PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Dave Regullano

bugleboy
10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I learned recently that Dave Regullano, the starting center of the champion Letran Knights basketball team of 1970, and one of the pioneer players of the Philippine Basketball Association, died last Oct. 7, 2011, of a heart attack.

Regullano was one of the members of that storied team that beat the De La Salle Green Archers for the crown in 1970. Among the members of that team were Rudy Hines, the brothers Ricky and Molet Pineda (who later on coached the Knights), and Rolly Marcelo. Regullano went on to play for U-Tex and Royal Tru-Orange in the PBA.

Regullano is survived by his wife, Magdalena, the registrar of San Beda College Alabang, and also formerly the dean of the college of arts and sciences of the same school.

Arriba, Dave! Though you have gone ahead to that great basketball court in the sky, we will remember you especially for your exploits for our alma mater.

ESCALERA JR.
10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
David REGULLANO - the lanky center of the 1970 LetranKnights NCAA champions.

I vividly remember the very first LETRAN game i watched as a gradeschooler back in 1970,...nagchampion pa. And the guy being bestowed honors for that Knights victory was the tallest man in the team who turned out to be David Regullano, the same guy who we saw in the early PBA wearing a black pair of Converse Chuck Taylor shoes ;D.

After seeing him again at the gym with the other teammates Hines, Pineda etc..., I became a regular fixture on every Letran NCAA games...magpa-hanggang ngayon-.at walang kasawa-sawang sumusubaybay sa ating Letran Knights.

David Regullano, thank u for the first experience of witnessing a first championship.
May he RIP...Arriba!

MonL
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM
^
I also remember him as I got hooked on the sport in the early 70's. The Coca Cola Company then printed action posters of the 1973 Manila ABC, 1974 Puerto Rico MundoBasket World Championships and Tehran Asiad RP national players. He had his own action poster which listed him as a 6'3' guard-center and it showed him in action against the US national team.

He also played for the San Miguel Braves in the MICAA along with Visayan stalwarts Manny Paner, Yoyong Martirez and Estoy Estrada.

Later in the PBA, he was nicknamed "Twinkletoes" for wearing black Converse Chuck Taylors as a Royal Tru-Orange player.

After his playing career ended I recall that he went on to work in the accounting department at SMC.

He studied for some time at the Ateneo but later on transferred to Letran. He was the subject of a not too flattering anecdote about athletes by then Sports Weekly magazine contributor Julie(Jullie) Yap Daza. However, he disproved Ms. Daza's impression about him in a scathing yet well written letter to the editor some issues later.

Rest In Peace, Dave. You have earned your niche in Philippine basketball history. No one can take that honor away from you.

salsa caballero
10-13-2011, 05:56 AM
One big fight and arriba!, Dave. You will always be the icon in black converse chucks for me. Rest in peace.

Mel
10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
on Dave Regullano studying/playing for Ateneo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inboundpass/1610810258/

sanlo
10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
One big fight and arriba!, Dave. You will always be the icon in black converse chucks for me. Rest in peace.

My sentiments exactly salsa! Dont forget the haircut! You were one of a kind Dave! RIP.