View Full Version : UE Red Warriors 2011 [Season 74]

gabriel
06-19-2011, 03:50 PM
UE Red Warriors 2011 [Season 74]

Teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/user/abscbnsports?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/7/p8sULV2OldE

Joescoundrel
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Jerry Codinera has his work cut out for him for Season 74, and a lot of his roster decisions might come back to haunt him. How will he match up against tall, talented and deep teams like Ateneo and FEU? Or veteran teams like Adamson? In the offseason the Warriors played a lot of man-to-man and match-up zone with some success, but then again the other teams may have been playing possum. Codinera will have to give opponents many different looks on defense because he won't have that many options on the scoring end and cannot simply get into a shootout. Outside of Roi Sumang's abilities, he will also need a good pressbreak to get past teams like Lasalle and Adamson.

gabriel
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Jerry Codinera has his work cut out for him for Season 74, and a lot of his roster decisions might come back to haunt him. How will he match up against tall, talented and deep teams like Ateneo and FEU? Or veteran teams like Adamson? In the offseason the Warriors played a lot of man-to-man and match-up zone with some success, but then again the other teams may have been playing possum. Codinera will have to give opponents many different looks on defense because he won't have that many options on the scoring end and cannot simply get into a shootout. Outside of Roi Sumang's abilities, he will also need a good pressbreak to get past teams like Lasalle and Adamson.

from an overhauled lineup, placing 4th overall after the elims will be an achievement ;D

Joescoundrel
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
UE will need to run a lot of drive-draw and pick-roll action to take advantage of Roi Sumang's ability to break down defenses with his dribble-drive. If UE actually had at least an Olan Omiping-type stone shooter Sumang would be the perfect pointguard for a player like that. Could Lord Casajeros be that player for UE this year? Casajeros has a good trigger and three-point range, but seems to take just an extra second too long loading up and launching his shot; he has to develop a quicker trigger especially off kick-out passes from Sumang or Paul Zamar.

Biboy Enguio also needs to step up his play and be more aggressive going to the rack. He's a well-built 6'2" swingman with good enough handles, so maybe he should take over the role of Paul Lee. Enguio however needs to learn to dribble lower and keep his elbows slightly out so that his dribble is close to his body, thus making sure no one takes swipes at the ball. He is a better leaper, and taller than Lee, so all that is needed is for him to drive harder and drive more to the basket. He has to understand that if one is a returning veteran being counted on to produce, taking jumpshots is not the way to win games in the UAAP.

ironcoach
06-25-2011, 07:02 AM
UE will need to run a lot of drive-draw and pick-roll action to take advantage of Roi Sumang's ability to break down defenses with his dribble-drive. If UE actually had at least an Olan Omiping-type stone shooter Sumang would be the perfect pointguard for a player like that. Could Lord Casajeros be that player for UE this year? Casajeros has a good trigger and three-point range, but seems to take just an extra second too long loading up and launching his shot; he has to develop a quicker trigger especially off kick-out passes from Sumang or Paul Zamar.

Biboy Enguio also needs to step up his play and be more aggressive going to the rack. He's a well-built 6'2" swingman with good enough handles, so maybe he should take over the role of Paul Lee. Enguio however needs to learn to dribble lower and keep his elbows slightly out so that his dribble is close to his body, thus making sure no one takes swipes at the ball. He is a better leaper, and taller than Lee, so all that is needed is for him to drive harder and drive more to the basket. He has to understand that if one is a returning veteran being counted on to produce, taking jumpshots is not the way to win games in the UAAP.

enguio is abt 6'1 and has no ballhandling skills. he's more of a spot-up jump shooter in the mold of a Mark Macapagal. he doesn't possess the ball-handling and playmaking skills, and the court sense and wizardzy of the Cobra Commander. true?? what do ya think?

gabriel
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/06/26/uaap-season-74-team-lineups/

UAAP Season 74 team lineups
by Christian Soler
Sunday, 26 June 2011 Views / 5 Comments

EACH of the eight competing UAAP schools has submitted a lineup that will subsequently be screened by the league’s eligibility committee. Its findings will be released on June 28. Teams can then appeal decisions made by the committee and make necessary changes to their rosters. Final decisions will be rendered after the UAAP Board convenes on July 5. Information will be updated as it is received.

UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST
CASAJEROS, Lord – G
CHAVEZ, Von – G
DE LEON, RR – F/C
DURAN, Erwin – F
ENGUIO, Biboy – G/F
FLORES, Jairold – F
JAVIER, Chris – F/C
MONTELIBANO, Nico – F
NOBLE, JM – F
SABANGAN, Jessmar – G/F
SANTOS, Adrian – F
SUMANG, Roi – G
SUMIDO, Jay-ar – G
TAGARDA, Lucas – G
ZAMAR, Paul – G
ZOSA, BJ – G

Head coach: CODIÑERA, Jerry (1st season)

gabriel
06-26-2011, 01:35 PM
what happened to Sam Razon? ??? missing also is Nike Montalvo? ???

ghost09
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
what happened to Sam Razon? ??? missing also is Nike Montalvo? ???

They were relegated to team B

Joescoundrel
06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
@Ironcoach

Coach, no way Biboy is anywhere near as good as Paul is now or even two years ago, but he's the best option at that swing spot for UE this year.

I just feel he has not lived up to his full athletic and basketball potential. When I first saw him in Lyceum a couple years back he was a hell of an athlete. I've seen him attack the basket against UAAP A teams in the Fr Martin with some success, but he just loves pulling up too much for jumpshots. He has the size, the strength and the body, and if his round robin dunks are anything to go by, he also has the springs to be a much better swingman. If Enguio can somehow take two or three good north-south dribbles and power his way to the basket, it opens more opportunities for himself either for field goals or freethrows, and he can even serve as a decoy for his team, looking for kick-out or drive-draw opportunities. Unfortunately this will not happen until he learns to dribble lower to the ground and closer to his body, otherwise opposing defenses will just swipe that ball away.

maroonmartian
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Where is Ken Acibar? Ka tandem pa naman ni Paul Lee last year.

ironcoach
06-28-2011, 02:14 AM
@Ironcoach

Coach, no way Biboy is anywhere near as good as Paul is now or even two years ago, but he's the best option at that swing spot for UE this year.

I just feel he has not lived up to his full athletic and basketball potential. When I first saw him in Lyceum a couple years back he was a hell of an athlete. I've seen him attack the basket against UAAP A teams in the Fr Martin with some success, but he just loves pulling up too much for jumpshots. He has the size, the strength and the body, and if his round robin dunks are anything to go by, he also has the springs to be a much better swingman. If Enguio can somehow take two or three good north-south dribbles and power his way to the basket, it opens more opportunities for himself either for field goals or freethrows, and he can even serve as a decoy for his team, looking for kick-out or drive-draw opportunities. Unfortunately this will not happen until he learns to dribble
lower to the ground and closer to his body, otherwise opposing defenses will just swipe that ball away.

hey! good read and analysis. biboy is playing his last year this season. probably a case of an old dog not being able to learn new tricks anymore for Biboy. but maybe if they just allow Sumang to handle the rock all the time and allow him to create opportunities for everyone else...biboy could still master the art of moving WITHOUT the ball..either spotting up, using staggered screens or going backdoor on overzealous defenders..ala Ray Allen. that could still help the team cause rather than forcing the issue.

ironcoach
06-28-2011, 02:25 AM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/06/26/uaap-season-74-team-lineups/

Compare these 2 line-ups and you be the judge

CASAJEROS, Lord – G SUMANG, Roi
CHAVEZ, Von – G TAGARDA, Lucas
DE LEON, RR – F/C ROSOPA, Ezer
DURAN, Erwin – F ACIBAR, Ken
ENGUIO, Biboy – G/F LEE, Paul
FLORES, Jairold – F ZAMAR, Paul
JAVIER, Chris – F/C CASAJEROS, Lord
MONTELIBANO, Nico – F RAZON, Sam
NOBLE, JM – F ENGUIO, Ebrahim
SABANGAN, Jessmar – G/F SANTOS, Adrian
SANTOS, Adrian – F DURAN, Erwin
SUMANG, Roi – G TROLLANO, Don
SUMIDO, Jay-ar – G HERNANDEZ, Ivan
TAGARDA, Lucas – G NOBLE, JM
ZAMAR, Paul – G SUMIDO, JR
ZOSA, BJ – G ABRIGO, Gian

Head coach: CODIÑERA, Jerry (1st season)

Joescoundrel
06-28-2011, 08:18 AM
^ Coach, what is there to compare? I have a feeling Coach Jerry is going to have a very long Season 74 at the rate he's going...

ironcoach
06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
^ Coach, what is there to compare? I have a feeling Coach Jerry is going to have a very long Season 74 at the rate he's going...

the way you've been giving your scouting report and your insight with the redwarriors' scheme of things...i should've petitioned you as my replacement. any chance your a bball coach as well?? a former player maybe???

ironcoach
06-28-2011, 11:43 AM

if you'll notice the line-up that was submitted by UE, out of the mandatory 16, 9 are GUARDS. now thats interesting.

pulang mandirigma
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
^^ ganun na nga mangyayari, magtatayo na kami ng security agency.. ;D pero coach hindi kaya si Acibar ang nawalan hdindi ang UE, dahil sa nakita ko sa D-Leauge parang hilaw pa si Acibar para sa pro...

LION
06-28-2011, 02:18 PM

the way you've been giving your scouting report and your insight with the redwarriors' scheme of things...i should've petitioned you as my replacement. any chance your a bball coach as well?? a former player maybe???

Joe, this I've got to see. ;D

Joescoundrel
06-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Coach, I am but a humble sports reporter, pero sa UE din po ako nagtapos, AB Pol Sci Class of 1994.

Lion, itoma na lang natin 'yan, hanggang sports writing na lang ako talaga, hehe!

ironcoach
06-29-2011, 03:04 AM
^^ ganun na nga mangyayari, magtatayo na kami ng security agency.. ;D pero coach hindi kaya si Acibar ang nawalan hdindi ang UE, dahil sa nakita ko sa D-Leauge parang hilaw pa si Acibar para sa pro...

if i were a PBA owner, team manager or coach, i'll grab the opportunity to draft a Ken Acibar. even as a rookie in commercial league games, he's still averaging in double digits. i don't recall a single Cobra game that he didn't log at least 10 pts. he's 6'5 & only 21 yrs old. has all the room to grow & improve. and will come cheap as compared to over-rated, highly-priced guys who've been in the PBA for years but has so far proven nothing.

thats what you may call Basketball Managing 101.

ironcoach
06-29-2011, 03:14 AM

and with the creation of the PBA D-League, any player can bypass college through and through especially if a kid isn't really interested in studying and has set a future or a means of living thru basketball. Acibar is getting paid 20k per month+win game bonuses with Cobra while i seriously doubt that UE will give him that much.

Always remember that these kids are mostly dirt-poor. In fact, Acibar is already the bread-winner in his family even while in college. same goes for Pari Llagas, Paul Lee, Rudy Lingganay, Val Acuna, etc.

Joescoundrel
06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
^ Coach, this has been a sensitive topic among old PBL teams vis-a-vis the schools where they normally got their players, and now I think the same topic applies to the D League:

There are some who say college players should not yet be allowed to play in the PBL or the D League, reason being that there might be times na para bang tinitipid ng player ang laro niya for his school team in order to save himself for his D League (or dati PBL) team. As you correctly pointed out, a lot of these kids are really in this to make a living off basketball, not get college degrees, and personally there is nothing wrong with that. Some kids want to be entrepreneurs, CEO's, lawyers, doctors someday, but some kids want to get into the PBA.

I think the last "case study" on this was Mark Barroca of FEU, who led Harbour Centre to two (tama ba Coach?) PBA titles while sometimes scoring 30 points in a given game, and then pagdating sa FEU he was somehow faltering against supposedly "inferior" younger college competition. Of course no one wants to think ill of a guy, and we can always just say the guy was earning a living with Harbour, but the disparity in play is hard to ignore.

What is your view on this?

ironcoach
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
^ Coach, this has been a sensitive topic among old PBL teams vis-a-vis the schools where they normally got their players, and now I think the same topic applies to the D League:

There are some who say college players should not yet be allowed to play in the PBL or the D League, reason being that there might be times na para bang tinitipid ng player ang laro niya for his school team in order to save himself for his D League (or dati PBL) team. As you correctly pointed out, a lot of these kids are really in this to make a living off basketball, not get college degrees, and personally there is nothing wrong with that. Some kids want to be entrepreneurs, CEO's, lawyers, doctors someday, but some kids want to get into the PBA.

I think the last "case study" on this was Mark Barroca of FEU, who led Harbour Centre to two (tama ba Coach?) PBA titles while sometimes scoring 30 points in a given game, and then pagdating sa FEU he was somehow faltering against supposedly "inferior"
younger college competition. Of course no one wants to think ill of a guy, and we can always just say the guy was earning a living with Harbour, but the disparity in play is hard to ignore.
What is your view on this?

in my opinion, since the PBL (before), plays only 7-8 months a year, plus karamihan ng players sa PBL eh "borrowed" lang sa mga colleges, most, if not all PBL coaches tend to play to the skills and talent of certain players unlike college coaches, who have the luxury of training and practicing with these very same players, mas structured na ang sistema nila.
therefore players of Andy Barroca's talent level are reined-in a bit in the college game. in fact. also in my opinion, mas may advantage ang mga college players na naglalaro din sa PBL or in this case, the D-League. iba talaga ang naibibigay na experience, confidence at exposure sa mga college players.

lekiboy
06-29-2011, 01:58 PM
coach,
we got news that kinsman frando went to SBC...on your earlier posts, he went to NU...nagbago po ba isip ng bata? o may nagbago ho advice nyo?
salamat!

ironcoach
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
coach,
we got news that kinsman frando went to SBC...on your earlier posts, he went to NU...nagbago po ba isip ng bata? o may nagbago ho advice nyo?
salamat!

sinuway ako ng bata. in fairness, matagal na niyang sinasabi na nalulungkot siya sa NU. kesyo hindi raw siya pinapansin doon. but my firm instruction to him is to stay put sa NU. mahaba-habang paliwanagan ngayon ito sa team manager ng NU na si Mr. Manny Sy. nahihiya tuloy ako. kasi package deal dapat yang si Frando and si Henri Betayene. nung pinalayas nga yung dalawa sa UE, kay Mr. Manny Sy ako nakahanap ng sandigan para sa dalawang bata although i can feel na hindi nga type ni coach Altamirano si Frando from day 1. but my instuction and advice parin to Frando is to hold on (hang on). Ahhh!!! the kids of today!

lekiboy
06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
coach,
salamat!

sinuway ako ng bata. in fairness, matagal na niyang sinasabi na nalulungkot siya sa NU. kesyo hindi raw siya pinapansin doon. but my firm instruction to him is to stay put sa NU. mahaba-habang paliwanagan ngayon ito sa team manager ng NU na si Mr. Manny Sy. nahihiya tuloy ako. kasi package deal dapat yang si Frando and si Henri Betayene. nung pinalayas nga yung dalawa sa UE, kay Mr. Manny Sy ako nakahanap ng sandigan para sa dalawang bata although i can feel na hindi nga type ni coach Altamirano si Frando from day 1. but my instuction and advice parin to Frando is to hold on (hang on). Ahhh!!! the kids of today!

thanks, coach...alagaan na lang namin sa SBC..don't worry. :)

pulang mandirigma
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
[/quote]

coach sa pagkakaalam ko hindi naman ata pinalayas si Betayene, mas malaki lang offer ng NU na hindi kayang tapatan ng UE. Coach baka alam mo kung magkano allowance ng UE compare sa NU kay Betayene? Dun pa lang masasabi mo na kung bakit sya nawala sa UE at hindi pinalayas.. ;D

LION
06-30-2011, 11:20 AM
coach,
salamat!

coach,

1. You said "hindi type ni Altamirano si Frando since day 1". Why is that when you said before that Frando is very good and plays like Kenneth Duremdes.

2. What did you see in Kinsman Frando to merit such praise and comparison with an all-time great? He came from Tawi-tawi which is not exactly known as a breeding ground for basketball players. How did you find him?

bchoter
06-30-2011, 12:12 PM
So Jesmar ended up in UE. Was his status clarified? Hia hs coach has this habit of letting his better hs players play for his seniors team

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 10:11 AM

coach sa pagkakaalam ko hindi naman ata pinalayas si Betayene, mas malaki lang offer ng NU na hindi kayang tapatan ng UE. Coach baka alam mo kung magkano allowance ng UE compare sa NU kay Betayene? Dun pa lang masasabi mo na kung bakit sya nawala sa UE at hindi pinalayas.. ;D

brod, pinalayas talaga si Betayene. at the time na pinalayas siya, 3-4 days lang ang taning na ibinigay sa kanya para makapag-empake at mag-alsabalutan. si jerry c. ang mismong kumausap kay Beteyene but im sure napag-utusan lang siya.

how could NU give Betayene an offer eh UE property na yan. enrolled at naka-isang semester na si Henri sa UE. as far as yung allowance ni Betayene is concerned, si Mr. Bong Tan mismo ang nakipag-negosasyon kay Henri. nabigyan na nga ni Mr.Tan si Henri ng laptop coz request niya yon panlaban-homesickness. STI ang original na nagparating kay Betayene. i paid STI the cost of Henri's plane fare (from Cameroon to Manila), Bureau of Immigration permit, foreign student permit...amounting to P150,000.00. then Henri's monthly allowance is P14,000.00, as per his agreement with Mr. Bong Tan.
6 months na po nating pina-pasahuran si Henri and then nga nung hindi ako ni-renew, napag-pasyahan nring tanggalin siya ng mga walang puso at walang-awang nilalang. and later on, AKO PARIN ang nakagawa ng paraan para hindi maging palaboy si Betayene. at yun na nga yung naki-usap ako sa team manager ng NU na kunin nalang siya at i-reimburse lang sa akin yung mga nagastos ko na kay Henri. as far as yung laptop naman na ibinigay ni boss Bong, his instruction is to just give it to Henri nalang after all that he went through sa mga kamay ng mastermind ng UE MBT.

galit na galit at mangiyak-ngiyak si Betayene noon. mabait na bata yan at ang impression niya sa UE, bakit hindi daw marunong magpaka-tao at trinato siya na as if hindi raw siya tao. isinama ko nalang siya at that time sa team building ng Team Cobra sa Baguio para mahimasmasan at pampa-tanggal ng trauma. at ni-remind ko rin siya about God at matuto siyang magpatawad. at sa lahat ng mga pangyayaring ganyan sa buhay...may katumbas na KARMA yan. ayon, he's so much happier and at peace now over at NU.
[/quote]

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
coach,
salamat!

sinuway ako ng bata. in fairness, matagal na niyang sinasabi na nalulungkot siya sa NU. kesyo hindi raw siya pinapansin doon. but my firm instruction to him is to stay put sa NU. mahaba-habang paliwanagan ngayon ito sa team manager ng NU na si Mr. Manny Sy. nahihiya tuloy ako. kasi package deal dapat yang si Frando and si Henri Betayene. nung pinalayas nga yung dalawa sa UE, kay Mr. Manny Sy ako nakahanap ng
sandigan para sa dalawang bata although i can feel na hindi nga type ni coach Altamirano si Frando from day 1. but my instuction and advice parin to Frando is to hold on (hang on). Ahhh!!! the kids of today!

coach,
1. You said "hindi type ni Altamirano si Frando since day 1". Why is that when you said before that Frando is very good and plays like Kenneth Duremdes.
2. What did you see in Kinsman Frando to merit such praise and comparison with an all-time great? He came from Tawi-tawi which is not exactly known as a breeding ground for basketball players. How did you find him?

maybe Frando failed to impress Altamirano sa 1st impression lang but im sure Altamirano will learn to appreciate Kinsman's skills later on (yun nga lang lumayas na daw sa NU).
i compared Frando to a YOUNG AND RAW Kenneth Duremdes. I spotted Frando in the 19-under tournament held in Iloilo late last year. he was playing for the Southern City Colleges of Zamboanga. same school that produced RR Garcia, Andy Barroca and Rudy Lingganay to name a few.

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM

when i became UE's coach, i made sure na meron akong war-chest to recruit and to afford all the necessary training and competitions abroad para maging competitive at parating may chance manalo ang team. kaya during my tenure, walang kahit na ano mang offer to any player in the world ng any UAAP teams, ang HINDI KAYANG TAPATAN NG UE.

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
So Jesmar ended up in UE. Was his status clarified? Hia hs coach has this habit of letting his better hs players play for his seniors team

WHO'S JESMAR??? DON'T KNOW HIM.

LION
07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Ayan bchoter, nasigawan ka ni coach. ;D

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 11:25 AM

hindi sigaw yon ha. :)

napindot lang yung caps lock button. ;)

bchoter
07-01-2011, 11:27 AM
^^ coach, si sabangan
^ pareng lion buti nalang mejo may pagka bingi ako :D

Joescoundrel
07-01-2011, 01:11 PM
^ Hoy Bchoter, isnabero ka na naman sa telepono, toma mamaya!

Back to regular programming...

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
^^ coach, si sabangan

pasensya na brod but i don't know jesmar sabangan. siya ba yung nabasa ko na naka-line up sa UE?? is he any good?? never heard talaga...sorry.

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 01:35 PM

tomador ka pala! ako dapat yung niyayaya mo. san ba hangout mo??

bchoter
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
^^ coach, si sabangan

pasensya na brod but i don't know jesmar sabangan. siya ba yung nabasa ko na naka-line up sa UE?? is he any good?? never heard talaga...sorry.
Coach he's a good 2/3. Methinks he's rp youth team material. Not sure if he still but he was above average slasher and an even better shooter.

Pareng joe sorry pero may byahe ako tonight. Dami ko ng absent. Di ba pwedeng thursday naman next time?

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
[quote=ironcoach ]
[quote=bchoter ]
^^ coach, si sabangan

Coach he's a good 2/3. Methinks he's rp youth team material. Not sure if he still but he was above average slasher and an even better shooter.

good for them. kasi nga yung sentiment ko, kung umabot pa sa UE ang isang recruit, hindi yan blue-chip. but pwede namang maging diamond in the rough or gumaling through the proper training and exposure at yung pag=aaruga.

LION
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM

coach, we are inviting you to grace our bonding session at 7:30 tonight. We are Gameface regulars. Will pm you the venue. We don't know if they serve Coors Light in the venue but we can always buy at nearby Rustans for you.

Don't you worry. We are all professionals and belong to the same age bracket, except probably for one or two. ;D

Joescoundrel
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Coach, pobreng sports writer lang ako, hangout ko bahay ng may-bahay lang, hehehe!

My brand of choice right now is Gran Matador. It used to be Emperador pero parang nag-iba timpla about six years ago kaya switched to Matador.

Bchoter, sige, next time parekoy. Ingat ngarud.

ironcoach
07-01-2011, 03:32 PM

coach, we are inviting you to grace our bonding session at 7:30 tonight. We are Gameface regulars. Will pm you the venue. We don't know if they serve Coors Light in the venue but we can always buy at nearby Rustans for you.

Don't you worry. We are all professionals and belong to the same age bracket, except probably for one or two. ;D

do they serve oysters there?? im craving for oysters. and kalderetang kambing. i'll try to drop-by kung magising ko. i have jet-lag and patulog palang ako now. yesterday, i slept from 3pm-11pm. after a midnite dinner, inuman na till 5am. ::)

LION
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM

do they serve oysters there?? im craving for oysters. and kalderetang kambing. i'll try to drop-by kung magising ko. i have jet-lag and patulog palang ako now. yesterday, i slept from 3pm-11pm. after a midnite dinner, inuman na till 5am. ::)

I think they have oysters but in case it's not on the menu, via mare is just a few steps away.

ironcoach
07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
[quote=LION ]
[quote=ironcoach ]
[quote=Joescoundrel ]

I think they have oysters but in case it's not on the menu, via mare is just a few steps away.

as i've predicted, jet-lag prevailed again. dozed off at 5pm kanina till now. pero hold on lang dyan sa bonding session natin. as soon as ok na ako at swak na sa sked niyo, itutuloy natin yan. salamat talaga sa invite. hope to see u guys soon.

bchoter
07-02-2011, 09:00 AM
[quote=ironcoach ]
[quote=bchoter ]
^^ coach, si sabangan

good for them. kasi nga yung sentiment ko, kung umabot pa sa UE ang isang recruit, hindi yan blue-chip. but pwede namang
maging diamond in the rough or gumaling through the proper training and exposure at yung pag=aaruga.

If Sabangan improved on his skills set from the one i first saw 3 years ago he should be able to contribute roght away. This kid is a lot better than his hs team mate, jeff javillonar, who was part of the youth team

ironcoach
07-02-2011, 09:37 AM
[quote=ironcoach ]
[quote=bchoter ]
^^ coach, si sabangan

good for them. kasi nga yung sentiment ko, kung umabot pa sa UE ang isang recruit, hindi yan blue-chip. but pwede namang
maging diamond in the rough or gumaling through the proper training and exposure at yung pag=aaruga.

If Sabangan improved on his skills set from the one i first saw 3 years ago he should be able to contribute roght away. This kid is a lot better than his hs team mate, jeff javillonar, who was part of the youth team

well, all questions will be answered in the next few weeks. in the UAAP, talent alone doesn't necessarily equate to anything. you've gotta have the heart, the playing time, the contribution, the luck.....THE KWAN!

ironcoach
07-04-2011, 10:01 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i just heard somewhere that the combination of alcoholic drinks and oysters can be a killer. Yikes! lets stick to veggies-pulutan nalang. ;)

gabriel
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/07/06/uaap-season-74-preview-ateneo-feu-ue/

UAAP Season 74 preview – Ateneo, FEU, UE
by Christian Soler
Wednesday, 6 July 2011 Views / 1 Comment

University of the East Red Warriors

2010 record: 6-8 (sixth place)
Head coach: Jerry Codiñera

Additions: Von Chavez, RR de Leon, Jairold Flores, Chris Javier, Nikko Montelibano, Jessmar Sabangan, Roi Sumang, BJ Zosa

Subtractions: Ken Acibar, Garrick Ayala, Ivan Hernandez, Paul Lee, James Martinez, Sam Razon, Raffy Reyes, Kit Rosopa

Holdovers: Lord Casajeros, Erwin Duran, Biboy Enguio, JM Noble, Adrian Santos, Jay-ar Sumido, Lucas Tagarda, Paul Zamar

Background: After winning just a solitary game at the end of the first round, the Red Warriors embarked on a furious fightback and put itself in contention for a Final Four spot. UE fell short, and the debacle signified the nascent stages of what turned out to be a soap opera, Recto-style.

Key changes: With James Martinez and Raffy Reyes no longer eligible, bonafide go-to-guy Paul Lee followed the lead of UE’s erstwhile head strategist, Lawrence Chongson, out the door as management decided to take a different direction. The hiring of Jerry Codiñera, a big game big man in his playing years, conspicuously heralded a mass exodus of big men, as Ken Acibar, Ivan Hernandez and Kit Rosopa all had playing years left in them. That leaves a “who’s that” of new recruits and role players thrust into unfamiliar roles as pillars of a team groping for an identity.

Outlook: There are rebuilding projects, and then there’s UE. With so many gaps in the lineup, Paul Zamar will have no choice but to serve as the squad’s primary scoring threat, with Lord Casajeros and a more polished Jay-ar Sumido backing him up. Rookie guard BJ Zosa was a revelation in the summer, and he’ll split time with or even play alongside cat-quick Roi Sumang. Burly forwards Erwin Duran and JM Noble will not only need to log heavier minutes, they’ll be banging bodies with much taller and heftier guys in the paint. Chris Javier will have his work cut out as he’s an undersized center in the college ranks.

Prognosis: Season 74 could turn out to be a long, winding road to perdition for Codiñera and friends, as there isn’t that much to be optimistic about in the here and now. But this must be qualified, as Codiñera has come up with a great job even forming a team considering all the in-house bickering that’s transpired since he took over. This year will be all about laying the groundwork.

Projected team standings
1. Ateneo de Manila University
2. Far Eastern University
3. De La Salle University
4. Adamson University
5. National University
6. University of Santo Tomas
7. University of the Philippines
8. University of the East

Final Four
Ateneo over Adamson
FEU over De La Salle

Champion
Ateneo

animo
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
coach,
salamat!

Don't worry coach, hindi siya malulungkot sa SBC. masaya sa loob ng den. he's in good hands.

ironcoach
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
ang dilemma ko right now is hindi yata feel ng SBC ako bayaran to defray my expenses kay Frando. i brought Frando to a Beda practice dati, nagustuhan siya ni Frankie, but NU had the better offer so dun ko si Frando dinala, hindi pala masaya si Frando sa NU coz hindi raw siya pinapansin ng mga coaches doon. nung nasa America ako, lumipat bakod si Frando sa Beda. feel yata ng Beda ngayon na hindi na nila ako kailangan bayaran coz si Frando na ang kusang lumapit sa kanila. Buti nalang hindi ko pa sinisingil ang NU manager with regards to Frando kundi ako na ang hinahabol nila ngayon. Frando..MASDAN MO ANG GINAWA MO. offer ng Beda sayo 3k per month. ang offer ng NU and ipinaalam ko sayo yan is 5k ngayong residence year mo then 6k, 7k, 8k, 9k, & 10k in the 5 years na maglalaro ka dun. ang sabi mo sa akin..aanhin mo ang pera kung hindi ka naman masaya. na mas importante sayo ang kaligayahan kaysa pera. 19 yrs old ka ngayon. HUWAG MONG KAKALIMUTAN YANG SINABI MO PAGDATING NG PANAHON.

duphaR007
07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
baka naman nga coach mas mahalaga ang kasiyahan sa kanya kaysa sa pera. siguro yun na din ang magandang ituro naten sa mga batang players ngayon na may mas mahalagang bagay kaysa sa pera.

marami kasi nagtotolerate sa mga high school players pa lang pera pera na ang usapan.

ironcoach
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
baka naman nga coach mas mahalaga ang kasiyahan sa kanya kaysa sa pera. siguro yun na din ang magandang ituro naten sa mga batang players ngayon na may mas mahalagang bagay kaysa sa pera.

marami kasi nagtotolerate sa mga high school players pa lang pera pera na ang usapan.

pero diba tungkulin naming mga advisers to guide the youth of today tulad nalang ni Frando na short-sighted pa coz of his age nga. ang bata tatanda at tatanda someday. tapos sisisihin ang matanda kung bakit hindi siya ginuide nung musmos pa ang isipan niya.

its not as if naman na gagahasain o iihawin siya sa NU diba? tapos pagdating ng araw kapag nagipit...sa bading kakapit.

ironcoach
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM

may mas sasarap pa ba sa marami kang pera. panggastos, pang-tulong, para hindi na umasa sa iba, para hind na maka-isip kumapit sa patalim, etc. basta ba sa mabuting paraan nakamit. hindi yung sa pambebenta ng laro, panloko sa kapwa, hindi yung ipu-puhunan ang katawan sa kalaswaan.

im not saying that Frando can be entirely wrong. who knows baka naman maging good move din naman eventually yung ginawa niya. ang hindi lang tama siguro eh yung hindi niya pag-coordinate sa akin ng maayos. after all, i spent for his airfare coming to manila, food, lodging and allowances for several months. yung courtesy wala. but maybe nga pati spelling ng couresy hindi nga niya alam. oh well.

duphaR007
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM

pero diba tungkulin naming mga advisers to guide the youth of today tulad nalang ni Frando na short-sighted pa coz of his age nga. ang bata tatanda at tatanda someday. tapos sisisihin ang matanda kung bakit hindi siya ginuide nung musmos pa ang isipan niya.

its not as if naman na gagahasain o iihawin siya sa NU diba? tapos pagdating ng araw kapag nagipit...sa bading kakapit.

sa tingin ko naman ang pera will come later. importante din na edukasyon muna habang naglalaro and money will come later pagdating ng panahon na siya ay isa nang propesyonal na manlalaro or if he would opt to use his education pagkatapos ng basketball.

magandang commitment yan coach to guide the youth of today.

wag kang mag alala coach hindi man kalakihan ang allowance niya sa San Beda, sinisiguro ko sayo that he will be guided by my Bedan brothers sa tamang daan. wag lang siyang pasaway

sorry Red Warriors OT na.

good luck sa season 74!

ironcoach
07-07-2011, 02:37 PM
[quote=duphaR007 ]

sa tingin ko naman ang pera will come later. importante din na edukasyon muna habang naglalaro and money will come later pagdating ng panahon na siya ay isa nang propesyonal na manlalaro or if he would opt to use his education pagkatapos ng basketball.
magandang commitment yan coach to guide the youth of today.
wag kang mag alala coach hindi man kalakihan ang allowance niya sa San Beda, sinisiguro ko sayo that he will be guided by my Bedan brothers sa tamang daan. wag lang siyang pasaway.

I 've met and knew a lot of people and basketball players that for them, the money didn't come later and much worse, never came at all till they got old. And last i heard, eskwelahan din naman ang NU di ba? and wag lang siya pasaway?? eh kung yung proverbial saying nga na "don't bite the hand that feeds you"....whatever.

LION
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
ang dilemma ko right now is hindi yata feel ng SBC ako bayaran to defray my expenses kay Frando. i brought Frando to a Beda practice dati, nagustuhan siya ni Frankie, but NU had the better offer so dun ko si Frando dinala, hindi pala masaya si Frando sa NU coz hindi raw siya pinapansin ng mga coaches doon. nung nasa America ako, lumipat bakod si Frando sa Beda. feel yata ng Beda ngayon na hindi na nila ako kailangan bayaran coz si Frando na ang kusang lumapit sa kanila. Buti nalang hindi ko pa sinisingil ang NU manager with regards to Frando kundi ako na ang hinahabol nila ngayon. Frando..MASDAN MO ANG GINAWA MO. offer ng Beda sayo 3k per month. ang offer ng NU and ipinaalam ko sayo yan is 5k ngayong residence year mo then 6k, 7k, 8k, 9k, & 10k in the 5 years na maglalaro ka dun. ang sabi mo sa akin..aanhin mo ang pera kung hindi ka naman masaya. na mas importante sayo ang kaligayahan kaysa pera. 19 yrs old ka ngayon. HUWAG MONG KAKALIMUTAN YANG SINABI MO PAGDATING NG PANAHON.

Ironcoach,

From what I know, Frando will be getting 3k monthly allowance from the alumni association this year while redshirting inTeam B. When he cracks Team A next year, the alumni association will increase his monthly allowance to 5k. On top of that, a Bedan booster might provide him with an additional 5k monthly, more or less, and this amount will increase every year depending on his performance.

So, in terms of allowance, Frando can potentially receive 8k this year if a booster will adopt him, and 10k next year. But that is not the real clincher. The clincher is that he will be studying in and playing for SBC instead of NU. In terms of prestige, alumni support and basketball program, SBC is miles ahead of NU despite Sy's infusion of money.

A little bit of info. NU tried to pirate a key Red Lion last year before the start of the NCAA season. But he did not bite the very tempting financial package that was dangled by NU. Reason? Money is important but there are far more important considerations in life depending on your core set of values.

If I were an adviser to a young basketball player, I will not be solely guided nor influenced by money in choosing what is best for my ward. I will pause and take a long look at the bigger picture and go for the holistic development of my player. A kid barely out of high school is not a commodity that can be sold to the highest bidder.

We are dealing with impressionable kids who need guidance from their seniors. Look at the former players of San Beda. All of them graduated and earned their degrees. They were equipped with the necessary skills and tools to become productive members of society the moment they go out of the gates of Mendiola. They are gainfully employed while some established their own businesses. Can you say the same about the players of NU? Or even UE for that matter? If your answer is yes, then good for them. A school must have a program that will not only provide for the needs of its athletes but more importantly for their needs as students.

Your parting words to Frando - "HUWAG MONG KAKALIMUTAN YANG SINABI MO PAGDATING NG PANAHON" - seems to be a wish for the kid to fail.

Let's not be too harsh on the kid just because he made a decision that did not jibe with what you wanted for him. At the end of the day, it is his life and his decision should be respected, especially so if it seems that he made the right decision. Reading at the posts in this thread, I can say that it is Frando who ironically saw the big picture and made a courageous decision for himself. One that will define and influence his future. Based on your own words, Frando did not do it for the money. Isn't that something to be proud of? In times like this, that is a rare show of maturity from a kid, magnified by the fact that he actually needed the money.

We do not own these kids. Frando is free to decide for himself. And it seems that he made the right decision. It would be better if you will just wish the kid good luck and success as a student-athlete. I'm sure that when he becomes successful in his career, he will still look at you with respect and remember the good things that you've done for him.

It certainly does not look good for you to bash Frando in this thread. You are supposed to be the older and the wiser one. Come to think of it, all he did was disobey you, but for good reasons already mentioned above.

I hope that you will just wish him good luck. That's the best thing to do under the circumstances. And I wish you good luck too in your next coaching job.

Peace!

ironcoach
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
im not bashing Frando and will never wish for him to fail. you are just not aware of the relationship that we have kaya i can't blame you also for reading my post the way you did. yung akin eh parang hinanakit lang ng isang tatay or kuya. sobrang honest lang kasi ako sa sentiments ko and i post with feelings kasi kaya sa pagbasa mo sa post ko eh ang dating kinu-kundena ko yung bata. close kami niyan at kaya lang ako nagawang suwayin niyan eh kasi dahil narin sa pagma-maltrato na dinanas niya sa NU.

pero hindi rin ako sang-ayon sa pinalalabas mo na the best choice puntahan ng isang player eh san beda or ateneo & la salle nalang. kung ganyan mag-iisip ang lahat ng bata (student-athlete), mawawalan ng players ang ibang mga schools at darating ang panahon na mawawalan na ng kalaban ang mga high standard na paaralan tulad ng san beda.

ironcoach
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
im coaching the Cobra Energy Drink Ironmen team in the PBA D-League. i've been coaching in the PBL then the D-League since 2004 non-stop until now. naging sideline ko lang along the way yung UAAP.

gabriel
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
link:
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/225634/sports/uaap-preview-bottom-4-hoping-to-turn-fortunes-around

UAAP preview: Bottom 4 hoping to turn fortunes around
RENEE FOPALAN and REUBEN TERRADO, GMA News
07/07/2011 | 10:49 PM

(First part)

National University, University of the East, University of the Philippines and University of Santo Tomas are all hoping to turn their fortunes around in Season 74 of the UAAP and challenge last year’s semifinalists for a Final Four berth.

New combinations

The decision of do-it-all guard Paul Lee to skip his final year, and the loss of sophomore Ken Acibar and outside gunner James Martinez could lessen the Red Warriors’ chances this year.

Acibar was dropped from the team after missing the practices while Martinez used up his playing years.

But new head coach Jerry Codiñera, who teamed up with Allan Caidic in giving UE its last championship in 1985, believes teamwork and being cohesive would give them the wins this season.

“I was trying a lot of combinations and lot of schemes and ways to win in any situations. I tried everything just to be ready for the UAAP. I can’t plan ahead because I don’t know who will show up. We have players who don’t score that much but are consistent in other categories," said Codiñera, who is hoping to fill in the void left by three of UE’s top scorers last year.

“I’m also a scorer during my playing years. My defense became more prominent since I am usually tasked to defend the imports. I used to score more than 20 points, but I want my players to be complete and they can do anything so we can face anything that is thrown at us."

In the last four years, the Red Warriors both have unsuccessful attempts in the two times they managed to enter the finals.

JVP, GMA News

gabriel
07-09-2011, 03:21 PM
link:
http://www.philstar.com/thedeanscorner/articlescontent.aspx?articleId=704334&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Wide-open race marks UAAP cage wars
By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star Updated July 09, 2011 12:00 AM 0 comment to this post

MANILA, Philippines - All eight coaches are agreed that the field of battle in this season’s UAAP men’s senior basketball competitions is the toughest in years – make that, at least in the last five years. Although back-to-back-to-back defending champion Ateneo is favored to notch a four-peat, Blue Eagles coach Norman Black won’t even think of it. The threat of an ambush along the way is serious and Black said the key is to stay hungry.

For Black, winning four titles in a row won’t be a fresh silver lining in his resume. As San Miguel Beer coach in the PBA, Black did it once, starting with the Reinforced Conference in 1988 and proceeding to bag a Grand Slam the next year. But to achieve the feat in the UAAP is a big deal, particularly if Black accomplishes it this season because the opposition couldn’t get any stiffer. If Black nails a fourth straight crown, it’ll definitely be the sweetest yet.

Seven teams will gang up on Ateneo to foil the Blue Eagles’ bid for a four-peat and in the process, anything can happen. The dimension of unpredictability is what makes this season’s UAAP basketball tournament a certified box-office hit.

Although the Eagles won’t return last year’s Finals MVP Ryan Buenafe and PBA-bound Erik Salamat, they’re not viewed to skip a beat in jumpstarting their campaign. Adding 7-foot Greg Slaughter gives Ateneo a dominant center with the potential to relive Rabeh Al-Hussaini’s glory years. That factor alone should make the Eagles a cut above the rest. Throw in a formidable holdover unit led by Kirk Long, Eman Monfort, Nico Salva and Justin Chua and a bunch of blue-chip rookies, including hotshot Kiefer Ravena, and Black has the luxury of a unit that can cruise to the top.

But in the offseason, Ateneo wasn’t exactly invulnerable, losing to La Salle twice and NU once. Still, the proof in the pudding is in the eating and for Black, what matters most is the outcome in the UAAP – everything else is secondary.

Crowding Ateneo in the race for the crown jewels are FEU, Adamson, La Salle and NU. The Tamaraws are desperate for a championship with five key players winding up their varsity eligibility. The mood in the FEU locke-room is restive – the team’s battlecry is now or never. The Tams brought back Bert Flores as coach to remind them of how it was in 2005 when FEU reigned supreme – with the same Flores at the helm. Adamson has no “name” players in its roster but coach Leo Austria is convinced the Falcons could go all the way – the optimism reflects a sense of confidence that might just propel the team to the top. La Salle fortified its fences by beefing up with size, an element that compliments the Archers’ ability to run. Pressure defense will continue to be the Archers’ trademark. How quickly coach Dindo Pumaren’s big rookies can adjust to his system remains to be seen. NU is a mystery waiting to unravel. Bobby Ray Parks is the Bulldogs’ main ticket and if new coach Eric Altamirano can instill instant chemistry on the floor, there’s no telling how far NU can advance.

UST, UP and UE are in the “lower” bracket but none of their coaches will agree to the seeding. A lot is expected from the Growling Tigers, Fighting Maroons and Red Warriors who have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving it all they’ve got. The teams got tougher with new recruits so ruling them out of contention early would be premature and imprudent.

“I’m not thinking of a four-peat at the moment,” said Black, one of six ex-PBA cagers coaching in the UAAP. “All I’m thinking about is winning our first game against Adamson. It’s too soon to think about the championship. Is there more pressure on the team in trying to win four in a row? At Ateneo, there’s always pressure – it doesn’t change. The priority is to work hard and stay hungry. We’ve got to prepare for every game, offensively and defensively. It’s all about going out to take the test and passing it. We want to continue improving game after game, doing what it takes to succeed.”

Black said with five rookies in the fold, Ateneo has a lot of young blood that will sustain its winnability beyond this season. The newcomers are Slaughter, 5-11 Ravena, 6-2 Gwyne Capacio, 6-2 Von Pessumal and 5-9 B. J. Cipriano. Six players are graduating but only three – skippers Long, Monfort and Raymond Austria – are playing out their eligibility.

“We’ve got a lineup that gives us a solid inside-outside game,” said Black. “With Greg, we can do a traditional post-up like we used to with Rabeh two years ago. We lost Erik and Ryan but we’ve been reinforced by a back-to-the-basket post-up guy and four other talented rookies. Now that we’ve got size, we want to get the ball closer to the basket for high percentage shots and go to the foul line. Our main focus is defense. With our team, it doesn’t matter who scores the most points. It was like that last season. We’re bringing back the same attitude. Our concentration is winning as a team.”

Pumaren said the Green team is now more determined than ever to move up the ranks. “We’ll still rely on our speed and quickness,” said the former PBA guard known as the Bullet. “But unlike last season, now we’ve got big guys who can help out at the post. We’ll continue to be a pressing team with defense as our main thing. We’re hoping to improve on our composure and consistency. I think anyone can step up and take over a game. Our depth gives us a lot of options. Our goal is to make it back to the Final Four and gain a twice-to-beat advantage. If we survive, then we’ll start thinking about the championship.”

La Salle’s rookies are 6-8 Arnold Van Opstal, 5-8 Dan Sara, 6-6 Norbert Torres and 6-5 Pons Gotladera. Making a comeback after a two-year absence due to illness is crack point guard L. A. Revilla. Pumaren has the luxury of rotating veterans Simon Atkins, Joshua Webb, Sam Marata, Almond Vosotros, Maui Villanueva, Yutien Andrade and Papot Paredes to keep the defense guessing.

“Of course, Ateneo is the favorite, that’s a given, with their talented lineup getting a huge lift from rookies like Greg and Kiefer,” said Pumaren. “NU will be a contender with Parks and (Emmanuel) Mbe. Adamson is solid with a lot of seasoned players while FEU is always tough. Every team got stronger and you can’t take any team for granted.”

Altamirano called the upstart Bulldogs, with nine rookies, four sophomores and three juniors “the team of the future.” He said how far the varsity goes will depend on how quickly his youthful players mature during the season.

“We’ll work on our mental toughness and discipline,” said Altamirano. “It was a big relief that the UAAP Board cleared Ray-Ray to play. Now we can start focusing on the season. But with or without Ray-Ray, I think it’ll be tough to land in the Final Four. We still have a lot to work on. We’ll experience growing pains as we learn to deal with the pressure of winning. Ray-Ray will be the focal point of our offense and Mbe will keep us strong in the middle.”

Altamirano said aside from the aim of winning as many games as possible, the Bulldogs will be out to excite the fans with their brand of play and create a team that the school can be proud of.

NU’s rookies are Parks, PBA cager Samigue Eman’s brother Spencer, Kyle Neypes, Denice Villamor, Reden Celda, Ajeet Singh, Robby Celiz, Joshua Alolino and Robin Rono. The 6-7, 210-pound Mbe from Cameroon will take care of the slot for the Bulldogs.

UST coach Pido Jarencio said the competition in the league couldn’t be more balanced. “It’ll be an exciting season for sure,” he said. “All the teams got better. Ateneo is favored because any team that has a good seven-footer will be a strong contender. FEU, La Salle and Adamson will be hard to beat. I consider NU the darkhorse.”

Jarencio brought in eight rookies, including junior MVPs Kevin Ferrer and Louie Vigil. Also in the Growling Tigers roster are newcomers 6-6 Karim Abdul of Cameroon, 6-3 Kent Lao of St. Stephen, 5-9 Fil-Canadian Jamil Sheriff and 6-2 Robin Tan of Xavier. Holdovers are former PBA cager Alvin Teng’s son Jeric, Jerome Fortuna, Chris Camus, Carmelo Afuang, Paolo Pe, Eduardo Aytona and Aljohn Ungria.

“We’ve assembled a complete team that is versatile,” said Jarencio. “We’ve got depth at every position – point guard, the wings, power forward and center. Our forte is our perimeter game but now, we can play inside, too. We can run or we can execute in the halfcourt. We’re ready to compete. It was morale-boosting when we won the MBL championship in the offseason. In the Filoil tournament, we beat La Salle and San Sebastian so that’s an indication of our potential. We lost Clark Bautista because of academics and Aljun Mariano because of injuries but they’ll be back next year. We’ve got players who can make an impact like Afuang who’s an undersized power forward like a Freddie Abuda, Camus who’s a 6-4 power forward and Fortuna who’s a point guard.”

UE coach Jerry Codiñera has high hopes for a Final Four finish after the Red Warriors wound up sixth with a 6-8 record last year.

“Our goal is to land in the Final Four,” said the rookie mentor who takes over from Lawrence Chongson. “We will continue to pursue UE’s championship tradition, with 18 titles so far, including seven in a row. I’m prudent in my forecast on teams to beat. We prepared our team to go against the best and I’m very certain that our boys are ready.”

Codiñera’s coaching staff lists Billy Reyes, Allan Caidic and surprisingly, Robert Jaworski.

“We don’t have a particular style of play,” he went on. “Our boys are trained to react to ball-game situations at hand. One thing is evident, our players will never back down, cringe or duck from a hard game. We’re a young team with seven rookies and nine veterans. Our key players are composed mostly of our veterans like Paul Zamar, Biboy Enguio, Adrian Santos and Lucas Tagarda. We’re very proud of our rookies who trained hard and are determined to provide first-rate support to our veterans.”

Austria singled out Ateneo as the team to beat but declared that “it’s a wide open race in a very exciting season.” The Falcons posted a 9-5 record in the regular season last year and advanced to the Final Four, losing to eventual champion Ateneo in the semifinals.

“Our fans are expecting a lot from us,” said Austria. “We’re very optimistic of achieving our goals. We have three rookies with different roles. Ateneo is formidable and still the team to beat because of Slaughter and Ravena. FEU is a force to reckon with because of their veterans and a very talented lineup. La Salle is dangerous and they’re maturing and their bench is getting deeper with the presence of their big men. NU is the darkhorse because of Parks and they’re gaining a lot of respect from other teams because of their performance in the offseason and summer leagues.”

Austria isn’t dismissing the possibility of the other teams in the “lower” bracket to surprise the oddsmakers. “You can’t underestimate the teams in the bottom four,” he warned. “They’re not easy to beat. My goals are to get into the Final Four then into the finals and lastly, capture the championship.”

UP coach Ricky Dandan’s dream is to bring back the fighting spirit of the Maroons. “We’re focused on the process of learning how to win again, knowing what it takes and doing what it takes to win,” said Dandan, referring to UP’s 0-14 record last season.

Dandan, who played for the Maroons in 1982-85, inherits a team that can’t go anywhere but up. UP has won only 10 games in the last five years under three different coaches. Dandan took over the coaching reins from Boyet Fernandez who had previously relieved Aboy Castro.

“The teams to beat are Ateneo, Adamson, La Salle, FEU and NU,” said Dandan, a Powerade assistant coach in the PBA. “Our strength is our strong positive mindset. Of course, this mindset will be tested when the games begin. We’re focused on generating offense from our defense and that is what it takes and what needs to be done for us to get chances to win.”

Flores returns to the Tamaraws bench and checks in with an all-star coaching staff made up of Vic Pablo, Johnny Abarrientos, Richie Ticzon and Mike Oliver. As a bonus, B-Meg head coach Jorge Gallent is a consultant.

“We’re very competitive,” said Flores. “Our team still has to improve on our defense. Our target is to make it to the Final Four. We always want to keep in mind to play as a team and to play to win. The teams to beat are Ateneo, La Salle, NU and Adamson. Our strength is our transition game and our weakness is the lack of experience of our big men. This year will be different because several key players are graduating and we expect them to step up and guide the team.”

FEU’s graduating players are Aldrech Ramos, J. R. Cawaling, Pipo Noundou, Chris Exciminiano and Jens Knuttel. Gone from last year’s runner-up cast are center Reil Cervantes and Paul Sanga, expected to join the PBA draft next month. Ramos and Cawaling carry over their experience with Smart Gilas. Leading the charge is MVP R. R. Garcia.

Expect a mad scramble in the chase for the championship.

gabriel
07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
link:
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/226280/sports/no-more-0-14-season-fighting-maroons-trip-red-warriors

No more 0-14 season, Fighting Maroons trip Red Warriors
07/14/2011 | 05:39 PM

After almost two years, University of the Philippines celebrated a victory in the UAAP men's basketball tournament.

UP ended its 18-game slide on Thursday as the Fighting Maroons pulled off a 69-61 win over University of the East at the Araneta Coliseum.

The boys from Diliman last won a game on August 22, 2009 when it defeated De La Salle, 83-78, at The Arena in San Juan. The Fighting Maroons finished Season 73 with a 0-14 record.

"The feeling is more relieved than anything else. It feels good," said UP coach Ricky Dandan.

Mike Silungan, who scored 15 points and had four steals to win his first game in his two-year collegiate career, is hoping to get more victories this season. "This is a new season. It feels good to win but you can't stop working. This is only a motivation to win again."

Mike Gamboa led the Fighting Maroons with 19 points, dished out six assists and had two steals while Jet Manuel added 13 markers.

The Fighting Maroons raced to a 22-11 lead at the end of the first quarter and were never threatened after that.

"In the end, our defense made the difference. We scored but we didn't allow them to score in bundles so that kept them at bay," said Dandan.

Paul Zamar, one of the few remnants of the Paul Lee-era UE squad, had 14 points and was the lone double digit scorer for the Red Warriors. He shot 1-of-8 from the three-point range.

UE's frustration showed when Lord Casajeros was thrown out after committing a hard foul against Anjelo Montecastro late in the match. - Reuben Terrado/JVP, GMA News

Scores:

UP 69 — Gamboa 19, Silungan 15, Manuel 13, Gomez 9, Montecastro 5, Maniego 3, Gingerich 3, Romero 2, Mbah 0, Juruena 0.

UE 61 — Zamar 14, Noble 8, Javier 6, Santos 5, Sumang 4, Enguio 4, Sumido 4, Zosa 3, Chavez 3, Casajeros 3, Flores 3, Tagarda 2, Duran 2.

Quarter scores: 22-11, 39-31, 57-47, 69-61.

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/13.jpg

for more pictures, visit http://www.uaapsports.com

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:09 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/15.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/11.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:12 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/7.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/12.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/8.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/5.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/23.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
UE - UP (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/45/6.jpg

gabriel
07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/07/17/ust-shrugs-off-late-ue-fightback/

UST shrugs off late UE fightback
by Adrian Dy
Sunday, 17 July 2011 Be the first one to comment

THE University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers took their foot off the gas pedal in the fourth quarter and nearly paid for it, escaping with a 70-63 win over a never-say-die University of the East Red Warriors squad in UAAP Season 74 last July 17 at the Araneta Coliseum.

“Medyo nagrelax lang,” was UST coach Pido Jarencio’s assessment of his squad’s collapse before adding that, “kahit anong sabihin natin, lahat ng teams sa UAAP medyo competitive naman sila eh. Siguro dumating din yung time na nakuha nila yung rhythm nila [UE]. Nung second half, nakabuwelo sila, kaya yung momentum, pumunta sa kanila.”

Up 21 in the early goings of the fourth period, UST extended its lead to a game-high 23, 62-39 after Kim Lo’s buzzer-beating floater. Nothing else followed offensively for the Tigers in the next six minutes as UE pounced on every mistake and missed shot to go on a 14-2 run, with Adrian Santos, JM Noble and Roi Sumang doing the majority of the damage. With the lead down to single-digits, 62-53, the Tigers’ floor general, Jeric Fortuna, buried a triple with 2:58 left to offer some extra cushion, 65-53 with the hope that it was enough to keep UE at bay. It wasn’t.

Off a timeout, Santos was fouled and trooped to the line, where he hit his first, missed his second and put back the same miss to pull his team to within nine, 65-56. Sumang then hit a triple of his own after a miss by Kevin Ferrer on the other end, trimming the lead to just six, 65-59 with 2:07 left to play. However, Jerry Codiñera’s charges simply lacked the necessary endgame poise required to pull off the upset as Sumang’s three went over the top of the backboard. Then, on the next possession, Santos botched a shot at a transition layup as the ball slipped out of his hands without any provocation from a UST player. Ultimately, those two bungled attempts to score cost UE its chance to even its record at 1-1, and instead lifted UST to the top of the standings with a 2-0 record, tied with the defending champions Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles.

Ferrer, the 2010 UAAP Juniors MVP, led all scorers with 19 points, though he had none in the fourth. Jeric Teng added 13, while Fortuna finished with 12 and eight assists, a high in this young season. Karim Abdul also looked vastly better in his second outing, chipping in with 10 points, nine rebounds and two blocks.

Fifth-year veteran Paul Zamar once again led UE in scoring, this time with 18 points, though he missed all seven of his triple attempts. Sumang posted 14 points, seven rebounds and four dimes, while JM Noble and JR Sumido had nine each. Interestingly enough, Codiñera shook up his first five and went with a quintet that combined for a measly two points, as the Red Warriors finished with a massive 61 bench points to compensate. They’ll need to work better to take care of the ball, however, as they committed more turnovers than their opponent for the second straight time this season, which led to 18 turnover points for the Tigers.

UST’s next game comes a week from now, on July 24, against the 1-1 Adamson Soaring Falcons. “Yung momentum, nasa kanila, momentum nasa amin, siguro breaks of the game na lang. Basta kami, preparado kami,” promised Jarencio. UE faces a huge challenge as well, going up against Ateneo, on Saturday, July 23.

The scores:

UST 70 – Ferrer 19, Teng 13, Fortuna 12, Abdul 10, Vigil 7, Camus 3, Afuang 3, Lo 2, Pe 1, Tan 0, Sheriff 0

UE 63 – Zamar 18, Sumang 14, Sumido 9, Noble 9, Javier 6, Santos 5, Duran 2, Zosa 0, Montelibano 0, Chavez 0, Enguio 0, Tagarda 0, Flores 0

Quarter scoring: 11-8, 35-22, 60-39, 70-63

maroonmartian
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Nag eexperiment pa si Coach Jerry. Sayang nagpatambak sila sa 3rd Q. Hindi na sana sila nahirapang maghabol. Pero ang gandang run nun. They caught the Tigers napping.

gabriel
07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5948664711_93d0266c64.jpg

for more pictures, visit http://www.inboundpass.com

gabriel
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6006/5948665715_aaeced3cf6.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 09:58 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6150/5949218350_980f02fcfa.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/5948607303_4bc6d35ab1.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/5949164372_11e64c6dbf.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 10:02 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/5949165038_19e516ef8e.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 10:03 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5949185652_193038f1fa.jpg

gabriel
07-18-2011, 10:04 PM
UE - UST (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5949183250_7dcde12b72.jpg

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/07/21/feu-overcomes-sluggish-start-to-rout-ue/

FEU overcomes sluggish start to rout UE
by Adrian Dy
Thursday, 21 July 2011 42 Comments

FOR the first eight minutes of play, the University of the East shocked everyone, storming out to a 12-2 lead over last season’s runners-up, Far Eastern University.

When the Red Warriors resume practice tomorrow, they’re going to replay those eight minutes in their heads and wonder how they can sustain it for an entire game as the Tamaraws regained control in the second quarter and never let them back into it, capturing a 66-47 defensive affair in the 74th season of the UAAP last July 21 at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Tamaraws missed 12 of their first 13 shots in the game’s opening minutes, as Adrian Santos and Roi Sumang ran circles around them. However, the scoring drought wouldn’t last the entire game, and a 10-0 run spanning the first and second quarters tied the game at 12-all. A turnaround jumper by JM Noble swung the lead back in UE’s favor, 14-12 with 7:56 left in the quarter, but that was the last time his team found itself on top FEU held UE to just seven more points in the half, nine total in the second quarter. On offense, Ping Exciminano, Cris Tolomia and JR Cawaling provided the firepower to put FEU on top, 30-21. The defensive intensity was ratcheted up even further in the third, as FEU allowed just seven points in 10 minutes, making it 45-28 and allowing coach Bert Flores to field in reserves like AA Fabian and Roger Pogoy in the fourth quarter.

“Rebounds talaga…first quarter, first half, talo kami sa rebounds eh. At least sa third quarter, sa fourth…na-control na namin yung game, kami na ang nag-dictate ng tempo,” said Flores, who added that he sorely missed the contributions of the injured Pipo Noundou, who gave the Tams 9.4 rebounds a game in the 2011 FilOil Flying V Pre-season Cup.

Exciminano led all scorers with 12 points, four steals and two blocks. Tolomia added nine points and a massive 12 rebounds, while Cawaling and Russel Escoto scored eight each as the Tams didn’t need big performances from the likes of RR Garcia and Aldrech Ramos to win this one. Instead, FEU’s defense shut down the perimeter play of the Red Warriors, as UE managed only four points outside of the shaded lane. Coach Jerry Codiñera’s charges also shot themselves in the foot by commiting 29 turnovers, most of them unforced, which FEU converted into 29 turnover points. Flores also switched things up with his rotation, featuring shorter, three-minute stints for his guys, explaining, “Mahaba pa ang liga eh…Madali kasi like nung-Adamson, pito [players] lang, alam na nila [Adamson].”

Noble led UE with 11 points, while Santos scored 10 and pulled down nine rebounds. Like what coach Flores alluded to, the Red Warriors were able to keep in step early due to their strong rebounding, as they finished with 48 boards, 23 of them on the offensive end. The shorter UE team couldn’t maximize those second-chance possessions, however, getting just 14 points out of them.

FEU next plays the NU Bulldogs, on Sunday, July 24, while things only get harder for UE as its next opponents will be defending champion Ateneo on Saturday, July 23.

The scores:

FEU 66 – Exciminiano 12, Tolomia 9, Escoto 8, Cawaling 8, Romeo 7, Garcia 7, Ramos 6, Pogoy 5, Foronda 2, Cruz 2, Sentcheu 0, Fabian 0, Mendoza 0, Bringas 0, Knuttel 0

UE 47 – Noble 11, Santos 10, Sumang 6, Casajeros 6, Duran 5, Javier 3, de Leon 1, Zamar 2, Tagarda 2, Zosa 0, Sabangan 0, Enguio 0, Sumido 0, Flores 0

Quarter scoring: 6-12, 30-21, 45-28, 66-47

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
UE - FEU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/5961601332_1fc25369c9.jpg

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:22 PM
UE - FEU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/5961045381_857da71d5b.jpg

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:23 PM
UE - FEU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5961044195_9e9e40e56d.jpg

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:24 PM
UE - FEU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/5961603048_d2153acaa8.jpg

gabriel
07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
link:
http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Article.aspx?articleid=56

FEU bucks cold start to rip UE
Anthony Divinagracia, Thursday, July 21, 2011.

Manila, Philippines - FEU overcame a cold start and an early defensive clampdown from a gutsy UE side to revisit the win column, 66-47, on Thursday in the 74th UAAP men's basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

Chris Exciminiano led the Tamaraws' charge with 12 points, including six straight baskets to open the final period and give FEU its biggest lead for good, 53-30.

The victory improved FEU’s record to 2-1. But more importantly, it helped restore the Tamaraws’ confidence which got dented by a freak 59-78 loss to Adamson over the weekend.

“Nagulat kami nung una. Medyo nanggigil din yung mga bata. Buti na lang nag-settle down sa huli,” FEU coach Bert Flores said after the Tamaraws found themselves trailing, 6-12, in the opening quarter no thanks to UE’s pesky man-to-man defense.

“We still need to work our game. Even during the preseason, we have this bad habit of starting out slow and we need to work on it quickly.”

The Tamaraws uncharacteristically started out flat as UE began wrapping the defensive blanket on FEU’s shooters, particularly its go-to-guy RR Garcia, who was held scoreless in the entire first quarter.

But while UE focused on guarding Garcia, the Warriors proved no match against FEU’s platoon of wingmen as former National Team standouts Aldrech Ramos and JR Cawaling, and Exciminiano teamed up in a vicious 10-2 run to snatch the lead, 18-14.

Rookie Chris Tolomia fueled that spurt with a five-point swing and Cawaling hit a long triple to completely alter the complexion of the game and push the Tamaraws nine, 30-21, at the break.

The Warriors tried to summon the defensive energy that put them in control of the first quarter. But none of UE’s players had the legs to keep pace with the Tamaraws who used a 15-man rotation to dominate the second half.

FEU tallied 22 points from the perimeter against UE’s 8. The Tamaraws also ruled the turnover and second-chance points departments with 29 and 17, respectively.

Exciminiano, FEU’s lone double-digit scorer, got able backing from Tolomia who finished with 9 points and 12 rebounds. Fellow newcomer Russell Escoto and Cawaling had 8 markers apiece while Garcia and Terrence Romeo added 7 each.

JM Noble chalked up 11 points while Adrian Santos added 10 to lead UE which fell deeper into the cellar at 0-3.

The scores:

FEU 66 – Exciminiano 12, Tolomia 9, Escoto 8, Cawalin 8, Romeo 7, Garcia 7, Ramos 6, Pogoy 5, Foronda 2, Cruz 2,
Sentcheu 0, Fabian 0, Mendoza 0, Bringas 0, Knuttel 0.

UE 47 – Noble 11, Santos 10, Sumang 6, Casajeros 6, Duran 5, Javier 3, De Leon 2, Zamar 2, Tagarda 2, Zosa 0, Sabangan 0, Enguio 0, Flores 0, Sumido 0.

Quarter scores: 6-12, 30-21, 45-28, 66-47.

gabriel
07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 61 - 73 ADMU

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
link:
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/328036/eagles-toy-with-ue-warriors

Eagles toy with UE Warriors
By JONAS TERRADO
July 23, 2011, 8:07pm

MANILA, Philippines — Even at a lower RPM, defending champion Ateneo proved too much for winless University of the East Saturday as the Blue Eagles clawed their way to a 73-61 win to nail their fourth straight win in the 74th UAAP basketball wars at the Araneta Coliseum.

Greg Slaughter, the tallest player in the league at a shade below 7 feet, feasted on the smaller UE frontline, pumping in a game-high 18 points and hauling 10 rebounds and two blocks.

Another prized rookie, Kiefer Ravena had 13 points and four assists, Nico Salva had 10 points and guard Eman Monfort produced nine points, six rebounds and four assists as the Blue Eagles overcame a surprising challenge by the Warriors.

"Actually, we struggled the whole game," said coach Norman Black. "It was a pretty tough game but luckily we didn't turn the ball over too much and we kept trying to put the ball inside."

Paul Zamar had 13 points and JM Noble hit 11 markers but the Recto-based cagers remained in the cellar with a 0-4 record.

Earlier, fancied La Salle finally barged into the win column after three assignments with a 79-67 victory over University of the Philippines.

Unlike in their two previous games where LA Revilla was the lone bright spot for the Green Archers, almost everyone contributed in this rout of the Fighting Maroons.

"We played aggressive ball, we controlled the boards and we took care the ball unlike in the first two games," said coach Dindo Pumaren. "Gumanda ang defense namin but we still need to work a lot."

Sophomore guard Luigi de la Paz led the way with 14 points, seven rebounds, four assists in 24 minutes off the bench while center Arnold Van Opstal posted his best game of the season with 13 points and six boards.

Two other Archers scored in double figures with Jarelan Tampus and center Yutien Andrada scattering 13 and 11 points, respectively, as the Taft-based cagers defeated UP for the eighth time in their last nine meetings.

First Game

LA SALLE 79 — de la Paz 14, Van Opstal 13, Tampus 13, Andrada 11, Revilla 9, Atkins 7, Villanueva 6, Torres 4, Vosotros 2, Sara 0, Gotladera 0, Webb 0, Mendoza 0, Marata 0.

UP 67 — Silungan 16, Mbah 15, Manuel 13, Montecastro 11, Gomez 5, Juruena 4, Gamboa 3, Romero 0, Pascual 0, Maniego 0, Gingerich 0.

Quarters: 20-12; 36-29; 59-39; 79-67.

Second Game

ATENEO 73 — Slaughter 18, Ravena 13, Salva 10, Monfort 9, Long 9, Tiongson 8, Erram 2, Chua 2, Austria 2, Pessumal 0, Sumalinog 0, Gonzaga 0, Golla 0.

UE 61 — Zamar 13, Noble 11, Javier 9, Santos 7, de Leon 6, Sumang 5, Enguio 5, Chavez 2, Tagarda 2, Flores 1, Montelibano 0, Sumido 0, Duran 0.

Quarters: 16-14; 28-25; 51-39; 73-61.

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:14 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5967074141_4663e357d1.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:16 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/1.jpg

for more pictures, visit http://www.uaapsports.studio23.tv

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:16 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/2.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:17 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/3.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:17 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/4.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/5.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:19 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/7.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:19 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/8.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:20 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/9.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/10.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/12.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/14.jpg

gabriel
07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/85/25.jpg

Joescoundrel
07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
All of those questionable choices Coach Jerry Codinera made in the offseason may finally be coming back to haunt him. He has yet to win a game in the UAAP, and with his rpesent roster, would be hard pressed to get any win. There simply isn't enough size or talent for UE now, and those who doubt this need only look at the current 0-4 record. And with no clear recruit on the radar, this might continue well into the following season.

ironcoach
07-25-2011, 05:30 PM
All of those questionable choices Coach Jerry Codinera made in the offseason may finally be coming back to haunt him. He has yet to win a game in the UAAP, and with his rpesent roster, would be hard pressed to get any win. There simply isn't enough size or talent for UE now, and those who doubt this need only look at the current 0-4 record. And with no clear recruit on the radar, this might continue well into the following season.

At 1st it seemed like he was being accorded a prestigious job of a lifetime by his alma mater. Little did it occur to him that he was in fact being fed to the dogs. But it still depends on where he's honestly and sincerely coming from. Did he really believe in his heart that he can make a difference?? Or is he just there for the joyride? Some sort of a payback being collected for his past services and the honor that was brought to the institution. Another possibility is that he could have been granted immunity regardless of results and achievements.

LION
07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Why not get Robert Jaworski as coach. If he is the UE coach, it would be easier to recruit blue chips. Iba ang charisma ni Tatang. Pati tatay ko sigurado magiging fan ng warriors. :)

r2z
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
so walang recruits sa pipeline? its going to be hard for him to win now moving forward.

ironcoach
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
[quote=LION ]

Why not get Robert Jaworski as coach. If he is the UE coach, it would be easier to recruit blue chips. Iba ang charisma ni Tatang. Pati tatay ko sigurado magiging fan ng warriors. :)

Jawo just turned 65 last March and will be 66 when season 75 rolls along next year. Buti nga because of my idea sa Tanduay Gym na nagpa-practice ang UE coz if not, sa UE gym on the 5th floor na walang elevator parin nagpa-praxtice yon. Everybody knows na fit na fit parin si Jawo but to climb up 5-storeys every single day for a whole year or more??
But i also heard na, before kay Codinera inoffer yung coaching job, tinanong din muna si Jawo kung interesado ba siyang hawakan ang team pero ang sagot niya.......... ;)

Joescoundrel
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
so walang recruits sa pipeline? its going to be hard for him to win now moving forward.

You had a pretty solid forward prospect named Don Trollano, and a good enough African named Henri Beteyane. Who would have been both ready for this season.

Hmm...

ironcoach
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM

You had a pretty solid forward prospect named Don Trollano, and a good enough African named Henri Beteyane. Who would have been both ready for this season.

Hmm...

Dun ko sasagutin yan sa "Questions For Ironcoach"

red_engr1987
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM

meron recruits UE TEAM B puro guards and small forward lol :), wala na yung import ready to play next season :(

red_engr1987
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Hmm...

I can't understand what's in the mind of Coach Jerry and Team Manager Jess tanchangco they let go Don Trollano & Henri Betayene :(

gabriel
07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/07/28/falcons-throttle-hapless-red-warriors/

Falcons throttle hapless Red Warriors
by Adrian Dy
Thursday, 28 July 2011 21 Comments

THE Adamson University Falcons have found a script they like and are sticking to it.

For the third straight game, the Falcons got their opponents back-pedaling from the opening tip, jumping out to an 11-0 lead that they never relinquished to destroy the still-winless University of the East Red Warriors, 85-54 in the 74th season of the UAAP last July 28 at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig.

“We had a good start because we had to dictate the tempo of the game,” explained Leo Austria, Adamson’s head coach. “It’s dangerous to play against a winless team becaust they have nothing to lose. And I told them, ‘Matalao sa iba, wag lang dito,’ dahil it’s useless to beat a good team tapos matalo sa UE.”

That big run, which the Warriors had no response to until six minutes had gone by, included buckets by Alex Nuyles and Jan Colina, who simply overpowered their UE counterparts, JR Sumido and rookie Chris Javier. Free throws from Paul Zamar and Nico Montelibano cut the lead down to single digits, 13-6, and then 17-9, but the dispirited look on the faces of the Warriors was already evident, especially after Biboy Enguio’s triple was ruled to have left his hand after the buzzer to the end first quarter. Enguio tried again early in the second quarter, with his jumper trimming down the lead to single digits, 21-13. But that was the last time UE came close. A put-back and a triple by Roider Caberera, followed by a triple by Lester Alvarez, forced UE out of the zone defense they were employing. But Adamson took control from that point on.

Despite a 39-27 lead at the break, Austria told his boys, “Whatever happens, don’t look at the score. Let us do what we’re supposed to do.” Clearly, his charges dutifully obeyed. Adamson began the third quarter with a 10-0 run, with Nuyles nailing three jump shots in that stretch. The fourth quarter began similarly, with Allen Etrone and Eric Camson combining for six unanswered to give the Falcons a commanding 72-38 advantage with 8:37 left in the game. That prompted Austria to start cycling his reserves in, but not before Cabrera nailed another triple to give them their biggest lead of the game, 75-40. Towards the end, Austria even got the opportunity to field in his third-stringers, his so-called “orange team.” “Hindi sila nag-give up. They ran our system from start to finish,” the tactician said after the game.

Alvarez broke out of a mini-slump to top score for the Falcons with 16 points, nailing 4-of-6 from downtown. Nuyles added 11 markers in just 21 minutes of play, while Colina and Camson chipped in with nine each. The Falcons staked out a 26-11 turnover point advantage to help create the large separation between the two teams. They also neutralized UE’s strength on the boards, as the Red Warriors finished with under 40 rebounds for the first time in five encounters.

UE was led by Zamar, who had 18 points, two rebounds and a steal. Former San Beda Red Cub Javier and JM Noble had six each, while four other Red Warriors contributed four points a piece.

Now at 3-1, the Falcons face a quick turnaround as their next match is scheduled for Sunday, July 30, against the NU Bulldogs. The Red Warriors meanwhile, hope to finally get a win when they pit their 0-5 record against the De La Salle Green Archers on the same day.

The scores:

Adamson 85 – Alvarez 16, Nuyles 11, Colina 9, Camson 9, Manyara 8, Cabrera 8, Etrone 6, Brondial 4, Cañada 4, Rios 3, Olalia 3, Agustin 2, Lozada 2, Petilos 0, Manuel 0, Monteclaro 0

UE 54 – Zamar 18, Javier 6, Noble 6, de Leon 4, Santos 4, Enguio 4, Tagarda 4, Casajeros 3, Sabangan 2, Zosa 1, Montelibano 1, Chavez 1, Sumang 0, Sumido 0, Flores 0

Quarter scoring: 19-9, 39-27, 66-38, 85-54

The_Big_Cat
07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
So when was the last time, UE had a 0-4 start in the UAAP?

ironcoach
07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
So when was the last time, UE had a 0-4 start in the UAAP?

I went 0-4 last year en route to a 1-6 1st round outing. They're 0-5 as of today breaking last year's 0-4 start. (hindi ko po ipinag-mamalaki yung record ko last year at muli kong ini-hihingi yon ng dispensa sa buong UE community at lahat ng UE supporters.)

oca
07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I refuse to believe that those who did the "ethnic cleansing" have not for one second considered the consequences we all are seeing now.

Pinoys have a "basketball culture", even non-athletic and academics know what the game is about. Di na kailangang ulit-ulitin anong line-up ang dapat-- that you need talent and height, and in college ball a certain level of collective maturity in the roster to be a winner, all to be harnessed by a competent coach.

Alam nila kung ano ang mawawala in letting go of certain players but they did. The community knows who gave the orders and where they can be located in the campus. Simply, those who are accountable are not anonymous and are not in hiding.

So, what's the logic behind it all?

Going by all the post in the different forums, imo, it's boils down to the saying, "You stand by the institution which you represent."

The players who were let go had their loyalties to the former coach, plain and simple.

How to address that was a matter of personal judgement on the part of those in authority.

They have not spoken publicly to explain, justify or defend what they did. That to me is indicative that their accountability is well defined-- it is not to the basketball community at large, nor to the basketball fanatics within the UE community.

For all we know they have have made conscious decision to rebuild from the ground up and were all too willing to sacrifice this season and even the next to send a message across-- "Anyone who suits up for UE must have their loyalty to UE first and foremost."

Consequently, one can also the question the loyalty of those in authority, how could they do what they did if they know it will result to an embarrassing season?

Well, if you're not in authority, you can question all you can but you can't take action.

red_engr1987
07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I refuse to believe that those who did the "ethnic cleansing" have not for one second considered the consequences we all are seeing now.

Pinoys have a "basketball culture", even non-athletic and academics know what the game is about. Di na kailangang ulit-ulitin anong line-up ang dapat-- that you need talent and height, and in college ball a certain level of collective maturity in the roster to be a winner, all to be harnessed by a competent coach.

Alam nila kung ano ang mawawala in letting go of certain players but they did. The community knows who gave the orders and where they can be located in the campus. Simply, those who are accountable are not anonymous and are not in hiding.

So, what's the logic behind it all?

Going by all the post in the different forums, imo, it's boils down to the saying, "You stand by the institution which you represent."

The players who were let go had their loyalties to the former coach, plain and simple.

How to address that was a matter of personal judgement on the part of those in authority.

They have not spoken publicly to explain, justify or defend what they did. That to me is indicative that their accountability is well defined-- it is not to the basketball community at large, nor to the basketball fanatics within the UE community.

For all we know they have have made conscious decision to rebuild from the ground up and were all too willing to sacrifice this season and even the next to send a message across-- "Anyone who suits up for UE must have their loyalty to UE first and foremost."

Consequently, one can also the question the loyalty of those in authority, how could they do what they did if they know it will result to an embarrassing season?

Well, if you're not in authority, you can question all you can but you can't take action.

very well said, but i feel so sad with UE RW MBT UAAP Season 74 Campaign its getting closer to 0 - 14 :(

maroonmartian
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/14375-ue-is-the-new-nu

U.E. is the new N.U.

Too early to tell. UP still holds that title. 0-14? Not yet. Baka maisahan niyo kami sa second round.

mrlibog
07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
jerry codinera should bear the responsibility for destroying the ue basketball program. he blew up a decent basketball team by getting rid of veteran players with size. instead he recruited young players who have no potential. any basketball fan can see that chavez zosa and montelibano are not uaap caliber players. certainly no match for lee acibar trollano betayne rosopa etc. i cant imagine what kind of logic he has in getting those players. ue team b is full of his new recruits who apparently are even worse than those 3. how can a pba great have such horrible basketball sense?

gabriel
07-31-2011, 11:35 AM
UE - ADU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/92/1.jpg

gabriel
07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
UE - ADU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/92/4.jpg

gabriel
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
UE - ADU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/92/15.jpg

gabriel
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
UE - ADU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/92/11.jpg

gabriel
07-31-2011, 11:47 AM
UE - ADU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/92/13.jpg

gabriel
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 63 - 87 DLSU

gabriel
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/07/31/de-la-salle-compounds-ues-woes/

De La Salle compounds UE’s woes
by Adrian Dy
Sunday, 31 July 2011 48 Comments

FOR the first 13 minutes, De La Salle University looked poised to take on the unenviable role of the University of the East’s first victim. That is, until Jarelan Tampus decided that enough was enough.

The former Letran Squire scored 10 of his 13 first half points in a decisive 28-7 second quarter run to power the Green Archers to a decisive 87-63 beating of the Red Warriors in the 74th season of the UAAP last July 31 at the PhilSports Arena.

Tampus’ game-tying bank shot turned a tight game into a rout, putting the Archers up 45-26 at halftime, leading to a final score of 87-63, last July 31 at the FilSports Arena, in the 74th season of the UAAP.

The Red Warriors, cellar dwellers all season, seemed primed to break out in this game, leaping out to a 9-3 start behind JM Noble and rookie BJ Zosa. A jumper near the end of the first quarter by Almond Vosotros tied things up at 13-all, paving the way for a second quarter that was comprised mostly of both sides exchanging shots until the big run by anchored on Tampus’ play.

In the third quarter, UE tried to make up for its collapse by overzealously working on defense. The move backfired horribly, though, with forward Erwin Duran committing back to back fouls that led to his fouling out barely a minute into the quarter. And, on succeeding possessions, the Red Warrior defenders were almost always caught clipping or hitting DLSU snipers in the act of shooting. Simon Atkins and Luigi de la Paz took advantage of UE’s mental lapses as they helped pad the lead to 22 while containing coach Jerry Codiñera’s troops, who couldn’t trim the deficit below 15. That allowed La Salle coach Dindo Pumaren to his third-stringers some minutes, with Papot Paredes, Joshua Webb, Ponso Gotladera, Martin Reyes and Dan Sara playing from late in the third through the fourth periods. On multiple occassions, the lead grew to as high as 28.

Tampus, in his second season with the Archers, led all scorers with 15 points on 5-of-8 shooting, going 5-of-6 from the line. He also finished with three rebounds and two steals. In his last year of eligibility, Atkins broke out of a shooting slump with a 4-for-5 performance that earned him 12 points to go with his five dimes. LA Revilla, meanwhile, added 10 points.

The Green Archers finally leaped past the .500 mark with the day’s win, their third straight after losing their first two games. They face a big challenge next, going up against the Adamson Falcons on Saturday, August 6. The Warriors, on the other hand, have lost all their first round assignments, and hope to gain some momentum going into the second round when they play the NU Bulldogs on August 6 as well.

The scores:

DLSU 87 – Tampus 15, Atkins 12, Revilla 10, Vosotros 7, Torres 6, de la Paz 5, Mendoza 5, Marata 5, Van Opstal 4, Reyes 4, Webb 4, Andrada 3, Paredes 2, Sara 0, Gotladera 0

UE 63 – Santos 14, Zamar 10, Noble 10, Zosa 9, Javier 4, Chavez 4, Casajeros 4, Montelibano 2, Tagarda 2, Sumido 2, Duran 2, Sumang 0, Sabangan 0, de Leon 0, Enguio 0, Flores 0

Quarter scoring: 13-13, 45-26, 65-44, 87-63

gabriel
08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
UE - DLSU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/100/20.jpg

gabriel
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
UE - DLSU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/100/28.jpg

gabriel
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
UE - DLSU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/100/18.jpg

gabriel
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
UE - DLSU (Round 1)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/100/22.jpg

gabriel
08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 72 - 71 NU

thadeus
08-06-2011, 02:58 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 72 - 71 NU

Gudjab! Congrats. Hindi bumitaw.

gabriel
08-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Good game by the boys ;D kudos to Zamar, Sumang, Santos, Enguio, Noble, Javier, Tagarda, Coach Jerry, and the rest of the guys. It's a nice win, but still we have 6 losses (at present) this season ;D let's just be humble with this victory. Congrats again to the whole Team. More battles to come ;D

gabriel
08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 72 - 71 NU

Gudjab! Congrats. Hindi bumitaw.

oo nga ;D

gabriel
08-06-2011, 06:21 PM
link:
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/228634/sports/ue-beats-nu-to-end-1st-round-on-winning-note

UE beats NU to end 1st round on winning note
08/06/2011 | 03:45 PM

As the only remaining member of University of the East's 14-0 elimination round sweep in the UAAP men's basketball tournament in 2007, Paul Zamar doesn't want to be on the the losing end this time just like University of the Philippines last year.

"Kapag naiisip ko 'yung 0-14, natatakot ako. Ayokong umalis sa UE na talunan (I get scared whenever the 0-14 record comes to my mind. I don't want to end my collegiate playing year with a losing record)," said Zamar.

Lucky for him, his teammates also don't want that infamous record and 'loser' tag either.

The UE Red Warriors racked up six straight points in the final one minute of the match to stun the Bobby Ray Parks-led National U Bulldogs, 72-71, Saturday to finally nail a win after seven tries in the UAAP Season 74 at the Araneta Coliseum.

Adrian Santos hit back-to-back baskets including a short stab over NU's Emmanuel Mbe from a Roi Sumang feed in the final 57.3 seconds of the match for the marginal basket, which completed UE's comeback from five points down with almost two minutes left in the final canto.

NU rookie Parks missed the opportunity of winning the match for the Bulldogs, missing both of his free throws with 7.7 ticks to go and failing to score on a tough putback attempt. A jumpball play ensued with 2.3 seconds left with UE winning the tap and the match.

The Red Warriors tasted their first win after six forgettable losses—with an average losing margin of 16.8 points—to wrap up their first round campaign. It has been a trying season for the Red Warriors after veterans Paul Lee and Ken Acibar left the team.

Zamar finished with a career-high 20 points and grabbed five rebounds while Ebrahim Enguio scored 11. Sumang had 10 markers, six assists and two steals.

NU ended its first round campaign with a 2-5 record.

The Bulldogs led 38-30 but a 9-0 run put the Red Warriors on top. Consecutive three-pointers by NU's Dennis Ignacio and UE’s Zamar tied the game at the half, 41-41.

After a JM Noble three-point play, Cedrick Labing-isa made two three throws to give NU a 71-66 lead. That was the last time the Bulldogs scored.

Enguio hit a lay-up and Santos scored on a short stab to trail by only one point before the latter made the marginal basket in UE's next play.

Parks paced the Bulldogs with 23 points, six rebounds and two steals but failed to nail the crucial baskets. Ignacio had 16 points while Mbe had 13 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks.

Subplots

It was also the first win for UE rookie coach Jerry Codiñera, who was emotional after the game. The former Red Warrior was one of UP coach Boyet Fernandez's assistants when the Fighting Maroons went 0-14 last season.

"It happened to me before but I'm always focused on what I have," said Codinera, known as "The Defense Minister" during his PBA career, "The guys stuck with the game plan. We kept on executing plays even though NU had the lead and it all paid off."

Codinera's first win as a UAAP mentor also came at the expense of NU counterpart Eric Altamirano, who was his coach when Purefoods won the 1997 PBA All-Filipino Conference title. — Reuben Terrado/JVP, GMA News

Joescoundrel
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
^ You see all the good thigns that can happen when you let the veterans take you home all the way?

Bon Chavez and BJ Zosa and Nico Montelibano just don't have enough game right now to be playing a lot of minutes, much less starting. For UE to have any chance at all they need to trust their veterans, even the ones that are supposedly "Lawrence Chongson" boys. They did precisely that with Paul Zamar and Boboy Enguio on the firing end, then Roi Sumang and Adrian Santos on the drive-draw and baseline action against NU.

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6006/6017176302_e3e91f2738.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/6017177152_0a66f2662b.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/6017176994_3151778718.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:46 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6002/6016624287_3e51e7eb76.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/6016622409_ba60181f49.jpg

gabriel
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6002/6017176454_019c5f2891.jpg

gabriel
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/6017176562_c5eb422119.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/6016623473_4b097175f3.jpg

gabriel
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
UE - NU (Round 1)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6142/6016622741_4b906e14a1.jpg

mrlibog
08-08-2011, 11:14 PM
jerry finally woke up and used the veterans plus sumang. the rookies were benched and rightfully so. the result was ue's 1st win. he should stick to this lineup for ue to compete. not nececarily win but at least compete and not get humiliated. sumang creates a lot of oppurtunities with his penetrations.

Joescoundrel
08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
From the UAAP Media Center - - -

August 13 (Saturday) / Araneta Coliseum

1PM NU vs. UE
3PM ADMU vs. FEU

August 14 (Sunday) / Araneta Coliseum

If DLSU wins on August 11:

1PM UP vs. UST
3PM ADU vs. DLSU

If UST wins on August 11:

1PM UP vs. DLSU
3PM ADU vs. UST

gabriel
08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
From the UAAP Media Center - - -

August 13 (Saturday) / Araneta Coliseum

1PM NU vs. UE
3PM ADMU vs. FEU

August 14 (Sunday) / Araneta Coliseum

If DLSU wins on August 11:

1PM UP vs. UST
3PM ADU vs. DLSU

If UST wins on August 11:

1PM UP vs. DLSU
3PM ADU vs. UST

back to back NU games? ;D

gabriel
08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 51 - 91 NU

paolo
08-13-2011, 10:47 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 51 - 91 NU
??? Sir Gabriel Just came from work. Tama ba ang score? UE lost by 40 points?

gabriel
08-13-2011, 11:52 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 51 - 91 NU
??? Sir Gabriel Just came from work. Tama ba ang score? UE lost by 40 points?

yes. tama yung score :(

gabriel
08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
link:
http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Article.aspx?articleid=108

No match: Bulldogs gore Warriors, 91-51
Josiah Israel Albelda, Saturday, August 13, 2011.

91-51.

The National University Bulldogs worked like a Swiss clock all day long to demolish the hapless University of the East Red Warriors, 91-51, in the most lopsided game of the 74th UAAP men's basketball tournament today at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Out to get back at the Warriors, the Bulldogs finally showed the potential that had pundits anointing them as title contenders in the preseason, with Emmanuel Mbe bullying his way against an overmatched UE frontline and the rest of the team connecting accurately from beyond the arc.

Mbe posted season-highs of 21 points and 16 rebounds in his most dominant performance yet even as Bobby Ray Parks almost had a triple-double with 18 points, eight boards and seven assists.

The Sampaloc-based five was fantastic from the field, shooting 47.1% from rainbow territory and 50.9% overall to book their third win, good for sixth in the league.

"Everything worked for us," Coach Eric Altamirano told reporters. "Our defense was good, Mbe stepped up and we shot well from the field. It was redemption for us beating UE."

NU attacked from the opening tip and pushed on to cream the hapless Warriors, who could not get anything going in their seventh loss in eight games.

Robby Celiz, a transferee from Rizal Technological University, drilled in a shot from 12 feet out to bring the Bulldogs its biggest advantage at 88-44.

"We were very relentless in this game," Altamirano said. "We never stopped."

Eleven players scored for NU, which got five double-digit scorers in Mbe, Parks, Dennice Villamor, Joeffrey Javillonar and Joseph Terso.

Meanwhile, the Warriors skidded to the defeat with 27.6% shooting, including two-of-23 (8.7%) from beyond the arc as nobody was able to break into double figures.

Lord Casajeros had eight points but was whistled for a technical foul late in the game for taunting. Adrian Santos added seven points and six rebounds while BJ Zosa and Chris Javier had six markers apiece.

The scores:

NU (91) - Mbe 21, Parks 18, Villamor 10, Javillonar 10, Terso 10, Alolino 8, Ignacio 7, Neypes 2, Eman 2, Celiz 2, Singh 1,
Rono 0, Labing-isa 0, Khobuntin 0

UE (51) - Casajeros 8, Santos 7, Zosa 6, Javier 6, Sumang 4, Enguio 4, Zamar 4, Sumido 4, Sabangan 2, Chavez 2, Tagarda 2, Duran 2, Montelibano 0, De Leon 0, Noble 0, Flores 0

Quarters:20-14, 40-20, 69-38, 91-51

gabriel
08-14-2011, 12:03 AM
UE - NU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6130/6038096405_2ebb9eb74d.jpg

gabriel
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
UE - NU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/6038096075_2b6f93e97c.jpg

maroonmartian
08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
^ That 40 point lead matched the losing margin my team (UP) experienced against your team (UE). Tanong ko lang, is that the LARGEST UAAP Seniors Basketball WINNING MARGIN?

naz-T
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
quota na ang UE. pwede na simulan ang off-season :)

naka 1 win na eh. baka kahit mga taga UE hindi maisip kung saan nila huhukayin ang panalo this season :)

Joescoundrel
08-16-2011, 08:16 AM
I think UE should seriously think about asking at least Don Trollano to come back. Without any clear recruits on the horizon the Warriors will need all the help they can get.

bchoter
08-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Can we seriously ask Trollano too? :)

zoom2k7
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
hahaha mukhang maganda ngang makita sa dilaw na uniforme yun si Trollano, pero i doubt kung pakawalan pa ng mga tiga san marcelino yun maraming mawawala sa kanila kaya medyo lapitin din sila ng mga recruits andun na nga sila Raymark Cabrera of mapua and Marty Pearce of feu pati si Vince tinte yata?

Nun nawala si Trollano nakuha naman namin si Jeriz Ruiz from adamson parang trade baga....lol and another smallish big guy Miguel Abaigar.

red_engr1987
08-17-2011, 02:52 PM
I think UE should seriously think about asking at least Don Trollano to come back. Without any clear recruits on the horizon the Warriors will need all the help they can get.

I find it hard to understand the UE Team Manager and the Coaching staff with their recruitment strategy. The ethnic cleansing done last summer resulted to mediocre UE RW campaign in the UAAP Season 74. Coach Jerry style of coaching really sucks big time in the UAAP, I hope we find a good replacement after his 2 yrs contract with UE.

Not sure what we have in our Team B but insider said we are loaded with guards and small forward, so we expect another disaster in UAAP Season 75. WTH we let go Trollano and Henri Betayane we will know what we missed when they don their respective uniform playing all their hearts and might against UE RW next year.

paolo
08-17-2011, 03:34 PM
hahaha mukhang maganda ngang makita sa dilaw na uniforme yun si Trollano, pero i doubt kung pakawalan pa ng mga tiga san marcelino yun maraming mawawala sa kanila kaya medyo lapitin din sila ng mga recruits andun na nga sila Raymark Cabrera of mapua and Marty Pearce of feu pati si Vince tinte yata?

Nun nawala si Trollano nakuha naman namin si Jeriz Ruiz from adamson parang trade baga....lol and another smallish big guy Miguel Abaigar.
??? Nothing against Jeriz Ruiz, but I think the trade if you want to call it that way sucks. Trollano have proven himself during the off-season. He topscored for UE in many of its offseason games. He is ready for UAAP wars but but but.... it is the coach that decides the faith of a player. sigh.........

zoom2k7
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
yun diskarte talaga nila bulok!undersize na nga yun mga big guy sa team a natin kumuha pa ng undersize big guy para sa team b?!! sya nga pala sabi ng mga tiga San Beda magaling daw si Kinsman Frando!ahahahah sa atin dapat yun eh! ;D

naz-T
08-17-2011, 09:22 PM

if indeed Trollano comes back, hindi naman sya eligible to play agad next season dba? Malamang nag enrol na sya sa adamson and kailangan uli mag residence. Baka tumanda at maubusan na ng playing years sa kaka residence

zoom2k7
08-18-2011, 03:08 AM
afaik bout trollano apat na taon na lang ang pwede nyang ilaro para sa Adamson kung na line up sana sya ngayon malamang mga 5 taon ang ilalaro nya sa UE.

maroonmartian
08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
From bleachersbrewblogspot.com:

Ken Acibar applied for the PBA draft. Would that bar him from coming back if he is not picked?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nLXopeR4754/Tkzl5IEf3pI/AAAAAAAAPKs/Oxeoa1rUuAs/s1600/draft+1.JPG

Other Red Warriors who will enter are:
Paul Lee
James Martinez
Kit Rosopa

zoom2k7
08-19-2011, 12:36 PM
interesting question pwede pa kaya sya bumalik in any collegiate league?or parang sa US din yan na once you applied for draft and hired an agent eh hindi ka na pwede bumalik.

naz-T
08-20-2011, 03:49 PM
2 wins na UE!

tinalo ang team ni Coach Dindo!

maroonmartian
08-20-2011, 06:30 PM
quota na ang UE. pwede na simulan ang off-season :)

naka 1 win na eh. baka kahit mga taga UE hindi maisip kung saan nila huhukayin ang panalo this season :)

kaya minsan di ako naniniwala sa mga quotang yan. akalain mo ba naman galing sila sa 40 puntos na tambak tapos ganito. saan nila huhukayin? sa mga teams na di sila pinaghahandaan.

congrats to coach jerry.

gabriel
08-20-2011, 09:04 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/08/20/ue-stuns-dazed-dlsu/

UE stuns dazed DLSU
by Adrian Dy
Saturday, 20 August 2011 10 Comments

THOUGH they’re still in the cellar, the University of the East Red Warriors have to feel good about themselves.

With their 40-point loss to National University still fresh in their minds, the Red Warriors took out their frustrations on the De La Salle University Green Archers, ambushing them for their second win of Season 74 of the UAAP, 74-69 last August 20 at the Araneta Coliseum.

“Whether you get beaten by 100, 1000 points, it’s just a loss. [I told the team to] forget about the whipping boys comment. It’s just a matter of getting back into the game,” said UE head coach Jerry Codiñera, referring to comments about his team’s status as the bottom feeders entering today’s encounter.

Starting the fourth quarter with just a four-point lead, 56-52, UE came out with a game-deciding 9-0 run that put itself in the driver’s seat, holding DLSU scoreless for three and a half minutes until LA Revilla nailed a floater to make it 65-54 with 6:27 remaining in the game. A putback and a free throw by Joshua Webb, followed by a booming triple by team captain Simon Atkins sandwiched a bank shot by UE’s Paul Zamar, giving the Green Archers a ray of hope as they faced just a seven-point deficit, 67-60, with 3:37 left. However, Erwin Duran completed a three-point play off an Atkins foul to pad the lead to 10 points again, renewing the pressure on DLSU.

With time not on its side, De La Salle gained some ground on a putback by Maui Villanueva and two free throws by Revilla. But, off a UE timeout, JM Noble canned a huge jumper with less than a minute remaining that extended the Red Warrior edge to 72-64. DLSU burned its last timeout with 40.2 seconds left, but could not execute, with Joseph Marata clanging two open triples. Forced to foul the Red Warriors, Noble and Zamar produced splits at the free throw line, just enough to put the game out of the Green Archers’ reach.

Opting not to use the 2-3 zone defense which teams have employed with relative success on the Green Archers, UE instead played them straight up, with the Red Warrior guards pressuring their De La Salle counterparts as they brought up the ball. “We cannot play them in halfcourt,” explained Codiñera, “So kahit kaunting pressure sa backcourt. And they [La Salle] made some errors.”

Zamar led all scorers with 19 points, including an 8-of-10 clip from the foul line. Noble came off the bench to add 16 markers, five boards and two blocks while fifth-year guard Lucas Tagarda helped bring some stability in the face of the La Salle press, dishing out four assists and hauling down 11 caroms.

La Salle led all throughout the first quarter but stumbled in the second, allowing a 7-2 run capped off by a charity and transition score by Roi Sumang that gave UE the lead, 24-19. Fourth-year small forward Joshua Webb got extended minutes, and tied the game on a layup in transition to knot the encounter at 29-all with 4:02 remaining on the clock. The Red Warriors did not crumble, though, regaining the lead on a Noble jumper and closing out the half strongly, 39-35. Drawing on the lessons they learned from their first round loss to the Green Archers, the Red Warriors played them aggressively even after the halftime break before turning on the jets in the final period. “Hindi sila nakapag-kumpiyansa,” said Codiñera of his charges. “Versus La Salle [in the first round], problema namin yung third quarter, so ready na kami.”

The Green Archers got 12 points, eight rebounds and two blocks from center Norbert Torres, and 11 markers from Webb, who played double-digit minutes for the first time since the season opener. The starting backcourt of Revilla and Atkins combined for 14 points, four rebounds and five assists, after both were questionable to play due to medical reasons. The injury woes continued for DLSU, though, as Yutien Andrada fell awkwardly while trying to drive in transition with 1:08 left in the first quarter. There is no official word on the extent of his injury yet, but he emerged from the locker room after the second quarter with his right leg in a full walking cast.

La Salle could have kept things close, but was a mess at the charity line, making just 13-of-25 shots for 52 percent. In contrast, UE was a steady 21-of-28, making three-fourths of their attempts.

The loss sends DLSU below .500 again at 4-5. They face a tough slate of games next week, with a match against the similarly ranked UST Growling Tigers on Thursday, August 25 before their second game against arch-rival Ateneo on Sunday, August 28. UE, meanwhile, won its second in three games, and now move up to tie the idle UP Fighting Maroons at 2-7. They’ll play the defending champion Blue Eagles on August 25 as well.

The scores:

UE 74 – Zamar 19, Noble 16, Sumang 7, Santos 7, Duran 7, Casajeros 6, Javier 4, Enguio 4, Tagarda 4, Sumido 0, Flores 0

De La Salle 69 – Torres 12, Webb 11, Revilla 9, Vosotros 9, Marata 5, Atkins 5, Van Opstal 4, de la Paz 4, Tampus 2, Paredes 2, Villanueva 2, Mendoza 2, Andrada 2

Quarter scoring: 17-19, 39-35, 56-52, 74-69

gabriel
08-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Congrats ;D

gabriel
08-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game :( can anybody give some details about Boysie Coming back? back where? in the country or with the Red Warriors? ??? ;D

here's the link:
http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Article.aspx?articleid=126

"Paul Zamar celebrated the return of his father Boysie"

chez_moi
08-21-2011, 06:00 AM
I wasn't able to watch the game :( can anybody give some details about Boysie Coming back? back where? in the country or with the Red Warriors? ??? ;D

here's the link:
http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Article.aspx?articleid=126

"Paul Zamar celebrated the return of his father Boysie"

Bumalik lang sa Pinas, pinakita sa tv =)

LaKazTaMa
08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Galing mo Coach Jerry ! naka isa sa DLSU ! ;D

gabriel
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
UE - DLSU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6062331902_bb87235887.jpg

gabriel
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
UE - DLSU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/6062331682_443b053b4f.jpg

gabriel
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
UE - DLSU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6183/6062334458_d428f4ef9d.jpg

gabriel
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
UE - DLSU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6062390396_215016dbe3.jpg

gabriel
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
UE - DLSU (Round 2)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6062390686_5be70830f5.jpg

gabriel
08-25-2011, 07:12 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 70 - 74 ADMU

gabriel
08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
link:
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/230531/sports/ateneo-clinches-10th-win-final-four-berth

Ateneo clinches 10th win, Final Four berth
REUBEN TERRADO, GMA News
08/25/2011 | 03:01 PM

In a battle of teams that occupy the opposite ends of the standings, league-leading Ateneo got a surprisingly tough challenge against University of the East.

But in the end, the Blue Eagles went to Greg Slaughter to pull them through over the Red Warriors for a 74-70 win Thursday in the 74th UAAP men's basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

Slaughter had 19 points including seven in the fourth period as Ateneo foiled UE's chances of claiming what could have been the biggest upset of the season.

Instead, the Blue Eagles took their 10th win of the season and clinched a spot in the Final Four for the 13th straight time.

UE was looking to ride on the momentum of its 74-69 win over Final Four contender La Salle last Saturday but Ateneo was just too much.

“You have to give a lot of credit to UE. They played tough and physical against us and were able to disrupt our on offense. Like in their game against La Salle, they sent the message from the opening team that they want to win the game," said Ateneo coach Norman Black.

“We really had to utilize Greg's talents. We had dumped the ball inside and try to break them down inside because we couldn't get our perimeter game going," Black added.

Black admitted that the Blue Eagles need to refocus after their near loss to the Red Warriors. “We need to have better practices. Our practices are average at best. I warned the players that if you have an average practice, you probably going to have an average game."

Led by JM Noble and Erwin Duran's combined 16 points in the first half, UE took a 37-33 lead at the turn but Ateneo made some adjustments and started the third with back-to-back baskets to tie the game.

Ateneo rookie Kiefer Ravena broke the deadlock with eight straight points and the Eagles never relinquished the lead.

Slaughter pounded it inside in the fourth scoring on low post moves that upped Ateneo's lead to 68-60 with less than three minutes left in the game.

UE, however, was able to cut the deficit to two on consecutive three-pointers by Noble and Paul Zamar, 72-70, with 19.3 seconds to go.

But Emman Monfort converted two free throws at the other end for a 74-70 cushion with 17.2 ticks left.

That turned out to be the final tally as Ateneo clamped down on defense to secure the win.

Noble had a game-high 21 points while Zamar had 15 markers, behind a 3-of-7 shooting from three-point range, and six assists for UE, which dropped to 2-8. — JVP, GMA News

Ateneo 74—Slaughter 19, Monfort 13, Ravena 12, Long 7, Gonzaga 7, Chua 6, Salva 5, Austria 3, Golla 2, Sumalinog 0.

UE 70—Noble 21, Zamar 15, Duran 8, Casajeros 7, Enguio 6, Javier 4, Sumido 3, Sumang 2, Santos 2, Tagarda 2, Flores 0.

Quarter scores: 15-17, 33-37, 56-49, 74-70.

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:28 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/18.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/19.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/24.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:30 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/21.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/25.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/20.jpg

gabriel
08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
UE - ADMU (Round 2)

http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Repository/Albums/184/26.jpg

gabriel
08-28-2011, 06:00 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 45 - 54 UST

gabriel
08-28-2011, 06:03 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/08/28/ust-repels-red-warriors/

UST repels Red Warriors
by Adrian Dy
Sunday, 28 August 2011 21 Comments

ALL good things come to an end, including the hot shooting of the University of the East.

The University of Santo Tomas defense came alive after the halftime break to hold the Red Warriors to just 15 points in the game’s last 20 minutes to key in a 54-45 victory in the 74th season of the UAAP last August 28 at the Araneta Coliseum.

“Ito na ang momentum na hinahanap ko,” said UST head coach Pido Jarencio, as his team strung together back-to-back wins for the first time since the beginning of the season when they toppled NU and UE as well. “Paakyat kami,” he added. “Naitaas namin ang level ng laro namin.”

The Red Warriors actually led at the midway point, 30-24, thanks to hot bench play by rookies BJ Zosa and RR De Leon, who combined for 11 of their team’s 18 in the second quarter. It didn’t last long, though, as the Growling Tigers exploded early in the third, pulling to within a point on a 7-2 run that began with a triple by Jeric Fortuna. Back-to-back scores by Jay-ar Sumido and Erwin Duran in the last 1:15 of the quarter restored the UE lead, 37-33, but Karim Abdul continued his strong play inside, scoring on a layup and getting a split at the line to pull UST to within a point again, 37-36 at the dawn of the fourth.

UST then snatched the lead on a hook shot by Paolo Pe, 38-37, and never let it go. A transition score by Chris Camus, followed by another Fortuna triple, padded the advantage to 43-39, barely two minutes in, as UE’s offense could not get off the ground. The Red Warrior ballhandlers had their passing lanes cut off constantly, forcing them to dribble above the arc for long stretches that resulted in forced shots with the shot clock winding down. On the other end, UST was snatching up offensive boards, highlighted by one possession that saw the Tigers get five looks at the basket, which finally resulted in a triple by Jeric Teng that opened up the game, 49-41 with 2:20 to go. On the other end, Adrian Santos countered with two charities to make it a six-point game, keeping the door slightly open for a comeback attempt. But, it never materialized Fortuna scored on a floater and then found Abdul in transition for an and-one to seal the deal.

Abdul dominated the paint to the tune of a double-double, 16 points and 13 rebounds, plus two steals and three blocks. “Of course, it feels good, but it’s because of our team sacrifice,” said Abdul after the game, when asked how he felt about his strong performances of late. “During our team building this year, [we said] our team was based on sacrifice. That’s what we’re all doing.”

Fortuna came alive late to finish with 11 markers, five boards, three dimes and a swipe, while Pe, Teng and Camus each chipped in with six points.

The number one rebounding team found themselves outhustled by UE in the first half, 26-8, leading to an 8-2 advantage in second chance points. By the end of the game, the Growling Tigers closed that gap to forge a tie at 49 boards each, keeping the Red Warriors grounded to just two second chance points in the second half.

Sumido was the lone Red Warrior in double figures, stuffing the stat sheet with 10 points, six rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block. Zosa added seven, all coming in the second quarter, while Paul Zamar and JM Noble produced just five and two points, respectively.

The low-scoring affair can largely be attributed to sloppy ballhandling and lots of bad shots. UE had committed 16 turnovers by the first half’s end and finished with 25. Both teams were also horrible from the field, with the Red Warriors ending with a 30.5 percent shooting clip, while the Tigers went 21-of-75 for 28 percent, the second-worst field goal percentage in a win since the UAAP began computerizing its statistics.

The win put the Growling Tigers above .500 with a 6-5 record, one that will be tested when they play the team running in second in the standings, the Adamson Falcons, on Saturday, September 3. UE fell to 2-9, but will still be looking to turn some heads with an upset win, when they also play the Falcons next on September 1.

The scores:

UST 54 – Abdul 16, Fortuna 11, Pe 6, Teng 6, Camus 6, Lo 4, Ferrer 3, Afuang 2, Vigil 0, Tan 0, Sheriff 0

UE 45 – Sumido 10, Zosa 7, de Leon 5, Zamar 5, Javier 4, Sumang 2, Santos 2, Casajeros 2, Tagarda 2, Noble 2, Flores 2, Duran 2, Enguio 0

Quarter scoring: 13-12, 24-30, 36-37, 54-45

bchoter
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Sir Mel hindi ka ba magagawi dito?

Mel
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
haha.
game tied at 20
5 minutes before the half .

bchoter
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks boss Mel!

Mel
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
ue 26
adu 20
3 mins bago mag halftime

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
ue 28
adu 27
halftime

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
32 ue
29 adu
early 3rd qtr

Tagard makes two FTs

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
ue 35
adu 34

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
ue 37
adu 40

Nuyles converts

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
adu 41
ue 38
2:25
3Q

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
adu 51
ue 40
end of 3q

and just like that...

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
adu 61
ue 45
6:50
4Q

bchoter
09-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Just like that, indeed...

Mel
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
bente na yung lamang
3:36 remaining

Mel
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
UE 57
ADU 76
FINAL

gabriel
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
link:
http://uaapsports.studio23.tv/Article.aspx?articleid=157

Falcons claw Warriors for win #9
Josiah Israel Albelda, Thursday, September 01, 2011.

It was the same, old story for the University of the East Red Warriors.

The Recto-based squad went neck-to-neck with powerhouse Adamson University for almost three quarters but did not have enough gas as the Soaring Falcons drubbed them, 76-57, in the 74th UAAP men's basketball tournament today at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Not unlike their past three games, UE kept abreast with the more talented Adamson side but then the young Warriors fizzled out anew and unraveled in the third as the Falcons trooped to their ninth win in 12 matches.

The victory brought the San Marcelino-based five closer to the much-coveted second seed and an important twice-to-beat advantage as the Final Four looms.

"We did not execute our plays well. This is not the right attitude going into the playoffs," Coach Leo Austria told reporters.

"Andun yung overconfidence ng mga bata knowing that we can beat them with an average game."

Adamson fell behind early, seemingly firing blanks in the first half when they drained only 11 of their 40 shots. But the Falcons regrouped in the last 20 minutes and sank 19 of 29 attempts (65.5%) on the way to sending the Warriors to their 10th loss in 12 games.

"I'm happy dahil nakinig sila nung second half," Austria said. "Nung umpisa kase, they were thinking of scoring first."
Junior forward Eric Camson pushed his case for the Most Improved Player award after tying his career high of 20 points and 15 rebounds. The Batangas native also blocked two shots while shooting 64.3% from the field.

High-flying guard Alex Nuyles dazzled with an all-around performance anew, posting 17 markers, six rebounds, five assists and two steals while Lester Alvarez chipped in with 10 points.

Adamson broke free from a close game with a 15-3 run starring Nuyles that turned a 36-37 deficit to a 51-40 lead to end the third quarter.

Then the Falcons continued to pound the Warriors no end in the final canto, pummeling the hapless UE side and even erecting their biggest lead at 76-50 after a Jansen Rios basket with a minute left.

Even with Austin Manyara absent from patrolling the lane, Adamson was unstoppable on the boards, where they dominated the Warriors, 54-38. The Kenyan missed his first game of the season after a contusion he suffered from a collision with Nuyles in their game against University of the Philippines last weekend.

"He's not 100%," Austria shared. "He had an MRI earlier. We don't want to aggravate his injury."

After a string of tentative outings, Paul Zamar led UE with 17 points and two assists even as forwards Adrian Santos and Biboy Enguio contributed six markers apiece.

The scores:

Adamson (76) - Camson 20, Nuyles 17, Alvarez 10, Cabrera 9, Brondial 8, Lozada 7, Rios 2, Colina 2, Canada 1, Petilos 0, Agustin 0, Olalia 0, Monteclaro 0, Etrone 0

UE (57) - Zamar 17, Santos 6, Enguio 6, Casajeros 5, Noble 5, Tagarda 4, Duran 4, Zosa 3, Sabangan 2, Sumido 2, Flores 2, Javier 1, Sumang 0, De Leon 0

Quarters: 17-14, 27-28, 51-40, 76-57

gabriel
09-04-2011, 03:21 PM
FINAL SCORE:
UE 69 - 78 FEU

gabriel
09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/09/04/feu-brushes-aside-ue-nabs-postseason-berth/

FEU brushes aside UE, nabs postseason berth
by Adrian Dy
Sunday, 4 September 2011 1 Comment

WITH the thought of moving up in the standings in their minds, the Far Eastern University Tamaraws simply couldn’t refuse all the easy shot opportunities the University of the East Red Warriors were doling out.

Last season’s runners-up took whatever UE gave them, from careless turnovers in the first half to wide-open looks from beyond the arc in the fourth quarter to forge a 78 -69 win and claim one of the two remaining postseason tickets in the 74th season of the UAAP last September 4, Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

“Maganda talaga dahil siyempre kung baga, nawala na yung number two sa kamay namin tapos binalik nila [Adamson] ulit. Kaya sabi ko sa kanila, trabauhin natin ‘to. Sana embrace natin ‘to, wag nating ibigay sa iba” said a relieved FEU head coach Bert Flores after the win. “Yung isang paa natin, ipasok na natin sa Final Four.”

A slow start had the Red Warriors just a basket away from FEU, 6-4, but the Tams were apparently just warming up, unleashing a 16-5 run to end the first quarter, with five points from last season’s rookie of the year, Terrence Romeo. Up big, 20-9 after 10 minutes, their lead didn’t last very long, as UE came back with a 7-0 blast, sparked by a BJ Zosa triple on the first possession of the second quarter. Flores sent Romeo back to work, scoring on a layup and then canning a triple to boost the lead back up to nine. The two sides exchanged baskets on their next possessions before RR Garcia added to the salvo, dropping in a trey to restore the double-digit advantage, 32-20, with 4:36 left in the first half. Another UE run cut the deficit to seven after Roi Sumang scored in transition with a minute remaining. But Garcia and Romeo bailed the Tamaraws out again, allowing FEU to build a 12-point halftime edge, which incidentally was the same number of turnover points they tallied.

UE made things interesting, as a Jay-r Sumido layup cut the score to single-digits, 58-49 with eight minutes left in the game. However, FEU responded by finding its veterans on the perimeter. Aldrech Ramos began by knocking down back-to-back triples before two Garcia triples pushed the lead to 15, 70-55 with half a quarter remaining. That was simply too big of a hump for the Warriors to overcome, though Sumido managed two triples of his own in the last minute of the game to make the final score more palatable.

Romeo matched his UAAP seniors career-high, notching 21 points on 7-of-15 shooting. The highly touted scoring machine from FEU-FERN had committed some costly turnovers in the past few games, but Flores kept encouraged his point guard saying, “Positive ka lagi, bata ka naman eh, marami ka pang matutunan. May three years ka pa na ma-guguide sa yo si Johnny [Abarientos].” Garcia also scored 21, nailing four triples, while Ramos totaled 13 points and three blocks. With both teams shooting so well, FEU only got 33 rebounds, but 14 of those were offensive caroms, which led to 17 second chance points.

UE saw five players in double-figures, but it still wasn’t enough to overcome the more experienced Tamaraws. Paul Zamar and Sumido scored 12 each. Sumang added 11 points and six assists, with JM Noble matching his scoring output, while Adrian Santos scored 10 and hauled down four boards. The Red Warriors converted as many free throws as FEU attempted in total, 10, and shot 50 percent from the field.

With the victory, 8-4 FEU moved to just a half-game behind the idle 9-4 Adamson Falcons. The Tamaraws still have two games remaining on their schedule, a September 8 meeting with the surging UST Growling TIgers, and the capper to the regular season, a September 11 matchup with the DLSU Green Archers. Depending on the outcome of those two matches, and the outcome of the Falcons’ final assignment with the defending champions Ateneo Blue Eagles, FEU can still move up to the second seed and gain a twice-to-beat advantage regardless of the postseason format. Flores’ squad is also hoping that the wrist sprain Russel Escoto suffered at the end of the first quarter in this game heals by then, though expect JR Cawaling back for the DLSU game. UE, meanwhile, ends its Season 74 slate with a rematch of its first game, a battle with the UP Fighting Maroons on September 10.

The scores:

FEU 78 – Romeo 21, Garcia 21, Ramos 13, Bringas 8, Escoto 6, Tolomia 5, Cruz 4, Pogoy 0, Foronda 0, Knuttel 0, Exciminiano 0

UE 69 – Zamar 12, Sumido 12, Sumang 11, Noble 11, Santos 10, Flores 8, Zosa 3, Tagarda 2, Sabangan 0, Montelibano 0, Javier 0, Chavez 0, Enguio 0, Casajeros 0, Duran 0

Quarter scoring: 20-9, 41-29, 58-45, 78-69

bchoter
09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
What if Paul Lee and Ken Acibar stayed? What if the import, the kid who went to San Beda, and Trollano were retained? Champioship contenders for sure.
First 5: Acibar, Noble, Javier, Lee and Sumang
2nd unit: the import, Adi Santos, Zamar, Enguio, and Tagarda
3rd unit: Duran, Flores, Sumido, Casajeros, "Keiser" Zosa

You still have the 6'5"de leon, Sabangan (youth team candidate), Chavez the Red Cub, 6'5"Sam Razon.

eightyfiver
09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
With the materials that he has, Coach Jerry overachieved. The pundits pegged your team to be the last. At least you showed a respectable performance. Congrats Defense Minister!

gabriel
09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2011/09/10/ue-keeps-fighting-maroons-in-last-place/

UE keeps Fighting Maroons in last place
by Adrian Dy
Saturday, 10 September 2011 26 Comments

WITH the game in hand, Biboy Enguio turned and waved goodbye to the University of the East Red Warriors fans as his team was able to close out a transitional year on a high note.

Expected to struggle with veterans Paul Lee and Ken Acibar leaving for the pros, UE was able to end Season 74 of the UAAP gracefully with a 68-54 win over the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons last September 10 at the Araneta Coliseum.

“No one really believed when they look at our team,” said rookie head coach Jerry Codiñera. “We may be small…but we try to look for ways to be competitive. You can see naman in the way we paly, we don’t just give up.”

Both sides came out with extended scoring runs to start the game, leading to a first quarter tie at 18-all. Hot shooting by the Red Warriors spelled the difference in the second period through a 10-2 run led by rookie Chris Javier that put them on top, 28-20 with 3:55 remaining in the first half. The Maroons’ five minute scoring drought was finally snapped by a floater by Paolo Romero, cutting the UE lead to six, 28-22. They couldn’t make further headway however, as JM Noble caught fire, burying three straight buckets, including a triple at the 1:28 mark, to push the Warriors’s lead back to double digits, 35-24.

At the dawn of the third quarter, Lucas Tagarda took it strong to the hoop, with his layup hiking the advantage to 13, 41-28.

UP rallied behind a 7-0 burst, getting to within six points on a catch and shoot triple in transition by reserve point guard Robbie Wierzba, halfway through the period, 41-35. Surprisingly, it was UE’s bigs that brought them back, as six straight from Adrian Santos and four from Javier allowed them to close out strongly, restoring their double-digit lead, 55-45.

State U cut the deficit down to six again two and a half minutes into the fourth, off two free throws and a layup by Mark Juruena. But UE closed out the opposition, holding UP to just two points in a five-minute span. Meanwhile, Santos and Enguio served as the catalysts for a decisive 11-2 run, getting the lead up to 15, 68-53 with 2:39 left. And though the Warriors went scoreless in the final moments of the game, UP managed just two more points, not enough to affect the result.

In Enguio’s final game as a Red Warrior, the talented triggerman dropped a game-high 18 markers on 7-of-15 shooting, and added six boards, four steals and two blocks. “Importante sa amin to’ kasi yung pride namin,” said Enguio after the game.

“Inaalay ko to’ sa pamilya ko at sa UE community.” Santos provided a late spark with 12 points, all in the second-half, while Noble also scored 12. UE got a huge boost from turnover points as it converted 25 UP miscues into 22 points, reducing the impact of its own 21 turnovers. Team captain Paul Zamar, also playing his final game, added, “Kahit hindi kami umabot ng Final Four this year, we never quit in every game. Kahit matambakan kami, next game, we bounce back.”

Another player on his last year of eligibility, Miggy Maniego, led UP with 14 points, eight in the first quarter. Former juniors rookie of the year Juruena added 12 and seven boards, but the Maroons got a poor outing from their shooters, as Gamboa, Mike SIlungan and Jett Manuel combined for just 10 points on 4-of-21 shooting.

Finishing with a 3-11 record, UE will enter year two of its rebuilding program, centered around point guard Roi Sumang and Javier. Meanwhile, UP left behind a 0-14 season and notched two victories in 2011. Next year sees them call up a good amount of players from their Team B, including some Maroons from Season 73 like Alvin Padilla, Mark Lopez and Mikee Reyes.

The scores:

UE 68 – Enguio 18, Santos 12, Noble 12, Sumang 8, Javier 8, Zamar 4, Casajeros 2, Tagarda 2, Duran 2, Sumido 0, Flores 0

UP 54 – Maniego 13, Juruena 12, Gomez 6, Montecastro 5, Silungan 5, Gamboa 5, Wierzba 3, Romero 2, Mbah 2, Wong 0, Manuel 0, Gingerich 0

Quarter scoring: 18-18, 37-26, 55-45, 68-54

gabriel
09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
a very very BIG Thank You Paul Zamar, Lucas Tagarda, And Ebrahin Enguio for playing for the REd Warriors ;D

gabriel
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
What if Paul Lee and Ken Acibar stayed? What if the import, the kid who went to San Beda, and Trollano were retained? Champioship contenders for sure.
First 5: Acibar, Noble, Javier, Lee and Sumang
2nd unit: the import, Adi Santos, Zamar, Enguio, and Tagarda
3rd unit: Duran, Flores, Sumido, Casajeros, "Keiser" Zosa

You still have the 6'5"de leon, Sabangan (youth team candidate), Chavez the Red Cub, 6'5"Sam Razon.

it could have been a different outcome ;D

maybe finishing in the top 3 after the elims ;D

minus the import Betayene, because he'll be eligible next year ;D

Sam Miguel
11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
For volleyball fans, the tournament starts this Saturday 26 November at the Fil Oil Arena in San Juan.

For the men:

9:00 - FEU v Lasalle
10:30 - Adamson v NU

For the women:

2:00 - NU v UP
3:30 - UST v Ateneo

And this is for November 27, Sunday also at Arena.

For the men:

9:00 - Ateneo v UE
10:30 - UP v UST

For the women:

2:00 - FEU v UE
3:30 - Lasalle v Adamson

red_engr1987
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
UE MBT composed of players from Team A and Team B are now 3 - 0 and looking good in the FMC Open Division by beating STI, SSC-R & EAC in the ongoing elimination round.

fujima04
12-26-2011, 01:07 PM
University of the East namayagpag sa 2011
(Pilipino Star Ngayon (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=762163&publicationSubCategoryId=95)) December 26, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - Nagpapakitang gilas ang University of the East sa mga local at international competitions na kanilang si*nalihan sa taong 2011.

Sa idinadaos na 74th UAAP season, ang UE ay nagkaroon ng magandang ipinakita sa fencing, swimming, taekwondo at table tennis.

Nakuha ng Lady Warriors ang ikalimang sunod na overall title habang ang girls team ang hinirang bi*lang kauna-unahang kampeon ng dibisyon.

Hindi naman nagpahuli ang boys fencers na napangalagaan ang kampeo*nato sa kanilang bakuran.

Si Patricia Marie Melendres ang siyang lumabas bilang MVP sa women’s division, habang sina Nathaniel Perez at Kim Paolo Gutierrez ang nanalo bilang MVP at Rookie of the Year sa juniors division.

Unang kampeonato sa women’s badminton ang na*panalunan din ng Lady Warriors sa pangunguna nina Jamilla Fatima Cruz at Rochelle Andres na naupo bilang MVP at Most Improved Player.

Ito ang ikalawang su*nod na korona ang koponan sa dibisyon, habang ang men’s team ay nag-i*ngay naman sa 16th University Games sa Roxas City nang kunin ang ikalimang UniGames title.

Humataw ang UE high school sa UAAP swimming, habang nananatiling malakas sa table tennis matapos mapagtagum*pa*yan ang torneo sa ikatlong sunod na pagkakataon.

Lumahok din ang pa*aralan sa 7th Eastern Cup Table Tennis Championship at nanalo ang UE junior warriors Team A.

Sa iba pang sinalihan, ku*minang sina Jessica Chris*tia Paron at Francislyn Cais sa 4th leg Petron Beach Volley noong Oktubre 21 at 22 sa Puerto Prin*cesa, Palawan. Si Paron pa ang iniluklok bilang MVP ng torneo.

Nagbunga rin ang pag*sali sa weightlifting sa National Open and Luzon Powerlifting Championships sa Robinson’s Novali*ches, National Raw Po*werlifting Subjunior, Junior, Open at Masters Championships sa Tiendesitas, Pasay City; sa Philippine Interschool Powerlifting Championship sa Robinson’s Imus sa Cavite.

Sa international scene, ang UE Red Warriors ay lumahok sa 8th ASIAN University Basketball Cham*pionshp sa Bintulu, Sa*rawak, Malaysia mula Hun*yo 5 hanggang 10 at tu*mapos ang koponang hawak ni coach Jerry Codiñera sa ikatlong puwesto nang talunin ang UCBL Selection team ng Malaysia.

Kampeon dito ang Guang*dong University of Tech*nology at ang Na*tional Taiwan University of Arts ang sumegunda.