PDA

View Full Version : Short Lived Players

Dark Knight
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Can you please name some players that played 1 or 2 years only from their respective schools.

FEU

Eder Saldua
Jay Sierra
Marc Pingris

i'll think of others pa. I just want to remember them.

bloksterism
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Ateneo

Japeth Aguilar (2004-2005) - moved to the States
Eman Nazareno (2005)
Jumbo Escueta (2010)

DLSU

Brian Ilad (2007)

UE

Mark Fampulme (2007)

bchoter
09-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Short-lived for any reason? Nako sobrang haba nito kasi madaming "short" ang collegiate career dahil sa elibility or coach's choice. Kasama dito si Ronnie Bughao :D

But for thow whose careers were shortened by reasons other than eligibility or qualifications, at the top of the list should be Danny Francisco, who had to forgo his playing years due to health concerns.

Some players who left earlt for the PBA: James Yap, Paul Lee, and Ken Acibar

Did Vince Hizon have playing years left?

muffetteer
09-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Puede ba na dagdagan ng "Careers" sa dulo ang title? Para lang klaro.

Joescoundrel
09-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Vince Hizon to my recollection played only one full season, in the 1993 season I think, and I believe he had at least one more year he could have played.

Jonas Villanueva of FEU played only two years, tama ba Dark Knight?

Ronnie Bughao played I think at least two years for San Beda and then didn't make it for the Ateneo anymore.

Bchoter, how long did Naninga play for you guys?

Jerwin Gaco I think only had two years with Lasalle.

Dark Knight
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
@Sir Bchoter

I thought James Yap and Paul Artadi played 4 years for UE if my memory served me right. Yes any reason why they only played for at least 2 years. Like Gavino and Galinato who took up Masteral at UP played only 2 years for the Maroons.I think. Slaughter will play for only 2 years.

@Sir Joe

Yes, Jonas played for FEU in 2005 and 2006.

@Muffetteer

Ye. Career should be included. My apologies.

bchoter
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I think Jonas Villanueva and Jerwin Gaco only had 2 pleaying years.

Bughao's case was odd because it appears that ADMU failed to take the 7-yrs-out-of -hs rule when they took him in from SBC. This kid's got game.

Naninga, I think only played for 2 seasons. I never really found out why he did not come back for Season 69 where he was eligible to play.

Another player of note whose playing career was cut short not because he ran out of eligibility nor was he undeserving of a slot is BJ Manalo. We all know about his injury woes but it was never clear why he did not play out his eligibility. Injuries also cut short Rob Bornancin's career. But one of the most unfortunate is JR Reyes, who, according to various forums, had disagreements with his coaches on his PBL stint, and focused on his PBA career instead.

yungha
09-19-2011, 11:45 PM
kenneth robin, definitely a pba prospect before those injuries. led the league in rebounding in 2003 i think.

maroonmartian
09-19-2011, 11:54 PM
UP

Joshua Saret(2010)-concentrated on playing in amateur leagues
Socrates Rivera(2007)-where is this kid?
Mica Vainio(2005)-played one year for UP
Axel Doruelo(2005)-graduate student

bchoter
09-20-2011, 01:45 AM
I thought James Yap and Paul Artadi played 4 years for UE if my memory served me right.
Both have one more year of eligibility when they moved to the PBA. I think Yap's decision was hastened by the sacking of Coach Zamar.

Eric Suguitan (6'9") played two meaningless years for UE before he moved to San Beda where he spent 2 meaningless years in Team B.

MonL
09-20-2011, 06:24 AM
I thought James Yap and Paul Artadi played 4 years for UE if my memory served me right.
Both have one more year of eligibility when they moved to the PBA. I think Yap's decision was hastened by the sacking of Coach Zamar.

Eric Suguitan (6'9") played two meaningless years for UE before he moved to San Beda where he spent 2 meaningless years in Team B.

What was saddening about Eric was that his career wasn't short lived: it never did take off. He was tall, had enough skills to crack Team A but had very poor conditioning, particularly upper body strength. It was right about the time during his tour in Team B that Eclipse started to make noise and be recognized for its conditioning programs for pro and amateur athletes. Had Eric been put on a program there, HE would have been Eclipse's first poster boy for strength training for San Beda instead of Anjo Caram.

Joescoundrel
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
^ MonL I think ganun din si Toto Taupa...?

And how'bout the great 6'7" Vince Tinte who was never used in FEU, played a year for Bchoter, and now is reprtedly with Adamson. I think the same thing happened with brawny 6'5" Ken Mamaril, a former San Sebastian Golden Staglet who was part of their 4-Peat dynasty, and another Staglet in Marco Cam.

Wasn't Raffy Gusi also a one-year wonder as a Stag after a distinguished career as a Staglet on that same dynasty?

6'4" Cyron Lozano, like Soc Rivera, lasted all of one season with the UP Fighting Maroons.

MonL
09-20-2011, 10:54 AM
^
Mr. Joe, Kris Taupa was a nice find coming out of FEU's Team B. Unlike Eric, he was a powerful, athletic 4-5 big who can leap right out of a gym; his slammers were of the brute force type. He had just about average skills and would have started on other teams, but his development was arrested or stunted as a result of his being a deep sub all those years on those powerful Red Lion teams in the Sam Ekwe era.

bchoter
09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Eric's family is afflicted with giantism. Just recently, a relative died from heart failure at the age of 28. It was also unfortunate for him to be between 2 coaches both in UE and SBC. He was in UE when Zamar was replaced and was also in SBC when Nash was replaced by Frankie.

AnthonyServinio
09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Robert "Dudut" Jaworski Jr.

duphaR007
09-20-2011, 10:39 PM
bchoter,

si Naninga ba yung big man na maputi from Letran hs? parang Bonel yun kumilos diba? more on komedyante type.

san na si Jumbo Escueta?

genom222
09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
bchoter,

si Naninga ba yung big man na maputi from Letran hs? parang Bonel yun kumilos diba? more on komedyante type.

san na si Jumbo Escueta?

last time I saw Escueta was when I played against him in a league in Dasma village in Makati last summer. Teammates sila ni Cholo Villanueva. Just dont know if he is playing in any commercial league though but he seems conditioned, laking bata rin eh hehe

bchoter
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Yup si Naninga nga yon. Tisoy na mejo blonde. Big boy na mejo mabagal ang foot speed pero mukhang balanse naman kumilos

Joescoundrel
09-21-2011, 07:04 AM
^ Brod si Chandler Donaldson ba nagtagal sa inyo?

Galen Cacha of UP was just a one-year wonder right?

Jojo Lastimosa and Francis Arnaiz were one-year wonders for Ateneo back in the day, maybe Kid Cubao can confirm.

jembengzon
09-21-2011, 07:58 AM
nag two years si jolas :)

Mel
09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't think Marc Pingris ever suited up for a single minute of UAAP basketball?!?

Hooplover
09-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't think Marc Pingris ever suited up for a single minute of UAAP basketball?!?

He did suited up for FEU in 1998 before being ''traded'' to PSBA for Koy Banal,Denok Miranda,Don Yabut,Mark Isip and some fillers....... ;)

bchoter
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
^ Brod si Chandler Donaldson ba nagtagal sa inyo?hindi natangihan ang tawag ng datung sa MBA.

Ano na palang nangyari dun sa PG na Ateneo na si... Matsumoto ba yon?

Si Soc naunsiyami yung residency niya dahil sa kapabayaan. Nag plus one year pa tuloy siya hangang sa tuluyan ng nilisan ang Espana.

Joescoundrel
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
^ Brod, Chris "Sam" Matsumoto eventually went back to Japan after spending about a year and a half and two conferences with our Team Glory B under Coach Gabby Severino. Nakakatuwa kasi nung panahon na 'yon sabay silang nasa Glory B ni Yuri Escueta, and they looked uncannily alike and built alike and pareho pang pointguard. When they were fielded at the same time the opposition thought they were seeing double.

There was this one time, against a non-UAAP school, when one defender was yanking his teammate because apparently that teammate was supposed to cover Yuri. That teammate said he was defending Yuri, and pointed him out. The first defender looked at Yuri then back at Chris and literally had this dumb look on his face, confused as all hell, thinking he had Yuri. Chris then ran a pick-roll with Mark Intal and converted on a layup with that first defender left miles behind still scratching his head... ;D

bchoter
09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
^ And are play-a-likes too

blue scorpion
09-22-2011, 11:14 PM

He did suited up for FEU in 2008 before being ''traded'' to PSBA for Koy Banal,Denok Miranda,Don Yabut,Mark Isip and some fillers....... ;)

2008? Wala na sina Koy Banal, Denok MIranda, Don Yabut at Mark Isip iyon. I think Mark Pingris became pro in 2003. So hindi na siya amateur noong 2008.

bchoter
09-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Was Madamba able to play out his UAAP career?

Hooplover
09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

He did suited up for FEU in 2008 before being ''traded'' to PSBA for Koy Banal,Denok Miranda,Don Yabut,Mark Isip and some fillers....... ;)

2008? Wala na sina Koy Banal, Denok MIranda, Don Yabut at Mark Isip iyon. I think Mark Pingris became pro in 2003. So hindi na siya amateur noong 2008.

ooops....sorry sir,i mean 1998.....anyway,thanks for the immediate attention... ;)

frans031
09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
1999 po naglaro si Marc Pingriss sa FEU.

LaKazTaMa
09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Cno nga b yun younger brother ni Harmon and Jerry Codinera- one season lng yata nag laro sa FEu

jembengzon
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Cno nga b yun younger brother ni Harmon and Jerry Codinera- one season lng yata nag laro sa FEu

si pat cordinera

Hooplover
09-23-2011, 11:06 PM
1999 po naglaro si Marc Pingriss sa FEU.

ah ok,its time to take MEMORY + GOLD ;)

Hooplover
09-23-2011, 11:15 PM
How about FEU's one year ''wonder'' boys Jay Sierra and Eder Saldua........and not so ''wonder'' Jaymo Eguilos and Casey Caluag?

Joescoundrel
09-27-2011, 06:55 AM
^ Jay Mo Aguilos I think played two UAAP seasons and spent something like another two years on FEU B. Casey Caluag was truly just one and done to my recollection, and he was also an FEU B fixture for at least a year.

Bchoter if you are talking about Asiong Madamba I think he played only two seasons with the Adamson Falcons.

true.blue
10-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Ateneo: Francis Arnaiz, Joy Cleofas, Marte Samson, Steve Watson, Danny Francisco
DLSU: Julie Lim?

MonL
10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Ateneo: Francis Arnaiz, Joy Cleofas, Marte Samson, Steve Watson, Danny Francisco

Steve Watson, short-lived? I think not. He was King Eaglet in his time, tasted two NCAA championships in his three-year career as a Blue Eagle, played for Crispa in the MICAA and the 1978 Philippine team to the World Basketball Championships (hosted by us), and played for U/Tex in the PBA.

He never played for Ateneo when they transferred to the UAAP, though.

izon
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Julie Lim is not a short lilved player for La Salle. I think his playing days was cut short when he incurred an injury while playing for Mariwasa. Unfortunately, Julie Lim passed away in the US. A victim of vehicular accident.

Mel
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Malabes listed among Fiba Asia's 'best'
October 06, 2011

BAHRAIN'S Bader Abdulla Malabes was one of 10 players given an honourable mention for their performance in the recently concluded 26th Fiba Asia Championship, held in Wuhan, China.

Malabes finished the tournament as Bahrain's leading scorer in four games with an average of 14.5 points. That mark placed him ninth overall in points per game for the entire competition, ranking him amongst some of the continent's best players including Yi Jianlian (16.6) of China, Hamed Haddadi (15.4) of Iran and the tournament's leading scorer Marcus Douthit (21.9) of the Philippines.

To go along with his scoring, Malabes also finished ranked fourth overall in assists per game, leading the Bahrainis with an average of 4.0. Mario Wusyang of Indonesia topped that category with 6.4 assists per game, followed by Batumalay Guganeswaran (4.9) of Malaysia and Osama Daghles (4.6) of Jordan in third.

Despite Malabes's strong showing, Bahrain finished continental championship in 15th place amongst the 16 participating teams with just one win, claimed by default, in five games.

The other players listed for an honourable mention in the competition were Ibrahim Ahmad of the UAE, Hareesh Koroth of India, Eder Arjo Gorges of Syria, Samuel Hoskin of Lebanon, Wu Tai-Hao of Taiwan, Cho Sung-Min of South Korea, Wang Zhi Zhi of China, and Wuysang and Guganeswaran.

Source: http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?storyid={926632a3-3f23-4679-ba15-06806d3e2776}