PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pre-Season for the DLSU Green Archers

Nike Air
05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
In preparation for the upcoming UAAP Season 75, the De La Salle University Green Archers joined in two pre-season tournaments namely the Father Martin's Summer League and in the FilOil Pre-Season Cup. More players were in the FilOil line up compared to the Father Martin's line up. In the FilOil tourney, most of the holdovers in last season's line up were there as compared to the Father Martin's line up where the regulars in last season's UAAP line up were not included.

The Green Archers already finished their Father Martin's elimination assignments and ended up with a 5-2 win-loss standing capped off by a strong win over erstwhile unbeaten Group B leader, the Letran Knights yesterday, 70-62. Letran ended their Father Martin's elimination round campaign at 6-1 record. The Green Archers are pretty much in the thick of the fight for the quarterfinals seat, it is just that other Group B teams are yet to finish their elimination round games that's why it cannot be determined yet what's their seeding and who their opponent will be.

Meanwhile in the FilOil tournament, the Green Archers will still have three games left in their elimination round campaign. These are against Perpetual Help on Friday, 1:45pm, on Monday, May 28 versus Mapua at 5:15pm and on June 2 versus the defending champions, the Blue Eagles of Ateneo at 6:00pm. As you all know, all FilOil games are held at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan City. Their current record is at 3-2. I am yet to see the full standings in the group so I can't comment on further how the team is stacked up in the group.

I should say that the pre-season campaign is going well compared to the past three years wherein you can see the Green Archers showing signs of inconsistencies as far as movements inside the court and executing on both ends of the floor is concerned. Primarily because a lot has changed from those three years until now that the Green Archers have a new coaching staff and basically a new system in place. Gone is the patented Pumaren pressure defense, although the team still has pressure defense incorporated in its system but the team is not doing it for the rest of the game.

Even in the offense, the big guys already have participation compared before where the big guys' role in the offensive system is to set screens and get their points mostly from putbacks via offensive rebounds. There are still lots of work to be done if we'll talk about individual low post moves and threat but for now, I will be happy to see that some of the big guys like Norbert and especially Fonzo already given an opportunity to strut their stuff inside the shaded area. Aiki and Jovet also has good showing in the pre-season games as they get point production despite that there are limited plays being ran on them.

Jeron Teng is just a fearless warrior when he takes it strong inside so far. It's either he gets a basket or he gets fouled when he takes the ball to the rack. Good thing though that he has good free throw percentages so far in the pre-season. I hope he carries that until in the UAAP come July. Perimeter shooting is still a concern for Jeron but from time to time, he can hit timely outside shots so I guess he has it in his arsenal, it is just that it's not his primary offensive weapon.

One player that I have to commend so far is MacMac Tallo. So far he has given the Green Archers a lift in the point guard position especially that starter LA Revilla is still injured. MacMac's a big point guard that can slash and also shoot from the perimeter. Some of you may not agree again but in the pre-season games that I've seen him play, he can hit big shots as well from the outside (remember that May 1 FMC game?). This kid has a knack for penetrating then issuing drop passes to big guys so the problem perhaps is to make DLSU's big guys aware that they should be ready to receive passes once MacMac gets inside the paint.

For now I think MacMac should improve and work on his decision-making because in some of the pre-season games, opposing teams can already read MacMac's penchant for the drop pass so teams don't challenge his inside incursions anymore and focus instead on the drop pass recipients. MacMac should go for the lay up if there is no clear opposing big guy to challenge him just to mix it up and further confuse his defenders. I have to commend MacMac's ability to thread those hard path passes even though sometimes those passes were not caught by DLSU's big guys.

Thomas Torres I think will play 3rd point guard behind LA and MacMac. Well he can be the primary back up should the coaching staff decides to play MacMac as an off guard. He has to control his temper though as he gets easily irritated if opposing guards try to play and apply dirty tactics on him. He still lacks finishing as well for the seniors game. I think this is because of his height that he still finds the proper angle or proper feel for him to get those floaters and lay ups going especially going the lane and he'll see bigger opponents ready to swat his shots compared to the high school level.

I just hope that this pre-season will be fulfilling enough to the team to find its chemistry come UAAP in July. I think that's the most important part right now on top of learning the plays because the plays will come in handy if each player will know the tendencies of their teammates, along with their strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention this will be a positive problem for the coaching staff since everyone in the pre-season tournament roster is indeed working their very best to impress the new coaching staff.

bigfreeze_bibby
05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Another thing that worries me a little bit is how Arnold will be able to adjust to the new schemes being run by the team. I am not sure how long he practiced already with the team so I am not that sure what his role will be. I doubt if he'll be given a low post play since his footwork still needs teaching and improvement. So at best he should watch Aiki Herrera's movements in getting points off offensive putbacks.

bchoter
05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome back Na and BB!

bigfreeze_bibby
05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome back Na and BB!

Thanks pre. Late ko nang naayos itong access to dito e hehe. Si NA, utol ko yan. Good luck on your pre-season tourneys.

Sam Miguel
05-29-2012, 08:06 AM
^^^ Good to hear from you again, Bigfreeze.

Even with the strong showing of Lasalle in the preseason, the question remains: who is the go-to guy for this team? The last true go-to guy for the Green Archers was JV Casio. Even with all the talent across this roster, having a go-to guy is still a necessity. Successful teams in the UAAP always had that one guy they could live and die with no matter what. My vote goes to Almond Vosotros, who has shown a cool and complete game and fearlessness when the Archers need someone to take charge.

bchoter
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
^ Yun nga lang Vosotros plays more like a designated hitter to me. He doesn't seem to have the take charge mentality. He make take the wining shot but doesn't seem to have the character to carry the team on his back. If only he can have some of Revilla's resolve. Tallo, on the other hand, seem to think and act like he's the "Alpha Dog" this early. He has played enough to back up the swag and he's a natural being a PG. And the manner of his recruitment seem to indicate how he is valued by the management. Teng is in a similar situation. Maibandera ka ba naman in leading dailys as if you're a top free agent signee. And, in fairness, the kid has shown no rookie jitters. The coaching staff has given him the green light to score and he's done exactly that with some degree of success. He must be among the top foul shooters in terms of attempts. But his skills are not nearly as good as Tallo. Or Vosotros. But it looks like his close to the top in pecking order

Sam Miguel
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
^^^ Padre, maybe for now it is more of a trust issue than a skill / talent issue, i.e. a player has yet to earn the full 100% trust of new head coach Gee Abanilla to be the go-to guy for this team. This team's skill and talent cups doth both runneth over, so that is obviously not a concern here. I agree to a certain extent that Almond Vosotros has been more designated hitter than full time go-to guy up to this point in his playing career for Lasalle, but he still has my vote.

LA Revilla has been a leader type for this team the last couple of years, even when he was rediscovering his game on their B Team due to a serious illness. Unfortunately Revilla, perhaps mainly because of the physical limitations brought about by said illness, cannot assume that role full time. This is where I think Vosotros has to step up and show he can be That Guy. Abanilla can start "auditioning" him by not taking him out even if he gets back-to-back turnovers, the normal time at which Abanilla sits a guy. Abanilla has to let Vosotros try to play through his errors to gain that confidence needed to be That Guy.

Sam Miguel
06-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Ateneo De Manila was 2-3 yesterday in Fr Martin Cup action, as the Blue Eaglets defeated the Adamson Baby Falcons 66-61, the Blue Eagles licked the UP Fighting Maroons 65-53, while the Lady Eagles bowed to the FEU Lady Tams 43-41.

The Lasalle Lady Archers also disposed of the Fatima Lady Phoenix.

Men's quarterfinals will be tomorrow Tuesday at the San Beda gym in Mendiola, Manila commencing at 10:30 AM.

Matches in the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals are as follows:

JRU versus Letran
Ateneo A versus Perpetual Help
UE versus Lasalle
Adamson versus FEU

There will also be one last junior division elimination round game at 9:00 Am of this same game day pitting San Beda HS A versus STI Juniors.

All seminifnal games will be held on Thursday June 7 at Trinity University gym in E Rodriguez. Match-ups in teh senior division will be determined based on the outcomes of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals.

Ladies' semifinals have Lasalle versus Lyceum and FEU versus Adamson.

Finals for all three divisions will be on Sunday June 10 at the San Beda gym in Mendiola. It will be a one-game winner-take-all match for all three division championships.

Sam Miguel
06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Game results of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals at San Beda yesterday:

San Beda HS A beat STI Juniors 91-56 (end of junior division eliminations)

JRU beat Letran 89-79
Ateneo A beat Perpetual 80-61
UE beat Lasalle 64-63
Adamson beat FEU 52-51

bchoter
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
^ Did you see Teng call his number during the Ateneo game? At nag pa clear out pa! Ang lakas ng loob hehehe. Definitely auditioning for that "main man" job :D.

Watching the replay, ewan ko lang ha pero sabi ni Boom (bakit nga ba ako nag rereact sa genius na to?) na Limpot is doing a great job with the DLSU bigs habang tumitira si Torres ng off balance, kontra kumpas finger roll that never had the chance of falling in. Sabagay, at least he's no longer jacking up those threes like it was running out of style

james_hunt
06-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Wag ka nagpapaniwala Kay Boom padre. Bano pa din mga bigs namin, puro chamba. :)

Sam Miguel
06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Fr Martin Cup summer tournament Finals, this Sunday 10 June 2012, at San Beda, Mendiola:

10:00 AM Ateneo versus San Beda (Junior Division)
11:30 AM Lasalle versus Adamson (Women's Division)
1:00 PM Ateneo versus JRU (Men's Division)

LION
06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Congratulations to the DLSU Green Archers for winning yesterday! The winning attitude is back.

GreenArrows
06-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks. At least, even when the game was tight, San Beda played like real players. Competitive but respectful at the same time. That is why there is no 'bad blood' between La Salle and San Beda. There were no cheap shots, nor any actions that would inflict bodily harm. Such a refreshing site to see from a team that is so strong. Congrats to San Beda too. Your team is still a class above the rest in your league. So unlike the hooligans in uniform from a 'school' nearby yours.

Hoopstar
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
My hands raised to San Beda and La Salle for their great game.