PDA

View Full Version : About Moving Basketball into the 2nd Sem

easter
12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Since there is a clamor to move the UAAP and NCAA basketball season in the 2nd sem for national team purposes, how will this affect the college basketball landscape? For me I think it is high time we shift the basketball calendar if we are to make a really serious run in the international competitions.

freak
12-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Kung i momove sa 2nd sem dapat paabutin na rin sa March para meron narin tayong "March Madness" ;)

5FootCarrot
12-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi Jump_Shooter,

After reading this thread more closely, I realize that it may be a better fit for the Hoopedia forum. Sorry about the error; I defer to you if you wish to host the discussion in this forum.

Carrot

Joescoundrel
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Maybe the guys who are older than I am can elucidate: I seem to recall one of the major leagues - wasit UAAP or NCAA - used to be played in the second semester. Tama ba...?

Did ABS CBN Sports have anything to do with sticking both in the first semester? Maybe it was more cost efficient to hold both tournaments in the same semester according to their market research or focus groups...?

easter
12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
1990s pa in the days of SIlverstar, the UAAP plays basketball in the 1st sem. Even those 1980s finals I think were in the 1st sem if memory serves me right. Same goes with the NCAA.

Pizza Guy
12-07-2011, 11:14 AM
If the games are done in the second sem, most of the fans will be out during the Christmas Season. Tapos patapos na rin ang school year, magkakatamaran na.

First sem's fine with me. At least maraming atat.

abeclim
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Since I was a high school freshman in 1965, the NCAA basketball games have always been held on the 1st semester.

eboy
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
The idea is to have all the indoor sports during the rainy season, and the outdoor sports during the drier months. We used to hold the volleyball games in the first sem, but they moved it to the second sem a few years ago

Joescoundrel
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
^ There you go, I must have gotten it confused with the volleyball tournament.

Good point on holding indoor sports during the rainy months, practical nga naman.

Ano ba mapapala nating mga fans, and more so the student athletes, if the basketball season is moved to the second semester...? Is the second sem typically "lighter" on students now than it was before?

All I can recall is that the second sem (for college) and the third and fourth quarters (for high school) SEEMED to pass by more quickly than the first half of the school year, but the work load was constantly a pain in the arse.

For the fans this will certainly reduce Ondoy- and Pedring-related postponements, but how does this then affect the current summer tournaments especially Fil Oil?

5FootCarrot
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Ano ba mapapala nating mga fans, and more so the student athletes, if the basketball season is moved to the second semester...? Is the second sem typically "lighter" on students now than it was before?

All I can recall is that the second sem (for college) and the third and fourth quarters (for high school) SEEMED to pass by more quickly than the first half of the school year, but the work load was constantly a pain in the arse.

Building on Tito Joe's point, my understanding is that the second sem is also the opportunity for student athletes to get caught up on their schoolwork, after juggling acads and the main tournament in the first part of the year. I think the status quo is fine because having the tournament in the second sem means they'll be distracted during this time and (despite best efforts in the first semester) might get nasty surprises at the end of the school year that would jeopardize participation in the succeeding school year, if not their student status entirely.

easter
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Ano ba mapapala nating mga fans, and more so the student athletes, if the basketball season is moved to the second semester...?

Yes but the reasoning for moving it to the second sem is so that the high school and college players will not have any conflict if they are requested to play for the national team. True that it may not matter much to us fans but it could matter much to national team duties since international events usually happen during the first sem.