10-23-2011, 06:36 AM
http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/

oca
10-23-2011, 06:38 AM
NU, La Salle eye PCCL ‘Sweet 16’ berths

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer
10:57 pm | Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Seeking to end the season on a positive note, National U and De La Salle shoot for slots to the Sweet 16 of the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League when they vie in the Metro Manila eliminations from Nov. 8 to 10 at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

After missing out on the Final Four in the UAAP, the Bulldogs and Archers gun for the two slots at stake against NCAA squads Mapua and Lyceum, University of Manila, St. Francis of Assisi, Centro Escolar University and Technological University of the Philippines.

Already assured of slots in the Sweet 16 are reigning UAAP champion Ateneo, losing finalist Far Eastern U and semifinalists Adamson and University of Santo Tomas.

The NCAA squads already in the Sweet 16 are San Beda and San Sebastian, which will vie for the title starting Monday, and semifinalists Letran and Jose Rizal U.

The two spots at stake in the Visayas eliminations will be disputed by Cebu sides University of Cebu, University of Visayas, Southwestern University and University of San Carlos.
Eliminations staking four slots in the Sweet 16 are also slated in Vigan, Naga, Davao and Ormoc.

http://sports.inquirer.net/21367/nu-la-salle-eye-pccl-%E2%80%98sweet-16%E2%80%99-berths

oca
10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
NU, La Salle eye PCCL ‘Sweet 16’ berths

By Cedelf P. Tupas
10:57 pm | Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Seeking to end the season on a positive note, National U and De La Salle shoot for slots to the Sweet 16 of the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League when they vie in the Metro Manila eliminations from Nov. 8 to 10 at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

After missing out on the Final Four in the UAAP, the Bulldogs and Archers gun for the two slots at stake against NCAA squads Mapua and Lyceum, University of Manila, St. Francis of Assisi, Centro Escolar University and Technological University of the Philippines.

Already assured of slots in the Sweet 16 are reigning UAAP champion Ateneo, losing finalist Far Eastern U and semifinalists Adamson and University of Santo Tomas.

The NCAA squads already in the Sweet 16 are San Beda and San Sebastian, which will vie for the title starting Monday, and semifinalists Letran and Jose Rizal U.

The two spots at stake in the Visayas eliminations will be disputed by Cebu sides University of Cebu, University of Visayas, Southwestern University and University of San Carlos.
Eliminations staking four slots in the Sweet 16 are also slated in Vigan, Naga, Davao and Ormoc.

http://sports.inquirer.net/21367/nu-la-salle-eye-pccl-%E2%80%98sweet-16%E2%80%99-berths

The previous 2 or 3 years, the 5th and 6th placers at the UAAP and NCAA competed in the Visayas and Mindanao qualifiers. Now these teams will compete with other Metro Manila teams in the Metro Mla elims. This makes better sense, imo.

This year has a completely new format, particularly interesting is the semis. The NCAA and UAAP champions are seeded into the semis. The four teams here play a single round robin, top two advances to the Finals with the #1 having a twice-to-beat advantage. Didn't say how ties will be resolved. FIBA quotient ba?

The graphics of the bracketing seems so hard to figure out the first time you see it. Ipo-post ko na lang itong comment na ito, nagdududa pa ako kung tama intindi ko. ;D

bchoter
10-23-2011, 12:28 PM
If it's true that the UAAP and NCAA champs have twice-to-beat advantage then the organizers are really loading it up for the Manila-based squads. What makes the US NCAA compelling to watch is the possiblity of a cinderella finish. The PCCL leadership doesn't seem to agree.

philambre
10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
If it's true that the UAAP and NCAA champs have twice-to-beat advantage then the organizers are really loading it up for the Manila-based squads. What makes the US NCAA compelling to watch is the possiblity of a cinderella finish. The PCCL leadership doesn't seem to agree.

actually ncaa and uaap champions have automatic slots in the final four. the third slot will come from luzon-based teams while the last slot will come from vis-min area. then round robin sa final four. top 2 teams move into the finals (twice to beat ung no.1 after f4).

so sigurado may isang makakapasok sa final 4 sa vis-min teams

maroonmartian
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Naisip ko lang po.Tutal UEFA Champions League na ay gawing 32 teams. Tapos 8 groups with 4 teams each. Top two teams will advance in the knock-out format.

And I hope ABS-CBN really plugged this. Kung kaya ibaibahin ang venue ng Finals.

The_Big_Cat
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Ano ba naman torneo na ito? Paiba-ba ng format. Paiba-iba ng bracketing. At Paiba-iba din ang pangalan thru the years. Lagi na lang may asterisk itong torneo na ito.

maroonmartian
11-02-2011, 05:27 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/22745/university-of-cebu-southwestern-u-clinch-sweet-16-slots

University of Cebu, Southwestern U clinch Sweet 16 slots
By Cedelf P. Tupas

MANILA, Philippines—University of Cebu booked a return trip to the Sweet 16 of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League after reaching the Cesafi finals opposite Southwestern University.
Powered by big man Junmar Fajardo, the Webmasters reached the semifinals of the PCCL last season, losing to eventual champion Ateneo.
The Cobras, on the other hand, clinched an outright entry to the Sweet 16 for the first time, taking the place of perennial contender University of Visayas.
UC currently leads SWU, 2-0, in the best-of-five series of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc.
Both UC and SWU have a golden chance of cracking the round-robin semifinals as they face the Visayas and Mindanao regional champion in the step-ladder phase of the Sweet 16 Finals.
Already assured of semifinal berths are UAAP champion Ateneo de Manila and NCAA titlist San Beda College, leaving only two spots for the Luzon and Southern Islands champions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LION
11-02-2011, 06:03 PM
If San Beda meets Ateneo in the finals and we lose, tayo ang All-Filipino champs ng PCCL. ;)

Joescoundrel
11-03-2011, 07:06 AM
I still can't believe it - or maybe I misunderstood - but why would the PCCL automatically seed the UAAP and NCAA champions into the Final 4 with twice-beat advantages? Nahiya pa sila, sana sinabihan na lang nila ang ibang teams na huwag na lang sumali at ang gusto naman talaga nilang magkaharap sa PCCL Finals UAAP at NCAA lang parati. I don't see how any of the other schools can overcome this kind of edge by the UAAP and NCAA champions.

LION
11-03-2011, 09:05 AM
^ Pareng joe, agree with you. Which is the reason why dapat talaga yung champions lang ng major leagues naionwide ang kasali sa PCCL just like in the US NCAA.

Imagine if a non-UAAP or non-NCAA champ wins the PCCL crown. E di naman sila ang champion sa UAAP or NCAA. It's really absurd.

red_engr1987
11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I still can't believe it - or maybe I misunderstood - but why would the PCCL automatically seed the UAAP and NCAA champions into the Final 4 with twice-beat advantages? Nahiya pa sila, sana sinabihan na lang nila ang ibang teams na huwag na lang sumali at ang gusto naman talaga nilang magkaharap sa PCCL Finals UAAP at NCAA lang parati. I don't see how any of the other schools can overcome this kind of edge by the UAAP and NCAA champions.

Sir Joe, same here it drives me crazy when i saw the format in PEX. WHAT KIND OF FOOL IN NOVEMBER SANA APRIL yung tournament para APRIL'S FOOL. That's the reason why PCCL are less attractive among basketball fans its always had a different format year in year out. before the seeding is highly questionable and debatable now is much worst than ever ONLY in the Philippines. Dapat dyan iboycot na ng ibang schools para matauhan yan mga organizer who run the tournament feeling yata nila ay GOd in Philippine basketball. What a shame????

Wish ko lang wala sana manood ng live at wala sanang TV RATING. Walang kwenta PCCL 2011 Edition :(

AnthonyServinio
11-03-2011, 12:32 PM
The very best format was the format of the very first edition in 2002 -- 16 schools in a straight knockout format with no byes. All teams had equal chances to take home the crown.

The roster was well-distributed:

UAAP (4) - Ateneo, East, Far Eastern, Santo Tomas
NCAA (3) - San Sebastian, Saint Benilde, Jose Rizal
NAASCU (1) - University of Manila
NCRAA (2) - PSBA-QC, Saint Francis
CUSA (1) - Las Pinas College
BBEAL (1) - University of Baguio
DCAA (1) - University of Mindanao
NOPSCEA (1) - West Negros College
CeSAFI (2) - University of the Visayas, University of San Jose-Recoletos

First Round Pairings:
ADMU d. WNC 75-70
UST d. UM Hawks 93-81
SFAC d UM Wildcats 61-46
FEU d. UB 87-50
SSC-R d. PSBA-QC 106-102 (2OT)
UE d. USJ-R 74-67
LPC d. CSB 74-67
UV d. JRU 86-78

Second Round Pairings:
UST d. ADMU 74-71
FEU d. SFAC 57-44
UE d. SSC-R 81-65
UV d. LPC 72-69

Final Four:
FEU d. UST 83-74
UE d. UV 94-90

FINALS:
UE sweeps FEU in best-of-three, 2-0 (82-58 and 57-55)

The finals though should have been a straight one-game knockout as well.

bchoter
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
my exact sentiments brod. it's bad enough to have them seeded automatically to the final 4 but to give them twice-to-beat advantage is absurd. if i'm not the uaap or ncaa champs and i had the choice, i'd pull out of the tourney. just give it to one of the regional teams as they need any exposure they can get rather than be part of this moro moro

AnthonyServinio
11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
my exact sentiments brod. it's bad enough to have them seeded automatically to the final 4 but to give them twice-to-beat advantage is absurd. if i'm not the uaap or ncaa champs and i had the choice, i'd pull out of the tourney. just give it to one of the regional teams as they need any exposure they can get rather than be part of this moro moro

UAAP and NCAA is nothing but too much hype thanks to their television partner. Porque nationally televised akala mo napakagaling na. There are schools from the other leagues who could beat them on any given day and they play with more heart despite not having rich alumni to support them. So why do these greedy "big" schools keep on pirating the best players from the other leagues and just let them rot in their Team B's?

bchoter
11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
^ I wonder if the partner network had anything to do with the format. Coach Joe must be shaking his head...

I think, given the proper hype, regional squads will be supported by Manila-based followers akin to the how the Cebuanos followed the Cebu-based Mama's Love squad in the old PABL.

And while the old PBA believed in competitive games in terms of increasing viewership (they handicapped the strongest squad, the All-Filipino finalists, by putting limits to their imports' height and utilization), the PCCL believes in the opposite: Stack the odds in favor of Manila-based squad so their captured market will come in droves. Ateneans and Bedans watch even lesser leagues such as Fr. Martin's, what more when it is on a national level? Tsk tsk tsk... there is no effort to expand following...

maroonmartian
11-07-2011, 07:32 AM
http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/IMAGES/CHART-PCCL2011.jpg
PCCL FORMAT from Official PCCL Website.

maroonmartian
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks dun sa BEN for this article:

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=745195&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

NU, La Salle gun for Sweet 16 in Champs League

MANILA, Philippines - The Metro Manila qualifying games of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) kick off Tuesday at the FilOil Flying V Arena with National University and La Salle favored to advance to the Sweet 16 Finals.

Joining the Bulldogs and the Archers in the battle for two Sweet 16 spots are Mapua, Lyceum, NAASCU champion University of Manila, UCLAAI titlist St. Francis of Assissi, NMCAA king Centro Escolar University and ISAA winner Technological Institute of the Philippines.

The Bulldogs and the Archers made the Sweet 16 finals via the backdoor with the Taft-based squad finishing third.

La Salle, led by JV Casio, won the national title in 2008 at the expense of rival Ateneo de Manila

On the other hand, the Bulldogs spearheaded by UAAP Most Valuable Player Ray Parks are expected to end their season on a positive note. They have yet to reach the top eight in two previous Sweet 16 Finals stints.

Already in the Sweet 16 are defending national champion Ateneo, Far Eastern University, Adamson, University of Santo Tomas, NCAA king San Beda College, San Sebastian College, Letran, Jose Rizal University, University of Cebu and Southwestern University.

The other four seats in the Sweet 16 are up for grabs in the regional championships involving provincial champions to be held at UNP Gym. Vigan City(Nov. 7-8), Naga Coliseum in Naga City (Nov. 11-12), Almendras Gym in Davao City (Nov. 15-16) and Ormoc Astrodome in Ormoc City (Nov. 27-28).

AnthonyServinio
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
November 8 (Tuesday) - San Juan Arena
2:00 PM University of Manila vs. Technological Institute of the Philippines
4:00 PM Lyceum of the Philippines University vs. National University

November 9 (Wednesday) - San Juan Arena
2:00 PM Centro Escolar University vs. Saint Francis of Assisi College
4:00 PM De La Salle University vs. Mapua Institute of Technology

November 10 (Thursday) - San Juan Arena
2:00 PM winner UM-TIP vs. winner LPU-NU
4:00 PM winner CEU-SFAC vs. winner DLSU-MIT

Note: Thursday's winners advance to Sweet 16.

maroonmartian
11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
^ Is this the San Juan Arena or the FilOil Flying V Arena? And it is free admission (being a qualification game). Want to see DLSU. :D

Regular Grey
11-08-2011, 08:01 AM
May tv or radio coverage ba?

maroonmartian
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
May tv or radio coverage ba?

Being a qualification game for the Step-Ladder to Final 4 (See table above), I think there is none. Newspaper coverage sigurado ako meron naman yan.

Can't wait to see DLSU and NU.More on the former if there is a change that happened.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/297072_10150347612092212_176713072211_8623667_1423 51864_n.jpg

Will watch tomorrow. MIT/DLSU is a good game.

AnthonyServinio
11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
November 8 (Tuesday) - San Juan Arena
University of Manila d. Technological Institute of the Philippines, 78-69
National University d. Lyceum of the Philippines University, 84-74

2:00 PM Centro Escolar University vs. Saint Francis of Assisi College
4:00 PM De La Salle University vs. Mapua Institute of Technology

November 10 (Thursday) - San Juan Arena
2:00 PM University of Manila vs. National University
4:00 PM winner CEU-SFAC vs. winner DLSU-MIT

Note: Thursday's winners advance to Sweet 16.

maroonmartian
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
^ Copy ko na lang po:

2:00 PM Centro Escolar University vs. Saint Francis of Assisi College 68-50
4:00 PM De La Salle University vs. Mapua Institute of Technology 56-51

For those who will watch tomorrow (I wouldn't), here are the seat price in the FilOil Flying V Arena:
Bleachers-Free Admission
Lower Box-P50
Courtside-P100

I encourage people to watch.Ang konti ng nanood kanina.By the way, DLSU has a new coach and it's Tyrone Bautista. That school's "grandfather" also watched.

Tsiken
11-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Alin bracket ang lalaban sa south Luzon champ? Kung bigay-todo ang Santo Tomas Growling Tigers dito baka sila pa ang makapasok sa Final 4... FEU walang Ramos... CSJL walang Alas... yung winner na lang ng kabilabg bracket ang problema...

maroonmartian
11-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Alin bracket ang lalaban sa south Luzon champ? Kung bigay-todo ang Santo Tomas Growling Tigers dito baka sila pa ang makapasok sa Final 4... FEU walang Ramos... CSJL walang Alas... yung winner na lang ng kabilabg bracket ang problema...

In my opinion, yes kaya yan talaga ng UST.Upward trend na yan since the UAAP. Ang question lang kasi most of the teams I watched yesterday, parang di sineseryoso. 9-10 players lang sa bench? And IMO the match is very important (MIT vs DLSU).

Pare, wala akong alam talaga dun sa South Luzon championships.

http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/SCHEDULES&RESULTS.html

This might help.

Sam Miguel
11-10-2011, 08:05 AM
From Joey Villar of the Star ___

Archers Keep Bid for Sweet 16

La Salle shut down Mapua in the last four minutes to fashion out a come-from-behind 56-51 victory yesterday and keep its Sweet 16 hopes alive in the Metro Manila qualifying round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at The Arena in San Juan City.

Luigi dela Paz led the Archers with 11 points while Almond Vosotros and Joshua Webb chipped in 10 points apiece while Philip Paredes added eight markers, the last two off an assist by Jarelan Tampus that gave the Archers the lead for good.

“We have less than a week to prepare and we have only 11 players to work on,” said new La Salle mentor Gee Abanilla, who opted to sit on the sidelines and give the coaching chores to assistant Tyrone Bautista.

“We’re actually using this tournament as an assessment period, we hope to build on this win,” said Abanilla.

Jong Uichico, La Salle’s consultant, however, was more blunt on his assessment of the re-building Archers.

“Not so good,” said Uichico.

The Archers seek to qualify for the Sweet 16 starting on Nov. 19 with a victory over the Centro-Escolar U Scorpions, the men’s National Collegiate Athletic Association champions, at resumption of the elims today.

The Scorpions earlier downed the St. Francis of Assisi Doves, 68-50.

The other knockout match today pits the National U Bulldos, who trounced the Lyceum Pirates, 84-74, Tuesday, and the University of Manila Hawks, who hurdled the TIP Engineers, 78-69.

It was a sorry loss for the Cardinals, who dominated the first half with a solid interior defense and even led at 28-23 at the break.

But the Archers, who lost Jovit Mendoza in the first half due to a pair of flagrant fouls, re-grouped at resumption of the contest, hitting their outside shots to offset Mapua’s zone defense.

La Salle then poured it all out in the final four minutes, scoring five points while holding the Cardinals scoreless to break a 51-all count for the victory.

Mapua Fil-Palestinian rookie Yousef Taha had a game-high 18 points but was shut down in the stretch along with the rest of the Cardinals.

Sam Miguel
11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
^ Did our good friend Joey Villar just mis-write that bit up there...?

San Beda is the NCAA champion...

Hindi ba sa NAASCU ang CEU...?

AnthonyServinio
11-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Centro Escolar University is playing as the reigning champions of the Men's National Collegiate Athletic Association (MNCAA), a second semester league run by the same people behind the WNCAA in order to give a venue to the male students of the WNCAA member schools.

The Scorpions finished in Fourth Place during the recent 11th NAASCU.

freak
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Centro Escolar University is playing as the reigning champions of the Men's National Collegiate Athletic Association (MNCAA), a second semester league run by the same people behind the WNCAA in order to give a venue to the male students of the WNCAA member schools.

The Scorpions finished in Fourth Place during the recent 11th NAASCU.

Anabo naman nun, MNCAA ???

maroonmartian
11-11-2011, 10:14 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philippine-College-Champions-League/176713072211?sk=wall

From the PCCL Facebook fanpage(more updated)

NU Bulldogs will face the winner (North/Central Luzon Champion) between University of Northern Philippines and University of Pangasinan. GAME WILL BE TELEVISED TOMORROW ON STUDIO 23, 3pm!

Will be rooting for my Ilokano brethens. To those in NU, try Marsha's bibingka or empanada (but those in Batac are better IMO). UNP and UP (Univ.of Pangasinan), laingan niyo ada kayo iti TV, kabsat.

kuzma1313
11-11-2011, 10:57 PM
go, SWU COBRAS!

Tsiken
11-12-2011, 03:37 AM
Wala yatang representation ang Pampanga... yung dating NC school from Pampanga malakas yon... at kung maglalaban ang North and Central Luzon champ sa South Luzon champ, kakainin lang ng buo ng SL champ ang NL/CL champ...

reforms
11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
^Meron team ang Pampanga brad.

San Sebastian.

;)

maroonmartian
11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
^Meron team ang Pampanga brad.

San Sebastian.

;)

^+1

Taga Pampanga coach nila? Pero their big three is. ;D Labo nang Studio 23.Televised daw.Saan bang channel. Nagmadin inubra da! At least may assured team from our Region. Sabagay may Ilokano naman sa NU (Javillonar).

maroonmartian
11-13-2011, 08:39 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/24535/sharks-top-north-central-luzon-leg-gain-pccl-sweet-16

Sharks top North-Central Luzon leg, gain PCCL Sweet 16
By Jasmine W. Payo

The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) recently ruled the North-Central Luzon qualifier to capture a Sweet 16 berth in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL).

The UNP Sharks, champions of the Schools Colleges Universities Athletic Association, drubbed the University of Pangasinan, 95-77, in the knockout final duel in Vigan City.

Aside from toppling the Pangasinan five, the reigning Universities and Colleges Athletic Association of Pangasinan titlist, the Sharks also edged two other champions in the University of Cordillera, La Union College of Nursing Arts and Sciences, and University of Pangasinan.

The Cordillera squad topped the Baguio-Benguet Educational Athletic League, while the La Union crew dominated the Student Body Organization Athletic Association.
The Sharks, who earned an all-expense paid trip to Manila, joined early Sweet 16 qualifiers Far Eastern University, Adamson, University of Santo Tomas, San Sebastian, Letran, Jose Rizal University and Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. finalists University of Cebu and Southwestern University.

National University and La Salle also joined the elite group after topping the Metro Manila qualifiers last week.
Four-time UAAP champion Ateneo and back-to-back NCAA titlist San Beda secured outright semifinal berths.
PCCL executive director Joe Lipa said the stepladder Sweet 16 Finals will start on Nov. 19 at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Battling for the remaining Sweet 16 berths in the Southern Luzon-Bicol qualifiers in Naga City are the University of Batangas, University of Perpetual Help Laguna, Amanda Cope College, Lewis College, MS Enverga University, and Ateneo de Naga .

Two more regional contests are set this month for the tournament gathering the best collegiate teams in the country.

The Mindanao qualifier is set on Nov. 15 and 16 in Davao City, while the Visayas leg is slated Nov. 27 and 28 in Ormoc City.

oca
11-17-2011, 06:54 AM
http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/index.html

http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/IMAGES/CCL11_SW16R1.jpg

oca
11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
http://www.philstar.com/

Olympians, Kings score in PCCL Minda leg
(The Philippine Star) Updated November 17, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (0)
SHARE: facebook yahoo! buzz

MANILA, Philippines - Cagayan de Oro league champion STI trounced Ateneo de Zamboanga, 111-94, while Jose Maria College routed Holy Trinity College, 107-80, in the Mindanao Regional championship of the Philippine Champions Collegiate League (PCCL) at the Almendras gym, Davao City recently.

The Olympians and the Kings, winners of the Davao City League, will dispute the Mindanao title with the winner advancing to the Sweet 16 Finals plus an all-expense paid trip to Ormoc City.

The Mindanao champion will face the CESAFI winner University of Cebu Webmasters in a knockout match.

Coach Joe Lipa Jr., PCCL executive director, said that the remaining Sweet 16 seats will be contested in the regional championship for Visayas at Ormoc Astrodome, Ormoc City on Nov. 27-28. He added that the regional championship games will be aired over Studio 23.

Other teams in the Sweet 16 group are Ateneo, San Beda, FEU, San Sebastian, Adamson U, Letran, UST, JRU, U Cebu, Southwestern U, National U, La Salle, University of Northern Phils., and University of Batangas.

For details, visit www.ChampionsChampionsLeague.net.

Joescoundrel
11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
From the PCCL Media Center c/o Inquirer Sports - - -

STI, JMC forge Champs League duel

Cagayan De Oro representative STI and Jose Maria College of Davao City crushed separate rivals Tuesday to forge a finals showdown in the Mindanao Regional Championship of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Almendras Gym in Davao.

The Olympians, who ruled the CDO league for the right to represent North Mindanao, overpowered Ateneo de Zamboanga, 111-94, while the Kings toppled General Santos City bet Holy Trinity College, 107-80.

The winner of the Olympians-Kings clash will face Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) champion University of Cebu in the Sweet 16 in Ormoc.

Southwestern U, the Cesafi runnerup, will meet the winner of the Visayas championship.
Tournament commissioner Joe Lipa said ABS-CBN Sports will air the regional championship games and Sweet 16 matches on Studio 23.

The Sweet 16 kicks off Saturday with University of Northern Philippines facing National U and La Salle tangling with University of Batangas.

Also assured of Sweet 16 berths are Ateneo, San Beda, Far Eastern U, San Sebastian, Adamson, Letran, University of Santo Tomas and Jose Rizal U.

oca
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=749339&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Archers, Bulldogs face reg'l champs
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated November 18, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (0)
SHARE: facebook yahoo! buzz

MANILA, Philippines - The 2011 Sweet 16 Finals of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League gets going tomorrow with La Salle taking on South Luzon and Bicol champion University of Batangas and National U clashing with North and Central Luzon titlist University of Northern Phl at The Arena in San Juan City.

The Archers and the Bulldogs, who made it through the qualifiers by disposing of champion teams in the other Metro Manila leagues, battle the Brahmans at 4 p.m. and the Sharks at 2 p.m., respectively, hoping to stay alive in the stepladder format being implemented this year.

No less than PCCL chair Rey Gamboa and tournament director and commissioner Joe Lipa ushered in the event staking P400,000 worth of scholarship grants to the champion courtesy of PLDT and Smart in yesterday’s press conference at ABS-CBN’s ELJ Building in Quezon City.

“PCCL in partnership with the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and 33 collegiate leagues nationwide is pursuing the dream of Manny V. Pangilinan to have one national collegiate champion every end of the collegiate season,” said Gamboa.

Gamboa along with ABS-CBN vice president for communications Peter Musngi also announced all Sweet 16 games will be shown live on Studio 23 not just to provide the league exposure but also give collegiate cage fans a chance to see their favorite teams and players in action.

Reigning UAAP four-peat champion Ateneo is gunning for a record third straight crown and fourth overall. The Eagles have been seeded into the Final Four outright along with the San Beda Lions, the reigning NCAA titlists.

“Coach Norman’s instruction is for us to win every tournament we participate,” said Ateneo player Bacon Austria referring to Black, currently handling the Sinag Pilipinas team in the SEA Games in Jakarta.

NU athletic director Junel Baculi, for his part, likes his team’s chances in the upcoming tournament.

“Bobby Ray Parks and Emmanuel Mbe are both playing so we’re confident we can compete against the best,” said Baculi.

Focus will also be on the Archers, now handled by head coach Gie Abanilla with Jong Uichico as consultant.

Joshua Webb, the most seasoned in the current La Salle roster, said he’s happy with the way his team is developing.

“Well, roughly, we’re all been practicing for two weeks. It’s just us trying to learn the system and we’re improving everyday,” said Webb, expected to play a major role under Abanilla after getting minimal minutes from former mentor Dindo Pumaren.

A win over the Brahmans will line the Archers against the Santo Tomas Tigers, Letran Knights, the Far Eastern U Tams and the Lions to get a crack at the crown.

Webb, however, said that’s thinking too far ahead.

“That’s actually a possibility and for it to happen, we have to practically climb a mountain so we’re taking it a game at a time,” said Webb.

The other schools that made it through are San Sebastian, Adamson, Jose Rizal, Southwestern U and University of Cebu.

oca
11-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Simula na sa araw na ito ang Sweet 16 ng PCCL.

Daming opinion sa torneong ito. Mas marami ang di magandang pagpuna kaysa sa pagpuri. Ganon pa man, sana naman ano man ang maging resulta ng mga laro kung talo, talo!

Wala nung kesyo wala si ganito, kesyo di completo sa pracktis, kesyo may conflict sa schedule ng ilang players na nasa ibang liga, meron pang kwestyunin ang katuturan ng liga pagkatapos matalo.... etc.

Di naman lalagyan ng asterisk ang panalo ng isang koponan, asterisk na maghahayag ng bentaha sa laro. Asterisk na magmamaliit sa panalo. Kung ikaw ang mananalo, tuwirang panalo ka. Kaya kung ikaw naman yung matatalo, tuwirang talo ka rin.

Pag talo, talo!

Pag panalo, tuloy sa next round. At kung hiranging kampeon sa pagtatapos ng torneo-- iyo na yung titulo. Gusto mo bang maliitin yan ng iba?

oca
11-21-2011, 06:37 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/26069/ust-de-la-salle-bring-rivalry-to-pccl-caging

UST, De La Salle bring rivalry to PCCL caging
By Jasmine W. Payo
11:48 pm | Sunday, November 20th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—University of Santo Tomas hopes to bring its surprisingly solid run in the UAAP to the Sweet 16 of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Monday against a resurgent La Salle squad at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Tigers, semifinalists in the last UAAP season, take the floor at 4 p.m. against the Archers who are now being handled by coach Gee Abanilla with multititled PBA mentor Jong Uichico as consultant.

Jose Rizal University, also a Final Four qualifier in the NCAA, clashes with National University in the first of the knockout doubleheader at 2 p.m.

“The format of the tournament is not in our favor because we’re playing a fresh team while we’ve already played three games,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We’re trying to save our legs, so hopefully we’ll have some more this Monday.”

The Archers and the Bulldogs, who both missed out on the UAAP Final Four this year, took a longer route to reach the stepladder stage of the nationwide tournament.
Both topped the Metro Manila qualifiers, before clinching another victory at the start of the Sweet 16 round over the weekend.

Norbert Torres and Joshua Webb caught fire early and powered the Archers past South Luzon-Bicol regional champion University of Batangas Brahmans, 78-55, in the Sweet 16 opener last Saturday.

The Bulldogs also routed North-Central Luzon titlist University of the Northern Philippines, 96-51, in the other match where Cameroonian Emmanuel Mbe topscored with 23 points.

Abanilla said the Archers are definitely bracing for a tough encounter with the Tigers, who are led by Cameroonian center Karim Abdul and Jeric Teng.
“It will be a good gauge of how far we are right now,” said Abanilla. “As I’ve said, we’ve been together for just 12 days and hopefully we’ll improve some more.”

Joescoundrel
11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
^ Umaatikabong bugbugan pala 'yan memya sa Arena. I hope the fans and students come out to support their guys.

AnthonyServinio
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
From the PCCL Media Center c/o Inquirer Sports - - -

STI, JMC forge Champs League duel

Cagayan De Oro representative STI and Jose Maria College of Davao City crushed separate rivals Tuesday to forge a finals showdown in the Mindanao Regional Championship of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Almendras Gym in Davao.

The Olympians, who ruled the CDO league for the right to represent North Mindanao, overpowered Ateneo de Zamboanga, 111-94, while the Kings toppled General Santos City bet Holy Trinity College, 107-80.

The winner of the Olympians-Kings clash will face Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) champion University of Cebu in the Sweet 16 in Ormoc.

Southwestern U, the Cesafi runnerup, will meet the winner of the Visayas championship.
Tournament commissioner Joe Lipa said ABS-CBN Sports will air the regional championship games and Sweet 16 matches on Studio 23.

The Sweet 16 kicks off Saturday with University of Northern Philippines facing National U and La Salle tangling with University of Batangas.

Also assured of Sweet 16 berths are Ateneo, San Beda, Far Eastern U, San Sebastian, Adamson, Letran, University of Santo Tomas and Jose Rizal U.

From what I remember when I spent a lot of time in that city some years back, STI-Cagayan de Oro's varsity team is called The Conquerors.

elvis
11-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Just heard that JRU defeated NU 66-62. Any updates on the UST-DLSU match?

fujima04
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
DLSU defeated UST 72-67

oca
11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=750805&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Archers repel Tigers; Bombers score
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated November 22, 2011 12:00

MANILA, Philippines - De La Salle U survived the late charge of University of Santo Tomas en route to a 72-67, triumph and a place into the next round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Sweet 16 knockout tourney at the Arena yesterday.

The Archers seized a 10-point lead entering the fourth then quashed the Tigers’ uprising with a split by Samuel Marata, a key block by Norbert Torres on a potential game-tying triple attempt by Louie Vigil, and two foul shots by Almond Vosotros – all in the last 10.6 seconds – to arrange a Last 8 duel with Letran today.

In the first game, Jose Rizal U squandered an eight-point fourth-quarter lead but held on to secure a 66-62 win over a short-handed National U crew.

The triumph sent the Bombers, semifinalists in the last NCAA caging, into the next phase against Adamson.

“This is our 13th day together and I see a lot of improvement. I’m just hoping we still keep on improving,” said La Salle coach Gee Abanilla.

“We got a long way to go, we’ve set our goals in such as way that we may be competitive in the UAAP. Right now, we’re just starting but we’re happy about it. The boys are really aggressive, it’s just that they just have to lower turnover and play smart,” he added.

Joshua Webb fired 16 points on a 7-of-10 field goal shooting to lead the DLSU offensive, getting support from Vosotros (13), Luigi dela Paz (12) and Marata (10).

Big man Torres anchored the defense down low with seven points, five rebounds and three shot blocks, outplaying UST’s Cameroonian slotman Karim Abdul (five points, seven rebounds).

Drawing a foul from NU’s Robin Roño amid a searing Bulldog rally, Nate Matute split his charities to give the Heavy Bombers a 64-62 lead with 13.8 seconds left in the contest.

Then JRU watched as Reden Celda’s game-tying lay-up try for NU trickle out, quickly pouncing on the opportunity to send John Lopez to the line for the insurance free throws.

Lopez led a balanced scoring attack for JRU with 10 points, including six in the payoff period, backstopped by John Villarias and Jekster Apinan’s identical outputs of eight points and nine rebounds.

Cameroonian Emmanuel Mbe shot 13 points and grabbed eight rebounds while Jeff Javillonar fired 12 markers and nine boards to pace NU, which missed MVP Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (SEA Games campaign) and four other players (PBA D-League commitment).

oca
11-22-2011, 05:57 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/26237/la-salle-green-archers-jru-heavy-bombers-gain-pccl-final-eight

La Salle Green Archers, JRU Heavy Bombers gain PCCL final eight
By Jasmine W. Payo
10:57 pm | Monday, November 21, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Joshua Webb sustained his strong play as La Salle upset University of Santo Tomas, 72-67, Monday in the stepladder Sweet 16 round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Webb, who topscored for La Salle with 15 points in his last outing, took charge anew by drilling half of his 16 points in a pivotal run that gave the Archers their first double-digit lead, 64-54, in the second half.

“What we’re trying to do is maximize the strength of the team,” said new La Salle coach Gee Abanilla after ousting the Tigers, a semifinalist in the last UAAP wars.
John Lopez and Nate Matute delivered in the clutch as Jose Rizal University ended National University’s run with a 66-62 decision in the first of the knockout doubleheader.
Lopez drained six of his 10 points in the final quarter, including two buffer free throws with just 1.2 seconds left.

La Salle takes on NCAA powerhouse Letran next at 3:30 p.m. today after JRU tangles with Adamson, another UAAP semifinalist, at 1:30 also in San Juan.

Almond Vosotros had 13 points, six rebounds and four assists, while Luigi dela Paz added 12 markers for the Archers. Joseph Marata also found his shooting touch, firing all but one of his 10 points from three-point range.

“I’ve seen a lot of improvement and I just hope we’ll continue on improving,” said Abanilla. “We’ve got a long way to go since right now we’re just starting. But we’re happy about it. The boys are really aggressive.”

John Villarias and Jeckster Apinan delivered similar outputs of eight points and nine rebounds for the Bombers.

“We had lapses in defense,” said JRU coach Vergel Meneses. “NU is a quick and disciplined team, [but eventually] we were were able to contain their fastbreaks.”

The scores:

First Game
JRU 66—Lopez 10, Villarias 8, Apinan 8, Montemayor 7, Monserat 7, Matute 7, Kabigting 7, Almario 6, Carampil 4, Paniamogan 2, Mendoza 0.

NATIONAL U 62—Mbe 13, Javillonar 12, Villamor 8, Labing-isa 8, Roño 5, Singh 4, Alolino 4, Neypes 3, Khobuntin 3, Celda 2.

Quarters: 14-11, 32-26, 51-45, 66-62

Second Game

LA SALLE 72—Webb 16, Vosotros 13, Dela Paz 12, Marata 10, Revilla 8, Torres 7, Tampus 2, Paredes 2, Mendoza 2, Gotladera 0, Sara 0.

UST 67—Ferrer 23, Vigil 9, Lo 9, Sheriff 6, Afuang 6, Abdul 5, Camus 5, Javier 2, Pe 2, Tan 0, Lao 0, Umaria 0.

Quarters: 18-13, 40-39, 64-54, 72-67.

oca
11-22-2011, 06:00 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo
10:57 pm | Monday, November 21, 2011

La Salle takes on NCAA powerhouse Letran next at 3:30 p.m. today (Nov 22) after JRU tangles with Adamson, another UAAP semifinalist, at 1:30 also in San Juan.

Joescoundrel
11-22-2011, 07:15 AM
From the PCCL c/o Inquirer - - -

Joshua Webb sustained his strong play as La Salle upset University of Santo Tomas, 72-67, Monday in the stepladder Sweet 16 round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Webb, who topscored for La Salle with 15 points in his last outing, took charge anew by drilling half of his 16 points in a pivotal run that gave the Archers their first double-digit lead, 64-54, in the second half.

“What we’re trying to do is maximize the strength of the team,” said new La Salle coach Gee Abanilla after ousting the Tigers, a semifinalist in the last UAAP wars.

John Lopez and Nate Matute delivered in the clutch as Jose Rizal University ended National University’s run with a 66-62 decision in the first of the knockout doubleheader.
Lopez drained six of his 10 points in the final quarter, including two buffer free throws with just 1.2 seconds left.

La Salle takes on NCAA powerhouse Letran next at 3:30 p.m. today after JRU tangles with Adamson, another UAAP semifinalist, at 1:30 also in San Juan.

Almond Vosotros had 13 points, six rebounds and four assists, while Luigi dela Paz added 12 markers for the Archers. Joseph Marata also found his shooting touch, firing all but one of his 10 points from three-point range.

“I’ve seen a lot of improvement and I just hope we’ll continue on improving,” said Abanilla. “We’ve got a long way to go since right now we’re just starting. But we’re happy about it. The boys are really aggressive.”

John Villarias and Jeckster Apinan delivered similar outputs of eight points and nine rebounds for the Bombers.

“We had lapses in defense,” said JRU coach Vergel Meneses. “NU is a quick and disciplined team, [but eventually] we were were able to contain their fastbreaks.”

The scores:

First Game
JRU 66—Lopez 10, Villarias 8, Apinan 8, Montemayor 7, Monserat 7, Matute 7, Kabigting 7, Almario 6, Carampil 4, Paniamogan 2, Mendoza 0.
NATIONAL U 62—Mbe 13, Javillonar 12, Villamor 8, Labing-isa 8, Roño 5, Singh 4, Alolino 4, Neypes 3, Khobuntin 3, Celda 2.
Quarters: 14-11, 32-26, 51-45, 66-62

Second Game
LA SALLE 72—Webb 16, Vosotros 13, Dela Paz 12, Marata 10, Revilla 8, Torres 7, Tampus 2, Paredes 2, Mendoza 2, Gotladera 0, Sara 0.
UST 67—Ferrer 23, Vigil 9, Lo 9, Sheriff 6, Afuang 6, Abdul 5, Camus 5, Javier 2, Pe 2, Tan 0, Lao 0, Umaria 0.

oca
11-22-2011, 07:49 AM
16 reasons to watch the PCCL

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/16-reasons-to-watch-the-pccl

AnthonyServinio
11-22-2011, 10:49 AM
The Adamson Falcons and Coach Leo Austria have a big challenge today. After playing their PCCL match against Jose Rizal which could end at around 3:30 PM, they have to rush back home to the Adamson Gym where they are slated to play a PBA D-League game as Freego Jeans at 4:00 PM. By coincidence, a couple of Jose Rizal cagers are also part of the Freego roster.

This is another big argument in favor of banning college students from commercial ball unless they forfeit their remaining eligibility just like in the MICAA days of old. NO TO PART-TIME STUDENT ATHLETES!

greenarcher
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
This is what happens when there is no coordination between leagues.

In the evening there's the MBL Invitational for UST, Lyceum and Letran.

Joescoundrel
11-22-2011, 11:21 AM
^ Might also be a function of the burgeoning rivalry between ABS CBN Sports and AKTV. Still, you're right about the coordination issue, ampanget ng ganito. As a college team though, Austria and Adamson should have booked their PCCL schedule as priority over their D League schedule.

oca
11-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Synchronization of schedules will do. Ano ba naman yung huwag maglaro ang D-League on the playdays of the PCCL rd of 16.

Before, the PABL/ PBL adjusted its calendar and didn't have any conference that coincided with the NCAA and UAAP. The D-League practically followed the same calendar, though it won't be easy since the D-League doesn't hold games during PBA game days. Pero kung mga-uusap, mahahanapan yan ng paraan.

To ban varsity players from commercial ball works to the advantage of programs that can give hefty allowances to their players if only to keep them eligible. Paano na yung mga di ganon kayaman na program? We can expect a great number of 4th and 5th year eligible players to skip their remaining years to play commercial ball for the obvious reasons.

FYI, when the NCAA and UAAP eased the rule on players wanting to play commercial ball, one of the major reason was --- tumataas ang drop out rate ng players who forfeited their remaining eligibility. Of course there is the obvious shorter turn-over of players but maintaining the teams during the 80s wasn't as expensive now. Kaya more of "altruistic" yung pinayagan nila maglaro ng commercial ball ang mga bata.

Sa panahon ngayon, we cannot be too idealistic about college ball. The reasons are obvious.

easter
11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Why was this thing scheduled running into conflict with the SEA Games? Wala tuloy coverage. How do they expect college teams to take the PCCL seriously?

fujima04
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
PCCL Updates:

AdU defeated JRU, 73-58

CSJL defeated DLSU, 66-61

AnthonyServinio
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
It looks like the Adamson Falcons and Coach Leo Austria will have a similar problem this Thursday. Their PCCL game at The San Juan Arena with San Sebastian will end at around 3:30 PM and then they have to rush to the Trinity University Gym along E. Rodriguez to play a PBA D-League game as Freego Jeans against DUB Unlimited at 4:00 PM.

KingRedLion
11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
LAGARE!

I hope these student-athletes would still be able to balance school, playing ball and family lives. I hope na talagang naga-guide sila ng mabuti.

But I agree na dapat talaga may coordination among all tourneys and organizers. One government mandated and recognized body. But again, produkto ng too much politicking at greed kaya hindi maayos-ayos.

CSJL edges out DLSU once again. I'm quite surprised. Considering na very stacked ang lineup ng Green Archers. But of course, basketball is a team game.

gfy
11-22-2011, 08:20 PM
DLSU had 5 players not playing including de la Paz who was injured yesterday while Letran played with their full roster including Kevin Alas. Re UST, Fortuna's pg skills were sorely missed while Teng's scoring would have also helped.

oca
11-23-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/adamson-letran-down-separate-foes-to-enter-pccl-quarterfinals

Adamson, Letran down separate foes to enter PCCL quarterfinals
InterAKTV · Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Adamson and Letran barge in the next round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League after posting contrasting victories at the FilOil-Flying V Arena.

The Falcons weathered an early challenge from Jose Rizal University for a 73-58 victory while the Knights drew big games from Kevin Alas, Kevin Racal and Mark Cruz to eliminate La Salle, 66-61.

Both teams are one win away from clinching a spot in the semifinals of the annual tournament that determines the best collegiate team in the country. Already in the final four are UAAP champion Ateneo and NCAA titlist San Beda.

To make the semis, Adamson must beat San Sebastian on Thursday and Letran will have to defeat Far Eastern University to arrange a one-game showdown in Ormoc next week.

Austin Manyara and Jan Colina keyed a fourth quarter separation as the Falcons turned a 49-48 lead with barely seven minutes left into a 68-53 advantage five minutes later. Manyara finished with 16 points on 12-of-15 shooting from the charity stripe and nine rebounds. Colina had six of his eight points in the crucial final canto.

The Falcons won despite having players leaving at halftime to join their PBA D-League team in order to avoid losing by forfeiture. Most of the Falcons are suiting up for Freego Jeans in the ongoing Aspirants Cup.

Ironically, JRU also had two Freego players in big man Jeckster Apinan, who topscored with 17 points in a losing effort, and John Lopez.

Coach Leo Austria had to send some of his players to the Adamson gym for Freego’s 4 p.m. game.

“Yung ibang players, parang iniisip nila na we have a game after this but I told them that this is still our priority meaning student first before commercial league,” said Austria.

The Knights pulled away in the third quarter behind the outside shooting of Cruz who finished with 11 points while Racal made it 61-50 on a split from foul line halfway through the fourth quarter.

But the Archers, under new coach Gee Abanilla, answered back with nine straight points, capped by a jumper by Almond Vosotros with 3:06 remaining to pull within 61-59.

However, the comeback fell short as Alas scored off a screen for a 63-59 edge, 1:22 left, before the stingy Letran defense took over down the stretch to end La Salle’s semis bid.

Alas, who was playing in his first and only PCCL match this year, and Racal finished with 14 points each.

Alas is set to leave for the United States on Wednesday to begin his month-long training with the Los Angeles Slam of the American Basketball Association.

Coach Louie Alas will accompany his son in the trip, thus leaving the reigns to the coaching staff led by Kris Reyes.

DLSU’s Norbert Torres had 16 points, nine boards and three blocks in a losing effort.

oca
11-23-2011, 06:57 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/26389/adamson-ousts-jru-letran-gives-la-salle-the-boot

Adamson ousts JRU; Letran gives La Salle the boot
By Jasmine W. Payo
10:15 pm | Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Austin Manyara sparked a fourth-quarter swing to lift Adamson past Jose Rizal University, 73-58, in the stepladder Sweet 16 round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Tuesday at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Manyara, the Kenyan center who finished with a game-high 19 points and nine rebounds, took charge in a key breakaway that put the Falcons ahead for good, 60-49, after a slim 49-48 lead.

Letran also sent the spunky La Salle packing as the quartet of Mark Cruz, Kevin Alas, Kevin Racal and Raymond Almazan powered the Knights to a 66-61 victory in the second game.

Alas drilled 14 points, the last on a key layup with 80 seconds left after the Archers cut down their 61-50 advantage to just a basket, 61-59. Racal shared scoring honors with 14, while Cruz unloaded all of his 11 points in the second half.

Dominating the paint anew, Almazan posted a remarkable 17 rebounds and seven blocks to go with his 10 markers.

“Our rebounding keyed the win and we were also able to stop their (Archers) transition,” said Letran coach Louie Alas.

Despite the absence of two injured stars, The Falcons thrived behind Janus Lozada, who had 14 points, 11 boards, five assists and three steals and Jerick Cañada, who chipped in 10 markers.

Adamson also took advantage of a crucial fourth-quarter stretch where the Falcons converted five free throws off a pair of technical fouls slapped on JRU coach Vergel Meneses and player Ralph Monserat.

The scores:

First Game

ADAMSON 73—Manyara 16, Lozada 14, Cañada 10, Colina 8, Camson 7, Cabrera 6, Etrone 4, Brondial 4, Manuel 2, Alvarez 2, Olalia 0, Petilos 0, Rios 0, Monteclaro 0, Agustin 0.

JRU 58—Apinan 17, Kabigting 13, Villarias 10, Monserat 4, Lopez 4, Matute 3, Almario 3, Paniamogan 2, Mendoza 2, Tiongco 0, Montemayor 0.

Quarters: 13-18, 25-27, 48-40, 73-58

Second Game

LETRAN 66—Racal 14, Alas K. 14, Cruz 11, Almazan 10, Cortes 6, Lituania 5, Gabawan 2, Espiritu 2, Pantin 2, Belorio 0, Alas J. 0.

LA SALLE 61—Torres 16, Mendoza 9, Vosotros 8, Revilla 8, Tampus 6, Webb 6, Marata 4, Paredes 3, Gotladera 1.

Quarters: 13-15, 25-29, 47-42, 66-61

oca
11-23-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=751160&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Falcons seal showdown versus Stags
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated November 23, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - Caught up in a tight playing schedule, Adamson University flexed just enough muscle to whip Jose Rizal, 73-58, and advance into the next phase in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) Sweet 16 stepladder knockout playoffs at The Arena in San Juan yesterday.

Kenyan center Austin Manyara unloaded seven points in a 17-4 fourth-quarter run that all but sealed it for the Falcons, whose coach and key players had to rush to the AdU gym immediately after the game to join Freego Jeans in the PBA D-League.

“We’re happy we won considering some of the players were thinking about our game for Freego, which was just one hour away. We were down in the first half and I told my players to concentrate on this game (PCCL) because this is our priority, student (league) first before commercial (league),” said Austria.

The Adamson and Freego mentor, in fact, sent Lester Alvarez, who suffered a toe injury in the first half, Roider Cabrera and Rodney Brondial to the Falcons’ gym ahead of the others.

Manyara (16 points, nine rebounds), Janus Lozada (14 points, 11 rebounds, five assists) and Eric Camson (seven points, 13 rebounds) finished the match and followed suit, as did the JRU players in the Freego lineup, Jeckster Apinan (17 markers) and John Lopez (four points, 10 rebounds).

The Falcons forged a duel with NCAA runner-up San Sebastian tomorrow, facing the same predicament of another game set in the D-League.

The Bombers actually stormed ahead to 20-15 against a Falcons team that’s apparently conserving energy for their next assignment of the day.

In the second game, Letran nipped La Salle, 66-61, to advance against UAAP Season 74 runner-up Far Eastern.

Kevin Alas drilled in 14 points, including a clutch basket that gave the Knights a 63-59 cushion going to the last 1:22, in his valedictory before leaving for the US for a month-long training with American Basketball Association team LA Slam.

Raymond Almazan dished off a near-triple-double with 10 points, 17 rebounds and seven blocks to complement Alas and the 14 points of Kevin Racal and 11 of Mark Cruz.

“This is a bonus win for us because we haven’t really been training together. Our practice is in conflict with that of the players’ D-League teams and as I promised them after the NCAA, I won’t force them to practice with Letran,” said Knights coach Louie Alas, who will also be gone for a month to be with Kevin and the family in the US.

oca
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/adamson-letran-down-separate-foes-to-enter-pccl-quarterfinals

Adamson, Letran down separate foes to enter PCCL quarterfinals
InterAKTV · Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Knights pulled away in the third quarter behind the outside shooting of Cruz who finished with 11 points while Racal made it 61-50 on a split from foul line halfway through the fourth quarter.

But the Archers, under new coach Gee Abanilla, answered back with nine straight points, capped by a jumper by Almond Vosotros with 3:06 remaining to pull within 61-59.

However, the comeback fell short as Alas scored off a screen for a 63-59 edge, 1:22 left, before the stingy Letran defense took over down the stretch to end La Salle’s semis bid.

That 3qtr was fun to watch.

From a 4-pt deficit Letran ended the qtr leading. This lead was built with Kevin Alas on the bench due to foul trouble. Tentative ang karamihan sa Knights sa offense and if not for their patented physical defense malamang nilamangan pa rin sila ng Archers ng mas malaki. But anytime you overcome a deficit at any stretch of the game with your main man on the bench talagang tataas ang confidence mo. Yun ang nangyari in that stretch in the 3qtr.

But that 3qtr surge by Letran was aided in part by the coaching of La Salle. Mark Cruz scored 8 or 9 pts in that quarter and about 6pts were on consecutive possessions. Guarding him was Vosotros. If you have seen Cruz play from his Jr days as a Squire, alam mong magaling "bumulong" yan sa kalaban. The kid got into the nerves of the usually cool Vosotros. Every time Cruz scores, Vosotros would ask for an isolation at their possession and try to even up with the former. On each instance-- about 4 isolations-- Vosotros failed to score. Natawagan pa nga ng charging si Vosotros that had Cruz gesturing-- pointing fingers at his temple obviously saying "utak lang". Ayun umabot pa ng 10 ang lamang ng Letran at one pt in the 3rd.

Hindi na nga nilabas, hinayaan pa mag-on-one! Hinayaan lang si Vosotors kahit sumablay na sa unang dalawang isolation na hiningi niya. Cruz may be short and at a disadvantage, pero kung pikon na ang katapat niya sira na rin ang diskarte nun. Sino na ang may advantage?

FEU kontra Letran bukas, maganda mapanood ano mangyayari kay Romeo pag nabulungan ni Cruz. Tolomia is a level headed player to be affected. RR Garcia usually doesn't get affected either by trash talk. Si Romeo at Cruz ang marquee match up sa larong ito. ;D

oca
11-23-2011, 08:08 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/26389/adamson-ousts-jru-letran-gives-la-salle-the-boot

Adamson ousts JRU; Letran gives La Salle the boot
By Jasmine W. Payo
10:15 pm | Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

Adamson also took advantage of a crucial fourth-quarter stretch where the Falcons converted five free throws off a pair of technical fouls slapped on JRU coach Vergel Meneses and player Ralph Monserat.

The scores:

First Game

ADAMSON 73—Manyara 16, Lozada 14, Cañada 10, Colina 8, Camson 7, Cabrera 6, Etrone 4, Brondial 4, Manuel 2, Alvarez 2, Olalia 0, Petilos 0, Rios 0, Monteclaro 0, Agustin 0.

JRU 58—Apinan 17, Kabigting 13, Villarias 10, Monserat 4, Lopez 4, Matute 3, Almario 3, Paniamogan 2, Mendoza 2, Tiongco 0, Montemayor 0.

Quarters: 13-18, 25-27, 48-40, 73-58

Eto ang laro na sinira ng mga referees.

That technical on Meneses was triggered by a non-call on an Adamson backing violation. Pero bago pa ryan, marami nang non-calls ang ininireklamo ang JRU. Yung non-call na lang sa backing violation ang hindi pinalampas ni Meneses. Di nakapagpigil si Meneses, he gestured as if babatukan ang ref ng dumaan sa harap niya. ;D ;D ;D ;D That backing that was not called was very crucial as JRU was rallying and forcing that turnover may have put more pressure on the Falcons and built momentum in favor of the Bombers.

Yung technical naman kay Monserat was, imo, an "imagined technical". An obvious judgement call that can be called a wrong judgement call. Monserat fouled a shooting Manyara. Manyara fell on the floor, Monserat faced the ref questioning the call with Manyara at his feet behind him. Napaatras si Monserat at nahakbangan si Manyara -- yun ang tinawagan ng technical. Wala namang prior incidents between the two para bigyan ng "malice" ng refs yung mahakbangan si Manyara.

Ganon pa man, Adamson was clearly a better team than JRU. Pero kung ikaw ay nanonood, you wouldn't want the refs spoiling what could have been an exciting 4th qtr.

Joescoundrel
11-25-2011, 09:32 AM
^ Ironically, Ka Oca, Jon Lopez and Jecster Apinan headed straight for the Adamson Gym to play alongside the Falcons for Freego right after this game... ;D

Joescoundrel
11-25-2011, 09:33 AM
From the PCCL Media Center c/o Philstar - - -

Stags outlast Falcons, duel Knights next

San Sebastian got stretched to the limit by Adamson but got the huge lift from its “Big 3” as the Stags edged the Falcons in overtime, 85-83, to move closer to a Final Four slot in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at FilOil Flying V Arena yesterday.

Given relief from their duties with NLEX in the PBA D-League, Ronald Pascual (29 points, 16 rebounds), Calvin Abueva (24 points, 22 rebounds) and Ian Sangalang (18 points, 13 rebounds) delivered the goods as SSCR advanced to the next phase of the Sweet 16 stepladder playoffs.

The Stags will face the Letran Knights in a knockout match for the second and last Final Four berth in the Luzon-Metro Manila bracket Wednesday at the Ormoc Astrodome in Ormoc City.

Mark Cruz and Raymond Almazan filled up for the absence of team leader Kevin Alas as Letran thumped Far Eastern, 73-64.

Cruz erupted for 25 points to go with two rebounds and four assists while Almazan made 14 markers, 16 rebounds and six blocks as the two combined in a 10-0 windup that settled the issue for the Knights.

Letran played without Alas, who is currently in the US to train with American Basketball Assiciation (ABA) team Los Angeles Slam.

After failing to finish off the tired but stubborn Falcons despite a six-point lead in the last 16.2 seconds of regulation, the trio went to work at the start of extension, conspiring in a 9-2 blast that pushed the Stags ahead, 83-76, 2:23 left.

The ever resilient Falcons threatened to within 80-83 on a putback by Rodney Brondial and a fastbreak play of Jeric Canada with still 31.3 seconds before Pascual gave them more breathing room, 85-80, on freebies off Roider Cabrera’s preemptive foul, 11.9 ticks left.

“We only prepared for one day and only had a complete roster to practice yesterday (Wednesday) so we were sluggish in the first half,” said SSC coach Topex Robinson, whose wards fell behind by 11-26 early in the second canto.

“I told them in the second half to focus on making defensive stops and let our defense feed our offense,” he added.

Pascual, who just recovered from intestinal flu, banged in four triples, including two in the third as SSC wrested the lead, 56-55.

The Stags took hold of the upperhand until 16.2 ticks mark of the fourth, when Abueva drove in for a 74-68 tear.

As if not playing a second outing over at the D-League immediately after this match, Adamson unleashed its long bombs, courtesy of Canada (7.5 seconds) and Cabrera (2.2), to send the game into OT.

SSC could have won it outright but Sangalang’s alleyhoop off Abueva pass rimmed out as time expired.

Canada unloaded 21 points, including five of the team’s 13 triples, to pace AdU, which rushed to the Trinity Gym to play as Freego Jeans in the D-League.

Sam Miguel
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
From Inquirer ___

PCCL: Webmasters, Olympians collide in Ormoc

The University of Cebu Webmasters and the STI Olympians tangle Tuesday in the Visayas-Mindanao leg of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Ormoc Astrodome in Ormoc City.

The winner of the knockout duel between the Webmasters, back-to-back champions of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi), and the Olympians, who topped the Mindanao regional qualifier, will take on the survivor of the match between Southwestern University and the Visayas regionals titlist.

Fighting for the Visayas slot at presstime were Iloilo champion University of Iloilo and Leyte titlist AMA Computer Learning Center.

The top two teams in the Visayas-Mindanao leg will then dispute a Final Four slot tomorrow with the winner earning the title of Southern Islands overall champion.

NCAA teams San Sebastian and Letran will contest the other semifinal slot for Luzon-Metro Manila also tomorrow after going through a grueling stepladder Sweet 16 in Manila.

As winners of the country’s top two college leagues, the four-time UAAP champion Ateneo Blue Eagles and the NCAA king San Beda Red Lions earned outright Final Four slots.

The Final Four starts on Dec. 5 at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan. The games will be aired live on Studio 23.

Sam Miguel
12-01-2011, 07:18 AM
From Inquirer ___

Fajardo helps Webmasters rip Olympians

Junmar Fajardo put up a monster performance of 49 points and 24 rebounds as University of Cebu toppled a tough STI side, 99-90, to arrange a showdown with Southwestern University in the PCCL Sweet 16 Finals at the Ormoc Astrodome in Ormoc City yesterday.

Fajardo dominated the paint and crashed the boards with impunity although the Webmasters, the CESAFI back-to-back champions, had to toughen up at endgame to fend off the stubborn Olympians and set up a duel with the SWU Cobras for the Southern Islands overall championship.

The Cobras beat the Visayas champion AMA Titans, 90-61, in the other game with Justin Aboreda firing 21 points and Eleazar Armecin adding 15 points.

Von Tambeling hit 18 points and Amora Jonathan added 17 markers for the Titans.

The UC-SWU showdown is a repeat of the recent CESAFI championship series won by the Webmasters.

UC took a 39-34 lead at the turn but STI, behind Rob Tamporong, threatened within one at 67-68 before Fajardo took over.

Luigi Bercede backed Fajardo with 15 points while Tamporong topscored for the Olympians with 38 points with Jun Daanoy adding 21 markers.

UC, managed by Atty. Baldomero Estenzo, is the defending Southern Island champion, while SWU is eyeing for a seat in the Final Four in its maiden appearance in the Sweet 16 Finals.

San Sebastian and Letran are also in Ormoc City to clash for the Luzon-Metro Manila bracket title and a seat in the Final Four where Ateneo and San Beda have been seeded.

The Final Four is set to start Dec. 5 at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The games will be covered live by ABS-CBN Sports on Studio 23.

The PCCL National Collegiate Championship is backed by Smart, M.V. Pangilinan, Molten Balls, FilOil Flying V and SM Ticketing.

genom222
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
2011 Sweet16 Game Schedule
TEAMS (Light Uniform vs. Dark Uniform)

Ormoc City Astrodome

29-Nov-11
Game 9 2PM Southwestern U Cobras vs. AMA Titans (Visayas Champion)
Game 10 4PM UC Webmasters vs. STI Olympians (Mindanao Champion) - UC won

30-Nov-11
Game 11 2PM SSC-R Golden Stags vs. Letran Knights
Game 12 4PM Winner Game9 vs. Winner Game10 (Southern Islands Championship)

FINAL 4 ROUND ROBIN
Fil Oil FlyingV Arena, San Juan City

5-Dec-11
Game 13 - 2PM University of Cebu Webmasters vs. Ateneo Blue Eagles
Game 14 - 4PM San Sebastian Stags vs. San Beda Red Lions

6-Dec-11
Game 15 - 2PM Ateneo Blue Eagles vs. San Sebastian Stags
Game 16 - 4PM San Beda Red Lions vs. University of Cebu Webmasters

8-Dec-11

UAAP – NCAA Juniors Dual Meet
(Benefit of Kapit Bisig Para sa Pasig)
2PM FEU Juniors vs. CSB Juniors (UAAP Runner-up) (NCAA Runner-up)

Game 17 - 4PM University of Cebu Webmasters vs. San Sebastian Stags

9-Dec-11

UAAP – NCAA Juniors Dual Meet
(Benefit of Kapit Bisig Para sa Pasig)
2PM NU Juniors vs. San Bed Juniors (UAAP Champion) (NCAA Champion)

Game 18 - 4PM Ateneo Blue Eagles vs. San Beda Red Lions

12-Dec-11
Game 19 - 2PM Team Rank 3 vs. Team Rank 4 (BATTLE FOR THIRD PLACE)
Game 20 - 4PM Team Rank 1 vs. Team rank 2 (CHAMPIONSHIP FOR TEAM RANK 1)

15-Dec-11
Game 21 - 3PM RUBBER MATCH (If Team Rank 2 Win Game 20)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: SSC won 83-76 against Letran while UC defeated SWU 63-58. I'll update the Final 4 schedule with the winning teams. Buti pa ang Wikipedia updated, yung PCCL site wala man lang updates kahit score man lang.

oca
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticle.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=69&articleid=754181&keyword=sp_pba

SSC, UC reach Champs League Final 4
(The Philippine Star) Updated December 02, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - San Sebastian College pulled off a come-from-behind 83-76 win over Letran while University of Cebu outlasted Southwestern University, 63-58, to complete the Final Four cast of the PCCL (Champions League) National Collegiate Championship by winning over separate opponents at the Ormoc Astrodome, Ormoc City.

Calvin Abueva fired 26 points while Ian Sangalang added 21 markers as the Stags overcame a 34-47 deficit at the half to pound out the victory and herald their return to the Final Four.

Jam Cortes shot 23 points for Letran, which sorely missed the services of top gunner Kevin Alas.

Reymond Almazan and Kevin Racal stepped up to fire 13 points for the Knights, who simply cracked in the face of the Stags’ strong finishing kick.

In the other game, Junmar Fajardo powered his way to 19 points and hauled down 16 rebounds as the Webmasters, the reigning back-to-back CESAFI champions, captured their second straight Southern Islands championship.

Eleazar Armacin fired 26 points and had five rebounds for SWU.

Meanwhile, the Final Four will start Monday at the FilOil Flying V Arena, San Juan with defending champion Ateneo taking on UC and San Beda renewing its rivalry with SSC.

The games will be aired live by ABS-CBN Sports on Studio 23.

The PCCL National Collegiate Championship is supported by Smart, M. V. Pangilinan, Molten Balls, FilOil Flying V and SM Ticketing.

oca
12-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Round-robin-semis na sa Lunes. 4pm game SBC kontra SSC-R.

In light of the Friday incident, di malayong madala dito yung init sa isyu. We can expect the Stags to sympathize with Gorayeb and Ms.Crisostomo and someone stupid may just blindside Marcelo.

I hope the referees-- I think it is BRASCU-- are up to the task of keeping the game under control.

Sa huling NCAA season, games between these two teams were very physical. A few of the Stags were consistent in initiating those hard contacts. The Red Lions in general were kept under control by their coach and doesn't retaliate in the same manner. Though I recall one instance Dave Marcelo was called for a technical when he raised his elbows and swung it. Yun lang ang natatandaan kong wayward action from a Red Lion at nagkataong si Marcelo pa na involved din sa incident kahapon.

-The referees officiating this PCCL are not exposed to high intensity atmosphere like the NCAA or UAAP. Malaking question mark para sa akin how they'll manage this game.
-I know of 3 players from SSC-R who can be stupid to do something stupid to mar any ballgame.
-Marcelo must not be too sensitive with every hard contact that he gets. Let Frankie take it up with the refs. Let the refs make the call.

Pagsamahin mo yang tatlong factors na yan, if the game is not managed well, you've got mayhem waiting to happen.

Well, for once the PCCL may get the mileage it so desires, albeit for the wrong reasons.

LION
12-03-2011, 07:52 AM
^ Since this is just the PCCL, a free-for-all is possible since there will be no fear of sanctions from the NCAA.

oca
12-03-2011, 08:37 AM
^ Since this is just the PCCL, a free-for-all is possible since there will be no fear of sanctions from the NCAA.

Not exactly correct, pareng LION.

The NCAA teams in this tournament are official representatives of the league to the PCCL, hence the NCAA can impose disciplinary action on any untoward incident if they think it is warranted.

In fact, imo, if MANCOM meets this weekend and decides to suspend Dave Marcelo for Monday's game vs Baste or for the duration of the PCCL, it can impose that sanction. (Nowhere is it reported that Frankie threw a punch, kaya si Marcelo lang ang binanggit ko.)

Please take note, Friday's incident took place during an official NCAA event, involving players and coaches who are members of the league. The incident should not be viewed as having took place during a volleyball game. It is first and foremost an NCAA event. Hence, all individuals involved who are either player, coach or official of any NCAA team are within the ambit of the NCAA rules.

Would a NCAA disciplinary action be warranted?

It is reported Dave Marcelo threw a punch on Gorayeb. That act merits disciplinary action. They can disallow him from attending any official NCAA event from hereon. That is possible. They can disallow Dave from playing for the RL on games/ tournaments where SBC is representing the NCAA.

By extension, the NCAA teams in the PCCL are there by way of an official agreement between the NCAA and the PCCL. Kaya nga kahit ayaw ng ibang teams na sumali at malamig sila sa PCCL they are compelled to played because of that agreement. They are official representatives of the league. Hence, any action by the NCAA can and will effect the teams.

But will the NCAA take that course?

Kutob ko, Oo. (I hope not because I just want to see a good basketball game, and a heavily depleted RL team will be a mismatch against the opposition.)

LION
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM

The NCAA teams in this tournament are official representatives of the league to the PCCL, hence the NCAA can impose disciplinary action on any untoward incident if they think it is warranted.

In fact, imo, if MANCOM meets this weekend and decides to suspend Dave Marcelo for Monday's game vs Baste or for the duration of the PCCL, it can impose that sanction. (Nowhere is it reported that Frankie threw a punch, kaya si Marcelo lang ang binanggit ko.)

Please take note, Friday's incident took place during an official NCAA event, involving players and coaches who are members of the league. The incident should not be viewed as having took place during a volleyball game. It is first and foremost an NCAA event. Hence, all individuals involved who are either player, coach or official of any NCAA team are within the ambit of the NCAA rules.

It is reported Dave Marcelo threw a punch on Gorayeb. That act merits disciplinary action. They can disallow him from attending any official NCAA event from hereon. That is possible. They can disallow Dave from playing for the RL on games/ tournaments where SBC is representing the NCAA.

By extension, the NCAA teams in the PCCL are there by way of an official agreement between the NCAA and the PCCL. Kaya nga kahit ayaw ng ibang teams na sumali at malamig sila sa PCCL they are compelled to played because of that agreement. They are official representatives of the league. Hence, any action by the NCAA can and will effect the teams.

Kutob ko, Oo. (I hope not because I just want to see a good basketball game, and a heavily depleted RL team will be a mismatch against the opposition.)

Thanks for the clarification, oca. Huwag naman sanang ma ban si Frankie. After all, he did not instigate the incident. That could qualify as a mitigating circumstance hence, should lessen the sanction. Gorayeb, being the instigator (he threw the first punch), should be the first to be banned. He has no mitigating circumstance to invoke.

oca
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the clarification, oca. Huwag naman sanang ma ban si Frankie. After all, he did not instigate the incident. That could qualify as a mitigating circumstance hence, should lessen the sanction. Gorayeb, being the instigator (he threw the first punch), should be the first to be banned. He has no mitigating circumstance to invoke.

I purposely made no mention of any possible action on Gorayeb dahil ang topic natin dito ay PCCL. Disciplinary actions on Dave Marcelo or Frankie Lim affects the the participation of the RL in this PCCL, at malinaw naman walang pakialam si Gorayeb sa PCCL. But yes, I agree, the SSC-R coach should be meted disciplinary action as well.

Btw, NCAA rules require one day prior notice to convene the MANCOM. If they did the paper work today and deliver the notices, the earliest the MANCOM can officially meet is Monday.

Maraming magmumuni-muni ngayong weekend. Tiyak mas maraming haka-haka. ;D

maroonmartian
12-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Maiba naman po tayo. Went to the Arena to watch the volleyball games. And of course I saw the ticket price for the event. Napa :o Ako. FYI

P100-UpperBox
P200-LowerBox

Malabo ako manood bukas. Good luck to all the teams (San Beda and San Sebastian).

ESCALERA JR.
12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
With all the brouhaha going on, all eyes will be on the 2 NCAA teams playing on Monday.
This is gonna be one exciting match ;)

atenean_blooded
12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Maiba naman po tayo. Went to the Arena to watch the volleyball games. And of course I saw the ticket price for the event. Napa :o Ako. FYI

P100-UpperBox
P200-LowerBox

Malabo ako manood bukas. Good luck to all the teams (San Beda and San Sebastian).

Do you know how seating will be arranged?

Will it be how the UAAP tends to seat its teams (each team getting one side along the length of the court), or how the NCAA seats its teams (each team side is behind one goal, and spreads outward from there until a meeting point is reached somewhere along the length of the court)?

maroonmartian
12-04-2011, 10:00 PM
^ The Arena is just a 5,000k Arena.Very small so I assume you would know where your schools side is.Parang hinati sa 4 sides.Well more of 2 sides. After one school drummer group ends their game, the other take their place. Bigayan. I think its a free seating except maybe the ringside.

From a blog:http://www.carloricohermoso.net/blog.php?cat=28&num=10

http://www.carloricohermoso.net/images/random/490/03.jpg

The Orange seats cost P100 while the Blue cost P200.

danny
12-05-2011, 02:49 AM
With all the brouhaha going on, all eyes will be on the 2 NCAA teams playing on Monday.

Apparently, some Ateneans just gave us a hint that Gorayeb's Tau Gamma frat will retaliate. Maybe the Tau Gamma of Ateneo and Baste will be there? If something terrible will happen, and the TAU GAMMA will be involved, will this site be included in the investigation?

Let's see. Good old days are here again. ;D

As recommended, I got a bottle of Wolf Blass.

oca
12-05-2011, 06:53 AM
^ The Arena is just a 5,000k Arena.Very small so I assume you would know where your schools side is.Parang hinati sa 4 sides.Well more of 2 sides. After one school drummer group ends their game, the other take their place. Bigayan. I think its a free seating except maybe the ringside.

During the step-ladder phase cost of admission was: Free Admission for the Orange section, P100 for the Blue, P200 for the courtside.

This Final 4, will not be surprised kung tumaas yan.

oca
12-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Dapat mag request na ang organizers sa host city ng police detail during the remaining playdays. Though alam kong di deterent ang police presence sa mga taong may intent manakit, still mas madali mako-control ang gulo if they have the right numbers.

Joescoundrel
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
I spoke to Dave Dualan of Fil Oil and he said they have coordinated with the San Juan city government to beef up security throughout the PCCL Final 4.

Speaking of Final 4, ibang klase talaga 'yung Junmar Fajardo ng UC. I think he's way better than Greg Slaughter in terms of individual skill, quicker and more agile, bettter feet, better shooter nga lang si Greg.

Sayang 'yung SWU Cobras. Maipag at mahusay naman dun 'yung Abouti (?) nila, pati sina Rene Pacquiao at Armecin.

atenean_blooded
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm aware that the arena is small and all I have to do to find my school's side is look for where my school's band is. But that doesn't really answer my question.

Anyway, I asked because the seating during the Fil-Oil matches struck me as rather strange, until I started seeing it in the NCAA games. I think the Fil-Oil games also had free seating except for the ringside sections.

clutchjedi
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
What rule does the PCCL follow on roster size?

I believe most leagues follow FIBA rules i.e. 12-man roster, but the UAAP, for instance, allows a 16-man roster where all 16 can play in the same game. Not sure for the NCAA.

As a basketball fan, it seems more proper to me (competition-wise) if all PCCL teams were required to follow the same standard 12-man roster rule...but I don't think that's being done right now? :)

oca
12-06-2011, 05:25 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=755446&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Ateneo routs UCebu; fight mars SSC-SBC
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated December 06, 2011 12:00

MANILA, Philippines - Ateneo dished out a superb all-around game and demolished University of Cebu, 100-53, while San Sebastian overpowered an undermanned San Beda in a fight-marred contest, 87-72, as they closed in on the final berths in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Final Four at The Arena in San Juan City yesterday.

Seven-footer Greg Slaughter rekindled his old rivalry with 6-10 Junmar Fajardo and won it convincingly, coming through with 18 points and 11 rebounds as the defending champion Eagles posted their first win in the crossover format semis phase of the annual meet.

The top two teams after the single round robin semis will dispute the championship with the No. 1 squad gaining a twice-to-beat advantage.

Fajardo, who scored 49 points in their recent game in Leyte, didn’t see much action due to injury but still churned out 12 points and nine boards for the reigning Cebu champions.

But while the Ateneo-UC game lacked excitement, fierce NCAA rivals San Sebastian and San Beda provided much of the action, including a bench-clearing melee.

With 2.11 minutes left in the game and the outcome already beyond recall, reigning NCAA MVP Calvin Abueva got into some shoving match with Rome dela Rosa, triggering a bench-clearing incident that resulted in the ejection of practically all the bench players of both squads.

San Beda center Kyle Pascual elbowed Abueva on the nape and tried to hit the latter seconds after. Then the SSC gunner shoved SBC guard Anjo Caram, sparking a near free-for-all with Lions and the Stags storming onto the court, forcing league commissioner Joe Lipa to toss everyone out.

After the ejection of those involved in the scuffle, only seven players from San Beda and five from San Sebastian, including Ronald Pascual, who sustained a knee from a bad fall in the fourth period, were left on the court.

The rest were thrown out, including Abueva, who had a solid, all-around effort with 19 points, 10 rebounds and five assists before his ejection, and Kyle Pascual.

“Bumabawi lang kami (we were just getting even),” said Ian Sangalang, who led the Stags with 20 points, 11 boards and three assists.

San Sebastian did get back at recent NCAA finals tormentor San Beda and the Stags might have even exacted some revenge from a separate incident Friday where SSC volley coach Roger Gorayeb and libero Mae Crisostomo sustained injuries.

San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson, who shook hands with SBC mentor Frankie Lim, said the issue should stop after this game.

“We don’t want the game to end that way, it’s really something we don’t want to happen in the first place,” said Robinson. “I told my players before the game we’re basketball players, we’re here to win games.

“We’re not boxers, we’re not UFC fighters, we’re basketball players,” he added.

For Lim, who missed main men Garvo Lanete, Jake Pascual and Sudan Daniel due to various injuries, said giving it their best shot was enough for him.

“We played without some of our best players but it’s okay. We gave it our best, that’s all that mattered,” said Lim.

oca
12-06-2011, 05:27 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/27903/pccl-ateneo-handily-defeats-university-of-cebu

PCCL: Ateneo handily defeats University of Cebu
By Celest R. Flores INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines—Ateneo barely broke a sweat in the 100-53 dismantling of University of Cebu Monday in the final four of 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Arena in San Juan.

Quickly turning the match into a rout, the Blue Eagles got a headstart in the round-robin semifinals with the two best teams advancing to the finals of the nationwide collegiate tournament.

In the clash of the towering centers, the seven-foot Greg Slaughter got the better of the 6-foot-11 June Mar Fajardo in the anticipated match-up with 18 points, 11 rebounds and a block.

“We got off to a good start. We played well defensively, but not offensively,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black, who is fresh off a championship in the 26th Southeast Asian Games.

Ateneo also showcased swift ball movement as they registered 28 assists compared to UC’s 12 and limited its turnovers to just nine compared to 17.

UAAP finals MVP Nico Salva also delivered 18 points while the lanky JP Erram, who gave the Blue Eagles it’s biggest advantage at 99-48 at the tailend of the game, added 13 points and two rebounds.

Ateneo, hoping to retain its title in the PCCL this year, will shoot for the number one spot which will have a twice-to-beat incentive in the finals.

Fajardo, who will be playing for the San Miguel team in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) this coming January after his stint with the UC Webmasters, scattered 12 points and hauled down nine boards in the 14 minutes he spent in the court.

“Fajardo is a very good player. He’s played well every game I coached against his team,” added Black.

oca
12-06-2011, 05:29 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/pccl-san-sebastian-beats-san-beda-in-ejection-filled-game

PCCL: San Sebastian beats San Beda in ejection-filled game
Reuben Terrado, InterAKTV · Monday, December 5, 2011 · 6:40 pm

San Sebastian defeated San Beda, 87-72, Monday but not before both teams engaged in a bench-clearing incident at the PCCL National Championship semifinals at the Fil Oil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Stags rolled in the second quarter and led the rest of the way to kickstart their campaign in the final four, a round-robin tournament to determine the national champion.

But emotions ran high when eight players were ejected led by Calvin Abueva and Kyle Pascual, who figured in a scuffle on a rebound play with two minutes and 10 seconds remaining in the game.

San Sebastian’s AJ Vitug, Michael Miranda, Krushev Ferrer and Joshua Grilli and San Beda’s Ryusei Koga and Michael Sorela were also ejected in the match for leaving their respective benches.

Security personnel quickly came in to separate players from the two teams to prevent any further untoward incident.

The game was days removed from an incident between both schools when San Sebastian women’s volleyball coach Roger Gorayeb was punched in the eye during a melee with the San Beda men’s basketball team last week during the NCAA women’s volleyball tournament.

Aside from security, policemen were also deployed in the venue, as requested by league organizers, to avoid any incident from happening in and out of the playing court.

“It’s highly-emotional not just for the players but for the community,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson. “Same goes I guess for San Beda and we have to respect their side also.”

“I told my players that we are basketball players and we are here to win basketball games. We are not boxers or UFC fighters so I tried to avoid that altercation but I can only do much.”

Robinson also apologized for the melee. “It was also on me that I wasn’t able to control my players,” he added.

San Sebastian got a measure of revenge after being swept in the NCAA finals by San Beda, which played without Garvo Lanete, Jake Pascual, AJ Semerad and David Semerad for various reasons.

“It’s agood to win after the NCAA finals. But we can’t discredit the hearts of the players who were left. San Beda gave us a good fight despite missing several of their key players,” Robinson said.

Ian Sangalang tallied 20 points, 12 rebounds, three assists and a block while Abueva had 19 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Ronald Pascual had 15 points before leaving the game with an injured left knee.

Rome Dela Rosa had 13 points while Melo Lim added 10 for the Red Lions. Dave Marcelo had seven points and seven blocks for San Beda.

oca
12-06-2011, 05:30 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ateneo-clobbers-university-of-cebu-to-open-pccl-semis

Ateneo clobbers University of Cebu to open PCCL semis
Reuben Terrado, InterAKTV · Monday, December 5, 2011 · 5:52 pm

The much-anticipated tiff between Ateneo’s Greg Slaughter and University of Cebu’s Junmar Fajardo became a Slaughter and Nico Salva show.

Slaughter had 14 of his 18 points in the first half and Salva, the UAAP finals Most Valuable Player, posted 13 of his 18 points in the third quarter as Ateneo thrashed UC, 100-53, Monday in the PCCL National Championship semifinals at the Fil Oil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Slaughter-Fajardo match-up was an afterthought when the Blue Eagles showed their might over the Webmasters to take their first win in the round-robin final four tournament.

Thanks to torrid shooting from the field, the Blue Eagles romped to a 28-10 lead in the first quarter then closed out the first half with an 11-0 run with Fajardo sitting on the bench.

Fajardo only played 14 minutes because of an injured right knee and was sitting on the bench for most of the second half when the game’s outcome had already been decided.

“We got off to a good start. I thought that we played well defensively but I never thought that we will play this well offensively,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black in his first game back with the school after leading the Sinag Pilipinas national to the gold medal in the 2011 Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia.

The game looked very similar to the SEA Games as the Blue Eagles limited the Webmasters to nine points in the third for an 82-39 advantage entering the fourth.

The lead reached 51 points on a lay-up by JP Erram near the end of the match.

Fajardo had 12 points, nine rebounds and a steal but made an impact in the limited minutes he saw action.

There was a juncture when Fajardo and Slaughter, his former tormentor in the CESAFI league in Cebu, were exchanging baskets in the second period.

“From what I’ve saw, he is nursing an injury that’s why he didn’t play that much in the game. I figured they are saving him for their next games,” said Black.

“Fajardo is a very good player. I’ve coached against him for the fourth time and he has played very well in those games,” said Black.

Joescoundrel
12-06-2011, 08:44 AM
JUnmar Fajardo had 12 points and nine rebounds in only 14 minutes of action while hampered by a gimpy knee, awesome...

The_Big_Cat
12-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Speaking of Final 4, ibang klase talaga 'yung Junmar Fajardo ng UC. I think he's way better than Greg Slaughter in terms of individual skill, quicker and more agile, bettter feet, better shooter nga lang si Greg.

Agree with you Joe. Junmar has the better post-up and face-up moves than Greg. The footwork reminds me of a young Asi Taulava.

With San Beda missing key players and San Sebastian missing probably the most athletic shooting forward in all of college basketball today, Ronald Pascual, I guess the coast is clear for Ateneo to bag PCCL trophy yet again.

oca
12-07-2011, 05:50 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=755914&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Stags clip mighty Eagles, gain No. 1 spot
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) December 07, 2011 12:00

MANILA, Philippines - San Sebastian battled back from 12 points down in the stretch and stunned defending back-to-back champion Ateneo, 70-69, yesterday to clinch the top spot and the twice-to-beat edge in the finals of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at The Arena in San Juan City.

The Stags choked the Eagles with their rugged defense while Calvin Abueva played true to form and keyed SSC’s fightback with a series of baskets to complete the stunning reversal over the most fancied team in the fold.

San Beda, for its part, leaned on Rome Dela Rosa’s 25-point explosion as it turned back University of Cebu side, 83-77, to remain in the title hunt.

The Stags, who also beat the Red Lions, 87-72, in a fight-marred game Monday, thus clinched the top berth regardless of the outcome of their match against the Webmasters tomorrow.

The Lions, on the other hand, tied the Eagles at 1-1 with the NCAA and the UAAP champions clashing in the knockout match at the close of the single round semis Friday for the right to meet the Stags in the finals.

“We had a lot of fastbreak points and Rome (Dela Rosa) hit his shots to seal the victory,” said San Beda coach Frankie Lim, who steered the team to victory even without key players Garvo Lanete, Jake Pascual, the Semerad twins Anthony and David and Sudan Daniel.

Junmar Fajardo fired 24 points and hauled down 14 rebounds but the 6-10 UC center failed to hit the shots that mattered in the stretch as the Webmasters bowed out of contention with a 0-2 card.

The Stags erased a 12-point deficit early in the final period with their defense and clutch plays by Abueva but only clinched the win after Ateneo’s Kirk Long’s heave from way out at the buzzer was nullified by referees via instant replay.

“I’m honored and humbled beating the No. 1 collegiate team in the land and a champion coach in Norman Black,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson.

Abueva scattered seven of his 20 points in the last six minutes and spiked his game-long brilliance with 11 rebounds. Ian Sangalang backed him up with 18 points.

Ateneo, which smothered the Webmasters, 100-53, Monday, looked headed for another cruise after posting leads of 12, the last at 65-53 on JP Erram’s jumper with a little over six minutes to go.

But the Stags silenced the Eagles in a five-minute stretch while scoring 13 straight points - aided by a flagrant foul by Greg Slaughter on Michael Miranda - to seize a 66-65 lead going into the final two minutes.

Slaughter, who struggled in the fourth quarter in the face of a pesky SSC defense, tied it at 66 with a free throw - his lone point in the period - but a basket by Sangalang and two free throws by Jovit dela Cruz, who had 11 points, gave San Sebastian a four-point cushion.

Long, however, hit a triple to put the Eagles within one and, after a split by Sangalang, could’ve won it with another trey.

Game officials, however, nullified the shot as slow-mo replay showed the ball was still on Long’s hand as time expired.

The scores:

First Game

San Sebastian 70 – Abueva 20, Sangalang 18, Dela Cruz 11, Balacunag 8, del Rio 5, Miranda 4, Maiquez 2, Vitug 2, Ferrer 0

Ateneo 69 – Slaughter 16, Salva 13, Ravena 12, Long 9, Erram 8, Austria 6, Monfort 3, Chua 2, Golla 0, Gonzaga 0, Tingson 0

Quarterscores: 17-17, 32-32, 53-58, 70-69

Second Game

San Beda 83 – Dela Rosa 25, Villahermosa 15, Amer 14, Solera 7, Caram 7, Lim 6, K. Pascual 4, Marcelo 2, Pontejos 2, Koga 1

UC 77 – Fajardo 24, Pao 17, Heruela 14, Ampoon 10, Bercede 7, Mohammad 5, Batino 0, Aranas 0, Auditor 0

Quarterscores: 20-22, 36-35, 57-56, 83-77

oca
12-07-2011, 05:52 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/san-sebastian-defeats-ateneo-clinches-pccl-finals-berth

San Sebastian defeats Ateneo, clinches PCCL finals berth
Reuben Terrado, InterAKTV · Tuesday, December 6, 2011 · 6:35 pm

San Sebastian College held Ateneo to only one field goal in the last six minutes of the game, as the Stags defeated the UAAP champion and defending titlist Blue Eagles, 70-69, Tuesday in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League national championship at the Fil Oil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The win assured the Stags, the runners-up in the Season 87 NCAA basketball tilt, a twice-to-beat advantage in the finals of the tournament. San Sebastian clinched the finals incentive after claiming its second win in the round-robin semifinal tournament following its 87-72 win over NCAA champion San Beda Monday.

The Stags turned to Calvin Abueva and Ian Sangalang in the final moments of the game. The duo scored seven of the team’s last nine points to overhaul a 65-53 deficit with 6:06 to play and escape with the win.

“I told them to take this opportunity of trying our luck against the number one collegiate team in the country,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson.

Abueva had 20 points and 11 rebounds while Sangalang added 18 points and six rebounds for the Stags.

Ateneo uncharacteristically fell into a long drought late in the game and San Sebastian took advantage.

Abueva knocked in a running shot for a three-point play before giving the Stags a 66-65 lead with a lay-up with 1:50 left in the game.

Greg Slaughter tied the game after splitting his free throws, but Abueva issued a drop pass to Sangalang for a short stab that pushed the lead to 68-66 with 54 seconds remaining.

Jovit Dela Cruz increased the Stags lead to four points, 70-66, on two free throws with 10.8 seconds left. But Ateneo cut the deficit to one point on a three-pointer by Kirk Long with 6.2 seconds on the clock.

After Sangalang missed two free throws with 4.6 seconds left, Long banked in a three-pointer to end the game. But the shot was nullified after a video review showed that the shot was hoisted after the buzzer.

“We played every possession, made good defense and didn’t force our shots. We valued our every possession,” said Robinson on his team’s comeback.

Slaughter was even called for an unsportsmanlike foul for elbowing Michael Miranda at the 3:27 mark of the fourth quarter.

Slaughter had 16 points, seven rebounds and two blocks, Nico Salva had 13 markers and Kiefer Ravena added 12 for Ateneo.

The Stags missed the services of Ronald Pascual, who sustained a tear on his left ACL against the Red Lions. It is his second ACL injury after his right knee got injured during his high school days in Adamson.

“We are seeking a second opinion but he still has time to recover in time for the NCAA season,” said Robinson.

oca
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28005/pccl-san-sebastian-makes-the-finals-ateneo-san-beda-fight-for-last-spot

PCCL: San Sebastian makes the finals; Ateneo, San Beda fight for last spot
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—San Sebastian squeaked past defending champion Ateneo, 70-69, to nail a spot in the finals of the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at The Arena in San Juan.

San Beda, meanwhile, gained steam in the fourth quarter to rule over University of Cebu, 83-77, and kept its chances of setting up a finals meet with nemesis San Sebastian.

The Stags, spearheaded by NCAA’s reigning MVP Calvin Abueva, went on a crippling 17-4 run to seal the victory versus the Blue Eagles and also be the twice-to-beat advantage in the finals.

San Sebastian locked the incentive because of the win-over-the-other rule in case of tie breaks.

Abueva powered his way through with 20 points and 11 rebounds as he shouldered the cudgels for San Sebastian, which lost Ronald Pascual to a possible Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) tear in the win over the Red Lions Monday.

The Red Lions, who will have to conquer the Blue Eagles on Friday for the remaining slot in the finals, fended off the pesky UC Webmasters and leaned on impressive showing of guards Rome Dela Rosa, Mar Villahermosa and Baser Amer, in the fourth quarter.

Dela Rosa finished with a game-best 25 points, along with six rebounds and five assists for San Beda, which played sans star guard Garvo Lanete, Jake Pascual and the Semerad twins.

oca
12-08-2011, 06:39 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28149/stags-eye-pccl-semis-sweep-vs-webmasters

Stags eye PCCL semis sweep vs Webmasters
9:32 pm | Wednesday, December 7th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Already assured of a finals berth, San Sebastian shoots for a sweep of the single-round semifinals against University of Cebu Thursday in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Stags hope to keep their sharp form in the 4 p.m. duel against the Webmasters as they gear up for the championship round where they hold a twice-to-beat advantage.

While the Stags can afford to take it easy after back-to-back victories, UAAP champion Ateneo and NCAA titlist San Beda will still duke it out for the other finals berth on Friday.

The championship match is slated Monday.

“I’m going to tell the boys to win as much as we can and take it from there,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson, whose team will be playing its third game in four days.

The Stags rallied from 12 points down in the final six minutes to nip the Eagles, 70-69, Wednesday with Calvin Abueva and Ian Sangalang combining for 38 points.

San Sebastian will continue to miss ace guard Ronald Pascual who has been sidelined for the next six months because of an anterior cruciate ligament tear he sustained last Monday against San Beda.

Guards Jovit Dela Cruz and Anthony del Rio are expected to fill the void left by Pascual.

The Webmasters – the Southern islands champion – are hoping to salvage what’s left of their campaign after losses to Ateneo and San Beda eliminated them from the title race.

Junmar Fajardo, still hobbled by an injury on his right knee, will be at the forefront of the Webmasters’ assault. Fajardo had 24 points and 14 rebounds in the 77-83 loss to San Beda last Tuesday.

UC coach Roel Gomez is also pinning his hopes on Edward Pao and Brian Heruela, who combined for 31 points against the Lions.

oca
12-08-2011, 06:41 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=756234&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

SSC battles UC in 'practice' game
(The Philippine Star) Updated December 8, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - With the top slot and the twice-to-beat advantage already secured, San Sebastian is still expected to go all out against winless University of Cebu today for the needed momentum heading to the Philippine Collegiate Champions League finale at The Arena in San Juan City.

The Stags downed two collegiate champions, the NCAA’s San Beda Lions, 87-72, in a fight-marred game last Monday, and then rallied from behind to shock the UAAP’s Ateneo Eagles, 70-69, last Tuesday.

The twin wins assured SSC of the coveted slot regardless of the result of its 4 p.m. showdown with UC.

“We want to ride that winning momentum coming into the finals so a win will be great for us,” said SSC coach Topex Robinson.

The Webmasters, for their part, are already out of the race with a 53-100 blowout loss to the Eagles and a 77-83 defeat to the Lions.

But UC is also tipped to come out strong to salvage some measure of pride with 6-10 Junmar Fajardo expected to lead the Visayan champion team’s charge.

Against San Beda, Fajardo scored 24 points and hauled down 14 rebounds but failed to draw solid support from the rest of the Webmasters.

Ateneo and San Beda, meanwhile, close out the single round robin semis tomorrow in a virtual showdown for the other finals berth.

“We’re a team without some of our key players but we’re still in it and we’ll give it our best to get it,” said Lim.

oca
12-09-2011, 05:58 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=756673&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

W'masters rout Stags; Eagles, Lions eye berth
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated December 09, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - University of Cebu buried San Sebastian with an avalanche of triples and ran away with a 92-71 romp yesterday to close out its semis stint in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at The Arena in San Juan City.

The Webmasters cashed in on the Stags’ lackluster game having clinched the top seeding and the twice-to-beat advantage in the finals with Edward Pao leading the attack with seven triples to finish with 25 points. Robinson Mohammad added six treys and wound up with 20 points while Junmar Fajardo added 20 points, 12 rebounds and three shot blocks.

“I told my players that my secret is to make at least 300 triples or more a day,” said UC coach Roel Gomez, the former PBA three-point shooting champion with 11 championships, including a grand slam with Alaska.

“I also trained them to establish their footing first, visualize their target and just fire without unnecessary moves,” said Gomez, whose wards torched the Stags with a league-best 16 triples.

After beating UAAP champion Ateneo (70-69) and NCAA titlist San Beda (87-72), San Sebastian opted to conserve its strength for the finals and let the Webmasters, who lost to the Eagles and the Lions, run the show.

Reigning NCAA MVP Calvin Abueva paced the Stags with 17 points he spiked with nine rebounds and four assists while Ian Sangalang finished with nine points and five rebounds.

Meanwhile, Ateneo and San Beda dispute the other finals berth at 4 p.m. today with the winner squaring off with San Sebastian for the crown on Monday.

The Webmasters and the Stags actually combined for 14 triples in the first half with the former making eight as the Visayan champions took a 47-45 lead at the turn.

Earlier, Far Eastern U-Ferns defeated La Salle-Greenhills, 85-77, in a high school charity game benefiting the cleanup project of Pasig River.

oca
12-09-2011, 06:02 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28205/blue-eagles-red-lions-eye-pccl-finals-berth

Blue Eagles, Red Lions eye PCCL finals berth; UC stuns San Sebastian
By Cedelf P. Tupas Philippine Daily Inquirer 7:00 pm | Thursday, December 8th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—It’s a rare meeting between two former rivals in the NCAA with no less than a spot in the finals of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) at stake when Ateneo, the UAAP champion, and NCAA kingpin San Beda collide Friday at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Gametime is at 4 p.m. with the Eagles’ hopes of a third straight title hanging in the balance against the Lions, who could forge an all-NCAA finals against San Sebastian with a win today.

Ateneo prevailed in a knockout semifinal duel with San Beda en route to the 2009 title.

The format was changed this year to a round-robin semifinals with the Eagles and Lions ending up in this do-or-die scenario after losing their games to an inspired San Sebastian team.

Ateneo and San Beda hold 1-1 records with their victories coming at the expense of University of Cebu.

The Webmasters finally nailed their first win Thursday, sizzling from beyond the arc to whip the uncaring Stags, 92-71.

The loss hardly mattered for the Stags, who will face the winner of the Ateneo-San Beda clash on Monday, enjoying a twice-to-beat bonus in the title playoffs.

The Webmasters buried a tournament-high 16 three-pointers with Edward Pao shooting 25 points, including 7-of-12 from the three-point line and Mohammad Robinson adding six triples on his way to 20 points.

The Webmasters’ 6-foot-10 center Junemar Fajardo delivered another big game with 20 points and 12 rebounds, while burly guard Brian Heruela flirted with a triple-double firing 12 points, dishing out 10 assists and grabbed eight boards.

The Webmasters’ win marked the first time in four years that a Cebu team won in the semifinal phase of the PCCL in Manila.

The scores:
UC 92—Pao 25, Robinson 20, Fajardo 20, Heruela 12, Bercede 12, Auditor 3, Ocariza 0, Batino 0, Ampoon 0.

SAN SEBASTIAN 71—Abueva 17, Ferrer 9, Sangalang 9, Vitug 9, Grilli 8, Del Rio 6, Miranda 4, Dela Cruz 4, Balacunag 3, Maiquez 2.
Quarters: 22-17, 47-45, 69-57, 92-71

oca
12-10-2011, 05:30 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=756939&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Eagles subdue Lions, face Stags for title
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated December 10, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Ateneo got stuck in weary traffic amid the heavy downpour and arrived minutes before tipoff but still displayed the energy to trample San Beda, 76-63, and advance to the finals of the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Arena yesterday.

Greg Slaughter (20 points, eight rebounds), Kiefer Ravena (18 points, four assists) and Nico Salva (17 points, eight rebounds) delivered as the Eagles finished the round-robin Final Four with a 2-1 card and earned the right to face waiting San Sebastian in Monday’s finale.

The Stags also had a 2-1 record in the semis but secured the top seeding and twice-to-beat advantage owing to their come-from-behind 70-69 victory over the three-peat-seeking PCCL titlist Ateneans earlier this week.

“We are the defending champions, we really want to win the championship to end our long season,” said coach Norman Black, who steered Ateneo to its fifth straight PCCL finals appearance, two months after a “four-peat” romp in the UAAP.

Black was restless minutes before the game as his wards arrived at the venue in trickles.

“We had half the team come in late today just before game because of the rains and the traffic and I was little bit concerned about who will start the game for us,” said Black, who himself managed to enter the Arena some 25 minutes before gametime.

“But I thought we played pretty well today, we played well for 40 minutes, which is really the key,” said Black, whose wards shot a hot 54.2 percent (32-of-59) field goal.

The first few minutes saw Ateneo allow the Red Lions to seize a 7-0 lead. But Ravena, Slaughter and Salva led a counter-assault for a 23-19 lead that the Eagles stretched to 47-31 halfway through the second. They never relinquished the upperhand from there.

However, Black admitted that “it was not very pretty (all the way), particularly in the end when we committed a lot of turnovers but at the same time, our defense held up. That’s something that did not happen in our (previous) game against San Sebastian.”

Such spate of errors enabled the Red Lions to threaten at 51-57 on a triple by Baser Amer, 8:14 left, but fortunately for Black, Ravena and Co. responded with an 17-7 salvo that gave Ateneo a fresh 16-point bubble at 74-58, 1:21 left.

The battle of champions was actually not even from the start as SBC played without injured starters Garvo Lanete (shoulder) and Jake Pascual (bum stomach), and twins Anthony and DJ Semerad, who have left the team after their NCAA conquest.

Mar Villahermosa, filling in for Lanete, fired 21 points spiked by three triples to pace SBC while Rome dela Rosa added 14.

Earlier, NCAA juniors titlist San Beda Red Cubs trounced UAAP counterpart National U Bullpups, 92-76, with Francis Abarcar exploding for 29 big points.

The three-peat champs Cubs also drew double-digit production from Arvin Tolentino (14), Van Adam Abatayo (12) and Daryl Nazareno (10) to get the better of the Bullpups in the one-game exhibition for the benefit of the “Kapit Bisig Para sa Ilog Pasig.”

oca
12-10-2011, 05:32 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28431/blue-eagles-arrange-duel-against-stags

Blue Eagles arrange duel against Stags
By Jasmine W. Payo Philippine Daily Inquirer
8:53 pm | Friday, December 9th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines — In this showdown of varsity champions, Ateneo just had more arsenal to show.

The super trio of Greg Slaughter, Kiefer Ravena and Nico Salva got to work early as the Blue Eagles dismantled San Beda, 76-63, to claim the last title berth in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Friday at the FilOil-Flying V Arena.

“We played well for 40 minutes which was really the key,” said coach Norman Black after his Eagles booked their fifth straight Finals stint in the nationwide tournament.

“But it was not really pretty, particularly in the end game, when we made a lot of turnovers.”

By then, however, the Eagles held a comfortable 68-55 lead going into the final four minutes after leading by as much as 16 points, 47-31, over the back-to-back NCAA champion Lions.

The seven-foot Slaughter had his way often for a team-high 20 points and eight rebounds in the knockout duel.

Ravena pumped in 18 markers on top of three boards and four assists and Salva also had 17 points and eight rebounds to help the four-time UAAP champions keep the Lions at bay.

“Our defense held up, which was something we did not have against San Sebastian,” said Black of the Eagles, whose only loss in the round-robin semifinals came against the Stags, 70-69, last Tuesday.

The Eagles, however, need to hurdle the Stags twice in the championship round to claim their third straight title.

Although Ateneo and San Sebastian wound up tied at 2-1 in the semifinals, the Stags nailed the

No. 1 spot, which comes with a twice-to-beat Finals advantage, due to the winner-over-the-other rule.

The Stags will vie to become the first NCAA team to claim the tournament crown on Monday at 4 p.m. also in San Juan.

San Beda and University of Cebu, tied at 1-2, will dispute the third spot at 2 p.m.

In a benefit game earlier, the San Beda Red Cubs ripped the National University Bullpups, 92-67, in a battle of junior champions.

NCAA juniors finals MVP Francis Abarcar topscored with 29 points.

The scores:

ATENEO 76—Slaughter 20, Ravena 18, Salva 17, Chua 6, Gonzaga 5, Austria 4, Long 4, Tiongson 2, Golla 0, Pessumal 0, Capacio 0, Erram 0.

SAN BEDA 63—Villahermosa 21, Dela Rosa 14, Marcelo 7, Pascual 6, Amer 6, Lim 5, Caram 4, Solera 0, Koga 0, Pontejos 0.

Quarters: 23-19, 37-28, 55-44, 76-63

bchoter
12-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Was there a Ravena-Baser matchup?

augustine
12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
They were exchanging shots in the 4th, but malayo talaga talent level nila. Cant compare them.

oca
12-12-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=757618&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Eagles eye last feather in their cap
(The Philippine Star) Updated December 12, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Ateneo hopes to end a long, challenging season by seizing 2011’s final cage gem against a San Sebastian team looking to earn some measure of redemption in the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) finals starting today at The Arena in San Juan.

Weary and all, Eagles coach Norman Black said they would go all out for their third consecutive crown in the PCCL, largely considered a showdown among titlists and top-performing schools to determine the best of ‘em all.

“It’s a been a long season, we’ve been playing since the end of March so it’s like looking at a light at the end of the tunnel as far as this year is concerned and that this is hopefully, our final two games coming up,” said Black.

The Blue Eagles have participated in nearly all tournaments last summer, topping the FilOil Flying V Pre-season Premier Cup, before completing their majestic flight to a four-peat in the UAAP.

The hunger factor remains the same, maintains Black.

“We wanna win the championship but at the same time, we’re also looking forward to hopefully getting a little bit of break after this series is over,” he said.

Ateneo, however, goes into the 4 p.m. match with a win-or-go-home predicament as San Sebastian enjoys twice-to-beat advantage in the finale.

The Stags got the incentive after nosing out the Eagles for the top seeding at the end of the round-robin Final Four, their 70-69 win in the stage settling it.

“We know San Sebastian is tough to beat, and they just beat us this week so we have to do something defensively against their high pick and rolls with Calvin Abueva because that’s what really killed us in the end. If we can defend that, we might have a better chance of beating them,” said Black.

Hurdling such one-game disadvantage is not new to Ateneo. The past two years, Eagles dropped the opener of the then best-of-three format finale (to Far Eastern in 2009 and Adamson in 2010) but swept the next two to prevail.

San Sebastian suffered a stinging setback the last NCAA tourney, settling for runner-up honors to San Beda on a year it went 15-0 only to sputter in the end, and this could be the Stags’ chance to redeem themselves somehow.

Coach Topex Robinson, however, viewed this title campaign more as a build up for next year.

“We just want to take this opportunity to assess our lineup for next year,” said Robinson. “We know Ateneo will flex its muscles against us. We just have to value every possession.”

Kicking off the day’s action at 2 p.m. is the battle for third between NCAA kings San Beda and CESAFI boss University of Cebu.

Meanwhile, PCCL chairman Reynaldo Gamboa and ABS-CBN Foundation president Regina Lopez renewed their groups’ partnership for the staging of benefit games for the “Kapit Bisig Para sa Ilog Pasig,” a project aimed at the rehab of the historic river.

Gamboa bared plans to expand the juniors competition to include champions from other regions to challenge the top teams of the UAAP and NCAA.

“A competition similar to the ongoing national collegiate championship would be another boost to the development of school-based basketball programs,” said Gamboa.

oca
12-12-2011, 06:53 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28665/san-sebastian-stags-seek-pccl-crown-vs-ateneo-blue-eagles

San Sebastian Stags seek PCCL crown vs Ateneo Blue Eagles
By Jasmine W. Payo Philippine Daily Inquirer 10:41 pm | Sunday, December 11th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines – The twice-to-beat advantage San Sebastian enjoys over four-time UAAP champion Ateneo in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League in the title playoff doesn’t seem enough for Stags coach Topex Robinson.

After nipping Ateneo in the semifinals, San Sebastian hopes to duplicate the trick in Monday’s Finals with the Stags hoping to become the first NCAA team to rule the nationwide varsity tournament.

Gametime is at 4 p.m. at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

“This kind of tournament is more of a mental game,” said Robinson. “More than the physical toughness, it’s the mental toughness that’s important.”

Robinson said he doesn’t want his Stags to get too confident after their thrilling semifinal triumph over the Eagles, 70-69, where they rallied from 12-points down in the last six minutes last week.

“Hopefully we can come up with the same intensity and aggressiveness against Ateneo,” said Robinson.

San Beda and University of Cebu dispute third place in the opener at 2 p.m.

Ateneo coach Norman Black said the Eagles need to hold up their defense against Calvin Abueva and Ian Sangalang, two of the Stags’ top trio, to force a winner-take-all showdown this Thursday.

The Stags had to do without Ronald Pascual early in the semifinals after the clutch-shooting veteran tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

“We know San Sebastian will be tough to beat,” said Black. “They’ve just beaten us. We have to do something defensively.”

The Eagles are going for a third straight crown in the tournament only four UAAP teams have ruled since its inception in 2003.

Powered by the trio of Greg Slaughter, Kiefer Ravena and Nico Salva, the Eagles wrapped up their semifinal run by downing back-to-back NCAA champion San Beda, 76-63, last Friday to earn a title crack at the Stags.

Both Ateneo and San Sebastian finished the round-robin Final Four with similar 2-1 records, but the Stags claimed the No. 1 spot, which comes with a twice-to-beat incentive, due to the winner-over-the-other rule.

“We are the defending champions so we really want to win,” said Black. “At the same time, it has been a long season. We’ve been playing since the end of March, so it’s like the light at the end of the tunnel as far this year is concerned.”

oca
12-12-2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/with-twice-to-beat-edge-san-sebastian-guns-for-pccl-crown-vs-ateneo

With twice-to-beat edge, San Sebastian guns for PCCL crown vs Ateneo
Reuben Terrado, InterAKTV · Monday, December 12, 2011 · 2:54 am

San Sebastian College seeks to become the first NCAA team to lay claim to the Philippine Collegiate Champions League national championship when it goes up against four-time defending UAAP titlist Ateneo Monday at the Fil Oil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

In the eight-year history of the tournament, only the Stags in 2003 and San Beda in 2006 have come close to taking the crown. Now, the Stags need just one win to beat Ateneo as they hold a twice-to-beat advantage in the championship round.

The Stags have the psychological edge over the Blue Eagles especially after overcoming a 12-point deficit en route to a 70-69 win in the semifinals.

“We know that we will meet them again and I hope that we can show that same intensity and aggressiveness again against Ateneo,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson.

The Blue Eagles are the defending champions of the tournament and are going for their fourth PCCL title in five years. Ateneo coach Norman Black said that they want the year to end on a high note that saw the Blue Eagles extend their dynasty in the UAAP.

“We have been playing since March so we are also at the end of the tunnel as far as our season goes. We want to win but at the same time, we look forward to the break after this series is over,” said Black.

Calvin Abueva torched the Blue Eagles late in their semifinals game with 20 points to orchestrate that comeback win by the Stags.

“The high pick-and-rolls with Calvin Abueva really killed us in the end game so if we can beat that, we have a chance,” said Black.

An Ateneo victory will extend the series to a deciding match slated on Wednesday.

oca
12-13-2011, 05:08 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=757946&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Eagles buck sloppy finish, force do-or-die
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated December 13, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Defending champion Ateneo pulled through in an erratic endgame, outlasting San Sebastian, 56-51, to force a rubber match for the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) title at The Arena in San Juan yesterday.

The Eagles struggled with only one field goal and fell into a spate of errors in the fourth quarter, squandering a seven-point lead before Nico Salva gave them the lift from the stripe and Oping Sumalinog shackled SSC gunner Calvin Abueva to deny the twice-to-beat Stags the crown.

The sudden death is set Thursday.

“The game was not very pretty but as a coach, I mean, you take it any way you can get it. At least it took us to a position wherein we can win the championship again,” said Ateneo mentor Norman Black, obviously drained and relieved after keeping their quest for a three-peat in the PCCL alive and kicking.

“I’m happy we won. It’s not very often you have what I call a defensive struggle wherein neither team can score, both teams turning the ball over, and I guess we just outlasted them in the end,” he said.

The Eagles shot 20 of 57 from the floor (35.1percent) and committed 26 turnovers, which the Stags actually converted to 22 markers. The Stags didn’t do any better with 22-of-71 FG (31percent) and 22 errors, leading to 11 T.O. points for Ateneo.

Black said Ateneo couldn’t handle the zone defense of SSC with its poor perimeter shooting, and only forward Salva made strides with 18 markers on 7-of-10 marksmanship from two-point area.

“Nico normally plays that high-post position against the zone defense and he got a lot of points in that area today. That’s the weakness of the zone and Nico operates very, very well from that position. He produced scores on a day when everybody else struggled and he made a big difference for us in this game offensively,” said Black.

Sumalinog was tapped to put the cuffs on Abueva (16 points), limiting “the Beast” to one point (a foul throw) in the last 3:49. He even forced the SSC star to lose ball possession in a sequence that led to Abueva’s fouling out and a technical foul for banging the referee in protest.

“I thought we have to put a bigger, longer guy (on Abueva) because he’s athletic and very long... I don’t think you really can stop Calvin; the best thing you can do is try to control him a little bit. But he still got 16 points,” said Black.

Meanwhile, San Beda bucked the 24-point, 24-rebound performance of University of Cebu’s behemoth June Mar Fajardo in hacking out an 82-69 win over the Webmasters to finish third.

Rome dela Rosa fired 21 points, including 10 in the fourth that helped the Lions douse cold water on the Webmasters’ comeback bid, along with seven rebounds, as the reigning NCAA champs ended their campaign on a high note.

Mar Villahermosa added 14 markers and five assists to fill in for injured starter Garvo Lanete (shoulder injury), one of key SBC players missing along with Jake Pascual (bum stomach) and the Semerad twins, Anthony and DJ, who left the team after their NCAA triumph.

Dave Marcelo and Kyle Pascual took turns trying who hound the 6-9 Fajardo, who still made 10 of his 17 attempts and grabbed nearly half of UC’s 52-rebound output in 38 minutes of action.

Brian Heruela chipped in 20 markers, including 10 in the payoff period where UC clawed back to within six (65-71) from a high of 11. He also had nine boards and four assists.

For placing third place, San Beda got P100,000 for the school and another P100,000 for members of the Red Lions team. UC netted P50,000 for the school and an extra P50,000 for the squad.

oca
12-13-2011, 05:10 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/28849/blue-eagles-thwart-stags-force-final-pccl-duel

Blue Eagles thwart Stags, force final PCCL duel
By Jasmine W. Payo Philippine Daily Inquirer 9:13 pm | Monday, December 12th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Nico Salva provided the end-game lift Ateneo needed as the Blue Eagles survived a sloppy outing to down the San Sebastian Stags, 56-51, Monday and forge a winner-take-all showdown for the Philippine Collegiate Champions League crown at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Salva unloaded the last four of his game-high 18 points in the final three minutes to push the Eagles back on top after blowing an eight-point lead, 42-34, in the third quarter.

“The game was not very pretty,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black as the four-time UAAP champions uncharacteristically committed 26 turnovers.

“But as a coach you take it any way you can get it. At least it puts us in a position to win the championship again.”

The Eagles, who ruled the nationwide tournament in three of the last four years, try to go all the way against the Stags at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday.

The Stags are also bidding to become the first NCAA team to cop the title. They made it to the finals with a twice-to-beat advantage after nipping the Eagles in the semifinals.

Earlier, San Beda downed University of Cebu, 82-69, to clinch third place and the P100,000 cash prize and another P100,00 worth of athletic goods for the school.

Rome dela Rosa drilled in 21 points built on a notable 9-of-14 clip from the field and grabbed seven rebounds for the NCAA champion Red Lions.

The Webmasters, who also picked up a P50,000 prize, trailed most of the way even with the 6-foot-10 Junemar Fajardo getting away with 24 points, 24 rebounds, three assists and a couple of blocks.

Salva knocked in 10 points in a third-quarter run that gave the Eagles their biggest lead at 42-34 after a tight first half that saw neither team leading by more than three points.

“He really produced for us offensively on a day when everybody struggled,” said Black. “Nico has been one of our most consistent players this year. He usually plays at a high-post position against the zone defense and he got a lot of his points in that area today.”

Calvin Abueva, San Sebastian’s fiery forward, put the Stags ahead for the last time at 50-48 late in the fourth quarter before fouling out with still a minute to go and the Eagles just up by three, 54-51.

Abueva wound up with a double-double of 16 points and 10 boards for the Stags, who again missed the clutch-shooting Ronald Pascual due to injury.
“I guess we just outlasted them,” said Black.

The scores:

First Game

SAN BEDA 82—Dela Rosa 21, Villahermosa 14, Pontejos 9, Pascual 8, Amer 8, Caram 6, Marcelo 6, Lim 5, Koga 3, Solera 2.

UNIV. OF CEBU 69—Fajardo 24, Heruela 20, Mohammad 14, Bercede 9, Aranas 2, Ocariza 0, Batino 0, Ampoon 0, Pao 0.

Quarters: 22-17, 44-36, 61-50, 82-69

Second Game

ATENEO 56—Salva 18, Ravena 10, Slaughter 7, Long 7, Gonzaga 5, Sumalinog 3, Golla 2, Chua 2, Tiongson 2, Austria 0, Erram 0, Monfort 0.

SAN SEBASTIAN 51—Abueva 16, Dela Cruz 11, Sangalang 9, Vitug 9, Del Rio 2, Ferrer 2, Miranda 2, Maiquez 0, Balacunag 0.

Quarters: 11-9, 26-23, 46-39, 56-51

maroonmartian
12-13-2011, 07:31 AM
For those interested to watch the game on Thursday, 15 December 2011, the game will start at 15H30. Same venue at the Fil Oil Flying V Arena.

Ticket price:
P250-Ringside (near the bench)
P150-Lowe Box (the best seats IMO)

The Bleachers I think its free (correct me here).

May dinala na kuya from the province. Let's just say na PBA fan. Was surprised at the the games yesterday. IMO, the two games were classic in the making. Calvin FTW!! Wala talo. :P

Joescoundrel
12-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Gagaling pa 'yung Jovet Dela Cruz ng San Sebastian, good athlete who knows how to find the semas in the defense, needs to develop that jumpshot though, still too streaky.

oca
12-15-2011, 07:10 AM
http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticle.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=69&articleid=758634&keyword=sp_pba

Eagles vs Stags: Dynasty or redemption
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated December 15, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Two teams with contrasting fortunes in their respective mother league – UAAP four-peat champ Ateneo and NCAA bridesmaid San Sebastian – dispute the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) diadem in a rubbermatch that will either cement the Eagles’ dynasty or give the Stags a redemption of sorts.

Gametime is at 3:30 p.m. at the Arena with the Eagles out to put another feather in their cap by copping a third straight PCCL jewel and the Stags seeking to make up for a botched finish to an otherwise banner season in the NCAA by becoming the first national champions from their league.

AdMU coach Norman Black and SSC counterpart Topex Robinson anticipate another struggle in today’s you-or-me showdown, which became necessary after the Eagles outlasted the twice-to-beat Stags last Monday, 56-51.

“We just want to keep the game close and try to take advantage of every opportunity we can get,” said Robinson, still hunting for his first crown with SSC.

The Stags look to hit pay dirt this time after settling for runner-up honors to San Beda despite a blazing 15-0 start in the last NCAA cage wars.

Black said it’s important for his charges to find their shooting range against San Sebastian’s stifling zone.

“They’ve done a great job on their zone defense, getting into the passing lane, cutting off our passing angles. I mean, you always gonna struggle if you don’t shoot well from the perimeter and we have not shot well in the last couple of games, actually,” said Black, ruing their 20-of-57 (35.1 percent) marksmanship and 26 errors.

Firing blanks and turning the ball over, Ateneo went scoreless in the first six minutes of the fourth period and only scored one field goal, a jumper by Kiefer Ravena, in a 10-point final canto.

Nico Salva, the top scorer with 18 points on 7-of-10 clip from the two-point area, made four of his six freebies in the stretch to bail AdMU out.

“You know, as a coach, the game always becomes easier if you can make the outside shot and if you don’t, then everything becomes a struggle. On other side of the ball, you just have to forget about that and just concentrate on defense. In other words, if we can’t score, just make sure they don’t score,” Black said.

Ateneo will also have to find a way to contain SSC ace Calvin Abueva. Black assigned Oping Sumalinog the last time around in place of shorter Kirk Long, but the reigning NCAA MVP still got away with 16 points (6-of-19 FGs) to go with 10 rebounds, three assists and one steal.

Abueva’s stint was down to 27 minutes in the opener, hampered by leg problems and fouling out with 1:04 left after losing possession to Sumalinog and Long. Abueva bumped into the referee in protest, getting a technical foul that was later assessed to the SSC coach.

Winner of the 2011 PCCL will take home the Manny V Pangilinan “Abutin ang Tagumpay” Perpetual Trophy that symbolizes collegiate cage supremacy.

oca
12-15-2011, 07:12 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/29073/ateneo-blue-eagles-battle-san-sebastian-stags-for-pccl-title

Ateneo Blue Eagles battle San Sebastian Stags for PCCL title
By Jasmine W. Payo Philippine Daily Inquirer 12:51 am | Thursday, December 15th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Already replete with stories of success, Ateneo goes for another historic feat against San Sebastian in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Finals Thursday.

The four-time UAAP champion Blue Eagles, despite admitting they are physically tired, aim to become the first team to claim three straight crowns in the nationwide event against the similarly motivated Stags.

“It’s a little bit late in the season and most of these guys are also thinking about a little bit of rest, but hopefully I can motivate them to play their best game,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black.

Game time of the winner-take-all showdown is 3:30 p.m. at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Stags, who claim to be the underdogs despite toting a twice-to-beat edge, find motivation in becoming the first NCAA team to rule the tournament.

“We have to better their best game for us to win against them, that’s really the bottom line,” said San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson.

The Eagles forged a do-or-die title match after outlasting the Stags, 56-51, in last Monday’s game where Black rued his wards’ sloppy performance.

“It’s like there’s no way we can beat them even on our best night,” said Robinson. “But we might pull off a surprise. The pressure is on them.”

Robinson commended his crew, led by the explosive Calvin Abueva, for putting up a strong fight.

“If there’s anything that we can do is just don’t give up,” said Robinson. “There was a point in the third quarter (in Monday’s Finals) when they started to pull away. But just a few possessions, we were back in the game. It was the breaks of the game.”

During the round-robin semifinals, the Stags actually rallied to a 70-69 upset of the Eagles in a victory that helped them claim the No. 1 spot and the twice-to-beat Finals bonus.

Black admitted the Stags had been tenacious on defense against the Eagles, whose core players like Greg Slaughter, Nico Salva and Kiefer Ravena had been playing year-round with their stint with the national team following their UAAP title romp.

“They’ve done a great job in their zone defense,” Black said of the Stags. “They’ve been playing the zone almost 90 percent of the time. They do a good job getting into the passing lanes and cutting off our passing angles.”

The Eagles again expect to have their hands full against Abueva, who got away with 16 points and 10 rebounds in his last outing.

“I don’t think you can really stop Calvin Abueva,” said Black. “The best you can do is try to control him a little bit.”

oca
12-16-2011, 08:23 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=759002&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Stags crush mighty Eagles
By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated December 16, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - This time, there’s no spoiling the San Sebastian Golden Stags’ party. Playing “hard and smart while having fun” as how coach Topex Robinson put it, the Stags finally put the finishing touches to a successful championship run, nipping former back-to-back champion Ateneo, 73-67, to cop the 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) title yesterday at The Arena in San Juan.

Calvin Abueva (20 points, 17 rebounds, three assists, three shot blocks and a steal) and eventual Finals MVP Ian Sangalang (19 markers, 15 boards) stood at the forefront as the Stags hit paydirt two months after falling short in the last NCAA wars.

“It’s just so big for me, I mean I played the number one team in the collegiate ranks in the country (Ateneo) and that’s really a big challenge,” said Robinson, who got his first “victory ride” after SSC became the first NCAA squad to win the PCCL crown, considered the national championship.

The Stags enjoyed twice-to-beat advantage against the Eagles as the top team after the round-robin Final Four but dropped the opener, 51-56. This brought back memories of the NCAA caging, wherein SSC went undefeated through the first 15 games only to stumble in the end and yield the crown to San Beda.

“I was doubting my capabilities after that championship against San Beda. I was telling myself: Is it really for me, are the players really believing in me? I was always thinking of being productive, and this means winning something for them to gain your respect. I guess this victory is something I could hold on to for next year,” said Robinson, lacing this feat with a Best Coach award.

San Sebastian apparently learned from the first outing, not minding the calls this time around and playing their defensive strategies to the letter.

Result: The Stags took control from the second quarter onwards, enjoying leads as many as 12, the last at 47-35 halfway through the third.

The Eagles got to within four 67-71 late in the fourth but Abueva bailed them out with clutch rebounds off Ateneo’s missed triples in two successive plays, drawing a foul and splitting his charities both times.

“I defined our battlecry as play hard on defense, play smart and not be bothered by the calls and have fun winning this championship. We were just so blessed and humbled to be in this situation right now,” said Robinson, whose team won it without a third of their “Big Three,” the ACL-hit Ronald Pascual.

San Sebastian’s 2-3 zone made life difficult for Ateneo anew.

“I always tell them playing zone is a team defense. There’s no way you could play a good zone if you’re not playing as team. I told them you have to communicate, give them different looks coz we want to take (Greg) Slaughter out of this game. By pressuring high, we’re forcing him to go high also, that’s why he wasn’t really a big factor in this championship,” he said.

The 6-11 Slaughter only had 10 markers and five rebounds for an Ateneo team that became vulnerable under the boards. Stats showed a whopping 21-rebound advantage for SSC, 54-33.

For this win, the Stags took home the Manny V Pangilinan “Abutin ang Tagumpay” Perpetual Trophy - a bronze sculpture they would hold for one year - aside from the rewards for the champions, P500,000 for the school and another P400,000 for the team.

Ateneo, titlists the last two years, settled for second-best this time, earning P200,000 (school) and P200,000 (team).

Joining Sangalang and Robinson in the MVP achievement awardees were Mythical Team members Abueva, Nico Salva of Ateneo, Junmar Fajardo of University of Cebu, and Slaughter.

oca
12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/29153/stags-trim-blue-eagles-for-pccl-title

Stags trim Blue Eagles for PCCL title
By Jasmine W. Payo Philippine Daily Inquirer 8:17 pm | Thursday, December 15th, 2011

MANILA, Philippines—Wiping out any doubt, San Sebastian captured the championship that even coach Topex Robinson thought might be improbable to clinch.

The Stags showed solid form throughout to down an erratic Ateneo Blue Eagles crew, 73-67, Thursday at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan and become the first NCAA team to rule the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL).

Calvin Abueva and Ian Sangalang again barreled their way against the four-time UAAP champion Blue Eagles, finishing with double-double figures in the winner-take-all title showdown.

“What a way to end the year,” said Robinson after his Stags, the NCAA runner-up, also foiled the Eagles’ bid for a record third straight crown in the nationwide tournament among the country’s finest collegiate basketball teams.

“I was doubting my capabilities, after that championship [duel] against San Beda [in the NCAA], if [coaching] is really for me and if the players really believe in me.”

But those worries hardly showed as the Stags came out charging in the second period for a 34-22 lead and stayed clear of the Eagles the rest of the way.

Abueva, the fiery forward named to the Mythical Team, had another all-around outing of 20 points, 17 rebounds, three assists and three of the Stags’ four blocks.

Finals MVP Sangalang had 19 points and 15 boards in the Stags’ historic romp in the tournament, where only four UAAP schools have ruled since its inception in 2003.

Ateneo’s own stars just couldn’t find their groove for most of the game as the Eagles, who forged the rubber match with a 56-51 win over the Stags Monday, missed shots they normally made.

Aside from bagging the perpetual trophy, the Stags earned a cash prize of P400,000 for the team and P500,000 worth of sporting goods for the school.

The Stags, who came all the way from the knockout Sweet 16 round, toted a twice-to-beat advantage in the finals after topping the round-robin semifinals.

The Eagles settled for P200,000 for the team and P200,000 worth of goods.

Robinson, who also copped the Best Coach plum on his rookie year, praised his players’ solid defensive effort.

“There’s no way you can play a good zone defense if you don’t play as a team,” said Robinson. “I told them to communicate. We also wanted to take [Greg] Slaughter out of this game, that’s why he wasn’t a big factor this time.”

Slaughter had 10 points and five boards, while Kiefer Ravena and Nico Salva finished with just a combined 12 points for the Eagles.

Abueva, Sangalang, Salva, and Slaughter were named to the Mythical Team along with University of Cebu’s Junemar Fajardo.

The scores:

SAN SEBASTIAN 73—Abueva 20, Sangalang 19, Del Rio 10, Vitug 9, Miranda 6, Maiquez 4, Semira 3, Dela Cruz 2.

ATENEO 67—Long 11, Tiongson 11, Slaughter 10, Erram 9, Monfort 8, Ravena 7, Salva 5, Sumalinog 3, Gonzaga 3, Golla 0, Chua 0.

Quarters: 17-16, 36-29, 57-49, 73-37

oca
12-16-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/san-sebastian-bags-pccl-championship-with-win-over-ateneo

San Sebastian bags PCCL championship with win over Ateneo
Reuben Terrado, InterAKTV · Friday, December 16, 2011 · 12:15 am

San Sebastian College relied heavily on its defense to beat the high-powered Ateneo offense, 73-67, Thursday at the Fil Oil-Flying V Arena in San Juan to emerge as the Philippine Collegiate Champions League national champion.

The Stags became first NCAA team to win the title in the eight-year league against a Blue Eagles team that was aiming for its fourth title in the tournammnt.

San Sebastian coach Topex Robinson said prior to the game that the Stags need to play “better than their best game” in order to win against Ateneo. They did that thanks to their defense.

“I told that for them not to be complacent,” said Robinson. “I told them to push themselves to the limit. I didn’t put pressure on them that much on offense but I was hard on them on defense. We can’t win if we are going to keep on scoring against these guys.”

Calvin Abueva and Ian Sangalang had a field day in the paint for San Sebastian. Abueva, the NCAA Most Valuable Player, had 20 points, 17 rebounds and three blocks while Sangalang, adjudged the finals Most Valuable Player after the game, finished with 19 points and 15 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end.

Kirk Long and Juami Tiongson topscored for the Blue Eagles with 11 points while their key players Greg Slaughter, Kiefer Ravena and Nico Salva were limited to a total of 22 points in the game.

The Stags also outrebounded the Blue Eagles, 54-33.

San Sebastian won the crown by overcoming a 56-51 defeat against Ateneo in game 1 of the finals series wherein the Stags had a twice-to-beat edge.

“More importantly, it was the lessons learned from game 1 that gave us this win. We reacted to every call of the referees but despite that, we lost by a close margin. It’s something that I told them that we don’t have to react on the calls,” Robinson said.

The title was Robinson’s first as a head coach. It came after a disappointing defeat against San Beda in the NCAA championship series.

Scores:

SAN SEBASTIAN 73 — Abueva 20, Sangalang 19, Del Rio 10, Vitug 9, Miranda 6, Maiquez 4, Semira 3, Dela Cruz 2.

ATENEO 67 — Long 11, Tiongson 11, Slaughter 10, Erram 9, Monfort 8, Ravena 7, Salva 5, Sumalinog 3, Gonzaga 3, Golla 0, Chua 0, Austria 0.

Quarters: 17-16, 36-29, 57-49, 73-67

eightyfiver
12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Congrats to SSC!

Sumablay ang organizers sa pagpili ng mythical 5. Tatlong sentro, walang guwardiya? Tsaka bakit ayaw nila ibigay kay Abueva ang MVP ??? hehe

james_ty
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Congrats to SSC!

Sumablay ang organizers sa pagpili ng mythical 5. Tatlong sentro, walang guwardiya? Tsaka bakit ayaw nila ibigay kay Abueva ang MVP ??? hehe

Dahil siguro sa technical foul na tinawagan kay Abueva noong unang game ng finals that Ateneo won.

genom222
12-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Im being biased but i think Rome dela rosa should have been part of the mythical team. Take out either fajardo or one of the ateneans.

The_Big_Cat
12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Im being biased but i think Rome dela rosa should have been part of the mythical team. Take out either fajardo or one of the ateneans.

The Mythical 5 usually comes from the top 3 teams of this tourney. Its the first time I recall a player from a 4th placed team ever to have made it to the Mythical 5.

Whatever momentum and fire the Eagles gained in the UAAP was already gone. Last week ng September ang tapos ng UAAP then start ng PCCL was on the 1st week of December. That is over 60 days of break. To make this interesting for next year, mas maganda siguro gawin na lang sa 1st Semester ang PCCL. In the second semester kasi a majority of players are more focused on other things such as the PBA D-League.

The_Big_Cat
12-17-2011, 09:16 AM
San Sebastian has always fared well in tournaments outside the NCAA. In the late 80s, Baste led by big man Stevenson Solomon defeated Danny Francisco and Ateneo in a battle of back-to-back champions of the NCAA and UAAP.

In the 90s, Baste led by Rommel Adducul edged out UST, which was led by Dennis Espino this time in a battle of sweep teams of the NCAA and UAAP.

The other day, Ian Sangalang took to school the much older and taller Greg Slaughter.

Dark Knight
12-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Ateneo relied too much on trifectas. They should have given the ball Slaughter more often but i think it will be ineffective since Greg is having a bad game. SSC won thru their tenacity and relentless plays. I have no qualms about bueva winning the MVP. He deserves it despite the techs he got. The man is a workhorse. A dennis Rodman type player who is never afraid to get hurt.

First team outside the UAAP to win the PCCL title....and at the expense of Ateneo at that. Damn. ;D

oca
12-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Ateneo relied too much on trifectas. They should have given the ball Slaughter more often but i think it will be ineffective since Greg is having a bad game. SSC won thru their tenacity and relentless plays. I have no qualms about bueva winning the MVP. He deserves it despite the techs he got. The man is a workhorse. A dennis Rodman type player who is never afraid to get hurt.

First team outside the UAAP to win the PCCL title....and at the expense of Ateneo at that. Damn. ;D

Give credit to the zone employed by Baste.

danny
12-20-2011, 02:00 AM
I agree here with xxiocebu. I wouldn't blame the boys who were late. The question here for me is how serious is the Ateneo(actually for all schools for that matter) in wanting to crown a true national champion.

As far as I know, the PCCL has always been for charity. If the PCCL made money, then all good for this objective. However, the main goal of this league is to crown a national champion. In its existence, I believe the PCCL has NEVER met this objective.

In this year, we've seen schools not parading a complete line-up due to commitment with other leagues or other endeavors. As an example, Monfort missed a couple of game for us due to the PBA D-league, RR Garcia was late(came in around the middle of the 2nd quarter) for the same reason as Monfort. Kevin Alas also missed the crucial part of the campaign of Letran due to his training in the US.

Another weird thing is that coaches actually admit in developing for the future rather than giving everything now. I remember Coach Leo saying he wants to give his bench more chance to play as well as Coach Oliver of FEU.

The most committed schools were the VisMin schools, san beda, and baste. Maybe baste's win would awaken the UAAP schools to take the league more seriously.

I just hope the development of the league would be faster and culturally, the schools and its supporters would be more serious. I could see the effort from the organizers of the PCCL to try and make the league prestigious. It's just that the fans are not buying it and it doesn't help if some schools(mostly the UAAP schools) are not making enough effort to make it prestigious.

Merry Christmas!

danny
12-20-2011, 02:02 AM
But interestingly, the Blue Eagles had a complete line-up, the same team from their last UAAP title conquest.

Kung kulang ang team mo dahil sa dami ng injuries, or because of amateur restrictions gaya ng pag-sali sa PBA draft, maiintidihan na valid ang dahilan. 8)

Pero kung sumali ka sa isang tournament na kumpleto line-up mo, pag talo, talo.. period. Kag@guhan yung di siniseryoso.
Honestly, may champion athlete or team ba kayong kilala na kung sasali sa isang torneo, hindi siseryosohin!!?!!!
Anyone who has participated in any form of athletic competition would know that.

But now, if you saw Tito Calvin at nagpasindak ka, naduwag ka.. at baka sumakit katawan mo.. ibang usapan yun.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

oooopppppssss.

toti_mendiola
12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
kups. wahahahaha

The_Big_Cat
12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
The champions of the numerous collegiate tournaments this year.

2011 Fr. Martin Cup Open Division - SAN BEDA

2011 FILOIL PreSeason - ATENEO

2011 Fr. Martin Summer Cup - NU

2011 UAAP - ATENEO

2011 NCAA - SAN BEDA

2011 PCCL - SAN SEBASTIAN