PDA

View Full Version : Knights in Season 88

bugleboy
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Knights Skewer Stags, 80-74!

I watched this game yesterday on a little TV phone at the departure area of NAIA, because I had the misfortune of having to go out of town on the same day that the NCAA opened. Anyway, I was like a mad man -- pounding the table at every Knight turnover and fist-pumping at every steal and made basket.

It seems that the Knights played possum in the off-season once again and kept the real improvements of Kevin Alas and Jonathan Belorio well under wraps. The good performance of Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal were not surprising, considering that these two (plus Jam Cortes) provided the offense for the Knights during the off-season. The defense was solid, resulting in multiple steals and points off turnovers. Almazan reverted to his old defensive self, swatting away shots and altering quite a few more.

What was worrisome, however, was how SSC was able to fight back in the third quarter, obliterating Letran's 14-point lead and even leading by three to end the quarter. It seemed the boys lost their concentration back there and got a bit over-confident. It's good that adjustments were made in the fourth quarter that Stags were not able to recover from. Sangalang was awesome, though; ditto for Abueva. I was surprised that Coach Topex put in Pascual and chose to stay with him even though he was obviously still not 100%. Whether or not that was a coaching error is something that can be debated. Problema na nila iyon.

Basta sa akin, I'm glad the Knights won. On to the next game! Conquistar por tu honor nuevas glorias!

bchoter
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Congratulations bugleboy. That was a marquee win for Letran, bringing down NCAA's version of the big 3

bugleboy
06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks, bchoter. But to be fair to Baste, they didn't have the full-strength version of the Big 3. Hopefully, when Pascual gets his mojo back, our Knights will perform just as well.

bugleboy
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Altas trim Knights, 62 - 59.

The Letran Knights had all sorts of problems figuring out Perpetual's zone defense before succumbing, 62-59 to the fired up Altas. The Knights appeared to be groping for form from the second quarter onwards, despite taking on intermittent leads in the game. Kevin Alas scattered 15 points, the last three of which was a booming trey that cut the Altas' five-point lead to two, 61-59, seconds left in the game. The Knights then fouled Omorogbe, who made one of two for the final count. The Knights had one final chance to at least salvage a tie to force overtime, but Kevin's three-point attempt rattled off the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Kudos to Perpetual. They really showed that they wanted this game. Jett Vidal, Earl Thompson, Omorogbe and their little PG, Jolangcob all contributed to give the Knights fits. On the other hand, Letran's offense sputtered off and on, with sporadic contributions from Kevin, Belorio, Cortes, Almazan, Racal, and Mark Cruz.

Sigh. I was hoping for a statement win, but apparently, Perpetual had other plans in mind. It seems that Louie Alas was right when he said that this season would be tougher than others because the teams are evenly matched. Still, laban lang. Arriba!

bugleboy
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Altas trim Knights, 62 - 59.

The Letran Knights had all sorts of problems figuring out Perpetual's zone defense before succumbing, 62-59 to the fired up Altas. The Knights appeared to be groping for form from the second quarter onwards, despite taking on intermittent leads in the game. Kevin Alas scattered 15 points, the last three of which was a booming trey that cut the Altas' five-point lead to two, 61-59, seconds left in the game. The Knights then fouled Omorogbe, who made one of two for the final count. The Knights had one final chance to at least salvage a tie to force overtime, but Kevin's three-point attempt rattled off the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Kudos to Perpetual. They really showed that they wanted this game. Jett Vidal, Earl Thompson, Omorogbe and their little PG, Jolangcob all contributed to give the Knights fits. On the other hand, Letran's offense sputtered off and on, with sporadic contributions from Kevin, Belorio, Cortes, Almazan, Racal, and Mark Cruz.

Sigh. I was hoping for a statement win, but apparently, Perpetual had other plans in mind. It seems that Louie Alas was right when he said that this season would be tougher than others because the teams are evenly matched. Still, laban lang. Arriba!

bugleboy
06-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Oops, final score was 69-66, not 62-59 as stated above. No matter. Olats pa rin. Bawi na lang.

bugleboy
07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Chiefs Scalp Knights, 77 - 67

Grrr... The Knights lost all their competent big men -- Almazan to illness, Cortes and Belorio to disqualifying flagrant fouls -- and succumbed to the Arellano Chiefs, 77-67 in the resumption of NCAA MBT hostilities at the Arena in San Juan. The rest of the Knights, including Kevin Alas, Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal, had a miserable time shooting the basket, even from the free-throw line. I think we shot close to 50% on FTs in this game. Come on! I don't know whether this was a lack of concentration, or they just got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning. As for Cortes and Belorio, well, they really should know better than to react to cheap shots with cheap shots of their own.

On the bright side, at least Kevin and Mark Cruz were able to trim the Chiefs' 15-point lead down to 2, with three minutes to go. But then Mark muffs two gift shots, Arellano's Forrester nails a three, and it was all downhill from there.

No excuses here. Arellano simply played better. We played like we wanted to be elsewhere. I sure hope Coach Louie screws the Knights' heads on straight next time we play, or else this is going to be a looooong season for us.

oca
07-08-2012, 08:53 AM
This is a long season and with 15 games more to play win-loss records don't mean much yet, not now anyway. But who is worried about w-l now, nobody I suppose. But... but if anyone is keeping tab of "how" teams are playing, this team is sure not playing to its billing.

With 12 holdovers that included Kevin Alas, Cortes and Cruz, this is a team that is projected to make it to the Finals. But not with the way they are playing.

In yesterday's game... Cortes is supposed to be a veteran, that flagrant foul was stupid. Parang bata, eh beterano na dapat. Then , here is a Kevin Alas who slips at almost every transition. Hindi naman madulas ang sahig. Kevin, don't initiate contact and then find yourself on the floor expecting the refs to whistle and make a call against your man. Just go for the shot.

The way these two are playing, no way Letran should consider themselves contenders.

I wasn't impressed with the win vs Baste because I felt Topex mis-coached in that game, giving Ronald Pascual too much time on the floor when it was clear early on the guy wasn't in game form yet. With Pascual playing that way and still getting long minutes, Baste was like playing 4 against 5. Tatalunin talaga ng Letran.

In yesterday's game, Koy has played enough games vs Louie to know how the Knights would play. Validating this was level-headed play of the Chiefs.

Bugleboy is correct, yung tornilyo ng players ay dapat mahigpitan ni Louie.

Pero, gagawin o magagawa ba yan ni Louie? The demeanor of the Knights these past 3 games is consistent with how they have played all these years with him as head coach.

Just let go of Alas at the end of the season. Nakakasawa na.

Stardust
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
You write well Bugleboy. Kudos! I sense a good upbringing as well derived from your family and from your school. I wish the rest of your peers will be more active and expunge the few rotten ones that are smearing your centuries-old institution. Continue living the true arriba. Animo!

bugleboy
07-10-2012, 09:12 PM
@Oca, well, I'm not panicking yet, even with the Knights' loss yesterday. But I guess what is evident at this point is that we have a rather shallow bench so if something happens to the main bigs (like Cortes, Almazan and Belorio), then the others will not be able to carry the team. I agree with you about Kevin Alas. He consistently slips, slides, and loses the ball at the slightest nudge. He really can handle the ball better than that. Methinks he's just trying to make it appear that contact has been made to fish for a foul. Unfortunately for him, the refs aren't biting. Re Cortes, amen to that.

@Stardust, thanks for the compliment. Re rotten apples, well, there will always be a few in every school. But we can always hope for the best.

bugleboy
07-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game yesterday. But, just to be consistent, here's the account from www.ncaa.org.ph (with changed title, though):

Blazers Burn Knights, 77 - 60

The College of Saint Benilde Blazers recovered from their previous two set backs as they banked on a huge second half as torching the woeful Letran Knights, 77-60 at the San Juan Arena gym earlier.

The Blazers got a major lift from prized transferee Joel Tolentino who led the Benilde rally in the second half, getting a total of 17 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. Tolentino spearheaded the Benilde rally, running every time they get a chance, resulting to 23 fastbreak points compared to Letran’s 3. With the win, Benilde moved up to 2-2.

Coach Richard del Rosario couldn’t be any happier with the win

“This was a very important game because we were able to keep our heads above water,” Richard del Rosario said. “We’re just trying to win as many games, against Mapua we were playing them undermanned and we lost, we didnt want to commit the same mistake against Letran.” he added.

The Blazers were actually down in the first half, 35-40, following a hot start by skipper Kevin Alas. But Benilde banked on their solid defense, allowing Letran to just 20 points in the half and completely shutting down Letran’s Alas as he went scoreless in the half.

“At the first half, I was being outcoached. Nagadjust ako, we went small and we were able to run.” added del Rosario.

The Blazers also drew big games from Mark Romero and Paolo Taha who produced 23 points and 16 rebounds combined. Lastimosa for his part had a fairly quiet night, scoring 10 points and dishing out 3 assists.

It was another disappointment for this season’s host as they dropped three consecutive games against teams who failed to make the semis last year. With the consecutive losses, Letran now falls to the cellar alongside Arellano and Lyceum with an identical 1-3 record.

Kevin Racal was the only bright spot for Letran in the second half scoring 18 points and adding 8 rebounds. Mark Cruz and Kevin Alas combined for 24 points but also combined to shoot a woeful 7/30 for the Knights.

Letran was missing the services of bigman Raymond Almazan who’s still on sickbay and Jam Cortes who’s serving a one game suspension.

The scores

CSB 77 – Tolentino 17, Romero 13, Taha 10, Lastimosa 10, Grey 9, Bartolo 7, Sinco 5, Ongtenco 4, Tan 2, Deles 0, Maconcido 0

CSJL 60 – Racal 18, Cruz 13, Alas K 11, Belorio 6, Olotu 5, Lituania 4, Alas J 2, Cudal 1, Pantin 0, Luib 0, Almario 0

Quarter scoring: 17-23, 35-40, 56-50, 77-60

totimendiola
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
babawi yan.

bugleboy
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
^Nawa'y magdilang-anghel ka, totimendiola. Salamat.

bugleboy
07-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Knights Fry Cardinals, 66 - 60.

Finally, another win!

The Letran Knights employed a suffocating man-to-man defense in the period bridging the third and fourth quarters to suck the life out of the Mapua Cardinals, 66 - 60, in the resumption of hostilities yesterday of the 88th NCAA men's basketball tournament at the San Juan Arena. Well, perhaps that was an exaggeration, as even though the Knights were up by 17 up to about the six-minute mark of the fourth quarter, the Cardinals -- courtesy of Mike Parala, Kenneth Ighalo and Jumel Chien -- were able to trim the deficit down to three, 59 - 62, with a little over a minute left.

But luck was on the Knights' side as Josan Nimes committed crucial errors and muffed free throws while Kevin Alas and Mark Cruz sank enough free throws to preserve the win.

It seemed that the Knights came prepared to lock down Nimes as a slew of defenders were able to deny him the ball. However, Ighalo and Parala managed to keep the Cardinals in the game with timely outside hits and inside incursions. The Cardinals' new guys, Gab Banal and Saitanan, seemed tentative in this ballgame and scored only 5 points between them.

On the Knights' side, Jonathan Belorio was a revelation. I don't have the stats with me, but from where I was sitting, it seemed that he was the most accurate among the Knights yesterday, with medium-range shots being sunk from all over the place. Carlo Lituania was also in sync yesterday, and managed to make up somewhat for the sub-par offensive showing of Mark Cruz.

Of course, Kevin Alas was back to his old slashing, stealing self, finishing the game with 21 points. All in all, a good comeback game for the Knights.

Scores from Inboundpass.com:

Letran 66 - Alas K. 21, Cortes 12, Belorio 12, Racal 8, Lituania 5, Gabawan 4, Alas J. 2, Cruz 2, Pantin 0.

MIT 60 - Parala 15, Ighalo 14, Chien 10, Nimes 7, Banal J. 6, Estrella 3, Saitanan 3, Banal G. 2, Stevens 0.

Quarter scores: 17-16; 31-31; 45-37; 66-60

Joescoundrel
07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Where the hell is Raymond Almazan? Is he injured? I haven't even seen him in street clothes. I thought that was him yesterday, except the guy I saw was much shorter and turned out to be RJ Jazul with family in tow. Must have been the chins that threw me.

Last time we spoke I thought he was finally talked into playing full time this season after rampant speculation and some absences in the summer tournaments that led to this rumor that he was not going to play anymore in Season 88.

If that boy is still enrolled then he needs to be reined in and brought back, and it will take more senior Knights to get him to come about, because he is the last vital missing piece that will make Letran a legit title contender.

bugleboy
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
^Well, I only have FB feeds from Mac Andaya (from one of the Letran FB groups) to sustain me. And per the feeds, Almazan suffered a relapse from flu and is currently recuperating. Andaya was supposedly helping Andaya and Junjun Alas to up their game, as a support to Coach Louie.

bchoter
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
^ Sa tantya ko ang pagiging matapang ang tinuturo ni Mac sa mga bagito. Bulaga!

Biro lang bugleboy :)

bugleboy
07-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Bchoter, saludo ako kay Mac Andaya sa kanyang dedikasyon sa aming alma mater. Kung iyon ang makukuha ng aming mga bagito, mas malayo ang mararating ng aming koponan. At iyan ay 'di biro.

P. S. - Re sa "face value" ni Andaya, sa tingin ko immune na ang mga Letranista diyan. :)

danny
07-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Wala kang kasama dito bugleboy. Why? Andun silang lahat sa PEX? Encourage them to post here.

bugleboy
07-26-2012, 06:41 AM
^Baka nakulitan sa bagong interface. Naroon silang lahat sa Knights FB page.

Anyway, re the game yesterday, I suppose I should be thankful for the win. But the way we won wasn't very encouraging. Botched free throws, Almazan's continued absence, lack of poise in the end game -- when will this drama end? Yeah, I suppose I should be thankful for the win.

(From ncaa.org.ph - with some editing to change title and to remove grammatical errors)

Knights Slay Generals, 65 - 62

In a game of runs that was decided on the last basket, Letran proved out to be tougher.

The Letran Knights hung on to a 65-62 win against the EAC Generals at the first billing of the first ever out-of-town game held at the San Luis Sports Complex at Sta. Cruz, Laguna. With the win, they officially got their win number three and their first back to back wins in the 88th season of the NCAA.

It was a game of runs which saw both teams engage in huge rallies, including an unbelievable 22-0 rally by Letran to bridge the third and the fourth quarter to take a 58-45 lead after EAC’s 11-0 rally following Remy Morada’s three straight triples in the third. However, the Generals stormed back in the latter moments of the fourth giving the Letran side some tense moments in the end game.

With Letran leading by five, 65-60 with 27 secs to go, Kevin Racal missed two free throws which led to a Russell Yaya layup to cut the Letran lead to a one possession game, 62-65. Kevin Alas was then given the opportunity to ice the game, but also missed two free throws to give the Generals one final shot to push the game into overtime. However, Jan Jamon missed two chances to send the game into overtime, leading to their fifth loss in six games.

Despite the win, Coach Louie Alas wasn’t satisfied with how his wards played in the game

“I still have to figure it (the problem) out. We have to improve several notches higher in order to compete,” Alas said. “We have to play as men, not as boys. The way we played, di pa pang final four.”
Kevin Alas led Letran with an all around effort of 23 points 6 rebounds and 6 assists and Jam Cortes added 11 points and 12 rebounds for this year’s hosts. Remy Morada led the slumping Generals with 21 points banked on 6 threes while Noube Happi had another impressive outing with 17 points and 14 rebounds.

The Scores:

Letran (65) — K. Alas 23, Cortes 11, Belorio 10, Cruz 8, Racal 6, J. Alas 5, Gabawan 2, Luib 0, Lituania 0, Almario 0, Pantin 0.

EAC (62) — Morada 21, Happi 17, Yaya 10, Chiong 4, Jamon 3, Munsayac 3, Paguia 2, Monteclaro 2, Tayongtong 0, Pillas 0.

Quarterscores: 14-10, 28-29, 49-45, 65-62.

bchoter
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Whoa out of town game! What's next? Home and away? If only every school had a gym that has at least 5K seating capacity. Final Four can be played in Araneto or MOA Arena or UST gym (maisingit lang :D)

bugleboy
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
@bchoter: From the photos provided in ncaa.org.ph, it looked like the audience in Sta. Cruz, Laguna was quite sizeable. Of course, I don't know the size of the venue, so my judgment may have been due to an optical illusion. I did see several familiar Letran alumni in the crowd -- with ex-Letran cager Aloy Taplah even joining in.

knightrider
07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Aloy Taplah played for Calamba Letran Knights before joining the Knights of Intramuros. So it's no surprise to see him in the provincial game in Laguna.

knightrider
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Arriba Letran!!!

With today's win vs LPU, the Knights are Season 88 1st round winners of the Battle of Intramuros. Nice effort by the Pirates, but Letran played the more energetic game.

bugleboy
08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
^Thanks, knightrider!

Knights Scuttle Pirates, 70 - 60 (Title changed by bugleboy)

Posted August 2, 2012 by NCAA.org.ph in Basketball

With a close game heading to the second half and a fever laden squad, the Knights found a way to dig deep and pull themselves away from a gritty Lyceum squad.

Letran relied on the stingy defense that they’re know for as they pulled away in the second half en route to a 70-60 victory over the Lyceum Pirates at the San Juan Arena, earlier.

Kevin Alas fought through a fever and finished with another all around effort with 16 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists to propel the Knights to their third straight win following their three game losing skid.

With Letran leading by just 1 38-37 at the half, the clamped down on the defensive end, keeping the Pirates scoreless in the first five minutes of the third quarter. Kevin Alas then nailed crucial baskets in the end game complimented with key defensive stops to put away the Pirates for good.

However, it wasn’t only Kevin Alas who was playing with a fever. Key slotman Jam Cortes was also playing under the weather but managed to finish with 14 points and 8 rebounds. Kevin Racal, another guy who’s also under the weather, finished with 7 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists in 37 productive minutes for the Knights.

“Wala sa gameplan yung nangyari. 6 dys na may trangkaso si Kevin. Si Jam and si Racs meron din,” Louie Alas said. “Gusto ko silang icommend kasi gusto ko na silang ipahinga pero gustong gusto talagang manalo ng back-to-back-back” he added.

Chris Cayabyab led the Pirates with 16 points but shot a woeful 5-19 from the field. Jhygruz Laude finished with 11 points and added 7 rebounds for Lyceum who dropped their fourth straight game and completed the first round with a 2-7 record.

The Knights are set to face the red hot JRU Heavy Bombers in the first game of the Molten and Mikasa sponsored tournament next Thursday

bugleboy
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Boxscores: (from http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/flu-hit-knights-win-3rd-straight)

LETRAN (70) -- Alas Ke. 16, Cortes 14, Cruz 11, Racal 7, Belorio 7, Luib 6, Alas Kr. 6, Pantin 2, Gabawan 1, Lituania 0

LYCEUM (60) -- Cayabyab 16, Laude 11, Guevarra 10, Francisco 8, Zamora 7, Ko 6, Garcia 2, Ambohot 0, Alanes 0, Azores 0, Martinez 0

Quarterscores: 19-19, 37-36, 58-47, 70-60

ESCALERA JR.
08-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Knockknock...Test123. Ah finally nakapasok din after several months of trying.

Ok, so when will be our next game bugleboy? Heard that big head este big boy Almazan is out of the team. What could be his reason.

bugleboy
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
^Per NCAA sked, the next game is today, August 13, vs. JRU. Definitely a crucial game for the Knights, as we need to gain momentum going into the second round. Re Almazan, well, that is still a big question mark for me. He says he has big problems, but it seems he does not want to be helped. Oh well, with or without him, life goes on...

bugleboy
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Terrible game today by the Knights. We were outhustled, outshot and outrebounded by the fired-up JRU Heavy Bombers and lost terribly. The JRU players kept slashing through the porous Letran defense like knives through butter and got one uncontested shot after another. Plus, Lopez, Villarias, and Carampil chose this day of all days to come alive and help Nate "The Great" Matute carry the scoring load.

The Knights, on the other hand, allowed this game to get out of hand from the second quarter onwards, with just Kevin Alas scoring here and there. But then, Kevin turned the ball over too many times in this ball game, too, thus lessening his overall contribution to the team.

They came alive late in the fourth quarter, though, and managed to shave the JRU lead down to 11 through baskets by Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal and Jam Cortes. And then Villarias spoiled it all with another flurry of baskets.

In the end, too many turnovers by the Knights, plus inspired play on both offense and defense by JRU spelled the difference for this ball game. It seemed that the Bombers wanted to make a statement in this ball game, i.e., that their loss to SBC was not a reflection of their real ability as a team, while the Knights may have treated the game too lightly. Whatever -- any way you cut it, olats pa rin.

Bawi na lang tayo, team. Never give up! Never give in!

Box scores (from NCAA FB):

Jose Rizal University (101) -- Villarias 29, Matute 25, Lopez 12, Carampil 12, Almario 9, Mabulac 4, Camasura 4, Dela Paz 3, Mendoza 2, Salaveria 1, Porter 0.

Letran (83) -- K. Alas 31, Racal 15, Cortes 15, Cruz 14, J. Alas 4, Gabawan 2, Lituania 2, Luib 0, Belorio 0, Almario 0.

Quarterscores: 19-17, 48-38, 74-54, 101-83.

knightrider
08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Kevin Alas can't do it all. The others have unfortunately not stepped up. No need to cry over spilled milk now that Alamzan is probably gone for this season. I hope this loss is a wake up call to play to win next game. With Kevin Alas having expended himself this game, the others have to bring out their best from the start. The next opponent will come out with all guns blazing after their debacle against SSCR, just like the Bombers did today. The Knights should do likewise if they are to make a game of it.

The pressing defense put up by the Bombers reminded me of similar defense used by the Knights in previous season.

Is that Ronjay Enrile with the coaching staff? Is he being groomed to succeed Coach Louie after this season? While he was a vital cog of the Knights 14th and 15th crowns, his meltdown in the OT of FF game vs PCU cost us the crown for that year. That is a nightmare that lingers on to this day.

ESCALERA JR.
08-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Another sorry loss...isipin na lang naten na kinalawang o basa pa ang carburador ng mga bata dahil sa haba ng ulan habagat.

Lets forget about collaring a twice to beat as it will only put undue pressure to our boys, just be practical to at least land 4th slot. We have 10 more games to play. Win as many games in the next round, not lose to teams below us and steal a couple of wins against the top 4 teams above us...and viola, we' ll be back in business in no time.

Arriba lng ng arriba!!

Sam Miguel
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
By Marc Anthony Reyes

Philippine Daily Inquirer

3:03 am | Tuesday, August 14th, 2012

GAMES THURSDAY (San Juan Arena)

4 p.m.—Mapua vs Arellano

6 p.m.—San Beda vs Letran

MANILA, Philippines—San Sebastian squandered a 20-point lead but still had enough spunk to down defending champion San Beda, 80-71, even as Jose Rizal pounced on out-of-sync Letran to score a 101-83 rout last night as they shared top spot in NCAA men’s basketball at San Juan Arena.

The Stags, powered by their own version of Big 3 namely Calvin Abueva, Ronald Pascual and Ian Sangalang, surged to a 35-15 advantage early in the second quarter which threatened to turn the game many dubbed as “bad blood’’ into bloodshed.

But Baser Amer, flung triples to highlight the Red Lions’ searing rally, the last one in the dying seconds of the third quarter that pushed San Beda to within 58-59.

That’s until Pascual once again found his range from the three-point lane, and Abueva his magic touch and made things right again for 2009 champion San Sebastian.

The PBA-ready Abueva finished with 21 points, 21 rebounds and nine assists, while Pascual topscored with 28 points on 7-of-13 three-point shooting. Sangalang added nine points and 10 rebounds.

“We expected them to come back, given that they are the defending champions, what is important is that we made the stops we didn’t try to protect the lead,’’ said SSC coach Topex Robinson.

Like the Stags, the Bombers rose to 7-2.

The scores:

First Game

JOSE RIZAL 101—Villarias 29, Matute 25, Carampil 12, Lopez 12,Almario 9, Mabulac 4, Camasura 4, Dela Paz 3, Mendoza 2, Salaveria 1,Porter 0.

LETRAN 83—Kevin Alas 31, Racal 15, Cortes 15, Cruz 14, Kr Alas 4, Lituania 2, Gabawan 2, Luib 0, Almario 0, Belorio 0.

Quarters: 19-17, 48-38, 74-54, 101-83

Second Game

SAN SEBASTIAN 80—Pascual 28, Abueva 21, Maiquez 11, Sangalang 9, Dela Cruz 4, Antipuesto 3, Rebullos 2, Juico 2, Binuya 0, Miranda 0, Balucanag 0.

SAN BEDA 71—Caram 17, Amer 14, J. Pascual 10, K. Pascual 6, Lim 6, Dela Rosa 6, Adeogun 4, Dela Cruz 0, Koga 0.

Quarters: 32-15, 46-31, 59-58, 80-71

bugleboy
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
^@knightrider: Yup, I noticed Ronjay Enrile on the bench, along with Eric Rodriguez and the usual slew of Alas assistants. I don't think they (Enrile and Rodriguez) have been appointed assistant coaches yet although they did sport the same white Letran shirts as the other guys. The gesture may have been just a way to thank them for the efforts they expended, along with Big Mac, to help the current Knights in their practices. Re the 2004 meltdown, well, matagal na iyon. What's important is Ronjay is helping now. Let bygones be bygones, 'ika nga.

@Escalera Jr.: I think the Knights were really out-of-sync yesterday -- for whatever reason, I don't know. About half of those turnovers by Kevin Alas were actually good passes that were just botched by his team mates. Butter fingers or plain lack of concentration or nervousness? Kaya noong bandang gitna, medyo nag-a la Lebron James na si Kevin.

Ang dami ring missed assignments, butas na butas ang depensa. And I couldn't understand why they seemed to have such a hard time with the JRU press. Ang daming turnovers din doon. Plus, it seemed they had such a short fuse yesterday, reacting to each and every JRU nudge and bump. Tuloy, thrown out si Belorio, and I think we will miss him in the game against San Beda.

So the game on Thursday vs. San Beda will be a good test of character for these guys. Without Almazan, Belorio, and Gabriel, how will they be able to cope? If they play like they did vs. JRU, well, tapos tayo rito. However, if they play like they did vs. SSC, then we have a fighting chance. The question is: which Letran team will show up on Thursday?

knightrider
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
@bugleboy

Yup, I noticed Ronjay Enrile on the bench, along with Eric Rodriguez and the usual slew of Alas assistants. I don't think they (Enrile and Rodriguez) have been appointed assistant coaches yet although they did sport the same white Letran shirts as the other guys.

I was speculating on the "possible" replacement of Coach Louie. I read in the Letran News three years ago after his then latest reappointment, Coach Alas intimated that this present stint was to be his last, and will just serve as team consultant, thereafter, if ever. Also, there is speculation bruited about that he will join the Alaska bench as assistant coach on defense. So that was the basis for my comment on the matter.

knightrider
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
It would indeed be interesting to see tomorrow how our depleted line-up will fare against beda. Luib, Lithuania, have to exert effort double time, and Pantin must show he is not merely a shooter but a scorer. VJ Espiritu, who opted out this season, was not a consistent outside threat but had inside moves that somewhat freed the perimeter scorers (which we don't really have). I really miss the Roco brothers, the Bolido brothers, the Pineda brothers, the Rolly Marcelos, the Calaguios, the Romy Angs, the Tim Colosos, and more recently, the Aldaves and the Jazuls who could really scorch the basket from downtown with a degree of consistency. The exclusion of the great Samboy Lim is intentional. Though he could hit from the outside, he was better know as a scoring impresario inside the lane and under the rim. As for Jaypee Belencion, well...

knightrider
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I admire the big heart and competitive spirit of Kevin Alas. Though he only scored six points , he was still giving it all while the rest of the team folded up after a big lead was obtained by the other team. As I said, Kevin can't do it all. He was pretty dried up, scoring wise today, after his 31 point game last Monday. The others just didn't step up offensively. Parang walang energy. Are they suffering from the depression that Alamzan allegedly is having? Nakakahawa ba iyon? There were no points coming from the perimeter, thus the opponent clogged the lanes. When Jun Jun Alas become a scoring option, I knew we were in trouble. He had many touches but flubbed the shots or fumbled the ball. He is a defensive gem but an offensive nightmare. Mabigat ang kamay ng bata. Open shots near and below the basket just went out because the guy just doesn't have a soft touch. He's worse than the butterfingered John Foronda he succeeded. Dapat practisin yung pa banda para ma ka score. If Alamzan was there, he could have erased several shots by the other side. Getting the 4th slot is going to be a big struggle. Signs are there that the team is imploding. That has to be arrested.

ESCALERA JR.
08-17-2012, 02:32 AM
What a pitiful sight...Our only scoring option is struggling from the field and the rest couldnt step up their game even half a notch higher.

Time to regroup and look forward to the next 9 games ahead. We now definitely couldnt afford to lose back to back to back.
But after reading an article about Almazan going back in the fold, medyo nagka pag asa pa siguro....sana!

Catching up w Perps at #4 is still apossibility. Winning 6 or 7 games might just be enough for us to knock at the f4 doorstep.

Onward Knights!

bugleboy
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
^To San Beda's credit, they played pretty good defense on Kevin Alas, and that's why he had to bleed for his points. The other Knights, though, could have tried harder to get him free through picks. But the few picks they tried ended up as moving picks, and so translated into turnovers. Hayzz. Marami pang practice ang kailangan, at marami pang psycho babble sessions bago maging Final Four caliber ang team na ito.

On a positive note, I thought Carlo Lituania did well in the few minutes that he was fielded in. He was the lone spark in the early goings when the other Knights couldn't find their range. Cortes, for all his point-blank flubs, topscored for the Knights, which just goes to show what kind of problems we had in this game.

Incidentally, I saw this sidenote in Inboundpass.com, and I'm posting a portion of it here for your reference, as I don't know how I feel about this:

Almazan vows return
“Tanggapin ko na lang kung anong role bigay sa akin ni coach”, said Raymund Almazan during half-time in front of the media. An old fractured ankle and a viral infection caused him to miss games. He later admitted that he was not practicing, has not formally spoken to Letran Mentor Louie Alas but has reiterated his desire to suit up for the Knights in the 2nd round. “Alam naman niya na na-injure ako, pero di lang ako nagpaalam nang maayos, he added, “basta walang nag-kombinse sa akin”.
Almazan has only played 2 games for Letran in the 1st round averaging 6-points and 8 rebounds in 19 minutes each game. In Season 87, Almazan produced 7-points, close to 10 rebounds in 22 minutes for 20 games.

The box scores (from Inboundpass.com):

Individual Scores:
SAN BEDA 65 — Lim 12, Adeogun 10, Dela Cruz 10, Dela Rosa 8, Koga 7, Caram 5, Pascual J. 5, Pascual K. 5, Mendoza 3, Amer 0
LETRAN 43 — Cortes 12, Alas Kr. 7, Lituania 7, Alas Ke. 6, Racal 5, Cruz 4, Gabawan 2, Luib 0, Cudal 0, Pantin 0
Quarter Scores: 14-10, 30-18, 49-32, 65-43

Whatever -- with Almazan, without Almazan, tambakan man o hindi, arriba pa rin! Pero ang gusto kong makita naman ay yung Knights na lumalaban!

knightrider
08-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Kevin Alas used up all his "bullets" in the game against the Bombers. He was shooting blanks in this game despite good looks and being open several times. He is no Lebron or Kobe, so he will not score 30 points every game just by turning it on.

The other side is harping they defended well against the Knights. It's more like the Knights had NO offense, with a tinge of "malas" as the rim seemed to be spitting out sure balls. Also, uncharacteristically, they seemed to have thrown the towel by the middle of the 4th quarter, Kevin Alas excepted.

If the great Letranite PBA coach was handling this NCAA team, will he still make a comment like -"With or without Almazan, we can win this crown!" ? Ha ha ha!

bugleboy
08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Definitely, Almazan will be a great help, most especially in defense and rebounding. Any points he makes will be gravy, as far as I'm concerned. My only point here was, his coming back into the team will depend a lot on his willingness to go through whatever coach Louie will tell him to do, and whatever bridges he would have to patch up with the team. In other words, his coming back may not be entirely dependent on him alone, or on us fans wanting him back, but on the coach and the team. If I were coach Louie, I would want him back, but I would exact some sort of punishment on him so that others will not imitate what he did. But then, that's just me, and I'm no coach.

@knightrider: Just out of curiosity, which great Letranite PBA coach were you referring to -- Yeng Guiao?

ESCALERA JR.
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Mga bossing...Are we about to throw in the towel? Hope im wrong about this but if this lastest lost (4seasons in a row, 12 /13 consecutive games overall) vs the RL was any indication, aba eh parang tukod na talaga tayo. How can it be that one of their seldom used player was having a heyday throwing those 3's!!!...asan na ung depensang pinagmamalaki naten? Prior to this, losing to a squad that were beaten by only six players...kamalasan pa ba tawag dun or this years edition of the Knights team is, shall we say a mediocre one.

Losing Almazan midway in the 1st rd is a convenient excuse. Now that he is suiting back his knights jersey, I hope things turn around for the better. If not, this season could be well the worst team in a long long time. I hope not.

Ganon pa man, Arriba lang ng arriba!

bugleboy
08-18-2012, 10:26 PM
^Hindi kamalasan ang pagkatalo sa Arellano. It was a confluence of several things -- Forrester finally getting his groove, the Chiefs wanting to win in order to break their losing streak, and our inconsistent defense. BTW, Forrester did not play for Arellano when SBC played them in the first round, so the Arellano team we met was not really the same team that SBC met and beat handily.

Re San Beda, the reason Melo Lim kept getting his treys was because we were allowing him open looks. Halos walang challenge from our defenders. I think the boys are getting discouraged too easily, as observed by knightrider. It's as if our boys don't believe that they can come back from a deficit. When they're down big, they just suddenly stop playing defense and lose concentration on offense, resulting in turnovers and easy conversions for the opponents. This is where leadership -- from the team captain and from the coach -- should come in. Somehow, both Coach Louie and Kevin should be able to weld this team back together if we have to have a fighting chance this season. Hopefully, the projected comeback of Almazan should help.

knightrider
08-19-2012, 10:59 PM
@knightrider: Just out of curiosity, which great Letranite PBA coach were you referring to -- Yeng Guiao?

Yup. Though he played for DLSU (or is it UP) in college, he is a Letranite through and through (Elem or HS). I remember during a coverage of one the finals between Baste and Letran in late 1990s or early 2000s where he was a guest commentator, he acknowledge that he studied in Letran. In the many interviews he had with another almunus, popular sportscaster Ed Picson, he frequently admitted that he had Dugong Arriba flowing in his veins. Maybe that is where he gets his "bangis" to win championships in the PBA.

Also, I think the team needs to be infused with this "dugo" in view of the anemic showing thus far.

As for Jaypee Belencion, congrats for being picked by TnT in the PBA draft. I hope he gets signed.

bugleboy
08-21-2012, 12:13 AM
^AFAIK, Guiao attended Letran for grade school, then LSGH for high school, then UP for college. You're right -- the Knights need a double dose of the passion for winning that Yeng has. Kung puwede lang sanang ilagay sa syringe ang tunay na Dugong Arriba, siguro noon pa ginawa iyon ni Coach Louie. Earlier, I was watching the game between Benilde and Perps, where the Blazers battled from 16 points down in the fourth quarter to almost snatch the victory from the Altas. Even though they lost, I'm sure the Blazers must have felt good after that rousing fight-back. That's the spirit I wish for this current crop of Knights, the spirit that previous generations (including last year's team) had. Nawa'y manumbalik muli. Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
We'll see if the 'bangis' character is still running thru the veins of this years Knights. The next couple of games would be very crucial as we are facing the RL again on Sept.1. But before the lions, an appetizer of sorts a week earlier against the Cardinals. i wouldnt put too much pressure on the team...winning one out of 2 would be fair enough, winning both is even much better. However, if we lose both games, then it would surely be a steep climb for us to reach even the 4th spot.

The way the Perps are playing right now, parang di na naten mahahabol pa. Surprisingly for JRU, nakapag pundar ng maraming panalo sa unang round. Magtatalo man sila against the top 3 teams, assured na ung 4th spot. Asa nalng taya matalo sila ng 2 pang team sa baba. Hoping na rin sana si the Beast Abueva, having just secured a PBA team ay mag papetik-petik na from now on at masira ang diskarte. The other teams on the lower bracket can spring up surprising upsets, just look at EAC that won over the Stags, CSB w. a clse game w Perps and AU gaining ground. Keeping our fingers crossed.

knightrider
08-22-2012, 09:21 AM
After losing three straight games in the first round, Coach Louie told the fans that the team will make it to the FF. Considering that the last 2 lost games were against the biggies of the league, his statement still holds true provided we don't lose to lower ranked teams. But these said teams are no push overs as the Chiefs, Pirates, Blazers have mettle in them to spring surprises. I hope we are not one of those surprised. On the other hand, Perps, JRU, and Baste have shown inconsistency and vulnerability once they let their guard down. Maybe we can spring a surprise or two on the top teams. But the losses incurred by those teams were the results of complacency and over-confidence. I doubt if they will be sleeping against a team like Letran. Anyway, pray the current 3rd and 4th teams in the standings lose more games and the Knights start a winning streak that will make a FF placing materialize. It is getting to be frustrating that a FF position that used to be a given event for CSJL is turning into a struggle.

The start of the campaign "20 in 2020" (20 crowns by 2020, the 400th centennial of this very great institution, bar none) should start now. Mahirap maghabol if we start this in 2016 with nil margin for error. Ha ha ha!!!

bugleboy
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Maganda iyang naisip mong "20 by 2020" ha. Hopefully, this catches fire with the athletics head honchos and becomes a battle cry for the Knights.

On another note, our next three games are by no means easy. We battle the resurgent Mapua Cardinals tomorrow, then Perps on Saturday, then San Beda next Saturday. I hope our team has gotten over their collective funk cum telenovela mode and convinced themselves that this is still a season worth saving. Kapit, mga Letranista! Arriba nang Arriba!

knightrider
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Topex Robinson reportedly resigned as SSCR coach to focus daw on his duties as assistant coach in Alaska. Are the Knights performance sub par because Coach Louie is distracted too with his duties in Alaska? Is that why Ronjay Enrile and E-Rod are helping the coaching staff? Bugleboy, you appear to have the inside lowdown on the goings-on in Muralla, maybe you can share some insights on the matter.

razor
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
^ in an interview, Coach Alas mentioned that he actually joined Alaska only last Sunday (PBA draft day); his PBA job cannot be the reason for Letran's struggle in the first round.

bugleboy
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I think Coach Topex merely used his position in Alaska as a convenient excuse. There may be more problems with SSCR than meets the eye. With regard to Coach Louie being distracted, well, it's not as if this is the first time that he has had more than one job. So I'm sure that he knows how to budget his time.

ESCALERA JR.
08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Topex resigned as head coach...Abueva drafted and pro bound come end of Sept. This will surely have an effect on their team chemistry.
Hope it does?:)

bugleboy
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Maiba ako. Eye-popping game so far by the Knights against the Cardinals. First half just ended, 40 - 22. Ironically, Kevin Alas has merely scored 2 points; the Knights have been led so far by Jam Cortes. The rest are also playing inspired ball, probably spurred by the on-court presence of prodigal son Raymund Almazan. Sana tuloy-tuloy na! Arriba!

bugleboy
08-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Knights Fry Cardinals, 72 - 60

The Letran Knights withstood a blistering fightback by the Mapua Cardinals and won 72 - 60, to start second round hostilities of the 88th season of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Kevin Alas hit a crucial trey in the last three minutes of the game and Mark Cruz scored two more points from free throws to douse the fire out of the Mapua rally. Jam Cortes continued his first-half exploits and finished the game with 19 points and 10 rebounds (if I remember right). Other noteworthy contributors were Jonathan Belorio (who did a good job keeping his cool, though still fouled out), Kevin Racal, Junjun Alas, Carlo Lituania, and Raymund Almazan.

There were still a lot of booboos that must have made Coach Louie do face-palms -- like the technical fouls called on Almazan and Racal for delaying the game, and Kevin Alas's errant passes. Still and all, a good comeback game after those annoying blowouts against JRU and San Beda.

knightrider
08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
The Knights played loose and relaxed in the first half, unlike the last game where nearly every move they made was tight, taut and tensed. The mere presence of Alamazan changed the defensive dynamics of the game, for the opposition that is. Again , deja vu and true to form, the Knights relaxed and let up in offense and defense in the second half, which probably gave the coaching staff fits of apoplexy. Medyo rusty pa si Alamzan and a little off in timing, but this game and win puts him back into the groove of the team. I believe Perps will see a different team on Monday, unlike the first one where the Knights played lackadaisically confident and got serious only in the end game, to their chagrin. Arriba!

bugleboy
08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Crucial game today against Perps. If we win this one, this will be a big psychological boost to our boys, considering that it was Perps who started our losing streak. Nationals Heroes' Day ngayon, so all the Letranite heroes in the great beyond (as well as the living alumni, students and fans) will be rooting for our present-day heroes as they battle it out with their foes on the hardcourt. Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Pesta opisyal pala saten ngayon. National Heroes Day... walang pasok sa eskwela, walang pasok sa trabaho. Sana naman mapuno naten ang gallery ng mga estudyante't alumni to honour our departed heroes na karamihan ay nagaral sa paaralang Letran.

Sa mga Dakilang Bayani noon at ngayon.... Arriba!

bugleboy
08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Good start today vs. Perps. Knights are leading, 31-19, after a torrid first quarter that saw Perps score only 2 points. Sana tuloy-tuloy na!

bugleboy
08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Whew! What a game.

The Letran Knights survived a massive meltdown in the third quarter that saw the Perpetual Help Altas catch up and even lead by five by the end of that quarter. Kevin Alas, Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal, Carlo Lituania and Jam Cortes led the Letran fightback in the fourth quarter and were helped along by the sterling efforts of Raymond Almazan, who finished with 15 rebounds and 4 blocks.

I would have to give credit to Perpetual Help, though, for their fighting spirit. Down by 18 points deep in the second quarter, the Altas slowly crept back into the game via the three-point shooting of Vidal and the offensive rebounding and put-backs by Babayemi and Omorogbe. These efforts seemed to stun the Knights, who had to rely on Kevin Alas to get their offensive game back on track. Actually, Kevin's performance was up and down, with misses and booboos galore in the early going. It was a good thing he was able to put it all together in the period where it counted the most.

In the end, the perfect 14-for-14 effort from the line and key possessions down the stretch proved to be the difference for the Knights in this ball game. On to the next game! Never give up, never give in! Arriba!

Boxscores: (from inboundpass.com)

CSJL 62 – Cruz 13, Alas K. 13, Lituania 11, Cortes 10, Racal 8, Almazan 4, Luib 3, Belorio 0, Alas J. 0, Pantin 0.
UPHSD 57 – Vidal 21, Omorogbe 12, Allen 7, Thompson 5, Alano 5, Paulino 5, Babayemi 2, Arboleda 0, Elopre 0, Jolangcob 0.
Quarter Scores: 16-2; 31-19; 42-47; 62-57

knightrider
08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
We're getting there, slowly but surely, if this game is a portent of things to come. Holding Perps to 2 points only in the first quarter is spectacular defense (not to deny also na malas talaga ang mga shots nila). But the 100 % free throw shots (14 out of 14) are not only spectacular but awesome and unbelievable (our free throw shooting is normally atrocious). I just think the many departed national heroes Letran has produced made the rim bigger to help us win this one. If that is the case, thank you and, again help us again come Saturday vs beda. Arriba!!

Sam Miguel
08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
By Mark Giongco

INQUIRER.net

8:55 pm | Monday, August 27th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines – Letran avoided a late-game collapse as it withstood a wild comeback by Perpetual Help 62-57 Monday night in the NCAA Season 88 men’s basketball tournament at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Knights blew an 18-point lead before making the necessary stops to chalk up a crucial win.

“We move just one game behind (in the standings) for the last final four slot,” said Letran head coach Louie Alas.

Jett Vidal sinlge-handedly carried Perpetual Help in the third quarter, where the Altas turned a 12-point deficit to a 47-42 edge entering the final quarter.

Vidal had 16 points in the third period alone, hitting four triples at one stretch, with his last three giving the Altas a 44-40 lead.

But the Knights, who held the Altas to just two points in the first quarter, answered with back-to-back triples to regain the lead and the momentum.

Kevin Alas made his presence felt in the fourth quarter, scoring nine of his 13 points. Alas even made the go-ahead drive, 58-57, with 1:39 left.

Kevin Racal and Jam Cortes went perfect at the line to seal the win. Raymond Almazan also made an impact with 15 rebounds and four blocks.

The Altas botched a chance to move into a tie with San Sebastian and JRU in second place, falling to 7-4.

Sam Miguel
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Good to see Raymond Almazan back in action, and hopefully he stays motivated to keep playing well. His size and length will be critical leading up to the playoff race.

ESCALERA JR.
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
A Win on saturday would open the floodgates of sorts for the Knights...not only will we break the 4year strangelhold of the RL, it will also rekindle the sagging spirits that almost sapped the confidence of the team midway in the 1st round. Just one convincing victory over the Lions is all that is needed. And this is the right time to do it.

We are just striking distance with Perps, only a solitary win separates us. A win would surely boost the teams confidence, and from then on we will be running on high octane going on the next crucial games against the upper tier teams jru and baste. Imagine a confident K.Alas on the groove scoring at will with a rejuvenated Almazan trying to recover lost ground and ably backed up by wide-bodied guys Jam Cortes and Belorio. Saturdays game might be the most important WIN we need to have.

Arriba!

bugleboy
08-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Yup, I agree that if we win this Saturday, it may just prove to be the turning point of the season for us. To our Knights: just get your heads in the game, play through the bum calls, and get this win! Arriba!

P. S. - To the Squires: here's hoping that we avenge that first-round loss. Now that Nambatac is back, we now have the full cast to beat these Cubs. Arriba to you guys as well!

knightrider
09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
We lost, but not as badly as the first game. It was a winnable game for us, but the breaks went against us. There was no implosion here. They never gave up nor gave in. If we make the FF and face this team again in the semis, we have a good chance of winning that series. The fact that we could have won, and the other team failed to dominate us, is a psychological plus factor for the Knights.

bugleboy
09-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I agree. In the end, what we fans want is a team that fights to the bitter end. That was what we saw today, and though we lost, 68-62 to the Red Lions, I'm glad that I saw the effort. Eyes right, boys! Arriba!

(from spin.ph)

By Mei-Lin Lozada

BASER AMER’S two triples helped San Beda College pull away and escape rival Letran 68-62 in the NCAA seniors’ basketball Friday at The Arena in San Juan.

The Knights silenced the defending champions with a 13-to-nothing swing within a three minute stretch capped by a Kevin Alas game tying triple, 45-all, at the 4:05 mark of the third period.

But Amer retaliated and drained back-to-back baskets from beyond the arc, sandwiching a Mark Cruz split freebies, to help San Beda move up by five, 51-46.

The Red Lions widened their advantage to 65-51 after an Anjo Caram basket.

The Knights cut down their deficit to five after an 11-2 run made it 62-67 with 24 seconds left. That run was capped by a Kevin Alas fastbreak layup after he stole the leather from Ryusei Koga.

But that rally came too late and the Lions held on to record their fourth consecutive win.

“There’s no safe lead, mabuti nang muntik matalo kesa ang muntik manalo,” said San Beda coach Ronnie Magsanoc. “Iba na rin ang nakakauna especially since all teams will push going to the Final Four.”

Arthur dela Cruz had 14 points for San Beda, Nigerian import Ola Adeogun added 12, while Rome dela Rosa and Amer both had 11 points.

Amer had eight turnovers but Magsanoc nevertheless let his of his sophomore guard take the ball.

“I trust him (Amer),” said Magsanoc. “I’d rather let him and Anjo (Caram) handle the ball than anyone else.”

Kevin Racal and Alas each finished with 14 markers for the Knights who has an even record of 6-6 (win-loss).

The Scores:

San Beda 68: Dela Cruz 14, Adeogun 12, Dela Rosa 11, Amer 11, Caram 8, Pascual, J. 2, Villaruz 2, Koga 0, Lim 0, Ludovice 0.

Letran 62: Racal 14, Alas, K. 14, Cruz 11, Cortes 10, Alas, J. 6, Luib 3, Almazan 2, Belorio 2, Lituania 0, Gabawan 0.

Quarterscores: 17-21; 43-32; 57-51; 68-62.

bugleboy
09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Finally, a convincing win!

The Letran Knights fashioned a masterful shellacking of the Lyceum Pirates, 76-60, by employing air-tight defense, spirited rebounding and a well-run offense. Starting out like men possessed, the Knights scored 8 unanswered points in the first quarter before LPU was able to score a solitary point. That fiery start defined the game, as Knights merely built on the lead, culminating in a 26-point difference vs. LPU late in the third quarter. The Pirates were able to make up some ground in the fourth quarter through the timely hits by Cayabyab and Shane Ko, but the efforts proved to be too little, too late to overhaul the substantial Letran lead.

Kevin Alas led all scorers with 30 points, including a behind-the-back slashing move that brought the house down. Raymund Almazan had 15 points and 9 rebounds in his worthiest showing so far in Season 88. One could only wonder what would have been, if only Almazan did not disappear for seven games. Oh well.

The win brought Letran's win-loss record to 7-6, still 1 1/2 games off the fourth placers Perpetual and JRU. Mathematically, we still have a good chance to make it to the Final Four, but will have to amass as many wins as possible and hope that either Perpetual or JRU lose at least two more games.

Personally, I think we will make it, but for now, let's just take things one game at a time. Eyes on the prize, boys! Arriba!

(Boxscores from www.inboundpass.com)

CSJL 76 – Alas K. 30, Almazan 15, Cruz 10, Racal 9, Cortes 5, Lituania 2, Gabawan 2, Gabriel 2, Belorio 1, Luib 0.
LPU 60 - Zamora 16, Ko 14, Cayabyab 14, Garcia 2, Laude 2, Edding 2, Martinez 2, Guevarra 2, Mallari 2, Azores 2, Francisco 2, Ambohot 0, Pascual 0,Alanes 0..
Quarter Scores: 17-10, 38-20, 59-36, 76-60

knightrider
09-08-2012, 10:53 PM
The Generals and beda have gifted us today with games that closed the gap between the Knights and the Bombers and the Altas. Let's not miss a step on Monday with our game versus the Blazers. A repeat win on Saturday against the Stags will strengthen our FF crusade.

knightrider
09-08-2012, 11:31 PM
This threading is not related to basketball. Will someone give me the real lowdown on Letran de Davao High School? Is this southern institution part of the Letran Universe of Intramuros, Calamba and Abucay? There is paucity of info in the web and therefore I'm confused. It appears this is run by nuns and not by the Dominican friars. One site shows they have the same logo and insignia as the Letrans of Luzon. Letran.edu does not mention Davao, only the three Luzon colegios. So what is the real score on Letran Davao? Are they true brothers in arms or are they estranged relatives?

bugleboy
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, thanks to EAC and San Beda, our chances for the F4 have just become brighter. However, we still have to win the crucial games especially against SSC and JRU. You're right, knightrider, the road to the F4 begins today -- with a win against our first-round tormentor, the St. Benilde Blazers.

Re Letran de Davao, I'm as much in the dark about this as you. I'm guessing that since the Dominicans are not running them (L de D branches in Tagum and Maco), then they are not part of our network. However, since they sport the same colors, insignias and mascot, then they must have asked permission at least from the friars to use these.

bugleboy
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far in the Letran vs. Benilde game. Halftime: 50 - 34, Letran. Arriba!

bugleboy
09-10-2012, 07:36 PM
End of third: 71 - 51, Letran.

bugleboy
09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Knights Snuff Out Blazers, 97 - 83

The Letran Knights employed stifling defense from the get-go and got 11 turnovers from the College of St. Benilde Blazers in the first quarter alone, setting the tone for what turned out to be a rout, 97 - 83, in the featured NCAA basketball game for today.

Kevin Alas had 14 points in that frenetic first quarter and came away with a season-best 35 points by the end of the game. He also had 4 assists and 2 blocks to underscore what could be described as the best game in his collegiate career . Jam Cortes scored 13, Mark Cruz had 12, and Raymond Almazan 9 points (with 13 rebounds, I think).

The lead could have been greater at the end of the game because early in the fourth quarter, it had already ballooned to 28 points. But Coach Louie Alas, the gentleman that he is, pulled out all the starters and put in third stringers Olotu, Gabriel, Almario, Pantin and Cudal. Benilde went on a frantic scoring binge in the last five minutes to cut it down to 14 at the end.

Great game, guys! Arriba!

The boxscores (from NCAA FB):

Letran (97) -- K. Alas 35, Cortes 13, Cruz 12, Almazan 9, Lituania 7, J. Alas 7, Racal 6, Gabawan 6, Belorio 2, Luib 0, Olotu 0, Pantin 0, Gabriel 0, Almario 0, Cudal 0.

St. Benilde (83) -- Lastimosa 23, Tolentino 10, Taha 9, Deles 9, Romero 8, Altamirano 7, Bartolo 6, Grey 4, Carlos 3, Maconocido 2, Dela Paz 2, Sinco 0, Tan 0, Ongteco 0, Garcia 0.

Quarterscores: 27-18, 50-34, 71-51, 97-83.

knightrider
09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Kevin A is just awesome. He will definitely be a first round pick in the PBA come 2013 if he joins the draft (Alaska kaya???). 35 points is spectacular scoring. The only other Knight I know who scored more was the late Ricky Pineda (of the 1970 Champion team). I think he scored 50 points or more in one of the games at a time when they played continuously 20 minute halves per game unlike the 10 minute quarters today. But that historical fact does not detract from the great individual performance of Kevin Alas, the Grand Knight of this present era. He only needs a championship ring to cement his legacy. Arriba! Let's do a repeat against Baste this Saturday.

knightrider
09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I just got info that Letran de Davao is run by Dominican sisters. So L de D technically in the part of the Letran universe, albeit on the periphery. Whether full blood or partial only, Dugong Arriba din sila!

riou
09-11-2012, 07:18 AM
And we won sir, Arriba!!

bchoter
09-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Nice win. Although Alas dominated the scoring, Cortez, Cruz and Almazan did their share.

Lastimosa is still an eye sore with his ball-hogging ways

knightrider
09-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Lyceum, a member of the Intramuros Consortium gifted us with a tie for fourth spot when they won over the Bombers. This makes the quest for a FF berth a very doable endeavor. A win over Baste is still a must come Saturday. As JRU, our next opponent will not take this loss lying down, could rebound as they did when they gave us a shellacking in the 1st round after being bulldozed by beda. Let's hope our team will not allow a repeat of that. The last two remaining games against Arellano and the Generals also should not be taken lightly. They could throw a monkey wrench in out FF campaign if complacency sets in for the Knights.

bugleboy
09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Knights Roast Stags Anew, 82 - 67

The boys showed a lot of maturity yesterday when they buckled down to work after Kevin Alas was pulled out by Coach Louie in the third quarter after his fourth foul. To tell you frankly, I thought at that point that we were done for. I was pleasantly surprised to see the other Knights step up in Kevin's absence. Ferocious rebounding, tenacious defense and timely hits by Racal, Cruz, Cortes, Lituania and Almazan spelled the difference for us. Now, if only Luib and Belorio would get their confidence and shooting touch back, then we're all set for another stint at the finals.

Next goal, however, is to climb up in the standings so that we meet Baste in the semis. One game at a time. Arriba!

Boxscores (from NCAA FB):

Letran (9-6) def. San Sebastian (11-4), 82-67.

Letran (82) -- K. Alas 23, Racal 18, Cruz 14, Cortes 10, Almazan 7, Lituania 6, Belorio 2, J. Alas 2, Luib 0, Gabriel 0.

San Sebastain (67) -- Abueva 27, Sangalang 15, Miranda 9, Pascual 6, Gusi 4, Dela Cruz 3, Juico 2, Antipuesto 1, Rebollos 0, Binuya 0.

Quarterscores: 17-19, 34-35, 59-57, 82-67.

knightrider
09-16-2012, 09:43 AM
It was a big win for us against the Stags! I saw the game live and I was impressed by the new demeanor of the team - vigorous, intense, with a more profound "never give in, never give up", attitude and awesome teamwork. Their foul throws were pretty decent (kudos to the instructor, whoever he may be) and they kept their cool despite some very physically and hurtful encounters with the tough men of Baste. Belorio was calm all the way despite blows to his face that needed medical attention. To say the least, Belorio took it like a man in the same manner he dishes it out. He is no cry-baby unlike some of the our opponents who goes head to head banging with the Knights but become wimpy cry babies running like scared dogs with tails between their legs when they find the going too tough. Kudos also to Kevin Alas' performance. His maturity has blossomed leaps and bounds, compared to his rookie year when he was trying to get some spotlight off Rey Guevarra and RJ Jazul. Today, this is "his" team. It's also a relief to see K-racs getting into the scoring groove. He is slowly but surely gaining more self confidence to be reliable scoring option. I hope he can replicate the prolific scoring history he had when he played High School ball in Muntinlupa.

I wish Mapua, our other and long time Intramuros rival, will gift us with a win against Perps, their opponent
for tomorrow, like the other fellow member of the Intramuros consortium did when LPU defeated JRU. Such event will establish firmly our footing in the terra firma of the FF. Be that as it may, our FF destiny is in our hands. Let's go for a win this Saturday against the Bombers. Our blow-out loss to them in the first round needs to be rectified with a win this second round. Arriba!

riou
09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Arriba Letran! Keep it up boys!

bugleboy
09-16-2012, 10:51 PM
^^The Cards have what it takes to beat Perps, manpower-wise, despite Perps having imports. It's just a matter of their coach pushing the right buttons. Unfortunately for them, their coach IS their weak link, which is quite the opposite with Perps. Good luck to the Cards, although I'm not holding my breath on this one.

As for the Knights, we have the momentum. And I won't be surprised if we actually contend for the 2nd twice-to-beat advantage. A large part of the transformation is the maturity being shown by the team. They are no longer easily taken off their game by taunts, cheap shots and rough play. Way to go! I guess the CSJL Facebook team said it best: "They have The Beast. We have the best!" Arriba!

bugleboy
09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
BTW, some more stats from the game yesterday (from ncaa.org.ph):

3 pt FG%: Letran, 20% (Kevin, 2/8), Baste, 17% (Pascual, 1/13)
2 pt FG%: Letran, 44%; Baste, 33%
FT%: Letran, 87% (Racal and Cruz, 100%); Baste, 70%
Reb : Letran, 51 (18 offensive); Baste, 60 (31 offensive, Sangalang with 10 off reb)
2nd chance pts: Letran, 13; Baste, 20
Assists: Letran, 11; Baste, 9
Steals: Letran, 7 (Cruz, 3); Baste, 3
Blocks: Letran, 8 (Almazan, 3); Baste, 2
Turnovers: Letran, 11; Baste, 14 (Abueva, 6)
TO pts: Letran, 13; Baste, 7
Fouls: Letran, 24 (K. Alas, 5); Baste, 22

Other notes: Abueva did top-score with 27 points, but took 31 attempts, of which he sank 9 (3/11 3 pts, and 6/20 2 pts). He also made 6 of 8 free throws. In contrast, Kevin Alas scored 23 points and took 16 attempts at the basket, of which he sank 5 (2/8 3 pts, and 3/8 2 pts). He also made 11 of 14 free throws.

Out of the 84 field goal attempts of Baste, 61 (or 72.62%) were attempted by the Pinatubo Trio. Wala lang. Just sayin'.

knightrider
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I wish Mapua, our other and long time Intramuros rival, will gift us with a win against Perps, their opponent
for tomorrow, like the other fellow member of the Intramuros consortium did when LPU defeated JRU. Such event will establish firmly our footing in the terra firma of the FF.

Thank you MIT for making my wish come true. As bugleboy stated, we have an outside chance of getting one of the two "twice to beat" positions. Let's aim for that with a win over the Bombers on Saturday. Arriba!!!

bugleboy
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, I'm glad to have been proven wrong on this one. Thank you, Cardinals! Thank you, Coach Chito, for gifting the Knights with a miracle of a win. Now it's up to our boys to show that they really want this chance to cement their place in the F4. Let's turn the Bombers into hopia on Saturday. :) Eyes on the prize! Arriba!

knightrider
09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Mark Cruz got up on the wrong side of the bed and couldn't get his game going until the 4th quarter with timely assists. He had several good looks at the basket but the ball was just not swishing the nets. Medyo tense at gigil yung squad sa first half kaya nakalamang ang kalaban several times. But they got it right in the third quarter and sped away from the Bombers. They hung tough when JRU got double digit leads to prevent a repeat of the 1st round loss. The game versus AU is another "resbak" game to erase the ignominy of another 1st round loss. But before that, we have to beat the Generals this Saturday. We should not be complacent with our last 2 games, against supposedly weak teams. These two teams have what it takes to win against favored teams.

We should win the two remaining games and hope for a tie for 2nd place with Baste. Since in the NCAA such ties are resolved by playoffs and not by quotient system, we will virtually have a best of 3 games to determine which team will enter the finals. But fate appears to be helping us (with crucial losses suffered by JRU and Perps), a 2nd place finish after the elims is still a definite possibility.

bugleboy
09-23-2012, 11:26 PM
I was on a plane when this game was ongoing, so I never got to see it live. Still, congratulations and Arriba! We have an outside chance to get the twice-to-beat advantage, though this will be partly dependent on whether Baste will lose their remaining games.

Source: http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/letran-rallies-to-trample-jru-takes-solo-third-place

By Mia Rengie Angela Domingo, InterAKTV

Letran avenged its first round loss to Jose Rizal University with a convincing 70-59 victory in NCAA Season 88 action Saturday at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The win gave the Knights third spot in the standings after lifting their win-loss record to 10-6, while the Heavy Bombers fell to fifth place at 9-7.

Letran still has a shot at finishing second, which comes with it a twice-to-beat advantage in the semifinals, if San Sebastian loses its remaining games.

Kevin Alas finished with 17 points, six rebounds, six assists, and six steals, while Jam Cortes added 16 points and 10 rebounds for Letran, which used a furious second-half rally to turn back JRU.

The Heavy Bombers led by 11 points, 32-21, late in the second quarter after a three-pointer by Byron Villarias. JRU used a 9-0 third quarter run for its biggest lead, 45-33, capped by another Villarias three-pointer.

But Letran unleashed a 20-3 stunner behind Kevin Racal, Raymund Almazan, and Jonathan Belorio to give Letran a 53-48 lead to end the third quarter.

Knights coach Louie Alas praised his team’s poise in the face of a deficit.

“Nung pre-game, yun talaga ang ini-instill ko sa kanila, na whatever the situation is, dapat nandun ang poise and patience. Kung wala kami nung pasensya nung third quarter, wala dapat kami dito,” he said.

Almazan, who missed the first meeting between the two teams, was a big factor in the Letran comeback before fouling out in the fourth quarter

“Malaking tulong sa amin si Raymund, and nandun na din kasi ang teamwork namin. Kahit na foul out sya, ang daming nag-fill-in sa gap na naiwan niya,” said Letran team captain Jam Cortes.

Letran hounded JRU star Nate Matute to a single point. Villarias took up the cudgels for the Heavy Bombers, scoring 20 points.

The elder Alas said the team is concentrating on finishing the eliminations campaign strong.

“We just want to thank God for this and sana manalo ulit kami sa Saturday. Kapag dumating naman, dadating yan. We’ll just have to win our remaining games. Even if sabi, one foot is in already for us sa final four pero we still don’t want to talk about it,” he said.

The Scores:

Letran (70) — K. Alas 17, Cortes 16, Racal 14, Belorio 9, Almazan 8, Lituania 6, Cruz 0, Luib 0, J. Alas 0, Gabriel 0.

JRU (59) — Villarias 20, Lopez 14, Dela Paz 10, Mendoza 4, Maconocido 3, Mabulac 2, Salaveria 2, Monserat 2, Porter 1, Matute 1, Camasura 0, Carampil 0.

Quarters: 16-20, 33-36, 53-48, 70-59.

bugleboy
09-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, whaddaya know... our outside chance at a twice-to-beat has become clearer, thanks to JRU's win over Baste yesterday. We have two remaining games -- against EAC and Arellano -- while Perps and Baste also have two left, against each other and against San Beda. JRU only has one left, against EAC. Assuming both Letran and JRU close out the regular season with wins, that will result to Letran at 12-6 and JRU at 11-7. If Perps beats Baste but loses to San Beda, then Perps ends up with 11-7. If Baste then loses to San Beda, then Baste ends up also at 11-7. We get the second slot and Baste, Perps and JRU slug it out for the final two slots.

Of course, there are a lot of ifs here. What is most likely is that both Letran and JRU will close out the season with wins. This is despite the fact that Arellano beat us rather badly in the first round.

The Perps-Baste tiff will be crucial, while San Beda will have to muster all their strength and willpower to beat the two teams (Perps and Baste) that beat them in the first round. What a wild and woolly finish this will turn out to be.

But first things first. The Knights have to take care of business against the Generals on Saturday, then get their revenge against the Chiefs the week after. Eyes on the prize, boys! Arriba!

knightrider
09-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree. Let there be no complacency tomorrow. The Generals will not just roll over and drop dead. They still have a very remote, bordering on the impossible, mathematical chance of making the FF. Knights should go for the jugular from the outset.

ESCALERA JR.
09-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Verrrrrrryyyyyy unlikely to happen, but what if the unthinkable happens!...wherein the boys become very complacent and over-confident we lose our last 2 remaining games!?#%...Huwag na huwag manyari toh at baka tuluyan ng gumuho ang mga pader ng Intramuros!!! Tiyak kagulo sa fb/twitter at batuhan ng sisi.

One win would be enough to get our team to the next round. Letran has the easiest route compared to that of baste and perps where they will try to cancel each other out. The RL are just coasting along at the top waiting who they meet sa f4. As it is, we are in an enviable position as we hold our destiny in our hands unlike Jru na naghihintay na lang ng himala.

Another scenario is a 4 team logjam amongst ssc-csjl-uphr-jru, all tied at 11-7....hay naku hintayin ko na nga lang resulta mamaya.

Para walang problema, tambakan na yan ....go go go letran for the win...Arriba!

bugleboy
09-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Whew. What started out as a rout for the Knights turned into a scrambling win, but a win nonetheless. The Knights beat a hard-fighting EAC crew, 86 - 80, to cement their hold on third, just a half game behind the second-running Stags. As of now, we still have a mathematical chance to crash into the second twice-to-beat spot. Keep your fingers crossed!

(from www.inboundpass.com)

Knights in Solo Third, Defuse Generals

Scorching-hot host Colegio de San Juan de Letran held on tightly at the ropes of the Final Four despite a sloppy payoff period in the 88th season of NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
Jam Cortes, playing his final year with Letran, had 8 of his 25-points in the 2nd half, to help the Knights repulse the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 86-80, on Septber 26, at the Arena in San Juan.
Cortes salvaged the Knights after posting his career-high 24 points along with 14 rebounds and two steals to help his squad strengthen their grip at the third spot with a 11-6 win-loss record.
With the win, the Muralla-based ballers secured at least a playoff for a final four slot and still have a big chance to snatch the twice-to-beat advantage as they are half-game behind San Sebastian College (11-5).
“At least one foot inside,” said by CSJL head coach Louie Alas. “We just have to take care of our business, ayokong ayoko yung nananalangin kami na matalo yung ibang teams.”
After trailing by as big as 26 points, 35-61, the Generals exploded in the third and early fourth quarter to come close within four points, 80-84, after a Jan Jamon basket, but the time was not on their side as they failed to complete a come-from-behind game.
“It’s our fault,” Alas admitted. “Parang nawala yung gutom ng mga bata, parang hindi kami naglaro para manalo.”
“Sabi ko sakanila kung gusto niyo pumasok sa susunod na level dapat maganda yung laro sa end game,” he added.
Letran will face Arellano University for their final elimination game that will determine their chances in making it to the next round.
As of now, only the defending back-to-back champion San Beda College is assured of a semi-finals ticket with a twice-to-beat advantage.
Letran out-rebounded EAC 31-27 and took advantage of the Generals’ mental lapses with 24 turnover points compared to the Knights’ 13.
Individual Scores:
CSJL 86 – Cortes 25, Alas K. 17, Cruz 12, Racal 10, Almazan 10, Belorio 6, Gabawan 4, Lituania 2
EAC 80 – Yaya 20, Tayongtong 15, Happi 12, Morada 9, Jamon 8, Paguia 6, Chiong 4, Monteclaro 4, Pillas 2
Quarter Scores: 27-14, 51-31, 69-56, 86-80
By AJ Bolando

knightrider
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Perps also nearly up-ended beda with a scrambling rally similar to that staged by EAC against the Knights. Perps lost the game because the breaks of the game favored their opponent. Mahirap talaga mag-habol as the margin for error is very slim. The Altas have a good chance against a Baste team that is floundering after Topex quiit the helm.

A win by us against the Chiefs will avoid the logjam that Escalera identified. The Knights' win next Saturday is critical in securing a better place in the FF standing (sure third and a probable second). Besides, we need to avenge our first round loss to Arellano. Also, Coach Alas must end his three game losing streak against Coy Banal started in 2006 against beda and carried through this season's 1st round versus AU.

knightrider
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a strong feeling the Altas will "gift" the Knights with a win against Baste. Let's see if my hunch is right.

bugleboy
10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
The Altas will be fighting for survival today, while the Stags will be gunning for at least a tie for the second twice-to-beat advantage. Definitely, the more compelling reason to go all-out in this game would be the Altas'. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one! Go Perps! :)

knightrider
10-04-2012, 09:21 PM
EAC gave us a better gift. With their win against JRU, CSJL is now firmly entrenched in 3rd. Also, the losses incurred by the Altas and the Bombers mean the possibility of a 4 way tie for 2nd to 4th place is out. As l said, we are now no. 3 in the FF, win or lose this Saturday. But I doubt the Knights will slacken their pace as a win against AU may result in a tie for 2nd if beda beats Baste on Monday, and also end the 3 game NCAA losing streak of Coach Louie against Koy Banal (beda and AU combined). Again, thank you EAC Generals! Your school's namesake is a Letran alumnus and a leading Pinoy national hero of the revolution of 1896 and the Philippines' 1st president of the 1898 Philippine Republic.

bugleboy
10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Great win by the Knights over the Chiefs to end the eliminations at 12-6! Now, we will wait for the results of the Stags vs. Red Lions on Monday to find out if we will still contend for no. 2 or stay at no. 3. Arriba!

knightrider
10-06-2012, 09:11 PM
They got the job done! 'Nuff said.

knightrider
10-08-2012, 09:12 PM
BASTE spells BEAST! Will somebody tell this guy this is the NCAA and not the PBA! Awesome performance by the Beast! He is playing relaxed, with his place in the professional league secured. That means no more pressure in the NCAA, and that translates to increased stamina, speed, ans power. Clearly evident in this game and surely their succeeding games. Unless the Knights can stop him and his cohorts, they're on their way to another NCAA crown. We need to do a yeoman's job to defeat this team in the FF.

bugleboy
10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, it looked like The Beast vs. The Walking Dead back there. The Stags took turns punching holes in the Bedan defense while the Lions just stood idly by. Then Magsanoc pulled out Adeogun just when he was heating up -- replaced by Pascual who got eaten up by Sangalang, Maiquez and Abueva. Hayzzz.

What was very apparent, though, was that the Bedans do not have a stone shooter in the mold of a Garvo Lanete. They also do not have a real leader like Borgie Hermida was. The Stags took the best blows the Lions could give, then gave back hay-makers in return. That was when the Lions turned into the Walking Dead.

Anyway, whether or not SSC won yesterday, the Knights would still have to beat the Stags twice. So let's do this! Arriba Letran!

bugleboy
10-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Wala lang. Pampagana. :) (From ncaa.org.ph)

Ronald Pascual ejected against San Beda, will miss Final Four clash versus Letran

Source: http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ronald-pascual-ejected-against-san-beda-will-miss-final-four-clash-versus-letran

By Mia Rengie Angela Domingo, InterAKTV

San Sebastian will miss one of their key pieces, gunner Ronald Pascual, in their semifinal match against Letran this Saturday, October 13, after he was called for a disqualifying foul in their second-round game against the San Beda Red Lions.

For this game, at least, it didn’t seem to bother the Stags too much as they won, 69-55, to clinch the second spot and a twice-to-beat advantage in the final four.

Pascual, one of the top three scorers for San Sebastian, was ejected at the 5:54 mark of the first period of their final game in the elimination round after the referee deemed that he threw a closed fist at San Beda’s Rome Dela Rosa.

“Box out play eh, naka-cross na ganyan ang arms ko sa may body with closed fist talaga,” Pascual explained. “Pero akala ng referee, nung nanggaling yung isang arm ko sa may bandang likod paharap, sumuntok ako.”

“Unfair yung tawag, ganoon talaga kami ni Rome pag sa match-up, i-bo-box out ko siya for the loose ball.”

Pascual reportedly shed some tears due to his frustrations about the early ejection but he dismissed the report.

“Hindi, hindi naman ako umiyak. Nakakalungkot lang dahil gusto ko talaga maglaro, at dahil wala na akong magawa, chi-ni-cheer ko na lang sila.”

“Ang dami din namin turnovers nung game. Gigil na ako nun dahil gusto ko talaga tumulong. Nung halftime, kinausap ko si Calvin (Abueva), sabi ko, siya nalang naiwan na titira talaga doon dahil takot tumira masyado sila (Michael) Juico at Jovit (Dela Cruz).”

With Pascual out for their first playoff game, the Stags will have their hands full against the Knights, a team they’ve failed to defeat in two meetings in the elimination round this season.

bugleboy
10-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Isa pang pampagana. Underdogs daw tayo. :) "I wanna win this ball game! Let's go!"

http://sports.inquirer.net/66138/ncaa-final-4-on-lions-stags-go-for-kill

NCAA Final 4 on: Lions, Stags go for kill
By Cedelf P. Tupas
1:51 am | Saturday, October 13th, 2012

IF THE elimination-round battles involving the protagonists are any indication of how the matchups in the NCAA Final Four will turn out, then the semifinals would need one more playdate.
Just don’t tell that to top seeds San Beda and San Sebastian.
Favored to advance because of their twice-to-beat advantage, the Red Lions and the Stags hope to finish off their respective Final Four foes today at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.
San Beda sees a difficult foe in Perpetual Help in the opening game at 4 p.m., before San Sebastian tangles with Letran—a team that swept the Stags in the elimination-round.
Victories by San Beda and San Sebastian will forge a Lions-Stags finals for the fourth straight season. The rubber matches, if necessary, are slated Monday.
The Lions and Altas split their season series with Perpetual Help pulling off an 88-87 overtime win in the first round, before San Beda exacted revenge with a 60-53 victory.
But while San Beda has the luxury of a five-day break before the Final Four, Perpetual Help will go into the game on a day’s rest as it needed to repulse Jose Rizal U, 73-68, in a playoff for the last semifinal berth.
The Altas are in unfamiliar ground as well since they have not been to the postseason since 2004. Except perhaps for coach Aric del Rosario, who has won titles in the UAAP, the Altas hardly tasted high-stakes playoff basketball until the JRU rubber match.
Still, San Beda rookie coach Ronnie Magsanoc expects a difficult time for his Lions, who finished the elimination round with a dominant 16-2 record.
“We are looking to match the intensity and aggressiveness of the Altas,” Magsanoc said. “We have to … impose our defensive mindset against their high-octane offense.”
Judging from their two earlier meetings, the Stags would certainly need their edge against the Knights.
The Knights opened the season with an 80-74 trouncing of the Stags, before repeating the feat with an 82-67 drubbing in their second-round meeting.
The matchup features two of the most explosive scorers in college basketball in San Sebastian’s Calvin Abueva and Letran’s Kevin Alas. Another interesting matchup features giants Ian Sangalang of San Sebastian and Raymond Almazan of Letran.
The Stags will miss Ronald Pascual, who is serving a one-game suspension for his disqualifying foul against San Beda. But San Sebastian has shown it can handle business without Pascual, beating the Lions behind Abueva and Dexter Maiquez.
Letran coach Louie Alas is confident his Knights can beat the Stags for a third time this season. “It will be a tough task but it’s doable,” said Alas.

bugleboy
10-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Knights Massacre Stags, 92-74

The Letran Knights led from beginning to end to hand the San Sebastian Stags their worst beating this NCAA 75. Kevin Alas got away with 43 points, ten of them from uncontested treys, while Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal added 20 and 10, respectively. Aside from Kevin, Jonathan Belorio, Carlo Lituania and Mark Cruz joined the three-point parade, effectively blowing the Stags' defense to smithereens.

A spate of strange calls and the Stags' inevitable fightback, starring Calvin Abueva, caused the lead to go down to 12 early in the fourth quarter, only for their rally to fall short because of timely hits by Alas and Cruz. Actually, Kevin had to sit down for the majority of the third quarter because of four fouls. He had to be substituted back in because of the Stags' rally, which he dutifully doused. Kevin was actually so hot that at one point in the game, he had more points on the board than the entire Stags team.

The game was physical all throughout, with one player from each team being thrown out -- Junjun Alas for the Knights and AJ Vitug for the Stags. The Stags tried all manner of dirty tricks in the book to goad the Knights into retaliating -- from a Maiquez trip on Mark Cruz, to a Juico elbow on Belorio to an Abueva kick to Belorio's groin during a rebound struggle. Thank God for the power of technology, these transgressions were clearly seen on the replays so that there could be no reason for any doubt.

As of now, the Knights have won three straight over the Stags this season. One more win and they make to the finals vs. the Red Lions. One more loss, however, and the Stags will make it, rendering all those three wins to naught.

Coach Louie said it right, then. We have to forget all those wins because if we lose on Monday to this Stags team, then our season is over.

Of course, with this smashing victory, this surely will give the Stags pause. The Knights have every reason to be confident. We know we can smoke these fools, notwithstanding the shenanigans that they will do within the game. They, on the other hand, will have to start from zero. They do not know what our game plan is on Monday, we know theirs. Their style of play hasn't changed for the past years. So, if they're going to do more of the same, then we all know how this will end on Monday.

Bangas basketball ba, 'ika niyo? Itong sa inyo! Here's to an exciting ball game on Monday. May the better team win.

The box scores (from http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/10/13/kevin-alas-43-extends-knights-streak-over-golden-stags-to-3-games-their-chances/):

CSJL (92) — K. Alas 43, Cruz 20, Racal 10, Lituanio 8, Belorio 4, Gabawan 4, Cortes 3, Almazan 0, J. Alas 0, Luib 0, Pantin 0.

SSC-R (74) — Abueva 21, Sangalang 13, Juico 10, Dela Cruz 8, Rebollos 6, Miranda 6, Maiquez 5, Gusi 3, Vitug 2, Antipuesto 0, Binuya 0, Dones 0.

Quarterscores: 27-7, 46-28, 69-48, 92-74.

knightrider
10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
It was great to see Belorio and Cortes, the usual hotheads, controlling their temper despite the physical goading of the Stags, a tactic the Knights resort to occasionally to break down the rhythm of the opposing teams. But for the love of me, what's the rationale, for employing such tactic when it is already a won game. Junjun's disqualifying foul in the last few minutes of the game shows humongous immaturity. Though he is third tier in the Knights' big man rotation, he contributes significantly with his heft. Sayang if he sits out the game tomorrow. Alamzan had a lot of touches under the basket, but he has a penchant for shooting the ball even before he has a grip on the spheroid. I hope Big Mac can do something about that.

We are on the verge of a historic battle with beda to determine the winingest team in the NCAA. It will be a battle royale but we must defeat the stags tomorrow for that to happen.

The team is still peaking and that is what makes this team "new" and dangerous.

Arriba!

bugleboy
10-14-2012, 11:25 AM
knightrider, I agree with your observations re Junjun and Almazan. I thought Almazan yesterday was too tight (as in, masyadong gigil). He was trying all sorts of weird shots near the basket that had no hope of going in. But he did contribute also in terms of rebounding, ball taps, and blocked and altered shots. Puwede na rin iyon.

Junjun, on the other hand, is another case altogether. I don't know what he was thinking about, since that disqualifying foul was utterly useless. SSCR could have used that as a rallying point. It was good that they kept missing their free throws and their TF shots, and muffing their field goal chances. We gave them lots of chances to catch up; they just did not capitalize on any of them.

Having said that, I think SSCR is too good a team to just roll over and die on Monday. They will come back, and come back hard. Our boys should be ready and keep their heads in the game, as Cortes and Belorio (for the most part) did in this game. Come to think of it, maybe it's better that Junjun will not be playing on Monday. This is difficult to admit, but at least, we have one less loose cannon to think about.

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2012, 03:36 PM
THis is it! The Mother of all games for the LetranKnights in the 88th season. We have to win this one in order to have a shot at college Hoops immortality. Not only are we gunning for the 17th crown, we are also trying to block the rampaging RL who has been clinging and breathing down our necks as the winningest ballclub the last 7 seasons. Lose tonite' game, we'll let go of that golden opportunity.

Kaya there's no tomorrow - lose and we go home! WIN...and WIN we must. All 3 wins against the Stags will go for naught if we lose this one very important game.

Anyone of you...knightrider or bugleboy going to see the games live...or even just on tv?. kung pwede sana pa update ng scores as im here downunder...Lintek na coverage yan, wala naman livestream unlike the previous years. Torture sa mga wala sa manila ang late sa balita.

Tuloy tuloy na sana ito!!!...Arriba lang ng arriba! gogo letrannn! Shoooot dat ball Kevin Alas!..tira ng tira sa tres. at si junjun wag muna palaruin.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
No problem, Escalera Jr. I will be able to do some updates later.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
SSC 2 - 0 Letran. Abueva starting strong. Letran with turnover right away. SSC with 5 off rebs but no basket.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
3 points by Kevin!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Gigil ang Stags. Nakaw play by Abueva. SSC 4, Letran 3.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Belorio 3! Letran 6, SSC 4

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Kevin 3! Letran 9, SSC 4

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Mark Cruz fouled. Free throws. He makes both. Letran 11, SSC 4

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Belorio sends Abueva's drive to kingdom come! :) Another block by Belorio on Dela Cruz. But Abueva is fouled. Makes two. Letran 11, SSC 6.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Gusi scores three. Letran 11, SSC 9. Kevin gets second offensive foul. :(

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Oops, Letran 11, SSC 10 pala. Abueva scores another three. SSC 13, Letran 11. Kevin misses trey try. Belorio fouls Abueva again. Beast sinks both. SSC 15, Letran 11.

Almazan is fouled. Sinks both. SSC 15, Letran 13. Technical foul on Pascual. :)

Kevin sinks both shots. Tied at 15

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Mark Cruz fouled by Gusi. Sinks both. Letran 17, SSC 15.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Beast misses. But Pascual intercepts Letran ball. Sangalang offensive foul :)

Almazan sinks both free throws. Letran 19, SSC 15.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Cruz for two! Letran 21, SSC 15. Letran on 10-0 tear.

Juico fouled. Sinks two. Letran 21, SSC 17.

Nanahod si Beast kay Almazan -- foul! Almazan sinks one. Letran 22, SSC 17. I think that was our first miss from the line.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Now Almazan fouls Sangalang. He sinks both. Letran 22, SSC 19.

Baste scores on breakaway. Letran 22, SSC 21.

Kevin fouled. Sinks one. Letran 24, SSC 21.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Almazan making a living from the free-throw line. Letran 25, SSC 21.
Abueva fishes for a foul from Almazan. Three fouls na si Almazan, first quarter pa lang. Beast misses first, makes the other. Letran 25, SSC 22.

End of 1st quarter.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Gusi steals off Lituania, easy layup. Letran 25, SSC 24.

Gabawan layup! Letran 27, SSC 24. But Juico answer with a three. Tied at 27.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Two misses by Stags at close range. Lituania gets fouled. Makes both. Letran 29, SSC 27.

Maiquez misses. But Gabawan turns over the ball at the other end.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Beast point-blank shot. Tied at 29.

Up and down basketball. Turnovers galore.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Good grief! Abueva with three from the parking lot. Letran 29, SSC 32.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Mark Cruz answers with a two. Letran 31, SSC 32.

Gusi makes another three. Letran 31, SSC 35.

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Ang galing! ...by 3's ang bilang naten!arribaribba, andale !

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Racal on kamikaze drive, but unproductive. Almazan with interception. Kevin Alas fouled. Sinks both. Letran 33, SSC 35.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Kevin makes 2 FTs. But Dela Cruz pads Stags' lead, 37-33.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Letran miss, good pass to leak-out by Baste, 39-33. But Kevin is fouled. Makes one. Letran 34, SSC 39.

Yikes. Another foul by Almazan.

Come on, Racal and Cortes! Time to step up!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:00 PM
We are getting killed in the rebounding battle. SSC now with a 7-point lead. But Cruz cuts it down to 5, 36-41 still in favor of Baste.

Belorio long two! Letran 38, SSC 41. Belorio foul, though.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Pascual hits his first three. Grrr.... SSC 44, Letran 38.

Good show by Sangalang; Cruz loses ball to baseline. Focus, guys!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Beast misses. Racal hits two at the buzzer. SSC 44, Letran 40. End of second quarter.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Start of third. Turnover kaagad ang Baste. Great drive by Racal! SSC 44, Letran 42.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Bad miss by Beast. Ganda na sana ng drive ni Cruz, but was blocked. Kevin with three after a scramble for the rebound. Letran now ahead, 45 - 44.

Another two by Racal, 47-44. Baste timeout. :)

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Almazan gets fourth foul! Belorio in.

Supalpal si Abueva ni Belorio!

Unproductive thrusts by both teams. Rebound by Belorio off a bad Abueva miss.

Cortes is blocked, but Pascual muffs pass. :)

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Kevin with a miss from three. Cruz fouls Gusi.

Good tap by Cortes to Belorio. Juico fouls Kevin.

Up and down basketball again, until Pascual scores three. Tied at 47.

Beast scores 2. Then Letran gives up another turnover. Focus!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Kevin gets another offensive foul! Paano naman offensive foul iyon e gumagalaw si Abueva?!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Lituania drive, blocked by Sangalang. Good idea, though.

Belorio hits three! Letran 50, SSC 49.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Offensive foul by Pascual. Belorio assist to Gabawan -- scores, 52-49.

Abueva fouled; he makes two, 52-51, Letran still ahead.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Dela Cruz fouled during a rebound scramble. He makes two. SSC now ahead, 53-52. But Lituania takes it back with a drive, 54-53.

But Cruz fouls Sangalang. And-one opportunity... He makes the extra basket. SSC now ahead, 56-54.

End of third quarter. Good show, considering that K. Alas and Almazan were on the bench, nursing their fouls.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Start of fourth. Coach Louie gambling with Kevin and Almazan in the lineup. Hope this works.

Near-steal by Racal. 24-second violation by Baste off a bad miss by the Beast.

Steal by Gusi off Cruz. Scores on breakaway. Turnover again by Letran. Counter-turnover by Baste. SSC 58, Letran 54.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Cortes misses hook shot off a good pass. Racal scores off a breakaway though after an Alas rebound and assist. Letran 56, SSC 58.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Mad exchange. Dela Cruz scores, Cortes gets blocked on the other end, but Beast turns ball over. Cruz with three! Letran 59, SSC 60

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Almazan is fouled going up, foul on Juico! TF on him, too! Graduate na! So Letran will get 4 free throws + ball possession. Ayos!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Almazan makes one of two. Cruz makes one of two tech free throws. Letran by 1.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Kevin scores on spectacular drive -- is fouled! And-one opportunity, but he misses. Letran by 3 -- 63-60.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Almazan blocks the Beast! Almazan with a rebound off a bad Beast miss. Beast fouls Cortes. Cruz with open two. Letran 65, SSC 60.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Sangalang misses with Almazan in his face. Cortes saves the ball from going out but muffs try. He fouls Beast at the other end.

Yikes. Almazan fouls out. Beast makes two. Letran 65, SSC 62.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Belorio misses, rebound by Baste. Sangalang good stab. Kevin misses, then fouls Maiquez. Letran 65, SSC 66.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Bad layup by Kevin. Rebound to Baste. Bad miss also by Baste. Cruz knocks in two, Letran 67, SSC 66.

Abueva with wild shot. Ituloy mo lang iyan, Tatang. :)

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Belorio gets a steal! Mark Cruz gets fouled by Gusi. Two free throws by Cruz... makes both! Letran 69, SSC 66.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Sangalang scores, Letran still up by one, 69-68. Sayang, Belorio with a great block in the previous play, but our boys weren't able to score at our end.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Foul by Beast on Kevin. Kevin with two free throws... he misses the first! Grrrr.... Misses the second! Rebound to Baste!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Maiquez with short stab to give lead back to Baste, 70-69.

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Bad misses at our end by Kevin. Racal fouls Beast. He misses the first! He misses the second!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Belorio is fouled by Maiquez during the rebound scramble. Free throws... he makes one. He makes two! Letran ahead by 1!

23.9 seconds remaining. Baste ball. Kapit!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Cortes with the rebound! He is fouled by Pascual! Two free throws by Cortes... makes one! Makes two! Letran by 3!

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Letran wins! We are back in the finals! ARRIBA LETRAN!!!

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Ano na????

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Ano na nanyayare????

bugleboy
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Panalo ang Letran, paps. 73-70. We are back in the NCAA finals.

ESCALERA JR.
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeheeeeyyyy...!torture toh w just relying on updates, but all worth it.

Now on to tnhe FINALS... i guess we found unlikely heroes in belorio and cortes making those free throws. Same w Cruz w his timely hits. Thats basing from what i read on the play by play updates. Thanks bugleboy,..pasensya kung na naistorbo ko panonood mo ng live.
Make me wanna come home for a quick short vacation next week. Hay, salamat... ARRIBA LETRAN!

knightrider
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I was at the venue. Nothing compares to watching a game live devoid of the distraction of the comments made by the sportscasters. That being said, the blow by blow update provided by bugleboy on this thread for those who were not at the venue or were able to watch it aired over the TV is a blessing indeed. Thanks bugleboy!

The CSJL side was almost filled to the rafters, with young and old Letranites. Somehow, I felt like the latter as the younger Knights and students deferred to me when I lined up to buy a ticket. Some even called me "sir". Hey, I'm not that old. Dalawang paligo lang ang lamang ko sa kanila.

The school pride and spirit were so evident and so "thick" you can almost slice it even with a thick knife. Kevin Alas was tightly guarded and did not have the open looks he had in the 1st game. He was double teamed at times which left the other like Belorio, Racal and Cruz with clear shots that went in. The spring in Cortes and Belorio's legs increased ten fold as they were jumping like ninjas for the rebounds. Alamzan was steadier this time under the basket.

It seems that a previous comment by 1998 CSJL Champion team coach Binky Favis is correct. This team is peaking at the right time. Also, this team is more cohesive, stronger, with more scoring options inside and out the shaded lane and a better match-up to beda, compared to the 2007 CSJL team that reached the Finals in 2007. But more importantly, this CSJL team is hungrier, and that could be the edge to bring them the victory!

Arriba!

bugleboy
10-16-2012, 08:23 AM
You're welcome, knightrider. BTW, ang sarap magbasa ng diyaryo ngayong umaga, ano? :)

Knights oust Stags, forge duel vs Lions
By Cedelf P. Tupas
10:44 pm | Monday, October 15th, 2012

Pint-sized guard Mark Cruz stood tallest in the final period as Letran edged San Sebastian, 73-70, at Filoil Flying V Arena last night to reach the NCAA basketball finals for the first time in five years.

The smallest player on the floor at 5-foot-7, Cruz drilled in 10 of his 20 points in the last period as the Knights overcame the Stags’ twice-to-beat edge to earn the right to face the defending champion San Beda Lions in the finals.

Game 1 of the best-of-three finals between two of the NCAA’s winningest teams is slated Thursday at Mall of Asia Arena.
Cruz hit the biggest shots, none bigger than his jumper with 1:52 left that gave the Knights a 69-66 cushion.

Ian Sangalang struck for the Stags, who even went ahead through Dexter Maiquez, but the Knights made key defensive stops before Jonathan Belorio and Jam Cortes hit four free throws to ice the game.

The Knights’ win completed a four-game sweep of the Stags this season. This one, however, had so much at stake and Letran coach Louie Alas still felt his team needed to double its effort to repeat their last three victories.

“It came down on their willingness to win,” said Alas. “There was no more need for Xs and Os. In this game, I was more of a cheerleader than the coach.”

Coming off a 43-point explosion in the series opener last Saturday, Kevin Alas cooled off with 18 points. But his layup with 6:15 remaining was part of the quick burst from the Knights that allowed Letran to regain the lead.

The scores:
LETRAN 73—Cruz 20, Alas 18, Belorio 10, Racal 8, Almazan 7, Lituania 4, Gabawan 4, Cortes 2, Luib 0.

SAN SEBASTIAN 70—Abueva 22, Sangalang 15, Gusi 10, Juico 7, Dela Cruz 6, Pascual 6, Maiquez 4, Miranda 0, Antipuesto 0.

Quarters: 25-22, 44-40, 56-54, 73-70

Some other excerpts from Inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/10/15/letran-will-face-san-beda-in-the-ncaa-finals/)

Mark Cruz had 20 points, with 10 in the payoff period, including 3 rebounds and 2 assists, while skipper Kevin Alas and Jonathan Belorio added 18 and 10 points respectively to help Letran set another best-of-three finals series repeat of Season 83, against defending NCAA champions – the San Beda Red Lions.

Playing in his final year, Jam Cortes only had 2 points, but crucial points that mattered most.

“It’s all about your willingness to compete,” said head coach Louie Alas who had swept San Sebastian in all 4 encounter – two in the eliminations round then two in the semis.

After Belorio nailed two charities that gave them the lead, 71-70, with 23.9 seconds left, the Golden Stags called a timeout and designed a play for shooter Ronald Pascual who failed to convert on his three point attempt.

Cortes grabbed his 12th rebound with 9.2 seconds remaining that eventually forced Dexter Maiquez to give up a personal foul.
“Masaya na kami na nanalo kami, pero hindi pa kami tapos, hindi pa namin nari-reach yung goal namin na makuha yung championship.” Alas added, who made it to the finals for the first time since 2007.

Meanwhile, San Sebastian had a chance to seal the game but Abueva missed two free throws that could’ve increased their lead to three, 69-70, before Belorio converted both his charities with 24.6 seconds left.

“Pagod talaga ako, sobrang sakit ng katawan ko kaya hindi ko na namalayan na ang lalakas pala ng tira ko,” uttered by last year’s MVP Abueva.

It was just not the year for Abueva who played his last game in the league with 22 points and 21 boards.
After a suspension that prevent him from getting any individual award including his second MVP. “Masakit, pero kailangan tanggapin,” Abueva said in dismay.

Soon to be named MVP Ian Sangalang finished with 15 points and 3 rebounds, while another part of the trio, Ronald Pascual chipped in only 6 markers.

“Sobrang hirap and masakit, first time namin hindi makapasok sa finals, parang ayaw mo na pumunta dun para kunin yung award,” Sangalang said referring to the awarding that will be held before the game two of the Finals.

dark_blue
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Letran vs Baste (Oct 15, 2012) - last 2 mins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gYC9Cm7GE

dark_blue
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Letran vs Baste game 2 - dying seconds (AKTV telecast, poor reception nga lang hehe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxHM6iu-CzI

bugleboy
10-18-2012, 09:12 AM
^Thanks for that, dark_blue. Pampagana, indeed!

Anyway, back to the championship series. It's ironic that though both Letran and San Beda have the most number of NCAA basketball crowns at 16 each, they have met in the championship of this 88-year-old league only twice before -- in 1950, when Mumar's Knights defeated Loyzaga's Red Lions, and in 2007, when the Ekwe-led Lions defeated the Jazul and the Knights twice to take the crown.

This means that as one school rose in basketball prominence, the other languished in obscurity. This is one of those rare occasions when both schools' basketball fortunes are at their peak.

The papers have made a lot of comments about the 14-game losing streak of Letran to the Lions (since 2007). Well, they can hype that all they want. As for me, what I can remember is the 8-1 record of the Knights in the second round, plus the two-game sweep of the Stags. That, on the back of a so-so showing in the first round, when the Knights were in eighth place at one time.

I don't know about you, but to me, this turn of events looks eerily like what happened to the Knights of 1999, or the Blue Eagles of 2002.

As Coach Louie said in today's edition of Philstar.com: “We’ve been through a lot and defied the odds. Who would have thought after we went 4-5 (win-loss) we still managed to end up in the Final Four and now in the finals. That’s probably destiny, we’ll see.”

Dynasty or destiny?

Take your pick. Game on! Arriba!

Sam Miguel
10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I take a contrarian view of Louie Alas saying that Letran's biggest problem is Ola Adeogun. He may be San Beda's biggest player but he is not the biggest problem. Letran's biggest problem is the guard tandem of Anjoe Caram and Baser Amer. Those are the guys who normally get the ball to Adeogun with entry passes into the low post, or on the drive-draw. Adeogun cannot really create his own offense, so the guard play is crucial to getting him incolved. If Letran can jam the perimeter, the driving lanes and the passing angles then half the battle is already won. This is where Mark Cruz, Kevin Racal and Kevin Alas will be tested more. Their offense is first-rate, but their defense has to be up to snuff in a championship series. If the Letran perimeter is not up this defensive task Adeogun will have a career game and at least half of the Letran frontline will foul out as San Beda takes Game 1 by at least 14 points.

LION
10-18-2012, 10:52 PM
This is my first post after the classic and tough game 1. And I went here first to give respect to the Letran Knights. Be proud. You fought hard in this game. Hold your heads up high. Your team indeed deserves the title KNIGHTS.

See you in game 2.

bugleboy
10-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words, LION. I wasn't able to watch the game, but from all indications, it was certainly hard-fought. I had been on pins and needles throughout the day because I was handling a workshop and had no time to check on the progress of the game. I had hoped for a different result, but alas, those were the breaks. Sa uulitin! :)

knightrider
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM
I wasn't greatly disappointed by the loss for it was a close game and the Knights showed they can beat this team. I'm just unhappy at the offensive snafu at the end game. With beda in foul trouble, the Knights could have fished for a foul, or taken a two point shot, or a 3 for a win.

I had a deja-vuish feel after the game, the same one I felt after our first game loss to the Espinas-Belga-Jason Castro led PCU in the 2005 finals, where we eventually won the crown. I'm upbeat for we have what it takes to win the next game as beda's import is not as dominating as Ekwe was during the 2007 finals. The mission is win the next game, and that is very doable. Arriba LETRAN, sin duda el colegio excelente!!!

bugleboy
10-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Roll the score... Way up!

The Letran Knights scored a masterful win today over the San Beda Red Lions, 64-55, to take Game 2 of the NCAA championship series. In taking this win, the Knights snapped the oft-mentioned losing streak to the Red Lions dating back to 2007. More importantly, the Knights have pulled even in this series, and are just one win away from annexing that historic 17th crown.

Jonathan Belorio was brilliant all game long, sinking long toms, fighting for rebounds, and defending against Ola Adeogun. Kevin Racal concentrated on defense this time and shackled Baser Amer. Mark Cruz, Jam Cortes and Kevin Alas put in the needed baskets in the final quarter to put this game away. On the whole, a great statement game played by the Knights. They had been doubted by the press, their opponents, and the NCAA community at large but this day, they really epitomized their ringing motto: "Never give up! Never give in!"

Arriba Letran! Let's win it all on Thursday!

The box scores: (from NCAA FB)

Letran (64) -- Belorio 15, Cruz 12, Lituania 11, K. Alas 10, Cortes 10, Racal 2, Alamzan 2, J. Alas 2, Luib 0.

San Beda (55) -- Adeogun 12, Caram 9, Amer 9, K. Pascual 9, J. Pascual 6, Dela Rosa 4, Dela Cruz 4, Koga 2, Lim 0, Mendoza 0.

Quarters: 18-14, 37-28, 41-43, 64-55.

bugleboy
10-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I forgot give due recognition to Carlo Lituania. This guy stepped up big in the second quarter, and keyed the Letran breakaway that led to the 37-28 halftime lead. Arriba to you, sir!

knightrider
10-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I relied on prayer power today. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers. Thank you San Juan Bautista, thank you San Pedro Calungsod, thank you St. Bede for the intercessions for this win. Prayer works! Amen.

Joescoundrel
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Incredible defense in the fourth period, especially Jon Belorio on Ola Adeogun. Kudos also to Jam Cortes for controlling the defensive boards, and to Carlo Lituania for the clutch shooting.

ESCALERA JR.
10-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I relied on prayer power today. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers. Thank you San Juan Bautista, thank you San Pedro Calungsod, thank you St. Bede for the intercessions for this win. Prayer works! Amen. Lol...Knightrider, pati si St Bede dinasalan mo rin...at sinagot naman ang panalangin!

OK KNiGHTS of LETRAN, THIS IS IT. Lets get this one on thursday(or is it Friday)

We have finally broken the stanglehold of 15 successive loses, now its time to breakaway with another WIN to clinch our 17th Crown jewel. Tuloy tuloy na ito...walang Bibitaw. Sama sama tayo sa tagumpay...Derecho LETRAN...ARRIBA LETRAN!

riou
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Game 3 on friday let's take our 17th crown!

bugleboy
10-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Oops, a bit of trouble brewing... What do you guys think of this?

Alas Faces One-Game Ban
By KRISTEL SATUMBAGA
October 21, 2012, 8:54pm

Letran coach Louie Alas is facing a possible one-game suspension if he will not apologize for his alleged “slit-throat” gesture on NCAA technical committee official Romy Guevarra following the team’s tense-filled 65-55 win over San Beda College in Game 2 of their title series in the 88th NCAA Finals Saturday night at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

This was the warning raised by NCAA Commissioner Joe Lipa yesterday, a development that only heightens the drama of the best-of-three title series of the oldest collegiate league in the country.

If Alas won’t apologize, Lipa said he will elevate the case to the Management Committee and recommend for his suspension.

If suspended, the Knights will be without a coach when the clash the Red Lions in the winner-take-all match.

Guevarra, a former PBA official, was so incensed with Alas’ alleged gesture he tried to confront the Letran coach. Letran is this year’s host.

Alas, however, defended his action, saying one of members of the technical group – he did not identify whether it was Guevarra – gave him a dirty sign.

“I don't know. He gave me a dirty finger. Nakita nyo naman kung sino yon,” Alas fumed.

Alas also labelled Guevarra’s confrontational move as “uncalled for”.

The action could have ended into a fistfight if not for the cooler heads. Lipa also said he will talk to Guevarra regarding the issue.

Alas cannot be reached for comment at presstime.

Fr. Vic Calvo of Letran already inhibited himself from making a decision if matters reach the Management Committee, saying it’s just logical to pass the chairmanship since Letran is involved in the issue College of St. Benilde’s Henry Atayde is supposed to take the chairmanship but since he’s out of the country, he will be represented by Dax Castellano of La Salle Greenhills.

Meanwhile, Alas knows it takes more than one player to beat a strong and disciplined team as San Beda.

"Overall, it's all about team work," said Alas in his third Finals appearance with the Knights. "Hindi ka mananalo sa San Beda na isa lang magii-step up sa team mo. Kailangan lima ang maglalaro ng consistent sa court."

True enough, almost everyone contributed a little of everything in Letran's win that forced a winner-take-all match either Wednesday or Friday.

The Red Lions, gunning for a three-peat and 17th overall – just like the Knights – won Game 1, 62-60.

Jonathan Belorio and Jam Cortes sizzled with double-double efforts, Mark Cruz poured seven of his 12 points in the first half, and Carlo Lituania, and Kevin Alas finished in twin figures for the hungry Knights, who seek to end their seven-year title drought.

Even San Beda coach Ronnie Magsanoc has to give credit to Letran's overall effort on both ends.

"Mabigat si Lituania and Belorio. I think Lituania gave them a very huge game and Belorio played exceptional all throughout. We were able to stop Kevin Alas, but Mark Cruz exploded right away," said Magsanoc.

knightrider
10-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Our coach should cool down during the games. We got a flurry of technicals in the 1st game, including one from the coach, that brought a slew of free throws, that gave the opponent a sizeable lead at a time the game was close. If not for those free throws, game one could have been ours despite the endgame offensive breakdown. The same thing happened in the 2nd game. Playing the referees resulted in the same bag of technicals. Good thing, we won the game. Just focus on the game and bring home the bacon. If apologies are needed, then do it. But Guevarra should also be investigated for his actuations that are also not warranted. No doubt the Knights have been on the end of some pretty bad calls. But such calls happening consistently make something smells fishy. That's where the technical committee has been amiss. Anyway, just concentrate on the game. The crown should be won by our players and the referees should have no part in it, either for or against.

Wangbu
10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
^ Kung mali man si louie alas sa muestra niya ng pag-gilit sa leeg, mas mali naman si romy guevarra sa pang-ngarat at pagsugod kay louie. nandun kami ni boss joe nung game 2, at nakita namin ang pagsugod ni romy kay louie. dahil opisyal si romy ng palaro hindi siya dapat umasta ng ganun. pinakita niya sa lahat ng nanunuod sa big dome at sa tv na utak-bayag siya. ngayon may bahid na ang game 3 dahil sa mga inasta ni romy. papano mapapaniwala ang mga manunuod, kahit pa wala silang kinakampihan sa beda o sa letran, na patas ang tawagan pagsapit ng game 3, samantalang ang hepe mismo ng mga referees hayagan nginaratan at sinugod ang coach ng letran? kahit na nga totoo pang maganda at patas ang tawagan sa game 3, sino nga ang maniniwala dun? sa ginawa ni romy sinira niya ang napaka-exciting na finals na ito.

bugleboy
10-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Wow, ganoon ba ang nangyari? If that is the case, then this should be investigated indeed. Ginoong Wangbu, if ever, puwede kaya kayo ni Joescoundrel na tumestigo laban sa opisyal na ito? Nakakahiya nga ang ginawa niya.

dark_blue
10-24-2012, 12:17 PM
NCAA Season 88: The Finals - CSJL vs SBC Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWIQi9ORp0k&feature=share&list=UUtO3DbpgYeBbiEMSG5Y52lg

Credits to the uploader of this video.

bugleboy
10-25-2012, 08:02 AM
^Thanks for that, dark_blue. Definitely a game for the ages!

Re the Coach Alas brouhaha, siguro naman sapat na ang public apology na ito: http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=863151&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Here's to an exciting end to this championship series. Arriba Letran!

knightrider
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
"We are the men from old Letran...

...onwards to victory!"

bugleboy
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM
And so it comes down to this.

Our Knights, after coming from a 4-5 record in the first round, came back strong with an 8-1 card in the second round, swept the Stags 2-0 in the Final Four, and have now come within a hair of annexing our 17th NCAA crown after fighting back from a 1-0 deficit with the Red Lions to even the championship series at 1-1.

After coming so far, do we ease up now? Do we say, "Ah, that was a good ride. We have over-achieved." Heck no! We will fight to the very end!

The Bedans think they have us figured out. "Prevent Kevin and Belorio from scoring and they will die... Run them to the ground and their bench will not be able to spell the first-stringers, and they will die..." and other similar drivel. Heck, they have under-estimated our team before, and paid dearly for it.

Today is the day we will find out who really deserves this, who really wants the 17th crown more. As for me, there is only one answer: LETRAN... LETRAN... ARRIBA LETRAN!

Go for broke, boys! Never give up! Never give in!

dark_blue
10-26-2012, 04:12 PM
SBC def. CSJL, 67-39

The Knights had a bad game day, throwing bricks in all corners.

Another breaking news: Coach Louie Alas will not come back as Letran head coach for next year. Ouch.

Kevin Alas - 1/26 3FG. Aray.

@iFullCourtFresh
-Breaking news: Letran head coach Louie Alas to tender "irrevocable" resignation.
-Louie Alas: "Hindi muna ako (next) season. Magpapahinga muna ako...(My resignation is) irrevocable. It's time to move on."
-Louie Alas: "Medyo nagkakaproblema rin ang relasyon namin nila Kevin at Junjun, kasi I'm always hard on them."

bugleboy
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
^I was hoping that the Red Lions wouldn't revert to their running game, because our rotation is admittedly too shallow to contain this for four quarters. I was hoping that Ronnie Magsanoc would continue with his smurf ball-slo mo offense, because we would have made mincemeat of this. That was not the case, however, and so we got surprised almost from the get-go.

Our boys -- especially Cortes, Almazan, and Racal -- were visibly nervous, bricking shots they made in the elims and in the first two finals games, and muffing short stabs. It seems that only Mark Cruz was in his element. Even Kevin Alas played like something was bothering him.

Still and all, it was a good run, and I am genuinely thankful for the effort put out by the boys. The pundits didn't even install us as one of the favorites. It's even a minor miracle that we were able to last this long.

Re Coach Louie, that's a bummer. @dark_blue, is that final? No chance to reconsider? As of now, I don't have any names in mind to replace him. (After-thought: Binky Favis? Alfrancis Chua? Asst. Coach Pinat?)

dark_blue
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
^Currently the talk of the town, err, social media. It's on Twitter and FB. So I think it's final.

From @JoeySVillar of Philippine Star
-So its goodbye for Coach Louie! RT @tellytabachoy Letran coach Louie Alas says he won't be back as mentor of the Knights next season. #NCAA

--------------
Another breaking news:

With father leaving, Kevin Alas uncertain to be back for final season with Letran Knights
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/with-father-leaving-kevin-alas-uncertain-to-be-back-for-final-season-with-letran-knights

With his father, Letran coach Louie Alas, announcing that he won’t return to the squad next season, star guard Kevin Alas is unsure about whether he will play for the Knights next year.

“About my plans, I’m still undecided,” the younger Alas told InterAKTV in an exclusive interview.

The father and son experienced a painful Game Three setback against the San Beda Red Lions Friday, after which the elder Alas announced his departure from the program he has led to three NCAA titles.

After the NCAA, Kevin has made a commitment to join the SMART-Gilas Pilipinas national program, putting additional constraints on his time.

“I want to play for the national team,” said Kevin, who is also scheduled to join the NLEX Road Warriors in the PBA D-League.

Louie said the choice to play would be a decision for Kevin, who has been a star for Letran since his grade school days. “We love Letran. Kung sino man ang magiging coach niyan napaka-swerte. Hindi ko rin i-impluwensiyahan si Kevin about his decision for his final year. It’s really up to him.”

knightrider
10-26-2012, 05:10 PM
We can't ask more from them. They all made us proud.

Coach Louie expressed three years ago when his contract was renewed that he will retire after that stint and give the others a chance to coach the team. So his statement appears consistent. Besides, his coaching stint in the PBA will take a lot of his time. I won't be surprised if he gets a PBA head coaching job soon. I feel sad for Kevin as a win today would have cemented his legacy. Despite that, he will always be remembered as one of the greatest Knights to play the game, in the company of a Freddie Webb, a Willie miller and a Kerby Raymundo. If serving "patria" is the next step for him, so be it. He has given us much. I just hope the core of the team remains so we'll still be competitive next year. If the others leave after the coach, we will have a problem. A champion team does not happen overnight. It takes years to build a consistent winning team following the ateneo and beda model. Also deep pockets of a benefactor. But Letran is not for sale, otherwise Henry Sy, Lucio Tan or MVP may be the one of the owners, ha ha. Arriba!

knightrider
10-26-2012, 05:46 PM
I happened to look into the other threads, and there is this bedan nit-wit, shit-head of an ass-hole calling himself greenlion or berdengleon who gets a kick out of lambasting the Knights. It seems he can't and won't be magnanimous. He has a schizophrenic hatred for the red and blue. I think this guy is a red and blue wanna be but cannot be, or more probably, got kicked out of Letran, and has since been wallowing in the quagmire of fecal excrement where he seems to be thriving. I pity this guy, er gay.

ESCALERA JR.
10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
What a horrible way to lose our grip on our 'winningest title' by losing w such a big margin...as early as the first qtr., was hoping
the deficit would be trimmed down to a single digit, but lo and behold, it grew bigger and Larger by the minute.

Well thats how the cookie crumbles for us in this years edition. Overall, well done to our gallant Knights.

Thank you coach L.Alas for the wonderful ride you have given our Knights in your more than a decade of service to the team.
We will forever be grateful for the 3 glorious crowns you have given Letran, and the numerous exciting seasons under your helm.

Di namin matatawaran ang abilidad mo bilang isang magaling ng coach ng mga nagnanais mapabilang sa team Knights.

Good luck on your future endeavors. As you leave the Walls of Intramuros, You will be forever embeded the mark of a true Grand Letran Knight together with the rest of your sons Jun, Kevin and maybe your youngest of the brood. Good Luck to you and Arriba!

Spikermike
10-26-2012, 06:34 PM
First of all, congratulations to the Letran Knights for a helluva series.

Your Knights played an amazing 2nd round, an even more amazing F4 encounter with the Stags, and a good 2 games in the Finals.

As one insider admitted, CLA's biggest worry going into Game 3 was the Red Lions finally coming out of their slump. Our Red Lions have not been playing well since the last game of the eliminations - a loss against Baste, followed by ugly wins against the Altas in the F4 and game 1 of the Finals, then last Saturday's loss.

On the other hand, the Knights were a team on the rise, making it all the way into the Finals, with the Game 2 win and breaking a 15 gamelosing streak to the Red Lions - the apex of that run.

As Destiny would have it, the Red Lions finally broke away from their funk today, and annexed yet another title.

Again, hats off to the Letran Knights!

Arriba! Animo!

bugleboy
10-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Thank you, Spidermike. I think all of the drama that preceded the third game may have detracted from our preparations. That, plus the fact that Coach Louie is resigning (which some players MAY have known beforehand, and MAY have affected their concentration). Plus the fact that your guys prepared very well and played with a lot of heart. The Lions had just a little bit more spring in their steps today, and were just a little bit quicker to the ball. And those weren't little differences, as they translated into rebounds, possessions and made baskets.

Kudos to you and your boys, sir! Enjoy your 17th title and your 3-peat!

ESCALERA JR.
10-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Just wondering too if coach Louie Alas decision to resign a spur of the moment thing. Baka nagpaalam na siya sa mga bata na
it will be his last game hours before game 3 inside the dugout kung kaya nagkaganun ang laro.

That was the worst beating we've seen so far in the history of the letran basketball. The morale and fighting spirit seems to be in its
lowest ebb. Kevin, the coach's son and main gunner was struggling for most part of the game. The heroes and support of game 2 were shut down totally ..Belorio, Racal, Lithuania were nowhere in sight, their numbers insignificant.

Kung anong ganda ng nilaro nila the previous game, ganon naman kasama kagabi. What a time to choke...right on the most important game of their college bball carreers.

Now that coach louie's gone, what does the future hold for our team? We'll find a way. Somehow, somewhere...

oca
10-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Pressured. Emotionally exhausted. Yan ang nakita ko sa Knights in G3.

I know masakit sa inyo balikan itong G3, pero kung papanoorin niyo and replay nito, observe yung mga mintis na attempts-- 3 ang nangyari-- either the ball bounces away from the rim, or short or way off line.

Pag pressured ang isang player at hindi ito nag-settle, the first to go is the shooting. The shooting wasn't there at all. Wala yung shooters bounce. Wala sa linya, no chance at all for a conversion kahit dasalan pa. At air balls? Anong paliwanag dun?

Then, on those 2 occasions that the Knights made a short run-- yung emotional spike that should come as a result wasn't there. That's exhaustion manifested.

That's why champion teams are built and we have build-ups during the tournament. But these two factors have been absent for Letran for many seasons now. S88 was to be an exception, I thought, but the Almazan absence at the start of the seaon, imo, spoiled the build-up that should have been. From a 4-5 start and finishing a strong 3rd in an 18-game elimination will take its tall. Then, having to beat SSC-R twice to make the Finals would have taken best out of any team. Okay lang kung title series na yun, pero hindi-- semis pa lang. Piga na pagkatapos.

Pero one may point out G2, ano yun? Well, i don't want to take credit away from the Knights, but it was a bad shooting day for SBC from the 3-pt area. Louie played the percentages. Seal the inside-- give them the outside shots with an extended defense-- it paid off.

Pero G3, iba na ang timpla ng laro.

Since Letran's last title, has it figured in any championship match since?-- FMC, Fil-Oil, PCCL?

This line-up has very good core, kayang sumabay kahit kanino. Pero sino huhugutin sa bench?

At ang di inaasahan, Magsanoc started with his best 5 and they ran at every opportunity. No way Louie can match that with a short rotation.

Come to think of it, Ola committed 2 fouls early and sat most of the 1st half. Was called for his 3rd foul early in the 3qtr, but it didn't change the complexion of the game. Didn't change the pace. It is something Louie could have easily exploited. Pero piga na mga bata. Sayang yun para sa inyo.

Rest kids. May limitasyon bawat tao at bawat team. Lack of experience in a championship series did you in, imo. But that's not your fault. The program was at fault. Not you.

Magkaisa na alumni niyo. From there springs a lot of good things.

danny
10-28-2012, 12:23 AM
War is over. Until we meet again...
A salute to all of you!

Arriba Letran!
Animo San Beda!

bugleboy
10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
@danny -- Salamat!

@oca -- Good observations, although I think the fatigue was more mental than physical. After all, they did have a six-day respite before Game 3. But after all the trials they went through -- from the Almazan brouhaha, to the second round catch-up phase, to the nerve-wracking series with the Stags, to the first two finals games -- all these could be mentally tiring. Couple that with the inherent pressure of a do-or-die Game 3, the palpable expectations of the Letran crowd, the jeers of the Bedan portion of the coliseum, the surprisingly tenacious Red Lion defense, and the huge deficit they had to surmount -- and it is not surprising that these young men will find it hard to cope. Ayun, baldog na tira.

Nonetheless, valuable lessons were learned. Hopefully, next time, they will put these lessons to good use.