PDA

View Full Version : JERIE PINGOY - the Next New King Tamaraws

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
UAAP: Baby Tam Jerie Pingoy commits to FEU seniors
October 29, 2012 11:24am
3 11 0 26
Far Eastern University athletics director Mark Molina confirmed via Twitter that UAAP juniors standout Jerie Pingoy has signed an agreement to stay with FEU and play for their seniors team.

Elaine Luz @elainespillsit 22 Oct 12 @marqmolina Sir, is Pingoy playing for Tams next yr? Hope u'll let him stay and not be swayed by other school offers. Sorry po very makulit.

Mark Molina
@marqmolina @elainespillsit Pingoy has signed an agreement to play with FEU srs. Aguilon and Domingo verbally committed but you never know until enrold
23 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Pingoy, who was named back-to-back MVP of the juniors division while playing for the FEU-Diliman Baby Tamaraws (formerly FEU-FERN), logged an average of 27.5 minutes in 17 outings, while putting up 21.2 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.0 assists, and 2.3 steals, versus 3.4 turnovers.

The Baby Tams claimed the Juniors title with a sweep over Season 74 titlists NU Bullpups, with game two going to an astounding three overtime periods.

FEU, which finished the season outside of the Final Four after losing a playoff against the De La Salle University Green Archers, is set to lose just two players to graduation, big men Clarence Foronda and Mark Bringas.

Pingoy will join a backcourt that already includes former MVP RR Garcia, should he opt to play his final season of eligibility, former Rookie of the Year Terrence Romeo, and reserves Cris Tolomia and Archie Inigo.

Molina also said that two other Baby Tams, Finals MVP Jose Domingo (10.6 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists) and Joshua Aguilon (10.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.0 assists) have verbally committed to FEU. - AMD, GMA News

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
The 5-foot-7 Pingoy is touted as the heir apparent of Johnny Abarrientos for his wondrous moves, silky touch and court leadership – traits that made him now one of the most-sought after collegiate rookies.

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Billed as the next Johnny Abarrientos of FEU, Pingoy also set the plays for his teammates,

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Reigning UAAP MVP Jerie Pingoy of Far Eastern University season 75.

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
By averaging 19 points, 5.5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2.7 steals a game, Pingoy, who hails from Cebu, has helped power the Baby Tamaraws into the UAAP finals against defending champion National University.

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Good Job Guys !!!

LaKazTaMa
10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
New Coach Plus New Players = Lol

BLUE HORSE
10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Per the article of Jasmine Payo in today's inquirer, Pingoy verbally committed to go to Katipunan and play for ADMU. The father is quoted that his son will play for ADMU. Ano nga ba, which is valid, the signed document of Mark Molina valid or the verbal commitment of father and son Pingoy?

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
JERIE PINGOY-GOES TO KATIPUNAN

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
hahahahahaha.. nasulot pa yata

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Baby Tams’ Jr MVP Pingoy to Blue Eagles
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
10:15 pm | Monday, October 29th, 2012 Share on facebook_likeShare 91ATENEO just scored a recruitment coup after back-to-back UAAP juniors Most Valuable Player Jerie Pingoy committed yesterday to play for the five-time men’s basketball champion next season.

Pingoy, who recently powered Far Eastern University to its first juniors title in 25 years, opted to suit up for the Blue Eagles, who lost sports patron Manny V. Pangilinan and coach Norman Black.

“One million percent he’s going to Ateneo,” Pingoy’s father, Jerry, told the Inquirer yesterday. “He made the choice.”

Meanwhile, FEU formally appointed yesterday Nash Racela as its new head coach.

Racela, a Talk ‘N Text assistant mentor in the PBA, takes over Bert Flores, who stepped down after the Tamaraws failed to advance to the Final Four this season.

The 5-foot-9 Pingoy normed 21 points—highlighted by a season-high 43 points—on top of 4.2 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.1 steals.

“Many schools tried to recruit him,” the elder Pingoy, a former PBA player, said in Filipino. “He always dreamed of playing and studying in Ateneo.”

Pingoy also dispelled talk that his 17-year-old son, a member of the under-18 national team, had committed to other schools.

The Eagles hope to form another powerhouse lineup with the loss of Greg Slaughter and Finals MVP Nico Salva to graduation.

Fil-Am Chris Newsome and Fil-Canadian John Lasa are set to suit up for the Ateneo next season.

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
UAAP: Jerie Pingoy chooses Ateneo over FEU - report
October 30, 2012 11:39am

After initial reports had Far Eastern University-Diliman Baby Tamaraw Jerie Pingoy staying on with FEU when he moves up to the seniors division, the reigning back-to-back juniors division MVP may in fact be headed to Katipunan to play with the current seniors division champions Ateneo instead.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer's Jasmine Payo reported Monday that Pingoy was in fact slated to become a Blue Eagle, quoting Pingoy's father Jerry, a former PBA player, as saying, "One million percent he's going to Ateneo."

Ateneo team manager Paolo Trillo, in an interview with GMA News Online, confirmed the news, saying, "All I know is that they're committing to Ateneo and we're happy about that."

Earlier, FEU athletic director Mark Molina had tweeted out that Pingoy had signed an agreement to stay with FEU. In light of the report by the Inquirer, GMA News Online sought confirmation from Tamaraws team manager Anton Montinola, who replied via text, "Yes we have a written contract [with Pingoy]."

Trillo, when asked to comment on Pingoy's "contract" with FEU said, "I don't think we're [Ateneo] in the right position [to comment about it]," but noted, "In the end, they'll [the Pingoy family] be the ones making that decision….What matters is when they enroll."

He also pointed out that a lot of schools have tried to recruit Pingoy, but that the father "made it clear that he prefers Ateneo."

As of posting, GMA News Online is still waiting on a statement from the Pingoy family.

Should Pingoy wind up in Ateneo, FEU has the option of invoking the so-called "Soc Rivera rule," which requires freshmen going from a UAAP-affiliated high school to a different UAAP college or university to sit out one season, unless they acquire a release from their previous school.

This past season, Pingoy won his second straight juniors MVP plume, while averaging 21.2 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.3 steals versus 3.4 turnovers.

Pingoy would join an Ateneo backcourt that currently has Kiefer Ravena, Juami Tiongson, Nico Elorde and Izak Lim. FEU on the other hand is awaiting word on whether or not RR Garcia is returning to play his final year of eligibility, but they still have Terrence Romeo, Mike Tolomia, and Archie Inigo as guards.

FEU recently tapped Nash Racela to be their new head coach, replacing Bert Flores. Racela was an assistant to his brother Olsen Racela, when the latter was the head coach of the RP Youth Under-18 team, which included Pingoy. - AMD, GMA News

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Gulo ito malamang, Soc rivera Rules ..nakupo!

LaKazTaMa
10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Pingoy insists he has yet to make up mind amid FEU-Ateneo tug of war

By Jonas Panerio

October 30, 2012, 04:21 pm

"There are a lot of schools that are trying to recruit me but I have not made any decisions with regards to that matter," says juniors star Jerie Pingoy amid a tug of war between FEU and Ateneo. Jerome Ascano

CEBU CITY - Reigning back-to-back UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Marlon Pingoy insisted on Tuesday that he has not committed to any school, adding he would like to play out his high school basketball career with Far Eastern University-Diliman before deciding on where he would play college ball.

The celebrated juniors standout made the statement amid conflicting claims made by FEU athletic director Mark Molina, who said the point guard has signed a letter of agreement with the school, and Pingoy's father Jerry who said he is "one million percent" certain that his son would suit up for Ateneo.

Pingoy, who steered the Baby Tamaraws to their first UAAP juniors crown in 25 years this past season, admitted there are a lot of schools - both from Manila and in Cebu - which are trying to recruit him, but insisted he has not made any decisions as to where he’ll be playing college ball next season.

“I have not committed to any school yet. I have no idea where all those reports are coming from,” said Pingoy in Cebuano while on vacation at his humble abode atop Nivel Hills in this city. "There are a lot of schools that are trying to recruit me but I have not made any decisions with regards to that matter."

Pingoy, who averaged 21 points, four rebounds, five assists on top of two steals per game for the Baby Tamaraws last season, also clarified that what he signed with FEU was an agreement that the Morayta-based school would support his and his sibilings' education if he decides to stay put.

“It’s not an official contract. It’s just an agreement that states that FEU will support my schooling as well as my siblings' next season, should I join them,” he said.

However, Anton Montinola, FEU's representative to the UAAP board, said he is standing by the signed agreement as well as previous statements made by Pingoy that he wants to play college ball with the Tamaraws "out of loyalty."

“Hindi naman siya ang nagsalita, it’s the father and hindi si Koko (Pingoy’s nickname),” said Montinola. “And yes, we have a signed contract. There is nothing really to comment about here because ang sinasabi ni Koko, gusto niya maglaro para sa FEU.”

Montinola said he hopes Pingoy's father, a former PBA player, will respect the player's ‘decision.’

“Sana naman, respetuhin ‘yung kagustuhan ng bata dahil siya naman ang maglalaro. We will see, but as far as we know, Koko wants to play for FEU,” he said.

Molina also tweeted: "Pingoy and father signed an agreement with FEU. We hope this will be honored and respected."

Pingoy arrived here on Monday for a much-needed vacation after a rigorous campaign in the UAAP that saw the Baby Tamaraws lift their first title since the days of FEU great Johnny Abarrientos.

“I’m just here to spend and enjoy time with my family. Life here is much different from that in Manila. Though I’ve already adjusted to life there, it’s still a different vibe here,” Pingoy said.

For now, the talented point guard said he is concentrating on trying to bring another title to FEU-Diliman in the inaugural Philippine Secondary Schools Basketball Championship.

After that, Pingoy said he will make the decision that everybody is awaiting for.

“It’s really a lot of pressure on me. I just might return to the University of Cebu na lang,” said Pingoy in jest. “But it’s all right. I’m just going to take my time and enjoy what’s left of my high school career.” - With reports from Reuben Terrado

tamarawz_14
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
sana lang hindi sya overrated baka in the end puro negative maririnig niya, mas hype pa si pingoy kesa kay keifer nung pumasok sa seniors division... ibigay na lang sa ateneo kung dun talaga gusto nung bata siguro naman marami pa naman dyan naman magaling ang FEU maghanap ng mga unknown players sa mga province.

LaKazTaMa
11-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Tama ka jan Bro. kung ayaw wag pilitin.. and core units still there , new Coach to run the new system and im very sure well see a new brand of play comes next season 76..

LaKazTaMa
11-03-2012, 05:23 AM
“It’s not an official contract. It’s just an agreement that states that FEU will support my schooling as well as my siblings' next season, should I join them.”

FEU juniors star Jerie Pingoy on reports that he had already signed an agreement to play for the Tamaraws' senior team next season.

LaKazTaMa
11-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Racela named coach as juniors star Pingoy commits to Tamaraws
By Reuben Terrado

October 29, 2012, 07:17 pm

The FEU Tamaraws expect to be back in the title hunt next season as Nash Racela takes over from Bert Flores and sought-after FEU juniors Jerie Pingoy signs on the dotted line. Jerome Ascano
AFTER a disappointing season, Far Eastern University found two big reasons to celebrate on Monday as the perennial UAAP power got firm commitments from coach Nash Racela and celebrated junior Jerie Pingoy.

Racela has formally agreed to take over from Bert Flores beginning on November 1, becoming the first non-FEU alumnus since Koy Banal in the early 2000s to coach the multi-titled Tamaraws.

The younger brother of Petron coach Olsen is currently the head coach of the Fruitas Shakers in the PBA D-League and an assistant for Talk ‘N Text, leading the Texters to a win in their first game of the season while head coach Norman Black wrapped up his commitments with Ateneo in the UAAP.

He now takes over a talented Tamaraws squad that missed the Final Four despite a 9-5 record last season, but just got deeper with the news that Baby Tamaraws star Pingoy, a two-time MVP of the UAAP juniors tournament, has signed an agreement to suit up for FEU's seniors squad next season.

FEU athletic director Mark Molina confirmed Pingoy's signing on Twitter. “Pingoy has signed an agreement to play with FEU srs,” he tweeted on his account @marqmolina.

The 17-year-old scoring machine, one of the most sought-after players in the juniors ranks, is expected to make a big impact on a team that was a big letdown last season despite having 2010 MVP RR Garcia and Mythical Five member Terrence Romeo in the roster.

Even before signing on the dotted line, Pingoy had already expressed his intention to stay with the Tamaraws after FEU-Diliman won the UAAP juniors basketball crown by beating National University in the finals.

“Gusto ko talaga FEU din. Kasi loyalty,” said Pingoy, who led the Baby Tamaraws to their first juniors crown since Johnny Abarrientos' days with the side in the late eighties.

Racela, on the other hand, will be taking over a job traditionally given to former Tamaraws, including the last two to take the job - Glen Capacio and Flores.

Dark Knight
11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I just hope Pingoy was'nt pressured to sign the agreement to play. Mas maganda ang kusang loob kaysa sa pinilit.

LaKazTaMa
11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Boss , tama ka jan, gusto ng bata (jerie) maging instant millionners malamang hindi kaya ni Mr.montinola yan eh sa kabila kayang mabigay yan...

LaKazTaMa
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Pingoy misses FEU victory over 'top suitor' Ateneo claiming illness
By Reuben Terrado

November 12, 2012, 02:09 pm

FEU juniors star Jerie Pingoy missed the PSSBC game against 'suitor' Ateneo, claiming illness.

TWO-TIME UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy failed to suit up for Far Eastern University-Diliman in their 73-70 win over Ateneo on Sunday in the Philippine Secondary Schools Basketball Championship (PSSBC) at the Chiang Kai-Shek College gym in Manila.

FEU-Diliman coach Mike Oliver said Pingoy missed the game against the Blue Eaglets because of illness, but the absence has inevitably left tongues wagging since the Baby Tamaraws standout is being linked to a move to the Katipunan campus after high school.

The Cebuano hotshot, who played in the Baby Tamaraws’ first two games of the tournament, arrived in the venue in full gear with just eight seconds left in the game.

“Masama 'yung pakiramdam niya kahapon, parang linalagnat,” said Oliver after the game. “Kaya pinagpahinga ko muna."

“Buti nga umabot pa siya eh pero hindi ko na siya pinarating dito dahil masama pakiramdam niya,” Oliver added.

Pingoy is caught in a recruitment tug-of-war between FEU and Ateneo. The Tamaraws are claiming that Pingoy has signed an agreement to play for the school in college but Pingoy’s father Jerry has said in an interview with the Inquirer that the juniors star is "one million percent" sure of playing for the Blue Eagles.

The younger Pingoy said in another interview with Spin.ph that he is still undecided.

JJ Domingo picked up the slack in the absence of Pingoy, scoring 22 points including crucial baskets to seal the UAAP champions’ second win in three games in the tournament.

A go-ahead triple by Domingo and a lay-up off a steal gave the Baby Tamaraws a 70-67 lead with 50 seconds left in the fourth. Michael Nieto scored on an undergoal stab but Louie Magbuhos hit his only field goal with 25.6 seconds remaining.

With the Baby Tamaraws leading 72-70, Domingo missed two free throws but grabbed the rebound off his own miss. He split his free throws with 5.4 seconds left. The Blue Eaglets’ last-gasp three didn’t hit the mark as they went down to their second consecutive loss.

LaKazTaMa
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Parang totoo na ah..

Dark Knight
11-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Come on now Pingoy...make up your mind!!

BLUE HORSE
11-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Check out the recruitment thread of ADMU. There is a recent picture of Jerie practicing with the ADMU team together with ADMU recruits for future delivery. Practice was ran by Sandy Arespacochaga according to another thread. Akala ko ba under the weather si Jerie kaya hindi naglaro against AHS? Magaling na siya or ayaw lang talunin ni Jerie ang mga high school friends niya from Moro. Kumukulo kaya ang dugo ni Anton at ni Mark?

Dark Knight
11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
If Pingoy will OFFICIALLY play for the Blue Eagles, i will lock this thread immediately. And good luck with his career with Ateneo. I just hope he will do well with his studies.

LaKazTaMa
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Pingoy says he practiced with Gilas, not with Ateneo
By Reuben Terrado

November 15, 2012, 12:06 pm

A photo of Jerie Pingoy training at the Moro Lorenzo Gym with several players including one in an Ateneo jersey went viral amid claims he had started training with the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

FAR Eastern University-Diliman high school star Jerie Pingoy doused speculations he is now training with UAAP champion Ateneo, saying that pictures of him playing in what appeared to be a practice session with the Blue Eagles was in fact a practice with the Smart Gilas cadet team.

A photo of Pingoy was posted online on Tuesday night through the Twitter account of former Ateneo Blue Eagle Bacon Austria, showing what appeared to be a practice session at the Moro Lorenzo Gym with one player clearly wearing an Ateneo jersey. The photo heightened speculations that Pingoy is all set to join the Blue Eagles.

The photo was captioned: “Good practice for ateneo basketball. Good sign for the eagles!”

Pingoy, however, made it clear that the photo was taken during a practice at the Moro Lorenzo Gym with the Gilas cadet team, which was indeed held last Monday where he joined several collegiate stars.

“Just finished training with Smart Gilas Team,” wrote Pingoy on his Twitter account @Jeriepingoy on Monday.

Pingoy also retweeted his Blackberry Messenger status stating: “Smart gilas training. Not Ateneo!”

Austria’s tweet has since been deleted.

FEU and Ateneo are in a heated tug-of-war over the two-time UAAP juniors MVP. The Tamaraws claim they have already secured Pingoy's commitment through a “signed agreement” but his father told a daily newspaper that he will play for the Blue Eagles “one million percent.”

Pingoy said in an earlier Spin.ph interview that he is still undecided on his college plans.

LaKazTaMa
11-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Pingoy puts one over Ochea in battle of top two college recruits
By Reuben Terrado

November 20, 2012, 02:50 pm

FEU's Jerie Pingoy, right, led the Baby Tamaraws to a win over Dawn Ochea's Magis Eagles in an exhibition match. Jerome Ascano
JERIE PINGOY put one over fellow junior star Dawn Ochea after hitting a clutch basket in the final 15 seconds of Far Eastern University-Diliman’s 73-69 win over Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu in a benefit game of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the San Juan Arena.

Pingoy’s basket clinched the win for the Tamaraws in a battle between two of the country’s top high school teams and featuring two young highly-recruited prospects.

The reigning two-time UAAP juniors MVP, Pingoy finished with 24 points, had seven assists, five rebounds, and three steals against his former tormentors in the Cebu basketball league.

Pingoy also hails from Cebu and is the son of former PBA player Jerry Pingoy.

The 6-foot-3 Ochea led the Magis Eagles, reigning Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) juniors champion, with 19 points as the reigning Cesafi MVP and best high school player from the Queen City of the South flaunted his talent anew before Manila-based college scouts.

Cris Galvez added 16 points, 11 rebounds, and two blocks, while Janjan Jaboneta also had a double-double for the Cebu-based school with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

The Magis Eagles are in Manila to play two exhibition games on the invitation of the PCCL. They lost to NCAA champion San Beda, 118-58, over the weekend.

LaKazTaMa
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Top Cebu cage prospect Ochea still undecided on college offers
By Reuben Terrado

November 20, 2012, 05:55 pm

Dawn Ochea of Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu is attracting a lot of attention after leading his team to the Cesafi juniors title and bagging the MVP award.

THE recruitment war among the country’s basketball powers in college has gone down all the way to the South with the huge interest laid out on the celebrated Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu team led by star player Dawn Ochea.

Ochea and the rest of the Magis Eagles have been under the radar of scouts for quite some time now since the school romped off with the junior championship of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi).

A young big man with a lot of potential, Ochea is attracting a lot of attention after emerging the Cesafi Most Valuable Player upon steering the Magis Eagles to a two-game sweep of the University of the Visayas Baby Lancers in the Finals.

This early, Ochea is already considered as among the country’s top high school prospects along with Far Eastern University’s Jerie Pingoy, and Rey Nambatac of Letran

While interest by Manila-based universities on Ochea and other members of the Magis Eagles are indeed high, SHS-ADC coach Rommel Rasmo said the players and their parents have yet to make a decision on the matter.

“As of now, medyo maaga pa dahil marami pa (puwedeng) mangyari at may mga tournaments pa kaming sasalihan,” said Rasmo. “Most probably, January or Feburary, makaka-decide na sila pati `yung mga parents.”

The Cesafi juniors titlist are set to compete in several tournaments in the next few months, including the Palarong Pambansa qualifier.

Rasmo admitted he is pleased that at the moment, the players are focusing on their stint with the team.

But Ochea is definitely can’t miss-a-thing prospect.

Five-time UAAP champion Ateneo has already expressed interest in obtaining the services of Ochea in the hope of filling the gaping hole in its frontline left by the graduation of Greg Slaughter, Nico Salva, Justine Chua

University of the Philippines is also another school that is eyeing the 6-foot-3 Ochea after recruiting point guard Henri Asilum for Sacred Heart last year.

Rasmo bared that Far Eastern University, Adamson, and Arellano University have also sent feelers of tapping other members of the Sacred Heart team, a testament to the gains of its high school basketball program.

“Actually, we are very happy sa program kaya thankful ako sa parents ng mga players. Siyempre nandoon din ang school, pero limited lang (ang tulong) kaya it’s more of the parents,” said Rasmo.

The Magis Eagles recently played exhibition games against Metro Manila teams in the ongoing Philippine Collegiate Champions League.

Sacred Heart lost to reigning NCCA secondary champion San Beda, 58-118, last Sunday but not after putting up a big fight. It also lost a close 69-73 decision to a Far Eastern University-Diliman team led by fellow Cebuano Jerie Pingoy.

LaKazTaMa
11-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Bago na Coach ng ADMU at bumalik na rin c MVP sa aknila kaya malamang c J.Pingoy sa Eagles mag laro next Season.

LaKazTaMa
12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Juniors standout Aguilon commits to FEU but no word yet from Pingoy
By Reuben Terrado

December 10, 2012, 11:29 am

Joshua Aguilon averaged 9.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 2.9 assists for the FEU Baby Tamaraws when they captured the UAAP juniors basketball crown last season. Jerome Ascano
WHILE awaiting official word from its prized junior cager Jerie Pingoy, Far Eastern University has gained the commitment of a vital cog of its UAAP championship-winning juniors squad.

Forward Joshua Aguilon, who was the third leading scorer for the Baby Tamaraws last season, said he has decided to play for the FEU seniors squad next season, making the confirmation on his Twitter account.

“Commited to Play and Study for the FEU Tamaraw team for next year. :) officially a Tam. :)) #ProudTam,” wrote Aguilon on his Twitter account @J_aguilon18.

Aguilon averaged 9.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 2.9 assists for the Baby Tamaraws when they captured the UAAP juniors basketball crown last season - the school's first since the Johnny Abarrientos era in the eighties.

FEU coach Nash Racela expressed delight over the development as he feels Aguilon will be an important piece in the Tamaraws’ rebuilding plans.

Aguilon’s teammate Pingoy has yet to make an official announcement on whether he will stay with FEU or join Ateneo, although Cebu-based scribes insist the celebrated point guard has already made up his mind to join the Eagles next season.

Weeks ago, a photo surfaced online of Pingoy, a two-time juniors MVP, attending a practice at Ateneo’s Moro Lorenzo Gym. But he later clarified that it was a Smart Gilas practice, and not with the Blue Eagles.

2 Comments gymclasshero December 13, 2012 @ 06:03 pm
Na-offeran na ng maganda ni MVP.

boybola December 10, 2012 @ 01:36 pm
wala na talaga si pingoy. that kid's going to katipunan for sure

LaKazTaMa
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Changes to UAAP eligibility rules eyed following tug-of-war for Pingoy
By Reuben Terrado

January 19, 2013, 02:33 pm

Under UAAP eligibility rules, FEU juniors star Jerie Pingoy needs to redshirt for one year if he transfers to Ateneo in college but will be eligible to play next season if he stays with the Tamaraws. Jerome Ascano
THE UAAP is considering rule changes on residency rules for high school players switching to other schools in college in the wake of the recruitment 'tug-of-war' for Far Eastern University juniors star Jerie Pingoy.

UAAP president Nilo Ocampo said that Pingoy’s situation was touched ‘in passing’ during Wednesday’s regular board meeting, but added that nothing definite was decided on the issue.

However, Ocampo agreeed that they may be a need to implement changes on the eligibility rules for the protection of league members which nurture potential stars from the junior ranks.

“Nothing serious naman (about that) pero what we want to do is to protect the schools,” Ocampo said. “Gusto rin namin alagaan ‘yung integrity ng each school.”

Following his stellar juniors career with the Baby Tamaraws marked a UAAP championship and two MVP awards, Pingoy is reportedly set to transfer and play his college ball with Ateneo following his graduation from the Morayta-based school.

FEU officials have raised a howl over the impending move, insisting that the Cebuano guard has signed an an agreement to play for the Tamaraws in college.

Under current UAAP rules, a high school player must red-shirt for one year if he transfers to another school in college but head straight to the college varsity team if he stays with his mother school.

In his case, Pingoy will have to sit out next season if he chooses to play for the Blue Eagles. Meanwhile, he will eligible to play next year if he decides to stick with the Tamaraws.

Ocampo said that an extension of the residency period from one to two years could be among the rules changes considered by the league's amendments committee.

There may also be a need for a new rule that would discourage the practice of one school 'pirating' a player from another member school.

“’Yung usual, residency ng college and pati high school, ‘yung one year, baka gawin two years and … lay your cards on the table (in terms of recruitment) para wala na ‘yung through the backdoor, ‘yung mga ganun,” Ocampo explained.

“We have an amendments committee that is studying our rules. Maybe it’s about time to check our rules, baka mag-recommend sila for the future,” he added.

Dark Knight
01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Ateneo = Pirates?

Tagal na.........

LaKazTaMa
01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
J.Pingoy Plus two juniors Tamaraws ( hassan ) were seen in admu gym lately doing scrimmages..was it an indication that he's suiting up for real?

LaKazTaMa
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Pinggoy, Atangan, Tongco topbill 2nd Seaoil High School All-Star Game
by inboundpass
Thursday, 14 February 2013

Thirty-two of the best high school seniors in the country will be on show in the second Seaoil High School All-Star Game this coming March 3 at the Ynares Center in Pasig City. The Seaoil High School All-Star Game is the one of the highlights of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) Finals that is held every first weekend of March.

“The Seaoil High School All-Star Game is once again the premier event to showcase the Philippines’ top high school basketball talent,” said NBTC Training Director Alex Compton. “We are excited to see the best of the best compete against each other on a national stage. These kids are all graduating from high school and not everyone knows about their talent. The Seaoil High School All-Star Game will be their stage.”

Among those participating in this year’s event that is patterned after the McDonald’s All-American tournament are FEU’s Jerie Pinggoy, NU’s Ralph Atangan, San Beda’s Ranbill Tongco, UST’s Nicko Bahia, Cagayan De Oro National High School’s John Luna, the University of Visayas’ Paul Desiderio, and St. John’s Institute’s heralded Kib Montalbo to name a few.

In the first-ever Seaoil High School All-Star Game, Mapua’s Ace Basas came out of nowhere to take the Most Valuable Player Award from more heralded players such as then Xavier Stallion Jeron Teng, Mapua Red Robin JJ Alejandro, and San Beda’s Daryl Nazareno. Basas is now with Ateneo.

It was during the tryouts for this event where the University of the Philippines spotted Sacred Heart of Cebu’s Henry Asilum.

Summed up Compton, “Since November of 2012, well over 200 high school teams from all over the country have been competing for the chance to play in the Seaoil NBTC Jr. National Championship. Sixteen teams remain and in the first three days of March, they will compete for the opportunity to be the best high school team in the country. We are grateful to Seaoil and the MVP Sports Foundation for their commitment to these schools, coaches, and young men. Skills are being developed, character is being built, and leaders being raised. Yet on March 3rd, only one team can be champion.”

LaKazTaMa
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
This gonna be his last time wearing the Green n Gold colors for the UAAP champs FEU Juniors tams.. sad to see him go but thanks for bringing back the elusive Juniors trohpy for so long. Mabuhay ka! Go Tams!

Dark Knight
02-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Goodluck in his career with Ateneo.

LaKazTaMa
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Blow to Pingoy as transferees required to undergo two-year residency under new UAAP rule
By Reuben Terrado

March 05, 2013, 06:22 pm

If FEU high school star Jerie Pingoy decides to transfer to Ateneo for the coming school year, he will only be eligible to play for the Blue Eagles in 2015 under the league's new eligibility rules.
HIGH school players who will transfer to another UAAP school in college will now have to wait for two years before becoming eligible to play in the league.

The UAAP board on Tuesday approved the recommendation of its amendments committee to increase the residency requirements for transferring high school players from one year to two years.

The new rule, which got the vote of the board during its regular monthly, meeting will take effect immediately and will cover the current batch of graduating high school players in the UAAP.

That includes two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy, who was recently the subject of a tug-of-war between his high school team, Far Eastern University, and reigning champion Ateneo.

UAAP secretary general Junel Baculi explained rule change was aimed at syncronizing the league's residency rules since college transferees are also made to go through a two-year residency.

“Sa college student, two years din eh. So we wanted it to be uniform,” Baculi, also a member of the amendments committee, told Spin.ph.

Baculi also said that the transferring high school player can still play a maximum of five years with his new team.

The new rule is expected to have a big impact on Pingoy, the two-time UAAP juniors MVP who, according to his father, is leaning toward moving to Ateneo when he finishes his high school studies at FEU.

If Pingoy transfers to Ateneo for the coming school year, he will only be eligible to play for the Blue Eagles in 2015. But if he chooses to stay put at FEU, he can suit up in the league next season.

FEU had insisted that the younger Pingoy had already made a commitment to play for the Tamaraws in the form of a “signed document.”

However, there are no rules in the league that covers such agreements.

Ateneo and FEU both have officials who are members of the amendments committee in UAAP board members Em Fernandez and Anton Montinola.

xxiocebu
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Signed document.

They keep mentioning it, time to show it.

If they had a document that could keep Jere on their campus, they would not have had to resort to this (from what I hear has been an expensive) maneuver to keep him off UAAP courts for 2 years.

Even if the contract is unenforceable (with a minor), showing it will quiet down FEU detractors.

LaKazTaMa
03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Thats secret signed documents. lol

LaKazTaMa
03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
New residency rule won't stop Pingoy's switch to Ateneo, insists dad
By Reuben Terrado

March 06, 2013, 06:19 pm

“Walang residency o meron, Ateneo talaga anak ko. Kasi ang priority talaga ng anak ko, mag-aral at magtapos,” says Jerie Pingoy's father Jerry (inset). Jerome Ascano
TWO-TIME UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy will push through with his plan to transfer from Far Eastern University to Ateneo next school year despite a new residency rule that will make him eligible to play for the Blue Eagles only in 2015.

Jerry Pingoy, father of the FEU juniors star, insisted his son is bent on moving to Ateneo after he graduates from FEU this month and not even the controversial change that requires a two-year residency for high school transferees will change his mind.

“Walang residency o meron, Ateneo talaga anak ko,” the former PBA cager insisted when contacted by Spin.ph on Wednesday. “Kasi ang priority talaga ng anak ko, mag-aral at magtapos.”

The tug-of-war between Ateneo and FEU for Pingoy has triggered the rules rethink that, in turn, led to the contentious UAAP board decision to increase the residency period for high school transferees from one to two years.

Under the new residency rule which will take effect next season, the Cebu hotshot will only be eligible to play for the Blue Eagles in 2015 but can suit up for the FEU Tamaraws next season if he opts to stay put.

The elder Pingoy only had praises for FEU's sports program but insisted that his son has already made up his mind to go to Ateneo and get a good college education.

“Maganda naman ‘yung palakad (ng FEU), ‘yung basketball program nila. Pero ‘yung anak ko, gusto talaga sa Ateneo. Gustong mag-aral at magtapos. Sino ba ang hindi may gusto ng Ateneo?” said Jerry.

There were fears that the two-year residency period may end up ruining the basketball career of the country's most heavily recruited high school player, but his father was undaunted.

“Siguro naman, hindi siguro maaapektuhan dahil ipapakita niya na hindi lang basketball ang hinahanap niya. ‘Yung career naman siguro, hindi lang naman sa UAAP," said the elder Pingoy.

"Kung Ateneo naman ang anak ko, marami naman pwede paglaruan pa,” he added.

LaKazTaMa
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
New UAAP rule meant to protect schools' juniors program, says official
By Reuben Terrado

March 06, 2013, 08:10 pm

Jerie Pingoy won two UAAP MVP awards in his final seasons in high school with FEU. Jerome Ascano

THE move to increase the residency requirements of high school transferees from one to two years was meant to protect the high school programs of the UAAP's eight member schools.

This was bared by UAAP amendments committee head Em Fernandez of Ateneo as he defended the controversial rule change that has sparked a backlash from both players and fans.

The UAAP board voted 5-2 to pass the rule change on Tuesday, with Fernandez' Ateneo and the University of the Philippines the only dissenting vote.

“Basically, it’s the consensus of the other schools because Ateneo and UP voted against it,” said Fernandez. “But (the other schools) want to protect their high school program, which is technically geared for their college program.”

Once the rule takes effect next season, two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy of Far Eastern University will have to decide on whether to push through with a plan to move to Ateneo or stay with the Tamaraws.

Pingoy will have to go through a two-year residency if he chooses the Blue Eagles and will only be eligible to play in the league by 2015. However, he will be eligible for next season if the stays with the Tamaraws.

The new rule drew mostly adverse reactions from players and fans on social networking sites, but Fernandez admitted that such debates are normal.

“Even naman ‘yung old rule, before it was implemented, there was a lot of negative reaction,” Fernandez said. "I think it should be further reviewed because there were certain scenarios which were brought about.

“For example, what about schools without a girls division? What about UAAP high school since not all UAAP sports have a high school counterpart? How do you deal with that? There are certain things that need to be addressed,” Fernandez added.

Fernandez also clarified that the new rule isn’t technically in effect.

“I can’t say it’s really final because the year isn’t over and any rule change that will be amended in Season 75 will take effect in Season 76. Season 75 isn’t over yet,” said Fernandez.

LaKazTaMa
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Pingoy facing tough choice as UAAP board urged to review implementing guidelines of new rule
By Reuben Terrado

March 06, 2013, 01:15 pm

If he chooses to transfer to Ateneo as planned, Far Eastern University star and two-time juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy will only be eligible to play in the UAAP in 2015. Jerome Ascano

A MEMBER of the UAAP amendments committee has urged his colleagues to carefully look into the implementing guidelines of the new rule requiring a two-year residency for high school graduates transferring to another UAAP school amid a backlash from both players and fans.

La Salle board representative Henry Atayde confirmed that the new residency period for high school transferees, which on the amendments committee's suggestion was raised from one to two years, has already been agreed upon “in principle” by the board.

However, Atayde admitted there are several kinks in the new rule that still need to be ironed out.

“May proseso ‘yan. Inapprove na ‘yan ng board pero masyado pang maraming concerns and loopholes na hindi napag-uusapan,” Atayde said to Spin.ph.

“As a member of the UAAP board and the amendments committee, we still have to draft different guidelines and IRR because it has a lot of different intricacies,” Atayde added.

According to insiders, the board voted 5-2 on Tuesday to pass the new rule, with Ateneo and University of the Philippines the only dissenters.

The new rule is expected to alter the career plans of several high school prospects in the UAAP like Jerie Pingoy, who was expected to join Ateneo next season after completing his high school studies at Far Eastern University.

But with the new rule in place, Pingoy is faced with a tough choice.

If he chooses to transfer to Ateneo, Pingoy will only be eligible to play in the UAAP in 2015. But if the Cebuano hotshot and two-time UAAP juniors MVP opts to remain with FEU, he can play in the league next season.

Still, Ateneo remains confident Pingoy will push through with his plan to move to Katipunan, even if it means sitting out for the next two seasons, a top sports official of the school said.

Atayde said the amendments committee is actually batting for an across-the-board two-year residency for all transferees, including those already in college and from other countries.

Under present rules, a college transferee needs to sit out for two years unless he gets a clearance from his previous school. If the athlete gets a clearance, only a one-year residency period is required.

“Some schools, whether you like it or not, two years talaga. Pero ‘yung ibang eskwela, one year. Nagiging subjective tuloy ‘yung pag-rerelease ng athlete,” Atayde explained.

News of the new rule, which Spin.ph broke on Tuesday, has triggered a debate on social networking sites, with players like Ateneo star Kiefer Ravena leading the outcry.

Dark Knight
03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I say FEU should release Pingoy. If thats what the dude want so be it. Mahirap paglaruin ang taong napilitan lang. But he has to suffer the consequences. Sit out the next two years. Thats the only justice FEU can have once Pingoy transferred to Ateneo.

LaKazTaMa
03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Tama.. make my Day sbi ni Don Anton . Lol

xxiocebu
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I say FEU should release Pingoy. If thats what the dude want so be it. Mahirap paglaruin ang taong napilitan lang. But he has to suffer the consequences. Sit out the next two years. Thats the only justice FEU can have once Pingoy transferred to Ateneo.

I would like to ask if there is a scenario outside of holding his graduation documents (illegally, if as has been reported so far he is doing well in school) where FEU cannot "release" Pinggoy. Once a HS student graduates, a school cannot force him to their college.

As for "justice"=sitting out two years. If FEU had shown in the past 5-6 years that they had a cohesive program, that the coach is not undermined by his superiors, that the players are disciplined and play together, and there is no finger pointing after every loss I think Pinggoy would have thought longer and harder about staying.

Being in the HS Program Jere probably had an up-close look on how Montinola runs/ruined this very strong team. It may not have been purely the lure of Ateneo but disenchantment on how things have been handled in FEU for 5-6 years now. It was FEU that had the talent to match Ateneo every year during the 5peat. I would even say they were favored at least 2 of those years. yet Montinola finds a way to meddle.

Look at RR, from greatness he has now slid to being above average. He has regressed the last 2 years. If he kept developing he would be by far the best PG in the UAAP by now. Does Jere want to be RR 2.0?

LaKazTaMa
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
In Pingoy's shoes - Johnny A could have been a Blue Eagle, but opted to stay with FEU
Carlo Pamintuan, GMA NewsMarch 12, 2013 6:06pm

Jerie Pingoy could very well be the most popular high school basketball player in the land today. Although he is a very good player, most of the attention given to him is because of his impending transfer from FEU-FERN to Ateneo de Manila University.

Several years ago, another FEU point guard was offered the same opportunity, but his reaction to the proposal differed. Johnny Abarrientos, one of the best point guards this country has ever seen, had the chance to transfer to Ateneo and be a Blue Eagle at the collegiate level, after leading the FEU Baby Tamaraws to the 1987 UAAP title. However, he decided switching schools would be too risky for his future basketball career.

Di naman lahat ng offer na binibigay sayo kailangan mong tanggapin," Abarrientos said. "Kailangan mong mag-decide para sa long term, di lang yung immediate future mo."

Ever since he was a kid, studying in Ateneo had been Abarrientos' dream and he could have made it come true if he accepted the offer to transfer. However, he decided it would be in his best interest to stay with FEU.

"Dream school ko yung Ateneo pero nagdesisyon ako noon na mas mapapabuti yung career ko kung sa FEU ako," Abarrientos said. "Nagpapasalamat naman ako na nag-work out yun para sa akin."

Abarrientos went on to be one of the most celebrated players in FEU history. After playing for four years in the UAAP as a Tamaraw, he parlayed his success into a very fruitful and memorable PBA career.

Now an assistant coach with the San Mig Coffee Mixers and the FEU Tamaraws, Abarrientos is thankful that his decisions in the past enabled him to be where he is today.

"Ten pesos lang per day ang allowance ko sa FEU pero tiniis ko kasi alam ko na para naman sa future ng basketball career ko yun," he said. "Pero yung di ko nakuha, at least ngayon na-bless sa mga anak ko."

His dream of studying in Ateneo did not materialize for Abarientos but his three kids are now living their father's dream. His eldest child is now a first year AB Communication student in ADMU. His second born is a member of Team B of the Ateneo Blue Eaglets, while the youngest is still in elementary.

With a new rule for UAAP high school students who want to transfer to a different college in place, Abarrientos opined that the change from a one year residency to two years is fair. "Inaalagaan kasi ng FEU yung mga students," he said. "Hinahanap yan sa iba't ibang province tapos aalagaan sa FEU. Masakit naman kasi talaga pag bigla na lang kukunin ng ibang schools pag college na." - AMD, GMA

LaKazTaMa
03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Who's to blame for the new UAAP rule? Maybe Jerie Pingoy himself
JOB B. DE LEONMarch 12, 2013 11:45am

Jerie Pingoy (C) is the subject of a recruitment war that has led to the modification of the UAAP's residency rule. KC Cruz
I have an idea. Let's blame it all on Jerie Pingoy.

During the online firestorm of criticism against the UAAP Board, people have done either or both of the following: demonize the additional year and removal of the clearance option as a hostage crisis, and scheme over various loopholes for athletes to eventually end up on their preferred teams. But few have been willing to challenge the sobering reality that the league is abusing and hoodwinking the very minors whose interests they've been charged to protect.

The rule tries to dissuade recruitment between rival UAAP schools, as such means one school gains directly at the expense of the other and allegedly reaps the latter’s successes along the way. We planted, we tended and we ought to harvest, goes their protestations. Why should you partake of our feast? Shame on you for eyeing Jerie Pingoy.

But high school athletes are not crops, for the relationship between student-athlete and high school is a mutually beneficial one. In exchange for a reduced or waived tuition, students forego their time with family and friends, labor in practices and push themselves to exhaustion, all for the school whose name they wear on their chests. In exchange, the school has a chance to claim immortal sporting glory with a championship in a given sport.

Lately, league officials have railed against "losing investments." Don't teams lose investments all the time? When a high schooler from a non-UAAP school chooses another university over yours, when your team doesn't win the championship, when your coach runs your team into shambles, all of those can be considered “lost investments.” They can also be called “breaks of the game.” That doesn't matter though. Jerie Pingoy will forever owe his alma mater, and he belongs to them.

It's no longer a shock to hear that some view student-athletes as a commodity, a resource to spend capital on so as to attract media mileage, sponsorships and brand equity for their university. There can be a healthy balance between sports and profit-making, but it's probably not at the point where universities measure an individual by his marketing value, as opposed to helping the individual achieve what he deems best for himself, which in the first place, is the biggest responsibility of an educational institution.

Imagine a world where after Apple returned to the global stage, Microsoft declared they would prevent old Windows users from entering Apple Stores for two years. That's ridiculously unfair to anyone who desires an iOS device and can purchase one. And it's unfair to Apple too, because they came back from the dead and worked hard to challenge the dominance of Microsoft.

The example shows there are no easy paths to success, and most people who earn it, deserve it. Teams like Ateneo and La Salle were league doormats at some point before they made the commitment to change that. Today, they're hauling in the hardware because they've surrounded their players with reliable talent, hired good mentors, inculcated a positive team culture and convinced their benefactors they were worth spending on. They laid down the groundwork to attract recruits from all over the country, a model that National University is trying to emulate now.

Booms and busts in talent happen across all sports, and the teams that weather them best have built strong institutions instead of riding roughshod on a once-in-a-generation big ticket (as an NBA example, see LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets, versus Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder, Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs). The new rule is a shortcut to building a team, and the league will pay for it in the long run.

But why all this attention on Jerie Pingoy in the first place? In the hype, everyone seems to have forgotten that one blue-chipper (or two, or three if you dig deep enough into league history) doesn't guarantee a championship. Case in point, Ray Ray Parks is the league's most prolific scorer and a tremendous defender in the seniors division. Parks has two season MVP trophies to show for it, but he has yet to get past the Final Four. Maybe one day National U will step foot on the big stage, but it won't be solely because Parks is a Bulldog. But obviously this doesn't matter because Jerie Pingoy's gifts defy the logic of team building and will result in automatic Finals berths.

There are other variables that factor into a student's choice of university. But the best you can do is to give your players a good reason to stay, and if you have a solid program and reputation in place, chances are that they will. Jerie Pingoy is transferring to a team coming off five straight basketball championships, but that shouldn't blind you to what goes on behind the scenes. Don't blame your future losses on a kid who wants to find a situation better than what you currently provide.

Consider a few athletes who opted to move away from their "home" squad. Could DLSZ grad turned UST Growling Tiger Jeric Fortuna have coexisted alongside JV Casio, Bader Malabes, Simon Atkins and LA Revilla in his five-year stint with DLSU? How would another UST veteran, Paolo Pe, a former AHS Blue Eaglet, find playing time alongside Nico Salva, Frank Golla, Justin Chua and Jason Escueta? The UP Maroons, whose representative protested against this rule, would have to wait two years before rotation players like Martin Reyes (DLSZ), Mike Gamboa (ADMU) and Paolo Romero (ADMU) could contribute on the floor. What does the puzzle look like now, and would all these pieces find a home in this league? Something has to give, and where the board wants to stash the discarded pieces is unclear.

The league is shifty between claiming there's no force involved and that this isn't punishment. But that makes zero sense: if the rule wasn’t forceful, then why implement it at all unless it was to encourage a preferred outcome? If it isn't a punishment for changing colors, then why bar a student from donning a jersey and competing for two years? But silly me, I know nothing. When choosing between graduating from a good program and furthering one's basketball career, it's a simple choice for Jerie Pingoy and everyone else to make.

It's beside the point that the bulk of UAAP collegiate recruiting comes from outside the league. Future Pe’s, Fortuna’s and Reyes’ will fall through the cracks that this board is carving into the league's foundation. The rule will force these children into radically different career paths, even though perfectly good or better alternatives exist, all because of a choice they made (or that was made for them) on where to study when they were merely a 13 or 14-year old high school freshman. I can't imagine any other scenario where a responsibility with such repercussions is thrust upon someone who can't even drive.

The "what if?" games this rule will spawn may be fun to play, but we have to stop and think: since when did people force teenagers to choose between athletic aspirations and academic pursuits? Why can't we be happy for players who find opportunities better than what they were previously in? How dare we tell our athletes to dream grand dreams when their representatives' parochial mentality holds them down.

But hey, let's ignore the things that collectively pull the league and its fans down: the unfettered recruitment culture, the cutthroat nature of the competitions, and the politicking behind closed doors. Let's blame Jerie Pingoy, because he's not allowed to want more. - AMD, GMA News

LaKazTaMa
03-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Arwind Santos supports new UAAP rule
By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 03/12/2013 3:40 PM | Updated as of 03/12/2013 3:40 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Former Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraw and current Petron Blaze Booster Arwind Santos supports the new UAAP rule that mandates a two-year residency period for high school transferees.

In an exclusive interview with ABS-CBNnews.com on Tuesday, Santos said he sees the reason behind the controversial new rule that has stunned many UAAP fans and athletes.

"Tama 'yon, siguro tama 'yon," Santos said. "Kasi unang-una, kung ako 'yung player, mahihiya kasi ako na gawin 'yun, na alam ko na inalagaan ako ng FEU from high school. Nasaan 'yung parang utang na loob, 'di ba?"

"Parang ang lumalabas sa atin, sa laki ng offer ba, dahil ba sa offer ng ibang team? Dapat hindi ganoon. Kumbaga, hindi naman nagiging success ang isang tao dahil sa laki ng offer. Dapat isipin niya 'yon," he added.

Under the new rule, a high school athlete from a UAAP school who wishes to transfer to a different UAAP school in college should sit out two years, instead of one year as was previously mandated.

The new rule caused a firestorm among UAAP athletes and fans, with Ateneo Blue Eagle Kiefer Ravena among its most vocal critics.

At the center of the controversy is current FEU Baby Tamaraw Jerie Pingoy, who is said to be transferring to reigning five-peat champions Ateneo.

Santos, who said he has watched Pingoy play with the FEU juniors team from time to time, offered a few words of advice for the young guard.

"Simple lang," he said. "Kung maiintindihan niya itong salita na ito: Kung saan siya umusbong, dapat doon siya mamunga."

Santos played for the FEU Tamaraws from 2002 until 2005. He led the Tamaraws to three straight UAAP titles and won the Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year awards twice

xxiocebu
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Arwind by his own words should have continued playing for some College in Lumbao? Jere, Mbala, etc should be free to choose their schools. They just have to follow the rules. This new rule may be idiotic but if they still choose to go to the school they want so be it.

The rule is a reflection of the views held by current composition of the Board of the UAAP more than anything. Mr. Montinola just happens to be a short sighted and vindictive indivdiual and he has convinced his other board members to be such as well.

james_hunt
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Arwind by his own words should have continued playing for some College in Lumbao? Jere, Mbala, etc should be free to choose their schools. They just have to follow the rules. This new rule may be idiotic but if they still choose to go to the school they want so be it.

The rule is a reflection of the views held by current composition of the Board of the UAAP more than anything. Mr. Montinola just happens to be a short sighted and vindictive indivdiual and he has convinced his other board members to be such as well.

Jerie wouldn't have transferred and this whole mess shouldn't have happened had Ateneo not offered pingoy that house. You're against theuse of money in recruiting players yet used it to poach Pingoy from FEU. What gives? All this mess for a 5'7 PG??? Really??? :)

xxiocebu
03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
If were just money, FEU has a lot as well. Yes I am against the use of money. However I don't make the decisions. I all can do is (small) voice my displeasure and hope there are enough who feel the same so that limits are placed.

My displeasure in this case is that the kid said no, there was a rule in place to address that-Soc Rivera rule but For Montinola that was not enough. He railroads a rule a few weeks before graduation just to catch Jere. Normally UAAP board procedure has been if important an amendment is proposed it is praented and deliberated then is voted upon at the next meeting. Ito wala man lang intelligent deliberation. Presentation and vote lang.

Galit lang talaga si Montinola sa Ateneo because they were favored so many times but Ateneo still beats them. Either with a better team or FEU implodes.

LaKazTaMa
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Ilan b ang Voting Rights ng bawat members ng UAAP? pag ka alam ko ay isa lamang bawat team, nag nakaroon po ng botohan para dun sa Favor ay Feu,Dlsu,Ust at Ue , yun ayaw po ay Admu at Up , abstained kc HOst school ay Nu, majority wins ang Lumabas na Boto..totoo po yun ang pasimuno ay Feu pero katulad ng Dlsu ust at Ue hindi natin masasabi na naDiktahan cla ng Feu or whatever it is...malawak po ang kanilang pag iisip hindi po sunud sunuran pero bakit cla bumuto ng Favor? sa pag kaintndi nila ay tama lng iyon desisyon nila ..and i dont think mabibili o mag papabayad yan mga teams na yan eh Galit sa FEu yan. tama lng po iyan bawas sa so called GRAY AREAS ... hindi b simple lng yan sbi sa UAAP BOARD desisyon ay kung gusto mag aral o lumipat ng isang atleta sa isang school eh dapat cyang sumunod sa patakarang ng UAAP Rules and Regulations ..there is a choice still either You stay or go to your school of choice but you have to face the rules and regulations right.. its up to you then, your choice.nothing more.

and one more thing you say admu beats Feu so many times ,Yes but i begged to disagree OUtCoached lng po yun coach namin kc Mahal bayad ng Coach nyo empleyado po ni MVP , samantala yun samin ay palibre lng sa school tuitions Fee ni Don Anton . lol

LaKazTaMa
03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Ateneo's Ho, Valdez speak out against new UAAP rule
By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 03/13/2013 1:45 PM | Updated as of 03/13/2013 3:20 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Ateneo volleyball stars Gretchen Ho and Alyssa Valdez both disagree with a controversial new UAAP rule that mandates high school transferees to undergo a two-year residency period.

But while Valdez says UAAP athletes and fans have no choice but to comply with the new rule, Ho refuses to give up the fight.

“Sayang din ‘yung dalawang taon eh,” Valdez told ABS-CBNnews.com in an exclusive interview following a rehearsal for the game show “Minute to Win It” on Tuesday.

“For me, sayang ‘yung mga opportunities na binibigay ng ibang school for the students,” she added.

Valdez said she understands why the UAAP board would choose to implement the new rule, which requires high school athletes of a UAAP-member school to sit out two years if he/she chooses to transfer to a different UAAP school for college.

“Kasi siyempre, sayang din ‘yung mga binuild nila na players, tapos lilipat lang din ng school,” said Valdez, who sat out one year after transferring from the University of Sto. Tomas to Ateneo.

“Pero at the same time, kailangan din natin i-consider ‘yung iba. Kunwari ang Ateneo, wala naman silang (high school for girls),” she pointed out. “Conflict din kasi.”

Ho, who wrapped up her five-year UAAP career with Ateneo recently, was more forceful in her disagreement with the new rule.

“On Twitter, sabi ko, the new UAAP rule serves the institution more than the students, pero dapat ‘yung athletics is supposed to be for the development of the students above all, di ba?” Ho said.

“So iisipin mo, bakit nagdesisyon ng ganoon ‘yung board members? Is to protect their school? Pero bakit ba tayo nagtatayo ng team? Kasi gusto mo, ‘yung players mo, makuha nila ‘yung discipline ng sport, makakuha sila ng scholarship, matupad mo ‘yung mga pangarap nila,” she added. “When you do that, what do you protect? Just your school.”

Ho also said the new rule curtails a student-athlete’s freedom of choice.

“Unfair eh, kasi choice ng bata kung saan siya pupunta. Siguro kung galing ka ng college to (another) college, two years doon pwede. Pero kung high school to college – parang na-limit mo ‘yung options ng bata,” she said.

No choice

While Valdez is not a fan of the new UAAP rule, she said the student-athletes will have no choice but to comply.

“Andyan na ‘yan, tanggapin na rin natin,” she said. “Siguro, in the long run, may positive outcome naman.”

“Wala tayong pwedeng sabihin, kasi we’re just students na playing, student athletes. Kung ganoon na ‘yung rule nila, we don’t have a choice,” she added. “As of now, may brighter side naman siguro.”

But Ho is not giving up hope and is counting on Sen. Pia Cayetano to help their cause.

“Si Senator Pia, marami siyang magagawa. What she’s doing right now, I think, will make a difference,” said Ho.

Cayetano on March 8 published an open letter to the UAAP on her personal blog, asking: “What is the two-year residency requirement for other than to curtail the freedom of the young athlete to choose the college where he wants to study and play?”

Cayetano also pointed out that the new rule violates the Constitution.

“It goes against the Constitutional mandate to promote sports especially among our youth, and is an unreasonable limit on an athlete’s freedom of choice as well as academic freedom to choose which college to enter into,” she said.

Ho also believes that if more people speak out against the new rule, the UAAP board will have no choice but to reconsider.

“If people continue to speak out against it, siguro hindi nila hahayaan na ganoon lang,” she said.

Ho and Valdez joined a long list of UAAP athletes who have spoken out against the new rule, which also includes fellow Ateneo star Kiefer Ravena

LaKazTaMa
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
While Valdez is not a fan of the new UAAP rule, she said the student-athletes will have no choice but to comply.

“Andyan na ‘yan, tanggapin na rin natin,” she said. “Siguro, in the long run, may positive outcome naman.”

“Wala tayong pwedeng sabihin, kasi we’re just students na playing, student athletes. Kung ganoon na ‘yung rule nila, we don’t have a choice,” she added. “As of now, may brighter side naman siguro.”

xxiocebu
03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Rule is a rule. Yes it has been passed by the single entitled vote of each Board member.

But again look at how it was done. Quickly, No long deliberation which is the norm at UAAP board meetings and the usual procedure where the vote is done at the next meeting so members can go and discuss with their superiors/coaches/etc. Believe you me there were a lot of movement made by Mr. Montinola before that board meeting. Lots of convincing and a bit of horse trading..."good for the league" It could have been passed in a few weeks after deliberation/discussion with coaches, but it had to be passed then otherwise it would not apply to Jere.

For the record I find the addendum that now includes Mbala that was agreed to by Mr. Palou was vindictive as well. Hindi ito math, 2 negatives don't make a positive. However that is the result of rushing it. The proposal should have been presented and studied so that all other rules harmonize with it, as it stands now too many different situations result in different sit out years, it becomes much easier to just poach at the 2nd year HS level. They had a golden opportunity to actually sit down and address the recruitment issues. However in the haste to punish Jere they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

All that maybe left is further retaliation. If magalit yung matampuhing benefactor ng Ateneo ba magtapon na lang rin yun ng pera, syempre sasagot yung mayroon ring budget...... and that is the end of any semblance of competitiveness with the have-nots.

Ateneo may be my Alma Mater but I admire how UST competes almost year in and year out without much in the bank.

LaKazTaMa
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
So you think DLSU UST and UE officials were so stupid enough to a Yes vote? to tag along with Feu? i dont think so..thats an insults to them being Fooled by MR. Don Anton...Dlsu and Ust are known notoriuos in pirating or raiding HS athletes but then again they Voted Yes suprisingly meaning they understands now to Look or Protect their HOMEGRown Talents. Are you saying now ADMU takot mawalan ng Blu chip players o kaya ay wala ng makuha na HS star players at hindi makapasok F4 this S76..Be Manned Enough come on.

xxiocebu
03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
So you think DLSU UST and UE officials were so stupid enough to a Yes vote? to tag along with Feu? i dont think so..thats an insults to them being Fooled by MR. Don Anton...Dlsu and Ust are known notoriuos in pirating or raiding HS athletes but then again they Voted Yes suprisingly meaning they understands now to Look or Protect their HOMEGRown Talents. Are you saying now ADMU takot mawalan ng Blu chip players o kaya ay wala ng makuha na HS star players at hindi makapasok F4 this S76..Be Manned Enough come on.

I don't know what "be manned enough" means. Like I mentioned there were more behind the scenes between the Yes schools than just a mere vote. Even if there wasn't, don't you think those board members should have listened to the proposal then have gone back to their respective schools to consult. I don't mind the actual rule. The kids can still go the school of their choice, whether that school is willing to wait becomes the issue.

There was an opportunity to get it right, using what was going to happen to Pinggoy as an example. He was going to have to sit out one year anyway. Like I said in the haste to punish Pinggoy they may have just made things worse for the league going forward. From now on baka bawi-an na ang attitude. You know what they say, an eye for an eye makes the world blind.

fujima04
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Rejects na nga lang daw natitira palagi sa amin. Lahat halos ng players namin ngayon ay either pang-Team B lang muna or mga under the radar.

1. Teng at Bautista - Not good enough daw para ma-Team A.

2. Fortuna - Mas magaling daw si LA Revilla.

3. Mariano - Hindi man lang daw mapasama sa roster ng Red Cubs. Nagtryout sa UE. Hindi na-impress si Ironcoach.

4. Vigil - Pang-Team B lang daw ng DLSU.

5. Abdul - Sino daw ulit ito bago nag-college? Wala halos nakakakilala.

6. Pe - Kung hindi ito pumunta sa amin baka tulad siya ni Siarot hanggang ngayon na wala pang UAAP experience.

7. Ferrer - Second rate kay Keifer daw.

8. Lo, Lao, Tan, Daquioag, Garrido, Hainga, Mamaril, etc - Sino ba itong mga ito nung HS?

Notoriously pirating pa kami ng lagay na iyan. Kami nga palagi ang nawawalan ng HS stars, kami pa ang nangre-raid.

On topic: A rule has been made. Whether we like it or not, we have to live with it. Honestly, I don't see this rule will be turned anytime soon. If ever, let's just wait for that time to come.

Dami ng HS stars nawala sa amin pero hanggang ngawa lang kami. Nawala si Neypes, Onse, Fajardo, Santiagos, Valdez, etc - walang ganito. Kailangan lang pala ng isang Pingoy para magkaroon ng ganito.

LaKazTaMa
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
@XXiocebu- FYI . Don Anton cannot bribe nor influences any UAAP Board Members regarding this Matters or vice versa ,Pingoy is not after school academics as we know , he has the entire family to feed off ..Montinola cannot provide nor Match on what ADMU 's offered to his entire family and to him. be manned enough means bawasan na yun pag ka-swapang .

@fujimao4-oo nga Boss si Pingoy lng pala ang tamang sagot jan sa Gray Areas na yan..sbi nga ni ex-president Erap Estrada na nag aral din sa ADMU ay Weather weather lang yan. SUsme!! lol

mrjumbo03
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Way OT: IIRC, Ferrer was Ateneo-bound as he was recruited by the Blue and White. Things changed when he took the ACET and just wrote his name, expecting that will be enough.

fujima04
03-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Notwithstanding an Atenean (Sam Miguel or was it Manong Joe?) stated that Ferrer did his darned best or at least more than his name, but if you would insist that he just wrote his name thinking that would be enough to enter the walls of loyola.

I am more inclined to believe that he did it deliberately. Not sold he's that stupid to think that would be enough to pass the most difficult entrance test in the land. Perhaps he did not want to take it in the first place. Para pagbigyan at matigil na yung mga kumukulit sa na i-take yung test na yun.

Really? Name lang? Really? Tapos mag-expect pumasa? Ganun siya ka-stupid?

As with Pingoy, nasabi na ni Daddy Pingoy na pang-aaral talaga ginusto ni Jerie. Well he got 2 years para mag-aral mabuti. Like I said, I think the rule is here to stay. We have to live with it. Deal with it. Goodluck Jerie.

xxiocebu
03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Board members call each other every once in a while to discuss things.

You think FEU does not have resources? May be not as much as Ateneo, but you should know your own program. In fact just stop to consider that just may be Part of Pingoy's decision is the program and how badly it has been handled the past 5years. Then Ateneo has a good offer pa. Why play for someone who will shout at you from behind the bench during a game when he is not even part of the coaching staff? Someone who plays the blame game on players and coaches doing their best. A team that is constantly broiled in controversy.

I feel bad for FEU because I know the guy who took care of Tallo while he was being groomed for Ateneo. The difference is Jerie has already played and brought prominence to the team. Tallo left before he got UAAP PT. For the record the guy who took care of Tallo felt bad but was not vindictive even though with his bball connections he could be. To paraphrase him "ganyan talaga recruitment". I guess it is too much to expect Montinola to be a decent person and just accept it as the perils of recruitment.

I just hope the Tams as a team get their act together, on talent alone they have been a match or maybe even more for Ateneo the padt 6years. Sayang career ni RR, he should have been Johnny A level by now.

Shiznit
03-15-2013, 08:35 AM
fujima: kawawa naman ang kevin natin at kaya pala hindi nakapasok dahil bumagsak daw sa acet. buti pa si buenafe, salamat, baclao, al hussaini, nkemekolam, erram... pumasa...

Dark Knight
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Way OT: IIRC, Ferrer was Ateneo-bound as he was recruited by the Blue and White. Things changed when he took the ACET and just wrote his name, expecting that will be enough.

Wow, wait a minute here. Is this post a joke, an insult, sarcasm or what? Its unfair to Ferrer unless you can post here the actual result of his ACET.
Along with Buenafe's of course.

LaKazTaMa
03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Feu cannot match on what ADMU's Resources..thats is true..u have the Biggest Patron MVP ..sky the limits ika nga or name your Price pagdating sa Recruitments. you'd say Feu always broiled in controversy yeah right coz media people makes fun on it..meron din naman kayo ah..suppressed nga lng.

For tallo theres no room for him loaded na sa PG and SG ang Team kaya let go na cya tama ka ganyan talaga sa recruitment kahit may connections ka kung walang available spots wla rin ..eh hanap ng ibang teams.

hindi sayang Career ni RR malas lng kami sa Coach. eh mahal bayad ng Coach nyo.

xxiocebu
03-15-2013, 11:41 PM
We can go around and around all you want, a solid program starts with the person who has the last say. Even though he is an alumni of my alma mater, I don't anyone will argue that Montinola has done a crappy job while trying to steer FEU. Even the guy who is second in command (forgive me, he has done such a bad job job I forget his name, even if he was a Blue Eagle, just remembered Molina). If I was a CEO and looked at what they accomplished with the highly touted recruits and actual talents they have.... Trump would say.... You're fired.... So of course they have to resort to things like this. Everyone else is to blame. Some kid does not want to play for our program of spitters, tokets, and chokers.

james_hunt
03-16-2013, 01:08 AM
I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the house given to the Pingoy family, jerie would still be with FEU and all this mess wouldn't have happened. I hope he's all worth it. ;) Joe and Jeep were able to get a PG who's more athletic and will play ahead of Pingoy at a fraction of the cost - that's how it should've been for a guard. Now, if it was for a game changing 7-footer, ibang usapan yan. :)

gfy
03-16-2013, 07:22 AM
HS graduates should have the freedom to choose which college they want to go to and which course they want to take. They are embarking on a new journey - unlike college transferees. That is my objection to this rule. As Sen. Pia tweeted, 2 years is a long time for a student-athlete to wait. This rule also affected hundreds of student-athletes not named Pingoy. I hope the exodus of junior or sophomore HS student-athletes from UAAP schools, including FEU, will show how stupid this rule is.

xxiocebu
03-16-2013, 08:01 AM
I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the house given to the Pingoy family, jerie would still be with FEU and all this mess wouldn't have happened. I hope he's all worth it. ;) Joe and Jeep were able to get a PG who's more athletic and will play ahead of Pingoy at a fraction of the cost - that's how it should've been for a guard. Now, if it was for a game changing 7-footer, ibang usapan yan. :)

But isn't that part of the recruitment process of today? Ask the St. La Salle guys in Bacolod what the 3rd offer was to Montalbo. They were the ones who told me about it the day before all the press releases came out. Tapos deny pa na may incentives and business opportunities natanggap, kesho may pera naman daw mga Montalbo.

Speaking of game changers, the Mbala total package (inc the release and renovation fees) is absurd. You can get 2-3 guys from the same continent for that amount. Ateneo looked at it and said NO, DLSU paid it. Good for them. I hope he plays well against other Foreigners because I bet the way things are being mishandled by this UAAP Board, by the time he gets to play each team (inc Ateneo) will have their own 6'8" black guy. The skill will just depend on budget.

Bottom line is paying has become part of recruiting. I don't agree with it but perks and paying has become part of recruiting. FEU should not be surprised, they had a blue chip. They've played the paying game as well. What did they think, noone was going to make him offers? Dapat tinago na lang muna nila at di pinalaro kung ganun.

Like I said this was the perfect opportunity to address it by making a solid policy that was deliberated and discussed intelligently. But in the haste to punish Pinggoy, Montinola has punished every other non bball athlete.

james_hunt
03-16-2013, 08:45 AM
* post deleted *

fujima04
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I believe everybody agrees and acknowledges that perks of unlimited magnitude are already part of recruitment. Kamote na lang ang made-deny niyan.

Some quarters cries foul over it especially those who cannot afford to offer the same. The usual response ng mga "can afford" - pasensiya kayo kung hindi ninyo kaya makipagsabayan.

Now, Montinola found a way to counter it. Ayun! Ngayon si Montinola ang magsasabing pasensiya kayo. Dose of your own medicine. Kayo ngayon maghanap ng way to counter it.

Recruit while in HS? Go on. Let's see if payag mga benefactors ninyo maglabas ng laksa-laksang pera sa isang 2nd or 3rd year HS student na hindi pa sure kung magpeperform well in college.

Kaya nga nasabi kong isang Jerie Pingoy lang pala ang kailangan para matapatan ang pera-pera recruitment.

xxiocebu
03-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I agree this has stifled recruitment. I have never said I do not agree with the 2year waiting period per se. I will repeat then may be it can be understood. If the real reason was to control/cut the rampant and no holds barred recruitment (for the good of the league) then the proper way was to study it, deliberate how it would affect other sports, how it would affect pirating down to 2nd year HS level, etc.

But that would have been too late to catch Pinggoy. So forget about the other atletes, the other sports, damn other possible issues that may affect the league long term. Pigilin lang sa Pinggoy okay na.

I'm all for controlling the spending on recruits. I'm all for keeping amateurism but don't throw a rule out there without looking at te long term effects on the UAAP. What if the haves all of sudden become vindictive as well and decide to leave and put up a league that shares tv profits with schools and players/coaches?

Too many scenarios that should have been discussed and deliberated by intelligent people. The consequences of this go way beyond Pinggoy.

BLUE HORSE
03-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Recruit while in HS? Go on. Let's see if payag mga benefactors ninyo maglabas ng laksa-laksang pera sa isang 2nd or 3rd year HS student na hindi pa sure kung magpeperform well in college.

Kaya nga nasabi kong isang Jerie Pingoy lang pala ang kailangan para matapatan ang pera-pera recruitment.

Hello, it is already going on in the UAAP. Look at the roster of NU high school. Where did NU get all of their players all of a sudden? Does NU even have a viable feeder system outside of a platinum card. Cani was already playing for LSGH only to reappear in the UAAP as a one and done. Aric del Rosario brought in a Kabalen in Cortez and FEU has all the players from the Visayas and Mindanao.

fujima04
03-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Hello, it is already going on in the UAAP. Look at the roster of NU high school. Where did NU get all of their players all of a sudden? Does NU even have a viable feeder system outside of a platinum card. Cani was already playing for LSGH only to reappear in the UAAP as a one and done. Aric del Rosario brought in a Kabalen in Cortez and FEU has all the players from the Visayas and Mindanao.

I never said it is not happening. Jaja Santiago was in 2nd year HS when she was recruited by NU together with her ate. It's not a package deal. It's not as if kinuha siya para pumayag ate niya lumipat.

NU's benefactors willing to take the risks of the possibility when these HS recruits turned out to be a bust in college. Can you say the same for your school's benefactors?

Alam kong matagal na ang recruitment in HS. Even our own Alwyn Espiritu noon 3rd year HS na sa Torres HS sa Tondo nung ma-recruit namin. I know din about the FERN boys out of vis-min. But this is not the same recruitment I am referring of.

When I stated "recruit in HS" in my previous post, I mean the current recruitment practice of sky's the langit. This is in response dun sa mga nagsasabi na bring the recruitment down to 2nd & 3rd year level in order to circumvent the rule.

The difference ng sinasabi kong HS recruitment noon at ngayon ay "compensation". Tulad nga ng sabi ni james_hunt, wala siguro itong brouhaha na ito kung hindi dahil sa binigay. Hindi engot si Montinola, alam niya rin yan kaya nagkaroon ng Pingoy Rule.

Kaya nga sabi ko sa previous post ko, Montinola might be smiling and saying it's your turn to look for a subtle way to counter his move. Ngayon ang tanong, Willing ba ang mga benefactors ninyo to bring the recruitment++ sa HS level?

mrjumbo03
03-16-2013, 11:08 PM
The rule, as currently worded, is shortsighted and ill-conceived as xxiocebu has been saying, which leads one to believe that this really was approved hastily to punish Pingoy. They had to pass it now or else it wouldn't apply to him.

I for one do not have a problem with requiring the 2 year residency rule if they think that it will curb the so-called piracy/recruitment/whateveryouwannacallit (I don't - 3rd year transfer to Reedley or the NCAA as a possible loophole, doesn't address sitting out the senior year, what about if you play for a specific sport and get a scholarship for another, school doesn't have a team in the juniors like football for ADU etc). But the biggest problem of the rule, as currently worded, is the absence of the waiver provision which really hurts the non-blue chip athletes, specially those in the sports we don't see in TV.

These loopholes, and the possibility of including the waiver provision, could have been discussed and studied more if the rule was not hastily passed. If only they had played their cards right, they could have formulated a better rule, which in turn would have addressed the problem better. Sure, it probably wouldn't have made it in time for S76, but is sure as hell will help the league in the long run. But alas, hell hath no fury like Anton Montinola scorned.

xxiocebu
03-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Or even a scenario wherein a role player on the HS team doesn't have a chance to play for his college because the line up is too strong. He could have been offered a spot and a scholarship by a non powerhouse like UP. Pero since UP is not a powerhouse they can't give it to a player who is not a star.

Kid has no place to play and now his low income parents now have to find a way to send him to college, when his meager bball skills could have been his ticket.

These can all be sorted out in IRR but even our inept Members of the House of Representative know tha IRR cannot expand the general rule.

So again throw everyone else's future out the wondow, basta di lang maka-laro si Pinggoy para sa Ateneo.

LaKazTaMa
03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I used to remembered your own man HS Star BJ Manalo who chooses to play to DLSU over ADMU ...Admu cried out loud, everytime they see him play they call him traydor ng bayan..excommunicado pa cya..sbi pa ng Alunmi nyo ay Sakit sakit naman ng ginawa mo Mr Bj manalo..but according to him (BJ) eh maliit anf offer ng Admu keysa Dlsu so inshort na-pirate c MR BJ ng dahil sa malaking Offered. Alumni blames management for not keeping him at all cost at napunta pa sa rivals team nila but management did nothing bcoz their main objectives was to lures best players in HS to lucrative incentives ... Pingoy na Pingoy ang dating d b?

Now, palitan natin yun Name na Pingoy to KIEFER RAVENA --papayagan kaya uli kayo na mawala cya sa inyo ng ganun na lng tulad na HS star BJ Manalo na tila hindi pa rin kayo maka MOved -on.

they mentioned the game changers MBAla na ridiculious yun offerd ng DLSU at hindi kinuha ng ADMU . d ba ganun din c Sgt. Greg slaughter nyo d rin kinuha ng ibang Teams kc ridiculious din yun offerd nyo.

To the senator who is trying to meddle in UAAP affairs ..PLS STOP ..there are more important things to do, meron Pong National issue na nagaganap po sa buong bansang Pilpinas tulad po ng SABAH issue na sentisibo.. dun na lng po kayo magbigay ng inyong opinyon wag po D2 ..dahil sa totoo lng Po ..election po ngayon at kung gusto nyo mag palad ng Papel hindi po ito ang tamang Venue..kaya PO ito ng UAAP League kung sakaling lumala itong bagong RULINg ay sa KORTE SUPREMA po kami pupunta dahil wala naman Credibilidad ang inyong institusyosn.

Sbi nga ng Post ni Fujima04 eh naisahan cla ni Don Anton Checkmate! its you turn counter it.

Correstions pala dun sa na-post ko Yes Vote ADU DLSU FEU UE UST Against Vote ADMU UP Abstained NU

LaKazTaMa
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
ADMU dont Blame FEU for this Pingoy's Brouhaha and for incoming HS athletes ..it is you to Blame why? nanahimik yun batang Pingoy at masaya na dahil sa scholarships na provided ng school para na Siblings nya..Enter ang officials sa eksena yun ADMU kinausap yun Tatay na Pingoy..sa madaling salita na sweet talked yun Matandang pingoy eh malupet yun offered cant resist ika nga..Boom! next thing we know mag aaral n lng dw sa ADMU yun anak nya.

but Montinola wont give up w/o a figth , ang kay PEdro ay kay Pedro, to stop this madness takbo sa Uaap board aired his side.. results 2years HS residency.

Now whose to Blame?

LaKazTaMa
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Signing bonuses the root of all evil in recruitment, says UP head coach
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
1:01 pm | Saturday, March 16th, 2013
32 213 178

MANILA Philippines — “Fat” signing bonuses are being thrown around and the deep-pocketed universities end up with the blue-chip recruits—a harsh reality check in college basketball recruitment today as far as University of the Philippines head coach Ricky Dandan is concerned.

And for UP, which is familiar with the view from the cellar in the UAAP, it’s just a matter of swallowing that reality.

“We make do of what we have. At least the guys we have genuinely wants to go to UP, and not because they’re being paid to go to UP,” Dandan said in an interview with INQUIRER.net.

These realities have altered college basketball, one way or another — and the amended UAAP residency rule, which caused uproar online and among athletes themselves, is just one of the offshoots.

“Definitely, off shoot lahat ng yan,” he said.

From just serving a year of residency, a high school student who graduated from a UAAP school enrolling to a university of another member now has to sit out two years. And while, according to the UAAP, it protects one school’s juniors program– it limits choices of the players, who are also students first.

“There were reasons for that, for the most part, lahat nangyari because of player poaching. You can’t blame the other schools who are, well, “victims” of being poached payers from,” said Dandan.

“But like the others say, I actually agree that playing for any school is a privilege and a high school kid who graduates has the right to choose which school he wants to go to. But then if there are rules, rules should be followed,” he added.

Dandan said UP doesn’t exactly take a direct hit from the amended residency rule, saying “We don’t actually recruit from the other UAAP schools.”

“Most of those who come to UP are mostly walk-ins. But then, not to mention any school, in UP we actually can’t afford what the others give,” he said.

But he believes there are far bigger concerns in college basketball here — where an alarming amount of signing bonuses and monthly incentives are dangled to the athletes, starts evil.

“I think the root of all the evil here is the signing bonuses, which all the moneyed schools will give to the recruits. That’s probably the realities of recruitment now,” Dandan said.

Stricter rules for recruitment, like in the US-NCAA, would be a good place to start.

“In my mind, I’d like for, specifically the college leagues, stricter rules regarding signing bonuses and fat monthly allowances — or salaries if you will — parang pang-pro na eh yung mga bibinigay sa iba eh,” Dandan added. “Of course, if there will be a rule against it I don’t think it would be a deterrent, but then if there’s a rule that’s better than not having one.”

But with whatever rule the UAAP has right now, “Wala naman ibang pwedeng gawin. Let’s just comply.”

LaKazTaMa
03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Buti pa si Coach Dandan hindi narrow minded nor shortsighted naintindihan ang Ruling na if there are rules, Rules should be followed , whatever rule the UAAP has right now , lets just comply. kung nagkataon maybe yes vote Adu Dlsu Feu Ue and Up against Admu one senator abstained Nu.

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 07:37 AM
I guess you don't see my point or what I am driving at. I am all for curbing spending. I am all for finding a way to save amateurism. Yes, I do NOT like how my alma mater has further fueled the arms race. These are things I have said over and over again, please read back.

I have even said I have no issues with the 2year rule because it has been passed by the board. Now please read slowly...my issue is HOW it was passed. NO deliberation on how it would affect athletes from other sports. NO deliberation how it may just move recruting to the 2nd year HS level.

Let me give another scenario. Team will now be recruiting from non UAAP schools out of HS. They will take spots of again homegrown HS players who could have been 10th-12th guys on the bench. Those guys could have gotten a scholarship someplace else, but are not good enough to be waited for 2 years. So again a guy who could have been a role playing getting a scholarship somewhere now has no place to go, and has to pay tuition.

You can talk Manalo, Pinggoy, Mbala etc all you want. However the rule does not apply only to them. It applies to every student athlete trying to get a UAAP scholarship. The more you emphasize these "priced" recruits the more you emphasize they are not the norm. Basketball and Pinggoy are not the UAAP, Montinola crafted a rule to punish one player that now punishes hundreds of HS players trying to get scholarships.

Montinola should have brought the proposal up months ago, they knew Pinggoy wanted out. The rule could have been discussed and deliberated. All these issues could have been addressd. Problema lang kung masyadong maaga baka makagalaw ang kalaban. I guess Ateneo could have had Pinggoy not finish HS at FEU if they knew about the 2year wait. Di rin makakachampion FEU Jrs if pinggoy decides to leave mid year and repeat 4th year someplace else.

Montinola is not stupid enough to allow for proper deliberation of a rule affecting hundreds today and tens of thousands in the future when it could ruin his plan to punish Pinggoy.

You want me to repeat and summarize?........ I'm all for rules to curtail spending on recruitment, just don't pass a rule not thought out and properly deliberated. It just shows the board does not have the welfare of students as a consideration.

JVboy
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
I fully agree with xxiocebu. It is really unfair and unjust to let others suffer because of one. I cannot understand why the UAAP board supported (majority of them ) this proposal and made it into a rule when it is apparent that it was crafted to "punish" a single individual.

And I do not think Jerie Pinggoy should be "punished" as well. He gave FEU at least 2 seasons of stellar performance, and gave them the championship this season. I think he did his part for FEU.

The board, instead, should have come up with a rule that prohibits corruption of minor or high school athletes by way of "bribes" and perks. If the UAAP board has this kind of rule in effect I think this whole Pinggoy incident would have been avoided.

james_hunt
03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I still think the rule will be changed once the new hosts take over from NU.

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I still think the rule will be changed once the new hosts take over from NU.

Doesn't that make it look even more vindictive?

jmikery
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I used to remembered your own man HS Star BJ Manalo who chooses to play to DLSU over ADMU ...Admu cried out loud, everytime they see him play they call him traydor ng bayan..excommunicado pa cya..sbi pa ng Alunmi nyo ay Sakit sakit naman ng ginawa mo Mr Bj manalo..but according to him (BJ) eh maliit anf offer ng Admu keysa Dlsu so inshort na-pirate c MR BJ ng dahil sa malaking Offered. Alumni blames management for not keeping him at all cost at napunta pa sa rivals team nila but management did nothing bcoz their main objectives was to lures best players in HS to lucrative incentives ... Pingoy na Pingoy ang dating d b?

Now, palitan natin yun Name na Pingoy to KIEFER RAVENA --papayagan kaya uli kayo na mawala cya sa inyo ng ganun na lng tulad na HS star BJ Manalo na tila hindi pa rin kayo maka MOved -on.

they mentioned the game changers MBAla na ridiculious yun offerd ng DLSU at hindi kinuha ng ADMU . d ba ganun din c Sgt. Greg slaughter nyo d rin kinuha ng ibang Teams kc ridiculious din yun offerd nyo.

To the senator who is trying to meddle in UAAP affairs ..PLS STOP ..there are more important things to do, meron Pong National issue na nagaganap po sa buong bansang Pilpinas tulad po ng SABAH issue na sentisibo.. dun na lng po kayo magbigay ng inyong opinyon wag po D2 ..dahil sa totoo lng Po ..election po ngayon at kung gusto nyo mag palad ng Papel hindi po ito ang tamang Venue..kaya PO ito ng UAAP League kung sakaling lumala itong bagong RULINg ay sa KORTE SUPREMA po kami pupunta dahil wala naman Credibilidad ang inyong institusyosn.

Sbi nga ng Post ni Fujima04 eh naisahan cla ni Don Anton Checkmate! its you turn counter it.

Correstions pala dun sa na-post ko Yes Vote ADU DLSU FEU UE UST Against Vote ADMU UP Abstained NU

Yun nga e, lumipat si Manalo and hindi natuwa Ateneo pero tinanggap pa rin. Hindi sinubukan pigilan ang paglaro ni BJ sa DLSU. Lumipat rin si BJ noong time na yun dahil hindi pa established program ng Ateneo while La Salle was a factory of great guards and BJ was in line to take over from Ritualo as the next star guard along with Cortez. Compare that to Pinggoy who will have to battle Romeo and Tolomia after RR Garcia leaves. Factor in education and mahihirapan talaga FEU na iretain siya.

Similar situation rin si Mike Gamboa who was a star in the UAAP Juniors. Dinevelop siya ng Ateneo since Grade 4/5 at sumikat siya. Nung papasok siya ng college, may Jai Reyes and Monfort na matagal pa maglalaro kaya if ever makapasok siya, wala talagang playing time. Instead, naglaro siya sa UP and hindi siya pinigilan.

Dark Knight
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
So there are two main reasons a HS player will transfer school.

1. The player will find no playing time if he stays.

2. According to Dandan, it's all about the money.

Gamboa and Soc transferred to UP because they see no playing time if they stayed with Ateneo and FEU respectively. Pingoy...lets face it and admit it....that he was lured by money.

And of course...the prestige of studying at Ateneo.

Like i said, it's the kids decision, let him go. Even if FEU matched what Ateneo has offered, Ateneo is still the best choice, school wise.

But Jerie....suffer the consequences. Fame does'nt come cheap...or free.

Dark Knight
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
I copied this paragraph from Sir Joe's post at UAAP thread.

"Those trips to FEU-FERN must have been cruel for Soc. This place witnessed the apex of Soc’s career. Now, it’ll have to witness Soc while he’s at rock bottom. Those trips remind him of what he had, and also taunt him with glimpses of what could have been.

“Mas napaganda siguro yung career ko kung di na ako umalis sa FEU,” Soc admitted. “Magaling talaga sila mag-develop ng players. Nagkamali siguro ako na playing time agad sa UP ang inisip ko.”

Soc Rivera took the last spoonful of his halo-halo and stared blankly at the wall. “Baka ako yung nasa lugar ni Aldrech Ramos ngayon.”

He knows it is too late for him. He can’t go back and patch things up with FEU anymore. But at this moment, he wants one person in particular to learn from his mistakes."

james_hunt
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Doesn't that make it look even more vindictive?

Anton Montinola, vindictive?

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
I will say what I said in that thread. One cannot compare the bball programs of UP and Ateneo. Not UPs fault but Ateneo's Training here and abroad offers the athlete to develop.

Recruiting of Ateneo. Manalo, talo Ateneo. Move on. Buenafe and Salva, nakuha. Move on. Jeric Teng went to UST. Move on. Slaughter and Ravena panalo. Move on. Mbala and Montalbo talo. Move on. You win some, you lose some. If the kid doesn't want to play for you, whether lousy or losing program, whether he wants the playing time of a star somewhere, maybe he like the coach of the other team. Heck it's probably the money what are going to do. It's a free country and so far there are no spending limit.

Look at the DLSU program the past 3-5 years. Always with at least 2-3 prized recruits. Torres, AVO, even the steal from Ateneo, etc yet they still haven't put it together. Players still go to them or stay. Money and quality of the program.

Recruitment is hit or miss and is just part of the process. A quality school and a quality program is part of the attraction. Like I mentioned the FEU program is in shambles. The coaching and unddermining of it. The different factions na have their own interests. Players not getting significantly better every year. Pinggoy and Ateno's recruitment of him is just another way of Montinola to deflect attention on how he ruined a powerhouse from within.

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM

He doesn't want to let Pinggoy go, like a guy who can't let go of a girlfriend who has moved on. If the rule is changed again next year it shows it was even more just single out Pinggoy. Maybe I should repeat, I don't mind the rule if it does curb spending. The haste shows otherwise, it was meant to catch and punish one player. One year residency was already in place, apparently that was not enough for Don Anton.

We can use scheming and underhanded if you want.

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM

He doesn't want to let Pinggoy go, like a guy who can't let go of a girlfriend who has moved on. If the rule is changed again next year it shows it was even more just single out Pinggoy. Maybe I should repeat, I don't mind the rule if it does curb spending. The haste shows otherwise, it was meant to catch and punish one player. One year residency was already in place, apparently that was not enough for Don Anton.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
So you were saying now Moro-moro lng ang Botohan w/o proper deliberation or whatsoever? pde bang mag Meeting ng walang Basehan?..Do you really really think they just handed out or cast their votes easily w/o proper Deliberations? there is proper deliberations contrary on what you think kaya may Botohan , kung walang deliberation eh walng Botohan , tama b? thats funny thou..Adu Dlsu feu Ust and Ue officials fools by Certain Don Anton through bribery as you were trying to say. cguro naman yun mga Officials ng Uaap Board ay hindi naman TAMBAY jan sa Morayta o RECTO lng . Tig-isa lng Po ang Boto nila.

Simple lng yun Concerned mo sa affected future and present Hs Athletes - Kung gusto pa nila tumuloy sa Uaap league they must abide the Rules and regulations of the said Uaap League or kung hindi cla willing sa Rules ng Uaap pdeng cla Pumunta sa kabilang Liga sa NCAA..Para naman sa inyo kung tingin nyo ay dehado kayo sa Ruling (which is impossible) ay pede kayong Mag Sit-out ng one Season tapos kung kulang pa rin pag sit-out as a sign of protest nyo pdeng na rin kayong Bumalik kung san kayo Galing sa NCAA.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Matagal ng Pinayagan si Pingoy katunayan ksama cya sa mga daily scrimmages ng Team nyo pati sa Gilas courtesy Of MVP .FYI

xxiocebu
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Of course Pinggoy was leaving they're just making it harder. Exactly why I use the terms punish and vindictive. Hinintay lang magchampion ang JRs baka umalis pa before then.

I'm tired of repeating my self but I will again. Normal course for major amendments is proposal, then the vote at the next meeting so board members can discuss with their schools or coaches. There was not even a long deliberation on this one. Ask around if you need confirmation. Just like those railroaded policies you see at or hear of in corporate battles. Presentation, short deliberation, vote. Plantsado na lahat even before the meeting.

I don't know why those schools voted that way. They may have their own agendas. Regardless of motive they were not willing to have long deliberations that may get past the Pinggoy deadline. Why not discuss intelligently and consult their coaches, team managers, school officials, etc? Maybe it could be as simple as anthing that doesn't make Ateneo stronger is fine, damn the consequences on all other kids.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
No need to asked around for confirmation.. Read this.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Changes to UAAP eligibility rules eyed following tug-of-war for Pingoy
By Reuben Terrado

January 19, 2013, 02:33 pm

Under UAAP eligibility rules, FEU juniors star Jerie Pingoy needs to redshirt for one year if he transfers to Ateneo in college but will be eligible to play next season if he stays with the Tamaraws. Jerome Ascano

THE UAAP is considering rule changes on residency rules for high school players switching to other schools in college in the wake of the recruitment 'tug-of-war' for Far Eastern University juniors star Jerie Pingoy.

UAAP president Nilo Ocampo said that Pingoy’s situation was touched ‘in passing’ during Wednesday’s regular board meeting, but added that nothing definite was decided on the issue.

However, Ocampo agreeed that they may be a need to implement changes on the eligibility rules for the protection of league members which nurture potential stars from the junior ranks.

“Nothing serious naman (about that) pero what we want to do is to protect the schools,” Ocampo said. “Gusto rin namin alagaan ‘yung integrity ng each school.”

Following his stellar juniors career with the Baby Tamaraws marked a UAAP championship and two MVP awards, Pingoy is reportedly set to transfer and play his college ball with Ateneo following his graduation from the Morayta-based school.

FEU officials have raised a howl over the impending move, insisting that the Cebuano guard has signed an an agreement to play for the Tamaraws in college.

Under current UAAP rules, a high school player must red-shirt for one year if he transfers to another school in college but head straight to the college varsity team if he stays with his mother school.

In his case, Pingoy will have to sit out next season if he chooses to play for the Blue Eagles. Meanwhile, he will eligible to play next year if he decides to stick with the Tamaraws.

Ocampo said that an extension of the residency period from one to two years could be among the rules changes considered by the league's amendments committee.

There may also be a need for a new rule that would discourage the practice of one school 'pirating' a player from another member school.

“’Yung usual, residency ng college and pati high school, ‘yung one year, baka gawin two years and … lay your cards on the table (in terms of recruitment) para wala na ‘yung through the backdoor, ‘yung mga ganun,” Ocampo explained.

“We have an amendments committee that is studying our rules. Maybe it’s about time to check our rules, baka mag-recommend sila for the future,” he added.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
New UAAP rule meant to protect schools' juniors program, says official
By Reuben Terrado

March 06, 2013, 08:10 pm

Jerie Pingoy won two UAAP MVP awards in his final seasons in high school with FEU. Jerome Ascano

THE move to increase the residency requirements of high school transferees from one to two years was meant to protect the high school programs of the UAAP's eight member schools.

This was bared by UAAP amendments committee head Em Fernandez of Ateneo as he defended the controversial rule change that has sparked a backlash from both players and fans.

The UAAP board voted 5-2 to pass the rule change on Tuesday, with Fernandez' Ateneo and the University of the Philippines the only dissenting vote.

“Basically, it’s the consensus of the other schools because Ateneo and UP voted against it,” said Fernandez. “But (the other schools) want to protect their high school program, which is technically geared for their college program.”

Once the rule takes effect next season, two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy of Far Eastern University will have to decide on whether to push through with a plan to move to Ateneo or stay with the Tamaraws.

Pingoy will have to go through a two-year residency if he chooses the Blue Eagles and will only be eligible to play in the league by 2015. However, he will be eligible for next season if the stays with the Tamaraws.

The new rule drew mostly adverse reactions from players and fans on social networking sites, but Fernandez admitted that such debates are normal.

“Even naman ‘yung old rule, before it was implemented, there was a lot of negative reaction,” Fernandez said. "I think it should be further reviewed because there were certain scenarios which were brought about.

“For example, what about schools without a girls division? What about UAAP high school since not all UAAP sports have a high school counterpart? How do you deal with that? There are certain things that need to be addressed,” Fernandez added.

Fernandez also clarified that the new rule isn’t technically in effect.

“I can’t say it’s really final because the year isn’t over and any rule change that will be amended in Season 75 will take effect in Season 76. Season 75 isn’t over yet,” said Fernandez.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
hindi pa b long Deliberations yan check dates. pls. fyi

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Ano hirit pa. LOl

BigBlue
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
regardless if they had long deliberations, short deliberations or no deliberations, in the end, the vote was about self-interest, and not the greater good of the individuals affected, the student-athletes.

LaKazTaMa
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
the Rules maybe Punitive it seems but you still got choice to make stayed or Leave. you decide your destiny.

roborat
03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Interesting read on a former FEU-FERN Baby Tamaraw. Very painful story.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/299616/sports/campussports/uaap-searching-for-soc-rivera

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 12:24 AM

I'm disappointed you didn't sense the sarcasm in my post.

xxiocebu
03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
First let me commend you on your researching in newspapers and deducing deliberation from those dates.

Second let me aplogize in my misunderstanding of the issues. My limited as a member of different ManComs, Boards, and Committees it was always taught to me that a deliberation starts when a proposal in its final form is formally presented before the body in a meeting called for that purpose. Any previous discussion, whether in passing or otherwise, previous to a formal proposal of the actual worded rule can not officially be referred to. This is to ensure the proposal as worded is the one that actually passes. However since it seems this practice is unacceptable to you I will point out to any board I am on that any mention of any issue should already be contsrued as deliberation. In fact my mention of it in that meeting should already contrued as a proposal and any comments on it should be considered as deliberation.

I was also taught that when referring to length of deliberation, it refers to the actual time spent discussing the issue in a board meeting. The time in between when it was first brought up (in passing or otherwise) to the meeting when it was passed is inconsequential. I have been in meetings where something deliberated upon a previous meeting was not on the agenda in that meeting. It was not deliberated then despite the board meeting. It was decided on in a later meeting. I will be sure to bring up your definition of "long deliberation" in the next meeting that way I can start collecting per diems per day from when an issue is brought up until its resolution regardless of whether there is a meeting or not, regardless whether the issue was brought up or not.

Thank you for the insight.

gfy
03-19-2013, 08:57 AM
^ The UAAP Board can't be compared with other Boards. Even before a meeting, Montinola et al already are talking to other members about a proposal that they will present to the Board. Meron ng horse-trading dyan, Chicago-style backroom deals, and so forth. Mga self-interest din ang umiiral sa mga kokote ng karamihan dyan. Di na pinag-uusapan ang mga possible consequences ng mga decisions nila...

xxiocebu
03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
That occurs in other boards, even in the ones I have fortunate and unfortunate to have been on. However to be legitimately called a Board regardless of what happens behind the scenes there are procedures to be followed. Proposing, opening up for deliberation/discussion/amendments, seconding, etc.

Based on the lesson that we have been taught by Mr. Tama and his research it seems that the UAAP does not have any procedure when issues/rules/amendments are brought forth. That deliberations start the minute something is mentioned and does not stop or recess until the issue is voted upon. Kahit muni-munihan ko lang sa traffic coming home from a meeting kasama na yun deliberations.

I would have begged to differ and argued that even though I do not agree with how they arrive at things I would think the UAAP Board would still have some protocol to follow, but what do I know. Humihirit lang naman ako. :)

Dark Knight
03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Whatever exchange of opinions we throw at each other, here is the stark reality for us to swallow

1. Pingoy will leave FEU and play for Ateneo.

2. Pingoy must wait 2 years to establish residency.

The end.

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Based on the lesson that we have been taught by Mr. Hunt and his research it seems that the UAAP does not have any procedure when issues/rules/amendments are brought forth. That deliberations start the minute something is mentioned and does not stop or recess until the issue is voted upon. Kahit muni-munihan ko lang sa traffic coming home from a meeting kasama na yun deliberations.

)

What research? Wasn't me who brought up the issue on deliberations it was Lakaztama from FEU. I merely stated your oversight on my sarcastic post about Anton being vindictive. Read first before you post.

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
^ The UAAP Board can't be compared with other Boards. Even before a meeting, Montinola et al already are talking to other members about a proposal that they will present to the Board. Meron ng horse-trading dyan, Chicago-style backroom deals, and so forth. Mga self-interest din ang umiiral sa mga kokote ng karamihan dyan. Di na pinag-uusapan ang mga possible consequences ng mga decisions nila...

Ricky and Em voted to have foreign transferees sit out two years. They've been talking to other board reps about it ever since we got Mbala...

Shiznit
03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
^ They should be consistent with their position (both local and foreigners) :)

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
^ They should be consistent with their position (both local and foreigners) :)

I concur. That's why we're not making a big fuss about Mbala sitting two years. :)

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I concur :)

xxiocebu
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
What research? Wasn't me who brought up the issue on deliberations it was Lakaztama from FEU. I merely stated your oversight on my sarcastic post about Anton being vindictive. Read first before you post.

Please accept my sincerest apologies. It is sometimes quite hard to sort thru Lakaztama's posts. The language he uses is something I just cannot quite grasp even though I try to keep an open mind. I may still have been dizzy from all the research from trying to decipher "be manned enough" really means. I had the last thought of your sarcasm comment/post in my head when I thanked him for the knowledge that he has imparted upon me.

Again. My deepest apologies for confusing you with Mr "tama".

gfy
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
My inside info is that FEU was already thinking of imposing a 2-year residency rule for imports like Mbala way, way back. I even posted this at the Ateneo section. Maybe, just maybe Palou voted the way he did after DLSU voted in favor of the Pingoy rule which was voted first. Besides sabi nga ni Baculi 2 years na lang lahat haha. Eh bakit yung fil-foreigners one year lang?

LaKazTaMa
03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Haha my apology too Mr. James_Hunt . naguluhan lng si xxiocebu.

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 11:08 PM
My inside info is that FEU was already thinking of imposing a 2-year residency rule for imports like Mbala way, way back. I even posted this at the Ateneo section. Maybe, just maybe Palou voted the way he did after DLSU voted in favor of the Pingoy rule which was voted first. Besides sabi nga ni Baculi 2 years na lang lahat haha. Eh bakit yung fil-foreigners one year lang?

UAAP board rep : "kalokohan yan one year residency for foreign transferees , La Salle lang makikinabang dyan!"

Guess who?

Hint : wasn't Anton Montinola.

james_hunt
03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Please accept my sincerest apologies. It is sometimes quite hard to sort thru Lakaztama's posts. The language he uses is something I just cannot quite grasp even though I try to keep an open mind. I may still have been dizzy from all the research from trying to decipher "be manned enough" really means. I had the last thought of your sarcasm comment/post in my head when I thanked him for the knowledge that he has imparted upon me.

Again. My deepest apologies for confusing you with Mr "tama".

No worries.

gfy
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I'd be interested to know WHO proposed this 2-year residency rule for foreigners to the Board. Was it Ateneo? That comment, if true, may just be a reaction to the Pingoy rule which had earlier been passed. Also, I object to the Pingoy rule not because of Pingoy not being able to immediately play for Ateneo but because of the reasons I already posted before.

xxiocebu
03-20-2013, 07:55 AM
UAAP board rep : "kalokohan yan one year residency for foreign transferees , La Salle lang makikinabang dyan!"

Guess who?

Hint : wasn't Anton Montinola.

Like I mentioned kitang kitang ang vindictiveness ni Montinola, what if the other schools return that sentiment? It looks like that has already sparked. It will result in the need for more resources to keep or attract players. The gap between the have and have nots will increase. The already intense recruiting/spending wars will get even more out of hand and the league will implode.

I apologize again for not recognizing your sarcasm. It seems mine was also wasted on someone else. See what happens if you don't deliberate (my "wrong" definition of course).

james_hunt
03-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I actually welcome the Senate "inquiry" tomorrow. I hope jerie gets a chance to say something instead of other athletes.... Perfect time for him to plead his case.

Shiznit
03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
funny that this already became a national concern.

LaKazTaMa
03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
the usuals suspect of coz Don anton. Meron bang Iba?

LaKazTaMa
03-23-2013, 10:36 PM
UAAP residency rule ‘good’ for UST, says university exec
But UST has no plans of dangling money in recruitment
By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net 7:12 pm | Saturday, March 23rd, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — As early as second year in highschool, the junior athletes of University of Santo Tomas are getting recruitment letters and being courted by other schools.

This is why, Fr. Ermito De Sagon O.P., Insitute of Physical Education and Athletics (IPEA) director member, said UST would actually benefit from the amended residency rule.

From one year, a high school student now needs to sit out two years when enrolling in another UAAP member school in college.

“The new rule is good for us. They have been taking our athletes away,” De Sagon told the reporters after the closing ceremonies on Saturday.

“Actually yung iba nasa second year palang sinisulatan na sila eh. Like your girls now in [UST] volleyball,” de Sagon shared.

UAAP said this rule aims to protect one school’s juniors program.

UST has always had a stellar athletic program in high school, and it has a fourth straight UAAP juniors overall championship to show for it.

But not all of these noted athletes go on to play for UST in the seniors’ division. De Sagon, though, knows though that there is only so much they can do.

“We’re trying to keep them. But as usual, we cannot force them to stay with us,” said De Sagon.

Recruitment

The first step in building a good athletic program starts with recruitment, which is getting real competitive these days in the league.

But De Sagon says UST has no plans of dangling money or signing bonuses to athletes to sway them to enroll in UST.

“We pursue our policy of amateurism. Ayaw nating magbayad ng mga athletes para maglaro sa’tin [We don’t like to pay athletes to play for us],” said De Sagon.

“Hindi tayo makikipagsabay [We are not going to compete that way]. Importante ang value formation [Value formation is important]. We’re not going to destroy our value systems even if we want to be champions.”

“It’s not winning at all cost. We want to win, we want to win the championship honestly and focusing on our core core values,” De Sagon added.

This year, UST lost its longtime hold of the UAAP seniors division general championship to La Salle after an unpredecented 14 straight seasons.

A lot of UST teams, especially in the second conference, had a significant dip in their placing, and De Sagon admits, “hindi nakafocus ng maayos [they weren’t focused properly].”

LaKazTaMa
03-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Sana Lahat na. Lol

LaKazTaMa
04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Dad insists Pingoy promised scholarship, food allowance and nothing more by Ateneo

By Reuben Terrado

April 01, 2013, 07:43 pm

“Nag-usap kami ng Ateneo at ang ibibigay daw ng Ateneo, ‘yung school at food allowance," says Jerie Pingoy's dad Jerry. "‘Yung mga haka-haka, hindi totoo ‘yun.” Jerome Ascano

JERRY Pingoy, father of controversial high school cager Jerie, has blasted the UAAP for the new two-year residency rule for transferring high school graduates which was imposed shortly after he bared his son’s desire to move from Far Eastern University to Ateneo.

Speaking during Monday’s Senate inquiry into the contentious rule called by Senator Pia Cayetano, Pingoy said the contentious rule will be a major blow to his son's basketball career.

“’Yung two-year residency, parusa sa anak ko kasi siya ‘yung naglalaro,” said the elder Pingoy. “Ako ‘yung dapat parusahan, hindi siya.”

“Kung ako ang board, masaya kaya sila kung baligtarin natin?” Pingoy added.

The elder Pingoy, a former PBA player, reiterated that his son will push through with his decision to transfer to Ateneo regardless of the new rule increasing the residency period for high school players transferring from one UAAP school that now requires the former FEU star to sit out for two years.

“Pangarap talaga ‘yan ng anak ko dahil idol niya si (former Blue Eagles star) Chris Tiu,” said Pingoy.

In his attempt to make his son’s dream a reality, Pingoy said he approached a friend who owns a mining business and has connections with the Ateneo community to help him facilitate Jerie's transfer.

“Nag-usap kami ng Ateneo at ang ibibigay daw ng Ateneo, ‘yung school at food allowance," he said as he shot down allegations that the young Pingoy had been lured into joining the Blue Eagles by other perks.

"‘Yung mga haka-haka, hindi totoo ‘yun,” Pingoy added.

Pingoy said the two-time UAAP juniors MVP has worked so hard to get to where he is now. “Hindi nila alam ang paghihirap ng anak ko,” said Pingoy, whose Cebu-based son joined FEU's high school team through the efforts of assistant coach Horacio Lim.

Despite the controversy, the elder Pingoy thanked FEU, specifically mentioning its UAAP board representative Anton Montinola and athletic director Mark Molina, for supporting his son during high school career.

“Nagpapasalamat ako kay Mr. Anton Montinola dahil mahal na mahal nila ang anak ko. Karangalan ng FEU na may nag-back-to-back MVP (silang player) for the first time. Pero hindi ko desisyon ito,” said Pingoy.

Montinola didn’t attend the Senate inquiry.

LaKazTaMa
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Tell it to the marines! Bro!

bchoter
04-03-2013, 12:42 AM
^ Of course ATENEO will never give more than scholarship or allowance. I'm not sure about NU, but no other school will ;)

abcdef
04-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Kung ako sa tatay ni Pingoy eh tatahimik nalang ako. . . . Gawin pa niyang tanga mga tao. . .

xxiocebu
04-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Technically these things are not given by the school. I doubt the check for Mbala was issued by DLSU or Montalbo's and his parents' unlimited flight from Bacolod to Manila are being paid for by the school.

LaKazTaMa
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Biztado na panay palusot pa Rin. oh well.

james_hunt
04-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Technically these things are not given by the school. I doubt the check for Mbala was issued by DLSU or Montalbo's and his parents' unlimited flight from Bacolod to Manila are being paid for by the school.

Did you seriously think MVP has not done anything of that sort for any Ateneo recruit? You keep pointing at La Salle and the way we recruited Kib and Benoit...it's best to check your school's recruitment practices, past and present. Also, I'm sure your info re Montalbo and Mbala are all hearsay.

bchoter
04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Technically these things are not given by the school.Exactly. OFFICIALLY, there is parity in what the school officially provides for Team A members

Dark Knight
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Jesus.....money......Jesuits?

We are not born yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the money Mr. Pingoy.

LaKazTaMa
04-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Amen.

LaKazTaMa
04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Three Pingoy juniors teammates commit to play college ball for FEU
By Reuben Terrado

April 05, 2013, 07:16 pm

Baby Tamaraws standout Joshua Aguilon, who already committed to the seniors team, will be joined by three more FEU high school players in Jeson Delfinado, Joel Lee Yu and Kendrix Belgica. Jerome Ascano
WHILE two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy is bent on moving to Ateneo, three other players from Far Eastern University's high school team have made a commitment to join the Tamaraws’ UAAP pool.

FEU head coach Nash Racela said Jeson Delfinado, Joel Lee Yu and Kendrix Belgica, members of the Baby Tamaraws squad that won the UAAP championship last season, have committed to stay with the school in college.

The three join juniors teammate Joshua Aguilon, who had expressed his desire to play his college ball for the Tamaraws for college ball as early as last year.

Aguilon averaged 10.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, and three assists last year for the Baby Tamaraws, who beat National University in the title series.

Delfinado normed a team-best 8.6 rebounds per game last season and was the fourth leading scorer of the Baby Tamaraws, averaging 7.8 points a contest.

Lee Yu averaged four points and 1.7 rebounds, while Belgica had 2.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per outing.

The Tamaraws, however, have yet to get the commitment of Pingoy, the Cebuano guard who led FEU to its first-ever UAAP juniors crown last season since rejoining the league following the transfer of its high school campus from Morayta to Diliman.

FEU is hoping to bounce back from its failure to reach the Final Four last season, leading to a reshuffle that saw Racela take over as head coach from Bert Flores.

abcdef
04-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Time to close this thread. . .the boy has made a decision.

Dark Knight
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I'll take note of that sir, but i'll still give it at least 3 more days. If nothing significant is posted here, then thats it.

xxiocebu
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Did you seriously think MVP has not done anything of that sort for any Ateneo recruit? You keep pointing at La Salle and the way we recruited Kib and Benoit...it's best to check your school's recruitment practices, past and present. Also, I'm sure your info re Montalbo and Mbala are all hearsay.

My apologies for using players not related to the topic as examples. I used them because I play golf with the majority owners of SWU and I have business dealing with the DLSU-St. La Salle Alumni who spearheaded the recruitment of these players. These are the stories that get told to me.

I have always been against signing bonuses even when done by my alma mater. I have always said that. I am one of a few that voice that whenever I can. I have been a big fan of the Sports Fund now being started because it makes the control of spending on recruits easier to rein in.

Any alumni can walk up to any player and give his cash or a car. I have a friend who used to take players out to dinner every so often. I did that once when a couple of guys were here in Cebu, it was not cheap. Another player that I have personal knowledge of is Tallo. The plane tickets to Manila (to train/play), the shoes, clothes, etc were all shouldered by the Cebu Patron. Not a fan of that type of spending but the Patron's heart was in the right place. He actually acted more like a second father than a recruiter.

I'm sure Pinggoy got a lot of things from the boosters. I would have rather that he didn't since he seems to be wanting to go to Ateneo.
Let me tell you another "hearsay" story.... Even though they are a couple of years apart Tallo was the blue chip PG out of Cebu. Pinggoy was slightly in his shadow and since Ateneo already had their future Cebuano PG at that time Pinggoy was sort of overlooked and went to FEU Fern early. AFAIK even then they were trying to get Ateneo's attention but Tallo brouhaha sent Cebuano recruitment out of whack.

Like a few posters as well I don't think Pinggoy is all that and a bag of chips. From what I have seen and read he is a very solid PG. The thing is Ateneo has not had a superstar PG since LA. All the PGs in the 5peat have been solid, but that is the only position that has not had a star. IMHO Ateneo is just to obsessed with that position at this point.

james_hunt
04-12-2013, 10:04 PM
My apologies for using players not related to the topic as examples. I used them because I play golf with the majority owners of SWU and I have business dealing with the DLSU-St. La Salle Alumni who spearheaded the recruitment of these players. These are the stories that get told to me.

The SWU majority owners you play golf with never mentioned the higher offer Ateneo made to recruit Mbala? Regarding Kib, I personally know the people involved in recruiting the kid....and I mean all of them. :)

LaKazTaMa
04-14-2013, 10:42 AM
this is another " Campus " story... J.Pingoy wanted to study in Ateneo but not to play ball. Lol

LaKazTaMa
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Despite wave of criticism, UAAP board upholds new residency rule for HS transferees
By Reuben Terrado

April 16, 2013, 03:44 pm

Ateneo recruit Jerie Pingoy and incoming La Salle big man Ben Mbala are just two of the high-profile players affected by the controversial residency rules. Jerome Ascano
THE UAAP board on Tuesday voted to uphold its decision to impose a two-year residency requirement on high school transferees despite a wave of criticism from players and fans.

After seven hours of deliberation during its annual meeting inside the National University campus, the league's board of trustees stood by its original decision to lengthen the residency requirement for UAAP junior players moving to another member school in college from one to two years.

The new residency rules will take effect starting next season.

In a statement, the board said it will be working on the explanatory rules on the application of the residency requirement which it hopes to finalize within the month.

“The UAAP board of trustees, at its annual board meeting, with all the member universities duly represented, voted to uphold its decision to impose the two-year residency requirement effective UAAP Season 76,” said the league in a statement.

“The board is working on the explanatory rules on the application of the said residency requirement and will finalize the same within the month,” the league added.

With the new rule, two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy will have to wait for two years before he could play for Ateneo following his transfer from Far Eastern University.

Foreign players like Ben Mbala, who has transferred to De La Salle from Cebu's Southwestern University, will also be affected by the new rule as he will only be eligible to play for the Archers during the 2015 season.

LaKazTaMa
04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
UAAP board insists new residency rule will benefit majority of student-athletes
By Reuben Terrado

April 16, 2013, 09:48 pm

“The bottom line is who will benefit is the greater majority of our student-athletes,” says UAAP president Nilo Ocampo. “This two-year residency rule should not affect all, only a few.” Jerome Ascano
THE UAAP board on Tuesday defended its decision to uphold the new two-year residency rule for high school transferees, saying the policy will benefit a majority of the league's student-athletes once the implementing guidelines are finalized.

Emerging from a marathon meeting by the board where the controversial policy was once again put to a vote, UAAP president Nilo Ocampo of National University said only a small percentage of student-athletes will actually be affected by the rule increasing the residency period from one to two years.

“The bottom line is who will benefit is the greater majority of our student-athletes,” said Ocampo. “This two-year residency rule should not affect all, only a few.”

Ocampo declined to reveal how the new rule spare a great majority of the athletes, saying only that the implementing rules and guidelines are still being discussed.

“It doesn’t encompass everyone. I think malaking percentage ‘yung mag-bebenefit talaga dito,” Ocampo said.

“When we voted on it, vote lang, no rules and guidelines. Pero sinabi ko naman na sa annual board meeting, lalabas ‘yung mga concerns. At lumabas nga,” Ocampo said.

For his part, Henry Atayde, La Salle’s representative to the UAAP board, said the pros and cons of the rule were raised and discussed during the meeting - including its implications on all the athletes of the league.

“It was well-thought off,” Atayde said. “We looked at all the sports, all that will be affected, and its outcome. Now, we are tasked to go back to our community and talk about it.”

Atayde said that their decision was reached after all the board members were allowed to speak their minds on the rule.

“This was just the first time that there was an opportunity for everybody to concentrate on the implications and the implementation of the new rule. And everybody had something to say,” said Atayde.

Atayde said that the board will reconvene as early as next week to come up with the guidelines on who will be covered by the rule.

“There will be another meeting for that na talagang pag-aaralan like kung sino ang matatamaan at hindi matatamaan, and other concerns,” said Atayde.

LaKazTaMa
04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
father & son April 17, 2013 @ 02:59 pm

Do what ever is good for UAAP wag kayong pasisindak sa mga senador na nagpapapansin lamang at ume-epal, isa rin akong parents first year high school pa lang alam na namin na dun din sya magaarl ng college, yung iba kase matapos mapasikat ng kanilang school e gusto ng lumipat ng ateneo, pinansin ba sila ng ateneo nung first year high school pa lang sya????kawawa naman ang school na nagpasikat sa inyo. baka karmahin kayo sa bandang huli......

displayher April 17, 2013 @ 01:29 pm

nagiging bidding war na kasi ang labanan , meron isang anak ng dati player sa pba ang allowance sa school mas mataas pa sa sahod ng mga practice/reserve player sa pba eh

LaKazTaMa
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Emerging from a marathon meeting by the board where the controversial policy was once again put to a vote, UAAP president Nilo Ocampo of National University said only a small percentage of student-athletes will actually be affected by the rule increasing the residency period from one to two years.

“The bottom line is who will benefit is the greater majority of our student-athletes,” said Ocampo. “This two-year residency rule should not affect all, only a few.”

--Sagot po iyan para kay Ms.Pia Cayetano.

kerouac82
04-17-2013, 11:19 PM

How?

abcdef
04-18-2013, 05:18 AM
How?

have a release form for those who wants to transfer. . .

BigBlue
04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

I've mentioned this already in another thread, and just to echo kerouac, in case his question was not clear enough: How will this rule benefit ANY student-athlete??

Dark Knight
04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Let us all ask UAAP President Nilo Ocampo.

xxiocebu
04-22-2013, 10:17 AM
The best way to challenge this rule is to say that it can only be applied to those who are now entering into their 3rd year. You cannot implement a rule that affects the future of those who made decisions (which school to enroll in their 3rd year HS) based on old rules.

Para bang ex post facto.

LaKazTaMa
04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Its like this (no) for Go to other Leagues or (yes) for Face the Music. they can choose freely . afterall they're student-athletes

LaKazTaMa
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
UAAP adds release clause to controversial 2-year residency rule
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net 8:05 pm | Sunday, May 12th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — A release clause has been added to the controversial UAAP residency rule, softening the blow for highschool students transferring to another member school in college.

An athlete who decides to enroll in a different college can now immediately play for that school — if he can secure a release form from his former squad, the league said on Sunday.

“An incoming collegiate athlete who is a high school graduate from a UAAP member university and enrolled in another member university shall take a mandatory two-year residency, except when a prior release is issued by the member university for the athletes concerned,” said the statement.

This gives hope for transferring athletes like the highly-touted guard Jerie Pingoy, who can suit up for Ateneo this coming UAAP season 76 if Far Eastern University releases him.

“The two-year residency from high school to college shall cover incoming student athletes effective UAAP Season 76 (School Year 2013-2014). The release form shall be duly signed by any UAAP board member of the member university concerned.”

The new UAAP season opens on June 29, a much earlier date to give way to the Fiba Asia Championships in August.

LaKazTaMa
05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
FEU release key to Pingoy’s early UAAP stint
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer 9:55 pm | Sunday, May 12th, 2013

ATENEO’S prized freshman Jerie Pingoy may need to convince more officials just to see action in this year’s University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball season.

The UAAP Board has revised the new residency rule which requires high school players transferring to a member-school for college to sit out for two years with a clause that will force Pingoy to request a release from his high school alma mater Far Eastern University.

“We added the option to release immediately from high school to college,” said UAAP president Nilo Ocampo.

Last month, the Board voted to uphold the contentious residency rule even after a Senate hearing where Sen. Pia Cayetano described the new rule as an “unreasonable limit on an athlete’s freedom of choice and academic freedom.”

But with the new clause, a player may immediately suit up if a “prior release is issued” that is “duly signed” by any UAAP board member of the concerned school.

Pingoy, though, might need to work hard on his release as FEU strongly fought to keep the two-time UAAP juniors MVP in its fold.

A former national youth team standout, Pingoy is currently in the United States training with the rest of the Blue Eagles in a summer basketball camp.

roborat
05-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Please release me
Let me go
For I
Don't love you anymore
To waste our lives
Would be a sin
Release me
And let me love again

- Engelbert Humperdinck

LaKazTaMa
05-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Montinola adamant FEU won't grant Pingoy his release papers
By Reuben Terrado

May 13, 2013, 03:56 pm

Without release papers from FEU, Jerie Pingoy will only be eligible to play for the Blue Eagles in 2015, or when he is already in his third year as an Ateneo college student. Jerome Ascano

A NEWLY MINTED clausein the new UAAP residency rules spares a transferee from going through a two-year residency period if he gets his release papers from his former school.

Jerie Pingoy, though, can't expect such courtesy from Far Eastern University.

Anton Montinola, FEU's representative to the UAAP board, stated in no uncertain terms that the school won't grant a release to Pingoy, the former FEU high school star who stirred controversy when he decided to play college ball with the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

"No," Montinola stated curtly in a text message to Spin.ph when asked if FEU will give Pingoy his release papers.

Under the contentious residency rules that were passed by the UAAP board in the aftermath of Pingoy's controversial decision to move to Ateneo, the release papers would have allowed the former UAAP juniors MVP to suit up for Ateneo this season without going through two years of residency.

Without a release, the Cebuano point guard will have to wait until 2015 - or his junior year in college - before he can join the Blue Eagles in the UAAP.

Montinola said that if Pingoy wants to be spared the two-year residency rule, he can always move to a non-UAAP member school like San Beda.

“He may transfer to San Beda so that he can play already this June 2013 in the NCAA. No need to sit for two years residency if he plays in the NCAA," Montinola said.

“ADMU officials and the UAAP board are aware of this solution,” Montinola, incidentally an Ateneo alumnus, added.

The NCAA does not require high school transferees to go through a period of residency.

blueandgold
05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
And the truth comes out. The only reason for this rule is for Montinola to screw a HS player. Isip-bata talaga. All I can say is Karma's a bitch.

Montinola adamant FEU won't grant Pingoy his release papers
By Reuben Terrado

May 13, 2013, 03:56 pm

Without release papers from FEU, Jerie Pingoy will only be eligible to play for the Blue Eagles in 2015, or when he is already in his third year as an Ateneo college student. Jerome Ascano

A NEWLY MINTED clausein the new UAAP residency rules spares a transferee from going through a two-year residency period if he gets his release papers from his former school.

Jerie Pingoy, though, can't expect such courtesy from Far Eastern University.

Anton Montinola, FEU's representative to the UAAP board, stated in no uncertain terms that the school won't grant a release to Pingoy, the former FEU high school star who stirred controversy when he decided to play college ball with the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

"No," Montinola stated curtly in a text message to Spin.ph when asked if FEU will give Pingoy his release papers.

Under the contentious residency rules that were passed by the UAAP board in the aftermath of Pingoy's controversial decision to move to Ateneo, the release papers would have allowed the former UAAP juniors MVP to suit up for Ateneo this season without going through two years of residency.

Without a release, the Cebuano point guard will have to wait until 2015 - or his junior year in college - before he can join the Blue Eagles in the UAAP.

Montinola said that if Pingoy wants to be spared the two-year residency rule, he can always move to a non-UAAP member school like San Beda.

“He may transfer to San Beda so that he can play already this June 2013 in the NCAA. No need to sit for two years residency if he plays in the NCAA," Montinola said.

“ADMU officials and the UAAP board are aware of this solution,” Montinola, incidentally an Ateneo alumnus, added.

The NCAA does not require high school transferees to go through a period of residency.

Dark Knight
05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Lesson learned

xxiocebu
05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
What lesson, who learns it?

Sam Miguel
05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Curtailing a human right

SPORTING CHANCE

By Joaquin Henson

(The Philippine Star) | Updated May 31, 2013 - 12:00am

Let’s forget about where we went to school for a moment. Let’s forget about partisan sports. Let’s forget about what school team we’re cheering for and which school team we loathe. If we can be calmly objective, let’s talk about this new UAAP rule imposing a two-year residency on a high school graduate athlete transferring from one UAAP institution to another (high school to university) without securing a release or clearance, effective immediately.

It’s no secret that this rule was proposed to penalize FEU high school star Jerie (Koko) Pingoy who apparently signed a document confirming he would play for the Tamaraws senior varsity after graduation. Pingoy was the beneficiary of an FEU scholarship and other perks. When it came to finally deciding where to play after high school graduation, Pingoy chose Ateneo. FEU officials were furious. They felt betrayed by an ungrateful protégé.

Traditionally, when the UAAP Board ratifies a rule change, it is made effective after the incoming season for schools to adjust to the ramifications, particularly with regard to recruiting efforts. Schools will have recruited players or formulated gameplans based on the previous season’s rules. But in Pingoy’s case, the UAAP Board acted with incredible dispatch.

To avoid the accusation of singling out Pingoy, the UAAP Board justified the new rule by covering all high school graduate athletes regardless of sport, making the injustice widespread. Now, a UST high school swimmer on scholarship will be required a two-year residency if he transfers to UP after graduation for college if he is unable to obtain a release. But what if that particular athlete chooses to move to UP for reasons other than sports-related? What if that athlete wants to take up a course that is a specialty at UP but would like to continue swimming at the same time? Will his high school deprive him of that option by dangling a two-year residency sword over his head?

A high school provides a scholarship for an athlete in exchange for that athlete to play for the varsity. The obligation of that athlete to the high school ends once he graduates. The commitment does not carry over to college. In the case of a high school athlete signing a contract, there is no legal basis to hold him to it, perhaps only a moral basis. A high school athlete would probably be underage to enter into a contract in the first place. Besides, an amateur athlete is not supposed to enter into a contract to play – he isn’t a professional athlete.

A school that prohibits a high school graduate athlete, whether on scholarship or not, to choose the university or college to enroll in without restriction is curtailing a basic human right. If the school is unable to persuade a high school graduate athlete to enroll in its college program, it only has itself to blame. The school is in the best position to convince the athlete to stay on but if he decides otherwise, that is his prerogative. No school should be a stumbling block to a high school graduate choosing to enroll in a university or college, regardless of NCAA or UAAP affiliation. It is heartless and inhuman for a school to impose a two-year residency for a high school graduate athlete to move from a UAAP high school to a university with another UAAP affiliation unless he is released.

This rule will only create situations for athletes to wiggle their way out of a two-year sit. For instance, Pingoy could move to an NCAA school from high school, with or without clearance from FEU, then take a one-year residency to transfer to a UAAP college. This way, he sits out only one year, not two, while staying active one year with an NCAA school. The UAAP Board requires only a one-year residency for an athlete transferring from an NCAA school to a UAAP school while already enrolled in college. This kind of maneuvering will make a mockery of the UAAP rule which is unjust in the first place.

A high school graduate, whether an athlete or not, must be free to choose which college to enroll in for whatever purpose or reason he has. That is a human right. The high school phase of his athletic career is distinct from the college phase and should not be interconnected. The out-clause of a release could only lead to back-door dealing, loophole-finding and horse-trading which destroy the essence of sportsmanship.

By the same token, the UAAP Board is making immediately effective a rule imposing a two-year residency on foreign students in the school they will play for. The previous rule was a foreign player had to establish a two-year residency in the country, not necessarily in his school. Under ordinary circumstances, this modification should take effect after the incoming season but because prized recruit Benoit Mbala has enrolled at La Salle after staying a year in Cebu, the UAAP Board ganged up on the player to impose a two-year residency.

Mbala was recruited by La Salle on the presumption of the prevailing eligibility rule on foreign players. Since he had stayed a year in the country, Mbala would’ve had to sit out just one year at La Salle before gaining eligibility to play in the UAAP. With the new rule, he now has to sit out two years. Obviously, the rule adjustment was made to stall Mbala’s entry. How unfair is that? The UAAP Board must be guided by principles of integrity, fairness, justice and sportsmanship without meaning to single out players for persecution or disenfranchisement. But in Mbala’s case, it is crystal clear he was the target of a rule that was fast-tracked to delay his eligibility.

Through the years, the UAAP Board has gained a notorious reputation as a hatchet man, out to protect selfish interests at the expense of values and principles which the UAAP schools are known for. Pingoy and Mbala are victims of a cruel UAAP Board with no regard for basic human rights. How many more players will be prejudiced by the UAAP Board? Shouldn’t the UAAP school presidents step in and stop the UAAP Board from overstepping its authority and trampling on the rights of innocent student athletes?

Sen. Pia Cayetano has threatened to file a case against the UAAP Board precisely for curtailing the human right of a high school graduate freely choosing a college or university to enroll in. Will she push through with her threat and how far will she go in protecting the rights of student athletes? The UAAP season is set to start June 29. Unless the UAAP Board is suddenly enlightened by a conscience call or charged in court, there will unfortunately be student victims prejudiced by unfair rules this year.

Sam Miguel
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
^^^ Kung meron naman kasi talagang kontrata idemanda na ng FEU si Jerie Pingoy, o ang kanyang ama. That is a clear breach of contract, so they have a clear cause of action.

blueandgold
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't La Salle also vote in favor of this rule? Quinito Henson should've talked to their representative before the voting.

Curtailing a human right

SPORTING CHANCE

By Joaquin Henson

(The Philippine Star) | Updated May 31, 2013 - 12:00am

Let’s forget about where we went to school for a moment. Let’s forget about partisan sports. Let’s forget about what school team we’re cheering for and which school team we loathe. If we can be calmly objective, let’s talk about this new UAAP rule imposing a two-year residency on a high school graduate athlete transferring from one UAAP institution to another (high school to university) without securing a release or clearance, effective immediately.

It’s no secret that this rule was proposed to penalize FEU high school star Jerie (Koko) Pingoy who apparently signed a document confirming he would play for the Tamaraws senior varsity after graduation. Pingoy was the beneficiary of an FEU scholarship and other perks. When it came to finally deciding where to play after high school graduation, Pingoy chose Ateneo. FEU officials were furious. They felt betrayed by an ungrateful protégé.

Traditionally, when the UAAP Board ratifies a rule change, it is made effective after the incoming season for schools to adjust to the ramifications, particularly with regard to recruiting efforts. Schools will have recruited players or formulated gameplans based on the previous season’s rules. But in Pingoy’s case, the UAAP Board acted with incredible dispatch.

To avoid the accusation of singling out Pingoy, the UAAP Board justified the new rule by covering all high school graduate athletes regardless of sport, making the injustice widespread. Now, a UST high school swimmer on scholarship will be required a two-year residency if he transfers to UP after graduation for college if he is unable to obtain a release. But what if that particular athlete chooses to move to UP for reasons other than sports-related? What if that athlete wants to take up a course that is a specialty at UP but would like to continue swimming at the same time? Will his high school deprive him of that option by dangling a two-year residency sword over his head?

A high school provides a scholarship for an athlete in exchange for that athlete to play for the varsity. The obligation of that athlete to the high school ends once he graduates. The commitment does not carry over to college. In the case of a high school athlete signing a contract, there is no legal basis to hold him to it, perhaps only a moral basis. A high school athlete would probably be underage to enter into a contract in the first place. Besides, an amateur athlete is not supposed to enter into a contract to play – he isn’t a professional athlete.

A school that prohibits a high school graduate athlete, whether on scholarship or not, to choose the university or college to enroll in without restriction is curtailing a basic human right. If the school is unable to persuade a high school graduate athlete to enroll in its college program, it only has itself to blame. The school is in the best position to convince the athlete to stay on but if he decides otherwise, that is his prerogative. No school should be a stumbling block to a high school graduate choosing to enroll in a university or college, regardless of NCAA or UAAP affiliation. It is heartless and inhuman for a school to impose a two-year residency for a high school graduate athlete to move from a UAAP high school to a university with another UAAP affiliation unless he is released.

This rule will only create situations for athletes to wiggle their way out of a two-year sit. For instance, Pingoy could move to an NCAA school from high school, with or without clearance from FEU, then take a one-year residency to transfer to a UAAP college. This way, he sits out only one year, not two, while staying active one year with an NCAA school. The UAAP Board requires only a one-year residency for an athlete transferring from an NCAA school to a UAAP school while already enrolled in college. This kind of maneuvering will make a mockery of the UAAP rule which is unjust in the first place.

A high school graduate, whether an athlete or not, must be free to choose which college to enroll in for whatever purpose or reason he has. That is a human right. The high school phase of his athletic career is distinct from the college phase and should not be interconnected. The out-clause of a release could only lead to back-door dealing, loophole-finding and horse-trading which destroy the essence of sportsmanship.

By the same token, the UAAP Board is making immediately effective a rule imposing a two-year residency on foreign students in the school they will play for. The previous rule was a foreign player had to establish a two-year residency in the country, not necessarily in his school. Under ordinary circumstances, this modification should take effect after the incoming season but because prized recruit Benoit Mbala has enrolled at La Salle after staying a year in Cebu, the UAAP Board ganged up on the player to impose a two-year residency.

Mbala was recruited by La Salle on the presumption of the prevailing eligibility rule on foreign players. Since he had stayed a year in the country, Mbala would’ve had to sit out just one year at La Salle before gaining eligibility to play in the UAAP. With the new rule, he now has to sit out two years. Obviously, the rule adjustment was made to stall Mbala’s entry. How unfair is that? The UAAP Board must be guided by principles of integrity, fairness, justice and sportsmanship without meaning to single out players for persecution or disenfranchisement. But in Mbala’s case, it is crystal clear he was the target of a rule that was fast-tracked to delay his eligibility.

Through the years, the UAAP Board has gained a notorious reputation as a hatchet man, out to protect selfish interests at the expense of values and principles which the UAAP schools are known for. Pingoy and Mbala are victims of a cruel UAAP Board with no regard for basic human rights. How many more players will be prejudiced by the UAAP Board? Shouldn’t the UAAP school presidents step in and stop the UAAP Board from overstepping its authority and trampling on the rights of innocent student athletes?

Sen. Pia Cayetano has threatened to file a case against the UAAP Board precisely for curtailing the human right of a high school graduate freely choosing a college or university to enroll in. Will she push through with her threat and how far will she go in protecting the rights of student athletes? The UAAP season is set to start June 29. Unless the UAAP Board is suddenly enlightened by a conscience call or charged in court, there will unfortunately be student victims prejudiced by unfair rules this year.

xxiocebu
05-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Why doesn't he call out his own school