quarterscores: 13-9, 25-26, 42-46, 61-59

Joescoundrel
07-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Tigers share lead; UE wins

By Cedelf P. Tupas

12:49 am | Sunday, July 7th, 2013

PLAYING with more fire in the second half, University of Santo Tomas brought down another contender in Adamson, 67-62, yesterday to gain a piece of the lead with Far Eastern U in the UAAP Season 76 at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

The Tigers came out strong after a lethargic first two periods, erasing a double-digit lead in the third quarter with Jeric Teng and Kevin Ferrer leading the charge.

Teng poured 13 of his 15 points in the second half, including a 15-foot fade away with 16 seconds remaining to give UST breathing room at 66-62.

Later, Roi Sumang completed a four-point play with 3.7 seconds remaining to lift University of the East to a pulsating 71-67 victory over National U.

The Warriors finally played like the powerhouse team it was billed to be at the start of the season with Sumang, who finished with a team-high 19 points, capping his game-long brilliance with a triple from 26 feet out while drawing a foul from NU star Ray Parks.

The Warriors tied their victims at 1-1, the same record as Adamson.

“We were humbled after the loss to FEU,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar. “We had some excess baggage, some bad habits after the preseason that showed against FEU. But Roi Sumang brought the most important baggage of all in this game, which is his big heart.”

With former UE star Paul Lee watching from courtside and the score tied at 67, Sumang took Parks one-on-one and put the exclamation point in a game-defining play.

Atoning for his poor effort against FEU, the Warriors’ 6-foot-8 center Charles Mammie dished out a monster performance with 15 points and 20 rebounds, 13 offensively.

Parks, the reigning Most Valuable Player, struggled with 11 points on 3-of-16 shooting for the Bulldogs, who scratched Cameroonian Alfred Aroga from their roster because he failed to comply with the league’s residency requirements of two years just before the game.

The loss turned out to be a double-whammy for the Falcons, who lost valuables, including mobile phones and cash, to burglars who sneaked into their locker room.

The scores:

First Game

UST 67—Ferrer 17, Teng 15, Bautista 9, Mariano 8, Daquiaog 7, Abdul 6, Lo 5, So 0, Sherrif 0, Pe 0, Hainga 0.

ADAMSON 62—Cruz 15, Sewa 13, Cabrera 11, Brondial 9, Trollano 6, Julkipli 4, Petlos 3, Inigo 1, Rios 0, Monteclaro 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 18-22, 26-34, 45-41, 67-62

Second Game

UE 71—Sumang 19, Mammie 15, Jumao-as 11, Olivares 9, Santos 6, Javier 4, Noble 3, Sumido 2, Casajeros 2, Guion 0, Galanza 0, Flores 0.

NU 67—Mbe 18, Parks 11, Khobuntin 8, Javillonar 8, Alejandro 8, Alolino 7, Rosario 4, Villamor 3, Rono 0, Neypes 0, De Guzman 0.

Quarters: 12-18, 32-31, 55-52, 71-67

Joescoundrel
07-07-2013, 07:40 AM
May event sa UE last Friday, daming booths at mga kiosks. Ano 'yon?

ghost09
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Shades of Paul lee in the 4th Qtr for Roi sumang with those 2 cold blooded threes , good game from Mammie . Jumao-as really played well , still missed alot of outside shots (noble & casajeros) but great bounce back game for the team

ghost09
07-07-2013, 11:23 PM
May event sa UE last Friday, daming booths at mga kiosks. Ano 'yon?

Hmm, dunno . Baka job fair? lol or a college week (BA week , etc)

ghost09
07-07-2013, 11:32 PM
If Sumang is not the MVP this season...i dunno who is. (wink!)

This early in the season i think it's your Romeo who leads the race, followed by sumang . Romeo is onto a great start this season - coach nash really coaching well for you guys , lets see what happens

Sam Miguel
07-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Roi Sumang is getting 1% of what Ray Parks is getting in monthly allowances, to say nothing of any of the other perks NU gives to its star. Sumang also takes the train and the bus and the jeep when he has to get to games. Parks was given his his own car.

So I guess that makes Sumang the best value superstar in the UAAP.

Sam Miguel
07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
UAAP: Fearless Sumang takes winning into his own hands

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

10:46 pm | Sunday, July 7th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — Give him enough time, even just an inch of space, and the responsibility to carry his squad, trust University of the East’s Roi Sumang to take — and make — the biggest shot of the night.

He asked center Charles Mammie to set a pick at the three point line, then dribbled quickly to the left.

Sumang, being the sly guard that he is, has the guts to either drive furiously to the rim, or launch a shot right then and there with the game on the line.

Sumang opted to leave lasting impression: that he wasn’t scared of anyone — not even the league’s best player for the last two years.

He unleashed a triple from deep, leaving his defender — National University’s best player and two-time MVP Bobby Parks — scrambling to put his hand up for any form of distraction.

Swish. Plus the foul with 3.7 seconds left to play. Sumang calmy sank the freebie, completing the rare game-winning, four-point play. The Warriors clipped the Bulldogs, 71-67.

It played out exactly how Sumang wanted it to be — he taking the winning into his own hands.

Sumang knew how hard it was to stare at their final four hopes down from the cellar, and he wasn’t going to let his Warriors fall back into those bad habits, and a 0-2 hole.

“Hiningi ko talaga kay coach yung bola,” said Sumang after the Warriors’ 74-70 win over the Bulldogs. “Sinabi ko naman ayaw ko na talagang matalo eh. Sawang sawa na ako.”

And Parks’ body on him — bulkier and lankier — down the stretch proved to be just another challenge he couldn’t wait to hurdle.

“Ang laki niya eh. Ang hirap dahil ang bilis niya gumalaw. Buti nung second half maganda ginawa ko,” he said of having Parks as a defender.

That show capped Sumang’s game-long brilliance, and UE head coach Boyzie Zamar put it best, “feeling ko yung tira na yun is something like redemption for us.”

And as the Red Warriors seek a different outcome to their season, expect that to be just one of Sumang’s herioc acts.

red_engr1987
07-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Coach B. Zamar can't hold on to his emotion after that winning shot, as Roi Sumang point to Paul Lee exchanging high five after that 3 from the parking lot plus foul. Its all HEART and PASSION for winning for UE Red Warriors, UE crowd went wild shouting cheering with UERD pouring it on with their drums. What a moment inside the big dome and the UE crowd continue to cheer on their way out full of energy. Expect a huge crowd from UE in their next game the party is on the UE Red Warriors are alive and rejuvenated !!!!

Go Fight Red and White

Sam Miguel
07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Fortune continues to favor Boycie

By Beth Celis

10:27 pm | Tuesday, July 9th, 2013

AS VETERAN scribe Lito Cinco puts it, “When it rains, it pours.”

Lito, who also works as a team building facilitator, was referring to the spate of good fortune that has been coming the way of Boycie Zamar, who was first touched by Lady Luck when he was appointed University of the East Red Warriors mentor in the UAAP.

UE rose from the cellar when Boycie took over and he soared simultaneously. I wrote about him in this column recently, as being San Miguel Corporation head Ramon S. Ang’s personal choice for the Ginebra coaching staff. Ang practically plucked him from the television screen.

Yesterday, I learned that Boycie was also the mutual pick of Jean Henri Lhuillier and Danny Francisco for the head coaching post of their Cebuana Lhuillier team in the PBA D-League.

Boycie is to take over the previous function of Beaujing Acot, who will concentrate on his job as Cebuana team manager.

“The core of Boycie’s Cebuana team will be culled from his UE Warriors, which he hopes he could steer to at least the UAAP Final Four this season. There will be no conflict, since the UAAP ends just before the D-League starts in October,” said Lito, who used to work for one of Jean Henri’s numerous business interests.

So how did Boycie get into Jean Henri and Danny’s stream of consciousness?

“Memory,” said Lito. “And this time, unlike in his situation with Ginebra, he has history going for him with Lhuillier, who at one time was the exclusive supporter the Philippine basketball team during the time of the BAP, when no entity could be tapped to do it. Boycie, then, was coach of the national team.”

Of course I remembered. Jean Henri, at that time, wanted to support the Philippine team in a big way, going so far as to build quarters for the players, and even searching for talents nationwide from the grassroots level.

Then came the conflict between the SBP and the BAP and after the dust had settled, nobody wanted to touch anybody that had been associated with the BAP with a 10-foot-pole. This included Boycie, who had to seek livelihood abroad—Indonesia if I’m not mistaken—for a number of years, before returning to the Philippines.

ghost09
07-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Kudos to Adamson , they jumped the gun on us and never looked back , cabrera had a great 1st half , several players stepped up for them . We played dismal defense and missed too many freethrows (14) .

as per twitterverse
Reuben Terrado ‏@reubensports 5m
UE team still in the dugout. It's now halftime of the 2nd game between NU and UST

looks like coach boyzie had a loooong talk with the boys

Sam Miguel
07-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Bulldogs down Tigers; Falcons up

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:44 pm | Wednesday, July 10th, 2013

NATIONAL University spoiled University of Santo Tomas’ bid to stay perfect as Ray Parks pumped in 20 points to lift the Bulldogs to a 71-67 triumph over the Tigers yesterday in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Parks fueled a third-quarter breakaway that lifted NU to a 54-42 lead before the Bulldogs withstood the Tigers’ late rally even without chief gunner Jeric Teng, who sat out the entire second half due to an injured right shoulder.

“We knew coming into this game that we’re going to have a hard time against UST because they never give up until the end,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “I kept telling my boys that we need to keep our composure.”

NU and UST wound up tied at 2-1 along with Adamson, which also fought off University of the East’s furious fourth-quarter comeback to forge a 78-71 triumph in the first game.

Roider Cabrera knocked in all of his 19 markers in the first half, 15 from beyond the arc, to fuel the Falcons’ sizzling start where they led by 25 points, 50-25, at the break.

Ingrid Sewa added 15 points, 11 rebounds and a couple of blocks for the Falcons, who pulled ahead by as many as 30 points, 55-25, before the Warriors whittled it down to a single digit behind Roi Sumang.

Parks sat out for nearly half of the fourth period due to foul trouble but Emmanuel Mbe and Gelo Alolino kept the Bulldogs on top with key baskets in the last three minutes.

Teng sat out the rest of the game after saying he couldn’t move his shoulder after he fell when Jeoff Javillonar slammed into him just 75 seconds left in the first half.

Parks, who dropped nine points in a 15-5 spurt that gave the Bulldogs their biggest lead, also had six boards, six assists, two steals and two blocks.

Mbe posted a double-double of 17 markers and 11 boards, while Jeth Rosario and Alolino scored a combined 20 for the Bulldogs.

“It was big for us when they lost Teng,” said Altamirano.

Sumang erupted for a game-high 26 points, 18 in the second half where the Warriors also gave the Falcons a tough time with their defensive press.

The Falcons held on despite going scoreless from the 4:48 mark and Sewa also fouling out in the last two minutes.

The scores:

First Game

ADAMSON 78–Cabrera 19, Sewa 15, Cruz 10, Julkipli 6, Brondial 6, Iñigo 5, Rios 4, Petilos 4, Agustin 4, Abrigo 4, Monteclaro 1, Trollano 0.

UE 71–Sumang 26, Casajeros 14, Mammie 9, Sumido 6, Santos 4, Javier 2, Olivares 2, Noble 2, Jumao-as 2, Alberto 2, Pujante 0, Hernandez 0, Galanza 0, Flores 0.

Quarters: 27-14, 50-25, 68-45, 78-71

Second Game

NU 71–Parks 20, Mbe 17, Rosario 12, Alolino 8, Villamor 5, Javillonar 3, Roño 2, Porter 2, Khobuntin 2, De Guzman 0, Alejandro 0.

UST 67–Ferrer 20, Daquioag 13, Bautista 9, Teng 7, Mariano 7, Abdul 6, Lo 3, Pe 2, So 0, Hainga 0.

Quarters: 22-15, 37-31, 54-44, 71-67

Sam Miguel
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
^^^ Adamson shot 49% from the field in the first half, led by Roider Cabrera's 19 points on five three-pointers. Their lead ballooned to as much as 30 points in the third period. That Roi Sumang somehow brought that all the way down to seven points is a miracle in itself.

JR Sumido has somehow become a damn fool. From being one of the best long-range shooters in the UAAP to a guy who looks lost, dazed, confused and sometimes even bangag on the floor. What the devil's happened to this boy?

ghost09
07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
^^^ Adamson shot 49% from the field in the first half, led by Roider Cabrera's 19 points on five three-pointers. Their lead ballooned to as much as 30 points in the third period. That Roi Sumang somehow brought that all the way down to seven points is a miracle in itself.

JR Sumido has somehow become a damn fool. From being one of the best long-range shooters in the UAAP to a guy who looks lost, dazed, confused and sometimes even bangag on the floor. What the devil's happened to this boy?

lol'd at your JR Sumido description . It is true , i think he never gets comfortable out there on the floor , sometimes there are glimpses of a good player in him but most of the time he really looks lost out there. Maybe it's the coaching changes or the underdevelopment of his overall game , maybe he's just a late bloomer haha , I hope he snaps out of his funk - this is his last season.

Then there's Noble , for all his minutes played every , he just doesn't make enough plays for the team. his overall game is very predictable.

bchoter
07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Sumido and Casajeros are busy one-upping their opponents. Casajero's, for one, spends more time sprawled on the floor trying to fool the refs to calling an offensive foul. Funny coz even after the final buzer, he flopped when Cabrera got entangled with him, making a bigger issue of what it was. Nagwala tuloy yung isang mama from UE.

Sam Miguel
07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Loyzaga warns NU’s Javillonar, sacks Mammie

By Olmin Leyba

(The Philippine Star) | Updated July 12, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - UAAP commissioner Chito Loyzaga slapped an unsportsmanlike foul on National U’s Joeff Javillonar for his hard push that led to a shoulder injury to Santo Tomas’ Jeric Teng during the Bulldogs’ 71-67 win last Wednesday and warned the NU veteran of suspension for future offense. Not as lucky in dodging the commissioner’s axe was University of the East’s Charles Mammie, who was suspended for one game for his action during UE’s losing 71-78 game to Adamson also last Wednesday.

Javillonar blindsided an unsuspecting Teng at the 1:20 mark of the second period, causing the UST captain to fall and grimace in pain holding his right shoulder. Teng, who averaged 19 points and six rebounds in 38 minutes prior to that game, was sidelined the rest of the match and was to undergo tests to determine the extent of the injury.

Aside from Javillonar, two other players received a memo from Loyzaga after a review of Wednesday’s games, namely, Mammie and Adamson’s Roider Cabrera.

Loyzaga found merit to suspend University of the East’s Charles Mammie for “confronting, pushing and kicking Cabrera from behind with the intention to hurt” in the endgame of AdU’s 78-71 win over UE. The Commissioner explained it was the second such infraction for Mammie, who was earlier issued a warning for “kicking and elbowing” NU’s Emmanuel Mbe during their July 7 faceoff. Mammie will thus sit out UE’s next game, against UST on Saturday.

Cabrera, meanwhile, got a warning for hitting UE’s Lord Casajeros.

“Please be assured that all game tapes shall be carefully reviewed in order to assure the conduct of fairplay and sportsmanship is observed at all times,” Loyzaga warned.

Javillonar is under heavy fire for his push on Teng during one NU offensive.

“The court is big. I was near the 3pt line and nowhere near the play. What happened didn’t come from screen, rebound or seal. Can’t believe it,” Teng said on his Twitter account. “And to clarify, I was hurt with the push. Not with the fall. I was pushed from behind that hit the back of my right shoulder.”

UST team physician Raul Palma said after the game that Teng “did not dislocate his right shoulder.” According to Teng, result of X-ray on his shoulder was “okay” but they would need further confirmation after last night’s MRI rest.

“I was just advised to put ice on it and rest. I’m doubtful for Saturday,” he said.

Javillonar insisted it was not his intention to hurt Teng.

“Going for an offensive rebound lang talaga ako. Hindi ko sadya ‘yun (I had no intention to hurt him; I was just going to the offensive rebound at that time,” Javillonar stressed.

Teng’s younger brother, La Salle ace Jeron Teng, joined in the Javillonar bashing and maintained there was deliberate intention to hurt on the part of the Bulldog, a former teammate with the national youth team.

“I know it’s no accident. I’ve known him since Phl youth days,” Jeron posted on Twitter.

red_engr1987
07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Basketball God give us our 2nd W against ADMU on wednesday, 3rd W on saturday against DLSU and lastly a convincing W against UP (no upset please against the Maroons). Amen

Joescoundrel
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Roi's ankle is still hurting. I think it got aggravated after the UST game.

red_engr1987
07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Roi's ankle is still hurting. I think it got aggravated after the UST game.

inaalat yata UE RW sa 1st round, but still hoping for a win :)

Sam Miguel
07-17-2013, 04:00 PM
UE beats the Ateneo 72-68, good finish by Roi Sumang and Charles Mamie.

Sam Miguel
07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
20 points and 23 rebounds for Charles Mamie, the most caroms in a single game since Jervie Cruz.

Sam Miguel
07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Tams, Warriors triumph

FEU holds off NU to keep slate clean; UE trips Ateneo

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:40 pm | Wednesday, July 17th, 2013

FAR EASTERN University stayed unbeaten in five games even as University of the East joined the list of Ateneo conquerors in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

The Tamaraws erupted for 45 points from three-point range, took a 20-point lead at the end of the third quarter before arresting a late meltdown to edge National University, 87-83.

Terrence Romeo accounted for six of the Tamaraws’ 15 triples to finish with 24 points. He also starred in the endgame with four crucial points inside the last 26 seconds after the Bulldogs threatened with a 21-6 rally in the last four minutes.

Earlier, Charles Mammie returned big from a one-game suspension as the Warriors hacked out a 72-68 decision over the defending champion Eagles, who took their fourth loss in five games.

Mammie dropped a game-high 20 points, the last two on free throws with 17.2 seconds left. He also grabbed 23 rebounds to lead the Warriors, who survived an Ateneo rally from 15 points down, 31-46, in the second half and improved to 2-3.

“We started really, really nice but didn’t finish very well,” said FEU coach Nash Racela. “Good thing Terrence [made the key baskets] to secure the victory.”

Romeo nailed a tough layup that gave the Tamaraws an 84-78 cushion and also canned two clutch free throws with just 5.5 seconds left after a Robin Roño trey pushed the Bulldogs within a basket, 85-83.

The loss dropped the Bulldogs to third at 3-2.

“It’s all about mental toughness and that’s what we lacked,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar. “The Ateneo team had pride, our team had egos. When Ateneo caught up, it deflated their egos. They woke up at the right time.”

A JM Noble drive gave the lead back to the Warriors, 68-67, before a Roi Sumang basket padded the lead to three, 70-67, with just 47.1 ticks left.

The loss came just three days after the five-time champions ended an alarming 0-3 start with a 71-59 rout of Adamson.

FEU’s output of 15 triples was the most number of treys made in a single game since the 16 recorded by Adamson in 2006 and University of Santo Tomas in 2010.

“Their defense focused on the three guys (Romeo, RR Garcia and Mike Tolomia), so it opened up lots of opportunities for the other guys,” said Racela.

The scores:

First Game

UE 72–Mammie 20, Sumang 14, Alberto 14, Casajeros 8, Noble 7, Olivares 5, Santos 2, Javier 2, Olayon 0, Sumido 0, Jumao-as 0, Guion 0.

ATENEO 68–Tiongson 17, Pessumal 12, Ravena 11, Newsome 10, Elorde 5, Golla 4, Buenafe 4, Erram 3, Asuncion 2, Tolentino 0, Lim 0, Enriquez 0, Capacio 0.

Quarters: 18-12, 37-31, 54-54, 72-68

Second Game

FEU 87–Romeo 24, Cruz 13, Mendoza 10, Garcia 9, Tolomia 7, Belo 6, Pogoy 5, Sentcheu 4, Iñigo 3, Jose 2, Hargrove 2, Dennison 2.

NU 83–Mbe 27, Parks 26, Roño 9, Khobuntin 8, Javillonar 7, Villamor 2, Rosario 2, Alolino 2, Porter 0, De Guzman 0, Alejandro 0.

Quarters: 28-16, 45-36, 68-48, 87-83

Joescoundrel
07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Natutuwa naman ako sa pinamalas na husay ni Dan Alberto kahapon. Kami ni Boss Sam ang naka-discover kay Dan para sa Fatima. Sam and I may be Atenistas but we know talent when we see it, at walang masamang tinapay sa amin.

I sang two alma mater hymns yesterday. :)

bchoter
07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
OT: ^ And the 'do... bagay sa avatar :D... 'sa indak ng panahon'

red_engr1987
07-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Natutuwa naman ako sa pinamalas na husay ni Dan Alberto kahapon. Kami ni Boss Sam ang naka-discover kay Dan para sa Fatima. Sam and I may be Atenistas but we know talent when we see it, at walang masamang tinapay sa amin.

do you mean Ateneo Hymn and UE Hymn ?

red_engr1987
07-20-2013, 11:57 PM

Dan Alberto shooting 2 crucial FT in the closing minutes of the game with his steady hands he made both. he can also shoot 3. paano sya napunta sa UE RW (recruit ba ni Coach Jerry?). he can play PG very stable in ball distribution and he can drive hard to the hoop (walang takot!!!) malaki maitutulong nya sa team :)

red_engr1987
07-21-2013, 12:05 AM
UE def. DLSU yesterday via huge comeback on the last 3 mins of the ballgame Alberto shooting crucial 2FT, brilliant play of Sumang and friends and the killer 3 of Olivarez (from the top of the arc) that breaks the last deadlock.

What a game for UE Red Warriors the fans jumping and shouting for joy :)

next assignment UP Maroons >>> lets play hard and smart !!!!

Joescoundrel
07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Warriors, Falcons hack out close wins

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:39 am | Sunday, July 21st, 2013

RALF Olivares emerged as the end-game hero for University of the East and Jericho Cruz also came out big for Adamson as the Warriors and the Falcons pulled off separate pulsating triumphs in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Cruz dropped all but two of his 18 points in the second half as the Falcons stunned the National University Bulldogs, 68-66, to climb to solo third at 3-2.

The Warriors slipped past the La Salle Green Archers, 85-83, with Olivares knocking in six of UE’s last eight points inside the last 46 seconds.

“We were very fortunate against NU, we were lucky,” said coach Leo Austria, whose Falcons escaped as NU’s Robin Roño missed a wide-open triple attempt at the buzzer.

Cruz buried the last four points in an 8-0 run that pushed the Falcons ahead, 68-63, going into the final minute after trailing at 60-63.

“He showed us he also has a big heart like (Roi) Sumang and (Charles) Mammie,” coach Boycie Zamar said of Olivares as the Warriors tied the Bulldogs at the fourth spot at 3-3.

Olivares buried a huge triple that gave the Warriors an 82-81 lead, then later nailed a buffer free throw with 12.6 seconds left after the Green Archers had threatened within a point, 84-83.

Coming off the bench like Olivares, guard Dan Alberto also delivered in the clutch by firing a floater that pushed the Warriors within a point, 77-78, and canning two cushion free throws, 84-81, with 28.5 seconds left.

The scores:

First Game

UE 85—Sumang 21, Mammie 19, Javier 16, Alberto 9, Olivares 8, Noble 8, Santos 4, Jumao-as 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0, Casajeros 0.

LA SALLE 83—Vosotros 26, Teng 13, N. Torres 9, T. Torres 9, Van Opstal 8, Dela Paz 8, Salem 6, Perkins 4, Tampus 0, Revilla 0, Montalbo 0.

Quarters: 18-18, 39-43, 58-64, 85-83

Second Game

ADAMSON 68—Cruz 18, Cabrera 12, Trollano 7, Sewa 6, Petilos 5, Rios 4, Monteclaro 4, Brondial 4, Agustin 4, Julkipli 2, Iñigo 2, Ochea 0, Abrigo 0.

NU 66—Mbe 17, Parks 15, Javillonar 10, Roño 6, Perez 5, Villamor 4, Alolino 4, Javelona 3, Porter 2, Rosario 0, Khobuntin 0, Alejandro 0.

Quarters: 17-15, 32-28, 48-48, 68-66

Joescoundrel
07-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Javier, Olivares star in 4th quarter run to lift UE past La Salle

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

5:07 pm | Saturday, July 20th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines – University of the East mounted a spirited comeback in the fourth quarter and escaped La Salle, 85-83, Saturday in the UAAP season 76 men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The Red Warriors erased a 10-point deficit in the last eight and a half minutes of the game with a rally sparked by Chris Javier and sustained by Roi Sumang, as Ralf Olivares and Dan Alberto completed the comeback for their second straight victory.

While it was a great comeback, head coach Boycie Zamar rued his players’ lack of mental toughness.

“We have to develop our mental toughness. It’s not the X-and-Os anymore when you’re down by 10. But we wouldn’t be down like that if we had mental toughness,” said Zamar.

Sumang wound up with 21 points, seven rebounds and six assists, Charles Mammie added 19 points and 16 boards while Javier had 16 markers.

From 58-68 down, Javier and Sumang tandemed in a 12-3 run to pull the game even at 73 with 3:21 to play, before Alberto and Olivarez accounted for UE’s last 10 markers.

A triple from Olivares –who was only used sparingly — gave the Red Warriors their first lead of the final quarter, 82-81, with 42.3 seconds after pouncing on a crucial miscue by La Salle.

“We have a ‘cat and mouse’ relationship. But it was a good thing he stepped up when I put him in the game,” also said Zamar.

He also had a crucial split from the stripe in their final offensive possession, but had to rely on luck when Norbert Torres pulled down his missed foul throw.

The Green Archers were just a basket away from overtime, and had 12.6 ticks to get either a tie or game-winning shot off, but Thomas Torres misfired on their final attempt.

UE reached the .500 mark (3-3) with just a game left in the first round of eliminations while La Salle dropped to 2-3.

Almond Vosotros’ new career high of 26 points — built on four triples — went down the drain. Teng, who had 13, was scoreless in the entire second half.

Joescoundrel
07-21-2013, 07:56 AM
"Ano ba!? Ayaw niyo bang manalo? Kung kayo ayaw niyo, ako gusto ko!" - Roi, minutes before he, Ralf and Dan overhauled 10 points in eight minutes to pull off the win for UE.

Me after the game: "Ang drama mo naman nung timeout, haha!"

Roi: "Put---ina naman kasi Boss, parang ayaw manalo nung mga kakampi ko. Buti natauhan."

That's my guy, hahaha!

ghost09
07-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Great game from both sides imo kudos to DLSU they played a great game , dan alberto is making a case for more playing time in the rotation - 2 straight solid games , Javier was the silent hero of the game with his timely scoring from 3 pointers to mid range shots . Sumang was on point again , definitely making a case for the mvp this early . Olivarez made gutsy plays in the endgame hope he gets consistent though

On to UP , end the 1st round strong UE!

Joescoundrel
07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
do you mean Ateneo Hymn and UE Hymn ?

Yes sir. I hold diplomas from both institutions.

Joescoundrel
07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Dan Alberto shooting 2 crucial FT in the closing minutes of the game with his steady hands he made both. he can also shoot 3. paano sya napunta sa UE RW (recruit ba ni Coach Jerry?). he can play PG very stable in ball distribution and he can drive hard to the hoop (walang takot!!!) malaki maitutulong nya sa team :)

Yes indeed, I think Dan is a recruit by Jerry Codinera care of Pepe Sanchez, current Fatima University Athletics Boss, and former long-time assistant to the legendary Ato Badolato with the San Beda Red Cubs.

Dan first attracted attention with the Fatima junior division team in NAASCU, as he was a heady and steady player. He was used as a secondary ball handler and was one of the team's primary offensive options thanks to his perimeter shooting.

Dan's biggest basketball sin is that he is not really a "pure" or "true" pointguard in the way Roi is, or even Marcy Arellano before. That is why Coach Boycie Zamar had been previously unwilling to give him extended minutes, going instead with freshman rookie Leo Guion even in the Fil Oil. He also tends to lose his guy on defense, a mortal sin in the eyes of Zamar, and he is not exactly quick enough to recover on switches or go over screens when that happens.

Right now Dan is a joy to watch because he is using his great scoring and shooting skills to maximum advantage. If he could learn to take better care of the ball and be more focused on defense he'd make a heck of a backup for Roi.

bchoter
07-22-2013, 02:15 PM
brilliant play of Sumang and friends and the killer 3 of Olivarez He may be interchangeable with the others but Oliveraez is my favorite among Roi's friends because he doesn't play to the crowd or try to get the better of his defender. He plays with exhuberance but not overly so.

Sam Miguel
07-24-2013, 10:16 AM
^^^ Tokayo you are speaking of the new and much-improved Ralf Olivares.

The original Ralf Olivares who first displayed his game in the Fr Martin Cup almost two years ago was a trash-talking, in-four-face dipshit who annoyed even his teammates. You can ask RR De Leon, Jino Juamo-as and even Lord Casajeros all about that.

Boycie Zamar has imbued this team with some sense of propriety and pride in playing for UE. To me that was the harder part of Zamar's job, and the improved basketball was but a bonus.

bchoter
07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
^ Indeed, tokayo. In a Fr Martin game versus, I think, JRU. He was played mind games on the ex-Red Lion who also tried out for UST (whose name escapes me) with mixed success. During that stretch, he manged to let out the inner Romeo in that guy but, unfortunately, the ex-Lion's shots were falling. Buti nalang they still won with superior talent and size.

He has toned down considerably but he still plays mind games. Yun nga lang it's no longer the in-your-face type that is a distraction but more of the pasimple type. This is opposite Casajeros who is too preoccupied with the mind games, so much that it's his mind which gets f*cked up. Buti nalang they have a leader in Roi who gets in his face, or, literaly, in his head, grabbing a fistful of hair and tugs lightly, putting some sense in the kid.

On coach Boycie, yes, he's definitely made a good impression on the Warriors. Pero, I think he should tone down a little bit of the cliche because it may just end up being a... cliche. By coincidence, I've sat a lot of times behind UE's bench and sometimes those "rah-rah" words fall of deaf ears. Buti nalang the ring leader knows when to chime in

red_engr1987
07-27-2013, 10:32 PM
ugly WIN for UE RW against UP today. muntik pa manalo UP if not with those turnovers under last 2mins baka naka isa ang UP sa UE.
UE RW plays hot and cold, on and off every game i just hope they survive the 2nd round and manage to return to F4 Party.

with that kind of play they are on tie on 2nd place with UST as of today, waiting for the results of sunday games ADU VS FEU, DLSU VS NU

red_engr1987
07-27-2013, 11:17 PM
UE ends UAAP first round on winning note at winless UP’s expense
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
4:51 pm | Saturday, July 27th, 2013
0 56 2

MANILA, Philippines – University of the East pounced on turnover-plagued University of the Philippines to carve out a 62-57 Saturday in the UAAP season 76 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

After a deadlock at 57, the Warriors had to earn their final five markers from the stripe but still came away with the win as the Maroons were doomed by crucial miscues in the last 2:31 of the game.

“Satisfied? Honestly both no and yes. No in the sense that you cannot underestimate anybody but yes because they need games like this,” said head coach Boycie Zamar.

Center Charles Mammie scattered 17 markers and hauled down 22 boards while Roi Sumang added 10, despite going 2-of-11 from the field.

The Red Warriors led by as many as 11 points, but couldn’t fully shake off the Maroons even with UP’s main man Sam Marata struggling from the field.

UE then widened the gap to 55-49 midway in the payoff period but the Maroons pulled back quickly to knot the game.

UP had a chance to grab the lead with a bonus free throw given to Joseph Gallarza but he missed that and the ensuing follow up, and it was downhill from there for the hardluck Maroons.

After a stop on Mammie, UP, which was only down by a point with 1:13 to play, was called for an eight-second violation as Henry Asilum failed to notice the time.

Sumang then split his free throws for a 60-57 lead for UE, and the Maroons, with 9.5 ticks to go, had a chance for one final heave but Jason Ligad was caught stepping out of bounds.

Two more free throws from Sumang sealed the win for UE, which ended the first round with a 4-3 card, while UP remained winless.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/111603/ue-ends-uaap-first-round-on-winning-note-at-winless-ups-expense#ixzz2aG9zeGKf
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Joescoundrel
07-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Eagles nip Tigers; Warriors clip Maroons

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:42 am | Sunday, July 28th, 2013

ATENEO wrapped up its roller-coaster run in the first round with a huge conquest yesterday.

Kiefer Ravena and Ryan Buenafe hit key shots down the stretch as the Ateneo Blue Eagles survived a fourth-quarter onslaught by the University of Santo Tomas Tigers for a 61-57 decision in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“Even if we won by one point, 10 points or 20 points as long as we go up the standings,” said Ravena after the five-time champions improved to 3-4 while dealing a third loss in seven outings for the Tigers.

The Blue Eagles held on despite sinking only half of six free throws in the last 29 seconds as the Tigers came as close as within a basket, 59-57, despite a poor start where they fell back by as many as 15 points, 21-6.

“At the end of the day, it was our willingness to defend against a tough team like UST that made the difference there,” said Ateneo coach Bo Perasol

Earlier, Roi Sumang canned four free throws in the closing seconds as University of the East slipped past hard-luck University of the Philippines with a 62-57 decision.

Charles Mammie had a huge double-double of 17 points and 22 rebounds against the Maroons, who committed two crucial turnovers in the last 73 seconds that doomed their bid for a breakthrough win.

The Warriors ended their first-round campaign with three straight victories to climb to a share of second with the Tigers.

Not happy

“I’m not happy with the win because I’ve been telling them that we can’t underestimate anybody,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar. “But I’m also happy because we need this kind of game.”

Ravena drained 13 points, the last on a free throw with 5.7 seconds left that gave the Eagles a four-point buffer in the thrilling rematch of last year’s finals that drew a crowd of over 14,000.

Chris Newsome came out with an all-around outing of 10 points, nine rebounds, four assists and two steals, while Buenafe scored all but two of his nine points in the final period.

Sumang nailed four of six free throws inside the last 51.4 seconds for the final tally as the Maroons blew two chances to tie or take the lead on errors by Henry Asilum and Jason Ligad.

Meanwhile, the UAAP technical committee yesterday turned downed Adamson’s appeal for a replay of its controversial game against La Salle, but extended referee Francisco Olivar Jr.’s suspension from three to six games.

“Our protest was not approved because it was not technical in nature but a judgment call,” said Malu Isip, Adamson’s representative to the UAAP board. “But we’re satisfied with the decision. No more further appeal.”

League commissioner Chito Loyzaga had suspended Olivar for three games for an errant call in the dying seconds of the game won by La Salle over Adamson, 70-67, last Wednesday.

Ravena, who says he’s still at “70 percent” following an ankle injury early in the season, also had a key block on Ed Daquioag’s three-point attempt as the Eagles protected a precarious 58-54 lead with just 38.4 seconds left.

The Tigers, who only had six points in the first quarter, rallied from double-digit deficits in the fourth quarter behind Clark Bautista and Daquioag.

A Bautista triple, which was subjected to repeated reviews, pushed the Tigers within two, 59-57, with 21.3 ticks left.

Grind-it-out

Newsome then split his free throws, 60-57, but Kevin Ferrer missed two three-point attempts in the dwindling seconds.

“It was a tough, grind-it-out win for us,” said Ravena.

Aljon Mariano had 16 points and nine boards to pace the Tigers, who had a woeful first half where they committed 12 turnovers and shot 8-of-25 from the field.

“It was really tough thinking about going up against UST knowing that we need to get a win before we go to a long break,” said Perasol as the league plays its final weekend before giving way to the country’s hosting of Fiba Asia.

“Imagine what’s going to be in our hearts and minds in that long break if we lost that game.”

It was the first time in over a decade that the Eagles finished below the .500 mark at the end of the first round.

Sumang collected 10 markers, nine rebounds and five assists for the Warriors, who held the Maroons scoreless in the last 2:31 minutes after a 57-57 deadlock.

The Maroons—whose main man Joseph Marata shot a woeful 1-of-18 from the field–dropped all seven assignments in the first round.

Meanwhile, Far Eastern University goes for a sweep of the first round versus Adamson at 2 p.m., followed by the La Salle and National University duel at 4 p.m. today also at the Big Dome.

The scores:

First Game

UE 62—Mammie 17, Sumang 10, Santos 8, Casajeros 8, Olivares 7, Noble 4, Jumao-as 3, Alberto 3, Javier 2, Sumido 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0.

UP 57—Soyud 10, Gingerich 10, Gallarza 10, Ball 8, Ligad 6, Asilum 5, Marata 3, Wong 2, Paras 2, Pascual 1, Lao 0, Harris 0.

Quarters: 17-10, 29-20, 44-42, 62-57

Second Game

ATENEO 61—Ravena 13, Newsome 10, Tiongson 9, Buenafe 9, Golla 8, Capacio 4, Pessumal 3, Tolentino 2, Erram 2, Elorde 1.

UST 57—Mariano 16, Daquioag 12, Bautista 11, Ferrer 9, Abdul 6, Lo 3, So 0, Pe 0, Hainga 0.

Quarters: 19-6, 27-21, 47-39, 61-57

red_engr1987
08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
UE Red Warriors 68 - UST Tigers 67 (final score) UAAP Second Round at SAC

ghost09
08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Crazy start in the 2nd round 68-67 UE over UST . It was a game of runs , monster game from abdul , we just made stops in the 4thQ -- Great 1st Half from olivarez 15pts keeping us afloat , Roi Sumang came alive in the 4thQ and willed his way for the win. Hope nothing serious on mariano's injury

4-game streak for us and close games at that, Hope we sustain till the end

Joescoundrel
08-16-2013, 09:25 AM
UE beats UST on Roi Sumang game-winner

By Reuben Terrado

August 15, 2013, 06:26 pm

ROI Sumang pulled off another heroic effort as he scored the game-winning layup to lead University of the East to a 68-67 victory over University of Santo Tomas on Thursday in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

Sumang scored UE’s final four points, including a daring drive past Ed Daquioag and a clutch layup off UST big man Karim Abdul which gave the Red Warriors the upper hand with 11 seconds to play.

UST made a mess of its final offensive, with Kevin Ferrer recovering a loose ball and throwing up an off-balance shot that didn’t even hit the rim.

The Red Warriors improved their win-loss record to 5-3 and grabbed a share of second place with National University, while dropping erstwhile joint second-placer UST to a 4-4 card.

Sumang has won a game for UE for the second time this season, having also converted a four-point play to beat National University, 71-67, in July.

Down by three points following an Abdul free throw, Sumang scored on a fastbreak off a miss by Daquioag with 20 seconds to go.

UE got a big break with Daquioag’s wild inbound pass. Kevin Ferrer caught the ball but his foot landed on the sideline in front of the Tigers bench for a turnover, setting the stage for Sumang's game-winner.

“It’s not only the heart, but also the head,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar about Sumang, who finished with 20 points and 10 assists.

UE was down, 47-58, entering the fourth but pulled off the victory behind a late charge.

After a so-so first round, the Red Warriors are beginning to regain the form that earned them a preseason title as they won their fourth straight contest.

“Hindi naman ito cars or trucks na puwedeng palitan ang piyesa. I always tell them to be patient. Parang farming. Bubunga, may namamatay na bunga,” said Zamar.

It was a sorry loss for the Tigers, who led 67-64 with 2:43 left but failed to score after that.

UST also lost a key player when Aljon Mariano badly rolled his left ankle, the same ankle he injured in the preseason, midway in the third. He never returned in the game.

Ralf Olivares added 15 points while Charles Mammie had 10 points and 15 rebounds for the Red Warriors.

Abdul had 23 points and 20 rebounds for the Tigers.

The scores:

UE (68 ) – Sumang 20, Olivares 15, Mammie 10, Santos 6, Noble 5, Casajeros 5, Galanza 3, Sumido 2, Javier 2, Olayon 0, Pujante 0, Jumao-as 0, Hernandez 0, Guion 0.

UST (67) – Abdul 23, Bautista 13, Ferrer 12, Daquioag 12, Mariano 4, Hainga 2, Lo 1, Sheriff 0, Pe 0, Faundo 0.

Quarterscores: 22-21; 37-38; 47-58; 68-67.

Joescoundrel
08-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Roi

By Joseph W Buduan

After notching yet another close victory over a tough opponent, Roi Sumang has all but cemented his claim as the most clutch player of UAAP Season 76

UE's Red Warriors had pulled off another escape act, coming back from as much as 11 points down, pulling the rug out from under the UST Growling Tigers 68-67 in front of a sparse but animated gallery at the Big Dome yesterday.

Coming to the rescue, as he had done on at least one other occasion this season, was 5'8" chain-lighting pointguard Roi Sumang.

Sumang had earlier found off-guard Lord Casajeros for the outlet pass and easy layup in transition as the Warriors had brought a six-point Tigers lead all the way down to only one point, 66-67, time down to a little over 20 seconds. Casajeros had already rattled in a three-pointer from the right quarter-court on the play previous, again off a Sumang assist, a kick-out pass after the pointguard drove into the gut of the UST defense.

UST head coach Pido Jarencio called his last timeout to map out a play for his boys after Sumang was whistled for his fourth foul as he stopped a driving Ed Daquioag with a grab-and-hold.

When UST inbounded the ball Daquioag threw a long cross court pass to Kevin Ferrer, with Sumang bothering Ferrer on the UE match-up zone. Ferrer caught the pass but was falling down backwards, and wary of stepping out of bounds, bounced the ball off Sumang's leg. Referees asked for a video review, and it was clearly shown that Ferrer's left heel had touched the white sideline with the basketball still in his hand, and way before he tried to bounce it off Sumang. Possession was awarded to UE. Time was down to a little over 18 seconds.

It was now UE head coach Boysie Zamar's turn to call his own last timeout. In his huddle he mapped out a simple inbound play. All he wanted was a good inbound so the ball would be in play.

"Kung sino ang may pinakamalaking puso, siya na ang tumira." That, according to Sumang, was Zamar's bottomline.

"Kaya nung nakuha ko na bola ako na umatake," he followed up.

Sumang took the lateral inbound from Casajeros. He checked the clock. He went to his shake-bake, then his crossover, then his hesitation dribble, then he just exploded to the basket with Daquioag and Clark Bautista now both totally ankle-broken. Karim Abdul, who had been a pillar of strength for UST all game long rushed in to help but was also too late. Sumang's layup bounced gently off the back glass and down through the bottom of the net.

Without a timeout left, the Tigers had to inbound from the opposite baseline. After some scrambling, a loose ball struggle, and the ball finally bouncing out of bounds along the other baseline it was all over. Bedlam ensued as the UE gallery let out long, raucous cheers and jubilant yells. Sumang was once again the hero.

"He is our heart and our head, so H and H talaga," Zamar declared in the post-game interview.

After the usual plethora of questions I shook hands with the coach and his superstar.

"Pare, gumana na 'yung barena mo!" Zamar said with a hearty laugh, referring to this writer's offer to buy the coach a drill for his guys' heads after they ended their Round 1 eliminations with a lackluster win over also-ran State University.

"Nakachamba na naman, sir." Sumang said in his usal self-effacing manner.

"Ano Roi, kaya ba Final 4?" I asked.

"Kaya sir, sana lang magdere-derecho na din kami, marami pa kaming dadaanan," he answered.

"Bakit parang pagod na pagod ka?"

He just laughed it off. He and his coach returned to their dressing room. They have another game this Sunday, a return bout with UP.

If he is not yet considered as the best pointguard in the UAAP there must be something wrong with the UAAP.

Super Roi has done it again.

Dark Knight
08-16-2013, 11:25 PM
i really hope Sumang to win the MVP this year. Take himout and UE will be picked at the kangkungan. (My apologies to the Red Warriors.)

Jericho Cruz comes in second.

red_engr1987
08-18-2013, 09:31 PM
i really hope Sumang to win the MVP this year. Take himout and UE will be picked at the kangkungan. (My apologies to the Red Warriors.)

Jericho Cruz comes in second.

its always SUMANG TIME at crunch time. indeed he is the new King Warrior our go to guy :)

zoom2k7
08-19-2013, 06:10 AM
ang mga tunay na MVP eh yun mahusay at mas pinag mumukhang mahusay ang mga kampi at EFFICIENT hindi un marami lang points kasi maraming TRIES! Sumang for MVP!

ghost09
08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
UAAP cancels Wednesday games. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/08/20/13/uaap-cancels-wednesday-games

Stay safe everyone

Sam Miguel
08-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Tams survive Warriors’ fury in 2 overtimes

Posted on Monday Aug 26th at 12:00am

By Olmin Leyba

MANILA, Philippines - Far Eastern U survived a roller-coaster game, grinding out a hard-earned 98-94 double overtime victory over University of the East to arrest a mild skid and stay on top in the UAAP Season 76 men’s basketball tourney at the Smart Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

The Tams drew a college career-high 30 points from Terrence Romeo, the same player who scored a league-best 83 points in his junior year. He was supported by Gryann Mendoza (15), Mike Tolomia (13), and Anthony Hargrove (12) as well as a host of bench players who made up for the absence of suspended RR Garcia in notching their first win after a 0-2 start in the second round.

An overjoyed and relieved FEU coach Nash Racela entered the press-room after his wards picked up their eighth win in 10 games, maintaining a one-win cushion against second-running National U (7-3). The Warriors saw their three-game roll halted and dropped to 5-4 in a tie for fourth with Ateneo, which nipped Adamson in the first game, 79-66.

“I’m happy because my players didn’t give up. There was one point in the first overtime when we’re down by seven with seconds to go and I told them anything is possible and they believed that. I’m so, so proud of my team. This is the first time I’m saying this,” he said.

“I’m relieved because it finally ended after two overtimes. I don’t know how but this kind of games makes you stronger. To think that RR wasn’t there,” he added.

FEU appeared headed for an easy win when they seized an 11-point lead in regulation, but UE made a fierce fightback and forced the extra period. The Tams found themselves staring at a 77-84 deficit with 22 seconds left in the first OT but drew deep from their willpower to tie things up behind the triples of Mendoza and Tolomia in between Romeo’s basket.

Mendoza and Romeo joined hands in an 8-0 salvo to give FEU a 95-91 cushion in the second extension, as Hargrove helped put the finishing touches with a bucket and a split in the end game.

Earlier, defending champion Ateneo squandered a 27-point lead but recovered in time to beat Adamson and vault closer to the upper half of the standings.

It was the fourth straight victory for the Blue Eagles, who improved to 5-4 overall.

red_engr1987
08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
UE Red Warriors Mammie and Casajeros, DLSU Green Archer Thomas Torres, draw suspensions
August 27, 2013 7:22pm

The UAAP on Tuesday announced suspensions for a pair of University of the East Red Warriors, center Charles Mammie and guard Lord Casajeros, while De La Salle University Green Archer Thomas Torres was also met with a sanction.Mammie and Casajeros were each given two-game bans for their play against Far Eastern University Tamaraw Terrence Romeo, whose side defeated UE in double overtime, 98-94, last Sunday. Mammie had stuck his foot under Romeo, after the latter launched a jump shot, causing the guard to stumble upon landing. Casjaeros meanwhile was punished for a closed-fist punch.

This is the second suspension for the 6'8" Mammie. He previously was forced to sit his team's game against the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers back in round one. On the other hand, it is Casajeros' first suspension, but the defensive stopper was forced to sit out two games as well.

Mammie is his team's second-best scorer with 13.9 points per game, and is their best rebounder, with 17.4 boards an outing. Casajeros meanwhile puts up 6.8 points, 3.6 rebounds and 0.9 assists a game, though his absence will be felt more on the defensive end.

Torres on the other hand drew a one-game suspension for accumulating his second unsportsmanlike foul, a punch directed at former Green Archer Joseph Marata, during DLSU's match versus the UP Fighting Maroons last Saturday, which his team won in a rout, 85-63.

Ironically, Torres had just returned from missing two games due to illness. The second-year floor general is averaging 7.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.1 steals versus 3.0 turnovers.

The two UE players will miss an August 31 game versus the NU Bulldogs and a September 4 battle with the DLSU Green Archers. Torres will be forced to sit out his team's rivalry match against the ADMU Blue Eagles, Sunday, September 1. - CLP/AMD, GMA News

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...aw-suspensions

Joescoundrel
08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
^ Pota!

Patay na kampanya, dalawang malalakas na teams pa naman makakalaban natin ng magkasunod.

Mamie's case I can understand, because he was already suspended one game. What's up with Lord?

red_engr1987
08-29-2013, 11:00 AM
UE to appeal, wants ban on duo downgraded
Reuben Terrado
August 28, 2013, 08:55 pm

UE coach Boycie Zamar, left, and board representative Rod Roque says at the very least, they want the two-game bans on Charles Mammie and Lord Casejeros downgraded. Jerome Ascano

UNIVERSITY of the East will appeal the decision of commissioner Chito Loyzaga to suspend for two games key players Charles Mammie and Lord Casajeros.

Rod Roque, the school’s representative to the UAAP board, said management is going file an appeal to the league’s technical committee on Thursday after he met with Loyzaga on Wednesday night to clarify the circumstances that led to the suspension of the two players.

“We talked to the commissioner to clarify things on the calls. He explained it very well. But as an obligation to the school, we will file a formal appeal tomorrow (Thursday),” said Roque after emerging from the meeting in one of the rooms at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Roque also hinted UE will also appeal to the board if the decision of the technical committee would likewise be unfavorable to the Red Warriors.

“Proseso natin, technical committee. Kapag na-deny, i-e-elevate natin sa UAAP board,” Roque said.

The UE official said that the school wants the suspension downgraded after Loyzaga decided to give Mammie and Casajeros their third unsportsmanlike foul for the season following a video review of the Warriors’ 94-98 double-overtime loss to Far Eastern University on Sunday.

“If not lift, downgrade,” Roque, also the sports director of UE, bared.

The suspension came at a most crucial time of the eliminations as the 5-4 Warriors are set to clash with National University on Saturday and De La Salle on September 4. Just like UE, both NU and La Salle are fighting for a berth in the Final Four.

Following the decision, UE star player Roi Sumang was even prompted to fire a tweet saying, “Tanggalin ninyo na lang kaya kami sa uaap,” on his account @shejSUMS.

But Loyzaga welcomed the meeting with Roque and UE coach Boycie Zamar as it gave him the opportunity to "make my side."

The commissioner said the two-game suspension was based on UAAP rules after it was determined the two UE players committed their third unsportsmanlike foul.

Loyzaga, though, said he is open to UE appealing his decision to the league technical committee.

“If they don’t like it, that’s okay. If they want to take necessary steps and make an appeal, they have the liberty to do that,” said the son of basketball legend Caloy Loyzaga.

Mammie was slapped with a two-game suspension after encroaching in the landing area as FEU star Terrence Romeo threw up a three-point shot.

Casajeros, meanwhile, committed two unsportsmanlike fouls in the game -- an elbow or a punch on Romeo in the second quarter, and an elbow on Romeo in the first overtime.

For his part, Zamar said he is ready for any eventuality.

“As a coach, you just have to play kung sino `yung natitira mong sundalo then fight till the end,” said Zamar.

bchoter
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
^ Pota!

Patay na kampanya, dalawang malalakas na teams pa naman makakalaban natin ng magkasunod.

Mamie's case I can understand, because he was already suspended one game. What's up with Lord?Rules are rules pero mejo uneven lang yung application nito kasi closed fist din yung kay Jeron. Baka mas may intent to harm yung kay Lord tapos reflex/napahiya reaction yung kay Jeron?

ghost09
08-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Next man up for the warriors , need everyone's A game these next games . this would be a very good time for a sumido sighting lol

Joescoundrel
08-30-2013, 10:48 AM
^ JR Sumido... Now what the f--- happened to this guy?

Sa totoo lang up to the Fil Oil quarterfinals gumagawa pa siya, after that naglaho na, not a single decent game, never mind a great game. Kung makagawa lang sana siya from the perimeter anlaking tulong na. His shooting is what opened things up for Roi, Charles and Ralf even during the summer.

How does a shooter suddenly stop being a shooter?

bchoter
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
^ Masyadong abalang maki-trash talk sa bantay parang si Casajeros at, ngayon, si Olivarez. Three interchangeable parts who can bring it on both ends of the floor.

red_engr1987
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
UAAP committee downgrades Casajeros ban, upholds Mammie penalty on appeal

By Reuben Terrado

August 30, 2013, 04:05 pm

The UAAP technical committee ruled the alleged elbowing or punching act by Lord Casajeros on Terrence Romeo in the second quarter was not clear on the video and was in fact not called by the referees. Jerome Ascano The UAAP technical committee ruled the alleged elbowing or punching act by Lord Casajeros on Terrence Romeo in the second quarter was not clear on the video and was in fact not called by the referees. Jerome Ascano

THE UAAP technical committee has upheld the decision of UAAP commissioner Chito Loyzaga to suspend University of the East center Charles Mammie for two games, but downgraded the suspension of Lord Casajeros to one game.

The technical committee chaired by Fr. Ermito de Sagun of University of Santo Tomas handed out the decision after reviewing the incident on Friday following an appeal made by UE to lift Mammie's ban and downgrade Casajeros’ suspension.

The Red Warriors got their wish on the Casajeros aspect of their appeal but not on Mammie's as the technical committee, following its own video review, maintained that he had an intention to hurt Terrence Romeo by encroaching on the FEU guard’s landing spot.

With the decision, Mammie will still miss the next two crucial games of the Red Warriors against National University on Saturday and De La Salle on September 4.

Casajeros, on the other hand, will now be able see action in the La Salle game after the technical committee’s decision.

In explaining its decision to downgrade Casajeros' ban, the technical committee said the UE guard's record is relatively clean with only a warning given during the first round of the eliminations following an altercation with Adamson’s Roider Cabrera.

The technical committee also said the alleged elbowing or punching act by Casajeros on Romeo in the second quarter was not clear on the video and was in fact not called by the referees.

It was also clear on the video, the technical committee said, that Mammie “double-stepped” on the landing spot of Romeo to merit a suspension.

ghost09
08-31-2013, 06:29 PM
We let another one slip away

Nakakapanginit ng ulo to si olivarez, It seemed he wanted to get suspended and looks like he will after his actions in this game. His bonehead plays cost us the game imo , down 48-47 in that crucial 3rd Q run , he was playing a great game then a useless foul -- elbows rono , the coaching staff should have put him on the bench immediately after that. Then gets a tech in the 4Q on the bench - what was he thinking? instigating all the nonsense stuff

Kudos to Noble , played a great game scoring in different ways even though in slow-mo haha , and there was a Sumido sighting as well --- played his best game albeit short minutes . Great game too from Javier and Santos from a rebounding standpoint, it looked like they wanted to win badly. Sumang , played hero ball too much on the 2nd half -- his shots were not falling.

We just keep beating ourselves up , and it will be tougher from here on out , we get back casajeros the next game - lose olivarez

I hope we snap out of whatever this is and get a F4 slot

Sam Miguel
09-02-2013, 11:11 AM
^^^ Completely agree with your assessment of Olivares. This guy needs to chill, maybe the two games off will let him see the folly of his ways. No one doubts his talent. Now I'm sure no one doubts his being a knucklehead either. Tama ba Tokayo?

bchoter
09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
^ Totally agree, boss. I'm still having nightmares of smiling face after annihilating the Tigers in the Fil-Oil. He needs to bring back the "silent assasin" in him...

red_engr1987
09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
sinapian yata si Olivares ng bad spirit, for a while he is playing good basketball tapos kumana ng TF on court and another TF off court. Got to use your BRAIN R. OLIVARES !!!! those two TF help the NU Bulldogs to win the game last saturday.

another thing UE RW missed a lot of free throws and our 3 pt shooting went sour as in wala during the game. it was a huge crowd on the UE side up on their feet most of the times and end up nga nga at the final buzzer.

Still Go Fight Red & White

tuloy ang laban !!!!

red_engr1987
09-02-2013, 01:13 PM
UE's Olivares suspended for two games
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 09/02/2013 12:19 PM | Updated as of 09/02/2013 12:19 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The problems of the University (UE) of the East Red Warriors continue as guard Ralf Olivares has been suspended for two games due to his “unsportsmanlike” behavior in their game against National University last week.

In a memorandum, the UAAP Technical Committee noted three instances when Olivares committed unsportsmanlike behavior.

“You (Olivares) were seen planting your foot on the stomach of NU player Nico Javelona after an offensive foul was called against you with 6:43 remaining in the second quarter. An additional unsportsmanlike foul against the opposing player should have been assessed against you,” according to the memo.

Olivares was then called for an unsportsmanlike with 1:53 to go in the third quarter when he swung his elbow at the face of NU’s Robin Rono. It was Olivares’ fifth foul of the game.

Midway through the final quarter, Olivares was seen bumping NU’s Joeffrey Javillonar near the UE bench. A technical foul was called against the Red Warriors bench as Olivares had already fouled out of the game at that point.

“In light of the multiple instances of unsportsmanlike behavior you displayed during the game, you are therefore suspended for two official games effective immediately,” according to the memo.

UE will play De La Salle and Ateneo in their next two games, with both contests having major implications on the Final Four race.

Olivares’ suspension is another blow to UE’s already sputtering campaign, as they will play the Green Archers without center Charles Mammie, who will serve the second of a two-game ban as well.

They will welcome back defensive-minded guard Lord Casajeros in the La Salle game, but will miss the outside sniping of Olivares and the imposing inside presence of Mammie.

UE currently has a 5-5 record at sixth place in the league standings.

Meanwhile, NU center Emmanuel Mbe was given a warning by the UAAP Technical Committee after a review of their game against UE showed that he “elbowed UE player Christopher Javier on his face.”

It was Mbe’s first warning for unsportsmanlike behavior in the season. A second warning will merit an automatic one-game suspension.

red_engr1987
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Good soldier' Zamar will no longer elevate case of Mammie to board

By Reuben Terrado

August 30, 2013, 07:16 pm

“The UE management has instructed me not to elevate the appeal to the UAAP board. As a good soldier, I will follow instructions, as much as I wanted to fight what I think was a non-call,” says Boycie Zamar. Jerome Ascano “The UE management has instructed me not to elevate the appeal to the UAAP board. As a good soldier, I will follow instructions, as much as I wanted to fight what I think was a non-call,” says Boycie Zamar. Jerome Ascano

UNIVERSITY of the East will no longer appeal the decision of the UAAP technical committee upholding the two-game suspension of big man Charles Mammie.

Warriors coach Boycie Zamar said he has been instructed by school officials not to elevate the issue to the league’s Board of Trustees.

“The UE management has instructed me not to elevate the appeal to the UAAP board. As a good soldier, I will follow instructions, as much as I wanted to fight what I think was a non-call,” said Zamar.

The UE mentor said he disagrees with the committee’s decision to uphold the two-game suspension handed out by commissioner Chito Loyzaga on Mammie for incurring a third unsportsmanlike foul following a video review of the Red Warriors’ defeat to Far Eastern University.

Zamar believes the referees weren’t able to call a foul on the incident where Mammie entered Terrence Romeo’s landing spot that led to the two-game suspension.

“’Yung akin, it was a non-call. It’s debatable. Hindi naman mismo tinawag ng referee ‘yung nangyari. Mismong ‘yung referee sa harap, hindi nila tinawag,” said Zamar.

The former national coach also said the league doesn’t have guidelines on specific acts of infractions like entering a player’s landing spot.

“Ano ba ang guidelines of suspension sa landing spot?” Zamar asked.

red_engr1987
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
DLSU Green Archers show poise in OT, dominate UE Red Warriors late

The De La Salle University Green Archers survived a late gaffe in regulation that could have resulted in a University of the East Red Warriors win, besting their foes, 75-65 in overtime, Wednesday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, in Season 76 of the UAAP.

With the win, the Archers tied the FEU Tamaraws for second place, thanks to their 8-4 record, while UE's postseason chances took a major hit, 5-6. It was also the fifth straight win of DLSU.

On the last play of regulation, La Salle center Norbert Torres thought his side had a foul to give, but it resulted in a trip to the foul line by Roi Sumang. However, the UE star point guard could only manage a split, enough to force an extra period, 56-all.

In overtime, triples from Almond Vosotros and Jason Perkins resulted in a five-point DLSU lead, 64-59, two minutes gone by. But UE's long scoring drought eventually did them in, as Jeron Teng hit enough charities down the stretch to put this one away. - AMD, GMA News

red_engr1987
09-05-2013, 10:50 AM
UAAP: Perkins for real as La Salle edges UE in OT
by inboundpass
Wednesday, 4 September 2013 2 Comments

by JOSEF T. RAMOS

FRESHMAN Jason Perkins played the game of his life on Wednesday after leading the De La Salle University Green Archers to a five-game winning streak in the second round of UAAP Season 76 men’s basketball at the Araneta Coliseum.

Perkins fired 22 points and nine rebounds as the Green Archers prevailed over the University of the East (UE) Red Warriors, 75-65, to tie the Far Eastern University Tamaraws at the second spot with an identical 8-4 slate.

“We just have to remember that we need to tally more wins,” said Perkins, who handed the Green Archers the advantage at 56-55 with only 13 seconds remaining after hitting a jumper.

“We just need to be consistent in our remaining games.”

Jeron Teng, the hero of La Salle’s win over Ateneo last Sunday, scored 17 points along with seven rebounds and four assists, while gunslinger Almond Vosotros had 16 points for the Green Archers. La Salle registered 18-of-22 shots from the foul line.

UE almost bagged the win after Norbert Torres fouled Sumang with only 4.7 seconds left but Sumang made only one of his two free throws that tied the count to 56-all. Teng muffed a three-pointer that sent the game to overtime.

Vosotros and Perkins both buried a three-pointer to spark a sizzling 10-3 run in the first three minutes of overtime period that gave La Salle a 64-59 lead and they never gave it back.

“Adjustment is the key here and I’m very proud of my boys for winning this win,” said La Salle mentor Juno Sauler. “”It’s only a matter of consistency and I’m confident we can sustain it.”

The Red Warriors suffered a 5-6 win-loss slate after absorbing their third straight loss.

The UAAP board allowed also UE to play 6’8 Charles Mammie in this game after his two-game suspension was reduced to one game.

“We were shocked to see Mammie in uniform because we have to adjust our game plan,” admitted Sauler. “We practiced two games and then all of the sudden, we will change everything and that is hard.”

Mammie collected 20 rebounds in his return from suspension and scored 11 points, while Roi Sumang and JM Noble had 17 each for the Red Warriors.

Individual Scores:

DLSU (75) – Perkins 22, Teng 17, Vosotros 16, Van Opstal 9, T. Torres 6, Revilla 3, N. Torres 2, De La Paz 0, Montalbo 0, Reyes 0, Salem 0

UE (65) – Noble 17, Sumang 17, Jumao-as 13, Mammie 11, Casajeros 2, Javier 2, Sumido 2, Alberto 1, Flores 0, Guion 0, Hernandez 0, Santos 0

Quarter Scores:

(DLSU-UE)
14-21, 30-35, 41-45, 56-56, 75-65

Joescoundrel
09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
NU, La Salle bolster UAAP Final 4 drive

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:34 pm | Wednesday, September 4th, 2013

Streaking National University grabbed solo lead (9-3) after blasting University of the Philippines, 79-62, while La Salle claimed a share of second (8-4) by forging a 75-65 overtime win against a University of the East side that got a reprieve in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

While both winners propped up their Final Four bids, Ateneo absorbed a huge blow as the UAAP Board slapped a one-game suspension on coach Bo Perasol for figuring in a postgame altercation with La Salle fan JJ Atayde.

But Perasol said his fourth-running Blue Eagles remain confident when the defending champions go for a crucial win against the Warriors on Sunday.

“Our players are still raring to go,” said Perasol, adding that assistant Sandy Arespacochaga will call the shots in his absence. “I believe that every time our team is down, our players become better. The direction of the team is still in our hands.”

Perasol nearly stormed the stands as Atayde heckled him while heading into the dugout after the game won by the Green Archers over the Blue Eagles, 66-64, last Sunday.

Atayde also got banned for the rest of the season for his unruly conduct.

“The mission-vision of the UAAP is to promote sportsmanship,” league secretary Malou Isip said after the Board’s emergency meeting yesterday. “We want to be consistent on that. From the players to the coaches and officials, they should observe good behavior.”

Ray Parks exploded for 30 points on top of 10 rebounds and five assists as the Bulldogs cruised to their sixth straight victory.

“Getting the No. 1 spot is a false sense of security because the standings are tight,” said coach Eric Altamirano after his Bulldogs secured at least a playoff for a semifinal slot.

The Archers shot a perfect 6-of-6 from the field in overtime to pull away from the Warriors, who had African center Charles Mammie suiting up after the UAAP Board granted UE’s appeal to reduce his suspension from two games to one just moments before the game .

The scores:

First Game

NU 79—Parks 30, Mbe 14, Javillonar 6, Alolino 6, Alejandro 6, Khobuntin 5, Villamor 4, De Guzman 4, Rosario 2, Javelona 2, Roño 0, Porter 0, Neypes 0.

UP 62—Soyud 17, Marata 13, Desiderio 8, Lao 6, Gallarza 4, Ball 4, Wong 3, Pascual 3, Paras 2, Harris 2, Asilum 0, Amar 0.

Quarters: 24-19, 43-36, 64-48, 79-62

Second Game

LA SALLE 75—Perkins 22, Teng 17, Vosotros 16, Van Opstal 9, T. Torres 6, Revilla 3, N. Torres 2, Salem 0, Reyes 0, Montalbo 0, Dela Paz 0.

UE 65—Sumang 17, Noble 17, Jumao-as 13, Mammie 11, Sumido 2, Javier 2, Casajeros 2, Alberto 1, Olayon 0, Santos 0, Pujante 0, Hernandez 0, Guion 0, Flores 0.

Quarters: 14-21, 30-35, 41-44, 56-56 (reg.), 75-65 (OT)

red_engr1987
09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Warriors end final four chase as Eagles shut down Sumang late

The Ateneo Blue Eagles rallied from a double-digit deficit to knock the University of the East Red Warriors out of the final four race, 77-72, strengthening their postseason chances in the UAAP Season 76 men's basketball tournament, Sunday, at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The Eagles (7-5) rebounded from a 66-64 loss against the DLSU Green Archers last week and have now won six of their last seven games. The Red Warriors (6-7), however, lost their fourth straight game and will miss the postseason for the fourth straight year since 2009.

Assistant coach Sandy Arespacochaga said that his players might've been shaky in the first half owing to "gigil" coming into the game. However, he credited their second half adjustments for the win.

"We gave up too many points in the first half, so we played better defense on Roi Sumang, specifically. The players stepped up on defense and we were able to follow the defensive game plan that coach Bo [Perasol] wanted us to do," he said.

Arespacochaga took over head coaching duties from Bo Perasol today as the latter was hit with a one-game ban. According to him, the suspension though didn't have any adverse effects on the team's performance today. "We have a veteran group of guys who know what this home stretch is about," said Arespacochaga.

Deep into the fourth quarter and facing a 10-point deficit, Gino Jumao-as' penetration, combined with pressure defense from the Warriors, netted UE seven straight points, 72-69. The Eagles gave up the ball for the third straight time and Roi Sumang went for a layup. Instead, he missed and remained on the ground, clutching his right knee. The Eagles played on, and after a controversial non-call on a possible backcourt violation, they found Kiefer Ravena for a baseline cut, 74-69.

With a minute left, JR Sumido drove to make it a three-point game. But Ateneo was able to milk the clock before UE were forced to foul Chris Newsome. The rookie forward made both tries with 26 ticks left, sealing the win for the Ateneo.

The Eagles (7-5) rebounded from a 66-64 loss against the DLSU Green Archers last week and have now won six of their last seven games. The Red Warriors lost their fourth straight game.

In the first quarter, Roi Sumang scored off nifty drives and was fouled from long range, putting up seven of UE's first nine points. Meanwhile, the Eagles couldn't buy a bucket from anywhere on the floor, 9-2.

With five minutes to play, Ateneo began to score off forced turnovers. Coupled with fouls that put UE over the penalty, the Eagles went on an 11-4 run and evened the game at 13-13 on a Von Pessumal trey. However, the Warriors went 3-of-5 from the free throw line in the last 2:33, ensuring a 17-14 lead after the first period.

Sumang was hot from the perimeter in the second quarter, complementing Dan Alberto as the pair scattered shots from the outside. While the Eagles had trouble finishing in the lane, UE went on an 8-0 run to take a 29-20 lead.

Ateneo continued eking out points from the line until a Poy Erram cut at 3:33 gave them their first field goal in the last five minutes, 31-25. But UE had other plans as they denied the Eagles any more field goals for the rest of the period, instead sending Kiefer Ravena to the charity stripe. Meanwhile, Sumang and Mammie tag-teamed for the Warriors' last 13 points, ending the half with a 44-34 lead.

At halftime, Sumang racked up 20 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the field, leading the Warriors' 17-of-37 (45.9 percent) clip. In contrast, Ateneo made just three field goals in the second period for a 8-of-30 (26.7 percent) outing thus far. They were kept alive by a 17-of-22 free throw shooting mark (77.3 percent), led by Ravena's 7-of-8 makes.

Ravena bounced back hard in the third quarter, making difficult shots during a 14-3 run fueled by pushing the ball off defensive stops. Four minutes into the frame, a basket by Juami Tiongson gave Ateneo their first lead of the game, 48-47.

At that point UE pushed back, as Gino Jumao-as stopped the bleeding with a baseline drive with 5:12 on the clock. Both teams then traded blows at the rim, as the Eagles kept a 56-55 edge after the third period.

The Eagles let loose a 11-5 volley to start the fourth quarter, as Nico Elorde and Chris Newsome capitalized in the open court for Ateneo, and established a 67-60 lead. UE looked to rally after Sumang found Mammie for a two-handed touchdown, but Ryan Buenafe took it back by hitting a three-pointer on the next possession. Another Warriors turnover led to a Ravena fast break, opening up the Eagle's first double-digit lead, 72-62, with four and a half minutes left.

Ateneo finished the game shooting 25-of-64 (39.1 percent), while UE went 25-of-69 (36.2 percent). The free throw battle was close as well, with the Eagles making 25-of-33 (75.8 percent) against the Warriors' 18-of-30 (60 percent).

Ateneo imposed an 22-7 margin on fast break points.

Sumang scored 27 points, all coming in the first three quarters of the game, on 10-of-22 shooting. The point guard also issued five assists. Charles Mammie registered 11 points and 17 rebounds. Gino Jumao-as and Dan Alberto notched 10 points each.

UE's Ralf Olivares also sat out today's match as he carried out the second of his two-game suspension. - RAF, GMA News

The scores:

ADMU 77: Ravena 22, Newsome 19, Buenafe 9, Elorde 7, Tiongson 6, Pessumal 5, Erram 5, Golla 4, Tolentino 0, Enriquez 0

UE 72: Sumang 27, Mammie 11, Jumao-as 10, Alberto 10, Noble 5, Santos 4, Sumido 2, Hernandez 2, Javier 1, Olayon 0, Pujante 0, Flores 0, Casajeros 0

Quarters: 14-17, 34-44, 56-55, 77-72

Dark Knight
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
sayang. Still Sumang for MVP.

red_engr1987
09-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Ateneo faces forfeiture of UE win after banned Perasol allegedly seen at game
By Reuben Terrado
September 09, 2013, 04:32 pm

Ateneo coach Bo Perasol was allegedly spotted at the MOA Arena in violation of league rules. Jerome Ascano

ATENEO is facing forfeiture of Sunday’s victory over University of the East after suspended coach Bo Perasol was allegedly spotted at the Mall of Asia Arena during their UAAP men's basketball game.

A league official said UE has asked the UAAP board to look into the alleged presence of Perasol somewhere inside the MOA Arena on Sunday while the game was ongoing.

The official also said UE had photo evidence that Perasol was at the arena and was even seen singing Ateneo’s alma mater song at the end of the game.

Another photo, supposedly in the possession of UE, showed league deputy commissioner Ato Badolato telling Perasol to leave the venue during the game, the source added.

The Red Warriors lost the game, 72-77, and were eliminated from the Final Four race following their defeat to the Blue Eagles.

Another source confirmed that UAAP rules prohibit suspended team personnel from showing up during games, and that a forfeiture of won matches is the likely sanction for such infractions.

The issue is expected to be taken up during the next regular UAAP board meeting which was moved from Monday to Thursday.

Perasol was not on the bench during Sunday’s match after being slapped with a one-game suspension for a run-in with a fan at the end of the La Salle-Ateneo encounter last September 1.

The decision could have a bearing on both the Final Four hopes of Ateneo and UE, which could have its Final Four hopes revived if the Blue Eagles' win is overturned.

On the other hand, the Blue Eagles are still in a precarious situation as they are in a tie for fourth place with University of Santo Tomas on 7-5 win-loss slates.

Ateneo, however, is still in the hunt for a twice-to-beat advantage.

ghost09
09-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Good Read . Can't help but feel sorry for the boys , so much potential for this batch of warriors, we fell short again.

To JR Sumido , Jai Flores , JM Noble , Adrian Santos , Ralf Olivarez , Lord Casajeros - Thank you donning the red and white . Thank you for all your contributions to the team.

Hope to see a better warriors team next year. Whoever the coach or players may be -- tuloy parin ang laban ng mga anak ni Lualhati

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09/09/13/fall-ue-red-warriors

COLUMN: The fall of the UE Red Warriors

By Rick Olivares
Posted at 09/09/2013 1:43 PM | Updated as of 09/09/2013 2:21 PM
Inside the UE Red Warriors’ locker room after their loss to Ateneo

The locker room of the UE Red Warriors was like a morgue. Minutes after being eliminated from Final Four contention by Ateneo, the men in red and white forlornly filed inside where they could let out their emotions.

Ralf Olivares, unable to suit up as he served out the last game of his suspension, was beside himself. He sobbed uncontrollably at being both unable to help his team while regretting his actions that led to his suspension.

Veterans Jai Flores, Adrian Santos and JM Noble sat with their eyes wide open. Shock does that. This was their final UAAP campaign. The season that began with so much promise ended with a sickening thud.

Charles Mammie shook his head and buried his face in a huge towel.

A couple of other players sobbed. Roi Sumang, in a wheelchair and his knee wrapped in a protective brace rested his head on his hand. He took an awkward shot and fell awkwardly. He felt a pop and the first thing he thought of, “Huwag naman sana. Kailangan pa ako ng team.”

During the singing of the school hymn, UE head coach Boycie Zamar bit his lip. His eyes watered a bit but he knew he had to be strong. He knows the bittersweet taste of defeat. He began his UE career with two championships before UP and Ateneo closed out those four consecutive finals appearances with a pair of stinging losses.

“Guys,” he said in a tone that had not changed all season (it was one of encouragement). “Let’s gather around.”

“We gave it our best but it wasn’t enough,” he summed up. “Lumaban tayo at pinakita natin na hindi na tayo basta basta talunan. Hold your head high. Pag labas niyo dito, hold your head up high.”

That was one of the three oft repeated quotes of UE’s season.

When Zamar came in as a mid-season replacement for former teammate Jerry Codinera, he wanted his players to have fun, play with pride and to have a change in attitudes. The Red Warriors had tuned out Codinera. The losing wasn’t fun. Basketball wasn’t fun. Some had begun to wonder if they should have gone elsewhere.

Zamar, who ran the one-spot as a player, was essentially the extension of his coaches back then. So it prepared him for life after his playing career was over.

Under Zamar, he has presided on arguably two of the most exciting Red Warriors teams in college basketball history. He first coached that team of Paul Artadi, Ronald Tubid and James Yap, but that team fell apart in the Final Four.

Now, he has this team as led by Sumang, Mammie and Olivares that helped win six pre- and post-UAAP tournaments heading into this Season 76. They all know that this is the one that matters. Zamar embraced the tag of contender after having won the Filoil pre-season tourney. Their coach and his team long to break that long championship drought that has spanned close to three decades. In that span of time, every school save for Adamson and NU have surpassed the Red Warriors in terms of achievements.

“We are losers,” he constantly reminded his team in order not to get cocky. “We only had three wins last year. Remember where we came from and be humble.”

And that was part of the problem. Under their previous coaches, few of the current players got playing time. Perhaps save for Lord Casajeros, most players sat on the bench for much of their current career. Under Zamar, they blossomed but the lack of game experience hurt.

In what was a won game against UST, Adrian Santos foolishly threw away an inbound pass that led to a three-pointer and a quick swing by the Growling Tigers who took the game in two extension periods.

Under the glare of television, increased media exposure and the massive crowds, UE faltered.

“Sawang-sawa na ako matalo,” Sumang oft repeated during the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup and also during the early part of the UAAP season. At one point, he choked back the tears even after a win. After winning the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup, the Red Warriors liked their chances.

But even then I wondered if there was trouble ahead. If they had ambushed teams during the summer, the rest of the league was prepared for them come UAAP time.

For all their newfound confidence there were some potential landmines.

One of the problems with having Africans for centers is it displaces some players. In cases like UST or even San Beda or Perpetual Help, the locals have adjusted well. For Adamson and UE, key local components like Rodney Brondial and Chris Javier have at first been invisible.

Brondial adjusted after a while as it has allowed him to shoot jumpers of which he has. Javier has seen his confidence dip massively.

The ascension of Olivares as a second scoring threat for UE has seen Jay-R Sumido fail to summon his old form. He has been mostly an invisible player this campaign.

UE stayed head above water with a 4-3 record in the first round. The second round was another matter as suspensions to Mammie, Casajeros and Olivares hurt. Missed free throws and an inability to close out a game against FEU further hurt the Red Warriors. Since the mid-season break, UE has gone 1-4 with all their losses clearly winnable.

As Sumang sat in silence in that post-Ateneo match meeting inside their dugout, he couldn’t believe it was all over. Like Paul Lee before him, he had become a crowd favorite for his propensity for long bombs and incredible shots. The UAAP crowd appreciated him because he played much bigger than his height. After the loss to the Blue Eagles, every single Atenean and their coaching staff made their way to Sumang who typified UE’s struggle and carried the team on his small shoulders, to offer a sympathetic word and a handshake.

Inside the UE dugout, Zamar reminded his players once more, “Hindi pa tapos ‘to. We have two games to play. We have to still play hard. Wala na si Roi so we need everyone to step up. Let’s win this for ourselves and our community.”

“Taas ulo at noo pag labas natin.”

The team, save for Sumang who sat in the wheelchair, gathered for their traditional huddle cheer, “Sino ka?” asked Santos whose voice betrayed the collective disappointment.”

“Warriors ako.” the team answered.

Then the room fell silent.

red_engr1987
09-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Ateneo to ask UAAP to look into "violations" of suspended players

9 September 2013

Fr Maximino D. Rendon, CM
President, UAAP Season 76

Dear Fr. Rendon:

It has been brought to our attention that University of the East (UE) player Ralf Olivares was seen seated behind the UE bench at the Mall of Asia Arena yesterday, 8th September 2013, during the men’s basketball game between the Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles and the UE Red Warriors.

Given that Ralf Olivares had been issued a one-game suspension by the UAAP 76 Commissioner Chito Loyzaga, a suspension that he was supposed to serve yesterday, his presence behind the UE bench during yesterday’s game time is a violation of UAAP 76 Rules and Regulations, which under “Sanctions” says:

“a suspended athlete shall not be allowed to sit in the bench and its immediate vicinity during the period of suspension. A violation of the condition of the suspension shall result in the forfeiture of the game where such suspended athlete was found present”.

In view of this, the Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) respectfully requests that the UAAP 76 Board conduct an investigation of this matter and that the appropriate sanctions be imposed in accordance with the UAAP 76 Rules and Regulations.

In addition to the foregoing incident, we would like to seek clarification as well on the following games, among others, where suspended players were likewise seen in the immediate vicinity at times when they should have been serving a suspension:

· 25th August 2013, UAAP 76, Match #40 between UE and Far Eastern University (FEU) where RR Garcia was seen in the immediate vicinity of the FEU bench;

· 31st August 2013, UAAP 76, Match #44 between UE and National University (NU) where Charles Mammie and Lord Casajeros were seen in the immediate vicinity of the UE bench;

· 1st September 2013, UAAP Season 76, Match #46 between AdMU and De La Salle University where Thomas Torres was seen sitting on the DLSU bench and the immediate vicinity of the bench

· 4th September 2013, UAAP Season 76, Match #48 between UE and DLSU where Lord Casajeros was seen in the immediate vicinity of the UE bench.

Please also look into similar violations in games of the Juniors’ and Women’s Basketball Divisions.

We thank you for this opportunity to be heard and are hopeful for an outcome that would ultimately be favorable to the UAAP and its ideals.

Very truly yours,

RICHARD N PALOU
UAAP Board Member (AdMU)

Joescoundrel
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09/09/13/fall-ue-red-warriors

COLUMN: The fall of the UE Red Warriors

By Rick Olivares
Posted at 09/09/2013 1:43 PM | Updated as of 09/09/2013 2:21 PM
Inside the UE Red Warriors’ locker room after their loss to Ateneo

In what was a won game against UST, Adrian Santos foolishly threw away an inbound pass that led to a three-pointer and a quick swing by the Growling Tigers who took the game in two extension periods.

Under the glare of television, increased media exposure and the massive crowds, UE faltered.

Then the room fell silent.

Doesn't the author mean the FEU game here?

It was Gryan Mendoza who stole that Adi Santos inbound then made a three-pointer from the corner in the last 23-somethng seconds of the first overtime.

Then Roi missed the potential game-winning freethrow.

Then Mike Tolomia sent this game into a second overtime with a three-pointer from top of the key.

red_engr1987
09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
yep it was the second round FEU VS UE game 2OT, we lost that game and it hurts until now :(
according to Coach B. Zamar "malapit nasa pier nabangga pa at lumubog ang barko" sa mga tambay Pera na naging bato pa.

abcdef
09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I just had a face palm moment when the author wanted a dramatic ending. On this part

"The team, save for Sumang who sat in the wheelchair, gathered for their traditional huddle cheer, “Sino ka?” asked Santos whose voice betrayed the collective disappointment.”

“Warriors ako.” the team answered."

Warriors Ako (Facepalm) :)

otoman
09-12-2013, 12:10 AM
k

Dark Knight
09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
lapses maybe, forgivable....

red_engr1987
09-13-2013, 05:07 PM
UAAP Board: No forfeiture, but Perasol suspended again
By Chris Lagunzad | Yahoo PH Sports – Thu, Sep 12, 2013 5:08 PM PHT

Email
Share67
Print

tMANILA, Philippines - Ateneo head coach Bo Perasol during the matchup between the Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU) Blue Eagles and the University of the Philippines (UP) Fighting Maroons for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 76 held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, south of Manila on 21 July 2013. (George Calvelo/NPPA Images)

Yahoo! PH Sports/NPPA Images - tMANILA, Philippines - Ateneo head coach Bo Perasol during the matchup between the Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU) Blue Eagles and the University of the Philippines (UP) Fighting …more

(UPDATED) Ateneo gets off the hook, but Coach Bo Perasol still won't be around.

In a meeting to discuss University of the East's request for a clarification of the rules regarding team members serving suspensions, the UAAP Board decided against forfeiting the Blue Eagles' 77-72 win over UE last September 8.

Perasol was seen at the Mall of Asia before and after the match, in violation of a league rule prohibiting suspended coaches from being at the venue while they serving their suspicion. The penalty for violating this rule, according the rulebook, is forfeiture.

The following day, UE wrote a letter to the Board seeking clarification of the rule while pointing out Perasol's presence at the game.

However, the Board decided that since Perasol was at the venue, then his suspension did not take effect, and thus he will have to sit out Ateneo's next game.

“Coach Bo was in the game venue [MOA Arena] when he was supposed to be serving his suspension, that is why the board decided that he should be serving the penalty,” said Season 76 secretary treasurer Malou Isip of host Adamson University.

Thus, the Blue Eagles, who are currently in fifth place, will keep their 7-6 record entering their final game of the elimination round against UST on September 18. The Tigers (7-5) play third-running La Salle (9-4) on Saturday.

But like a good soldier, Perasol said he is ready to follow the order from the UAAP Board.

Several hours after the Board ordered him to re-serve a one-game suspension that will force him to miss the Blue Eagles’ crucial match next week, Perasol said he is accepting his fate.

“I am not in a position to defend myself or whether I think the decision is right or wrong. However, whatever it is, I will abide by it,” he stated in a text message to Yahoo! Philippines.

The Blue Eagles defeated the Growling Tigers 61-57 in their initial meeting last July 27 and Perasol sounded confident his charges can repeat the trick.

“My team will fight for that Final Four spot, with or without me at the helm,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the Board was not as forgiving with the FEU Lady Tamaraws, who had to forfeit five won games after one of their players, Vangie Soriano, was found to have played in a commercial league during the season.

The Lady Tamaraws, who had been tied for first with National University with identical 12-2 records, thus fell to 7-7 and are not yet assured of a Final Four slot with fifth-running University of the Philippines (6-7) lurking just half-a-game behind.

Joescoundrel
09-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Archers repulse Tigers

La Salle forges playoff for No. 2 spot vs FEU

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:53 pm | Saturday, September 14th, 2013

LA SALLE pulled off a surprise second-round sweep to earn a shot at the last semifinal bonus in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Drawing another clutch outing from Jeron Teng, the Green Archers downed the University of Santo Tomas Tigers, 69-64, to wrap up their elimination run at 10-4 and forge a winner-take-all match for the twice-to-beat advantage against Far Eastern University.

“We never thought of it,” coach Juno Sauler said of the Archers’ perfect 7-0 run in the second half of the eliminations. “There wasn’t really any adjustment. It’s what we did right from the start. It just took time working on what we need to work on.”

The Archers wound up in a three-way tie on top with National University and FEU, but the Bulldogs clinched the No. 1 spot and the first semifinal bonus due to a superior quotient.

Teng unloaded 19 points, the last four inside the final 54.2 seconds that helped the Archers quell the Tigers’ late surge.

UST fell into a share of fourth place with idle Ateneo at 7-6 and the two squads, both finalists last season, will dispute the last Final Four berth on the last day of eliminations on Wednesday. The winner will advance against the Bulldogs in the semifinals.

The Archers and the Tamaraws will clash in the other semifinal duel, making their playoff for the Final Four bonus next weekend a start of a virtual best-of-three duel.

Teng finished with a double-double by also grabbing 11 boards, while Norbert Torres came out big with 14 points and 13 rebounds.

Earlier, University of the East snapped a four-game losing skid with a 77-60 drubbing of Adamson in a battle of eliminated teams.

Juniors action

In juniors action, the NU Bullpups clinched an outright championship slot after completing a 14-0 elimination sweep as Ateneo’s Thirdy Ravena bagged the Most Valuable Player award.

John Cauilan (23 points, 13 rebounds), Hubert Cani (21 points, 6 assists) and Mark Dyke (18 points, 20 rebounds) led the Bullpups past the Blue Eaglets, 82-81, in overtime.

The Eaglets finished with a second-best 11-3 card and will hold a twice-to-beat edge in the stepladder semifinals.

Ravena bagged the top individual plum after amassing 79.57 statistical points (SPs) with averages of 18.7 points, 11.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists.

Cheerdance up
Meanwhile, the league takes a break from basketball action as the cheerdance competition gets going today at Mall of Asia Arena.

University of the Philippines will vie for a fourth straight crown in the blockbuster event where FEU, NU and UST have also been tagged as favorites.

NU hopes to finally nail the top plum after an overhaul of its program this season.

“That’s our mission, to join the best of this 19-year-old cheerdance league,” said NU assistant coach Gabby Bajacan.

The scores:

First Game

UE 77–Mammie 24, Galanza 17, Olivares 11, Casajeros 8, Alberto 7, Jumao-as 6, Santos 2, Noble 2, Pujante 0, Javier 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0.

ADAMSON 60–Trollano 15, Monteclaro 10, Iñigo 6, Cabrera 6, Brondial 6, Agustin 6, Cruz 5, Sewa 3, Petilos 2, Abrigo 1, Garcia 0, Cabigas 0.

Quarters: 11-13, 43-38, 62-55, 77-60

Second Game

LA SALLE 69–Teng 19, N. Torres 14, Vosotros 11, Perkins 7, Van Opstal 6, Revilla 6, T. Torres 3, Salem 3, Reyes 0, Montalbo 0, Dela Paz 0.

UST 64–Abdul 18, Mariano 16, Teng 10, Bautista 6, Sheriff 5, Ferrer 5, Lo 2, Daquioag 2, Pe 0, Faundo 0.
Quarters: 15-13, 39-30, 53-45, 69-64

red_engr1987
09-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Mammie's sterling game carries UE over Adamson

Olmin Leyba | Updated Saturday September 14, 2013 - 6:03pm

0 0 Google +0 0

MANILA, Philippines – Charles Mammie dished out a monster performance while seldom-used Bong Galanza filled in for injured Roi Sumang as University of the East tripped Adamson, 77-60, Saturday in the UAAP Season 76 men's basketball tourney at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Mammie banged in 24 points and hauled down 24 rebounds while Galanza stepped up with 17 markers, spiked by three triples, as the duo led the Warriors' break-away in the fourth canto of the game featuring two ousted squads just battling for pride.

The Warriors snapped a four-game slide and picked up their sixth win in 13 games while the Falcons absorbed their second straight loss for 4-10 overall in what's likely to be the coach Leo Austria's farewell game with AdU.

"It's been a month of struggle for us. This win is important because it not only put us back on track but also enabled us to get back at Adamson, which beat us in the first round," said UE coach Boycie Zamar in Filipino.

The Warriors suffered a spate of misfortunes in the last 30 days, missing Mammie, Ralf Olivares, and Lord Casajeros on suspensions in crucial matches that stymied their bid for a Final Four.

UE finally kissed its semis aspirations goodbye when it lost to Ateneo last Sunday, 72-77, a game that later led to some boardroom debates due to the presence of suspended Ateneo coach Bo Perasol and banned UE player Olivares in the venue.

Warriors ace Sumang suffered a strained right calf muscle in that game. He came in uniform Sunday but Zamar decided to give him a rest.

"He can play but we don't want to risk aggravation. Somebody has to fill his shoes and fortunately Galanza was there, as well as Ralf (Olivares), (Lord) Casajeros, it was really a collective effort," said Zamar.

Olivares, back after a two-game suspension, added 11 markers while Casajeros chipped in eight.

Celedonio Trollano shot 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for AdU, which sent off graduating players Michael Agustin, Eric Cabigas, Rodney Brondial, Harry Petilos, Roider Cabrera, and Gian Abrigo.

Austria is possibly in this list as he had already expressed his intention to leave after this season. Austria had piled a record of 40-61 in seven seasons as AdU coach and steered the Falcons to three Final Four appearances.

"Right now I'm really sure (about not returning) and I think I deserve to take a break," said Austria, whose contract with ADU expires next month. "And there's no indication that they want me back; nobody's talking to me regarding my stint with Adamson. Maybe it's an indication that they want change."

The Scores:

UE 77 - Mammie 24, Galanza 17, Olivares 11, Casajeros 8, Alberto 7, Jumao-as 6, Santos 2, Noble 2, Pujante 0, Javier 0, Hernandez 0, Flores 0.

AdU 60 - Trollano 15, Monteclaro 10, Inigo 6, Cabrera 6, Brondial 6, Agustin 6, Cruz 5, Sewa 3, Petilos 2, Abrigo 1, Garcia 0, Cabigas 0.

QuarterscoresL 11-13, 43-38, 62-55, 77-60.

red_engr1987
09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
SUMANG-LESS UE GETS VICTORY OVER ADAMSON
By Kali Quiñones Published: Sep/14/2013 4:28 PM PHT

MANILA -- The UE Red Warriors bucked the absence of team leader Roi Sumang to register a 77-60 win over the Adamson Falcons on Saturday's UAAP basketball action at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Led by the 24 points and 24 rebounds of Charles Mammie, the Red Warriors dominated this year's hosts as seldom used Bong Galanza poured in 17 points for the Boycie Zamar-coached squad.

"Yung character ng team andun this time," said Zamar, whose team led in almost all statistical categories.

The Warriors shot 39.5% from the field, outrebounded the Falcons 50-46, and had more assists 16-12. UE improved their record to 6-7 with the victory.

Zamar admitted that Sumang could have played the game but he opted not to use the cager, who is still recovering from a right knee strain that he sustained in their last game.

"He can play. But somebody had to play his shoes. Andyan naman si Galanza, (Ralf) Oliveros at (Lord) Casajeros. It was a collective effort," relayed the Red Warriors mentor.

UE used a solid fourth quarter to draw distance from the Falcons, who ended their Season 76 campaign with a 4-10 mark. They did little improvement as they can only better their Season 75 record of 3-11.

Celedonio Trollano paced Adamson with his own double-double of 15 points and 12 boards. While Ryan Monteclaro was the only other Adamson player, who came up in double-digit scoring with his 10 markers.

The match was believed to be Falcons head coach Leo Austria's last game for the San Marcelino-based squad.

The Red Warriors will wind up their season on Wednesday against the UP Fighting Maroons at the SMART-Araneta Coliseum.

http://www.solarsportsdesk.ph/bk/bkn...y-over-adamson

Joescoundrel
09-19-2013, 10:26 AM
UST Tigers end Eagles’ rule, gain Final 4

By Jasmine W. Payo

2:34 am | Thursday, September 19th, 2013

University of Santo Tomas claimed the last Final Four berth while turning Ateneo from a five-time champion into a fifth placer yesterday.

Surviving Ateneo’s repeated rallies, the Tigers regained their bearings just in time to carve out an 82-74 triumph that ended the Blue Eagles’ dominant five-year reign in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Karim Abdul buried 25 points on top of nine rebounds and five blocks and Jeric Teng also nailed five clutch free throws inside the last 27 seconds to finish with 17 markers for the Tigers, who lost to the Eagles in their title clash last year.

“It’s a good feeling,” said coach Pido Jarencio after the Tigers secured the fourth spot at 8-6 in their winner-take-all match. “They beat us in the championship last year, now we kicked them out of the Final Four. It’s about time we have a new champion.”

The Tigers advanced against National University, which holds the No. 1 spot and the twice-to-beat advantage, at the start of the Final Four on Sunday.

Far Eastern University and La Salle will clash in the other pairing next week after they dispute the No. 2 spot and the last semifinal bonus this Saturday.

Aside from absorbing a heartbreaking exit, the Eagles also saw an end to their record run of consecutive Final Four appearance at 14.

Ateneo wiped out UST’s early 18-point cushion, but the Tigers started the fourth quarter with a 13-2 bomb that stretched a slim 52-51 edge to 65-53.

The Eagles, who played minus suspended coach Bo Perasol, closed in at 75-71 in the last 52.8 seconds but the Tigers proved steady at the foul line by nailing all but one of eight attempts in the last 35 seconds.

Earlier, University of the East survived University of the Philippines, 76-73.

The Eagles and the Warriors finished tied for fifth with similar 7-7 records. The Maroons, who had a 73-70 lead, with 1:50 left finished winless at 0-14.

The scores:

First Game

UE 76—Mammie 21, Casajeros 17, Olivares 12, Jumao-as 9, Alberto 7, Santos 6, Javier 4, Sumido 0, Noble 0, Galanza 0.

UP 73—Marata 22, Soyud 15, Lao 10, Suarez 6, Ligad 5, Gallarza 4, Asilum 3, Wong 2, Harris 2, Ball 2, Gingerich 1, Amar 1, Paras 0, Desiderio 0.

Quarters: 20-19, 44-34, 66-55, 76-73

Second Game

UST 82—Abdul 25, Teng 17, Daquioag 13, Ferrer 10, Mariano 7, Bautista 6, Sheriff 4, Pe 0, Lo 0, Lao 0.

ATENEO 74—Ravena 20, Newsome 13, Elorde 12, Buenafe 9, Pessumal 8, Golla 4, Erram 4, Tolentino 2, Tiongson 2, Capacio 0.

Quarters: 25-14, 39-26, 52-51, 82-74

red_engr1987
09-19-2013, 02:13 PM
UAAP: UE ends season sans Final Four spot; UP still winless
by inboundpass
Thursday, 19 September 2013 Be the first one to comment

by JOSEF T. RAMOS

DESPITE missing the Final Four, University of the East (UE) salvaged enough pride in its last game by scoring a 76-73 win over University of the Philippines (UP) on Wednesday in the second round of UAAP Season 76 men’s basketball at the Araneta Coliseum.

Although the Fighting Maroons managed to make it a close game in the last period, the Red Warriors stood tall in crunch time to finish the elimination round with a 7-7 win-loss slate which was not enough for a quarterfinal slot.

“Although we didn’t qualify in the final four, the players remain aggressive in playing basketball today. They wanted to end the season on high note and they did,” said UE head coach Boyzie Zamar, whose team was tagged as a dark horse before the 76 season started.

“It was very painful for us but we’ll be back.”

The Red Warriors, who didn’t field in the injured playmaker Shej Roi Sumang, avoided a huge collapse in the payoff period when the UP Fighting Maroons used a blistering 18-10 run capped by graduating big man Raul Soyud’s 10 fourth quarter points.

Graduating swingman Lord Casajeros, who scored 11 of his 17 points in the second half, also delivered two big shots late in the fourth quarter to save the Red Warriors from the jaws of defeat.

Along with Casajeros, it was also the last UAAP game for team captain Adi Santos, Ralf Olivares, JM Noble, JR Sumido and Jai Flores.

6’8 hulking center Charles Mammie scattered 21 points and collected 18 rebounds to lead UE, while Ralf Olivares had 12 points along with four rebounds and three steals and Gino Jumao-as chipped in nine points.

Samuel Marata posted 22 points to lead the Fighting Maroons, who ended Season 76 winless in 14 games, a lowly feat that they have amassed every 3 years (Season 70, Season 73 and this season).

UP will lose the trio of Marata, Soyud and Moriah Gingerich to graduation.

Individual Scores:

UE (76) – Mammie 21, Casajeros 17, Olivares 12, Jumao-as 9, Alberto 7, Santos 6, Javier 4, Sumido 0, Pujante 0, Noble 0, Hernandez 0, Guion 0, Gallanza 0

UP (73) – Marata 22, Soyud 15, Lao 10, Suarez 6, Ligad 5, Gallarza 4, Asilum 3, Wong 2, Harris 2, Ball 2, Gingerich 1, Amar 1, Paras 0, Desiderio 0

Quarter Scores:

(UE-UP)
20-19, 44-34, 66-55, 76-73

red_engr1987
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Road clear for Chua return as Zamar admits he declined offer to coach Ginebra

October 9, 2013, 08:28 pm

Share it!

Road clear for Chua return as Zamar admits he declined offer to coach Ginebra
“Yes, (Ginebra job) was offered to me on a silver platter, pero I have to protect my integrity and be honest with myself,” says Boycie Zamar said. “Ayaw ko namang talikuran yung kontrata ko sa UE. Saka let’s put it this way - I still have to learn the ropes." Jerome Ascano

BOYCIE Zamar confirmed on Wednesday that he has turned down an offer to coach Barangay Ginebra, clearing the way for the return of Alfrancis Chua or the retention of Ato Agustin despite a dismal first season as coach of the PBA's most popular ballclub.

Zamar, head coach of University of the East and an assistant to Agustin at Ginebra, told Spin.ph he has talked to San Miguel Corp. big boss Ramon S. Ang, Ginebra governor Robert Non, and team manager Chua three weeks ago informing them of his decision not to accept the offer.

Reportedly the personal choice of Ang to coach Ginebra, Zamar said he has decided to honor his contract with UE for next season but was also honest enough to admit that he feels he is not ready for such a high-profile coaching job.

“Yes, it was offered to me on a silver platter, pero I have to protect my integrity and be honest with myself,” Zamar said. “Ayaw ko namang talikuran yung kontrata ko sa UE. Saka let’s put it this way - I still have to learn the ropes."

As early as July when Chua resigned over differences with former SMC sports director Noli Eala, Spin.ph has already reported that officials have already informed the team that Zamar had been picked to coach Ginebra next season while Agustin took over in an interim basis.

[For full story, see Zamar next in line for Ginebra job]

However, Zamar said he has decided to complete his "unfinished business" with the Warriors, who fell short of reaching the Final Four this season.

“Hindi naman sa hindi ko kinuha pero sinabi ko lang kila boss RSA (Ang), Boss Robert (Non) and Coach Al (Chua) na may obligasyon pa ako sa UE,” said Zamar. “May responsibilidad pa ako sa UE at gusto ko pang matuto.”

Zamar said Ang gave him a pat on the back after the talk.

“Natuwa siya kasi honest daw ko. Kung iba daw yun, susunggaban agad yung trabaho,” said the 47-year old Illonggo, who will now be reuinited with his son, Paul, at the UE-Cebuana Lhuillier team in the PBA D-League Foundation Cup starting on October 24.
“Ang sa akin naman, hindi ako pwedeng tumanggap ng tumanggap ng trabaho … kung may obligasyon pa ako sa isa,” he said with a smile.

Asked if he is not afraid to pass up on a golden opportunity to coach the most popular team in the country, Zamar gave an honest response.

“Sa akin, kung darating ulit 'yun, darating 'yun. Focus na lang muna ako sa unfinished business ko sa UE and hopefully make myself better,” he added.

Zamar's decision now clears the way for the return of Chua, who was convinced to move up to the team manager's position after he resigned as coach at the end of the Philippine Cup.

There has been a strong clamor among diehard fans for Chua's return, more so after the Gin Kings tumbled out at the quarterfinal stage of the Governors Cup in Agustin's first conference as coach.

However, it was Agustin who has been running the team since Ginebra returned to practice early this week.

“Ato has been running the team pa since nung nagbalik ensayo sila,” said Non. “Wala namang changes.”

Follow the writer on Twitter: @snowbadua