PDA

View Full Version : Allado rips PBA, says games are 'fixed'

BigBlue
07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Don Allado opening a whole can of worms with several controversial tweets:

Allado rips PBA, says games are 'fixed' (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/04/12/allado-rips-pba-says-games-are-fixed)
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 07/04/2012 1:15 PM | Updated as of 07/04/2012 2:30 PM

MANILA, Philippines Barako Bull forward Don Allado fired a series of angry tweets following his team's loss to the Powerade Tigers in a do-or-die game last Tuesday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Tigers held off the Energy, 99-95, to stay in the hunt for the last semi-finals slot in the PBA Governors Cup. Allado scored seven points in the contest.

In a series of tweets, Allado blasted the PBA for what he perceived as biased officiating, claiming that "PBA games are fixed."

Don Allado@alotofDON
I'm the guy that says what others can't. #PBA games are fixed. They control who is in & who is out. It's a disgrace to be in this league.
4 Jul 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Don Allado@alotofDON
I can accept losing to teams. But I can't accept losing bcoz of referees.

Don Allado@alotofDON
I am bitter about losing. Not to Powerade, but to #PBA . In my opinion, this league has little credibility left.

"I can accept losing to teams. But I can't accept losing because of referees," Allado tweeted. "I am bitter about losing. Not to Powerade, but to PBA. In my opinion, the league has little credibility left."

Allado also said "it's a disgrace to be in this league."

The former La Salle standout added that he feels sorry for the Barako Bull management.

Don Allado@alotofDON
I feel for #BarakoRepubliq management. They put in time, effort & resources to form a competitive team like this only to be wasted by #PBA

When told by a fan that he should "delete this tweet" because he will get sanctioned by the league, Allado replied: "I hope they sanction me. I will expose them all."

yuri munsayac@yuri_ph 4 Jul 12
@alotofDON ka bmeg I think u shld delete dis tweet b4 it gets u into trouble with the pba...this is very serious and u might be sanctioned

Don Allado@alotofDON
@yuri_ph tnx pare. But I hope they sanction me. I will expose them all.

PBA commissioner Chito Salud later said that Allado "is certainly way out of line."

pbaconnect@pbaconnect
"He is certainly way out of line. He is indicting not just the game officials, but the entire organization and membership of the league...

pbaconnect@pbaconnect
...his co- players and team officials alike. This is a serious accusation, and i do not intend to take it lightly." -- comm. salud re allado

"He is indicting not just the game officials, but the entire organization and membership of the league, his co-players and team officials alike," Salud said, as tweeted by PBA Connect.

"This is a serious accusation, and I do not intend to take it lightly," Salud added.

Allado will most likely be fined by the PBA, though the league's media chief, Willie Marcial, said that may not be enough.

pbaconnect@pbaconnect
"kulang ang fine at suspension sa mga accusations ni allado sa liga (pba)." -- willie marcial, pba media bureau chief

bchoter
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like Allado bit more than he could chew. He's now deleted his tweets.

This social media thing... can come back to haunt you lol

BigBlue
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Ang baduy, nag-sorry kaagad. And i thought we finally had someone willing to spill the beans.

Allado says sorry for PBA game-fixing rant (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/04/12/allado-says-sorry-pba-game-fixing-rant)
By Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 07/04/2012 9:03 PM | Updated as of 07/04/2012 9:25 PM

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) – Barako Bull player Don Allado has apologized for his Twitter rant against the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), which he accused of game fixing.

He said he committed an error in judgement when he accused the league of game fixing.

“I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to Comm Salud & entire PBA for last night's tweets that's now a subject of controversy,” Allado said on his Twitter account.

“As a professional I should've known better,” he added.

Following his team’s 93-99 loss to Powerade on Tuesday, the 6’6” power forward/center posted a series of tweets blaming the league for their defeat.

"They control who is in and who is out. It’s a disgrace to be in this league," he tweeted. "I can accept losing to teams. But I can’t accept losing because of referees."
"I am bitter about losing. Not to Powerade, but to PBA. In my opinion, this league has little credibility left," Allado added.

Allado’s tweets have since been deleted.

Way out of line
PBA Commissioner Chito Salud said Allado was way out of line for making such accusations.

Salud lamented that it was a reckless move for a 13-year veteran in the league.

Allado started out in the PBA playing for Alaska Milk.

After 7 years with the Aces, he transferred to Talk N' Text before jumping to Air21, Purefoods, then eventually ending up with Barako Bull.

“It’s a shame. It’s irresponsible coming from a guy that has benefited for 13 years from the league that he now attacks. He’s a PBA player of 13 years and he speaks only today,” the PBA chieftain said in a statement.

Salud has summoned the Barako Bull slotman to appear in the PBA office at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Allado appears to have realized his mistake.

“I understand my statement may be construed by many as discrediting the PBA. Let it be known, however, that such is not my intention. Again, my sincerest apologies to the Comm Salud, Board of Governors & entire PBA,” he said.

genom222
07-05-2012, 12:17 AM
tanong dito is this just a guy so upset and bitter about their recent lost that he wanted a scapegoat (refs)? Or matagal ng kinikimmkim ito ni Don and he was at boiling point already? we will never know. I think he knows something pero was "threatened" not only by the league but also his own team that he might lost his job because of this. Sobrang nagiba tono ng statements nya after one day eh hehe

Sam Miguel
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
The whole problem with accusations like this is that they are almost impossible to back up with real evidence.

For example, the referee who didn't call a clear three-second violation on the import in those crucial stages late in the game has been suspended, so obviously that means the league saw this guy's blunder and rightfully punished him for it. Mabigat ang hatol, almost P300,000 in earnings ang mawawala sa ref na ito. How can the league be fixing games if they are throwing the book at the officials that supposedly carry out their orders?

Don Allado should have known better than just tweet away after a very hurting loss. When people, nevermind the league Comissioner, say you are nuts and a sore loser, everybody and his brother would agree.

If I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times: it is almost impossible to tell if someone is throwing a game or just making msitakes or having an off-night, and this applies to players, coaches and game officials.

Did your star player throw a game? How can you tell? Because he didn't score 30 points tonight?

Did the refs throw the game? How can you tell? Because they missed some calls or miscalled some calls?

Did your coach throw the game? How can you tell? Because he changed up his subsitution pattern, or maybe pulled the star out at a crucial point, or threw a bitch fit that cost your side a T?

Good luck proving any of that.

5FootCarrot
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Allado says sorry for PBA game-fixing rant (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/04/12/allado-says-sorry-pba-game-fixing-rant)
By Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 07/04/2012 9:03 PM | Updated as of 07/04/2012 9:25 PM

“As a professional I should've known better,” he added.

Yes, Mr. Allado should have.

I understand that 1) he was upset, 2) game-fixing is a very serious concern, and 3) society as a whole is still figuring out the boundaries of social networking, but I think that the age-old rule "don't $#!+ where you eat" still holds in this high-tech day and age.

I'm not saying that he should just bury his head in the sand if he truly believes that something fishy was going on - just that letting 'er rip on Twitter is probably not the best way to build a legitimate case with your employer.

Mateen Cleaves
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Paolo Bugia had good advice for Allado via Twitter as well: "Stop tweeting. You are either drunk, or drunk. Now go to sleep and regret tom."

Unfortunately, that advice came too late.

5FootCarrot
07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
^ Well-spotted, Bugs.

The first post in this thread also mentioned a fan replying to Mr. Allado's tweets with cautions that he might get sanctioned by the PBA, but the dude wasn't listening then, either.

Sam Miguel
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
This might be the best time for the PBA to actually include provisions on the use if the Internet, social media in particular, and even discussion boards where a player / coach / team official / league official is openly known as a posting member. These provisions should be included as amendments to the league by-laws and in every standard franchise contract for all teams, and in the contracts of anyone earning a living off the PBA, from players to coaches to team staff, etc-etc.

Among the things that should be prohibited:

- No posting, tweeting, updating of status or any similar public pronouncements in any online media, portal, etc-etc within 24 hours of a Loss by anyone on the losing team, at any stage of an ongoing conference
- No posting, tweeting, updating of status or any similar public pronouncements in any online media, portal, etc-etc after a Win by anyone on the winning team that includes anything other than the final score at any stage of an ongoing conference

pio_valenz
07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
^Preventing players from posting in FB or Twitter after a game is rather extreme. What if they just want to greet their fans, or express satisfaction over the way they played? Surely no ahrm can come from that. These are grown men. No need to police all of them. What Allado did is not representative of the mindset of all players. I follow the Twitter accounts of over a dozen players and all of them are very responsible with what they tweet. Besides, after the fine and suspension that Allado drew, I'm sure everyone will now think before they tweet.

Joescoundrel
07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
^ I don't think any PBA player, coach or manager wants to be out half a million, so yeah, I'm with Pio on this one.

Social media is just another opportunity for grownups to make that typical grownup decision of should I shoot my mouth off or should I just keep it to myself.

muffetteer
07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't you miss the good old days pre-Twitter and Facebook when you would rant only to your wife/gf/bestfriend/barkada/dog and not the whole damn world?

On second thought, no. Social media has given me a totally new form of entertainment.

5FootCarrot
07-27-2012, 09:41 AM
I came across this today and thought it rather relevant, although no professional athletes were included in the article.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/famous-cases-stupid-tweets-got-181014148.html