PDA

View Full Version : Can't Wait for The coming UAAP Season...Go Go Go DLSU

Greenheart
01-14-2013, 01:05 AM
I really can not wait for the coming 2013 UAAP Season. I believe this year we will be able to get the title at long last. We have last year's UAAP Rookie of the Year, our team is almost intact, and we were able to recruit one of the hottest prized PG.

izon
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Hopefully it might happen

bigfreeze_bibby
01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I really can not wait for the coming 2013 UAAP Season. I believe this year we will be able to get the title at long last. We have last year's UAAP Rookie of the Year, our team is almost intact, and we were able to recruit one of the hottest prized PG.

No matter how strong the line up is both on paper and in an actual game, it will never be a guarantee on winning a championship or even games my friend. Let's all relax for now. The FilOil and Father Martin's are just around the corner and probably will start around March so that all of can see how the team's dynamic will change for this coming UAAP season.

LION
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
So true, bigfreeze. Remember that NU also built an all-star team last year but that was still not enough. Having the right materials is a big factor of course, but team chemistry and dynamics are also very important. Remember that DLSU also brought in the best and brightest HS players during the time of Franz and Dindo but that did not translate into championships for DLSU. They cherry-picked from the RP youth team and recruited the “best” but some of them eventually left the team because of team dynamics, i.e., Sam Marata and Joel Tolentino. The other blue chip recruits, like Jarelan Tampus and Almond Vosotros are playing on and off, sometimes brilliant and sometimes disappointing.

But, definitely, the current crop of recruits and resident players will give DLSU a stronger chance this year.

Sam Miguel
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
No matter how strong the line up is both on paper and in an actual game, it will never be a guarantee on winning a championship or even games my friend. Let's all relax for now. The FilOil and Father Martin's are just around the corner and probably will start around March so that all of can see how the team's dynamic will change for this coming UAAP season.

Bigfreeze, more than the manpower, I fully agree with your sentiments on team dynamic. In a tournament as competitive as the UAAP, it is tough to come together as a team. Over the last five years, the Ateneo has put together not just strong rosters. We were held together by the sheer force of will it seemed of our greatest recruit ever, Norman Black. His vision of how a team should be permeated every facet of the Blue Eagles. Some tough choices had to be made over the 5-Peat, and he made them, and because of that he kept the dynamic he wanted, the dynamic that allowed for success.

In your case, Gee Abanilla is a great teacher who has yet to show that he can be a great coach. He is a good coach, and certainly knows his basketball, but he has to take that step to the next level. Franz Pumaren was the last Lasalle coach who crossed that threshold and became a great coach. A lot has been said about the events of 2005 and 2006, but those can never take away from the success of 1998-2001. Abanilla has to take that next step, and impose his will on this Lasalle team, and build the dynamic that he wants. He will have to make his own tough decisions, and live with the consequences, just like Black did.

Outside of the Ateneo you guys were the last UAAP champion. That was still very much a team that had that winning dynamic, that moved as a team in the way that winning teams do. This is a different UAAP of course, but still there is no selling short the dynamic that drives success. Talent may make you look good, but a winning dynamic spells success, and without it even all the talent in the world will forever be locked in that limbo called "potential".

james_hunt
01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
, Sam Marata and Joel Tolentino r.

Lion, those two were taken out of the team due to problems with academics.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Bigfreeze, more than the manpower, I fully agree with your sentiments on team dynamic. In a tournament as competitive as the UAAP, it is tough to come together as a team. Over the last five years, the Ateneo has put together not just strong rosters. We were held together by the sheer force of will it seemed of our greatest recruit ever, Norman Black. His vision of how a team should be permeated every facet of the Blue Eagles. Some tough choices had to be made over the 5-Peat, and he made them, and because of that he kept the dynamic he wanted, the dynamic that allowed for success.

In your case, Gee Abanilla is a great teacher who has yet to show that he can be a great coach. He is a good coach, and certainly knows his basketball, but he has to take that step to the next level. Franz Pumaren was the last Lasalle coach who crossed that threshold and became a great coach. A lot has been said about the events of 2005 and 2006, but those can never take away from the success of 1998-2001. Abanilla has to take that next step, and impose his will on this Lasalle team, and build the dynamic that he wants. He will have to make his own tough decisions, and live with the consequences, just like Black did.

Outside of the Ateneo you guys were the last UAAP champion. That was still very much a team that had that winning dynamic, that moved as a team in the way that winning teams do. This is a different UAAP of course, but still there is no selling short the dynamic that drives success. Talent may make you look good, but a winning dynamic spells success, and without it even all the talent in the world will forever be locked in that limbo called "potential".

Hi Sam, yeah gotta agree with your points too that Coach Norman really had his imprints in your team. Even in TNT right now in the PBA, I saw resemblances of how the Blue Eagles are doing it on the defensive end. It is more appreciative now because big-name players are executing it and it really paves way for success (with the way they toyed with Rain or Shine). I am still wondering why MVP had to let Norman go (aside from the career step-up move perhaps that I think every coach would want at some point in their coaching career).

As for us in Taft, I trust our coaches that at some point, they'll get there. I believe that college basketball has always been 50-50 and a yin-yang wherein the coach's system has to be embedded at the players but at the same time, the coach has to have the tools that will make the system up and running. The players have to believe in the coach's system too so it's a cycle really since if both sides got the trust they wanted, the results will speak for itself later on via the silverwares won.

Joescoundrel
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
^ Papa Bigfreeze, I think the real reason MVP kicked Norman Black upstairs is to force Kid Cubao to take the coaching reins for the Blue Eagles. Kaya lang the gambit didn't work, at sadyang iba ang mahal ni Kid Cubao.

Seriously though, you guys have a great recruiting class coming in, and more talent and size still to come for the following years, and I can understand where Greenheart is coming from. Ganun din ako nung summer of 2008 when it became official that we got all the guys we wanted, and also in the bonfire of 2010 when Greg Slaughter was introduced. Konting pukpok na lang siguro on the part of Gee Abanilla, and I am looking forward to more good things to come from Juno Sauler and Jun Limpot as well.

Kami nga bungi-bungi na lineup eh, pero fight pa din para sa 6-Peat!

Toma tayo minsan nina Papa James.

david64
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
College ball, more than the pros, is a game of recruitment. My opinion, of course, but since the early 2000s, Ateneo always got the cream of the crop, and La Salle got the next best. While La Salle was able to maintain some competitiveness, we were never able to cross the threshold for the team-to-beat. We did okay, because after Mac Cardona, we still had Jayvee and Rico M. to lead the team, but after they left, we just did not have the players that could lift the team, just by being there.

You can call these players by the many names they go by; franchise players, difference makers, game changers, go-to-guys - we did not have these type of players. We had 10-16 players who were good; just not the ones that you could call any of those four mentioned above. Ateneo was able to get these type of players, so when Jayvee and Rico were done, we had big holes to fill. The last two years, we have been able to get players who will help get us to the next level, and Jeron has proven that he may be that player that all champion teams need. He's still a rookie, and will make rookie mistakes, but he will lead this La Salle team to the next level, make no mistake about that. He will also have with him guys like Thomas, and Gab Reyes, and yes, Mac Tallo; and the current recruits will help our front court tremendously.

Will Kib Montalbo be another 'franchise' player? We certainly hope so. There are also a few more 'parts' that will make this Green Archer team a formidable college team in the near future; some frontcourt players to help out Papot, Norbert, Yutien and Arnold. WHEN we find those parts, I think we can challenge Ateneo, UST and NU.

LION
01-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Lion, those two were taken out of the team due to problems with academics.

And they are both UPIS products, right?

watiwawa
01-20-2013, 03:20 AM
kinda cool that the team of rejects is considered to be the one on top.

izon
01-20-2013, 09:23 AM

It's not that they were intellectually challenged, I think they were more interested in the extra curricular activities and have neglected their studies.

nel
01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
kinda cool that the team of rejects is considered to be the one on top.

Not yet. The Archers haven't proven anything yet. If/when the team can translate that potential into a championship, then you'll be absolutely right. Until then, it's just a good team, as David said so aptly.

watiwawa
01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Not yet. The Archers haven't proven anything yet. If/when the team can translate that potential into a championship, then you'll be absolutely right. Until then, it's just a good team, as David said so aptly.

I'm talking about UST. Hehe La Salle was and never will be a team of rejects. Naging rejects lang mga player nila. Vigil Fortuna Teng Mariano all tried out first in DLSU before going gold. Hehe, wala lang :D

david64
01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm talking about UST. Hehe La Salle was and never will be a team of rejects. Naging rejects lang mga player nila. Vigil Fortuna Teng Mariano all tried out first in DLSU before going gold. Hehe, wala lang :D
These four players you mentioned are not rejects. Any of them could have made Team-A in La Salle, but things did not turn out that way, for one reason or another.

james_hunt
01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
It's not that they were intellectually challenged, I think they were more interested in the extra curricular activities and have neglected their studies.

Well said. They probably thought that being "star players" were reason enough to get special treatment from the school. Sayang...

james_hunt
01-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Yessir!

LION
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Yessir!

Sayang sila. Dapat lesson din ito sa mga players na hindi naman pang habang buhay ang basketball.

Sam Miguel
01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
These four players you mentioned are not rejects. Any of them could have made Team-A in La Salle, but things did not turn out that way, for one reason or another.

Might have also been a numbers game, with a lot of players at their position, Jeric Fortuna would have had to find time with Simon Atkins, Bader Malabes, Hyram Bagatsing, Almond Vosotros, Joel Tolentino and LA Revilla at various points in the backcourt. Louie Vigil, Jeric Teng and Aljon Mariano would have had to compete against Joshua Webb, Joseph Marata, maybe even Michael Pate, Martin Reyes and Brian Organ at that combo-forward spot. Those aren't particularly good odds. Going to UST got the lot of them into the UAAP Finals because they got to play on a team that had minutes for them (well, alright, except for Vigil). Also, I think Mariano was but 16 going on 17 when he tried out for Lasalle, not having made the Red Cubs NCAA roster in high school. At that age, as good as he may be now, no way he was going to be clearly a cut above the forwards the Green Archers had at that time.

bchoter
01-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Of the 3, Fortuna comes closest to a "reject" as LA Revilla was chosen over him. It must have been a difficult choice for the cocahing staff as, illness aside, both had stellar careers. Louie was already in DLSU when he decided he'll get more opportunities in UST. Aljon was offered a Team B slot so he can polish his game as well as develop his body. UST swooped in and offerred him a Team A slot. Jeric didn't consider DLSU seriously. The Tengs were not fans of the Pumarens. Their departure paved the way for Jeron to turn green

Mateen Cleaves
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM

What's your point about UPIS? For the record, both graduated from Reedley after SBP pirated them for the Youth team.

LION
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
My point, Mateen, is that they should not be having a hard time with their academics in college given their high school background. It’s meant to be a compliment to UPIS.

You could see this from my subsequent post, about giving more attention to academics because a career in basketball is fleeting.

wandos2008
01-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow La Salle throwing the net in the basketball sea and catching all te available top prospects here and abroad! What a great problem to have in terms of finalizing the line up.
In my count there are 2 more unannounced players suiting up for the green and white, a center from cebu and another is a 2-3-4 6'3 guy from the US! (pls correct me if Im wrong)

I guess, Amb. ECJ is building a dynasty of his own.

izon
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I think I know the one from Cebu. Can you name the 6'3" from the US ?

LaKazTaMa
01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
UAAP: Mbala to transfer to DLSU
JOB B. DE LEONJanuary 24, 2013 2:32pm

17-year old Benoit Mbala, a 6’7” Cameroonian who used to play for the South Western University Cobras, is taking his talents to the UAAP.

Multiple sources close to the De La Salle University men’s basketball team have confirmed that the African center has reached an agreement to transfer to Manila. However, he will not officially be a Green Archer, until he enrolls in May.

DLSU fan site Go Archers.com also tweeted a welcome message to the player.

The Green Archers count Mbala as their second major offseason acquisition following Bacolod-based prospect Kib Montalbo. Both players were also reportedly courted by their rivals, the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles.

Mbala gained nationwide interest after his performance in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League, where the Cobras, crowned this year’s CESAFI champions, Battled in the Final Four against Ateneo, the San Beda Red Lions and the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers.

The Cobras bowed out in the round with a 1-3 card, but Mbala impressed onlookers with his raw athleticism and shooting. His brief stint playing in Manila was highlighted by his 41 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks in SWU’s lone Final Four win in overtime against the eventual champions, UST.

Earlier in the month, SWU athletic director Ryan Aznar told the Sun Star Cebu that Mbala was staying with the CESAFI school, but did temper his words by saying, "If they [other schools] are really interested in Ben, they should talk to the school.

"If they are interested in Ben or any of our players, they should talk directly to us, not through the players or any of those who are close to them," he emphasized.

As a transfer student, Mbala would have to sit out the next UAAP season, before becoming eligible in the league. - AMD, GMA News

bchoter
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I think I know the one from Cebu. Can you name the 6'3" from the US ?Brother of the one who is reported to be transfering from Katipunan to Diliman?

bchoter
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
UAAP: Mbala to transfer to DLSU
JOB B. DE LEONJanuary 24, 2013 2:32pm

17-year old Benoit Mbala, a 6’7” Cameroonian who used to play for the South Western University Cobras, is taking his talents to the UAAP.

Earlier in the month, SWU athletic director Ryan Aznar told the Sun Star Cebu that Mbala was staying with the CESAFI school, but did temper his words by saying, "If they [other schools] are really interested in Ben, they should talk to the school.

"If they are interested in Ben or any of our players, they should talk directly to us, not through the players or any of those who are close to them," he emphasized.Naalala ko si Cindy Lauper sa mga katagang ito

LaKazTaMa
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
ito ba yun " Money changes Everything" tama b Sir ?

The_Big_Cat
01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
If my math is correct, Mbala will debut for DLSU in 2014. By 2014 wala na sila Paredes at Andrada. 2014 also marks the final playing year of Norbert Torres.

wandos2008
01-27-2013, 12:28 AM
I think I know the one from Cebu. Can you name the 6'3" from the US ?

As of now sir quiet muna tayo hanggang nag enroll mahirap pangunahan. Basta may T n T, ngayon M n M, next up is S n S! And the last letters will make DLSU an elite team over the years in my opinion.

Btw if Perkins will be allowed this year to suit up, coach gee's job in giving him minutes would be easier with the exit of Gotladera.

Sam Miguel
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
If my math is correct, Mbala will debut for DLSU in 2014. By 2014 wala na sila Paredes at Andrada. 2014 also marks the final playing year of Norbert Torres.

Didn't Papot Paredes come in the same year as his RP Youth teammate Norbert Torres? If so then why would Paredes be leaving a year ahead of Torres? Or did Torres come in later because he technically sat out three school years?

greencm
01-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Didn't Papot Paredes come in the same year as his RP Youth teammate Norbert Torres? If so then why would Paredes be leaving a year ahead of Torres? Or did Torres come in later because he technically sat out three school years?

If my recollection is correct, Papot did come in the same year as fellow RP youth members Marata, Tolentino, Banal, Torres and Manguera. He wasn't, however, lined up on his first year so he should still be eligible in 2014.

The_Big_Cat
01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

2009 - Paredes, Marata, Banal, Tolentino.

emenk
01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
i followed this guy's career, he came in 2009 but he only played in 2010 because he spent a year in team B. he can play until 2014.

Joescoundrel
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
i followed this guy's career, he came in 2009 but he only played in 2010 because he spent a year in team B. he can play until 2014.

Hindi ba pati si Yutien Andrada 2009 din, along with Arvie Bringas? Kasi their teammate Ryan Buenafe came into the UAAP in 2008, and he was only a year ahead of them. So tama si Big Cat, wala na si Andrada by 2014. How'bout Almond Vosotros, will he still be around in 2014?

Getting Ben Mbala was a major recruiting coup for Lasalle, although that considerably narrows down options of getting a second import, unless baguhin ang rules na hindi pwede pagsabayin on the floor ang dalawang foreign players. Ateneo made that mistake with Kirk Long and Vince Burke. Buti na lang hindi din naman all-star ang galing ni Burke.

emenk
01-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Hindi ba pati si Yutien Andrada 2009 din, along with Arvie Bringas? Kasi their teammate Ryan Buenafe came into the UAAP in 2008, and he was only a year ahead of them. So tama si Big Cat, wala na si Andrada by 2014. How'bout Almond Vosotros, will he still be around in 2014?

Getting Ben Mbala was a major recruiting coup for Lasalle, although that considerably narrows down options of getting a second import, unless baguhin ang rules na hindi pwede pagsabayin on the floor ang dalawang foreign players. Ateneo made that mistake with Kirk Long and Vince Burke. Buti na lang hindi din naman all-star ang galing ni Burke.

Tito Joe, i'm not sure with the other guys you mentioned. I'm also an Atenean just like you.

david64
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
If I may, Yutien will no longer be around in Season-77, but everyone else will still be ok. Almond, Papot, Oda and Norbert will be around for Season-77, thats their last year; if my memory serves me right.

Greenheart
02-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I read the other school's thread. They outplayed Boracay Rum. a PBA D-League team in a practice game. Seems like they are still in a strong contention for the throne.

james_hunt
02-16-2013, 01:29 PM
I read the other school's thread. They outplayed Boracay Rum. a PBA D-League team in a practice game. Seems like they are still in a strong contention for the throne.

They are the defending 5-peat champions. They know how to win...

izon
02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Latest addition to the Green Archer, Matt Salem. Latest addition to the coaching staff, Allan Caidic shooting coach.

LaKazTaMa
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Abanilla out as Sauler set to call shots for La Salle

Reuben Terrado

June 08, 2013, 02:32 pm

DE La Salle finds itself undergoing a drastic major coaching change exactly three weeks before the 76th season of the UAAP gets underway.

Juno Sauler has been elevated as head coach of the Green Archers in lieu of Gee Abanilla, who guided the school to a Final Four stint in his first season with La Salle last year.

A high-ranking La Salle official confirmed the report to Spin.ph but refused to be named pending an official announcement to be made by the school on Monday.

Abanilla had a 10-6 record in his lone season for La Salle with Sauler and Jun Limpot a part of his coaching staff.

His sudden departure comes just after the Archers suffered successive losses to end their campaign in the preseason Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup on a disappointing note, including a quarterfinal setback at the hands of San Beda.

One of those losses was to rival Ateneo at the end of the eliminations.

But there are also speculations Abanilla's departure has something to do with an impending re-organization within Petron, where he serves as one of Olsen Racela's deputies.

Sauler, a former Green Archer who suited up for the Taft-based school during the nineties, is not that known in basketball circles but has gained respect within the San Miguel Corp. basketball organization for his excellent work as one of Alfrancis Chua's assistants at Barangay Ginebra.

The soft-spoken Sauler once served as head coach of La Salle's women's team.

james_hunt
06-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The soft-spoken Sauler once served as head coach of La Salle's women's team.

He served as head coach of the 4-peat champions DLSU women's basketball team.

Joescoundrel
06-09-2013, 07:39 AM
PLAYERS SHOCKED

Gee returns to Petron; Sauler new DLSU coach

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

1:55 am | Sunday, June 9th, 2013

LA SALLE has tapped Marco Januz “Juno” Sauler as head coach of its men’s basketball team just three weeks before the start of the UAAP after Gee Abanilla, the Archers’ regular mentor, was recalled by Petron in the wake of a reported reorganization by San Miguel’s teams in the PBA.

Sauler had served as an assistant of Abanilla, a former Petron assistant coach, who steered the Archers back to the UAAP Final Four last season after finishing the eliminations with a 9-5 record.

“There’s no change really because coach Juno has been working with coach Gee and he knows the plays,” said Henry Atayde, La Salle’s representative to the UAAP Board. “Maybe there will just be a difference in the training method or the rotation of players.”

The Archers, led by chief gunner Jeron Teng, were surprised when team management made the announcement yesterday.

“We were all shocked,” Teng told the Inquirer yesterday. “We don’t know the whole story yet, but whatever it is, we just have to adjust to it. We still have to play our best. What the players really want is to just win.”

Sauler, who won three straight UAAP titles as coach of the Lady Archers starting in 1999, officially takes over on Monday.

Also a Ginebra deputy in the PBA, Sauler was part of Franz Pumaren’s coaching staff during La Salle’s glory years in the late ’90s.

“We just have to trust coach Juno because he’s not like a new face,” said La Salle big man Norbert Torres. “Coach Juno was there all throughout last year. I’m looking forward to how coach Juno will handle the team as the head coach because he was already so good as an assistant coach.”

La Salle will release an official statement on the coaching change tomorrow.

Abanilla served as La Salle mentor for only one season and finished with a personal 10-6 win-loss record in the UAAP.

“Petron is recalling [Abanilla] due to the reorganization that is happening,” said Atayde. With a report from Randolph Leongson

james_hunt
06-10-2013, 09:25 AM
^^ Si Jeron nag paka-showbiz na. Norbert's reply was more the sentiment of the team.

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Change in DLSU coaching staff and PE

SPORTS FOR ALL

By Philip Ella Juico

(The Philippine Star) | Updated June 12, 2013 - 12:00am

Last Sunday we had dinner with other De La Salle University (DLSU) alumni to meet DLSU’s basketball squad for this season’s UAAP season. As to be expected the “sudden” departure of erstwhile Green Archer coach, Gee Abanilla, was discussed in various huddles inside the Cameron Forbes room of the Manila Polo Club.

After the usual welcome remarks, handing out of certificates of appreciation to donors to the Archers’ cause and acknowledgment of the team’s godfathers, Br. Ricky Laguda, FSC, president and chancellor of DLSU-Manila stepped up to the podium to provide details and to explain to the DLSU community the reason for the major change in the head coach position with barely three weeks to go before the start of the UAAP basketball season.

There was widespread belief that Abanilla did a good job last season by leading the Archers into the Final Four and fourth spot last year despite the many adjustments to be made. The Archers however failed to make it to the finals (and even the semifinals) of the pre-season Filoil Flying V tournament, after losing three in a row to University of the East, Ateneo and San Beda.

In his remarks, Br. Ricky revealed that as early as the first week of May, the team’s major benefactor, Ambassador Eduardo (Danding) Cojuangco had talked to him and asked “if he was ready for another major change in the coaching staff”. The Ambassador stated that there were major changes in the offing in the Petron Blazers team which didn’t do too well in the last conference of the PBA. The Blazers wanted to recall Abanilla to help re-evaluate the Blazers organization. In short, the change was neither sudden nor to be interpreted as Abanilla being fired.

Br. Ricky asked the Ambassador for more time to reflect over the situation since he (Br. Ricky) was due to take an official trip to the US. He requested though that, if any changes are to be made, let it happen after the Filoil Flying V matches. The two agreed, although both realized that when Abanilla is endorsed back to Petron, one cannot avoid the perception that Abanilla was “fired”. But since both gentlemen wanted to effect the change at the most propitious time, it was agreed the announcement would be made right after the Flying V jousts, where, unfortunately for Abanilla, the Archers didn’t fare too well.

With three weeks from the start of the UAAP basketball season, the burden of making the talent- and rookie-laden squad gel into what UAAP basketball fans have called one of the favored squads, rest on the shoulders of Jun Sauler, a former Green Archer himself, coach of other De La Salle teams and PBA assistant coach.

Sauler’s belated entry reminds us of an almost similar situation the Archers found themselves in when Franz Pumaren took over from Jong Uichico in 1998 with six weeks before the start of the season. Pumaren deftly steered the squad to four consecutive championships from 1998-2001. Sauler has half the time available and could be distracted by the huge expectations of supporters and loyal DLSU alumni. Let’s see how things evolve. All teams have souped-up their line-ups and will provide exciting games in the months ahead.

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Eco grad now La Salle coach

SPORTING CHANCE

By Joaquin M. Henson

(The Philippine Star) | Updated June 12, 2013 - 12:00am

It came as a surprise to Juno Sauler when he was asked to take over from Gee Abanilla as La Salle senior men’s basketball team head coach a few days ago. The UAAP season begins June 29 and the Archers play UST in the opening bill. But ready or not, Sauler accepted the challenge and vowed to pick up where Abanilla left off.

Abanilla, who piloted La Salle to the Final Four last season, has been recalled by his PBA mother team Petron which is undergoing an offseason reorganization. There is no confirmation of what changes are forthcoming with the Blaze Boosters but it appears Abanilla, a Petron assistant coach, will play a role in the new set-up, requiring his return from La Salle.

La Salle president Br. Ricky Laguda announced the coaching switch to the team during the Archers’ dorm blessing on Agno Street adjacent to the Taft Avenue campus last Saturday. Fr. Sebastian Puthen, an Indian priest from the Santa Rosa de Lima parish in Pasig, celebrated Mass and presided in the blessing of the two-storey quarters. The entire team attended with sports patron Ambassador Danding Cojuangco, Br. Bernie Oca, managers Terry Capistrano, Raffy Villavicencio and Eric Ongcauco, chief recruiter Dave Dichupa, Office of Sports Development director Nongnong Calanog, Alumni Association president Henry Atayde and the coaching staff of Sauler, Allan Caidic and Jun Limpot.

Sauler, 40, gathered the players for a brief meeting after the blessing to make three announcements. First, there will be twice-a-day practices at 7-9 a.m. and 5-8 p.m. (started yesterday). Second, all players must stay at the dorm. And third, players must show discipline on and off the court. “No compromises,” said Sauler. “We’ve got three weeks before the opening and we’ll be working double time.”

The dorm includes a kitchen where a cook will prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for the players with provisions for snacks in between. A nutritionist has prepared a diet plan for each player as weights will be monitored. Archer sophomore Jeron Teng tweeted that “our dorm is more like a hotel.”

Sauler is no stranger to pressure. “Whether you’re the head coach or assistant coach, you feel the same pressure to win,” he said. “My first order of business is to keep the game simple. I want the players to buy into the system we’re installing. We’re reverting to the defense we used last season and in offense, we’ll introduce ball movement, post plays and pick-and-rolls, nothing complicated. I want the players to understand the game, to know what we’re doing. Once the mental part is done, it will be easier to execute. There’s not much time left to prepare for the season but we’ll be ready. Before the week ends, we’ll do practice games with St. Benilde and Globalport.”

Sauler, Caidic and Limpot are now full-time La Salle coaches. With the twice-a-day regimen, there’s little time left for any coach to moonlight with another team. The focus is exclusive and unshared.

Sauler, a La Salle economics graduate in 1994, worked in human resources at Ayala and Jollibee for two years before realizing his life wouldn’t be complete without basketball. A former Archer varsity cager, Sauler tried his luck as a player with Wilkins in the PBL and survived two conferences before he was cut. He joined coach Jong Uichico’s La Salle staff in May 1998 but before the start of the UAAP season, Franz Pumaren took over the helm. Sauler was in Pumaren’s staff for a year then moved to coach the La Salle senior women’s team which he steered to three UAAP crowns from 1999 to 2001. At the same time, Sauler coached the Zobel high school squad.

In 2002, Sauler volunteered his services to work under Uichico with the Philippine national team. “I was eager to learn from coach Jong,” he said. “I didn’t mind being ball boy or statistician or whatever job there was to be done.” That was when he met Uichico’s assistant Allan Caidic who was also Ginebra San Miguel head coach then. When Ginebra assistant coach Bong Ramos left that year, Caidic offered the vacancy for Sauler to fill. Sauler has now been with the Ginebra organization for 11 years.

This season, La Salle is unveiling four rookies – Fil-Am forwards Jason Perkins and Matt Salem and guards Kib Montalbo and Robert Bolick. The Archers will feel the absence of shot-blocking 6-4 forward Yutien Andrada who underwent surgery for a second tear of his ACL in the right knee last month. Andrada is out for the season. Back from last year’s roster are Norbert Torres, Arnold Van Opstal, Almond Vosotros, Oda Tampus, Luigi de la Paz, Teng, Thomas Torres, Gabby Reyes and L. A. Revilla. After the Archers tackle UST on June 29, they play UP before facing archrival Ateneo on July 7. The Eagles play NU and FEU before meeting La Salle.

Abanilla said he’ll continue to support the Archers in any way possible. “I may not be directly involved with the team anymore but my heart will always bleed green,” he said. “It’s going to be different for me from now on but I will continually strive to be a good Christian gentleman as La Salle has taught me to be. All I want is to give glory and honor to La Salle.”
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson (The Philippine Star) | Updated June 12, 2013 - 12:00am
googleplus

It came as a surprise to Juno Sauler when he was asked to take over from Gee Abanilla as La Salle senior men’s basketball team head coach a few days ago. The UAAP season begins June 29 and the Archers play UST in the opening bill. But ready or not, Sauler accepted the challenge and vowed to pick up where Abanilla left off.

Abanilla, who piloted La Salle to the Final Four last season, has been recalled by his PBA mother team Petron which is undergoing an offseason reorganization. There is no confirmation of what changes are forthcoming with the Blaze Boosters but it appears Abanilla, a Petron assistant coach, will play a role in the new set-up, requiring his return from La Salle.

La Salle president Br. Ricky Laguda announced the coaching switch to the team during the Archers’ dorm blessing on Agno Street adjacent to the Taft Avenue campus last Saturday. Fr. Sebastian Puthen, an Indian priest from the Santa Rosa de Lima parish in Pasig, celebrated Mass and presided in the blessing of the two-storey quarters. The entire team attended with sports patron Ambassador Danding Cojuangco, Br. Bernie Oca, managers Terry Capistrano, Raffy Villavicencio and Eric Ongcauco, chief recruiter Dave Dichupa, Office of Sports Development director Nongnong Calanog, Alumni Association president Henry Atayde and the coaching staff of Sauler, Allan Caidic and Jun Limpot.

Sauler, 40, gathered the players for a brief meeting after the blessing to make three announcements. First, there will be twice-a-day practices at 7-9 a.m. and 5-8 p.m. (started yesterday). Second, all players must stay at the dorm. And third, players must show discipline on and off the court. “No compromises,” said Sauler. “We’ve got three weeks before the opening and we’ll be working double time.”

The dorm includes a kitchen where a cook will prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for the players with provisions for snacks in between. A nutritionist has prepared a diet plan for each player as weights will be monitored. Archer sophomore Jeron Teng tweeted that “our dorm is more like a hotel.”

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
^^^ (Cont'd )

Sauler is no stranger to pressure. “Whether you’re the head coach or assistant coach, you feel the same pressure to win,” he said. “My first order of business is to keep the game simple. I want the players to buy into the system we’re installing. We’re reverting to the defense we used last season and in offense, we’ll introduce ball movement, post plays and pick-and-rolls, nothing complicated. I want the players to understand the game, to know what we’re doing. Once the mental part is done, it will be easier to execute. There’s not much time left to prepare for the season but we’ll be ready. Before the week ends, we’ll do practice games with St. Benilde and Globalport.”

Sauler, Caidic and Limpot are now full-time La Salle coaches. With the twice-a-day regimen, there’s little time left for any coach to moonlight with another team. The focus is exclusive and unshared.

Sauler, a La Salle economics graduate in 1994, worked in human resources at Ayala and Jollibee for two years before realizing his life wouldn’t be complete without basketball. A former Archer varsity cager, Sauler tried his luck as a player with Wilkins in the PBL and survived two conferences before he was cut. He joined coach Jong Uichico’s La Salle staff in May 1998 but before the start of the UAAP season, Franz Pumaren took over the helm. Sauler was in Pumaren’s staff for a year then moved to coach the La Salle senior women’s team which he steered to three UAAP crowns from 1999 to 2001. At the same time, Sauler coached the Zobel high school squad.

In 2002, Sauler volunteered his services to work under Uichico with the Philippine national team. “I was eager to learn from coach Jong,” he said. “I didn’t mind being ball boy or statistician or whatever job there was to be done.” That was when he met Uichico’s assistant Allan Caidic who was also Ginebra San Miguel head coach then. When Ginebra assistant coach Bong Ramos left that year, Caidic offered the vacancy for Sauler to fill. Sauler has now been with the Ginebra organization for 11 years.

This season, La Salle is unveiling four rookies – Fil-Am forwards Jason Perkins and Matt Salem and guards Kib Montalbo and Robert Bolick. The Archers will feel the absence of shot-blocking 6-4 forward Yutien Andrada who underwent surgery for a second tear of his ACL in the right knee last month. Andrada is out for the season. Back from last year’s roster are Norbert Torres, Arnold Van Opstal, Almond Vosotros, Oda Tampus, Luigi de la Paz, Teng, Thomas Torres, Gabby Reyes and L. A. Revilla. After the Archers tackle UST on June 29, they play UP before facing archrival Ateneo on July 7. The Eagles play NU and FEU before meeting La Salle.

Abanilla said he’ll continue to support the Archers in any way possible. “I may not be directly involved with the team anymore but my heart will always bleed green,” he said. “It’s going to be different for me from now on but I will continually strive to be a good Christian gentleman as La Salle has taught me to be. All I want is to give glory and honor to La Salle.”

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Pareng James two questions:

1) Does this mean Juno Sauler and Allan Caidic will no longer be deputies to Alfrancis Chua in the PBA?

2) Is LA Revilla 100% healthy already? I've been watching this kid's playing career since he started out at Greenhills.

james_hunt
06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Pareng James two questions:

1) Does this mean Juno Sauler and Allan Caidic will no longer be deputies to Alfrancis Chua in the PBA?

2) Is LA Revilla 100% healthy already? I've been watching this kid's playing career since he started out at Greenhills.

I was told Juno will be full time at La Salle for now until after the Uaap.

LA is 100% healthy and I thank God for that. Without him, we couldn't even think about making the playoffs.

greencm
06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
I was told Juno will be full time at La Salle for now until after the Uaap.

LA is 100% healthy and I thank God for that. Without him, we couldn't even think about making the playoffs.

Are you part of SMC, james? Anyway, I messaged Coach Allan for first-hand info. According to him, both he and Juno are still part of Ginebra but are now full-time with La Salle.

arkuo
06-13-2013, 03:30 PM
^^ I think James meant that Juno can be with DLSU full-time now with the UAAP being a short season. He can go back to his Ginebra duties when the season wraps up? (Meaning there will be no Ginebra call-ups in the middle of the season)

james_hunt
06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Are you part of SMC, james? Anyway, I messaged Coach Allan for first-hand info. According to him, both he and Juno are still part of Ginebra but are now full-time with La Salle.

No I'm not with SMC. Wasn't that what I said that Juno will be full time with DLSU? :)

Are you with SMC?

xxiocebu
06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Still part (time?) of Ginebra, yet full time with DLSU?

Dami naman nilang time :)

james_hunt
06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Still part (time?) of Ginebra, yet full time with DLSU?

Dami naman nilang time :)

Masyadong madami ang gusto maging insider kasi. :)

greencm
06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
No I'm not with SMC. Wasn't that what I said that Juno will be full time with DLSU? :)

Are you with SMC?

Yes I am

james_hunt
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes I am

As a coach?

LION
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
James bro,

With the description of the dorm as “more like a hotel”, is there any concern that the team is being pampered too much? The boys have to feel adversity and difficulty in life, experience how it is to be hungry, fight or hunt for their own meal. These are what we call the hunger and desire factors which will go a long way in shaping a person’s (or team’s) will to achieve its goals.

This is precisely our concern with our own team. Players being pampered too much with expensive dinners here and there.

I can see players from other schools with a pittance for a budget and yet their players work doubly hard to improve their skill set every year because they use adversity and hunger as motivation to succeed not only in basketball but in the game called life.

james_hunt
06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
James bro,

With the description of the dorm as “more like a hotel”, is there any concern that the team is being pampered too much? The boys have to feel adversity and difficulty in life, experience how it is to be hungry, fight or hunt for their own meal. These are what we call the hunger and desire factors which will go a long way in shaping a person’s (or team’s) will to achieve its goals.

This is precisely our concern with our own team. Players being pampered too much with expensive dinners here and there.

I can see players from other schools with a pittance for a budget and yet their players work doubly hard to improve their skill set every year because they use adversity and hunger as motivation to succeed not only in basketball but in the game called life.

The new dorm in the old Cojuangco house is not like a hotel, I guess the person who gave that statement was exaggerating a bit. The players stay three to a room with bunk beds, the showers are common just like in typical dormitories. The only difference maybe will be the commercial kitchen with chefs and a nutritionist taking care of their needs and the study room with Mac computers. As far as fancy dinners are concerned, the Ambassador has put a stop to it and that the players will only eat, sleep and study at the dorm. They go from school, practice then quarters. Actually, it's the alumni spoiling the boys with dinners even if talo sa games that's why to some of them it became "okay" to lose. Coach Juno and team management is focusing on discipline on and off the court now, even Jeron was forced to stay at the dorm. Hope it all works out with 15 days to go till opening day.

I like that statement by Coach Boysie about his boys crying in anger after defeat wherein before pa tawa tawa Lang sila. That's the kind of fire we hope to see with this bunch....

LION
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks bro.

Good luck to DLSU in the UAAP. It's just a matter of playing as a team and finding the right chemistry. What you have right now is a collection of great individual talents.

james_hunt
06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
^^ that's what the coaches are trying to do. Thanks Bro, much appreciated! Good Luck to your team as well. Animo!

bchoter
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Pareng james, is the line up for Season 76 already set?

james_hunt
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Pareng james, is the line up for Season 76 already set?

Yes it is. Although some are still trying to convince management to go with a full 16-man line-up.

bchoter
06-14-2013, 01:27 PM
So who are in and who are out :D

Joescoundrel
06-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes it is. Although some are still trying to convince management to go with a full 16-man line-up.

Pards kinse lang ilalaro ninyo?

LION
06-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Ano na nangyari kay pareng glock23? na lift na ang gun ban at lahat lahat, wala pa rin sya dito hahahahhaha.

james_hunt
06-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Ano na nangyari kay pareng glock23? na lift na ang gun ban at lahat lahat, wala pa rin sya dito hahahahhaha.

Tapos na nga pala ang gun ban at na-deliver na ang ilang batch ng pistols for the PNP ...tawagin ko na ba si Glock23? :)

Wag na...baka ma-intriga pa ni Miriam. ;)

james_hunt
06-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Pards kinse lang ilalaro ninyo?

Lucky 13 padre. :)

LION
06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Seriously, what happened to glock? Balay ni Juan is calling us.

Sam Miguel
06-18-2013, 10:54 AM
^^^ Lion, Balay Ni Juan is no more. They have become Juanito's Bistro.

While the San Miguel Beer remains a deep tragedy has occurred: the barbecue, sisig and buffalo chicken ass are all now gone from the menu.

I believe the new "In" place to be in that area is NINAK. :)

LION
06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Ouch!! I’ve been out of touch that long hahahahahahhaha.

Ok bro. Ninak it is!!!! Tuesdays and Thursdays are good days for me.

Joescoundrel
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
^ Dala kang Scotch natin, amo.

Sorry for the OT Bigfreeze.

bchoter
06-18-2013, 02:07 PM
OT din po:

May itatayo daw sa tapat ng Ninak pero local food ang i-se-serve. Ilocano food in particular. It will e called "Ninam mit"

LION
06-18-2013, 08:15 PM
^ You omitted the first three letters, manong. :p

Sam Miguel
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Tams humble UE Warriors; Tigers score

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:58 am | Sunday, June 30th, 2013

FAR EASTERN U brought University of the East down to earth right in the opener.

The Tamaraws fought back from a double-digit deficit to stun the preseason favorite Warriors, 89-78, at the start of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

“I’ve been telling them (Tamaraws) that the real test is the real tournament,” said new FEU coach Nash Racela. “I’m happy we weren’t talked about much [in the preseason]. It lessened the pressure.”

Terrence Romeo and former MVP RR Garcia combined for 41 points as the Tams rallied from 15-26 to pull away by 15 in the fourth period against the Warriors, who came into the tournament fresh from topping a preseason event that featured most of the country’s top collegiate squads.

University of Santo Tomas survived La Salle in overtime, 63-58, in front of an electric crowd of 17 ,985 in the second game.

Often criticized for his selfish play, Romeo flirted with a triple-double with a game-high 23 points, nine rebounds and half of the Tamaraws’ 24 assists.

“I’ve been saying in the interviews that they’ll see a different Terrence Romeo,” said the senior guard sharing the team top billing with Garcia, who knocked in 11 of his 18 points in the final quarter.

Jeric Teng unloaded 23 points and Karim Abdul collected 17 markers, 10 boards and three blocks as the duo also combined for nine of the Tigers’ 12 points in overtime.

Playing with a sprained ankle, Aljon Mariano nailed three free throws inside the last 22 seconds for the final tally.

“Partly it’s opening jitters, but what’s important is we got the win,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio.

The Tamaraws trailed by as many as 11, 15-26, in the first half before Romeo, who had 18 points in the second half, keyed their turnaround.

Charles Mammie, a 6-foot-8 recruit from Sierra Leone, only got the green light to play hours before the game following an emergency meeting where the UAAP Board reviewed his eligibility documents along with Cameroonians Ingrid Sewa (Adamson) and Alfred Aroga (National U).

The scores:

First Game

FEU 89–Romeo 23, Garcia 18, Hargrove 11, Belo 10, Tolomia 8, Cruz 8, Pogoy 7, Sentcheu 2, Mendoza 2, Jose 0.

UE 78–Sumang 22, Olivares 17, Casajeros 8, Noble 7, Mammie 7, Javier 4, Hernandez 4, Sumido 3, Santos 3, Jumao-as 3, Flores 0.

Quarters: 11-21, 32-37, 61-56, 89-78

Second Game

UST 63–Teng 23, Abdul 17, Bautista 6, Mariano 5, Ferrer 5, Pe 3, Hainga 2, Daquioag 2, Lo 0.

LA SALLE 58–Vosotros 13, Perkins 13, Teng 10, T. Torres 7, N. Torres 6, Reyes 4, Revilla 4, Van Opstal 1, Tampus 0, Bolick 0.

Quarters: 10-12, 28-20, 40-34, 51-51 (reg), 63-58 (OT)

bigfreeze_bibby
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Kelan ba itong kainan na ito? Puro post lang dito e hehehe. Wait I have to put up a separate thread for the UAAP mga repapips.