PDA

View Full Version : In Need of the Wizard of Oz

oca
06-11-2011, 07:44 AM
For many seasons, in intermittent periods, the Falcons have been considered title contenders. Many times, a good number of pundits would have penciled them to make the Finals.

But what is it with this team that they just can't win the big games?

There are many posts, here and in other forums, that have made fun of the Falcons losing when it mattered most. Actually, nobody fears this team. Respect is there. But wanting not to play this team in a do-or-die game?

I'm sure every UAAP team wants to play them in a do-or-die game. For most likely, the Falcons' title hopes will die with THAT game.

I don't think it has to do with the players. There have been at least 4 batches of players since their last championship that this team was thought to be a serious title contender. Coach? They had many coaches.

But still they just can't win.

For UAAP Season 74, this current line-up may not have a player that can be called a star or one that just attracts deserving attention and write ups from legit press and pseudo press or bloggers. But no one can deny Coach Leo Austria has a solid 10 man-rotation that has the skills to win its first UAAP title since the time of the Calma.

But after that Fil-Oil/July 10, 2011 semis loss to San Beda, I seriously doubt this line-up has any chance of winning IT this UAAP Season 74.

Okay, that defeat to San Beda was just a pre-season game. Yes, I agree. The wins and losses at pre-season don't matter when the actual season starts. But pre-season games are played to build on something. The Falcons, based on their games in the most competitive pre-season event, are the same. They haven't built anything new or showed anything new. Pre-season events are indicative of something. Indications are, this Falcons team is the same as that of seasons past.

They controlled that game against SBC and they have the players and the coach to close it out. But as I feared, while watching, blocking out what I was expecting, they just can't make the plays and they just missed the shots at end-game. Plays they have executed numerous times earlier and even in previous games. Shots they have converted earlier in the game and in other games.

Pressure?

All teams, all players, all coaches on both sides feels the same pressure. They are in the same court, contesting the same ball in THAT same game. But the Falcons just can't win THAT game.

To be a champion is all about character. Some would say, it is all about heart. Well, if it is about heart, then this Falcon team may well as be the Tin Man.

This team needs to find the Wizard of Oz. This team has the brains, for they sure know what to do on court. It has the courage to face the odds and make good account of themselves. But heart... it just falters when THAT win is most needed.

Someone please give this team direction to the Yellow Brick Road.

I don't know what the character of their community is. But maybe to understand this team, we have to look beyond the team. We have to understand the community as well. How much pride do they have? Do they care about winning IT? Or, every time their season ends, they just shrug it off and preach and wax philosophical about the more important things in life.

mangtsito
06-11-2011, 11:31 AM
^ When you say "community", do you mean the school community in general or the inner circle that handles/financially supports the basketball team? If it's the former, then from my limited observation of the Adamson community's character, I don't think they're lacking in pride for their basketball team. Also, that thing about shrugging it off and waxing philosophical after a losing season applies to every other strong contender that somehow didn't make it to the top, so I don't think that figures into the reasons why Adamson just can't nail that championship.

I think it's a combination of a lot of factors - none of which I can prove scientifically, I must note.

First, the winless Trillo years affected Adamson psychologically worse than most of us here might have thought. While it has been largely dismissed as a forgettable historical anecdote, it might be that those two seasons are right up there in the team's collective consciousness. A coach who has some skill in psychology can harness that and turn it into a force that would drive a team all the way to the championship. In any other case, it just gives the team an excuse to underachieve. (i.e. winning more than 50% of all matches in a season is a lot better than, say, winning none at all for two seasons.)

Second, going back to the "inner circle" I was talking about earlier, it might be that they simply can't compete with the better-organized programs of the other schools. For one thing, there's a lack of continuity under a capable coach. In the case of Ateneo, it took a few years before Norman was able to transform Ateneo into a Three-peat champion team. Of course, you can say that a better example is DLSU under Franz Pumaren, who was retained by the school for the most part even when he started to lose championship games. In this regard, the most counter-productive thing that Adamson can do right now is to replace Leo Austria.

I'd say that the wizard Adamson is looking for is a sports psychologist - for the players. And probably another wizard who has some skill in managing the basketball program long-term. (Whoever is their wizard of recruitment is doing a good enough job and should also not be replaced.)

oca
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
^ Di ka naman galit kay Trillo nyan, ha? ;D

In the timeline of the Falcons' futility, those years under Trillo surely brought the Falcons' into a deeper rut. But they were already in a rut prior to that.

But as you said, none pertaining to this futility-- the whys and hows -- can be pinpointed or proven scientifically.

As to my use of the term "community", I am referring the the school, the students and alumni. It's either masyado silang mabait or just simply indifferent not to express any emotions or opinions that would reflect anger, dissatisfaction or simply being fed up.All expressed in a manner that will fire the emotions in the team.

Baka naman tuwing matatalo ay inaalo pa sila.

Pero para nga itong cycle, inevitably, babalik tayo sa tanong na whys and hows and still no clear answer.

Sa akin, walang issue sa mga tao bumubuo ng team at sa mga nasa likod nito. You have aptly complemented the people who brought talented kids to the team. For many periods of time, there was no stability in the coaching staff. But that seems to have been addressed with Austria.

Pero ganon pa rin sa mga do-or-die--- they die!

If in a less pressured environment, they can't hurdle that hump, what more in the competition that matters most to them - the UAAP?

Miron ako, I just want a good game each time I go the venues. Napapailing lang ako tuwing natatalo ang Adamson sa life and death matches.

Magbago sana...

mangtsito
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
^ Yeah, I get what you feel about the Falcons. A specific example: you of course know about the unbroken winning streak of Ateneo against Adamson in the UAAP. Psychologically speaking, it should be Ateneo that should be pressured to prolong that streak. But for some reason, parang mas pressured pa ang Adamson during those twice-a-season matches.

Di naman ako galit kay Trillo. ;D It's just that I'm also seeing the effect to a lesser extent in UP. If I remember right, they also had a winless season before the most recent one.

Joescoundrel
06-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Ka Oca, maybe its just plain bad luck, ginagahasa ng malas 'ika nga.

In the 2006 Final 4 they very nearly extended Ateneo to a do-or-die second game since Ateneo had the twice-beat advantage. Ken Bono, the MVP that season, quiteliterally carried the Falcons on his own and they were two or three lucky bounces from extending that Final 4, maybe even eventually beating Ateneo.

Looking at Bono, or even the likes of Kenneth Duremdes, Apollo Lim, Melvin Mamaclay, Mark Abadia, Chad Alonzo, Patrick Cabahug, and this current class of Falcons, I don't think anyone can accuse these guys of having little or no heart. In last season's Final 4 and the PCCL Finals they went up against Ateneo.

Ateneo is the UAAP grand slam champion, and beating such a team requires not just a perfect game on the part of the opposition but practically all the stars and planets aligning just right on the right day. I think the same could be said of your grand slam San Beda team that had Sam Ekwe and Pong Escobal.

The Utah Jazz never won an NBA Title under Jerry Sloan, surely the last thing we can accuse Karl Malone, Jeff Hornacek and John Stockton of is having no heart. Sadyang minalas lang silang lahat at nag-Finals sila nung rurok ng husay naman nung Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen at Phil Jackson.

oca
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Ka Oca, maybe its just plain bad luck, ginagahasa ng malas 'ika nga.

In the 2006 Final 4 they very nearly extended Ateneo to a do-or-die second game since Ateneo had the twice-beat advantage. Ken Bono, the MVP that season, quiteliterally carried the Falcons on his own and they were two or three lucky bounces from extending that Final 4, maybe even eventually beating Ateneo.

Looking at Bono, or even the likes of Kenneth Duremdes, Apollo Lim, Melvin Mamaclay, Mark Abadia, Chad Alonzo, Patrick Cabahug, and this current class of Falcons, I don't think anyone can accuse these guys of having little or no heart. In last season's Final 4 and the PCCL Finals they went up against Ateneo.

Ateneo is the UAAP grand slam champion, and beating such a team requires not just a perfect game on the part of the opposition but practically all the stars and planets aligning just right on the right day. I think the same could be said of your grand slam San Beda team that had Sam Ekwe and Pong Escobal.

The Utah Jazz never won an NBA Title under Jerry Sloan, surely the last thing we can accuse Karl Malone, Jeff Hornacek and John Stockton of is having no heart. Sadyang minalas lang silang lahat at nag-Finals sila nung rurok ng husay naman nung Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen at Phil Jackson.

Lintek para na bang taga-SBC ang dating ko? Red Cubs fan lang ako, pakialam ko sa Red Lions! >:( ;)

Now on your post. Kung kamalasan lang yan, I hope it ends soon.

Itong line-up na ito ay hinog-hinog na. Yung rotation ni Coach Leo, bawat player ay may 3 to 5 years experience na sa UAAP. Napakalaking advantage niyan. If the Falcons can't win it this 2011, they'll be in a rebuilding mode next season and the years of futility will continue.

Joescoundrel
06-15-2011, 07:09 AM
^ Sori Ka Oca, kaya nga maraming namamatay sa maling akala... :-X

As for Adamson you're absolutely right. I think they will lose both Alvarez and Canada, as well as Colina and Manyara next year. That means only Nuyles and Camson will remain of their solid core. I'm not sure about the likes of Cabrera, Lozada, Etrone, et al.

maroonmartian
09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Ang problema ko sa team next year ay ang "void" sa point guard. E di masyado ginagamit si Monteclaro. Etrone pwede pero SG laro. Yung mga bigs madaling palitan yan. May Brondial at may "backup" import naman ata silang big man.

What is really surprises me of this team is this. Di sila naglalabas ng MALAKING PERA (e.g. NU or the other established schools), hindi blue chip mga recruits nila, mga "unknown" mga recruits nila pero they have been a force in the past years? Ano sikreto?

Ang opinion ko yung choice nila ng recruits, tall, long and athletic players who could play two to three positions. E.g. siguro sina Nuyles, Camson, Cabrera, and Lozada (to some extent si Petillos). By the way, yan yung dating recruitment style ng UST at FEU dati.

Baka kaya nila this year pero they need to defeat Ateneo which in the first game shows they can. The question is the continuity of the system for the years to come.

bchoter
09-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I am with Joe here. tough luck had a lot to do with it. Palitan mo ba naman si Trillo ng MAlas :D

Next year they will have Marty Pearce to back up, or even play ahead of Monteclaro. At the froncourt, the transferee from UE will provide muscle while without being a blackhole on offense. Plus the aforementioned import. Playing in Team B for year should give them the necessary time to get familiarize with coach Leo's system while improving their skills. Coach Leo and his staff did a good job with their succession planning. Shouldn't be too steep a decline next year.

Joescoundrel
06-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Adamson Falcons fire coach Duremdes

Jasmine W. Payo

@inquirerdotnet

Philippine Daily Inquirer

10:04 PM | Sunday, May 31st, 2015

Adamson sacked Kenneth Duremdes as head coach Sunday in the wake of a pitiful run by the Falcons in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament last season.

Duremdes struggled in his first year with the rookie-laden Falcons, who finished dead-last in the UAAP with a 1-13 win-loss record.

Adamson team manager Gilbert Cruz confirmed the development, but said the school will make a formal announcement soon and that there are no candidates yet for the vacant coaching post.

Adamson’s woeful run in the last UAAP season was marked by a record low of total point production of 25 in a game. The Falcons shot no more than eight points per quarter in a game against National University last July on 16-percent shooting. The Bulldogs shot 62.

Duremdes, a PBA Most Valuable Player awardee, starred for the Falcons in the UAAP in the early 1990s and even led the team to the Finals twice.

Joescoundrel
06-01-2015, 01:57 PM
^ Looks like Ka Oca was prophetic, ito na nga 'yung "years of futility to come" na sinabi niya dati.

This is not just about finding a good coach, kelangan maghanap ng real talent ang Adamson. Dati nakahanap naman ng mga Canada, Alvarez, Nuyles, Colina, Camson, Brondial si Leo Austria. Ganyan ang dapat hanapin muna ng Adamson.

Unfortunately mahirap din kumausap ng propsect kung wala ka pang coach. In fact it is the coach that should be talking to prospects. Say what you will pero UAAP team pa din ang Adamson. A player looking for a break could do a lot worse than playing even for the crappiest team in the UAAP.

Joescoundrel
06-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Adamson wants coach who can focus on Falcons ‘full time’ after Duremdes’ ouster

Mark Giongco

@MGiongcoINQ

INQUIRER.net

6:43 PM | Monday, June 1st, 2015

Adamson is eyeing a head coach who is fully dedicated to the team to replace Kenneth Duremdes, who was axed on Sunday after a year on the job.

In a statement, Adamson said that the departure of Duremdes paves the way for its management to search for a new men’s basketball team coach who will dedicate his full attention to the Falcons.

“They (management) agreed to release Mr. Duremdes from his duties so they could have someone who can dedicate his full time and attention to the development of the team,” the statement read.

“Mr. Duremdes will no longer serve starting today, June 01, 2015.”

Lead assistant Mike Fermin will handle the Falcons until a new head coach is appointed.

An inexperienced Adamson squad, which is in the process of rebuilding, finished at the bottom of the standings with a 1-13 record under Duremdes in the 77th Season of the UAAP.

Duremdes, a former PBA star, played for the Falcons in the early 1990s. He led the school to two Finals appearances during his college career.

Joescoundrel
06-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Duremdes rues lack of second chance to prove worth as Falcons coach

Mark Giongco

@MGiongcoINQ

INQUIRER.net

8:55 PM | Monday, June 1st, 2015

Kenneth Duremdes, who was relieved of his duties as Adamson’s men’s basketball head coach on Sunday, would’ve wanted another chance to prove himself after a dismal coaching debut in the UAAP.

The Falcons finished in last place last year with a 1-13 record in their lone season under Duremdes, who was a first-time coach handling an inexperienced team following the departure of its seasoned players.

“Kasama sa trabaho natin yan eh. As coaches anytime may mangyayari hindi pabor sa atin. It’s sad kasi maganda sana kung na bigyan tayo chance bumawi kaso hindi na eh,” Duremdes told INQUIRER.net in a text message.

(“It’s part of our job. As coaches anytime anything can happen that won’t favor us. It’s sad because it would’ve been nice to have been given another chance but it didn’t happen.”)

Philippine Daily Inquirer reported Duremdes’ firing on Sunday before the school made it official the day after in a press release, citing the need fora “full-time” coach.

Joescoundrel
06-02-2015, 08:26 AM
^ Cautionary tale na naman ito na hindi lahat ng magagaling na players nagiging magagaling na coaches. Although uulitin ko lang, siempre mahirap din manalo kung hindi naman talaga kalakasan ang team mo.

Kenneth Duremdes essentially had Don Trollano and Jansen Rios, two guys who are very good college players but are not quite elite superstar-types, certainly malayo sa kaildad ng mismong coach nila pagdating sa pagiging player. The rest of the team was fodder. Papano ka mananalo?

Dapat talaga kapag kukuha ka ng college coach, his primary qualification should be his ability to recruit good players. He does not have to get the Metro Manila high school superstars, or the big names from say the NBTC, the Sea Oil, or the Slam Rising Stars. Ang mahalaga may network siya, lalo sa mga lalawigan, at nakakakuha siya ng raw / unknown talent, at napapagaling niya ang mga talent na 'yon.

Again, ganun ang ginawa ni Leo Austria with his Adamson teams. Kung sino man ang papalit kay Duremedes dapat ability to recruit legit talent ang gawin na unang pamantayan.

On the part of Adamson, siempre maghanda din sila sa gastos. Ang siste magugutom ka sa Team B ng Adamson kasi wala pang allowance hangga't hindi ka sa UAAP team. Papano, isang taon kang magugutom? Eh 'di hindi ka din nakapagpakita ng magandang laro, kunwari sa mga Fr Martin, or dun sa mga paliga sa Lyceum or sa RTU.

redlion123
06-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Ang hindi ko lang maiintindihan bakit hindi pa nila pinatapos ang season na eto. Siguro marahil ginawang basehan ang fil oil. Pero bakit si Luigi Trillo ay napagtiyagaan nila ng ilang taon bakit hindi kaya ibigay kay duremdes yun.

bchoter
06-02-2015, 04:17 PM
...at lumipat da daw si Matt Aquino sa AdU, according to person

Joescoundrel
06-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Hindi kaya ibigay na din kay Coach Goldwyn ang Seniors?

bchoter
06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
^ Mukhang ganon na nga altho, around January, ibang group ang sinasabing papalit.

Sam Miguel
09-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Adamson coach Mike Fermin says ejection on purpose to drive a point against officiating

September 20, 2015, 05:46 pm

ADAMSON coach Mike Fermin justified his ejection in the team’s game against De La Salle on Sunday in Season 78 of the UAAP, stressing he wanted to make a point about a bad call which he claimed killed the momentum of the rallying Falcons in the stretch run.

Fermin was thrown out of the game during the six-minute mark of the fourth quarter after Dawn Ochea was slapped with an unsportsmanlike foul.

Ochea was called for the infraction following a loose ball play in which he hit La Salle’s Thomas Torres, according to the referees.

The call came as the Falcons are in the midst of a huge comeback, cutting down what was once a huge 28-point deficit to just 54-67.

The Green Archers eventually won the contest, 88-71.

While he admitted the Falcons had a poor start to the game, Fermin said he was frustrated about that particular call since he believed Ochea didn’t intentionally hit Torres.

Fermin was eventually ejected following two consecutive technical fouls called on the Adamson bench and on him.

“One bad call did us eh,” said Fermin. “Well, siguro nung first half, masama talaga start namin. Pero nandoon ‘yung effort ng mga bata.”

“Nanghihinayang ako sa mga effort ng mga bata. Sayang eh. Nandoon ‘yung effort ng mga bata tapos gaganunin lang nila kami. Sa amin, be consistent lang sa officiating. Tanggap ko naman ‘yung slow start but we were there.”

Fermin said Ochea is the kind of person who would not intentionally hurt a fellow player.

“Loose ball. Human reaction is magugulat ka. It was not intentional na tamaan si Torres. If you are going to look at the background of Ochea, tahimik na tao at walang history ‘yan. Kaya ako nag-react ng ganun.”

“Kung natamaan niya, unintentional. Hindi intention ng player ko na manakit. It was unintentional na matamaan siya,” added the Adamson coach.

As he was complaining to the referees, Fermin also made a slit-throat gesture, which meant the referees killed the Falcons’ momentum.

“My sign was pinapatay niyo ‘yung momentum namin. We were there tapos tumawag ng ganun. Ano ibig sabihin nun? The momentum was there. I looked at the referees and I said ‘You killed us. You killed our momentum.’”

Fermin said he purposely thrown himself out to drive a point that he will fight for his team.

“I’m fighting for my team. I apologized to the admin for what happened but that was because we want to win. Sabi ko, ‘Ganoon ko kayo ipaglalaban. Okay lang na ako ang ma-thrown out kasi may mga coaches pa ako. Kung may punishment, walang problema pero we will contest ‘yung nangyari kanina,” he said.

Sam Miguel
09-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Adamson coach Mike Fermin says ejection on purpose to drive a point against officiating

September 20, 2015, 05:46 pm

ADAMSON coach Mike Fermin justified his ejection in the team’s game against De La Salle on Sunday in Season 78 of the UAAP, stressing he wanted to make a point about a bad call which he claimed killed the momentum of the rallying Falcons in the stretch run.

Fermin was thrown out of the game during the six-minute mark of the fourth quarter after Dawn Ochea was slapped with an unsportsmanlike foul.

Ochea was called for the infraction following a loose ball play in which he hit La Salle’s Thomas Torres, according to the referees.

The call came as the Falcons are in the midst of a huge comeback, cutting down what was once a huge 28-point deficit to just 54-67.

The Green Archers eventually won the contest, 88-71.

While he admitted the Falcons had a poor start to the game, Fermin said he was frustrated about that particular call since he believed Ochea didn’t intentionally hit Torres.

Fermin was eventually ejected following two consecutive technical fouls called on the Adamson bench and on him.

“One bad call did us eh,” said Fermin. “Well, siguro nung first half, masama talaga start namin. Pero nandoon ‘yung effort ng mga bata.”

“Nanghihinayang ako sa mga effort ng mga bata. Sayang eh. Nandoon ‘yung effort ng mga bata tapos gaganunin lang nila kami. Sa amin, be consistent lang sa officiating. Tanggap ko naman ‘yung slow start but we were there.”

Fermin said Ochea is the kind of person who would not intentionally hurt a fellow player.

“Loose ball. Human reaction is magugulat ka. It was not intentional na tamaan si Torres. If you are going to look at the background of Ochea, tahimik na tao at walang history ‘yan. Kaya ako nag-react ng ganun.”

“Kung natamaan niya, unintentional. Hindi intention ng player ko na manakit. It was unintentional na matamaan siya,” added the Adamson coach.

As he was complaining to the referees, Fermin also made a slit-throat gesture, which meant the referees killed the Falcons’ momentum.

“My sign was pinapatay niyo ‘yung momentum namin. We were there tapos tumawag ng ganun. Ano ibig sabihin nun? The momentum was there. I looked at the referees and I said ‘You killed us. You killed our momentum.’”

Fermin said he purposely thrown himself out to drive a point that he will fight for his team.

“I’m fighting for my team. I apologized to the admin for what happened but that was because we want to win. Sabi ko, ‘Ganoon ko kayo ipaglalaban. Okay lang na ako ang ma-thrown out kasi may mga coaches pa ako. Kung may punishment, walang problema pero we will contest ‘yung nangyari kanina,” he said.

Joescoundrel
10-04-2017, 11:08 AM
I had such high hopes for Adamson going into Season 80, at sa totoo lang mukha namang may ipapakita pa din ang Falcons, they do have a chance to close out Round 1 with a solid 5-2 record, their only losses coming from leaders Ateneo and Lasalle.

Pero ito na naman tayo, bakit ba tila may kulang sa mga bata ni Coach Franz Pumaren?

I really thought, for instance, that Tyrus Hill would be the missing piece at power forward, and that his presence would elevate Adamson to Finals contender status.

Nakakabilib ang ginawa niyang pag-posterize kay Jeepy Faundo on that very athletic drive nung UST game nila.

Pero kung titignan natin talagang malayo pa yata sa katotohanan si Hill, as in he is not even in the Top 10 MVP contenders, with that honor going of course to their import Papi Sarr.

Ang siste dito may edad na si Hill, at ganun din sina Manalang, Camacho, Manganti, not sure about Lojera. All of these guys are 20 or older, kung hindi pa sila nagpapasiklab ngayon, kelan pa?

Hill, according to his declared age, is actually older for example than Thirdy Ravena, and Thirdy is 21. Ganun din ang iba pang core group ng Falcons.

Coach Franz has a good record getting older players, especially Fil-Ams, and making them a championship team like he did during his 4-Peat with Lasalle. Pero ang kaibahan ay immediate impact players dati sina Allado (assistant coach na niya ngayon sa Adamson), Cortez, Wilson, andun din si Ritualo (another assistant coach niya ngayon).

So the question is: when will all of the potential actually become production?

Joescoundrel
10-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Adamson hero Jerrick Ahanmisi irked by close call vs UST: 'We should’ve been better'

UP until the final two minutes of the game, Adamson was in great danger of becoming the first team to lose to University of Santo Tomas in the UAAP Season 80.

Good thing that Jerrick Ahanmisi was there to play messiah for the Falcons, draining crucial shots to lift his squad to a 75-70 victory on Wednesday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The sophomore gunner fired 10 of Adamson's final 12 points, including the go-ahead three pointer and five free throws to tow the Falcons to their seventh win in 11 games.

"No I’m not really thinking about that (losing to UST). I think we just knew as a team we had to win, because it's getting close to the end of the second round," said Ahanmisi.

"We can’t afford to lose any more games for us to be on top of the standings. I guess in the end, the coaches just helped me out a lot," he added.

The younger brother of Rain or Shine stalwart Maverick Ahanmisi was disappointed with how they played against the Tigers, knowing that things shouldn't have been this close in the first place.

"We’re a team that contends for the finals, we should've been better," Ahanmisi continued. "I think that we should just learn from this."

Coach Franz Pumaren wasn't necessarily happy with how the game went, even to the point that he said they were 'lucky to have survived the game,' after 'flirting with disaster.'

"I was so disappointed, they're trying to level down. Nothing against UST, but probably their mindset going to this game, they're winless, they're just gonna lie down,' said Pumaren.

"Knowing UST and their community and their coaches, they have so much pride at stake, they still gave us a scare."

But Pumaren still sees this game as something that can be charged to experience as they enter the final three games of the season.

"This particular game we experienced, it's just a part and parcel of our learning process of being a young team," Pumaren continued.

"At least close games, we were able to survive. It's not that we're gonna cruise along, at least with this victory, we have a hold of third place."

Joescoundrel
11-23-2017, 07:17 AM
No replay of DLSU-Adamson game amid controversy, says UAAP

By: Randolph B. Leongson - Reporter / @RLeongsonINQINQUIRER.net / 03:34 PM November 21, 2017

UAAP commissioner Rebo Saguisag said there will be no replay of the controversial Final Four duel between De La Salle and Adamson at this point.

As it stands, the result remains with the Green Archers taking an 82-75 win over the Soaring Falcons.

"At the moment, again without prejudice to further findings, I don't think offhand that the mistakes at all were that blatant to warrant a reversal or a replay,' he said in an interview with Sports Desk.

"If it involves judgment calls, that's not a criteria for protest. They should be technical in nature, like misappreciation of the rules, misapplication of the mechanics. But if it's judgment calls, it's a different story. That would not warrant a reversal or a replay."

Saguisag shared that though his office has received complaints before, this was the first time that the losing team wasn't the first to raise the issue.

"For the first time in three years, it was a first that aside from the losing team which you expect the complaint from, there are some sectors who checked what happened. So of course, I cannot be insensitive to the public cause at the end of the day, they are the audience. We have to address the outcry," he said.

Saguisag has suspended the three referees Enan Alejo, Ian Borbe, and Mollie de Luna, who officiated the game for the duration of the UAAP Season 80 men's basketball tournament.

"It was our decision. I used the word suspension, but to be clear, suspension can be a form of penalty or a preventive measure. In this case, since our findings are still provisional, so that we can avoid any conflicts, we'll take the three of them out of the referees pool and they get to have a chance to clear their name if warranted," he said.

Joescoundrel
04-23-2018, 07:10 AM
‘I had to move on,' says Tyrus Hill on jump to La Salle from Adamson

The San Jose, California recruit apologizes to Falcons coach Franz Pumaren

Naveen Ganglani
@naveenganglani

Published 11:25 AM, April 22, 2018
Updated 1:35 PM, April 22, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – Former Adamson Soaring Falcons recruit Tyrus Hill said he felt like he had to “move on” when he decided to make the jump to De La Salle University Green Archers.

“I just felt like, me, as a player, it was just getting tough in my position at Adamson and I just felt like I had to move on and see what my other options were,” Hill said in an exclusive interview with Rappler on Saturday, April 21, at the San Juan Arena.

Hill’s decision to leave Adamson irked the Soaring Falcons coaching staff.

The San Jose, California native explained that after deciding to leave Adamson, he had plans of returning to the United States before a familiar face persuaded him to instead move to Taft.

“I was intentionally supposed to go home, and then the recruiter from La Salle two years ago hit me up saying, ‘Ty, do you want to re-consider this, do you want to re-think your options again?’

“I just gave it a little thinking, talked to my parents and see if that’s a good option for me right now since I’m still young, and they were like, ‘go for it, you might as well stay there, you made your name, you’re doing so well. Just have fun with it.’”

Hill and teammate Kurt Lojera, another San Jose product, were spotted around DLSU’s campus early in April which sparked news of the two moving to La Salle. Not long after, an image of both former Falcons wearing Green Archers gear started to spread on social media.

“It’s something we had to make together because that’s like my best friend out here,” Hill said about the decision of both players to move together. Before committing to Adamson in 2016, Hill and Lojera also considered De La Salle.

“We came here, we trained so hard, and this is where we’re supposed to end up so they called us both. They were like, ‘Come on down, we really want you back ASAP.’”

After Hill confirmed the transfer to DLSU, Adamson assistant coach Don Allado blasted him on social media for reportedly lying to his old team.

“He lied to us,” Allado tweeted at the time. “Said he was going San Jose State, a D1 school. With 4 pts a game ave?! Head coach of that school called me & said I don’t know this F*UCKING TYRUS. Tell him to stop using my program!” . G’luck to him.”

“ really doesn’t bother me,” was Hill’s reaction when queried about Allado’s statement. “It’s his opinion, and if people follow his opinion, that’s up to them. I’m really a nice guy. People know that, so it’s okay.”

After losing reigning MVP Ben Mbala, the Rivero Brothers, and head coach Aldin Ayo following the last UAAP season, La Salle gave spectators a first glimpse into the program’s new era under Louie Gonzales on Saturday with an 82-79 victory over the UP Maroons on the opening day of the Filoil preseason tournament.

Hill and Lojera will serve residency for transferring this season, then is expected to make their DLSU debuts in 2019.

“This is a new team so we’re all starting from scratch. We’re trying to build a family thing now instead of everyone knowing La Salle by Ben [Mbala]. Now it’s brand new,” he said, before later adding:

“Hopefully next season we can get a championship too. There’s going to be hype.”

But despite looking forward to the new stage of his career, Hill is also grateful for his time with Adamson.

“I miss them, I love them, they’re fun, they’re energetic. That’s the biggest thing that pumped me up there in games. But sometimes, life moves on. You have to make opportunities, and you have to grab those opportunities.

“I’m glad I got the opportunity from coach Franz [Pumaren], a great coach. Adamson, love them. Hopefully next season is going to be even bigger than I made last year,” said Hill, who averaged 4.0 points and 2.4 boards a game last year.

When asked what he would like to tell Coach Franz, Hill responded:

“I apologize, coach, but I guess it’s time for a new Tyrus to come into UAAP now.” – [I]Rappler.com