PDA

View Full Version : 2011 PBA Draft

ungas
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Sino sino na ba ang nag apply?

maroonmartian
07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Wala pa news pero sigurado yung nasa Smart Gilas (except with Aguilar, Taulava etc na may team na) ay di pa qualified kasi may commitment sa National team (Asian Games and hopefully Olympics). My list of high prospect recruits:

Paul Lee
Woody Co
Magi Sison
Eric Salamat
Macky Acosta
Jewel Ponferada
Paul Sanga
Reil Cervantes

Probable:
Junmar Fajardo (if he would opt to play PBA than ASEAN Basketball League instead)

james_ty
08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Sino sino na ba ang nag apply?

Marcio Lassiter, Chris Lutz, Eric Salamat, Pamboy Raymundo, Marc Cagoco (former JRU Bomber). Those are the only familiar names I know.

maroonmartian
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.pba.ph/blogs/entry/208

2011 NATURAL DRAFTING ORDER

1st RD ORDER OF DRAFT

1. Powerade
2. Air21
3. Meralco
4. Rain or Shine
5. B-Meg
6. Alaska
7. Barako Bull/Petron Blaze
8. Barako Bull/Petron Blaze
9. Barangay Ginebra
10. Talk N Text

So far, all but the 7th and 8th picks have been decided. In the event Petron wins the 2011
Governors’ Cup title, the Boosters will have the 8th pick, with Barako Bull getting No. 7. If Talk
n Text wins, Petron takes the 7th pick and Barako Bull the 8th pick.

crazybedan
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
sir question lang meron na ulit barako bull next season?

new owner?

smc or mvp team ba sya?wag naman sana >:(

maroonmartian
08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
new owner?

Source:http://www.ballerspinas.com/2011/07/shopinas-new-team-name-of-barako-bull.html

Magkakaroon ng parang SMC or MVP na may two-three teams. I heard in the news that the Barako Bull franchise was bought by Air 21 so may sister na siya named SHOPINAS. The daughter of Air 21 will be the team governor.

So expect a new team next conference.

maroonmartian
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.pba-online.net/index2.php?start_from=0&ucat=97&archive=&subaction=&id=&

The names of Andy Mark Barroca, Mac Baracael, and Jason Ballesteros had been included in the list of 20 names so far comprising the selection for the Aug. 28 event - the first official activity of the league for the 2011-12 season......

Also adding luster to the Draft are Eric Salamat, a key player in Ateneo's three straight UAAP championships, and former University of the East star James Martinez.

Prospective rookie applicants - both homegrown and foreign-bred players - have until Aug 18 to submit their respective application and other requirements..............

Two other members of the national team bound for Wuhan, China next month for the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifier for the 2012 London Games already submitted their applications earlier, namely, Marcio Lassiter and Chris Lutz.

For this year, only Fil-foreign players who donned the national colors and are over the PBA D-League age limit of 26 years old are allowed to join the Draft.

Application and papers of all applicants will still be scrutinized before the Commissioner's Office comes out with the final list of candidates eligible to attend the Rookie Camp set August 23 to 26.

Other fresh applicants include San Sebastian teammates Gilbert Bulawan and John Raymundo, the University of the Visayas pair of Mark Ababon and Ariel Mepana, and Santo Tomas' Allein Maliksi.

Completing the Draft list are Nino Nabong, Christopher Pestano, Raymond Montaniel, Marc Cagoco, Alvyn Cabonce, Christopher Concepcion, Felimon Fernandez and Marvin Graebel.

After Powerade, Rain or Shine owns the no. 2 pick, followed by Air21, Powerade, and Shopinas - the former Barako Bull franchise now owned by the Lina Group of Companies. - www.mb.com.ph

james_ty
08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
new owner?

Source:http://www.ballerspinas.com/2011/07/shopinas-new-team-name-of-barako-bull.html

Magkakaroon ng parang SMC or MVP na may two-three teams. I heard in the news that the Barako Bull franchise was bought by Air 21 so may sister na siya named SHOPINAS. The daughter of Air 21 will be the team governor.

So expect a new team next conference.

From what I heard, Air21 will be renamed Barako Bull because Bert Lina has already acquired the rights to distribute the energy drink from George Chua.

Lina plans to market Barako Bull more aggressively to compete with other energy drinks like Red Bull, Lipovitan and Cobra.

Shopinas will remain as the sister team of the Linas.

maroonmartian
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks to Ricky Olivares. These are the final applicants for the draft.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nLXopeR4754/Tkzl5IEf3pI/AAAAAAAAPKs/Oxeoa1rUuAs/s1600/draft+1.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nTDxWl9mkFg/Tkzl-QktmxI/AAAAAAAAPKw/5-EsjX9ZDj0/s1600/draft+2.JPG

If the links doesn't work just check Ricky's blog:
http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/

maroonmartian
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Wala si Junmar Fajardo mas pinili ang ASEAN Basketball League. Wiithout him, Magi Sison is the tallest applicant at 6'7. Another good pick-up would be the Smart Gilas players of course like Casio, Barroca, Lutz and Lassiter.

Mel
08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I believe magkakaroon ulit ng Rookie Camp and competitive games between these rookies. That's a good place to see some diamonds in the rough aside from the obvious choices. If Casio doesn't withdraw from the draft and return to Gilas, then Powerade could take him at #1 while Paul Lee could go to Rain or Shine at # 2.

I'd love to see Eric Salamat go to talk N Text pero wala yata silang pick sa first round.

james_ty
08-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Wala si Junmar Fajardo mas pinili ang ASEAN Basketball League. Wiithout him, Magi Sison is the tallest applicant at 6'7. Another good pick-up would be the Smart Gilas players of course like Casio, Barroca, Lutz and Lassiter.

Fajardo cannot be drafted because he has not yet played in the PBA D League. He has to play at least one D League tournament before he can be allowed to join the draft.

RED HORSE
08-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Paul Lee in a Rain or Shine uniform is like having Sol Mercado all over again. Does the ROS coaching staff want that type of a player again? They did trade away Sol Mercado a couple of conferences back.

cub
08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
No room for Salamat in that TNT roster. Alapag, Reyes, Castro & Fonacier is a very solid guard rotation. Unless he wants to be a third stringer and be a human victory cigar like Alvarez and Lao.

zoom2k7
08-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Fajardo cannot be drafted because he has not yet played in the PBA D League. He has to play at least one D League tournament before he can be allowed to join the draft.

Mas maganda sana expose yun Fajordo sa ibat ibang level ng kumpetisyon ng basketball hindi yun puro tiga visayas lang kalaban nya para mabatak mahirap kasi pag kaya kaya mo yun mga kalaro mo hindi ka mag iimprove talaga.

Joescoundrel
08-23-2011, 08:55 AM
From the Philippine Star ___

Three-day PBA Rookie Camp Set

MANILA, Philippines - Barely has the previous season been over when the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) ushers in a new one.

Asia’s pioneering pro league officially kicks off its 37th year this week with the holding of the PBA Rookie Camp, and culminating with the 2011 Annual Draft on Sunday at the Robinsons Place Manila.

The total of 36 rookie hopefuls get to show their physical strength and playing abilities when they participate in the yearly Rookie Camp set Aug. 23 to 25.

On the first day of the camp today at the Club 650 gym, aspirants will be measured according to their height, weight and wing span, and then required to undergo endurance test by doing bench press, a 50-meter sprint, pull ups, push ups, sit ups and vertical leap.

The activities – starting from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. – culminate with the shooting drills where players will be made to shoot the flare, around the world, curl break jump and elbow mid post.

The next two days (Wednesday and Thursday) are going to be devoted entirely on scrimmages, with the rookie applicants being divided into two teams.

Both scrimmages will be held at the Ynarez Center in Pasig from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Seven members of the Smart Gilas-Pilipinas national team, namely JV Casio, Marcio Lassiter, Chris Lutz, Jason Ballesteros, Mark Barroca, Dylan Ababou, and Mac Baracael, head this year’s batch of rookie aspirants.

Also in the draft is former UR Warrior Paul Lee, who is expected to go high in the draft.

Powerade holds the right to select the no. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Joescoundrel
08-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't see how there is a clear Number 1 pick in this draft. If I were Powerade though I'd take Paul Lee over JV Casio. Casio did well in international play to be sure, but Lee has proven he can play the PBA game just as well by dominating older and tougher competition at his position in both the old PBL and the PBA D League. This draft is not as full of talent as I thought it would be. Junmar Fajardo would have been the sure Number 1 pick had he applied. Absent Fajardo, Calvin Abueva would have been a sure Number 1 pick as well. This probably means next year's draft will be deep and talented, with Greg Slaughter also joining.

james_ty
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't see how there is a clear Number 1 pick in this draft. If I were Powerade though I'd take Paul Lee over JV Casio. Casio did well in international play to be sure, but Lee has proven he can play the PBA game just as well by dominating older and tougher competition at his position in both the old PBL and the PBA D League. This draft is not as full of talent as I thought it would be. Junmar Fajardo would have been the sure Number 1 pick had he applied. Absent Fajardo, Calvin Abueva would have been a sure Number 1 pick as well. This probably means next year's draft will be deep and talented, with Greg Slaughter also joining.

Fajardo should play in at least one PBA D League conference before he can be allowed to join the draft. Since he didn't play in the last D-League tournament, then we may have to wait until next year.

Joescoundrel
08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
^ James, would the PBA waive the D League requirement if the player served on the National Team already, like Greg Slaughter has?

bchoter
08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Fajardo should play in at least one PBA D League conference before he can be allowed to join the draft. Since he didn't play in the last D-League tournament, then we may have to wait until next year.
James can you refresh us with the rule on PBA draft applicants in relation with the D League?

The_Big_Cat
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I read before that applicants need to play 2 conferences in the D-League. But those who applied for this draft that played for Smart Gilas are exempted.

If JV Casio is selected number one overall;

1. he will be the shortest number 1 pick in PBA Draft history. ;D
2. the first La Salle Green Archer to be selected number 1 since Mike Cortez (2003)
3. the first San Beda Red Cub to be selected number 1 since Benjie Paras (1989)

Joescoundrel
08-24-2011, 01:44 PM
I got a little confused with the whole Shopinas thing. So Shopinas is now the new name for the old Air 21?

Does that mean they are picking second overall (taking Air 21's pick)?

razor
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I got a little confused with the whole Shopinas thing. So Shopinas is now the new name for the old Air 21?

Does that mean they are picking second overall (taking Air 21's pick)?

Shopinas is the new name of Barako Bull (the Photokina franchise).

But I also hear that Air21 will be renamed Barako Bull after the reported sale of the Chua Company to the Lina Group.

bchoter
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Why didn't just retain Barako Bull and rename Air21 to Shopina? So may favored team? :D

james_ty
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Junel Baculi will coach Barako Bull again and his assistant will be Bong Ramos (the former Air21 coach).

Raffy Casyao, who was also connected with Red Bull and Barako, will be the team manager.

Joescoundrel
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I was at the Rookie Camp scrimmage yesterday afternoon. None of the Gilas boys were playing since apparently they had a practice that ended just a few hours earlier. Reil Cervantes, Glibert Bulawan, Paul Lee, James Martinez, Kit Rosopa, Ken Acibar, Pamboy Raymundo, Eric Salamat, Alvyn Cabonce all gave good accounts of themselves. In other words, no surprises in yesterday's scrimmage. Looks like this will be a pretty tepid draft after all.

Joescoundrel
08-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Right now I'd say the Top 10 in no particular order would be:

JV Casio
Marcio Lassiter
Paul Lee
Alain Maliksi
Mac Baracael
Dylan Ababou
Reil Cervantes
Mark Barroca
Jason Ballesteros
Chris Lutz

Eric Salamat, Pamboy Raymundo, Magi Sison or Ken Acibar might actually even sneak into the first round depending on what a particular team is looking for. There is just no franchise-altering player in this draft, period.

james_ty
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I was at the Rookie Camp scrimmage yesterday afternoon. None of the Gilas boys were playing since apparently they had a practice that ended just a few hours earlier. Reil Cervantes, Glibert Bulawan, Paul Lee, James Martinez, Kit Rosopa, Ken Acibar, Pamboy Raymundo, Eric Salamat, Alvyn Cabonce all gave good accounts of themselves. In other words, no surprises in yesterday's scrimmage. Looks like this will be a pretty tepid draft after all.

The Gilas players are exempted from the scrimmages bec they are also practicing with the national team.

BigBlue
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
wala bang mock draft dyan?

Joescoundrel
08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
At this point it would probably be best to look at the players in this draft purely on whether or not they have the tools to play a specific PBA position.

For instance, JV Casio is looming as the likely Number 1 pick because he can be a fulltime PBA pointguard as he has shown in international play. There is the added bonus that he has incredible range and a quick trigger on his shot. Paul Lee might be considered at Number 1 as well because he is a classic PBA combo guard, athletic, tough, strong and compact, and can play either 1 or 2, like a young Mark Caguioa. Mark Barroca may not have the shooting of Casio but he is a better athlete and a little naturally stronger at the pointguard spot. Forwards like Mac Baracael, Dylan Ababou and Alain Maliksi have enough strength, length and willingness to rebound plus the height to play 4, plus the athletic ability, shooting range, running ability and quickness to play 3. Jason Ballesteros at nearly 6'8" and agile and with two-plus years of constant international experience can be a fulltime 5 or 5/4, maybe compete with the likes of JR Reyes and Sonny Thoss. Reil Cervantes might be the second coming of Reynel Hugnatan but needs to show more quickness especially at the high post. Marcio Lassiter and Chris Lutz can play that swing spot with ease, and are a little taller than a lot of the guys they'll be matching up against.

Joescoundrel
08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
After the first round, it will be a crapshoot for everyone else. It isn't that they can't play, but maybe they don't really have a fulltime PBA position.

Eric Salamat is a true guard, but he is neither a pointguard nor an off-guard. He does not have the handles and speed of Mark Barroca, and he doesn't have the size and scoring sock of Paul Lee. Speaking of pointguards, Pamboy Raymundo and Mark Cagoco are accomplished amateur sentinels, but they don't have the speed and overall athletic package to match up against PBA pointguards like Jim Alapag and Mike Cortez, and unlike JV Casio they can't make up for it with shooting. Magi Sison and Kit Rosopa are tall and long, but they have to prove they can handle the typical super strong PBA post players like Eric Menk, Sonny Thoss, and even the venerable types like Asi Taulava, Marlou Aquino, Dennis Espino and Dorian Pena.

maroonmartian
08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=721607&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Congratulations to JV Casio for being picked No. 1 and to all other aspirants who got picked. Umaabot pa sa fourth round pero konti lang kinuha doon. Looking forward for a BETTER PBA next season.

Ang tanong ko lang, tama ba na maglagay ka ng requirement na dapat maglaro sa PBDL bago ka makuha? I don't think its necessary. Yung NBA DL kung saan natin nakuha ang idea (actually ganun na rin ang ideya ng PBL dati), walang ganun requirement. Kawawa yung mga tagaprobinsiya (Visayas) who are good players e.g. Junmar Fajardo. Salamat na lang pinagbigyan ang Smart Gilas boys (dapat lang). Ang tanong ko kung si FAJARDO AY MAGLALARO SA San Miguel (owner of three PBA teams) SA ASEAN Basketball League, maikecredit po ba yun? Unfair naman!! Commish Salud and PBA people, pagisipan po niyo yan. Di lang kayo liga sa Pilipinas ngayon.

pbahoop
08-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Know your Rookie: JV Casio

Perhaps the only question asked Sunday night was if Powerade’s jacket and cap would fit JVee Casio well.

But for the man of the moment, it wasn’t just another ceremony — it was a lifelong dream unraveling before his eyes at the 2011 PBA Rookie Draft.

http://pbahoop.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/know-your-rookie-jv-casio/

Dark Knight
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
congrats to former FEU Tams Barroca, Baracael and Cervantes.