PDA

View Full Version : UAAP SEASON 75 for DE LA SALLE GREEN ARCHERS

Joescoundrel
07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Rookie Teng rises up as La Salle withstands UP

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

5:42 pm | Sunday, July 15th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines — Jeron Teng atoned for crucial misses from the stripe by knocking down a pivotal three-point play as La Salle endured a fiery University of the Philippines, 73-68, in the 75th UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

Teng, one of the most touted rookies of his batch, shrugged off the ill effects on misfiring on crucial freethrows and powered his way for a go-ahead three point play, 70-68, with 27 ticks left.

“It was a tough win for us,” said head coach Gee Abanilla, who also coached his first game in the collegiate level. “I know Jeron, we know what he can provide. He just had some rookie jitters.”

Skipper LA Revilla corked the victory with two freethrows, after La Salle got a great break on defense when Yutien Andrada, returning from an ACL injury, soared high to block Jett Manuel’s attempt from downtown.

Teng finished 15 points on his first game in the UAAP, while Revilla churned out the same points along with 22 rebound, seven assists, and two steals.

“(Teng and Revilla’s) One-two-punch is very good, and we’re hoping to exploit this,” said Abanilla, whose squad nearly pulled away in the third quarter and lead by 15 points.

But La Salle remains a work in progress, squandering a 10 point lead entering the fourth quarter and losing it on a tough shot by UP’s Alvin Padilla with under a minute left.

“They (the Maroons) played really tough against us, they got a good job in easy points and did a good job in transition,” said Abanilla.

The Maroons weathered the Green Archers’ lead in the fourth quarter, slowly but surely, behind the efforts of Padilla, main man Mike Silungan, and rookie guard Henry Asilum.

Silungan set up the comeback with six straight points before five straight from Padilla finally gave the Maroons the lead, 68-67.

But UP failed to follow it up in the ensuing possession then allowed La Salle to go on a game-clinching 6-0 roll, absorbing its first loss.

Silungan scored 18 points and pulled five rebounds while Asilum added 12 points.

Joescoundrel
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
^ Looks like Jeron Teng is living up to all the hype as the cream of this year's rookie crop. He gets the big buckets at the most critical times. His shot mechanics still have some kinks but the kid just will not shy away from the big shot. Kudos should also go to Yutien Andrada and the rest of the Lasalle defense for clamping down hard on designated UP scorers Mike Silungan and Alvin Padilla. Those two could have easily wrapped this game up for the Fighting Maroons were it not for the timely shows and challenges on defense of Andrada and pointguard LA Revilla.

james_hunt
07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Tallo was a little nervous and couldn't get his game going yesterday hence the loss of offense when LA Revilla was not on the floor. A few more games under the klieg lights should give him and others in the second unit some time to settle down.

Joescoundrel
07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
FEU once again made it come down to the last shot to squeak past Lasalle 48-46 in a struggle of a game yesterday.

Chris Tolomia hit a step-back jumper against rookie Jeron Teng on an isolation play to nail the winning bucket.

Terrence Romeo dragged the Tamaraws back into the fight late in the third period nailing a jumper from top of the key to seize the lead for FEU 33-32. Almond Vosotros however responded for Lasalle. Arvie Bringas and Tolomia got in on the action for the Tamaraws even as the Green Archers were leaning almost exclusively on Vosotros.

"Medyo mahina pa kasi talaga ang frontline namin, kaya halos puro pick and roll at isolation na kami simula nung third period," explained winning coach Bert Flores, whose side could just as easily have been 0-2 at this point.

Romeo was the only player in double figures with 10 points, while Norbert Torres had 13 rebounds for Lasalle.

Joescoundrel
07-23-2012, 07:41 AM
By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

5:11 pm | Sunday, July 22nd, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—Mike Tolomia buried a steback jumper with 47.2 seconds to go as Far Eastern University triumphed in another squeaker, this time over La Salle, 48-46, Sunday in the 75th UAAP men’s basketball competition at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Tolomia stepped up to the plate, with the Tamaraws’ two guards being hounded by the Green Archers’ pesky defense, and converted the game clincher off an isolation for his squad’s second victory sans a loss.

“They really had their defense focused on our backcourt (RR Garcia and Terrence Romeo), so I told Tolomia to use the isolation of their weakest link of defense,” said coach Bert Flores.

The second-year guard chipped in seven points for FEU while only Romeo finished in double digits with 10, along with five boards, in such a low-scoring affair.

Garcia, who despite not being able to get his groove going all game long, sank two free throws, which knotted the game at 46 paving the way for crucial Tolomia’s bucket.

The Tamaraws, who also escaped with a victory with just a slim margin over University of Santo Tomas, are now one of the two teams that remain undefeated early in the season.

The Green Archers met their first setback after a 2-0 start to the season, as they missed on chances to snatch the victory in the final minute.

Guard Almond Vosotros had a good look at the basket but failed to get the bounce on a potential game winning trey at the buzzer.

La Salle built a 25-19 lead in the first half, but couldn’t manage to peel away despite FEU’s abysmal shooting from the field.

No Green Archer finished in double digits but Vosotros, Yutien Andrada, Jovet Mendoza and Norbert Torres had eight points apiece while rookie Jeron Teng struggled throughout the game.

energizer
07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
This was a game that clearly could've gone either way. Congratulations to FEU.

Shiznit
07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
too much time was wasted by tallo dribbling in the last possession... could've gone either way

bchoter
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I think he wasn't really deliberately taking time but was scrambling a little bit. But I 'm not surprised why Coach Norman Black wanted the kid. He has the skills and athleticism to make it. He just needs to play smarter, which comes with experience AND the right coaching

Sam Miguel
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
I think Gee Abanilla is doing the right thing by taking it step by step, learning to walk before you run kind of deal. He's new at his job although he was around a long time as an assistant. Still, this is an entirely new team, and it will take time before Abanilla and the players get comfortable with each other. There is a certain joy to the way Lasalle plays now, which is refreshing from all the angas that Franz Pumaren instilled. Abanilla should stick to this way of doing things because it takes time to work. I'd say as early as next season Lasalle should be at least in the UAAP Finals. For now just aim for the Final 4 and take it from there.

james_hunt
07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I think Gee Abanilla is doing the right thing by taking it step by step, learning to walk before you run kind of deal. He's new at his job although he was around a long time as an assistant. Still, this is an entirely new team, and it will take time before Abanilla and the players get comfortable with each other. There is a certain joy to the way Lasalle plays now, which is refreshing from all the angas that Franz Pumaren instilled. Abanilla should stick to this way of doing things because it takes time to work. I'd say as early as next season Lasalle should be at least in the UAAP Finals. For now just aim for the Final 4 and take it from there.

We're taking it one game at a time and enjoying the ride as we learn from it, salamat Sam! Bchoter, gee is a good coach for Mac Tallo, I'll just leave it at that. The blues will always have something bad to say about the kid, thats a given, but if they expect us to do the same to Nico Elorde, they're mistaken. We don't do that to one of ours.

nel
07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 former greenies (LSGH & Zobel) in the Ateneo basketball program (teams A and B): Salva, Ravena, Elorde, Capacio, Angeles, Boo, Bederi, and Lim. We respect their decision, and we wish them well. If and when they do get the opportunity to play against our team, we will expect them to give it their best.

james_hunt
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 former greenies (LSGH & Zobel) in the Ateneo basketball program (teams A and B): Salva, Ravena, Elorde, Capacio, Angeles, Boo, Bederi, and Lim. We respect their decision, and we wish them well. If and when they do get the opportunity to play against our team, we will expect them to give it their best.

Salva and Ravena have been brainwashed. Nico, Capacio, and Isaac still sing the La Salle Alma Mater song whenever they play against us. Also, nico very much in touch with his former Green Archer mates and team management.

Sam Miguel
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
^^^ James, my memory is failing, was Nico Salva from the LSGH Grade School? I know he came from LSGH High School before transferring to San Beda, but I cannot recall if he came from your Grade School.

james_hunt
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
^^^ James, my memory is failing, was Nico Salva from the LSGH Grade School? I know he came from LSGH High School before transferring to San Beda, but I cannot recall if he came from your Grade School.

Good question. I'll have to get back to you on that one. :)

My memory fails me sometimes...

Joescoundrel
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:35 am | Sunday, July 29th, 2012

GREG Slaughter, Nico Salva and Kiefer Ravena combined for all but one of Ateneo’s fourth-quarter points as the Ateneo Blue Eagles turned back the La Salle Green Archers, 71-61, yesterday to claim solo second in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

“When you’re playing La Salle, there’s no guarantee how it’s going be,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black as the Eagles improved to 3-1 behind unbeaten and idle leader Far Eastern after the blockbuster showdown in front of a 17,000-strong crowd at the Mall of Asia Arena.

“It doesn’t matter which team has more talent. We expect every game to be close,” added Black, who is bidding to give Ateneo a fifth straight title before leaving to coach Talk ‘N Text in the PBA.

University of Santo Tomas, which dealt Ateneo’s lone loss so far, sustained its impressive form by coming from behind to down National University, 77-71, in the first game.

Jeric Teng unloaded 21 points, including two key triples in the fourth quarter where the Tigers battled from 10 points down, 53-63, before moving up to third place at 2-1.

“Naka-tsamba na naman (We got lucky again),” said UST coach Pido Jarencio, just nine days after the Tigers clawed back from a 19-point hole for a 71-70 decision over the Eagles.

The Bulldogs, who led 29-15 in the second quarter, and the Archers dropped to 2-2.

Slaughter pumped in 20 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while Salva delivered 16 markers and seven boards. Ravena drilled 10 of his 16 points in the first half, which the Blue Eagles dominated before LA Revilla, Jeron Teng and Norbert Torres led the La Salle fightback.

In the crowd during the Ateneo-La Salle match was Bo Perasol, the PBA coach tagged as Ateneo’s “first choice” to replace Black when the American mentor returns to the pro league at the end of the season.

The scores:

First Game

UST 77—Teng 21, Abdul 11, Mariano 10, Fortuna 10, Ferrrer 8, Bautista 7, Afuang 6, Lo 4, Vigil 0, Pe 0, Daquioag 0.

NU 71—Parks 25, Mbe 13, Alolino 13, Javillonar 11,Villamor 5, Rosario 3, Ignacio 1, Roño 0, Neypes 0, Khobuntin 0, De Guzman 0, Betayene.

Quarters: 15-21, 36-41, 53-60, 77-71

Second Game

ATENEO 71—Slaughter 20, Salva 16, Ravena 16, Chua 6, Tiongson 4, Elorde 3, Buenafe 3, Pessumal 2, Erram 1, Sumalinog 0, Gonzaga 0.

LA SALLE 61—Revilla 16, Teng 13, N. Torres 11, Dela Paz 7, Manguera 6, Van Opstal 2, Andrada 2, Webb 2, Mendoza 1, Tampus 1, Paredes 0, Vosotros 0, T. Torres 0, Gotladera 0, Tallo 0.

Quarters: 20-8, 35-26, 53-50, 71-61

Joescoundrel
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

2:15 am | Sunday, August 5th, 2012

UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas nipped La Salle in double overtime even as Ateneo expectedly surged to the lead after its coach picked up a career-best win No. 100 yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Aljon Mariano carried the Tigers in every crucial stretch to lift UST past La Salle, 84-82, while the defending champion Blue Eagles blasted the winless University of the East Warriors, 68-51, and moved on top of the UAAP basketball tournament.

Mariano knocked in all of Tigers’ four points in the second overtime, including the game-winning jumper from the left corner with 7.1 seconds left.

The 6-foot-3 forward also forged the first overtime, 71-71, by nailing a tough undergoal stab with 9.7 ticks remaining, then later scored all but two of the Tigers’ nine points in the first extension that ended at 80-all.

“The attitude that I really taught my players was to never give up,” said coach Pido Jarencio after his Tigers climbed to solo third at 3-1.

Mariano–proving to be this season’s revelation for the Tigers–only scored two points in the first three quarters before finishing with 15 markers.

Karim Abdul also came out huge in the endgame, blocking two La Salle shots in the closing seconds, the last on Yutien Andrada’s attempt to extend the game anew.

The Cameroonian center wound up with 16 points and 16 rebounds.

Fueling the Tigers’ strong start was Clark Bautista, who unloaded 18 of his game-high 21 markers from three-point range built on a 7-of-11 clip from the field.

LA Revilla, who led La Salle with 19 points, could have won the game for the Archers in regulation, but officials ruled that his floater failed to beat the buzzer.

The scores:

First Game

UST 84—Bautista 21, Abdul 16, Mariano 15, Teng 9, Fortuna 8, Afuang 8, Ferrer 5, Pe 2, Lo 0, Daquioag 0.

LA SALLE 82—Revilla 19, Teng 17, Andrada 16, Webb 13, Torres 7, Manguera 6, Van Opstal 2, Tallo 2, Torres 0, Dela Paz 0.

Quarters: 15-17, 29-30, 56-48, 71-71 (reg), 80-80 (1OT), 84-82 (2OT)

james_hunt
08-07-2012, 01:15 AM

I was told Nico Salva came from the LSGH GS and two years of HS before moving to San Beda.

Sam Miguel
08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 13, 2012 12:00 AM

University of Santo Tomas came through with an overpowering performance to run down a hapless University of the East side, 85-69, and move a step closer to league-leading Ateneo and Far Eastern U in the 75th UAAP basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

Cameroonian Karim Abdul powered his way to 20 points and 19 rebounds while sophomore Kevin Ferrer had his best game of his young career with 16 points he highlighted with four triples to help propel the Tigers to their fourth straight victory against a defeat.

The win also moved UST half-a-game behind idle Ateneo, the reigning champion, and FEU, tied for the lead at 5-1.

And the Tigers did it without Jeric Teng, who sat out due to a strained knee, as they drew big games from second stringers Louie Vigil and Eduardo Dacquioag.

Vigil, who played high school ball for Jose Rizal, fired a career-high 13 points while Caquiaog scored all of his six points in one stretch in the second period when UST turned what was once a close contest into a rout.

“This is a breakout game for Ferrer, I’ve been waiting for that since last year,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio in Filipino. “The other guys who have limited time like Vigil and Daquioag also stepped up in the absence of Jeric and that helped us a lot.”

Earlier, La Salle leaned on rookie Jeron Teng and its defense late in the game to hold off Adamson, 56-52, and get back on track with a 3-3 card.

Teng led his team with 15 points, including a basket that gave the Archers the lead for good and a free throw that put away the Falcons.

La Salle coach Gee Abanilla said the injury to starting point guard LA Revilla, who tweaked an ankle in the first half, threw them off balanced.

“LA Revilla’s injury threw us off a bit, I hope it isn’t serious,” said Abanilla. “Good thing about it is that the rookies were given a chance to play and I think they perform really well.

“I hope they will perform better for us to do well in our future games,” he added.

Ryan Monteclaro led his team with 12 points but the Falcons missed main man Alex Nuyles, who will be out the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, that they couldn’t deliver when it mattered most. They fell to their fourth setback against a win.

Roider Cabrera gave Adamson a 52-51 lead with a little less than two minutes to go but the Falcons couldn’t score from there while Teng secured the victory with his clutch shooting.

Greenheart
08-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Our team is still going so strong. I think we really have good chances for the trophy...

Sam Miguel
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 19, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Ateneo bucked a sloppy start with a blistering finish yesterday as it turned back Far Eastern U, 74-71, to seize the solo lead in the 75th UAAP basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Hotshot rookie Jeron Teng earlier outduelled Bobby Ray Parks in one of the league’s highest individual scoring battles as La Salle eked out a pulsating 87-86 double overtime victory over National U to finish its first round campaign in the middle of the pack.

Both Teng and Parks, the reigning league MVP, wound up with a league-best 35 points but it was the former who came out victorious as the Archers escaped with their fourth win against three losses for a share of fourth spot with the Bulldogs.

Seven-footer Greg Slaughter paced the Eagles with 17 points while adding eight rebounds, three assists and game-high five blocks to help the Eagles finish up there after the first round of eliminations.

“We’re right where we wanted, to be in the top two because I’ve always said that it will help a lot if we finish with the twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black.

Juami Tiongson scattered three triples, including two in the third quarter where the Eagles turned things around, and wound up with 12 points.

Kiefer Ravena and Ryan Buenafe chipped in 12 and 10 points, respectively.

The Tams, who controlled the tempo and led by double digits in the first half, including 37-27 at the break, were led by RR Garcia’s 21 points.

But in the fourth quarter the Tams failed to suppress the Eagles’ late uprising and fell to No. 3 with a 5-2 record.

It marked the first time in recent history that two players scored at least 30 points in the same game, perhaps reminiscent of the scoring battle waged by then University of the East hotshot Allan “The Triggerman” Caidic and Santo Tomas gunner Pido Jarencio in the 1980s.

Teng’s output was the highest by a La Salle player since Joseph Yeo dropped 31 in a Final Four game with archrival Ateneo six seasons ago. It was also the best scoring effort by a neophyte since State U’s Mike Gamboa unloaded a 25 points five years back.

They also surpassed the identical 33 points score by Ateneo’s Rabeh Al-Hussaini’s and Adamson’s Ken Bono in a Final Four match six years ago.

However, both Teng and Parks fell short of the 43 points posted by NU’s Jeff Napa in a game against Adamson on Aug. 23, 2002. Napa hit 10 triples in that game.

“Honestly, I didn’t come into this game to score but I have to step up because LA (Revilla) hasn’t been practicing for a week because of a sprained ankle,” said the 18-year-old Teng, who once scored 104 points in a high school game for Xavier.

Teng and the 19-year-old Parks are both sons of former star players in the PBA - Alvin Teng of San Miguel and seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks.

The scores:

First Game (Srs)

La Salle 87 – Teng 35, Vosotros 18, Andrada 8, Van Opstal 7, N. Torres 6, T. Torres 5, Mendoza 4, Revilla 3, Manguera 1, Gotladera 0, Tallo 0, Webb 0

NU 86 – Parks 35, Rosario 14, Mbe 12, Javillonar 6, Rono 5, Alolino 4, Villamor 3, Khobuntin 3, Singh 2, de Guzman 2, Labing-isa 0, Betayene 0

Quarterscores: 25-14; 42-37; 59-52; 69-69 (OT); 79-79 (2OT); 87-86

Sam Miguel
08-30-2012, 10:54 AM
2:16 am | Thursday, August 30th, 2012

Juami Tiongson provided Ateneo a much needed lift in the second half as the Blue Eagles trounced the Far Eastern Tamaraws, 77-64,to keep the solo lead in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Tiongson not only called the plays but made the shots as well, knocking in 12 of his 16 points from beyond the arc to help the Blue Eagles pull away, 60-48, midway in the fourth quarter of a heated encounter that saw three players getting ejected.

“FEU is a physical team, they’re very aggressive,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black. “But we’ve proven over the years that we’re not going to back down from anybody.”

The four-time champions picked up their eighth win in nine games in the rematch between the finalists of the last two seasons.

Earlier, La Salle put an end to University of Santo Tomas’ endgame luck as Jeron Teng buried a buzzer-beater to lift the Green Archers to a 53-51 decision.

Teng nailed the game-winning jumper after UST’s Karim Abdul scored from underneath to tie the game, 51-51, with 3.3 seconds left.

Ateneo’s Ryan Buenafe and FEU’s Mark Belo were ejected in the first period for unsportsmanlike plays, while Tamaraws forward Arvie Bringas was also thrown out in the final quarter for spitting on the court.

Both the Tigers and the Tamaraws slipped to 7-3 for a share of second.

Meanwhile, American Chris Ball was declared eligible to play by the UAAP board and upheld the Maroons’ 63-48 win over University of the East in the first round.

The scores:

First Game

LA SALLE 53—Vosotros 12, T. Torres 10, Teng 9, N. Torres 8, Van Opstal 7, Mendoza 2, Paredes 0, Gotladera 0, Tallo 0, Webb 0, Tampus 0.

UST 51—Abdul 14, Mariano 9, Afuang 9, Fortuna 7, Teng 6, Vigil 2, Ferrer 2, Bautista 2, Pe 0, Lo 0, Daquioag 0.

Quarters: 10-15, 22-27, 39-37, 53-51

bchoter
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Congratulations Archers! You now have another legit go-to guy in Jeron Teng especially with LA's physical condition. So far it's Tomas Torres who has seized the opportunity while LA is recuperating. Meanwhile Vosotros is slowly getting his groove back although still a little prone to hero ball. But, at least now, his shots are falling. The biggest improvement, for me, is La Salle's post defense. Norbeart Torres no longer plays the cuddly part and has proven to be solid in the paint. Van Opstal is still behind as the main post defender but has proven to be aan adequate complement to Torres altho not as effective help side defender as Andrada. He just needs to improve his ability to think quickly on his feet because he doesn't have Andrada's basketball instincts.

fujima04
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Huli man daw at magaling...huli pa rin.

Congratulations to the Green Archers! Good buzzer-beater by Jeron.

Joescoundrel
09-02-2012, 08:46 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

1:49 am | Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

RYAN Buenafe pumped in a career-high 24 points to power Ateneo past arch rival La Salle, 77-67, and keep the Eagles on top in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I was already fired up to play in the last game, so I made sure to control myself this time,” said Buenafe, who was ejected in his last outing against Far Eastern University for figuring in an unsportsmanlike play in the first quarter.

Kiefer Ravena also shone with 18 points, seven rebounds and four assists, while Nico Salva buried seven of his 12 points in the final quarter of the blockbuster game that drew a 17,000-strong crowd.

“The focus of the game today was to reestablish the fact that we are a good defensive team,” said coach Norman Black after the Eagles hiked their record to 9-1, just a win away from formally securing a Final Four berth. “In addition to that, we got a big lift from our players. In the case of Ryan, he really stepped up offensively for us.”

Earlier, University of Santo Tomas overcame a scoring outburst from an Adamson rookie Jericho Cruz to forge an 83-79 victory that gave the Tigers solo second at 8-3.

Jeric Teng dropped 22 points, including four straight inside the final two minutes that pushed the Tigers for good at 80-77 after trailing at 70-76 as Cruz exploded for 33 points, 15 from beyond the arc.

Buenafe reached the 20-point mark for the first time this season since scoring 23 points in Game 2 of the 2010 title series where he bagged the Finals MVP.

“Other teams kept double-teaming Greg (Slaughter) using the man guarding the small forward,” said Black. “With Ryan out there, it makes it more difficult for them to do that because he’s an offensive threat.”

By halftime, Buenafe already shot 11 after just averaging only 4.6 points, including a horrendous 1-of-18 clip from three-point-range, in his first nine games.

Jeron Teng fired 22 markers to pace the Archers, who fell to a share of fourth with idle National University at 6-4.

An early shooting spree that saw the Eagles drilling three straight triples—two coming from Buenafe—propped the defending champions up by 16 points, 26-10, by the end of the first quarter.

The scores:

First Game

UST 83—Teng 22, Abdul 19, Mariano 16, Bautista 11, Ferrer 8, Fortuna 7, Vigil 0, Pe 0, Lo 0, Afuang 0.

ADAMSON 79—Cruz 33, Rios 12, Etrone 11, Trollano 7, Camson 5, Cabrera 5, Brondial 5, Agustin 1, Monteclaro 0, Abrigo 0.

Quarters: 16-16, 36-42, 61-58, 83-79

Second Game

ATENEO 77—Buenafe 24, Ravena 18, Salva 12, Tiongson 10, Slaughter 4, Chua 4, Sumalinog 3, Gonzaga 2, Golla 0, Elorde 0.

LA SALLE 67—Teng 22, Vosotros 20, Van Opstal 8, Tampus 8, N. Torres 4, Manguera 3, Mendoza 2, Andrada 0, Paredes 0, T. Torres 0, Tallo 0, Webb 0.

Quarters: 26-10, 35-29, 57-46, 77-67

Joescoundrel
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Down Green Archers by 10; Eagles advance to Final 4

By Jasmine W. Payo

9:51 pm | Sunday, September 9th, 2012

Ateneo finally claimed the first Final Four berth even as National University, starring Bobby Ray Parks, downed La Salle, 72-62, yesterday to wrest solo fourth in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

The Blue Eagles made sure there would be no repeat of their endgame blunders this time as they rolled back the Adamson Falcons, 79-72, with Nico Salva unloading half of his 24 points in the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter where Ateneo shot a staggering 82 percent from the field.

“I’m just happy we didn’t make the same mistakes we did in the last game,” Ateneo coach Norman Black said after his four-time champions rebounded from a shock loss to also-ran University of the East, 77-79, last Thursday and boost their leading record to 10-2.

Parks scattered 32-points, 17 of them in the third period, where the Bulldogs led by as many as 16 points, 53-37, en route to their seventh win in 11 games. It was the sixth 30-point outing in two seasons for the son of six-time top PBA import Bobby Parks.

NU coach Eric Altamirano said his Bulldogs were motivated by the UAAP board’s decision to nullify their controversial loss to Far Eastern University, 75-77, and order a replay on Sept. 23

“We used that good favor to inspire us for this game,” said Altamirano. “We’re excited we were given a second lease of life.”

Gelo Alolino added 11 points for the Bulldogs, who pushed the Archers down to fifth at 7-5.

Salva fired a six-point cluster to give the Eagles a 72-71 lead before Kiefer Ravena drilled five of the team’s last seven points for the final tally.

“Every loss is a wake up call and it reminds us that we’re not there yet,” said Salva, who tied his career-high by posting an impressive 11-of-14 shooting clip.

Greg Slaughter had 16 points and 12 boards, while Ravena shot 15 for the Eagles.

In juniors play, FEU’s Jerie Pingoy outscored the entire University of the East side as the Baby Tamaraws forged a lopsided 93-39 victory.

Pingoy, the reigning juniors MVP, exploded for 43 points, including a remarkable 12-of-19 shooting from three-point range to lead the unbeaten Baby Tams to their ninth straight win.

The scores:

First Game

ATENEO 79—Salva 24, Slaughter 16, Ravena 15, Elorde 10, Chua 6, Tiongson 3, Buenafe 3, Sumalinog 1, Erram 1, Gonzaga 0, Golla 0.

ADAMSON 72—Camson 26, Cruz 14, Cabrera 10, Monteclaro 8, Brondial 8, Rios 4, Etrone 2, Trollano 0, Petilos 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 21-25, 38-38, 55-59, 79-72

Second Game

NU 72—Parks 32, Alolino 11, Rosario 6, Khobuntin 6, De Guzman 6, Mbe 4, Javillonar 4, Villamor 3, Singh 0, Roño 0, Betayene 0.

LA SALLE 62—Teng 20, Vosotros 13, Van Opstal 7, N. Torres 6, Mendoza 4, T. Torres 3, Manguera 3, Andrada 2, Tampus 2, Revilla 2, Webb 0.

Quarters: 15-15, 36-26, 56-45, 72-62

Joescoundrel
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
^ With that loss it looks like the Number 4 spot in the Final 4 will be a heck of a fight between the Archers and the Bulldogs. Although in fairness I think the last three games of Lasalle are relatively light, with FEU the only remaining Final 4 contender for them to face. They're done with the Ateneo, Santo Tomas and NU. NU on the other hand has that rematch versus FEU, plus this Thursday versus the Ateneo.

james_hunt
09-11-2012, 11:16 AM
^ With that loss it looks like the Number 4 spot in the Final 4 will be a heck of a fight between the Archers and the Bulldogs. Although in fairness I think the last three games of Lasalle are relatively light, with FEU the only remaining Final 4 contender for them to face. They're done with the Ateneo, Santo Tomas and NU. NU on the other hand has that rematch versus FEU, plus this Thursday versus the Ateneo.

Kaya naman Go Ateneo ako sa Thursday :)

stow
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Yan ang tunay na La Sallista sir James! if the roles were reversed, baka Go La Salle din ako haha.

james_hunt
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Yan ang tunay na La Sallista sir James! if the roles were reversed, baka Go La Salle din ako haha.

And I say it with all sincerity! I'm certain you would too if the roles were reversed. :)

Joescoundrel
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
If FEU loses to NU in their re-play and NU and Lasalle hold fast that means all three teams will have five losses each right?

How will these ties be broken?

An NU win means they sweep their season series versus FEU. FEU and Lasalle have split their season series.

So the truly crucial question is who will play off for the fourth and last Final 4 spot in this scenario?

greencm
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
If FEU loses to NU in their re-play and NU and Lasalle hold fast that means all three teams will have five losses each right?

How will these ties be broken?

An NU win means they sweep their season series versus FEU. FEU and Lasalle have split their season series.

So the truly crucial question is who will play off for the fourth and last Final 4 spot in this scenario?

UST hasn't gotten their 10th win yet, last time I checked. Hence, a quadruple tie at 9 and 5 is still very realistic at this point.

Dark Knight
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
FEU could be out if it goes like this.

UST wins their last game, they will have 10 wins.

NU wins against FEU, NU will have 9 wins tied with FEU.

DLSU wins their last game, tying NU and FEU.

Since FEU lost to NU on both rounds, NU has the higher quotient.

La Salle split their matches with FEU but La Salle has the dge for winning by 7 points against FEU.

FEU will figure in a playoff match for the last F4 slot in which a loss is a very big possibility.

Greenheart
09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I am actually glad with what is happening. Our power player Jeron Teng is getting to be a bigger problem for the other teams. I just think that FEU might actually be stronger than NU. Maybe`I am wrong, maybe I am right. Well....

Joescoundrel
09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Lasalle should just stick to what Coach Gee Abanilla said about tomorrow's game and focus on winning that. That assures the Green Archers a final 9-5 record. After that, they will have to pray for an FEU win in their re-play with NU, which eliminates the Bulldogs outright from the Final 4 with six losses. If FEU lets Lasalle in the reward of the Archers is a Final 4 game versus either UST or the Ateneo.

james_hunt
09-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Lasalle should just stick to what Coach Gee Abanilla said about tomorrow's game and focus on winning that. That assures the Green Archers a final 9-5 record. After that, they will have to pray for an FEU win in their re-play with NU, which eliminates the Bulldogs outright from the Final 4 with six losses. If FEU lets Lasalle in the reward of the Archers is a Final 4 game versus either UST or the Ateneo.

We're taking it one game at a time, joe. Taking Adamson and Coach Leo lightly is suicide.

jembengzon
09-20-2012, 08:17 PM
congrats padre. we'll see how things turn out after sunday

james_hunt
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
congrats padre. we'll see how things turn out after sunday

Salamat Jem!

Sam Miguel
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
James, I suppose an FEU win on Sunday would be a nice gesture on the part of the Tamaraws...:)

bchoter
09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
What timing AVO. After getting disappointed with AVO's uncoordinated undergoal stab I said said a little too loudly "Malaki lang yan... kung ako lang ganyan kalaki dunnk na yan kaso BANOpstal"... and then he just flushed it... and, the way they looked at me, I discovered about 10 people were not glad in green but were rooting for La Salle.

Racing downcourt, AVO swats... no, SWATS an AdU drive with authority. 10+ faces turn towards me with a knowing smile... nothing I could do but retrun theirs sheepishly :redface:

james_hunt
09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
James, I suppose an FEU win on Sunday would be a nice gesture on the part of the Tamaraws...:)

I think we deserve some good Karma for being nice this year. ;)

Joescoundrel
09-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Pareng James, ayan na FEU, babalik na din si Ronald Magtulis. Galingan niyo ha!

bchoter
09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
The Archers were trailing the Tams by 6 points 24 seconds to the 1st quarter buzzer

izon
09-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Archers won .

Joescoundrel
09-27-2012, 09:09 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

10:54 pm | Wednesday, September 26th, 2012

La Salle clawed back from 10 points down in the last six minutes then survived Far Eastern University’s last-gasp rally to hack out a 69-66 decision and clinch the last UAAP Final Four berth in the men’s basketball playoffs yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Norbert Torres fueled the Green Archers’ stunning comeback, burying 11 of his 21 points in the final quarter of the knockout game that the Tamaraws controlled virtually most of the way.

“We had this dream of coming back to the Final Four, we had a golden chance to do it and we just refused to lose,” coach Gee Abanilla said of his Archers, who booked a return ticket to the semifinals after missing out last season.

La Salle, though, moves on to a tougher task as the Archers will clash with the four-time champion Ateneo Eagles in the Final Four at 4 p.m. this Saturday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

University of Santo Tomas and National University tangle in the other semifinal pairing at 12 noon.

Both the Blue Eagles and the Tigers hold a twice-to-beat advantage.

It looked like the Tamaraws—who dropped out of the Final Four for the first time in five years—had the game in the bag after erecting their first double-digit advantage, 60-50, going into the final six minutes.

But the Archers launched a huge 17-0 outburst, capped by a pair of three-point plays from Norbert Torres and rookie Thomas Torres that gave the Archers a 67-60 advantage with 38.6 seconds remaining.

“It boiled down to defense, we limited them to a number of points in the fourth quarter,” said Abanilla.

The Tamaraws struck back with Terrence Romeo and RR Garcia nailing back-to-back triples that trimmed the deficit to just a point, 67-66, with 30 ticks left.

La Salle rookie Jeron Teng split his free throws, 68-66, But the Tamaraws blew a huge chance in the next possession with Mike Tolomia getting slapped with a traveling violation.

The scores:

LA SALLE 69—N. Torres 21, Teng 15, Vosotros 9, Van Opstal 8, T. Torres 7, Mendoza 7, Andrada 2, Webb 0, Manguera 0, Tampus 0, Revilla 0.

FEU 66—Romeo 13, Bringas 12, Garcia 8, Hargrove 7, Pogoy 6, Belo 5, Escoto 4, Tolomia 2, Bringas 2, Sentcheu 0, Foronda 0, Cruz 0.

Quarters: 13-19, 28-35, 46-52, 69-66

Joescoundrel
09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

10:37 pm | Wednesday, September 26th, 2012

As the final buzzer sounded at Mall of Asia Arena, a familiar chant crescendoed in the air.

“Animo La Salle! Beat Ateneo!”

The country’s fiercest collegiate rivalry will be on display again on Saturday after the Archers arranged a UAAP Final Four showdown with the Ateneo Blue Eagles by ousting the Far Eastern Tamaraws yesterday.

It will be the first time in four years for Ateneo and La Salle to tangle in a post-elimination match since clashing in the stepladder semifinals in 2007 and in the championship round the following season.

“It’s going to be an exciting match, we’re clearly the underdogs here,” said La Salle coach Gee Abanilla.

Ateneo had been waiting for a semifinal opponent for almost two weeks after wrapping up the eliminations with a 12-2 record to claim the No. 1 spot and the twice-to-beat advantage.

La Salle, however, had to go through a tougher route, needing an improbable comeback against the Tamaraws for a 69-66 upset as Norbert Torres came through in a pivotal fourth-quarter run.

“We’re happy with the way we’re performing, we’re peaking at the right time,” said Abanilla. “Hopefully, the long layoff of Ateneo will do well for us.”

The Blue Eagles, though, have dominated the Archers in their four-year reign, winning their last five meetings since 2010 and 11 of their last 12 encounters.

Joescoundrel
10-01-2012, 11:37 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

AS ATENEO and University of Santo Tomas gear up for the UAAP championship round, the two teams they dispatched in the semifinals have quickly turned their attention to next season.

National University and La Salle—the two squads that defied the odds in the thrilling race to the Final Four—expect to turn into solid contenders as both return with virtually intact lineups in next year’s men’s basketball tourney.

“Our preparation for Season 76 starts tomorrow,” said coach Gee Abanilla after the Green Archers nearly pulled off an upset over four-time champion and fierce rival Ateneo in the semifinals, 66-63, last Saturday.

“I just feel we’ll have a better season next year. We have an intact lineup, but of course, we still have to see the other talents in the market. We have some players already in our radar.”

The Bulldogs, who reached the Final Four for the first time in 11 years, also gave a tough fight before the Tigers held on to a 63-57 win in their own semifinal duel.

“I told the team to always remember that before you succeed, you have to fail first,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We want to use this loss as motivation to move forward and prepare for next year. I believe that next year we’ll be able to handle it better.”

Both the Bulldogs and the Archers cite “immaturity” and “lack of experience” as reasons for their end game meltdown in the semifinals even if both squads were powered by two of the league’s best players.

NU leaned on Ray Parks, who bagged his second straight MVP in just as many years in the league, while La Salle had Rookie of the Year Jeron Teng bringing life back to the team that missed last year’s Final Four.

“Even if we got to the Final Four, we had to strive and aim for something higher,” said Abanilla. “Then again, nothing to be ashamed of. We gave Ateneo a good fight and we almost had that game.”

NU clinched the No. 3 spot due to a superior quotient after finishing tied with La Salle and Far Eastern University at the end of the eliminations at 9-5. La Salle nailed the last semifinal berth after upsetting FEU in the playoffs.

“We made it to the Final Four and I’m proud of my teammates definitely,” said Parks. “Hopefully next year we’ll be better.”

The Blue Eagles, who are vying for a fifth straight crown, and the Tigers kick off their best-of-three title clash at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Unlike in the 2006 Finals, where the underdog Tigers won over the then No. 1 Eagles, odds are almost even for the two teams that split their elimination tussles by an average of 1.5 points.

UST center Karim Abdul will suit up in Game 1 as his second unsportsmanlike foul in the semis was deemed “not meant to hurt” by league officials.

Meanwhile, UST and La Salle secured the first two Final Four slots yesterday in the table tennis tournament at Blue Eagle Gym.

UST trounced Adamson and UE via 3-0 scores while La Salle also posted a 3-0 triumph over Ateneo and Adamson.

Joescoundrel
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
La Salle gals forge hoop title showdown with FEU

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:40 pm | Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012

La Salle arranged a title showdown with the unbeaten Far Eastern University in women’s basketball as University of Santo Tomas completed a rare sweep in judo in recent UAAP action.

Aracelie Abaca had an all-around game of 20 points, 18 rebounds, eight assists, two steals and a couple of blocks as the Lady Archers downed Adamson, 81-73, in the semifinals to advance to the championship for the first time in 10 years yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena.

UST, meanwhile, captured the men’s, women’s and juniors judo crowns behind Most Valuable Players Al Rolan Llamas and Jewel de Castro over the weekend at Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

The Tigers amassed 51 points to cop their second straight title, while the Tigresses extended their reign to three seasons after topping with 53 points. The Tiger Cubs also scored a breakthrough by snapping Ateneo’s six-year reign.

La Salle faces the formidable FEU squad, which holds a huge thrice-to-beat advantage, in the women’s cage Finals starting this Sunday.

The Lady Tamaraws earned the incentive along with an an outright title berth after sweeping the 14-game eliminations.

Trisha Piatos drilled in 17 points for the Lady Archers.

xxiocebu
10-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I watched the HardBall telecast last night with the Teng being the guest. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this kid is. Medyo ni-ninerbyos and it showed in some answers.

He may be bwakaw, but that is his role on the team. Shoot, score, shoot, score.

Joescoundrel
10-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Far Eastern closes in on cage title double

By Jasmine W. Payo

10:22 pm | Sunday, October 7th, 2012

FAR Eastern University inched closer to a double UAAP basketball title romp yesterday.

The Lady Tamaraws moved within a win of a perfect season while the Baby Tams survived a thriller to take a 1-0 lead in the juniors championship series yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Allana Lim fired all her 17 points in the second half as the Lady Tamaraws downed the La Salle Lady Archers, 64-56, and stretched their unbeaten run to a record 15 games in the women’s caging.

Roger Domingo was the hero in juniors action, nailing the game-winning triple with 11.8 seconds left to lift the Baby Tams past the defending champion National University Bullpups, 78-77, in the series opener.

The Baby Tams pulled it off minus Jerie Pingoy in the crucial stretch as the back-to-back MVP fouled out in the final minute after a team-high 16 points, four assists and five steals.

“It was a blessing in disguise because they (Bullpups) didn’t know who will take the shot,” said FEU coach Michael Oliver.

Joshua Aguilon fueled the Baby Tams’ rally from eight points down, 63-71, in the last three minutes by firing all but two of his 11 points in the final period.

The Bullpups fumbled their last play after Reggie Morido gave NU its final taste of the lead, 77-75.

Lim shot 10 of the Lady Tamaraws’ 21 points in the final quarter where they pulled away, 62-53.

Aside from setting the longest win run in league history, the Lady Tams moved a win from becoming the first team to complete a season sweep since the Final Four format was implemented in 1994.

“We’re so pressured because there are a lot of things that go into your head after the 14-0 [elimination sweep],” said FEU coach Allan Albano.

The Lady Tamaraws and the Baby Tams hope to lift FEU’s basketball campaign after its favored men’s team surprisingly missed out on the Final Four for the first time in five years.

Meanwhile, University of Santo Tomas coach Pido Jarencio may just get away with a warning following his outburst against the referees in Game 1 of the men’s basketball championship won by Ateneo, 83-78, last Saturday.

League commissioner Ato Badoloato is set to decide early this week if Jarencio’s cut-throat gestures and furious confrontation with the referees after the game will merit a sanction.

“He may get a warning but it will still depend on the board,” said Badolato. “There’s no decision yet.”

The Lady Tamaraws earned an outright title berth and a thrice-to-beat bonus as incentives for sweeping the eliminations.

Thus, the Lady Tamaraws only need to win twice while the Lady Archers must win three times to clinch the title.

The scores:

First Game (Women)

FEU 64—Lim 17, Borja 13, Columna 12, Sambile 11, Gesalan 5, Soriano 2, Siat 2, Tanaman 2, Supnet 0.

LA SALLE 56—Piatos 15, Abaca 10, Viterbo 9, Wilson 7, Melendres 5, Santos 4, Garcia 4, Ong 2, Corcuera 0.

Quarters: 9-8, 18-21, 43-41, 64-56

Second Game (Jrs)

FEU 78—Pingoy 16, Lee Yu 12, Delfinado 11, R. Domingo 11, Aguilon 11, J. Domingo 8, Escoto 4, Completo 2, Belgica 2, Lumba 1, You 0, Palacio 0.

NU 77—Atangan 23, Morido 16, Cani 16, Busa 10, Battad 6, Lapiz 4, Canaynay 2, Mosqueda 0, Dela Cruz 0, Claveria 0, Cauilan 0, Castillo 0, Biteng 0, Banawan 0.

Quarters: 15-21, 40-31, 50-55, 78-77

Megatron
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
DLSU finally wins the overall championship of the UAAP

LION
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I apologize for posting this in the DLSU forum. But Gee Abanilla surely has a very short memory. He had a lot to say against foreign players when he was coaching CSB. I think another interview regarding his view on foreign players is needed. :)

-----------------------
“I DON’T LIKE FOREIGN PLAYERS ON MY TEAM” – Gee Abanilla
by Josef Ramos
Wednesday, 5 March 2008 (391 Views, 14 Comments)

For a change, College of Saint Benilde (CSB) has hired a new head coach for the next basketball National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) men’s basketball this season and hopefully the move would bring them back to respectability.

Gee Abanilla, 41, an assistant of Red Bull mentor Yeng Guiao in the PBA, replaced Carlos Caloy Garcia two months ago as head coach of the Saint Benilde Blazers, who finished last in the team standings during the past two years.

And as an inboundpass.com exclusive, we were able to interview Abanilla knowing the fact that this is his first time to handle a team from a highly-respected and oldest collegiate league in the country.

INBOUNDPASS: Well this is your first time to handle a collegiate team, so how do you feel?

GEE ABANILLA: I’m very thankful and at the same time excited after hearing the management’s decision of hiring me as coach. Step by step, I’ll do everything to turn them competitive again. I’m happy also because the players are very cooperative in my first two months. They have a good working ethic.

INBOUNDPASS: What are the expectations of the management from you?

GA: I signed a two-year contract and I told them that I’ll do everything to improve the team. Final Four is definitely a good place to be, but during our meeting I said we should be realistic also depending on what we got right now.If we finish last in the past two seasons, I told them there’s nothing we can do but to move forward.

If we ended 10th place last season, why not ninth or eighth this time (laughs). Every team in the NCAA is competitive, so it is indeed very challenging on my part to coach them.

INBOUNDPASS: How far do you think can your team go next season?

GA: I don’t want to make any prediction in the first place but we will do everything what it takes to win each game, not only in the NCAA but also during the preseason tournaments like the FIL-OIL and Nike Summer League. We will bring back the pride to the school.

INBOUNDPASS: What are the strength and weaknesses of the Blazers so far?

GA: Although there are more things which need to fix, all I can say right now is we are strong in the No. 2 position (shooting guard). Most of the guys are natural shooters and aggressive slashers. But I keep telling them that we cannot rely solely on our offense. We should also play defense.

It should be 10 percent techniques and 90 percent attitude. Caloy (Garcia) did a good job on his players, although they failed to move to the next level last year. There is no problem in the point guard position. Our disadvantage is the lack of big men and wing players. In short, we are undersized.

We need somebody who has a post threat and a physical type of player who can also score, rebound and block shots. As of now, we don’t have that kind of player in our roster and we are on the look out for future talent.

I think my players Chuck Dalanon, Byron Gan, Harvey Porras and Jeff Morial will be the core of this team next season.

INBOUNDPASS: So who will comprise your coaching staff?

GA: They are Richard Del Rosario, Mon Jose and Marlon Celis. They are all hardworking and defensive oriented coaches.

INBOUNDPASS: Do you favor foreign players in your team?

GA: I don’t like foreign players on my team because personally I favor players who came from the grassroots level though I would consider Fil-Foreign players. I’m also looking at the bigger picture for Philippine basketball. Foreign players cannot represent us in any overseas competition.

INBOUNDPASS: Aside from making Saint Benilde a team to reckon with, what are your other plans?

GA: It is actually easier said than done. Since Saint Benilde joined the NCAA in 1998, everybody was thinking that the school is only the second priority of the parent institution. And De La Salle University which plays in the UAAP is their first priority.

The Green Archers, most of them said, is the main team of the La Salle community. I want to change that view. If we play competitively, I think our image will change. People will realize that we are not the last choice. I want that La Salle and Saint Benilde are both equally competitive. I’m hoping that my goals will be a reality soon.

INBOUNDPASS: Any advice from Coach Yeng Guiao before taking this job?

GA: He is very supportive and I thank him for giving me some advice. I encouraged him to have some pep talk with my players and he promised he would.

INBOUNDPASS: Which team do you think is the strongest next season?

GA: San Beda College is definitely a contender because of their two Nigerians (Sam Ekwe and Kevin Udo). Others are Letran, Mapua, JRU and San Sebastian College, among others. But all of them are beatable if we execute our transition game and play solid defense.

nel
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
That's a non-issue. He works within the overall context of the long-term strategy mapped out by the team management. Hiring Gee is part of that strategy. Gee is a team player, and he works with what he's given as he tries to mold the team into a contender.

He may have had other views then, but that was a different situation. Situations change. Coaches move on to other teams. Priorities change. Strategies change. And coaches must adapt to their new situations. Of course he has the right to change his mind in different circumstances - do you begrudge him that right?

Btw, it's unusual that you would raise this point given that SBC's success in recent years has been largely due to foreign imports.

LION
03-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh you didn’t get the point, nel. You didn’t get the point. Read again. And you obviously don’t know the background of all these. :)

I’m sorry that your 2 foreign imports prior to Mbala turned out to be busts.

nel
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM
I get the point that Gee is now in a different situation which caused him to re-evaluate his previous position in the light of the team management's strategic directions. If he didn't agree, he was free to go. So it should very obvious that he's now comfortable with having imports on his team. Oh and btw, our previous experience with imports has no bearing at all with Gee's position today.

Again, why raise this at all when your school benefited greatly from imports such as Ekwe? We never questioned your coaches or school because it is their prerogative to recruit whoever they want for the team. I believe that our recruitment activities are exclusively the business of our team management.

Last time I looked, your team continues to have imports on your current roster. So what's your motive for questioning our coach's position on imports?

LION
03-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Oh never mind, nel. We’re going circles because you simply don’t get the point. :)

james_hunt
03-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Oh never mind, nel. We’re going circles because you simply don’t get the point. :)

Gee is entitled to change his mind. Live and let live...

LION
04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Gee is entitled to change his mind. Live and let live...

Now, I’m talking to someone who at least understands. I hear you james, bro.

But Gee changed his mind only when he finally found his own import. When it was convenient for him and his team. When he didn’t have it yet (with CSB), it was wrong to have an import because of the reasons he mentioned in that interview. Now that he changed his mind (how can he say no to the boss?) and wanted to have an import too on his team (just like SBC and the rest), was there a change in the reasons too? Frankly, that was a big H on his part. And sour-graping too back then.

Live and let live, I agree too. But back then, he had a lot to say about teams with foreign players. So it’s just fair that his own statements go back to him. Return to sender, I say. ET TU, GEE? :)

Having said my piece, it’s time to say - welcome to the club, Gee! What took you so long? :)

P.S.

This has nothing to do with DLSU, as you can see from my previous posts, because DLSU is, I believe, one of the first if not the first to really recruit and utilize foreign players.